Author Topic: The 'Eeeek...buying/saving for a house' thread  (Read 247876 times)

Offline PeterJM

• The Queens Drive Dodger. Has a reckless appetite for meat
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: The 'Eeeek...buying/saving for a house' thread
« Reply #80 on: August 14, 2013, 08:56:37 am »
I never realised how stressful house buying is.I spotted a bargain last week for £100,000 and have put an offer £1000 above that because they'd had offers at the asking price.One estate agent wouldn't tell me how many offers they'd had or for how much but the agent in the offers department had a mouth like the Liverpool Echo.It makes me wonder whether they make the rules up as the go along.

So now it's just a waiting game.

Offline capt k

• aaaaaaaavemaaaaaaaaan!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • id rather be fishing
« Reply #81 on: August 17, 2013, 08:17:46 am »
I never realised how stressful house buying is.I spotted a bargain last week for £100,000 and have put an offer £1000 above that because they'd had offers at the asking price.One estate agent wouldn't tell me how many offers they'd had or for how much but the agent in the offers department had a mouth like the Liverpool Echo.It makes me wonder whether they make the rules up as the go along.

So now it's just a waiting game.

Good luck, hope you get it.
Agents are, by and large, lying ,conniving bastards..

Just  sold {awaiting cooling off period tho} my place. The drama's i had with my first agent where  blood boiling. Red mist descended on a few occasions dealing with them.Used a different agent and had it sold within 2 days, even before it was officially listed. But even then, the lying prick told the buyer we had an offer  that we did not have.{nothing wrong with that you may think, all part of sales, right??} well no its not right, its against the estate Agents code of conduct over here, they cannot at any time mis represent the facts to any party, {buyer or Seller}.. has me wondering if his advice to us was in our interests or in his,
JFT 96

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: August 17, 2013, 10:10:18 pm »
Pros and cons of both renting and buying of course.  I rented for years in London and other areas of the south east when I was young free & single and never even thought about buying.  Positives obviously you could just fuck off generally when you liked, within the confines of a short term tenancy.  You could even fuck that off if you could afford to lose the deposit.  I wouldn't really say there are negatives, but in this country there is a huge emphasis on property ownership so if you're of that view then it's funding somebody's mortgage I guess.

Since then I've got married & purchased a property just a year or so before the height of the boom in 2005 and then remortgaged twice.  First time I went with a broker.  Second time I got a better rate than my broker was offering so done it myself.  Third time was when interest rates hit the low (which they're still at) and went onto a very low rate with HSBC, which has no restrictions on overpaying & tracks the BOE rate.  So took advantage of that.

Then about a year ago another major change meant I had to relocate.  Just at the time when the market was prob at its lowest ebb.  Put the property on the market for a bit, few viewings, no offers.  So I have subsequently become a 'reluctant landlord' with the property rented out to tenants, and me also renting my gaff in my new location. 

Anyone else in the 'reluctant landlord' boat?  Maybe needs its own thread.  Never had any intentions of going down this route and it's all full of headaches at times.  Last tenants had a fight and fucked off without paying the rent etc.  Now got new ones in and to date every thing going smoothly.  So coming up to a year as a landlord.  Rent covers the mortgage which is the main thing.

Anyway now I've got an 'offer in principle' for a new mortgage for a new house purchase, which effectively means I'll be servicing two mortgages which is pretty scarey, for me anyway.  So always will be worrying about always having the other property rented out ok.

So what's the point in all that stuff on the thread?  Well that's the disadvantage of owning a property when the market hits a downturn and you have to move for whatever reason (work with me).  No flexibility.  On the plus side as long as there are tenants then the mortgage will eventually be paid off and in yrs to come it will seem like a big windfall when I sell, assuming I live long enough to enjoy it.

The important thing to remember is that you never really own any property.  A mortgage is merely a long term commitment to 'rent' whereby you're guaranteed to stay there without some landlord turfing you out as long as you meet repayments.  Yep your dependents may benefit after you pop your clogs but ultimately banks own properties.  Your mortgage is merely a long term rental agreement with banks.

