Author Topic: Windows 10, professional spyware.  (Read 99796 times)

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Windows 10 free upgrade, even if your copy if pirated
« Reply #120 on: June 21, 2015, 06:36:44 pm »
I guess it's game dependent somewhat, DX 11.2 in Windows 8.1 gave games like Battlefield 4 a 30% performance boost.
Forgot all about DX 11.2, didn't realise it was such a big boost. Would have upgraded ages ago. Think the move from 7 to 10 should see quite an improvement.
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #121 on: June 21, 2015, 06:42:23 pm »
Forgot all about DX 11.2, didn't realise it was such a big boost. Would have upgraded ages ago. Think the move from 7 to 10 should see quite an improvement.

Yeah on my old AMD 6950 I was dipping below 45FPS on low/medium settings, upgraded to Windows 8.1 and it never dropped below 60, often hitting 70/80.

The jump should be noticeable with both DX11.2 and DX12. Can't see any reason to stay on 7 from a purely gaming perspective.
:D

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #122 on: June 21, 2015, 08:27:13 pm »
Will it retain all your favourites and toolbars, etc?
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #123 on: June 21, 2015, 09:50:14 pm »
Update, June 21st 9:45AM: Microsoft has updated its blog post today and removed references to "remain activated." The stealthy edit isn't acknowledged, and we've reached out to the company for comment.

Skip the preview upgrade thing until this is clarified.

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: June 21, 2015, 10:07:40 pm »
I still haven't received the invitation to register for the upgrade despite installing all optional updates and having a genuine license.

Anyone else not got it yet?

Offline reniformis

• Legacy Fan
  • Innocence and Arrogance Entwined
« Reply #125 on: June 22, 2015, 12:00:18 pm »
Update, June 21st 9:45AM: Microsoft has updated its blog post today and removed references to "remain activated." The stealthy edit isn't acknowledged, and we've reached out to the company for comment.

Skip the preview upgrade thing until this is clarified.

Update: http://gizmodo.com/microsoft-cant-decide-if-its-giving-away-windows-10-for-1712992762

Speculating that Insiders will get W10 RTM and it will activate but won't have an actual valid licence. That shouldn't really affect individual private users but would stop businesses and PC sellers from taking advantage, which is where Microsoft makes most of its money. It may be that the insider upgrade can only be gotten from running a pre-release build and updating from there so you can't clean install an RTM ISO with an insider key. Who knows.
The Past Is Only The Future With The Lights On

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: June 22, 2015, 12:11:31 pm »
Will it retain all your favourites and toolbars, etc?
Chrome? Browsers will retain their settings, it goes to the cloud, so once you sign in again (if you have to that is), everything will resynch.
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: June 22, 2015, 12:39:34 pm »
Chrome? Browsers will retain their settings, it goes to the cloud, so once you sign in again (if you have to that is), everything will resynch.

Cheers - I use Firefox but I assume it's the same?
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Twelfth Man

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: June 22, 2015, 02:13:29 pm »
Cheers - I use Firefox but I assume it's the same?
Yep, pretty certain it syncs the same. Check options and see whether you can save your settings to desktop (USB stick, external drive) or (better still) a cloud. With Google Chrome you have to sign-in. Not used Firefox for a while, but as long as you have to sign in, you should be fine, otherwise make a back-up of your settings. Seriously mate, I don't think it will come to that, Windows 10 is an upgrade so all your programs will be fine.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: June 22, 2015, 02:24:07 pm »
Yep, pretty certain it syncs the same. Check options and see whether you can save your settings to desktop (USB stick, external drive) or (better still) a cloud. With Google Chrome you have to sign-in. Not used Firefox for a while, but as long as you have to sign in, you should be fine, otherwise make a back-up of your settings. Seriously mate, I don't think it will come to that, Windows 10 is an upgrade so all your programs will be fine.

Thanks a lot. :)

Offline Smudgester

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #130 on: June 22, 2015, 10:28:01 pm »
Windows 10 is much better performance wise than Windows 7 (as were 8 and 8.1).

The Start menu (although a little buggy on the last couple of technical preview builds) is pretty nice too, so if that put you off 8 & 8.1 then it's worth checking it out.

Very glad they've decided to give a free upgrade to users running Windows 10 technical preview. I didn't have a legit Windows 7/8/8.1 so it saves me worrying about waiting for a pirate version or parting with any money.
I am confused ... this thread started with a post saying pirated Win7 gets a legit Win10.

Is this no longer correct?

Online JasonF

• Frenkie says "Ilaix, don't do it"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Funny T-Shirts
« Reply #131 on: June 22, 2015, 10:33:22 pm »
I am confused ... this thread started with a post saying pirated Win7 gets a legit Win10.

Is this no longer correct?

