Author Topic: Mass Effect Andromeda  (Read 25509 times)

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
Re: Mass Effect Andromeda
« Reply #200 on: March 27, 2017, 05:29:38 pm »
I propose we go into cryosleep until all the bugs are fixed or until Cyberpunk 2077 comes out some time next year ;) ;D :wave

The problem is that they're not really bugs as such.  I don't think that the majority of the things that people seem unhappy about are going to get fixed.  As for cyberpunk, I very much doubt we'll see that before mid 2018.  It's likely gonna be worth the wait though. 

“Cyberpunk is far bigger than anything else that CD Projekt Red has done before,” visual effects artist Jose Teixeira told MCV. “Far, far bigger. We're really stepping into the unknown in terms of complexity and size and problems we encounter.”

Far bigger than the witcher 3!?  FAP!

Online PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #201 on: March 27, 2017, 05:30:51 pm »
Having played this for a few days I am absolutely loving it.

Sometimes the graphics do go a bit funny as reported but has been very few and far between occurrences. I have just cleared the second planet, I am really liking the story and whatnot.

I also have enjoyed multiplayer but even on Bronze I have been getting absolutely owned haha but sometimes there are some proper rookies playing and its hard when all some people do is die.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #202 on: March 27, 2017, 05:38:05 pm »
That's a very long post, but in all that you've said you've not played it. Therefore your opinions on the characters are null and void. Hell I'm quite a few hours into it and I'm still getting to know them all so wouldn't like to commit to saying whether they're any good or not.
Yeah, hence why I made the point about me not having played it yet. However, as I've said, it's got that thing happening to it in the same way Star Wars has as far as new and interesting characters go, and it's almost a unanimous criticism of the game thus far that I've read or heard. One of the original series strong points was it's introduction of interesting side characters as it went along, at the very least, from an aesthetic design perspective. The likes of Illusive Man, Miranda, Jack, Zeed, even introducing a visual updates and representations of the likes of Edi. They were all compelling, well designed and interesting in their own way, and more importantly, they all looked individually unique and had equally diverse personalities. All those things are vital to any pop culture sci-fi, and from what I've seen from ME:A, that degree of diverse design is lacking. If you want proof of this, ask any Star Wars fan what the most memorable thing was from the Star Wars prequels, and most will say Darth Maul. Never spoke a word, but he was memorable for the fact that he stood out because he had a really cool design, and had a cool weapon. It's all you need.

Now, I'm not saying that ME:A is a bad game, but from a point of view that made the originals as good as they were, from what I've seen of it, they've went with the lowest denominator design wise. It's as if they'd a check list of things to put in there, ticked them off, and just settled for what they eventually put out.

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #203 on: March 27, 2017, 05:41:06 pm »
SNIP....

I could be wrong about that, but to me it seems like they've completely missed the point of the originals, and just taken elements from it that they know fans would recognise, and called it a Mass Effect game. It doesn't feel like it was made by the same people. It feels like an homage, and that's a bloody shame, because I can't see how they rectify any of those problems with future iterations.

if it doesn't feel like it was made by the same people (haven't played it yet) it's because it wasn't made by the same people.  All that any of the current team had a hand in were the ME3 multiplayer and some DLC work.  Different writers and a different team.  The old BioWare is dead as a door-nail.

Offline voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #204 on: March 27, 2017, 06:40:11 pm »
Yeah, hence why I made the point about me not having played it yet. However, as I've said, it's got that thing happening to it in the same way Star Wars has as far as new and interesting characters go, and it's almost a unanimous criticism of the game thus far that I've read or heard. One of the original series strong points was it's introduction of interesting side characters as it went along, at the very least, from an aesthetic design perspective. The likes of Illusive Man, Miranda, Jack, Zeed, even introducing a visual updates and representations of the likes of Edi. They were all compelling, well designed and interesting in their own way, and more importantly, they all looked individually unique and had equally diverse personalities. All those things are vital to any pop culture sci-fi, and from what I've seen from ME:A, that degree of diverse design is lacking. If you want proof of this, ask any Star Wars fan what the most memorable thing was from the Star Wars prequels, and most will say Darth Maul. Never spoke a word, but he was memorable for the fact that he stood out because he had a really cool design, and had a cool weapon. It's all you need.

