Author Topic: Typhoid Trump: the not-smart, corrupt, coward, loser, thread  (Read 4566753 times)

Offline theMilkman

• but doesn't deliver.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Malevolent Orange Ball of Gas. Squirrel!
« Reply #24280 on: March 27, 2017, 10:28:32 pm »
Ignoring everything else about this.

Why on earth is the Attorney General making policy decisions?

So that when it goes tits up Donnie Smallhands has someone to blame
"But the most important thing that we all must remember is that this football club is much more important and bigger than anybody."~ King Kenny Dalglish

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #24281 on: March 27, 2017, 10:29:05 pm »
Markets down again for another day. Worst run of consecutive down days since 2011. 
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #24282 on: March 27, 2017, 10:31:00 pm »
Also this is potentially newsworthy re: the latest Nunes story. Earlier in March, the White House hired a former Nunes aide (and Navy intelligence officer) Michael Ellis as its National Security Council Legal Advisor. What a coincidence. ::)

Offline mallin9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24283 on: March 27, 2017, 10:36:45 pm »
Markets down again for another day. Worst run of consecutive down days since 2011.

Will be fascinating to see how this develops.  Not tying the Dow slumping directly together with travel to USA falling off a cliff, but average people who I interact with are slowly cottoning on to the fact that nobody bar no-fucking-body seems to want to visit Trumpmerica.  The tourism industry is headed for trying times ahead.  Are we headed for Trump fueled recession?
You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #24284 on: March 27, 2017, 10:47:09 pm »
Will be fascinating to see how this develops.  Not tying the Dow slumping directly together with travel to USA falling off a cliff, but average people who I interact with are slowly cottoning on to the fact that nobody bar no-fucking-body seems to want to visit Trumpmerica.  The tourism industry is headed for trying times ahead.  Are we headed for Trump fueled recession?

There is also the problem a lot of brick and mortar retail is closing down as per this excellent article in The Guardian. Maybe people are finally realizing that a roaring stock market does not equate to an economic boom time, particularly when interest rates are so low that people are investing in stocks, rather than bonds (Canada incidentally is now phasing out its Canada Savings Bonds as nobody is buying them anymore).

I think people have cottoned on that the increasing number of retiring Baby Boomers aren't going to be spending a lot, while American Millennials can't afford to being buy a whole lot due to being burned with increasing levels of debt from education, mortgages and health care costs. I think what has been noticeable in North America over the past few years is that the "middle class retail" like Sears, JC Penneys and Macys are being slowly driven out as people end up shopping online, or only visiting low-end brick and mortar stores (Wal-Mart or Target) or the higher-end ones.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24285 on: March 27, 2017, 10:58:19 pm »
there was something from kayak a while ago saying searches from the uk to places like la/Florida/Vegas are 30-40% down. Massively up from Russia tho.

Offline theMilkman

• but doesn't deliver.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24286 on: March 27, 2017, 11:01:53 pm »

YES.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-03-27/u-s-travel-industry-fears-a-lost-decade-under-trump

Although the current drop in the market indices doesn't look like the start of a prolonged slump (yet) since there's only been a 2.6% drop in the dow and a smaller one in the S&P and Obama left him with a healthy enough economy that talk of a recession is still a long way away, there is absolutely no way the US economy can sustain a sustained drop off in tourism like this (Tourism is a $250billion industry in the US), and  there's every chance this recession stays in the US. And that's before numbers start coming out for international student enrollments in the US (~$30billion industry, and where a lot of the country's top tech talent comes from).

Only pity is it's the liberal states which get most of the tourists like NY, CA and HI which will feel the brunt of it.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 11:09:17 pm by theMilkman »
"But the most important thing that we all must remember is that this football club is much more important and bigger than anybody."~ King Kenny Dalglish

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24287 on: March 27, 2017, 11:35:07 pm »
Only pity is it's the liberal states which get most of the tourists like NY, CA and HI which will feel the brunt of it.
and his voters won't give a fuck, I mean who the fuck wants to use their holiday time to visit the Dakotas or Kentucky???

Offline cptrios

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24288 on: March 28, 2017, 12:09:56 am »
I teach at an ESL school in the US, and I can say without a doubt that my own industry is going to suffer because of Trump. Our Saudi students will probably keep flowing in, but those from other Muslim countries and Europe? I already hear people saying their friends have decided to go to Australia, NZ, and Ireland. I'm going to be verrry interested to see how Trump will affect potential Chinese students. You might start to see massive cuts at universities around the country if those admissions dry up.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #24289 on: March 28, 2017, 12:18:48 am »
and his voters won't give a fuck, I mean who the fuck wants to use their holiday time to visit the Dakotas or Kentucky???