The latest seems to be no, unless you enter the technical preview and opt to continue receiving test updates after the full version is out:

http://www.theverge.com/2015/6/22/8826117/microsoft-forced-to-explain-who-really-gets-windows-10-for-free

Not something that bothers me, the technical preview has been stable enough for me to use for work and general use so I've no reason to think the testing will be any less stable after the full version launces 29th July. I guess it's a bit of a shift from what the opening post suggested though, but that always seemed a bit too good to be true to me.

Offline Smudgester

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: June 22, 2015, 10:38:21 pm »
Still confused ... that link says nothing about pirated 7/8 no longer qualifying for a free 10?

Online JasonF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Funny T-Shirts
« Reply #133 on: June 22, 2015, 10:47:54 pm »
You're right, it doesn't. If they're making beta testers jump through hoops to get it for free though, and linking the license to your Microsoft account so that OEM's and businesses can't get free licenses then I doubt they'll be going out of their way to do pirates any favours.

Offline Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #134 on: June 22, 2015, 10:53:35 pm »
Everyone I know with a pirated copy of Windows 8.1 (which is everybody I know) says they have the Windows 10 upgrade icon in the system tray after fully updating.

Online JasonF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Funny T-Shirts

Offline Pheeny

• Captain Pheeny of Maastricht
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Go and wake your kids up!"
  • Super Title: The King of Belgium
« Reply #136 on: June 23, 2015, 07:59:45 pm »
My windows thingy has disappeared.

Offline Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #137 on: June 23, 2015, 08:09:02 pm »
http://techcrunch.com/2015/06/22/haha-microsofts-windows-10-upgrade-path-for-pirates-is-confusing-as-shit/

I'm just going to download an ISO once it's out, install and activate using KMSPico. This whole upgrade thing is so backward. I actually have some legit Windows 7 keys lying about on old laptops but it's so convoluted, piracy is easier.

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: June 23, 2015, 08:38:24 pm »
it's really not
STFU and agree with me.

Offline Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #139 on: June 23, 2015, 08:42:43 pm »
It's convoluted enough, I'd have to install Windows 7, update it fully, reserve my Windows 10 copy, then sod around upgrading without a proper fresh install.

In my mind it's simpler to just use an ISO and format my system with a clean Windows 10.

Offline Twelfth Man

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: June 23, 2015, 08:51:13 pm »
A clean Windows 10 install is vaguely arousing..

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: June 23, 2015, 08:54:04 pm »
It's convoluted enough, I'd have to install Windows 7, update it fully, reserve my Windows 10 copy, then sod around upgrading without a proper fresh install.

In my mind it's simpler to just use an ISO and format my system with a clean Windows 10.

The subject possesses the low sloping brow common in the underclasses and most prominent amongst the criminal gangs...
STFU and agree with me.

Offline Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #142 on: June 23, 2015, 09:28:51 pm »
A clean Windows 10 install is vaguely arousing..

So clean and pure, ready for you to make dirty....

Erm

The subject possesses the low sloping brow common in the underclasses and most prominent amongst the criminal gangs...

You wanna' go ?!  ;D

Online oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #143 on: July 1, 2015, 12:55:27 pm »
Stuff like this, with one month to go before it's release, doesn't inspire confidence in how ready - or good for the user - Windows 10 will be:-

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/06/30/windows_10_wi_fi_sense/

I'll be giving it a couple of months before considering putting it on my and clients' computers - see if/when/how they iron out the kinks, flaws and issues first...

Vista Remembers! (in a northern Game Of Thrones stylee)
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline Pheeny

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: July 1, 2015, 04:44:26 pm »
Stuff like this, with one month to go before it's release, doesn't inspire confidence in how ready - or good for the user - Windows 10 will be:-

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/06/30/windows_10_wi_fi_sense/

I'll be giving it a couple of months before considering putting it on my and clients' computers - see if/when/how they iron out the kinks, flaws and issues first...

Vista Remembers! (in a northern Game Of Thrones stylee)
My internet provider does that now.It's called "Homepspot" anyone can use your wifi if you both agree to using "Homespot" and vice versa.

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: July 1, 2015, 08:26:37 pm »
My internet provider does that now.It's called "Homepspot" anyone can use your wifi if you both agree to using "Homespot" and vice versa.

It's the method it does it that is the problem. Your 'homespot' router is designed for it and will have a separate wifi network from your main one running with it's own authentication system.  The way Windows 10 is doing it is by literally giving the same password you use to all your friends and their friends (in the background and encrypted but still a much greater security risk).

