Author Topic: NBA Discussion  (Read 603940 times)

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
Re: NBA Season 2016-17 Discussion
« Reply #2560 on: April 26, 2017, 04:24:10 am »
If I was him I'd have ran straight to the owners and demanded Billy Donovan be fired, that's got to be the worst coached playoff series of all time!
Exactly what i've said to friends. 5 years 30M for jus saying "Ok Russell you go out there and run the plays yo'd like and let's see how that works out". During the series i stopped counting how many times Rockets had 10-0 or more runs in a few minutes in critical times yet Donovan never took the time out after a 4-0, had to wait his team is down 5-7 before taking a TO. Roberson is clearly shot in confidence when it comes to FT's, he kept missing during the hacking, Donovan insisted playing him in those minutes. Even players who were doing ok like Kanter got worse. Also what's his love with Oladipo, he treats as if he is a star guard or something.

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2561 on: April 26, 2017, 04:31:08 am »
Also I am not really bothered with Westbrook walking off without shaking hands. To me that's not a sign or measure of sportmanship. He is pissed, he just lost series, he played his heart out and came short. It's no secret Westbrook is very emotional and extremely passionate. I wouldn't hold this against him. That being said people spinning this as "Westbrook being old school" will be quite annoying.

Offline Craigeth

• Legacy Fan
  • Ninety six Friends, we all shall miss YNWA
« Reply #2562 on: April 26, 2017, 04:31:10 am »
Exactly what i've said to friends. 5 years 30M for jus saying "Ok Russell you go out there and run the plays yo'd like and let's see how that works out". During the series i stopped counting how many times Rockets had 10-0 or more runs in a few minutes in critical times yet Donovan never took the time out after a 4-0, had to wait his team is down 5-7 before taking a TO. Roberson is clearly shot in confidence when it comes to FT's, he kept missing during the hacking, Donovan insisted playing him in those minutes. Even players who were doing ok like Kanter got worse. Also what's his love with Oladipo, he treats as if he is a star guard or something.
Seriously embarrassing stuff, he had no clue how to lineup without Russ, like you say his inability to call timeouts or make adjustments, felt so bad for Russ and agree about Oladipo just don't get it!

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2563 on: April 26, 2017, 07:03:03 am »
He is probably finally convinced himself that his supporting cast is pure garbage and he got depressed. Oladipo 4-17, Roberson 1-7. I actually felt sorry for Russ first time after watching this. OKC leads by 7 right through end of 3rd and Russ sits, here comes 10-0 Rockets run in 3 minutes. Happened pretty much all the time during the series.
the difference in plus minus is something like 25 when he's on court to off court

Wonder if they have the cap space to go for Blake griffin? Can't imagine melo going there so griffin is realistic

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2564 on: April 26, 2017, 07:44:36 am »
the difference in plus minus is something like 25 when he's on court to off court

Wonder if they have the cap space to go for Blake griffin? Can't imagine melo going there so griffin is realistic

Doc will probably trade him in 3 team trade and get Vujacic and Calderon.
"Look with Paul Pierce retiring and Crawford aging, we had to build something new here"

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2565 on: April 26, 2017, 07:50:59 am »
Doc will probably trade him in 3 team trade and get Vujacic and Calderon.
"Look with Paul Pierce retiring and Crawford aging, we had to build something new here"
gets some good deals done on the golf course does doc

Offline Garrus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2566 on: April 26, 2017, 10:47:07 am »

-58 in this series. Got to feel sorry for him.

Another insane stat:

Westbrook's 42 triple doubles this season is more than 11 NBA teams have managed in their franchise history.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 10:49:50 am by Garrus »

Offline Greatness

• Spineless and gutless
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2567 on: April 26, 2017, 11:04:38 am »
Chris Paul should leave Clippers in free agency, he'll never win a championship with them and how many years does he have left before he starts to hit his decline

Offline Gods_Left_Boot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2568 on: April 26, 2017, 11:41:10 am »
Well done to the jazz, massive win last night.
September 12, 2012:Truth today, justice tomorrow.

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world.

Offline Working Class Hen-Pecked Hero

• Is something to be...Lives at 999 Letsby Avenue.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2569 on: April 26, 2017, 01:27:35 pm »
-58 in this series. Got to feel sorry for him.

Another insane stat:

Westbrook's 42 triple doubles this season is more than 11 NBA teams have managed in their franchise history.