Of course, if red states actually attracted more tourists, they probably wouldn't be nearly as red.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24290 on: March 28, 2017, 12:20:50 am »
The States wont see a long term massive decline in tourism. No way are people going to stop visiting NYC, places in California or Disney World.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #24291 on: March 28, 2017, 12:38:44 am »
The States wont see a long term massive decline in tourism. No way are people going to stop visiting NYC, places in California or Disney World.

Why - I love NY and have friends there but no way i would go while Trump is president.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
« Reply #24292 on: March 28, 2017, 12:46:58 am »
In New York, searching for the reclusive and elusive Melania Trump

The Washington Post
Paul Schwartzman
4 hrs ago

The paparazzi no longer stake her out at her son’s private school or search for her on the streets surrounding the black tower that her husband, the president of the United States, named for himself.

Like legions of New Yorkers who hibernate in their apartments, Melania Trump is a virtual shut-in, her refuge 58 stories above Manhattan’s hoi polloi and laden with enough gold to embarrass a Saudi prince.

“She’s the great white whale,” said Miles Diggs, a paparazzo, as he and his partner hunted celebrities in Soho on a recent afternoon in a Chevy Suburban equipped with cameras and a laptop. They were searching for the actress Emma Watson, who, unlike Melania Trump, they were confident they could find.

“When it comes to getting people, I don’t miss,” Diggs said. “But Melania has just been so elusive.”

Two months after her husband’s swearing-in, the nation’s new first lady approaches her role with a discernible reticence, her paucity of public appearances — each defined by tight smiles and spare verbiage — overshadowed by a vanishing act that stretches days on end.

Yet by retreating to her midtown triplex, where she is said to tend to Barron, the Trumps’ 11-year-old son, the first lady guarantees herself even more attention. An ever-clamorous chorus of gossipmongers, pundits, historians and even body-language experts dissect her every move, fashion choice, and facial expression to unearth a true State of Melania.

Good luck with that.

Melania Trump is a Rorschach test in Louboutins, inspiring praise from those who see in her inscrutable gaze an elegant, dutiful mother charting a new role for the first lady; compassion from those imagining her as the president’s unhappy captive, her penthouse-turned-prison costing taxpayers ungodly sums to secure; and contempt from those rendering her as her husband’s chief enabler, abiding his sexist and anti-immigrant bluster, and echoing at one time his baseless questioning of President Barack Obama’s citizenship.

“Melania Trump is as ugly on the inside as she is pretty on the outside” was how Dan Savage, the sex columnist and gay activist, put it in a recent podcast. He flayed “folks on the left” who “view her as some sort of sympathetic figure — the pretty princess in the tower locked up by the orange ogre with the bad comb-over.”

The hashtag #FreeMelania is now a pillar of Twitter-speak, while questions about the Trumps’ marriage inspire headlines such as “Melania’s Struggle,” an Us Weekly yarn that claimed the 46-year-old first lady is “secretly miserable.” The article included an interview with a “family friend” who later acknowledged that his insights may be compromised by not having spoken to her in several years.

Her handful of appearances have yielded few clues, her smile fixed whether attending her husband’s address to Congress, greeting the Netanyahus at the White House, or popping up at a Republican fundraiser at Mar-a-Lago over the weekend while the president remained in Washington.

Only her couture appears to change — a black Ralph Lauren dress one day, a red Givenchy on another.

The U.S. First Lady Melania Trump is known for her fondness for solid hues. We take a look at some of her outfits in the colors of the star-spangled banner.

Circumspect and reserved

Among the rare moments the first lady has spoken publicly was while reading Dr. Seuss’s “Oh, the Places You’ll Go!” this month to children at a Manhattan hospital, her Slovenian accent as obvious as her large diamond ring and sky-high stilettos.

“You’ll be as famous as famous can be, with the whole world watching you win on TV,” she recited from the book.

She smiled and seemed receptive when Tara McKelvey, a BBC reporter, approached with a question. “But the aides came in and swooped her away and had her pose for a picture,” McKelvey said. “She wanted to answer. She was trying to answer.”

A few days later, Melania hosted a White House luncheon to celebrate International Women’s Day, at the start of which guests stood and applauded after someone with an appropriately hushed voice announced, “Ladies and gentlemen, the first lady of the United States.”

Melania Trump entered the room, strode to the rostrum, smiled and said, “Your excellencies, esteemed represent — ”

Whatever she said next was unknown beyond the dining room because White House aides ordered the media pool to exit.

Karen LeFrak, a friend who attended the White House event, wrote in an email that Melania Trump “didn’t do the lunch for publicity” and she “does not seek attention.” Describing her friend’s adjustment, LeFrak said she is “carving out an important role to support women and children” and “redecorating their residence in the White House,” where she will move after Barron completes the school year.

“Mrs. Trump is enjoying her life and new role,” wrote LeFrak, the wife of developer Richard LeFrak, a longtime friend of the president. As for the Trumps’ marriage, LeFrak wrote that “they are very happy! Their relationship is great.”

