Author Topic: A Thread for Writers to talk about Writing.  (Read 14497 times)

Offline Skidder.

• Minster. Aka The Censored Baron XII. I remember watching that as a skid!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
A Thread for Writers to talk about Writing.
« on: January 4, 2016, 08:19:17 pm »
Update: People looking to see what a writing syndicate should check out this post - which also includes a list of Freelance Content Mills. Short form - if you would like to join in, please add me on my business number whatsapp 07719670094 (Which only check every few days).

If anyone wants access to a host of competitions and up and coming open submissions for - please add Let's Screenplay on Facebook, also looking for someone who may be looking to help out with pro-bono content/videos on there.

In addition, anyone want to ply their wares with regard to TV reviews - been working on something with another member from here. Basically, it is a way of building up our portfolios, and with the advent of TV 3.0, TV review sites will see a second wind. Please get me on the Whatsapp listed above if you are interested.

Original Topic:

So, my New Years Resolution was to up my output. I know there are quite a few writers on these boards so I was wondering how a thread like this would float. I've seen one or two threads of similar persuasion, but nothing has really stuck - nothing as a resource for competitions, open calls and general writery related stuff.

I'm personally in a number of Facebook groups for Writers and have some briefs that come through some of my subscriptions. Additionally, I am also back to doing penny-a-word content on various content forums.

Anyhow here goes:

So Red Planet Media have a yearly competition for new writers - they were behind TV series 'Life on Mars' and 'Dickensian'. I've applied once or twice before and I met a guy up in Glasgow who took part in their judging.

http://www.redplanetpictures.co.uk/the-red-planet-prize

I'm going to be applying myself and am currently working on my synopsis - I find the synopsis the most difficult part of the process. Would very much welcome any opinions on what makes a good synopsis or one page breakdown.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 02:08:51 am by Kidder. »
Continually on 11,420.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: A Thread for Writers to talk about Writing.
« Reply #1 on: January 4, 2016, 08:30:13 pm »
Been struggling with terrible writer's block for well over a decade.  I think it's to do with my OCD and I keep painting myself into corners or overthinking stuff. 

I'd welcome an opportunity to connect with other writers in the hopes I can get out of the rut. :)
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #2 on: January 4, 2016, 08:44:37 pm »
Been struggling with terrible writer's block for well over a decade.  I think it's to do with my OCD and I keep painting myself into corners or overthinking stuff. 

I'd welcome an opportunity to connect with other writers in the hopes I can get out of the rut. :)

An open call with a binge of my favourite TV show usually does the trick.

I remember a guy up in Glasgow (I attended a lot of shit conferences up there), cast Writer's Block as the subconscious minds way of telling you that you haven't prepared enough.

I think Writer's Block is a subjective thing that can be made up of a number of elements. I find that it isn't just one thing and can be tackled in various ways. I had a bad time on a script I was working on for a module on my MA - I somewhat got over it by changing my laptop. You can break WB down to a number of different root causes and if you can identify the possible root causes, you can then tinker with your workflow to see if you can self-asses/moderate.

I've seen some fucked up processes and nearly all of the writers attached experienced WB at some point. There was even a girl on the BA Creative Writing course who used to call it 'stalemate'. She argued that writing a good story is like playing a game of chess - you are essentially competing against the reader.
Continually on 11,420.

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
  • the king: making grown men feel like 10-year olds
« Reply #3 on: January 4, 2016, 09:37:00 pm »
So, my New Years Resolution was to up my output. I know there are quite a few writers on these boards so I was wondering how a thread like this would float. I've seen one or two threads of similar persuasion, but nothing has really stuck - nothing as a resource for competitions, open calls and general writery related stuff.

I'm personally in a number of Facebook groups for Writers and have some briefs that come through some of my subscriptions. Additionally, I am also back to doing penny-a-word content on various content forums.