I'd of walked off as well if I was him. -58 when he's off court is fucking awful especially when it's only 5 games in
I'm telling you, Bowie died and it's all gone to fuck.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2570 on: April 26, 2017, 01:30:51 pm »
Watching the way Jazz rotate in defense and how their help defense comes in is just a thing of beauty.
Snyder is quite underrated, i didn't even know if they would he a play off team yet they are 5th seed and most likely will be in the 2nd round. Even Joe Johnson looks rejuvenated. Him and Gordon was so clutch that despite ridiculous home cooking by the refs, they got the W. They also came this far without Gobert in 3 games and Hayward missing one. Quinn has been schooling Doc for the whole series.

Also, Ingles has impressed me a lot. He can actually defend very well, despite probably being the least athletic guy in the NBA
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 01:32:22 pm by elsewhere »

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2571 on: April 26, 2017, 07:44:56 pm »
I'd of walked off as well if I was him. -58 when he's off court is fucking awful especially when it's only 5 games in
id have slapped my teammates with a slipper if I was him.

Meanwhile...

https://youtu.be/Ip5vxR6LZsk

:lmao

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2572 on: April 26, 2017, 10:50:10 pm »
id have slapped my teammates with a slipper if I was him.

Meanwhile...

https://youtu.be/Ip5vxR6LZsk

:lmao

Burst into tears in "i don't, i'm trying to make basketball point here" part ;D
Easily best sports show for me and long live Chuck ;D

Offline Gods_Left_Boot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2573 on: April 27, 2017, 01:42:58 am »
Washington won game 5 103-99 over Atlanta. Hawks with the worst late possession I've ever seen. Got the ball off a rebound down 4 with about 12/13 seconds  left (no timeouts), drove up the court in transition and instead of grabbing a quick easy basket and then foul, they had a couple of slash and kicks to men beyond the arc who kept passing on shots and ended up heaving a useless 3 as time expired. Baffling doesn't even begin to describe it.

Schroeder was great for them though. Never thought much of him, but he's been something in the last 3 games.

Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world.

Offline Daniel Cabbaggio

• Roughage
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move, keep it simple = 19 & 6
    • www.redandwhitekop.com
« Reply #2574 on: April 27, 2017, 01:55:29 am »
Come on Celtics
YNWA

Offline Garrus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2575 on: April 27, 2017, 06:06:44 am »
Fire the Bulls coaching staff and front office into the sun.

Offline Shaved Crossbar

• shits from the hip
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2576 on: April 27, 2017, 01:53:36 pm »
Washington won game 5 103-99 over Atlanta. Hawks with the worst late possession I've ever seen. Got the ball off a rebound down 4 with about 12/13 seconds  left (no timeouts), drove up the court in transition and instead of grabbing a quick easy basket and then foul, they had a couple of slash and kicks to men beyond the arc who kept passing on shots and ended up heaving a useless 3 as time expired. Baffling doesn't even begin to describe it.

I'm pretty sure one of them just straight out ignored an open lay-up. The last 43 seconds was all I caught of this game.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2577 on: April 27, 2017, 04:08:59 pm »
News Update..

Doc Rivers Unlikely To Leave Clippers Regardless Of Playoff Result

Lonzo Ball Prefers Lakers But Prepared To Play For Anyone

Russell Westbrook Has Never Complained About Teammates To Front Office

Thunder Intend To Keep Andre Roberson

'Nobody Saw The Real John Wall' Due To Left Knee Issues

Warriors Expect Steve Kerr To Return To Bench

Stephen Curry's Current Under Armour Shoe Not Selling At Expectations

LeBron James' Body Feels Worse When He Doesn't Play

LeBron James Left McDonald's Endorsement Deal For Upside Of Blaze Ownership

Russell Westbrook Hasn't Thought About Extension But 'Loves' Being With Thunder

Thunder Were +5 In Series When Both Westbrook, Harden Were On Floor

NBA Announces 182 Early Entry Candidates For 2017 Draft

Hornets To Wear Jordan Brand Next Season

Blazers Won't Bring Back Festus Ezeli

Damian Lillard: Defeating Warriors Becoming An Obsession

Pat Riley Wishes He Would Have Given Dwyane Wade Max In 2014 Instead Of Chris Bosh

All-NBA Teams To Be Announced Prior To June 26th Award Show

Offline Gods_Left_Boot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2578 on: April 27, 2017, 04:50:10 pm »
News Update..

Surprising that Steph's dad sneakers are not selling in droves  ::) ;D

Also, I don't have much time for the NCAA as an institution and I don't mean to sound like a sports radio old fart, but 182 underclassmen to declare for the draft (and seniors on top of that) is nothing short of insane considering that there's only 60 spots + some in the DLeague. Even the best leagues overseas often don't pick up players fresh out of college, especially if they're too green, and prefer to go for players who have previous NBA or DLeague experience. The NBA has an advisory committee for underclassmen who want to declare, and they should flat out tell many of these kids that they're not going to get picked and to go back to school.