“All these rabid rumors about her and their relationship are laughable and fictional,” she wrote.

The first lady has yet to hire her own spokesman. Deputy White House press secretary Stephanie Grisham said Saturday that the first lady anticipates “a very busy upcoming week in D.C.,” and “will be joining the president soon.” She remains “focused on Barron as he finishes the school year,” Grisham noted.

First lady Melania Trump holds a fan as she tours the Morikami Museum and Japanese Gardens with Akie Abe, wife of Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, in Delray Beach, Fla.© Joe Skipper/Reuters First lady Melania Trump holds a fan as she tours the Morikami Museum and Japanese Gardens with Akie Abe, wife of Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, in Delray Beach, Fla.
Louise Sunshine, a former Trump Organization executive, has spoken with the first lady a half-dozen times since the election. She described her as “circumspect” and “very composed and very reserved” as she absorbs her new duties and learns to deal with the president and his advisers, a circle Sunshine compared to a “den of wolves.”

“There are a lot of forces there competing for attention,” Sunshine said. “She’s trying to assess the best way and the best place for her as the first lady and as the wife of a very impulsive, compulsive, erratic president. Let’s say erratic, accomplished president.”

“She doesn’t gossip, she doesn’t tell anyone her innermost thoughts, she’s not that trusting,” Sunshine said. “She does things with a great deal of forethought. She’s totally different than Donald, which is the good news. She thinks things over and says things in a thoughtful manner.”

Her task is all the more complex, she said, because the president is the perpetual star of his own one-man show.

“He dances alone,” Sunshine said. “He’s not into the tango.”

An exception to that rule occurred a month after the inauguration, when the president and the first lady shared a stage. She introduced her husband at a Florida rally, removing her sunglasses as she stepped to the microphone and, apropos of nothing, defended herself against unspecified attacks.

“I will always stay true to myself and be truthful to you,” the first lady promised, “no matter what the opposition is saying about me.”

It was eight days before she emerged again, hosting a black-tie dinner at the White House for the nation’s governors, an event she said she hoped would be a respite from “political labels and partisan interests.”

Her husband had others ideas, tweeting before salad was served: “Big dinner with Governors tonight at White House. Much to be discussed, including healthcare.”

Unnerving absences

On a Monday, Barron Trump’s Secret Service detail picked him up from school on the Upper West Side and delivered him to the Fifth Avenue tower his father made famous. Ivanka Trump’s jewelry line is on display in the lobby. Visitors can find books, coffee mugs and after-shave lotion bearing the name and visage of the 45th president.

The first lady is invisible.

Neither her face nor her name appear on any T-shirt, shampoo bottle or refrigerator magnet. Nor can she be found at the Trump Bar or the Trump Grill, an absence that’s fine by Georgianne Crager and Cherryl Nance, two pals in fur coats visiting from Mississippi.

“You don’t see her skinning and grinning for photo ops because she’s a mother first,” said Crager, 61, a nurse. “An amazing woman! I don’t understand why the liberals pick on her.”

Her friend nodded.

“Have you heard the saying, ‘The dog that caught the car?’ Looks to me like she got run over,” Crager said. “I feel sorry that she lost her freedom. But I admire that she said, ‘I’m staying right here.’ ”

Hillary Clinton did not remain in Arkansas with Chelsea, then 12, when her husband decamped for Washington. Instead, she settled into a West Wing office, immersed herself in health-care restructuring, and inspired the American Bar Association to host a debate about whether she held too much power.

After her husband became president, Michelle Obama, while caring for their two young daughters, spent her first weeks awash in plaudits as she toured federal agencies, read to schoolchildren and landed on the cover of Vogue.

Melania Trump has made a far different impression. Soon after the election, she announced that she would remain in New York until June, a decision that prompted questions about her fondness for her thrice-married husband, whose profane, sexist banter had roiled his campaign.

Although Melania has popped up here and there, her absences have unsettled purists who cite Jacqueline Kennedy and Nancy Reagan as beacons of stand-by-your-president rectitude.

“This is an important tradition and part of the pomp and parade that is this country,” said Robert Watson, a Lynn University professor who has studied first families. “This is bigger than Melania and Barron and bigger than The Donald.”

Yet Melania Trump’s approach may be an opportunity to “retire an anachronistic role,” said Katherine Jellison, an Ohio University history professor. “It’s about being the wife of a high-profile man, and inadvertently she may be disassembling the role.

“The signal I’m getting is she doesn’t want to be first lady,” Jellison said. “This is not just low-profile, but no profile.”