Now, I'm not saying that ME:A is a bad game, but from a point of view that made the originals as good as they were, from what I've seen of it, they've went with the lowest denominator design wise. It's as if they'd a check list of things to put in there, ticked them off, and just settled for what they eventually put out.

Again, you're making a judgement about something you've no experience of and opinions on characters you know nothing about.

Whether you like characters as a whole or as individuals is a subjective thing at the best of times, and there are plenty of people around who think these characters are amazing just as there are some whoe think they're not so good. Personally, I haven't decided yet like I've said.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #205 on: March 27, 2017, 08:15:49 pm »
Just going to type some random thoughts on all the recent discussion, I'll be interrupted by the kids every ten seconds so if it's scatty blame them ;D

While Macphisto can fairly be pulled up for not having actually played it, he's not too far off in most of the things he's written.

It's always strange to revisit universes where there's an original story, beloved by millions, and just the basic tenets (seeing familiar faces, uniforms or locations, or in sci-fi's case, often vehicles, alien races) will give you the feelings, the reminiscences - exactly the same thing happened with the Force Awakens, or also when bands reform with the classic lineup - there's both a warming rush of enjoyment as the memories come flooding back, and then later, in the cold light of day, comes the evaluation.

Does it live up to the expectations? Does it merely exploit the memories, or build on them, enhance them? Can a revisit to a universe really transcend the work in which that very universe or environment was created?

I'm constantly torn. Sometimes, i just want to jib the rational evaluation and bask in the nostalgia. Others, I tear things apart and build a negative narrative in the mind, you know the type, cash-in, or sellout, which I usually reserve for musical endeavours of which I don't approve as frankly I don't care as much about films, games or other media.

My brain makes the decisions for me, it tricks me. I loved seeing the Stone Roses play their first show together for god knows how many years with the original lineup, I closed my eyes and listened to them play and the world around me just drifted away, the disgusting Mancymancmonkeymancness of it all, the corporate sponsorship, the fact its a blatant retirement cash grab after they hated each other for years. After all, I'd paid for it, I was prepared to allow my brain to filter out the gnawing feeling in the back of the mind.

Mass Effect Andromeda, for me, retains enough of the original 'feels', and is sufficiently removed from the original experience for me to enjoy it. After all, can I be arsed going in the loft, digging out and hooking up the 360, and sorting it to play the original trilogy? I can't experience how it how I did the first time I played ME2 - unencumbered by the responsibilities of kids, free to spend hours in the twilight hours, stoned, digging the music as I mined for minerals on far off planets, and led my Shepherd through his trials and tribulations. I played it after just buying my first HDTV, coming to the generation late, and it blew my mind, what videogames could now do.

This leap was never going to be possible for me with Andromeda, I've not taken any gaps from gaming, and I can see umpteen videos of great-looking games I'll never have time to play anyway. Ironically for a game built around a Pathfinder, there's no trailblazing to be done in Andromeda. But to be honest, can the Mass Effect series ever do this again?

It's not like Zelda as a series, which has already undergone massive transformations over the course of its lifetime - it doesn't get to do radical reinventions, its from a ruthlessly commercially orientated company (EA) who have taken monetising gaming to a new level with things like FIFA Ultimate Team. I'm just glad we got it in any form resembling the originals, thinking what it could have been in worse circumstances.

The fact that none of the original team or writers are involved is certainly some form of mitigation - with the original trilogy, the design is such that the creators are searching for something, trying to find a form of game and a narrative that presents something people like me had not experienced. With Andromeda, so many concepts are already set, the game is constrained by expectation. There's not the same thing to search for, as the path is already pretty clear, and any deviation from that risks the commercial gravy train in a way which most companies are afraid to. There's not the same (emotional?) connection with the series. I still think they've tried, I don't think its a game without care and attention. But perhaps the overall commercial machine has just ground up the game and forced cut corners in certain places.

