Author Topic: Hodgson-Ex manager, current football expert or just a pensioner with views  (Read 8122 times)

Offline Steady Eddie

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
He's a horrible, cowardly scumbag, it's sickening he was ever associated with our club. My hatred of him is probably destroying my endocrine system, I loathe him with everything I've got.

So you're not a fan then hey?  ;)

He is a fucking useless dinosaur, i'd love for him to get a full Jim Jefferies treatment that Piers Moron got a few weeks back 'Oh Fuck off Roy'

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
He hides behind that "distinguished footballing gentleman" persona so that most people think you're deranged or particularly mean spirited if you lay into him. It's only really us who seem to really dislike him. Because he generally did a 'reasonable' job at teams more suited to his level they have fond memories of him. The Liverpool job was way beyond him, which happens, but plenty of managers do a poor job but can leave on relatively good terms but such are his levels of self-preservation and lack of self-awareness he really pissed the majority of us off.

Even though he ultimately failed miserably with England he seems to have got away with it in the eyes of journalists and the public. Compare his treatment to what Taylor and even Bobby Robson got. Far more affable men who achieved more than Hodgson ever has.

Teflon Roy and his legacy is pretty amazing really.

Offline Steady Eddie

• Anny Roader
The thing is Nick, he'll be forgotten in 10 years time.....his 30 odd years in management will become nothing but footnote in football history books, in 20 years people won't even recognise who he is. That is how irrelevant he is....

Offline DivisiveNewSigning

• Legacy Fan
The thing is Nick, he'll be forgotten in 10 years time.....his 30 odd years in management will become nothing but footnote in football history books, in 20 years people won't even recognise who he is. That is how irrelevant he is....

Can someone tell me something he won that is actually impressive? I've always wanted to know.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
It's only really us who seem to really dislike him.

I'm sure there's a fair number of Blackburn Rovers fans who would agree with us. ;)  ;D

But yeah, in this country he seems untouchable.  His level is Fulham and WBA but he's hailed as some kind of mini Ferguson. I'd put him below Allardyce and Pullis to be honest.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Can someone tell me something he won that is actually impressive? I've always wanted to know.

Doesn't matter what he's won. He reads Philip Roth and listens to Puccini. He's great.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
Doesn't matter what he's won. He reads Philip Roth and listens to Puccini. He's great.
Holy shit that's amazing.

Think my favourite part is 'He watches foreign films, not requiring subtitles.' What a leader of men.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!

He'll always be a legend at Malmo. He must be one of their most successful managers ever.

The problem is, England/the UK has a pretty low standard for managers to begin with. Ferguson is the only British managers to have won the league in the last 20 years. Brendan and Keegan are I think the only other ones to come close. You don't need to be a genius to be acclaimed. The fact that Fat Sam managed England says it all.

I think the punters like the comparative polish and err.. competence of foreign managers, but the narrative of football in England still needs British protagonists. That means the likes of Hodgson, Allardyce and Pulis (and IMO even more annoyingly, Dyche) will continue to get column inches. It's just unfortunate that this positioning-by-default of this gang of also-runs as the champions of English football probably means a lack of an epiphany that actually, football management in England will continue to be awful for a long, long time without real change.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
He hides behind that "distinguished footballing gentleman" persona so that most people think you're deranged or particularly mean spirited if you lay into him. It's only really us who seem to really dislike him. Because he generally did a 'reasonable' job at teams more suited to his level they have fond memories of him. The Liverpool job was way beyond him, which happens, but plenty of managers do a poor job but can leave on relatively good terms but such are his levels of self-preservation and lack of self-awareness he really pissed the majority of us off.

Even though he ultimately failed miserably with England he seems to have got away with it in the eyes of journalists and the public. Compare his treatment to what Taylor and even Bobby Robson got. Far more affable men who achieved more than Hodgson ever has.

Teflon Roy and his legacy is pretty amazing really.

This

I'm glad someone brought up that article. I remember reading that article years ago. Reads Kundera and Roth; fluent in a few foreign languages. It doesn't equate to some cosmopolitan sophistication just because he's read The Unbearable Lightness of Being. After all, for one point, it's the same guy who had a moan about Denmark and Norway to a Norwegian journalist after we lost to Everton.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
I had an open mind when Hodgson joined but grew to loathe him the longer he stayed. The spinelessness, arrogance and complete disdain for anyone who had the temerity to expect one of his teams to play attractive football, control a game or aim to finish above mid-table - he should have been sacked even sooner. I knew he'd be catastrophic for England and so it proved, but he appeals to a certain kind of middle-class football fan - generally the sort who go into sports journalism or read the Guardian - because of the 'cultured' persona he cultivated, which apparently made him a far better appointment than Redknapp (someone who had at least managed at a high level, was a good motivator and had a track record of bringing through kids) and meant he had numerous chances to fail.