Offline trimore

• Legacy Fan
  • Dastardly and Muttley with sick laughter
« Reply #2579 on: April 28, 2017, 03:10:09 am »
A very satisfying series win for the Raps against a very good Bucks team. So inconsistent though, it's like we spend huge chunks of games forgetting about the need to passing.

Oh well, bring on the Cavs!
Go off to sleep in the sunshine, I don't want to see the day when it's dying

Offline GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2580 on: April 28, 2017, 03:45:41 am »
Surprising that Steph's dad sneakers are not selling in droves  ::) ;D

Also, I don't have much time for the NCAA as an institution and I don't mean to sound like a sports radio old fart, but 182 underclassmen to declare for the draft (and seniors on top of that) is nothing short of insane considering that there's only 60 spots + some in the DLeague. Even the best leagues overseas often don't pick up players fresh out of college, especially if they're too green, and prefer to go for players who have previous NBA or DLeague experience. The NBA has an advisory committee for underclassmen who want to declare, and they should flat out tell many of these kids that they're not going to get picked and to go back to school.

If you declare yourself eligible for the draft and don't get picked, can you not go back to college?

Offline nicholasanthony

• RAWK Australian cricket correspondent & 2014 AFL tipping champion of the World
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2581 on: April 28, 2017, 04:51:28 am »
Fizz's rant has definitely had the desired effect in every possible way.

Offline skipper757

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2582 on: April 28, 2017, 05:12:34 am »
If you declare yourself eligible for the draft and don't get picked, can you not go back to college?

If you declare early to enter the draft and hire an agent, you cannot go back.  If you declare and don't hire an agent, you can go through some of the process and receive feedback and if you withdraw by May 24, you can retain NCAA eligibility.  You can go through the combine process as well.  Hopefully, if you're not deemed ready by May 24, you haven't exhausted your eligibility by hiring an agent, and you can go back to school. 

If you stay in the draft for whatever reason (no more eligibility, confidence you'll get drafted) and you don't get picked, there's always undrafted free agency and overseas opportunities...
King Kenny.

Offline nicholasanthony

• RAWK Australian cricket correspondent & 2014 AFL tipping champion of the World
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2583 on: April 28, 2017, 05:13:47 am »
What on earth?!

Offline Greatness

• Spineless and gutless
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2584 on: April 28, 2017, 07:04:04 am »
Very good season for the Bucks and especially Giannis, they will get even better next season and they have a great young team at the moment
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 09:03:56 am by Greatness »

Offline Gods_Left_Boot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2585 on: April 28, 2017, 04:59:46 pm »
Good on Toronto to hold on to the win in the end, but they've looked really underwhelming throughout the series. Their offence has been shocking at times, not just during their bad patches last night or early in game 3. Blowing a 25 points lead before scraping out a win is unacceptable from any team with some sort of ambition, they simply stopped moving the ball and made a stupid decision after another. At the moment it looks really unlikely that they're going to bother the Cavs in any way, unless they massively improve.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2586 on: April 28, 2017, 05:06:16 pm »
A very satisfying series win for the Raps against a very good Bucks team. So inconsistent though, it's like we spend huge chunks of games forgetting about the need to passing.

Oh well, bring on the Cavs!

Congrats on the result but i don't think anyone who watched the games would call this a satisfying series.
Especially not after the game yesterday, despite the win. How can a team allow a 34-7 run in the play-off's is beyind me. They are up by 25 and few mins later down 2. That was pathetic imo.

Regardless, well done and Cavs-Raps will be tasty. I can see some tension and fights in that game.

Offline pyroparty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2587 on: April 28, 2017, 05:11:21 pm »
Hopefully they can come up with something different and at least bother the Cavs, a good series would be nice, last year they were an absolute embarrassment in Cleveland.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2588 on: April 28, 2017, 05:32:13 pm »
Very good season for the Bucks and especially Giannis, they will get even better next season and they have a great young team at the moment

One wonders how they could have been if Jabari Parker was healthy with them in the play-off's.
They have some decisions to make in the offseason. Tony Snell followed a solid season with an even better post season. He will probably get 4 years 48-60m this summer. Also Monroe is restricted this summer too.

Keep the young core and get help in the guard and wing role, they will be top 4 for a few years in the East.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2589 on: April 28, 2017, 05:35:03 pm »
Popovich: Kawhi Leonard is the best player in the NBA

Well, he is doing it on both sides of the court. Plus if a basketball Godfather like Pop says it, who are we to argue?