As said above, I still think there'll be a patch which will fix a lot of the problems - not that that is in any way a good thing, fixing it after the fact - but it is common practice today. Things like Skyrim were buggy as hell and ridiculous when they came out, but the experience was such that we almost universally forgave it, accepted the trade-offs in return for the great experiences and freedom. This installment of ME is obviously trying to move towards a more open world approach, for good and bad - which it certainly is both - its bound to bring teething problems. To compare to things like Skyrim, in the Mass Effect universe interaction is far more important.

One of the things I like about the series in particular is the way in which your actions effect the characters around you, they respond differently. I remember Skyrim being quite ridiculous in that NPCs would ignore a lot about you if you happened to want a quest from them 'Yeah I'm sound your obvo a bad vampire wearing no clothes and carrying a phallic Daedric weapon of unknown crafting as I need you to go and clear out this barrow lid'. Mass Effect is trying to build an open world where this dissonance is reduced, and some of it works great, but also a few oddities are present, which I think overall I forgive because of the scale of it.

I still think its enjoyable, just as I did with the Force Awakens, and I don't think it's anywhere near the level of 'botching a return to a beloved series' as say Indiana Jones and The Crystal Skull or Home Alone 3. I guess you could say that the downside is is that it's not Resident Evil 4, or a similar game that stepped out into a different vibe but felt like forward motion. It might ultimately end up a bit of a hollow experience in comparison to the original adventure with Shepard, but I'm looking forward to finding out if that's the case. I knew it could never be Mass Effect 2 for the first time again. Or even Mass Effect 3 (I played the first one after the second two, not the best move!) It's all moved on, and so have I, and this is taking me back to that place, just close enough, give or take a few cryo freezes, so I am still eager to investigate it, and wish I had just turned on the PS4 instead of starting this post ;D

It all sounds like excuses, but maybe its rationalisation. I'm unsure. 8)
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #206 on: March 27, 2017, 11:18:40 pm »
At the end of the day, it depends on what you expect from the game. Do you want to have another Mass Effect 1-3? Don't buy the game and play the original trilogy. Andromeda was never going to be anything else than a new story (with a different approach) in the same universe. If that's what you want, i.e. have a new adventure in the Mass Effect-universe, then get this game. We could argue all day whether Andromeda is better or worse than the trilogy or whether it is too goofy or too whatever. That's down to your personal taste.

What I have seen so far from the game (and that's probably around 15 hours) it makes sense to me as a game world. The characters behave they way you'd expect them from how you've gotten to know them. They also behave in a way you'd expect they do in the world/story they are in. I have gotten into the game and I want to know what happens in the overall story, but I also want to know more about the characters and the world they live in (which is not the Milky Way like in the original trilogy). It's different, but in my view the whole package is as fascinating as the original. In the end, the game has nothing to do with the Shepard-trilogy, other than it is set in the same universe. So, it's fine, if it's different (more humorous, slightly less serious or whatever).

In terms of bugs or shite animation, again it depends on whether you look for stuff like that or whether it doesn't really bother you. The way I play games, I don't really mind if the facial animations are wrong at times (and I don't think they are wrong that often). Then again, I started gaming when you were watching numbers on a screen blink to know whether your team scored a goal in footy manager or 2D-characters with huge heads ran around a house with a crazy family in it and a meteorite in the cellar or wherever that was. Those bug-videos are amusing, but they are also misleading as the actual game is probably not that bad. The worst thing is definitely the running/walking animation that is really something that stands out and it looks weird. The facial animations or other mistakes not so much. There is a scene in that video posted above where Peebee shoots her gun holding it the wrong way. If you play the game and watch that scene, you'll probably not even realise that. Stop the scene, put a picture of the weapon model in and yes, there it is plain to see. To be honest, I don't care about stuff like that. Having said that, you can see that this game has been put together sloppily and I've already said that in this thread. It's just that it is still an enjoyable game despite all that.

