Author Topic: Simon Mignolet  (Read 279294 times)

Offline dramared

• No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: The Simon Mignolet is boss thread.
« Reply #160 on: August 28, 2016, 06:04:49 pm »
I think he has been a lot better this season already, his clearances by coming out and thumping the ball has been really good.
Usually he either doesn't thump far enough or misses it and ends on his arse.
His footwork has been pretty sound too.

Offline Passmaster Molby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #161 on: August 28, 2016, 07:48:26 pm »
Was a good appearance on GOS by Simon, and whilst I am still dubious about whether he is good enough I can see why Klopp likes his attitude. He is smart, works hard and wants to improve, and as a fan I can see he is making improvements to his game. He is exactly the type of player Klopp talks about when he says he would rather coach and improve a player instead of signing a replacement.

Offline gloves

• Anny Roader
« Reply #162 on: September 1, 2016, 04:13:15 am »
He wasnt at fault for the goal yesterday, explained that he was protecting the far post as thats where you expect aleft footer to put it. I actually think Rose scuffed his shot. Very unlucky. 
I'm pretty sure I read a quote from Danny Rose who admitted that he shanked his shot and was lucky to see it go in. I can't seem to find the article though. And personally I think Mignolet's been solid at the start of this season. Having said that you can still see some of the hesitation to come off his line for some of the longer balls played over the top but nothing has really come of those rare moments this season. Hopefully they won't either!

I know it's hard but I think the fan base needs to try to at least view some of the goals with some objectivity. Every goal conceded is somehow his fault ...

I saw Lloris concede the first goal against Everton and some pundits were claiming he had no chance and yet I saw in another game where another keeper (can't recall who) faced a similar in-swinging free kick but was able to get across to it even though there were bodies flying in front of him who missed the ball. But no media outlets report the goal as the fault of the Spurs keeper. You could argue that Lloris himself had a part to play in Spur's failed title challenge as there was at least one goal in their last game against Arsenal (who came back in the game) where he probably should have done better but still conceded.

I'm not arguing that Lloris is not a better keeper. I'm just saying that he is on the flip side of the coin where Mignolet is. None of his mistakes -and they are mistakes- are seen as such. But I guess the situation with Mignolet has just gotten to a point where unless he has 2 full seasons of hardly putting a foot wrong he won't be able to reverse any opinions. I guess that's how these things go.

Offline Spanish Al

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #163 on: September 1, 2016, 06:06:25 am »
He is exactly the type of player Klopp talks about when he says he would rather coach and improve a player instead of signing a replacement.

Ummm, I may be being "whooshed" here but surely you're taking the piss?
Rafa Benitez: "Ill always keep in my heart the good times Ive had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager."

Offline Halewooder

• Anny Roader
« Reply #164 on: September 1, 2016, 07:15:29 am »
He is exactly the type of player Klopp talks about when he says he would rather coach and improve a player instead of signing a replacement.

And this is the type of philosophy that will cost us in the long run. Sometimes you just have to admit that players won't get any better and a replacement will be signed (Karius).  This is why the decision not to buy a proper left back wil come back to haunt us.

Offline vinothmct

• Kopite
« Reply #165 on: September 1, 2016, 07:54:08 am »
And this is the type of philosophy that will cost us in the long run. Sometimes you just have to admit that players won't get any better and a replacement will be signed (Karius).  This is why the decision not to buy a proper left back wil come back to haunt us.

We cant fix everything in One window. The seasons when we signed loads of players. Team cohesion was not there. We need a LB and CM and it will be fixed in next window.

Offline Spanish Al

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #166 on: September 1, 2016, 08:28:30 am »

Well fuck off and support united who will make nice shiny new expensive signings every window then. Because Jurgen Klopp builds things. And building things by developing his own players and players he feels can be developed. That philosophy you are saying will cost us is the exact one Jurgen Klopp will use during his time here.
Rafa Benitez: "Ill always keep in my heart the good times Ive had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager."