Offline Gods_Left_Boot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2590 on: April 28, 2017, 07:13:28 pm »

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2591 on: April 28, 2017, 11:56:10 pm »
Popovich: Kawhi Leonard is the best player in the NBA

Well, he is doing it on both sides of the court. Plus if a basketball Godfather like Pop says it, who are we to argue?

Chuck and Shaq have been raving about him being the 2nd best player in the league after LeBron for a while as well.

Glad we got it done in 6, there are not many defenses better than Memphis out there and it's a good warm up for us before Houston.

Aldridge and Gasol have been absolutely garbage  so far, very disappointing. Danny green has been a non factor as well. They need to step up to help Kawhi,Parker and Patty against Houston. Those 3 alone can't get it done.

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2592 on: April 29, 2017, 12:04:32 am »
The best player this season has been Russell Westbrook, taken the game to a new level, just does everything. Shame he has no teammates to help him so his season is over.
James Harden and Kawhi Leonard have been excellent too. Lebron, Kyrie Irving and stephen Curry always seem to step up in the big games.

Big games tonight, 3 game 6s, Chris Paul, another one who is up there among the best players, will have to do it on his own against the Jazz with Blade Griffin out injured. Clippers could be choking again.

Offline nicholasanthony

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2593 on: April 29, 2017, 03:49:38 am »
Anyone else following these ESPN sackings. Some big names especially NBA. Henry Abbott, Chad Ford, Marc Stein, David Thorpe, Ethan Strauss, and others. Didn't love all of them but it's big stuff.

Offline GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2594 on: April 29, 2017, 08:10:59 am »
Disappointing effort from the Jazz tonight... Jordan went 3-11 from the free throw line and had 7 turnovers, and they still couldn't get it done. Terrible shooting nights for Joe Johnson, Jingles and Hood, and Hill uncharacteristically bad from the stripe. Losing 2 of 3 at home makes it tough to win a series. Not sure it's going to happen... shame as I'm keen to see them against the Warriors even though it's a certain loss (best case scenario would be 4-2 series scoreline).

Offline Doc Red

• Chills before posting and wishes others had too
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The eye cannot see what the mind does not know.
« Reply #2595 on: April 29, 2017, 03:25:36 pm »
Disappointing effort from the Jazz tonight... Jordan went 3-11 from the free throw line and had 7 turnovers, and they still couldn't get it done. Terrible shooting nights for Joe Johnson, Jingles and Hood, and Hill uncharacteristically bad from the stripe. Losing 2 of 3 at home makes it tough to win a series. Not sure it's going to happen... shame as I'm keen to see them against the Warriors even though it's a certain loss (best case scenario would be 4-2 series scoreline).

They've still got a great chance of winning away. The Clippers are notorious choke artist and if the Jazz can keep executing and successfully manoeuvre the initial avalanche, they stand a great chance of advancing. I've got the Jazz as my pick. They'll at least win 1 game against the Warriors, the Clippers sadly have no chance even though I so hoped they'd be the dark horse of the West.
The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel its warmth.
There go my people. I must follow them, for I am their leader.

Offline Greatness

• Spineless and gutless
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2596 on: April 29, 2017, 05:14:14 pm »
They've still got a great chance of winning away. The Clippers are notorious choke artist and if the Jazz can keep executing and successfully manoeuvre the initial avalanche, they stand a great chance of advancing. I've got the Jazz as my pick. They'll at least win 1 game against the Warriors, the Clippers sadly have no chance even though I so hoped they'd be the dark horse of the West.
If Clippers lose game 7 it would so typical of the franchise and this current group of players who apart from Chris Paul have a losers mentality.

Offline trimore

• Legacy Fan
  • Dastardly and Muttley with sick laughter
« Reply #2597 on: April 30, 2017, 02:29:16 am »
Congrats on the result but i don't think anyone who watched the games would call this a satisfying series.
Especially not after the game yesterday, despite the win. How can a team allow a 34-7 run in the play-off's is beyind me. They are up by 25 and few mins later down 2. That was pathetic imo.

Regardless, well done and Cavs-Raps will be tasty. I can see some tension and fights in that game.

Because the Bucks are easily the best team we have defeated in the playoffs with the best player and we did it in 6! Both teams were streaky, The Bucks were desperate and the refs favoured the Bucks heavily down the stretch. That's just about worth a 34-7 run to me.
Go off to sleep in the sunshine, I don't want to see the day when it's dying

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2598 on: April 30, 2017, 07:59:11 pm »
Boston have been unreal in the 3rd quarter against the Wizards. Much more physical and as a result forcing turnovers and looking more solid defensively.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2599 on: April 30, 2017, 08:56:40 pm »
Jazz-Clippers game is on, expecting it to go down the wire just like most of the other games in the series.

Raptors@Cavs will be a promising one as well