The truth is that anyone who saw how he operated or listened to his post-match interviews knew the truth. He was a tactical dinosaur who wilted any time he came under any kind of pressure. You can trace a line between him telling Roberto Carlos not to pass the halfway line at Inter to telling Agger to just boot it to the clueless performances by England any time they went into a tournament. Strangely enough, it won't even be his numerous disasters here that stick in the mind for me, more his refusal to watch Iceland so he could take a tour of Paris and his complete contempt for anyone who wanted an explanation after the Iceland defeat. But by then it was something I almost expected.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
I had an open mind when Hodgson joined but grew to loathe him the longer he stayed. The spinelessness, arrogance and complete disdain for anyone who had the temerity to expect one of his teams to play attractive football, control a game or aim to finish above mid-table - he should have been sacked even sooner. I knew he'd be catastrophic for England and so it proved, but he appeals to a certain kind of middle-class football fan - generally the sort who go into sports journalism or read the Guardian - because of the 'cultured' persona he cultivated, which apparently made him a far better appointment than Redknapp (someone who had at least managed at a high level, was a good motivator and had a track record of bringing through kids) and meant he had numerous chances to fail.

I can assure you, as a reader of The Guardian and sports journalism, I have never liked Hodgson from almost the first moment he set foot at Melwood.

But I will admit, I didn't have a very negative view of him, before I had a good view of him. When he hadn't yet been under the Liverpool microscope, my vague recollection was that he was a somewhat unexciting, if gentlemanly chap who'd had some success with Fulham and who'd miraculously made it to the EL final. Before he became Liverpool's manager, I would have been pretty happy for him to manage England.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
Forgot about him taking a tour of Paris, as his assistant had never visited it, rather than watching Iceland. It sums up the entire attitude to the job.

Offline planet-terror

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
bollocks

Offline dalarr

• hästarr. Call me sensitive.
  • Legacy Fan
We'll see if his methods translate across continents. A true globetrotter, is Roy.
« Last Edit: April 6, 2017, 06:48:43 pm by dalarr »

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Just leave him in the Outback for fuck sakes.

Offline pyroparty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I know an awesome girl who's just moved to the beautiful city that is Melbourne. Or was, that miserable c*nt will suck all the joy out of it even for non football fans.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Just leave him in the Outback for fuck sakes.

I'm a celebwity get me out of here.

Offline Redsnappa

• Pining for No.20
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks Shanks for Tosh and Kev.
Sums it up for me ...

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
i like how they mention his 40 years experience

Hodgson has 40 years experience of football in the same way I have 40 years experience of going the toilet.  Which is rather coincidental, seeing as Hodgson's footballing experience amounts to him taking the piss.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
An incredible fucking spoofer. Lord knows how he does it. Detest the prick. A massive stain on our clubs great managerial history. Wanker.

Offline McSquared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Nearly far enough away

Offline Tesco tearaway

• Would just LUUUUUUURVE to 'swipe your clubcard', ooooooh matron!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
His lasting legacy  ;D

Musical walkabout
If your moral compass is Piers Moron then I ask you to think whether someone who oversaw illegal phone hacking and published fake pictures depicting War Crimes is an appropriate person to look up to. In fact, I'd suggest you're a bit of a c*nt.

Offline pyroparty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
An incredible fucking spoofer. Lord knows how he does it. Detest the prick. A massive stain on our clubs great managerial history. Wanker.

Yep. I'll take my hatred of him to my grave. It's probably destroying my endocrine system but he's such a c*nt I can't let go!!

Offline elbow

• grease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss Tha
Nearly far enough away

I live in Melbourne, not good news at all.

Looking on the bright side I do own sizeable shares in Werthers Originals.
We are Liverpool!

Online 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
Hodgson has 40 years experience of football in the same way I have 40 years experience of going the toilet.  Which is rather coincidental, seeing as Hodgson's footballing experience amounts to him taking the piss.
Don't the aussies have lethal spiders that hide under the bog seat? He might find taking the piss a bit more risky out there
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us."

Offline Davidbowie

• Legacy Fan
  • The Thin White Duke
Can't stand Hodgson, his arrogance and self-congratulatory attitude. If anything at all went well for his team, it was always BECAUSE of him, never because of his players or the supporters (of whatever club he was at).

The man thinks himself an elite level manager because he won the incredibly high standard Swedish and Danish league titles in the 70's/80's.
He's even been quoted as saying ''Of course, my track record, if people bothered to study it, would put me in the same category as [Sir Alex] Ferguson enjoys today, but people don't talk about what I've done outside England''

The man fails to take into account his numerous failures though, including at Inter Milan, where the fans pelted him with missiles and he also sold Roberto Carlos after not being convinced about him!

He was sacked by Blackburn Rovers with them bottom of the Premier League and we all know what happened at LFC and with England - and yet, STILL Hodgson will tell anyone willing to listen what a success he's been and how long he's managed, despite never winning a major trophy in his own country in his 40 year career.

If Hodgson was made of chocolate he'd eat himself. He's a fraud, a serial loser and quite simply the WORST manager I have ever seen in charge at Liverpool FC and I think he'll always hold that title.
FAME makes a man take things over