I also have to say that I haven't had any major bugs yet. So, the experience might be different for other people...

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #207 on: March 28, 2017, 02:51:04 am »
I've been enjoying it for what it is. The trilogy had a much more compelling story element (just take the beginning of 3 as an example) and the characters seem much more memorable (whether someone like the Illusive Man or, my favorite, Mordin). Andromeda needs time to settle really. To fill out. Not so long back I ran through the original Mass Effect and Andromeda is probably best compared to that. It's not really quite sure what it wants to be yet. A lot of the dialogue would fit easily into the chats characters would have over the background sound of lift music. There's a solid base there to build on. Hope the thieving sods at EA don't take the piss too much with DLC to get there!

Major bugs on PC I've run into was that initial problem with running it full screen (alt-enter to get to the main menu and then borderless window in visual display) and just the general irritation Win 10 brings to games (set Origin and Andromeda to run as administrator cures most of them). Nothing game breaking. Actually pleasantly surprised at how smoothly it runs on my system. Constant 45 fps with preset High settings on a 4gb 960 and a moderately overclocked 1055T. Was expecting to need to replace at least my CPU (and motherboard).

« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 02:54:00 am by Zeb »
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline thelinnen

• Tepid Water Lite. Serial Moaner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #208 on: March 28, 2017, 07:48:28 pm »
The fact that it was available for pre order at Ł49.99 on Origin just shows EA's arrogance. Someone play tested it and green lighted it thinking it was worth that sort of money.

It's not just the animations, the voice acting and dialogue in general is inferior to the previous three games. The faces wouldn't look out of place on the PS3 or Xbox 360.

It reminds me of Fallout 4 in that it's veered away from what made it great and focused more on shooty bang bang moments.
Then in the midddle out pops a smiling glen johnson pulling up his jersey to reveal a t-shirt of suarez with a text saying. "OUR SUAREZ IS A FRIEND TO ALL COLOURS!"

Offline voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #209 on: March 28, 2017, 11:40:40 pm »
The fact that it was available for pre order at Ł49.99 on Origin just shows EA's arrogance. Someone play tested it and green lighted it thinking it was worth that sort of money.

It's not just the animations, the voice acting and dialogue in general is inferior to the previous three games. The faces wouldn't look out of place on the PS3 or Xbox 360.

It reminds me of Fallout 4 in that it's veered away from what made it great and focused more on shooty bang bang moments.

couldn't disagree more.

I've gone literally hours between shooting anything and I'm now at a point where there are loads of mysteries and intrigue that I'm interested in getting to the bottom of. I've gone into this with an open mind and I'm thoroughly enjoying it now.

Offline LiverLuke

• RAWK's Respectable Poster Boy :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #210 on: March 29, 2017, 12:43:25 pm »
yeah I'm getting into it and really enjoying it, it's mass effect. Despite the dodgy human faces and animations I'm still getting a familiar mass effect experience that I loved.

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #211 on: March 29, 2017, 06:06:35 pm »
45 hours in and finally got a second ark to join the Nexus. I think I'm deeply invested in this now. Meeting the new race was very underwhelming, but sometimes I chat with someone like Peebee or Vetra who really do feel NEW and I just can't believe that we've got a whole new Mass Effect experience.

Offline nick_8589

• Kopite
« Reply #212 on: March 29, 2017, 09:33:35 pm »
I think jaal was just naked...... what the hell have I just seen 😳 Why are their bodies like that 😂

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #213 on: March 30, 2017, 12:26:04 am »
45 hours in and finally got a second ark to join the Nexus. I think I'm deeply invested in this now. Meeting the new race was very underwhelming, but sometimes I chat with someone like Peebee or Vetra who really do feel NEW and I just can't believe that we've got a whole new Mass Effect experience.