President Donald Trump waves as he walks with first lady Melania Trump during the inauguration parade on Jan. 20.© Evan Vucci/AP President Donald Trump waves as he walks with first lady Melania Trump during the inauguration parade on Jan. 20.
Personable in private

Before she became Mrs. Trump, Melania Knauss was a model whose high cheekbones and piercing blue eyes hijacked stylist Phillip Bloch’s attention when she walked into a Manhattan fashion show.

“I remember thinking, wow, she’s beautiful, she’ll be a star,” he recalled. She also exuded aloofness, and her visibility on New York’s fashion circuit — never great — grew more infrequent after Barron’s birth.

Over the years, Melania Trump’s Facebook posts have suggested solitude. Her photos are often devoid of people and shot through glass, either a car window or from her apartment, as if her perspective is from inside a luxurious fishbowl.

“Summer rain in NYC,” she captioned a photo of a water-pocked window overlooking Central Park.

“Driving between skyscrapers” was her title for a photo from beneath soaring glass towers and billowing clouds.

“Bye! I’m off to my #summer residence,” she announced in a rare selfie from a bathroom. Unsmiling, her eyes are concealed behind oversized black sunglasses. A gold-tinted mirror behind her reflects a toilet.

Anthony Senecal, the Trumps’ former butler at Mar-a-Lago, occasionally drove Melania on West Palm Beach, Fla., shopping trips to boutiques and the Whole Foods supermarket. He said she could be personable in ways the public rarely sees. Once, when she was alone at Mar-a-Lago, he said, she urged him to take time off to visit his dying sister.

“She said, ‘Tony, there isn’t anything I can’t get here — people will bring anything I ask for, you go be with your sister,’ ” he recalled. “She said, ‘From now on, when I’m here, consider me taken care of.’ ”

But she added: “When Donald’s here, you’ll have to stay.”

Melania’s warmth, he said, is often masked by a restrained veneer. “She just adapts, period,” he said. “You don’t know if she likes it or doesn’t like it. ‘This is his job, and this is my job to support my husband.’ ”

Twelve days after President Trump’s inauguration, after she had returned to New York, Jae Donnelly, a freelance photographer, snapped a picture of the first lady and Barron entering a dentist’s office near Trump Tower.

Donnelly wouldn’t reveal how he knew her destination, but within hours the photo was on the Daily Mail’s website and circulating on the Internet, with a headline about her running “errands.”

Donnelly no longer pursues her. “The opportunities are so few,” he said, “and you could be waiting for days upon days.”

Downtown, as they hunted for celebrities in Soho in mid-March, Miles Diggs and his partner, Cesar Peña, tallied up a day’s work: They shot Malia Obama as she walked into a Tribeca office building, Robert De Niro as he left a restaurant, and the actor Michael Colter as he bought odor-eaters at a Duane Reed drugstore.

They stopped trying to get the first lady last fall after striking out at Barron’s school. But, in their self-interested view, they think that she could help endear herself to the public with an unscripted foray every now and then.

“A photo of her coming out of Barneys with a bunch of shopping bags,” Diggs said, envisioning the headline: “First Lady Shops Till She Drops.”

“Can you imagine how that would sell?” he asked.

Yet it’s uncertain whether Melania Trump wants anyone to see beyond her practiced smile.

On the night before the swearing-in, she joined her husband at the Lincoln Memorial for a concert. In a backstage tent beforehand, the president-elect bantered for 20 minutes with his advisers, a campaign volunteer who had traveled to Washington for the festivities, and a reporter.

All the while, the first lady sat in a folding chair alongside her husband, as still and silent as a mannequin, as if oblivious to the chatter around her.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/in-new-york-searching-for-the-reclusive-and-elusive-melania-trump/ar-BByTULC?ocid=SK216DHP

She has my deepest sympathies.
Kill the humourless

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24293 on: March 28, 2017, 12:46:59 am »
Why - I love NY and have friends there but no way i would go while Trump is president.

Unless there are measures that go further in their extremity I just dont see how most people, particlularly as most dont take politics that seriously, would turn their backs on some massively popular tourist destinations.

Only things like safety, cost and something super extreme would cause such a significant long term drop off.

Offline Brissyred

• RAWK's Great Uncle Google......
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #24294 on: March 28, 2017, 01:21:19 am »
Unless there are measures that go further in their extremity I just dont see how most people, particlularly as most dont take politics that seriously, would turn their backs on some massively popular tourist destinations.

Only things like safety, cost and something super extreme would cause such a significant long term drop off.

My daughter has just come back fro the states, she's a white Australian. She travels a lot, this is her third time in the US. She said she'll never go back, the customs experience was the worst she's had anywhere in the world and the animosity was palpable.

Offline Brissyred

• RAWK's Great Uncle Google......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24295 on: March 28, 2017, 01:26:10 am »

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-02-25/mem-fox-detained-at-los-angeles-airport-by-us-officials/8303366

Offline theMilkman

• but doesn't deliver.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24296 on: March 28, 2017, 02:20:37 am »

Current harassment levels are more than enough.