Anyhow here goes:

So Red Planet Media have a yearly competition for new writers - they were behind TV series 'Life on Mars' and 'Dickensian'. I've applied once or twice before and I met a guy up in Glasgow who took part in their judging.

http://www.redplanetpictures.co.uk/the-red-planet-prize

I'm going to be applying myself and am currently working on my synopsis - I find the synopsis the most difficult part of the process. Would very much welcome any opinions on what makes a good synopsis or one page breakdown.

thanks for starting this thread, and for the red planet link, even though it is probably too late to get anything together now.  apart from anything else, i don't think it's enough time for me to get over the inevitable "i can't do that" wall...

i think in this case they are not asking for a typical synopsis (which summarises the story in a script), but more about "how the series works" - so more a description of characters/arcs/dynamics across multiple episodes, even if you haven't written them yet.  that could make it easier or harder to impress, depending on how well-thought-out your ideas are :)
Dudek saaaaves for Liverpoool!  Liverpool have won the Champions' League!  Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart!

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #4 on: January 4, 2016, 09:45:40 pm »
thanks for starting this thread, and for the red planet link, even though it is probably too late to get anything together now.  apart from anything else, i don't think it's enough time for me to get over the inevitable "i can't do that" wall...

i think in this case they are not asking for a typical synopsis (which summarises the story in a script), but more about "how the series works" - so more a description of characters/arcs/dynamics across multiple episodes, even if you haven't written them yet.  that could make it easier or harder to impress, depending on how well-thought-out your ideas are :)

Well, yes - but I should say that this is a second swipe at this idea. The reason why I am hung up on the synopsis (which is not really needed for Red Planet per se), is that I feel it needs to be fully developed. I am thinking of filming a 5-minute pitch in support of my application, so I feel that the Synopsis/Overview needs to be spot on before a story document.

I think I've mentioned it once or twice on this forum, but it is the story about a small Shropshire-based film production company in 1940s wartime Britain. It was an interesting time and an era that could provide story arcs from true events - by basing the concept on a studio (like Downton), you can pretty much introduce new characters with minimal fuss.

There is the political side to consider too - the propaganda machine was in full flow and a number of production companies switched to wartime dramas whilst America produced the action.

Ostensibly, the relationship between Hollywood and London at the time could also be explored.

Anyhow - period dramas with a good lynchpin is the way forward I think. If you look at what floats well at the moment, it is all, in some form or another - period dramas. It is as if the BFI have submitted to America and is now focussed on our ability to recount historical events in a really corny and on-the-nose manner. 
Continually on 11,420.

Online S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #5 on: January 4, 2016, 10:04:02 pm »
I've often toyed with the idea of making a thread like this. I read a lot, but have only recently gotten into writing for enjoyment. Years of essays on subjects I'm disinterested in wore me out I suppose. Then suddenly - sometime around last spring - I got this urge to put down on paper (well...laptop screen) all the ideas I'd been keeping in my head. Random opinions of mine, fiction and just about anything else.

I'd really like to write a novel and actually have a very basic premise in mind. I know next to nothing about publishers and the like and I'm under no illusions when it comes to "success", but I'm not concerned about that anyway. First and foremost I'd be writing for myself. I think it would be an incredibly gratifying experience to look back on.

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: January 4, 2016, 10:06:51 pm »
Well, yes - but I should say that this is a second swipe at this idea. The reason why I am hung up on the synopsis (which is not really needed for Red Planet per se), is that I feel it needs to be fully developed. I am thinking of filming a 5-minute pitch in support of my application, so I feel that the Synopsis/Overview needs to be spot on before a story document.

I think I've mentioned it once or twice on this forum, but it is the story about a small Shropshire-based film production company in 1940s wartime Britain. It was an interesting time and an era that could provide story arcs from true events - by basing the concept on a studio (like Downton), you can pretty much introduce new characters with minimal fuss.

There is the political side to consider too - the propaganda machine was in full flow and a number of production companies switched to wartime dramas whilst America produced the action.

Ostensibly, the relationship between Hollywood and London at the time could also be explored.

Anyhow - period dramas with a good lynchpin is the way forward I think. If you look at what floats well at the moment, it is all, in some form or another - period dramas. It is as if the BFI have submitted to America and is now focussed on our ability to recount historical events in a really corny and on-the-nose manner. 

i agree, period pieces do seem to be hot at the moment, and even more so if it concerns something that has a direct contemporary parallel, so you might be onto a good thing there :)  i have a few sketches for a period piece, but it's unlikely to run beyond a mini-series so i doubt it'd garner much interest in contest like this.

for the synopsis, what aspect are you struggling with?  do you have a main story arc and fleshed-out characters?
Dudek saaaaves for Liverpoool!  Liverpool have won the Champions' League!  Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart!