It has a habit of throwing away what should be great moments in a really mediocre way. It's odd. Will spoiler tag a bit.
Spoiler
Like the father's death is just absent any emotional content whatsoever. "Your dad's died, you're the new pathfinder, see you upstairs". Wut? Although Drack does send you an e-mail full of shotgun pr0n to cheer you up, which is pretty much spot on character writing
[close]

What hooked me was the initial
Spoiler
vault with the Remnant. Kept expecting to bump into the Necron from 40k universe!
[close]
Vetra has really grown on me. Drack has some great lines to overhear as well.

"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #214 on: March 30, 2017, 02:54:14 am »

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #215 on: March 30, 2017, 03:16:41 am »
It has a habit of throwing away what should be great moments in a really mediocre way. It's odd. Will spoiler tag a bit.
Spoiler
Like the father's death is just absent any emotional content whatsoever. "Your dad's died, you're the new pathfinder, see you upstairs". Wut? Although Drack does send you an e-mail full of shotgun pr0n to cheer you up, which is pretty much spot on character writing
[close]

What hooked me was the initial
Spoiler
vault with the Remnant. Kept expecting to bump into the Necron from 40k universe!
[close]
Vetra has really grown on me. Drack has some great lines to overhear as well.

Spoiler
For me it was going to Aya and walking around super slow behind someone, with no fanfare theme, no crowd whispers of surprise/curiosity, no SAM in my ear commenting. I yelled out 'BORING!' at the monitor. Supposed to be an iconic moment for all parties involved and its a true damp squib.
[close]

Offline stoa

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #216 on: March 30, 2017, 08:53:41 am »
Spoiler
For me it was going to Aya and walking around super slow behind someone, with no fanfare theme, no crowd whispers of surprise/curiosity, no SAM in my ear commenting. I yelled out 'BORING!' at the monitor. Supposed to be an iconic moment for all parties involved and its a true damp squib.
[close]

Spoiler
There is whispering though? At least, when I got there people I passed were saying stuff about me. There is even one instance where some bystander said "Oh, what is IT doing here?" or something like that. When roaming around Aya later, I met the guy and there was even an option to let him know I heard him call me "it" and he apologised.

I agree though that the bit was somewhat underwhelming. And I might have missed it, but how is it possible that all Angarans know how to speak our language? That's just a bit odd.

As far as the father's dead is concerned, I think that was somewhat appropriate. You have that final scene on the planet before everything fades to black and there does some to be some emotion in it. But overall, I just feel that it shows the relationship he seemed to have with his kids which wasn't actually that deep. I mean, you even get the option to say so during the dialogue. The whole "You're the new Pathfinder" is also somehow fitting the situation. I mean you have an ark that's stranded in space and some dude has been made Pathfinder. You might as well get on with it. I find it weirder that it basically took the Angara five minutes to trust Ryder and give him all those tasks. I would have preferred the relationship to grow over time.
[close]

Have played about 18 hours now and still find it enjoyable. One thing I don't like though is the dialogue-wheel. I hate it when the lines you can choose from are different from what is actually said afterwards. There are some choices where there's basically a sentence like "What the hell is going on here?" and if you choose that instead of saying that line Ryder goes on to say something like "Oh golly, I wonder what is transpiring here?" Completely unnecessary in my view and it pisses me off... ;)

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: March 30, 2017, 09:13:48 am »
Was totally silent in my game! Will hope it was a bug or glitch and it plays out better in the next playthrough

Offline voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #218 on: March 30, 2017, 09:45:31 am »
The dialogue wheel issue has been a thing for a few games now. Though it did lead to some hilarity when a I picked what seemed to be some kind of generic 'defiant' response and what my dude actually said was "I will fuck your shit up"

Offline stoa

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #219 on: March 30, 2017, 10:47:41 am »
It's not necessarily that he says completely different stuff. It's just that he says it in a completely different way than it says on the dialogue wheel. Especially, when there's a whole sentence there. I'd love it if he actually said "What the fuck is going on here?" as suggested on the dialogue wheel, because five seconds earlier those were exactly my thoughts. Yet, when I pick that option it's nothing like that. That just makes my blood boil. Not only in this game but in every game that does it. If you don't let me pick the exact things my character says at least give me a good description of what it will be when I make my choice...