Online GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24297 on: March 28, 2017, 03:55:44 am »
It's not like tourism will drop to zero, but the impact will be significant. For one thing, Muslim tourism will drop to virtually zero. Others of middle-eastern or African appearance will be deterred. And there will be a fair number of boycotts among other communities. I can see prices getting slashed across the board to try and revive the tourist numbers and save face for the government, but profits will surely be hit.

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24298 on: March 28, 2017, 04:47:15 am »

I have always felt that the stock market bounce this year was down to Republicans controlling all three levels of government. And more importantly that the Congress was going to reward their big donors and get their way with a Republican president.

The failure of Trump and congress to work out a healthcare deal together has made them nervous that the free for all they imagined may not come to pass after all.
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24299 on: March 28, 2017, 04:51:02 am »
It's not like tourism will drop to zero, but the impact will be significant. For one thing, Muslim tourism will drop to virtually zero. Others of middle-eastern or African appearance will be deterred. And there will be a fair number of boycotts among other communities. I can see prices getting slashed across the board to try and revive the tourist numbers and save face for the government, but profits will surely be hit.

Group tours will be the biggest hit. In Canada many school boards, clubs and organisations are no longer planning US trips in case one of the group is not allowed through.

Offline Garrus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24300 on: March 28, 2017, 06:18:58 am »
Increased checks of social media, e-mail etc. is going to deter tourism. I mean, most of us have made jokes of Trump and at the very least that will probably guarantee an extra thorough cavity check, especially if you belong to certain ethnicities.

Once they realise how much tourism they begin to lose, we should see a little more softening but I wouldn't bet on that happening until late 2018 or something at best.

Offline Party Phil

• Boring Cunt that flies Air Bizarre
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Big in Japan
« Reply #24301 on: March 28, 2017, 07:25:38 am »

I am. Was planning to go on holiday to California this summer but there's no way I'm going there by choice whilst this bunch of racist clowns are in power. I'm actually considering conscientious objection to going there with work if I for any reason I have to go.
If you're lying, I'll chop your head off.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24302 on: March 28, 2017, 09:39:24 am »
There will be a reduction but I am not convinced it will be a massive one. I still think they would have to go more extreme before we see a mass reduction.

To be honest the USA has never been seen as a great place to visit for certain ethnicities even before Trump. Its only anecdotal but the amount of times i have had to try to sell NYC to young muslims thinking of a city holiday has been vast. Its never been seen as a massively welcolming country for a number of people.

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24303 on: March 28, 2017, 10:29:23 am »
Well, if we're analysing their tourism sector, then the first question has to be what percentage of exports it is? From the selectusa site:

The U.S. travel and tourism industry generated nearly $1.6 trillion in economic output in 2015, supporting 7.6 million U.S. jobs. Travel and tourism exports accounted for 11 percent of all U.S. exports and nearly a third (33 percent) of all U.S. services exports, positioning travel and tourism as the nation's largest services export. One out of every 18 Americans is employed, either directly or indirectly, in a travel or tourism-related industry. In 2015, U.S. travel and tourism output represented 2.6 percent of gross domestic product

I'm not sure it's critically important to their economy to the point it will become a major political weapon against Herr Trump, but it is certainly one of the most visible potential failures.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24304 on: March 28, 2017, 10:42:45 am »

Well seeing as America is being run by a hard line, misogynist regime that treats it's working poor with contempt, objectifies women, shits on migrants and persecutes its own minorities, I don't see why they deserve a penny of my money.  There are many other beautiful places in the world that are far more welcoming and don't have Donald Drumpf in charge.

But then I'm sure plenty of people don't bat an eyelid when visiting Qatar.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #24305 on: March 28, 2017, 10:52:10 am »
US tourism experiences a 'Trump slump'

Analysts estimate that President Trump has cost the US travel industry $185m in lost revenue, with significant drop in flight searches and bookings

Interest in travel to the US has “fallen off a cliff” since Donald Trump’s election, according to travel companies who have reported a significant drop in flight searches and bookings since his inauguration and controversial travel ban.

Data released this week by travel search engine Kayak reported a 58% decline in searches for flights to Tampa and Orlando from the UK, and a 52% decline in searches for Miami. Searches for San Diego were also down 43%, Las Vegas by 36% and Los Angeles 32%.

Though flight prices are holding firm (they usually take weeks rather than days to adjust to consumer trends), Kayak has identified a knock-on effect on average hotel prices. It found prices in Las Vegas are down by 39% and New York City by 32%.

It is the latest in a string of reports from the travel industry that suggests a “Trump slump”, with the Global Business Travel Association (GBTA) estimating that since being elected President Trump has cost the US travel industry $185m in lost revenue.