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #7 on: January 4, 2016, 10:11:38 pm »
I've often toyed with the idea of making a thread like this. I read a lot, but have only recently gotten into writing for enjoyment. Years of essays on subjects I'm disinterested in wore me out I suppose. Then suddenly - sometime around last spring - I got this urge to put down on paper (well...laptop screen) all the ideas I'd been keeping in my head. Random opinions of mine, fiction and just about anything else.

I'd really like to write a novel and actually have a very basic premise in mind. I know next to nothing about publishers and the like and I'm under no illusions when it comes to "success", but I'm not concerned about that anyway. First and foremost I'd be writing for myself. I think it would be an incredibly gratifying experience to look back on.

You can use Amazon to flog your wares.

i agree, period pieces do seem to be hot at the moment, and even more so if it concerns something that has a direct contemporary parallel, so you might be onto a good thing there :)  i have a few sketches for a period piece, but it's unlikely to run beyond a mini-series so i doubt it'd garner much interest in contest like this.

for the synopsis, what aspect are you struggling with?  do you have a main story arc and fleshed-out characters?

Well, I think the story arcs come from the characters (or vice versa) - which in turn, can come from the story... But with it being period, it will rely heavily on its factuality. A tutor said once, not to get too factual because it can stifle the story...

So if there was a time to make a literal decision, it would be now.

It is a fictional company, of course, but I feel that it needs another element - I can't put my finger on it. It needs another layer to it. Another hook.
Continually on 11,420.

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm in love with here and I feel fine
« Reply #8 on: January 4, 2016, 10:14:15 pm »

Absolutely. And you could self-publish as well. Just a few copies for you, your mates, and some to spare.

The idea of having something physical that you made yourself is a great motivator. Something that will survive you.
What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #9 on: January 4, 2016, 10:14:33 pm »
In fact - in reality I just have a good concept. With regards to story, I am going to need to interweave different elemental factors into the story. Finding out a good start is always the hard thing about period dramas.

But then, do you worry about that, or do you write the introductory scene fo literally spark the interest in the concept.

I feel the latter - I feel that the production company needs to be seen for all its machinations, as if it is a unit.
Continually on 11,420.

Online S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #10 on: January 4, 2016, 10:18:37 pm »
You can use Amazon to flog your wares.
You can? Mind telling me how that works?

Absolutely. And you could self-publish as well. Just a few copies for you, your mates, and some to spare.

The idea of having something physical that you made yourself is a great motivator. Something that will survive you.
Agree completely. I've never written professionally before so this may some incredibly naive, but I imagine this is often how people get their best writing done. When they do it for themselves.

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: January 4, 2016, 10:31:51 pm »
Well, I think the story arcs come from the characters (or vice versa) - which in turn, can come from the story... But with it being period, it will rely heavily on its factuality. A tutor said once, not to get too factual because it can stifle the story...

So if there was a time to make a literal decision, it would be now.

It is a fictional company, of course, but I feel that it needs another element - I can't put my finger on it. It needs another layer to it. Another hook.

well, there are six-and-a-bit decades of subsequent history to use for dramatic irony/unexpected prescience purposes if that's the sort of thing you like.  other than that, the typical trick these days is to have a character who is effectively a modern person fighting against the conventions of the age.

i agree that you only need to be factual enough for the casual viewer though.

it is ridiculously easy to get your book on sale at amazon (and itunes etc) as an e-book, and only a little more work to get a properly bound paperback.  all you need is a word document of your story and then a bit of time to format it correctly.

the difficult part is getting people to actually buy it :)

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #12 on: January 4, 2016, 10:43:03 pm »
Agree completely. I've never written professionally before so this may some incredibly naive, but I imagine this is often how people get their best writing done. When they do it for themselves.