Offline Frizzo

• Having a Bad Hair Life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #167 on: September 1, 2016, 08:46:07 am »
Well fuck off and support united who will make nice shiny new expensive signings every window then. Because Jurgen Klopp builds things. And building things by developing his own players and players he feels can be developed. That philosophy you are saying will cost us is the exact one Jurgen Klopp will use during his time here.
Spot on!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Offline Frizzo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #168 on: September 1, 2016, 08:48:07 am »
I'm pretty sure I read a quote from Danny Rose who admitted that he shanked his shot and was lucky to see it go in. I can't seem to find the article though. And personally I think Mignolet's been solid at the start of this season. Having said that you can still see some of the hesitation to come off his line for some of the longer balls played over the top but nothing has really come of those rare moments this season. Hopefully they won't either!

I know it's hard but I think the fan base needs to try to at least view some of the goals with some objectivity. Every goal conceded is somehow his fault ...

I saw Lloris concede the first goal against Everton and some pundits were claiming he had no chance and yet I saw in another game where another keeper (can't recall who) faced a similar in-swinging free kick but was able to get across to it even though there were bodies flying in front of him who missed the ball. But no media outlets report the goal as the fault of the Spurs keeper. You could argue that Lloris himself had a part to play in Spur's failed title challenge as there was at least one goal in their last game against Arsenal (who came back in the game) where he probably should have done better but still conceded.

I'm not arguing that Lloris is not a better keeper. I'm just saying that he is on the flip side of the coin where Mignolet is. None of his mistakes -and they are mistakes- are seen as such. But I guess the situation with Mignolet has just gotten to a point where unless he has 2 full seasons of hardly putting a foot wrong he won't be able to reverse any opinions. I guess that's how these things go.
Absolutely. I made the comment a while ball that if you watch all of the goals from the weekend's games, mignolet would get blamed for pretty much all of them.

This is why people say he's "the shittest keeper in the league" and other such nonsense.

Online Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #169 on: September 1, 2016, 09:23:27 am »

Don't let him wind you up mate, look at the guy's post history, he's a colossal weapon.

Offline Halewooder

• Anny Roader
« Reply #170 on: September 1, 2016, 09:29:21 am »
Don't let him wind you up mate, look at the guy's post history, he's a colossal weapon.

Here we go.  The personal insults come out because I have a different opinion from anyone else.  Did I say we have to spend massive amounts of money like United or City do? No.

And as you so eloquently put it (your parents must be so proud), have you got specific examples to back up your insult?

Offline Spanish Al

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: September 1, 2016, 10:04:02 am »
Here we go.  The personal insults come out because I have a different opinion from anyone else.  Did I say we have to spend massive amounts of money like United or City do? No.

And as you so eloquently put it (your parents must be so proud), have you got specific examples to back up your insult?

I'm fine with people who have a different opinion. In fact I share the notion that I wish we had brought in a left back and got Dahoud if he was the man we wanted. However, I'm well-educated and knowledgeable enough to know that Rome wasn't built in a day and you can't solve all your problems at once regardless of net spend and how much people hate Moreno. I'm also not as silly as you are to come out with this opinion and then back it up by saying you actually think the world class manager (our manager too) Jurgen Klopp has a philosophy which is going to damage us and hold us back in the long run.

Someone calling you a colossal weapon is letting you off lightly. Forum guidelines don't allow posters to abuse other posters, so I can't call you a fucking tit.

But there's no guidelines telling me I can't "think" you are a fucking tit.

Offline MrRaptorTurtle

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: September 1, 2016, 12:07:56 pm »

Someone calling you a colossal weapon is letting you off lightly. Forum guidelines don't allow posters to abuse other posters, so I can't call you a fucking tit.

But there's no guidelines telling me I can't "think" you are a fucking tit.
I called someone on here that once, got a swift warning from one of the mods ;D

Offline il_principino

• Main Stander
  • You will never walk alone!
« Reply #173 on: September 1, 2016, 12:23:28 pm »

Nicht worry mann! Karius ist hier!  8)
---Aesthetic is everything------

Offline Spanish Al

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #174 on: September 1, 2016, 02:14:59 pm »
I called someone on here that once, got a swift warning from one of the mods ;D

My mid to late teen self called people names a couple times on here. Only got two bans and was watched for ages along with a couple of warnings.