Flight app Hopper released research earlier this month month that showed flight search from international origins to the US has dropped 17% since Trump’s inauguration, compared with the final weeks of the Obama administration. It found a similar pattern to Kayak, with San Francisco and Las Vegas seeing the largest declines in search interest.

Hopper found there has been a sharp drop in flight searches to the US since Trump’s travel ban, with a 30% decrease in predominantly Muslim countries regardless of whether they were included in the ban. In Saudi Arabia flight searches dropped by 33% and in Bahrain by 37%, even though neither were included in Trump’s executive order.

Though flight demand to the US dropped in 94 of 122 countries, Hopper found a notable exception in Russia, where flight search demand to the US was up by 88%.

Hopper said it believes the change does not represent a seasonal effect: last year there was only a 1.8% decline over a comparable time period.

Analyst Forward Keys has also released a report on air travel to the US following the Trump travel ban. It found that in the week following the ban, bookings from the affected countries – Iraq, Syria, Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan and Yemen – fell by 80% compared with the same period last year.

Net bookings to the US are down by 6.5% (excluding China), according to Forward Keys. The analyst says that the Trump travel ban “is putting off people travelling to the US from many regions of the world, beyond the Middle East”.

The good news for travellers seeking alternative destinations to the US is that many long-haul and European destinations are now cheaper to get to. Kayak found that flight prices have dropped significantly to Mexico (down by 39% to an average of £444), Rio (down by 23%), New Zealand (22%) and Singapore (20%). The average cost of flights to European destinations this summer has also fallen compared with 2016, including Pula in Croatia (down 42%), Ibiza (down 32%) and Faro, Portugal (down 20%).

source

Offline youll never walk alone it

• Can no longer walk alone as he has whiplash... or that's what his insurer thinks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24306 on: March 28, 2017, 11:06:07 am »

Well seeing as America is being run by a hard line, misogynist regime that treats it's working poor with contempt, objectifies women, shits on migrants and persecutes its own minorities, I don't see why they deserve a penny of my money.  There are many other beautiful places in the world that are far more welcoming and don't have Donald Drumpf in charge.

[/quote] I know trump is a shitbag of high proportions but they have had shitbags in charge for as long as i can remember, meddling in other countries, helping to kill millions in the process, having said that im not getting any younger and feeling like a trip to san francisco soonish.
Im drunk  but i havent had  a drink!  bob paisley after rome 77                The times i had here wernt all great, we only  finished 2nd one  season....the great  bob paisley

when shanks was asked  how he relaxed,  he said  he looks at the league table and checks where everton are...

Online west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #24307 on: March 28, 2017, 11:45:19 am »
Surely it depends on where people are intending on going in such a large country? Most tourists I would guess go to NY and California, both of which are liberal Democratic states so I would personally have no issue in going there, nor would it be fair to boycott these places because of Trump as they have been his most critical. If it was Texas, or some other gun totting red neck state I'd probably stay clear though.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline theMilkman

• but doesn't deliver.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24308 on: March 28, 2017, 12:06:43 pm »
I think the point people are making is it's not just about making a political stance- in many cases it's just about it being a pain to get into the country.

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/02/28/world/french-historian-held-at-airport-trnd/

http://www.billboard.com/articles/events/sxsw/7723869/customs-officials-travel-advisory-visas-banned-bands

https://www.recode.net/2017/2/28/14764064/nigerian-software-engineer-detained-by-us-customs

http://www.theverge.com/2017/2/12/14583124/nasa-sidd-bikkannavar-detained-cbp-phone-search-trump-travel-ban

And these are just the stories that have come out. I know of a guy who was travelling on a business trip from London with four other colleagues, and he was denied a visa- despite the fact he's made the same trip about twice a year for the past 5 or 6. He was the only one who got his visa rejected and just happens to have been born in Malaysia, even though he's not a Muslim and is now a British Citizen. If you're not white, it's just not worth the potential aggro IMO. It may not be worth it even if you are. No one wants to start off their holiday by being harrassed for hours at a shitty airport while some halfwit with a badge tries to figure out if he can send you back for not being able to answer a programming question he just googled.

Before there was definitely a bit of a reluctance among the Muslims i know to travel to the States for whatever reason. Now that extends to practically everyone I know who's not American.

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm in love with here and I feel fine
« Reply #24309 on: March 28, 2017, 12:07:30 pm »
There will be a reduction but I am not convinced it will be a massive one. I still think they would have to go more extreme before we see a mass reduction.

To be honest the USA has never been seen as a great place to visit for certain ethnicities even before Trump. Its only anecdotal but the amount of times i have had to try to sell NYC to young muslims thinking of a city holiday has been vast. Its never been seen as a massively welcolming country for a number of people.

It's very early days and there are already quite striking decreases overall. This article is a month old too.