I don't know the process mate, but I do know that a lot of students now self publish. You can literally flog anything on Amazon if you can get a seller account. I think that, that would be the first step - either that or join a co-op; if you could find ten like minded individuals from here, you could set up a co-op and outlay the exposure. Instead of promoting yourself you are all promoting a company of people - for example, you could draft up a constitution to say that you expect to write four sci-fi annuals per year - get ten other writers to write 10 page shorts (as well as yourself), and publish it under an umbrella. If you approached Amazon with that, they would let you set-up a seller account. You would be surprised how much co-operation can be a very good place to start.

That is the key to it now - the big publishing houses pretty much own front seat at the publishing conventions and can promote writers to the front of the queue.

It is of no coincidence that most of the break-out successes of late, have been pretty much self-published... Whether they are tripe or not, the internet offers all ranges of possibilities for self-publishers. If you made a co-op, you could pretty much write into the constitution that you are all willing to invest £100 over a one-year period. What that could cover is things like Facebook/Google advertising.

Essentially it is an old model that worked in America in the 30s/40s - in fact, it could be argued that it is distinctly similar.

Just to summarise - unless you have one published novel, most publishing houses won't even read your synopsis. The way forward would be to spread the labour over a longer period with attainable targets with like-minded individuals. Then, you can tout yourself with a common agreement to in turn, tout your co-op.

This can be a very powerful mechanism if managed correctly - it is little outlay, for what could be, big rewards if you can get a readership. With Google Play added into the mix, the opportunities to self-publish are too sane to ignore. It takes a little time and patience to set-up, but with a clear strategy and good division of labour, you can pretty much do what most publishing houses would be doing anyway.

If there are enough people in the forum a co-op could easily be managed and promoted with the help of anyone interested.
Continually on 11,420.

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #13 on: January 4, 2016, 10:49:08 pm »
well, there are six-and-a-bit decades of subsequent history to use for dramatic irony/unexpected prescience purposes if that's the sort of thing you like.  other than that, the typical trick these days is to have a character who is effectively a modern person fighting against the conventions of the age.

i agree that you only need to be factual enough for the casual viewer though.

it is ridiculously easy to get your book on sale at amazon (and itunes etc) as an e-book, and only a little more work to get a properly bound paperback.  all you need is a word document of your story and then a bit of time to format it correctly.

the difficult part is getting people to actually buy it :)

Again, those problems/functions can be spread over a co-op to heighten the exposure - essentially, if you can come up with a good, niche matter - with good stories and a good cover, you can draft up an objective-based process where all concerned are working to a common goal.

Similar co-ops happen within theatre - Community Theatre outlay the labour across an ensemble of people. Usually there will be a showing of sorts at an event, all interwoven into one concept.
Continually on 11,420.

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: January 5, 2016, 12:02:22 am »
Again, those problems/functions can be spread over a co-op to heighten the exposure - essentially, if you can come up with a good, niche matter - with good stories and a good cover, you can draft up an objective-based process where all concerned are working to a common goal.

Similar co-ops happen within theatre - Community Theatre outlay the labour across an ensemble of people. Usually there will be a showing of sorts at an event, all interwoven into one concept.

most of the big break-out authors on amazon have come from kindle publishing, especially if you write genre fiction that appeals to blogs.  the good thing about it is minimal expenditure of money, but a lot of time promoting.  getting onto kindle is very easy (and there is no quality control or criteria at all other than very very limited obscenity rules at the age and consent level, although itunes is a tiny bit more restrictive), and the same thing applies to print-on-demand books.  so it is entirely feasible to write a book, buy a print copy for yourself/your family as your main objective, and still have it on sale forever more earning you a few quid a month.

the problem is that because anybody can publish, lots of people do, and it is virtually impossible to make any money out of it without a huge slice of luck.

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #15 on: January 5, 2016, 12:06:13 am »

most of the big break-out authors on amazon have come from kindle publishing, especially if you write genre fiction that appeals to blogs.  the good thing about it is minimal expenditure of money, but a lot of time promoting.  getting onto kindle is very easy (and there is no quality control or criteria at all other than very very limited obscenity rules at the age and consent level, although itunes is a tiny bit more restrictive), and the same thing applies to print-on-demand books.  so it is entirely feasible to write a book, buy a print copy for yourself/your family as your main objective, and still have it on sale forever more earning you a few quid a month.

the problem is that because anybody can publish, lots of people do, and it is virtually impossible to make any money out of it without a huge slice of luck.