Anyway, on Mignolet. I think he has played well so far, he hasnt made any glaring errors and produced a world class save against Spurs. I think Karius will replace him, I just don't know when. Will Klopp keep him in until he fucks up? Or will he throw Karius straight in?

We should have done with Mignolet what we are doing with Karius. We should have kept Pepe to let Mignolet settle in and let him grow into the role. If he didnt settle we'd have a good keeper in Pepe to bring in and vice versa. Mignolet was roughly the same age as Karius when we bought him which is very young for a goalkeeper. It would also have given Pepe a much needed kick up the arse with some serious competition. And Reina could have helped Mignolet with his glaring weaknesses. Confidence of coming out and at least punching everything in your way and distribution. I don't care how much Reina was on and us "needing" to save his wages, he wasn't on a mammoth contract so I think we missed a massive trick there.

Two very able keepers pushing each other can only help us an I'm glad Klopp sees this. Glaringly obvious why he gave Mignolet a five year deal. Keeps his value for up to two years should Karius develop into what we want in time and also gave him a bit of a confidence boost at the time. Also means if Karius doesn't do what we expect we have a very able alternative.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #175 on: September 5, 2016, 12:42:05 pm »
Does he have a better penalty save ratio compared to normal shots on goal ratio. I reckon he might have you know.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #176 on: September 5, 2016, 12:43:07 pm »
Does he have a better penalty save ratio compared to normal shots on goal ratio. I reckon he might have you know.

It doesn't really tell us anything if he does or doesn't though.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #177 on: September 5, 2016, 01:04:58 pm »
It doesn't really tell us anything if he does or doesn't though.

Maybe it does maybe it doesn't

The answer

45% pens save which is a record

62.5% others

but it's quite close. Shows he's pretty good at saving penalties. Maybe bring him on in a shootout.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline pyroparty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #178 on: September 5, 2016, 01:19:36 pm »
Maybe it does maybe it doesn't

The answer

45% pens save which is a record

62.5% others

but it's quite close. Shows he's pretty good at saving penalties. Maybe bring him on in a shootout.

Strangely he seems pretty hopeless in shootouts (Beşiktaş, City and the Boro one that went on for years!! Saved a couple v Stoke) yet excellent in games. Odd.

Offline Ratboy3G

• Sworn enemy of Mousegirl5G
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #179 on: September 6, 2016, 11:03:09 pm »
Strangely he seems pretty hopeless in shootouts (Beşiktaş, City and the Boro one that went on for years!! Saved a couple v Stoke) yet excellent in games. Odd.

Only to someone who wishes to believe he is hopeless.
I am a man of few words.....any questions?

Offline HighSix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #180 on: September 6, 2016, 11:58:40 pm »
We just have a good penalty scout. He picks the correct side v.often if he saves it or not.

Think it was the City shoot out he got the correct side every single time but saved none.

Offline pyroparty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #181 on: September 7, 2016, 12:15:23 am »
Only to someone who wishes to believe he is hopeless.

Oh ok, I must have imagined Beşiktaş scoring all theirs and Boro scoring about 13 or whatever it was!

Offline Frizzo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: September 7, 2016, 03:56:19 am »
Oh ok, I must have imagined Beşiktaş scoring all theirs and Boro scoring about 13 or whatever it was!
No. But you're being a tit now.

Offline Frizzo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: September 7, 2016, 03:57:12 am »
We just have a good penalty scout. He picks the correct side v.often if he saves it or not.

Think it was the City shoot out he got the correct side every single time but saved none.
You guys are incredible.

Offline ZeusMetallica

• Kopite
« Reply #184 on: September 7, 2016, 09:34:54 am »
He's been better for us of late. I'm just never confident with his shot-stopping skills though. We'll see what happens once Karius is fit.

Offline pyroparty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #185 on: September 7, 2016, 09:59:01 am »
No. But you're being a tit now.