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2017/feb/28/us-tourism-experiences-a-trump-slump

Surely it depends on where people are intending on going in such a large country? Most tourists I would guess go to NY and California, both of which are liberal Democratic states so I would personally have no issue in going there, nor would it be fair to boycott these places because of Trump as they have been his most critical. If it was Texas, or some other gun totting red neck state I'd probably stay clear though.

I can imagine a lot of potential tourists are not aware of the finer details of regional politics, instead seeing the US as a representation of Trump.
What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Online filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #24310 on: March 28, 2017, 12:10:05 pm »
Florida is probably just about the only Red State that sees large scale overseas tourism anyway.

Not that I will be visiting the US anytime soon anyway, but that has as much to do with the increased expense following on from the collapse in Sterling, as it does with the piece of shit they elected President, and the uncertainty about what kind of experience you will have at the airport when you arrive.

Offline Salger

• Kopite
« Reply #24311 on: March 28, 2017, 12:29:34 pm »

Good point and it sums up the very fickle/superficial nature of most of the population. They're happy to overlook tyrannical regimes with appalling human rights records etc etc... in return for cheap flights and hot weather. I'm sure if you took the 'travel ban' out of the equation, numbers wouldn't have dropped so dramatically.
Wir Glauben
2016 Cheltenham Tipster Competition Winner
2022 Aintree Tipster Competition Winner

Offline Salger

• Kopite
« Reply #24312 on: March 28, 2017, 12:33:25 pm »
US tourism experiences a 'Trump slump'
Data released this week by travel search engine Kayak reported a 58% decline in searches for flights to Tampa and Orlando from the UK, and a 52% decline in searches for Miami. Searches for San Diego were also down 43%, Las Vegas by 36% and Los Angeles 32%.

snip

Analyst Forward Keys has also released a report on air travel to the US following the Trump travel ban. It found that in the week following the ban, bookings from the affected countries – Iraq, Syria, Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan and Yemen – fell by 80% compared with the same period last year.

As with most things these days, I'm sure there's a tendency to over emphasise these changes and suspect one major reason for the decline is general economics, austerity, brexit etc, rather than just Trump. Figures for the rest of the world may well reflect a similar decline.

I do admire the optimism/stubbornness of those people from the banned countries still searching for flights though!
Wir Glauben
2016 Cheltenham Tipster Competition Winner
2022 Aintree Tipster Competition Winner

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm in love with here and I feel fine
« Reply #24313 on: March 28, 2017, 12:36:25 pm »

Or the Emirates. Or Turkey.
What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24314 on: March 28, 2017, 12:49:57 pm »
the uncertainty about what kind of experience you will have at the airport when you arrive.
This.

It would be understandable for anyone with a trip to anywhere Muslim on their passport history to have fears about facing a US entry official.
Kill the humourless

Offline theMilkman

• but doesn't deliver.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24315 on: March 28, 2017, 12:58:27 pm »
More on people literally saying they're not going to the US because of Agent Orange and his bullshit travel policies

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-travel-slump-2017-story.html

“Think twice about visiting America if you don’t want the ‘Mem Fox’ treatment,’’ read a recent headline in the letters column of the Australian magazine Traveller, referring to the children’s book author who swore she would never return to the United States after being questioned at Los Angeles International Airport on her way to a literary conference.
On her last trip, a weekend visit in mid-February to see a friend who’d had a heart attack, she said she was pulled out of a line at Washington’s Dulles International Airport and made to sit three hours before she was finally admitted. She was only briefly questioned and not given any explanation about why she was held, although she assumed it was because of her Mexican passport.

“I was going to make another trip to Miami to visit my sister, who just bought an apartment there,” said Teran. “But not now. Not after what I went through.”
Heywood was speaking from Berlin, where a major travel trade show, ITB Berlin, is underway, with the U.S. political situation one of the main topics of discussion among participants.

“It is a perception challenge,” he said. “People worry what will happen to them at the border. They worry if their cellphone will be searched, what [passwords for] websites they will be asked to jot down.”

A survey released Wednesday by the Washington-based Global Business Travel Assn. found that 45% of European business travel professionals say they are less likely to schedule meetings or events in the U.S.
A 30-year-old laboratory technician born in Canada to Indian immigrant parents was held for six hours last weekend and turned back when she tried to go with her friends to a spa weekend in Vermont. She told the Canadian press that her friends, who are white, were not challenged.
Henry Rousso, a prominent French historian and Holocaust expert, and Muhammad Ali Jr., the son of the legendary boxer and a U.S. citizen, have also complained of aggressive airport questioning (twice, in Ali’s case).
But the exchange rate doesn’t explain everything, according to the CEO of the French travel association Voyageurs du Monde, Jean-Francois Rial.
“We prefer to go to Mexico or Canada because of Trump,” he said. “We still have people every week who tell us that.”