Well that is where a co-op benefits - the labour can be spread in order to produce content at a regular occurrence. (Which is key)
Continually on 11,420.

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: January 5, 2016, 12:12:01 am »
Well that is where a co-op benefits - the labour can be spread in order to produce content at a regular occurrence. (Which is key)

possibly - but the problem of visibility is still there even with a co-op.  there was a time when new titles automatically got a boost in sales, but even that doesn't seem to apply any more.

also, the legal complexities if one author does better than the others as a result of co-op work are pretty daunting.

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #17 on: January 5, 2016, 12:15:55 am »
possibly - but the problem of visibility is still there even with a co-op.  there was a time when new titles automatically got a boost in sales, but even that doesn't seem to apply any more.

also, the legal complexities if one author does better than the others as a result of co-op work are pretty daunting.

But then the chances of that are negligible depending on the constitution. It is fairly simple really - it all comes down to sales of the co-op material. A constitution in place will mostly be held up in the event of any such thing happening.

With regards to visibility - that is where the SEO/hardwork comes in.
Continually on 11,420.

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: January 5, 2016, 12:28:42 am »
But then the chances of that are negligible depending on the constitution. It is fairly simple really - it all comes down to sales of the co-op material. A constitution in place will mostly be held up in the event of any such thing happening.

With regards to visibility - that is where the SEO/hardwork comes in.

yeah, i can definitely see the advantage of multiple people putting the effort in with marketing.  ultimately though, self-publishing is a complete crapshoot - if you happen to be seen by the right person at the right time, suddenly you're a huge success.  otherwise you're dedicating hours to eventually selling seven copies a year :)

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #19 on: January 5, 2016, 12:39:52 am »
yeah, i can definitely see the advantage of multiple people putting the effort in with marketing.  ultimately though, self-publishing is a complete crapshoot - if you happen to be seen by the right person at the right time, suddenly you're a huge success.  otherwise you're dedicating hours to eventually selling seven copies a year :)

Risk/Reward innit?
Continually on 11,420.

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: January 5, 2016, 01:21:12 am »
Risk/Reward innit?

that's a pretty one-sided consideration when it comes to self-publishing though, as the chances of reward are so miniscule.  and i do know people who have poured thousands of hours and pounds/dollars into pushing their work, and only seen a handful of sales as a result.  on the other side, i know people who have never spent a penny or done anything more than tweet occasionally or post on their own facebook site, and they have sold tens of thousands.

as crapshoots go, it's pretty crap :)

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #21 on: January 5, 2016, 02:49:55 am »
that's a pretty one-sided consideration when it comes to self-publishing though, as the chances of reward are so miniscule.  and i do know people who have poured thousands of hours and pounds/dollars into pushing their work, and only seen a handful of sales as a result.  on the other side, i know people who have never spent a penny or done anything more than tweet occasionally or post on their own facebook site, and they have sold tens of thousands.

as crapshoots go, it's pretty crap :)

This is of course, the risk. On the whole, there are many different methods to self-publish. This is one method that predominantly suits theatrical application and/or through app development.

How many followers does he/she have?

Continually on 11,420.

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #22 on: January 5, 2016, 04:39:11 am »
Kidder, your story idea sounds really good and interesting - like any writing project, it will come down to the characters :thumbup

I started writing a long post about my travails, having written a novel in 1996 that is still fucking sitting here, but then I thought:

"You know what? Fucking get something done, then you can talk about your writing."

So that's me sorted. See you lads when I get something done  :wave
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #23 on: January 5, 2016, 04:42:54 am »
Kidder, your story idea sounds really good and interesting - like any writing project, it will come down to the characters :thumbup

I started writing a long post about my travails, having written a novel in 1996 that is still fucking sitting here, but then I thought:

"You know what? Fucking get something done, then you can talk about your writing."

So that's me sorted. See you lads when I get something done  :wave

Nice one man - really need to get into gear and sort it out.