Saying he's excellent at saving them during games but not so good during shootouts is being a tit? Even though it's a fact? Righteo

Offline Chalky Boots

• Legacy Fan
  • Neurotic Fan Fiction
« Reply #186 on: September 7, 2016, 10:25:22 am »
He's improved in the sense that this season he's hardly been tested, his distribution looks a bit better and he's been better for some balls into the box but at the same time I still think there's a disconnect in communication whenever he's between the sticks. Also still cannot start a counter to save his life.

Think he's a good number 2 to have though, but I imagine it's just a case of counting down the minutes before Karius is between the sticks.

Offline Ratboy3G

• Sworn enemy of Mousegirl5G
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #187 on: September 7, 2016, 01:14:40 pm »

I must've imagined that some of our fans suffer from confirmation bias....or whatever it's called!
I am a man of few words.....any questions?

Offline pyroparty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #188 on: September 7, 2016, 01:19:00 pm »
I must've imagined that some of our fans suffer from confirmation bias....or whatever it's called!

I'm not sure how pointing out Beşiktaş scored 5 from 5 penalties and Boro scored 13 from 14 on target or whatever with 1 put wide is biased or whatever, it's just a fact. Just like he's good at saving some during games is a fact. What an agenda!! But great news we didnt infact go out to Beşiktaş afterall! Lovren will be relieved.

Offline goalrushatgoodison

• crapinbed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Still waiting for the great leap forward.
« Reply #189 on: September 7, 2016, 03:22:46 pm »

A penalty scout, whatever that is, for a shooutout situation where some of the guys you are up against may not even have taken a competitive penalty before? That's bizarre but hey ho - anything is possible nowadays I suppose.
Those whom the Gods would destroy, they first make mad.

Offline HighSix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #190 on: September 7, 2016, 04:04:14 pm »
A penalty scout, whatever that is, for a shooutout situation where some of the guys you are up against may not even have taken a competitive penalty before? That's bizarre but hey ho - anything is possible nowadays I suppose.

??? Its always been scouted & passed on to the keeper. In extreme examples even notes.

Offline lessthanmatt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: September 7, 2016, 04:09:54 pm »
He's atrocious. Him saving anything is rare. But Karius will be ready to play soon. Then I doubt we will see much more of Mignolet, except maybe in some cup games. That's that!
"I want to get off Mr. Rodgers Wild Ride"

Offline SnookerStick

• Main Stander
« Reply #192 on: September 7, 2016, 04:15:05 pm »
He's atrocious. Him saving anything is rare. But Karius will be ready to play soon. Then I doubt we will see much more of Mignolet, except maybe in some cup games. That's that!

Agree Mignolet has ben poor but not sure I share the enthusiasm in someone who is yet to make an appearance for us. Fingers crossed though.
"The socialism I believe in is everyone working for each other, everyone having a share of the rewards. It's the way I see football, the way I see life."

Offline ZeusMetallica

• Kopite
« Reply #193 on: September 7, 2016, 04:25:43 pm »
Pearce saying he will keep his place despite Karius being given medical green light. No surprises there, not the best of times to take unnecessary risks.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #194 on: September 7, 2016, 09:11:50 pm »
He's neither boss, nor shite. Its up to him whether he wants to go north or south of those two. Competition can only improve him tho.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Frizzo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: September 10, 2016, 02:32:35 pm »
He's neither boss, nor shite. Its up to him whether he wants to go north or south of those two. Competition can only improve him tho.
Spot on. Good start to the season for him. Hopefully it continues.

Offline Redinho

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #196 on: September 10, 2016, 07:27:47 pm »
Mignolet right now

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: September 10, 2016, 07:29:39 pm »
Haha poor Migs was getting battered. Great stop from him from Vardy at a key moment though. Pivotal moment in the game.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #198 on: September 10, 2016, 07:29:58 pm »
Got to commend him today. That save on Vardy in the second half was massive. He really went through the wars today. He really toughed it out, when he could have easily asked to be subbed.

Offline pyroparty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #199 on: September 10, 2016, 07:31:16 pm »
Good save. Shocking on crosses.