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #24316 on: March 28, 2017, 01:13:26 pm »
Karim Rashid
15 hrs ·

I had a crazy journey. I had phenomenal turbulance for about 4 hours, i was on Turkish Airlines and banned from using my iPad and tech even though they have the best wireless of all airlines (thanks to Donald Racist Trump). Then a woman died on the plane. it took 1 hour and about 24 people to board the plane from police to health inspectors to agents to ambulance crew to inspect everything before we were allowed to disembark. Then After flying these 18 hours from Tbilisi Georgia I landed in JFK to be rejected at Global Entry. I was put in the border customs and immigration room for over an hour. I watched many immigrants come in and out and i was the longest in the room. This happened to me after 9/11 for about 4 years until i became a USA citizen. I had a greencarid prior with a Canadian passport. Apparently my name is on some watch list again. it stopped 13 years ago after getting a US passport but now i am not sure what the solution will be. I was asked to put my name, my height, birthdate, social security number and weight on a paper that the officer literally scribbled on. No official form. Then told to have a seat in a dirty disgusting space. Nothing to read, can't use your phone, and not allowed to call anyone. When i wanted to go to the toilet i was escorted and watched in a hold room with hooks for handcuffs. Finally a call supposedly from Washington cleared me. But i assume now this will keep happening to me again. It is 2017. What about the digital age? is there no more advanced way to know i am not the Karim Rashid they are looking for? Based on my height, weight,birthdate, and social security number? This data is so rudimentary and why over the phone does someone in Washington clear me based on what i wrote on a paper? i could have wrote anything. And this is all thankful to @realDonaldTrump and his racial profiling of Muslims. i am not even Muslim. it is only a name.

https://www.dezeen.com/2017/03/28/karim-rashid-suffers-crazy-ordeal-trying-to-enter-the-us/?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Daily%20Dezeen%20Digest&utm_content=Daily%20Dezeen%20Digest+CID_dbe6375ef68a4136410b054d2bde7a35&utm_source=Dezeen%20Mail&utm_term=Karim%20Rashid%20suffers
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline jambutty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24317 on: March 28, 2017, 02:17:48 pm »
Karim Rashid
15 hrs ·

I had a crazy journey. I had phenomenal turbulance for about 4 hours, i was on Turkish Airlines and banned from using my iPad and tech even though they have the best wireless of all airlines (thanks to Donald Racist Trump). Then a woman died on the plane. it took 1 hour and about 24 people to board the plane from police to health inspectors to agents to ambulance crew to inspect everything before we were allowed to disembark. Then After flying these 18 hours from Tbilisi Georgia I landed in JFK to be rejected at Global Entry. I was put in the border customs and immigration room for over an hour. I watched many immigrants come in and out and i was the longest in the room. This happened to me after 9/11 for about 4 years until i became a USA citizen. I had a greencarid prior with a Canadian passport. Apparently my name is on some watch list again. it stopped 13 years ago after getting a US passport but now i am not sure what the solution will be. I was asked to put my name, my height, birthdate, social security number and weight on a paper that the officer literally scribbled on. No official form. Then told to have a seat in a dirty disgusting space. Nothing to read, can't use your phone, and not allowed to call anyone. When i wanted to go to the toilet i was escorted and watched in a hold room with hooks for handcuffs. Finally a call supposedly from Washington cleared me. But i assume now this will keep happening to me again. It is 2017. What about the digital age? is there no more advanced way to know i am not the Karim Rashid they are looking for? Based on my height, weight,birthdate, and social security number? This data is so rudimentary and why over the phone does someone in Washington clear me based on what i wrote on a paper? i could have wrote anything. And this is all thankful to @realDonaldTrump and his racial profiling of Muslims. i am not even Muslim. it is only a name.

https://www.dezeen.com/2017/03/28/karim-rashid-suffers-crazy-ordeal-trying-to-enter-the-us/?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Daily%20Dezeen%20Digest&utm_content=Daily%20Dezeen%20Digest+CID_dbe6375ef68a4136410b054d2bde7a35&utm_source=Dezeen%20Mail&utm_term=Karim%20Rashid%20suffers
This account will delight the Trump supporters.
Kill the humourless

Offline jambutty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24318 on: March 28, 2017, 02:24:33 pm »
It used to be called traveling while Black.  Now it's traveling possibly Muslim.

This is what 911/Cheney/Jihad has spawned.

Sad.
Kill the humourless

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24319 on: March 28, 2017, 02:27:56 pm »
More on people literally saying they're not going to the US because of Agent Orange and his bullshit travel policies

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-travel-slump-2017-story.html

Again its only anecdotal evidence but USA wasn't seen as a particularly friendly or great place to visit for many people even before Trump came into office and those who did go had a shit opinion of immigration and officials before all this.