Same.
Continually on 11,420.

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: January 5, 2016, 02:18:59 pm »
well, we've all certainly increased our output in this thread :)

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #25 on: January 5, 2016, 07:34:00 pm »
well, we've all certainly increased our output in this thread :)

That we have - what is your friends model? How is he doing?
Continually on 11,420.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: January 5, 2016, 07:58:42 pm »
An open call with a binge of my favourite TV show usually does the trick.

I remember a guy up in Glasgow (I attended a lot of shit conferences up there), cast Writer's Block as the subconscious minds way of telling you that you haven't prepared enough.

I think Writer's Block is a subjective thing that can be made up of a number of elements. I find that it isn't just one thing and can be tackled in various ways. I had a bad time on a script I was working on for a module on my MA - I somewhat got over it by changing my laptop. You can break WB down to a number of different root causes and if you can identify the possible root causes, you can then tinker with your workflow to see if you can self-asses/moderate.

I've seen some fucked up processes and nearly all of the writers attached experienced WB at some point. There was even a girl on the BA Creative Writing course who used to call it 'stalemate'. She argued that writing a good story is like playing a game of chess - you are essentially competing against the reader.

My problem is quite the opposite - I OVER prepare.  I try to get it all perfect in my head so that writing it down is, effectively the final draft.  It's a ridiculous and unrealistic way to write that I fear is a result of my OCD.

I can write very well, but about this particular story I keep stumbling.  And I ended up trying to plan it so much through backstory etc that I kept running into brick walls when it came to the actual story.  Kept looking at it from a reader's point of view and trying to micro manage it chapter by chapter instead of just letting the words flow to a completed draft before reviewing and tweaking.

I need to learn to write the way I doodle! 
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Online S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #27 on: January 5, 2016, 10:05:56 pm »
So what kind of writing is everyone into? What do you guys normally write?

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #28 on: January 5, 2016, 10:22:22 pm »
My problem is quite the opposite - I OVER prepare.  I try to get it all perfect in my head so that writing it down is, effectively the final draft.  It's a ridiculous and unrealistic way to write that I fear is a result of my OCD.

I can write very well, but about this particular story I keep stumbling.  And I ended up trying to plan it so much through backstory etc that I kept running into brick walls when it came to the actual story.  Kept looking at it from a reader's point of view and trying to micro manage it chapter by chapter instead of just letting the words flow to a completed draft before reviewing and tweaking.

I need to learn to write the way I doodle!

Look up what Scorsese says about Plot/Story - I can't speak with any kind of merit, but on the whole, I usually found that, depending on story/genre and/or characters, there are times where you can plot too much?

For example - I feel a good way of seeing how plot can overpower story is a good David Mamet script. He seems to have a very good system of plot/story... It is plain to see in Glengary, but then if you look at Heist (which Mamet himself Directed), the story is choked by the plot (even the characters and action, and in turn, dialogue is choked).

Sometimes I find that it is easier to write then shape, than plan then craft.

So what kind of writing is everyone into? What do you guys normally write?

I try my hand at anything if I am honest dude. Cheap answer, I know...
Continually on 11,420.

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: January 6, 2016, 01:03:12 am »
That we have - what is your friends model? How is he doing?

well, in both cases of the people i mentioned, they're actually friends of one of my collaborators, who is far better at the whole social networking lark than me (i don't even have a facebook account :)).  one of these people spent a lot on promotion etc, running into around a thousand pounds, and watched in horror as it had zero effect on sales.  another (i can't remember her name right now, but she's from london and self-published a pretty run-of-the-mill haunted house story) did nothing beyond posting regularly on facebook and she just snowballed, getting preorders and thousands of pounds worth of sales. all very random, seemingly.