Offline capt k

• aaaaaaaavemaaaaaaaaan!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • id rather be fishing
JFT 96

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: July 11, 2015, 05:48:48 pm »
sounds to me that people have found some slides, put 2 and 2 together and came up with 5

the existence of the slide proves nothing at all
STFU and agree with me.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #148 on: July 12, 2015, 10:23:46 pm »
Pleasantly surprised by it so far, and I really hated windows 8. Bit concerned over some of the security stuff which is in there all the same - not least the microsoft account becoming the sign-in for nigh on absolutely everything. Dislike having the same password for so many things. But generally, it's performing perfectly fine with my desktop. Some niggly glitches in there still (graphics card not being recognised correctly has been the most irritating so far). Would keep to be honest, but see how much more is revealed and I'll decide then whether or not to roll back to 7.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 11:57:16 pm by Zeb »
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Online JasonF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Funny T-Shirts
« Reply #149 on: July 15, 2015, 11:58:04 pm »
I'm on build 10240 now, no watermark near status bar, Windows is activated, not encountered any bugs as yet, seems pretty final to me though I'm sure there will be a few more updates between now and the launch on the 29th.

The last few builds have been running perfectly for me.

Online oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #150 on: July 16, 2015, 01:31:25 pm »
Good to see you can still use a local account rather than a Microsoft one to use Windows 10.

Not sure about the receiving additional updates from Microsoft whether I want them or not with no opt-out - at a time/day to suit them - not me.

I'd much prefer to manually do updates when I'm good and ready - usually a week or two after MS have had the chance to fix, replace or withdraw some of the more troublesome updates they send us. I also want to turn my pc off when I want - not have to wait for some considerable time due to updates downloading, installing and configuring which'll leave me late for other jobs. it will affect everyone to varying degrees - but still quite annoying, especially for people on the move a lot.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 02:34:13 pm by oojason »
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline mattybeard

• Chicken Fondler. Group hug? Anyone?
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #151 on: July 16, 2015, 04:20:04 pm »
I've only played with Windows 10 a little so far but so far good. Get's rid of the Windows 8 full screen hogging aspects which is only a good thing.

I was mainly wanting to try the Xbox One streaming which isn't bad so far. I think my Sky router struggles with the WiFi signal though which is mightily frustrating.

Offline Smudgester

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #152 on: July 16, 2015, 09:29:19 pm »
Will the 3GB downloadable install file allow you to do a completely clean install from inside Win7 ?

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: July 16, 2015, 09:36:41 pm »
Will the 3GB downloadable install file allow you to do a completely clean install from inside Win7 ?

Doing an install from within Windows is by definition not a clean install.

Offline Pheeny

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: July 17, 2015, 08:42:56 pm »
Is it available now?

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: July 17, 2015, 08:47:29 pm »
Is it available now?

Technical Previews are (https://insider.windows.com/), the official release date for the final version is the 29th.

Offline Pheeny

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: July 17, 2015, 10:57:28 pm »
Ok think I'll wait then.

Offline Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #157 on: July 18, 2015, 04:46:38 am »
Build 10240 is the RTM build so that's the final version. You can download it now.

Offline Smudgester

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #158 on: July 18, 2015, 09:38:54 am »
Doing an install from within Windows is by definition not a clean install.
True, but the last time I did an install from within Windows it gave the option of wiping the hard drive first.

Or am I going to have copy the 3GB file to USB or DVD and boot off it?

Offline reniformis

• Legacy Fan
  • Innocence and Arrogance Entwined
« Reply #159 on: July 18, 2015, 11:07:11 am »
Build 10240 is the RTM build so that's the final version. You can download it now.

Not officially I think. I was on 10162 and updated through that to 10240. I had a look on the insider site to see if I could download the ISO for 10240 and MS have removed the downloads page and say they aren't 'onboarding any new PC's' so close to the release date although you can still update any PC's already set up on the insider program, whatever that means.

I had concerns about transfer of licences and activation but the EULA for 10240 (you can find it by searching for/running the command winver) looks the same as Windows 8.1 in that regard ie if your underlying licence for win 7/8.1 is transferable then the free upgrade to 10 is as well. And it appears that there will be a 10-year support cycle for W10 as for previous windows versions:

http://www.maximumpc.com/microsoft-addresses-windows-10-subscription-fears-with-10-year-support-commitment/

although it's only officially supported if it's fully updated. Not something that is relevant to Home users as they'll be getting updates whether they like it or not. Pro users can delay updates by up to 8 months, any longer than that and they stop receiving them and the installation stops being supported. Also, "supported for the lifetime of the device" appears to mean that if your W10 installation is on an old PC/Tablet or whatever, and a future upgrade breaks the OS because of a lack of old hardware support, then you're screwed. BUT as long as it's not OEM/preinstalled then you should be able to transfer the licence to another device instead. I think.

Anyway, Windows 10 itself is really very good. I'm running it on an old Athlon 64 X2 5200+ (2.6GHz dual core)/2GB RAM build and it absolutely pisses on Win 7. A few UI annoyances (slightly blurry text due to the old barely-supported video card) and e-mails that I've already read and deleted still appearing in the notification centre and the like (that may be because I read my outlook emails through chrome and not through the MS mail app) but I reckon 10 is continuing the microsoft good/shite OS cycle.
The Past Is Only The Future With The Lights On