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #220 on: March 30, 2017, 11:35:59 am »
Was totally silent in my game! Will hope it was a bug or glitch and it plays out better in the next playthrough

I had the sound and still thought the same as you. :D Noticed that sometimes the sound can be really odd. Not only is it responsive to the direction your facing but it also can be very, very quiet.

Spoiler
Just the dad thing. The e-mails you get give responses from characters which do make much more sense. So it's there, but they've just chosen to pretty much ignore it in interactions with everyone but Cora being passive aggressive about you being pathfinder.
[close]

Offline voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #221 on: March 30, 2017, 12:02:20 pm »
Something's happening on Tuesday according to a release they put out. Not sure what though

Offline abs-ibs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #222 on: March 30, 2017, 12:35:18 pm »
What I would say about this game is it is almost, not quite but almost as enjoyable as the original trilogy. It still feels Mass Effect, but it feels like a mash up of Mass Effect and Dragon Age. Like a Mass Effect: Inquisition type of mongrel.

That in and of itself is not a bad thing. It is much more expansive and exploratory and much less linear. The biggest downfall in the game are the human facial features, and maybe the clarity of the reticle as you aim down the sight. All could have been done much better. But even so the overall singleplayer experience coupled with a few hours of multiplayer to break up the lengthy storyline is a very fun game to play. I am happy with the variety of enemies and some of the little side quests are fun to discover.

I think the creators have seen the popularity of how well the Witcher 3 was liked and have tried to copy that a little, and truthfully they have done quite well. It won't be classed as a classic like the original 3 were but the very low scores and derision it has received are very far of the mark/ It's a decent rpg and a fun shooting experience.

Gotta LOVE making those biotic explosions :D
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 01:13:38 am by abs-ibs »

Offline Anfield89

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #223 on: March 31, 2017, 06:21:49 am »
Had a glitch where having returned to my ship I needed to speak to Drack, my waypoint indicated he was below even though I was on the bottom deck and he was on the middle deck. I went to his usual spot at first there he was back to me busy doing something and I was unable to speak to him. I checked the map it was showing he was elsewhere, so I went to that room there he was spoke to him fine. When I had finished speaking to him there were two Dracks.

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #224 on: March 31, 2017, 07:28:19 am »
Something's happening on Tuesday according to a release they put out. Not sure what though

Public execution of the lead animator.   ;D 

Offline voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #225 on: March 31, 2017, 07:35:07 am »
I'm hoping for something which fixes the fact that my group never speak to one another while I'm out and about. It happened for a bit while I was driving around voeld and it added so much to the game, some of the interaction was legit funny.

Offline Anfield89

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: March 31, 2017, 07:53:52 am »
I'm hoping for something which fixes the fact that my group never speak to one another while I'm out and about. It happened for a bit while I was driving around voeld and it added so much to the game, some of the interaction was legit funny.

I had the same Jaal asking Drack loads of questions. Didn't get much when it was Cora and Drack or I just haven't noticed il keep an eye on that.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #227 on: March 31, 2017, 08:00:23 am »
Another niggle is when a crew member is part of the conversation with an NPC but isn't close enough to join in and the conversation ploughs on with silent gaps in their absence. Subtitles help but it's still an issue. The sound generally is doing odd things when talking to NPCs - frequently far too quiet. And there are way too many times where crew members and NPCs just talk over each other. Wouldn't be at all impressed if chat between crew members dried up. (On Voeld, Peabee and Jaarl didn't shut up!)

Had some weird glitches yesterday evening. A few times saves wouldn't load and required the game to be reset. Other times I was getting DirectX 11 errors and driver crashes (am using latest NVidia ones) which didn't return after I dicked about with page file settings (ended up letting Win 10 decide what to use and no issues since, touch wood).