(our own collaboration, sadly, is pretty much non-existent these days. writing, editing, creating a cover etc is so much work for so little reward that we've both moved onto other projects.  we didn't dump much money in (i think the total was less than £50 over a few years and three books), so it was easy to walk away.)

and yeah, you're right that there are a lot of different types of self-publishing, but the only one i've ever had any experience of is the kindle one, and there, being noticed is the biggest problem.  it sometimes seemed like it was impossible to get any movement - at one point, our first book made it onto a hand-picked-by-apple-ibooks curated list of hot new books to check out, and even that had no effect.

these days my vague idea is to write for TV, so i'm currently collaborating with someone else on a couple of web series.  it will truly be a miracle if either ever gets made, seeing as he is literally on the other side of the world from me :)

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #30 on: January 6, 2016, 03:37:22 am »
It is a needle-in-a-haystack business - It is hard to pin down a strategy that works for you. I'm interested in the kindle thing however - I think the time may have passed, but nonetheless, I may give it a looksee.

Anyhow, this is mostly for UK-based writers, not sure if it is international, but well worth a shot.

http://www.windsorfringe.co.uk/drama-awards-2016-apply-now/

Relatively low entry fee (£5) - winner gets £500.
Continually on 11,420.

Offline MOZ

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: January 6, 2016, 09:24:28 am »

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
Continually on 11,420.

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #33 on: January 8, 2016, 11:29:00 am »
So, I was speaking to Leo (Fat Scouser) today and I was reminded of something that I was going to propose not so long ago. Essentially, I know that there are a good number of writers on these boards, or even some who may fancy a crack.

I will keep it short - but how many writers (at any level of experience) are there on this board?

I know of a few, but essentially - I have a venue near the summer and I am thinking of organising a carousel performance. Essentially, 10 x 10 minute plays - with football orientated plays being quite popular in our city, I was thinking of basing it around Liverpool FC. It has been done before, but I haven't seen it and think it could be a great little event.

Personally - I do have a quasi-factual story to tell and it is something that I really would need to test out before putting any more effort into it. It is in scratch form and think it could work within a carousel performance.

So i'm wondering if there would be any folk from here who would be interested?
Continually on 11,420.

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: January 8, 2016, 11:59:51 am »
I've always wanted to write in some form; I took journalism at Uni but decided it wasn't for me a year and a half in (15k in debt for nothing, happy days). Since then I've come up with a couple of little ideas that i've tried to expand on but didn't get very far with. I've always written better when given a blank document where I can just write whatever comes to mind, which is fine for blogs/articles but clearly if you want to write a whole novel you need to get some planning done!

I did plan a novel a few months ago, I had a little wallchart up in the flat and everything to highlight the key plot points and where in the story they would happen, I got as far as planning each chapter and then when I finally got to writing the bastard I just couldn't get past a mental block and never took it any further. So stupid, but I've told myself I will come back to it one day.

I've now started trying to write a script, a sitcom type thing. I feel daft just writing that on here and feel even dafter saying it out loud, I often wonder if this is my main problem. I get so far into something, think I've got the best idea ever, and then slowly but surely my mind convinces me to quit because it's stupid and i'll never get anywhere with it. Only my girlfriend and now you lovely people even know I still write a lot.

My attitude needs to change, I'm making it a chore for myself rather than enjoying it as much as I should!
« Last Edit: January 8, 2016, 12:04:18 pm by alonsoisared »

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: January 8, 2016, 12:02:21 pm »
I also look at my post count and think, 4510 posts, what if I would have put them towards something more productive?  :D

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #36 on: January 8, 2016, 12:11:42 pm »
I've always wanted to write in some form; I took journalism at Uni but decided it wasn't for me a year and a half in (15k in debt for nothing, happy days). Since then I've come up with a couple of little ideas that i've tried to expand on but didn't get very far with. I've always written better when given a blank document where I can just write whatever comes to mind, which is fine for blogs/articles but clearly if you want to write a whole novel you need to get some planning done!

I did plan a novel a few months ago, I had a little wallchart up in the flat and everything to highlight the key plot points and where in the story they would happen, I got as far as planning each chapter and then when I finally got to writing the bastard I just couldn't get past a mental block and never took it any further. So stupid, but I've told myself I will come back to it one day.

I've now started trying to write a script, a sitcom type thing. I feel daft just writing that on here and feel even dafter saying it out loud, I often wonder if this is my main problem. I get so far into something, think I've got the best idea ever, and then slowly but surely my mind convinces me to quit because it's stupid and i'll never get anywhere with it. Only my girlfriend and now you lovely people even know I still write a lot.