Know it's unlikely they'll sort out the animation issues any time soon (it's a problem with how they've done them from ground up isn't it?) but sorting out some of the sound issues would be very nice.

Offline Anfield89

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #228 on: March 31, 2017, 08:21:13 am »
Had no sound issues but I'm not playing it on PC.

Not had an issue with crew being too far away when talking either maybe in subconsciously wait for them though.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #229 on: March 31, 2017, 09:10:51 am »
No idea what it's like with console versions but, on the PC, the companions wander all over the shop and have crazy pathing. If they don't path close enough to the NPC at the initiation of the conversation then they don't join in when they should. Also screws up if the NPC is at a different height to Ryder (eg one conversation with a mechanic who is beneath you is conducted into empty space) and there are often limited places around an NPC at which one can even initiate conversation (can't be too close, can't be too far, can't be from certain angles etc).

Just niggles really. Stuff which should have been picked up in beta testing but obviously fell through the holes as they pushed things out.

Offline stoa

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #230 on: March 31, 2017, 09:45:44 am »
Don't know how different the versions are, but I've not had serious issues with NPCs or their placement on PS4. There are cases where you have to navigate carefully around them to be able to get that prompt that allows you to talk to them. And sometimes the camera goes awol and shows the characters' legs or thin air. However, that's not a huge problem for me. It tends to happen in those kind of games. Not saying they could have avoided it by doing a better job, but I think I've gotten used to this kind of thing happening.

I've found another thing that feels kind of rushed and it's about outposts (will put it in spoiler-tags so no one can complain).

Spoiler
I just got my outpost on Voeld and didn't really like the way it was done. You get to the place where the outpost can be built, activate a beacon and ten seconds later Ryder is standing in some building talking with some lady. Why not make a bigger deal about it? I would have loved it, if you had to ask someone for permission to build the outpost and then it was there after that. Or if you had to at least travel to a different planet while the outpost is built. Or if there was a cut-scene showing the people arrive and build the whole thing. Didn't like how it's basically instantaneous.
[close]

Offline Anfield89

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #231 on: March 31, 2017, 09:48:48 am »
Always been pretty close around me unless I've instructed them not to be.

It is crazy. Almost every game i find more things wrong in the first few hours/days of play than they seem to in development or since a beta test.

Not always big issues just things that could be better or little glitches.

Offline Anfield89

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: March 31, 2017, 09:49:21 am »
Would have been handy to be able to rotate the map.

Offline JP!

• An infinite ocean of joy. May in fact be the reincarnation of the Buddha.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Save us Fowler
    • Cranky Englishman - Yes, that's me.
« Reply #233 on: April 2, 2017, 11:29:24 am »
I love it.
I don't agree, he'd go to Legoland. Bye.

Offline voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #234 on: April 2, 2017, 11:36:19 am »
I finished up what I wanted to do yesterday, and yes it does have some technical issues but I really enjoyed it.

I'm looking forward to playing it again, but only when it's been patched.

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #235 on: April 4, 2017, 09:57:29 am »
Finally got around to sticking a few hours into this and cleared Eos. It's got the all the makings there of a great game! Loved clearing the vault. Felt a little like Halo crossed with GoW in there  ;D ;D ;D 8)

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #236 on: April 4, 2017, 10:26:56 pm »
Patch out on thursday that will fix the following:

After that, they're focussing on:

So 3 months after release... it will be the game we should've had at release ;D

Offline voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #237 on: April 4, 2017, 10:36:59 pm »
all good stuff. but some dense motherfuckers out there if they can't do the 4x4 puzzles.

Offline stoa

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #238 on: April 4, 2017, 11:03:44 pm »
I just find the symbols annoying. Use numbers or letters FFS... ;)

Offline Anfield89

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #239 on: April 5, 2017, 12:28:51 am »
Yeh don't see a promblem with the decryption prices I haven't used any yet I just do them. Inventory is fine too.