My attitude needs to change, I'm making it a chore for myself rather than enjoying it as much as I should!

I think that is an operative statement in what you explain as being your problem. I'm by no means the kind of person to be in any authority, but it sounds to me that you haven't got anyone to validate/invalidate your work. As much as shyness can be a problem with writers, it is something that you can get over pretty easily. I'm not sure if shyness is your problem, but if you look at it from the outside in, it sounds as if you are talking about motivation.

I'll bet when your girlfriend tries to motivate your writing, it does the opposite, no?

An important part of the writing process (I feel), is sharing what you are doing. You have to balance it however, as too early, you can zap the motivation right out of you - too late, and you might not even get there in the first place. (In a Back to the Future kind of way).

I think the most important thing about writing is getting out of your comfort zone - I was lucky in the sense that I had a fantastic English Teacher who egged me on a lot. If I was in your position, I would get sharing my material as soon as possible - even if it is anonymous on Reddit, you will still get much needed feedback on your work.

You have to learn to take things with a pinch of salt if you go down that route, but by enlarge - all feedback is good feedback.

There is a danger sometimes of thinking that because you didn't study it, you can't do it, or shouldn't do it...

That is a shit place to be.
Continually on 11,420.

Offline MOZ

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: January 8, 2016, 12:17:46 pm »

I feel daft just writing that on here and feel even dafter saying it out loud, I often wonder if this is my main problem. I get so far into something, think I've got the best idea ever, and then slowly but surely my mind convinces me to quit because it's stupid and i'll never get anywhere with it. Only my girlfriend and now you lovely people even know I still write a lot.

I think a lot of writers have these traits - procrastination, self-doubt, indecision, uncertainty, lack of motivation etc. Getting over yourself is all part of the process.

It took me years to start a novel but I finally did it a few months ago. My biggest problem now is finding the time to see it through.

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #38 on: January 8, 2016, 12:32:52 pm »
A novel is a mortgage someone far wiser than me once said.

I don't think I'd have a novel in me to be honest.
Continually on 11,420.

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: January 8, 2016, 01:05:11 pm »
I think that is an operative statement in what you explain as being your problem. I'm by no means the kind of person to be in any authority, but it sounds to me that you haven't got anyone to validate/invalidate your work. As much as shyness can be a problem with writers, it is something that you can get over pretty easily. I'm not sure if shyness is your problem, but if you look at it from the outside in, it sounds as if you are talking about motivation.

I'll bet when your girlfriend tries to motivate your writing, it does the opposite, no?

An important part of the writing process (I feel), is sharing what you are doing. You have to balance it however, as too early, you can zap the motivation right out of you - too late, and you might not even get there in the first place. (In a Back to the Future kind of way).

I think the most important thing about writing is getting out of your comfort zone - I was lucky in the sense that I had a fantastic English Teacher who egged me on a lot. If I was in your position, I would get sharing my material as soon as possible - even if it is anonymous on Reddit, you will still get much needed feedback on your work.

You have to learn to take things with a pinch of salt if you go down that route, but by enlarge - all feedback is good feedback.

There is a danger sometimes of thinking that because you didn't study it, you can't do it, or shouldn't do it...

That is a shit place to be.
Thanks for the advice Kidder (and MOZ) definitely motivation is a big part in it as well. I'm a very laid back, relaxed person but that can and often does turn into laziness! When I was in school (and now I'm at work) I've always tended to do best when I've got someone right on my case or a strict deadline to hit. I tell my girlfriend to have a go at me if I've not done a certain amount of writing in a week but, you're right, it doesn't always have a positive effect. I think she's just given up on that now ;D

A good kick up the arse is what I need, in the meantime I will keep plugging away and try to stay positive. I'll take your advice and try getting feedback on stuff as well. I was writing a blog which I used to post on Facebook, I'm not the type to use Facebook much but it was still a great feeling seeing "likes" come in and people leaving positive comments on it. It was also very motivating...I think you're on to something :) I'll have a look at posting some stuff on reddit in future.
« Last Edit: January 8, 2016, 01:38:23 pm by alonsoisared »