I think the point a few have made about the culture hear re ownership being different to Europe is valid.  There is huge pressure here to buy, from family, peers, work colleagues, etc.  Whereas on the continent many rent all their lives.  But then much of the property is leased from govt on the continent, so you generally can rent for a lifetime if you like a particular property/area.  Here it's much different as most property is now in private ownership (after the right to buy and mass sell off of council properties), and your future in this respect is only guaranteed as long as your short term tenancy agreement lasts.

Offline PeterJM

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: August 19, 2013, 07:47:47 pm »
I offered £101k for a house that was up for £100k.Someone else put an offer of £103k in and we've now been told its going to best and final offers on Wednesday.Its like a lottery knowing what to offer to be certain of outbidding the other person.

Any words of advice would be much appreciated.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: August 19, 2013, 08:19:07 pm »
I offered £101k for a house that was up for £100k.Someone else put an offer of £103k in and we've now been told its going to best and final offers on Wednesday.Its like a lottery knowing what to offer to be certain of outbidding the other person.

Any words of advice would be much appreciated.

Dont break your budget.

Offline gray19lfc

• Would like a McFly hairstyle
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the end of a storm, there's a golden sky ★★★★★★
« Reply #85 on: August 20, 2013, 01:03:25 pm »
Had an offer accepted on a house but not sure what the next stage is.  Different websites say different things.  Our offer on the house has been accepted and before that we had a phone interview for the mortgage which confirmed we could borrow the amount needed.  A welcome pack was sent out to us from the mortgage company and we've sent back copies of our payslips, passports etc.  We've also paid the mortgage arrangement fee.

I've had a quote for the conveyancing but do we have to wait for a letter from the mortgage provider to confirm our mortgage is agreed in principle before the solicitors can do anything?

Do we have to inform the estate agents what's going on at any point, as I'm a bit worried there's been no conversation between us and the agents (since they told us our offer was accepted), as we try and move forward with the mortgage company/solicitors.  Is that the norm?

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: August 20, 2013, 01:52:21 pm »
I think you do need the certificate to prove you have a mortgage in principle before you can move forward.

With ours, we saw a mortgage advisor and he handled everything at this stage and we had our certificate before we made any offers, but I think the next thing after the offer was made/accepted was we had to get a survey done of the house. Once that's complete and the mortgage company is happy, anything that may need attention is looked at etc the solicitor got involved.

Offline gray19lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: August 20, 2013, 02:06:15 pm »
I think you do need the certificate to prove you have a mortgage in principle before you can move forward.

With ours, we saw a mortgage advisor and he handled everything at this stage and we had our certificate before we made any offers, but I think the next thing after the offer was made/accepted was we had to get a survey done of the house. Once that's complete and the mortgage company is happy, anything that may need attention is looked at etc the solicitor got involved.

Our survey is being done by the mortgage provider, so I'm guessing we should just wait until they write with the mortgage offer and see if they provide details of the survey after that.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: August 20, 2013, 03:17:24 pm »
Yeah, looks like it. Our solicitor did want to see the survey but I don't remember anything other than an introduction/quote being done with them until the survey was complete and all fine.

Wouldn't worry about the estate agent, if they know you're getting a survey done and waiting on paperwork they won't be worried.

Offline PeterJM

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: August 21, 2013, 09:30:12 pm »
I've had my offer accepted so the big move is on.

Offline El Phes

• Answers to Judith, but only on Thurdays.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Portraits / Weddings / Commercial / Events
« Reply #90 on: August 22, 2013, 09:13:13 am »
Well done, now the fun starts! Was it for 101K, 103K or different? What type of house is that for by the way and where? Thanks

Offline PeterJM

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: August 22, 2013, 02:10:06 pm »
Well done, now the fun starts! Was it for 101K, 103K or different? What type of house is that for by the way and where? Thanks
It was for £105,600 and its a terraced house in clubmoor,Liverpool.

Offline smicer07

• Negative, miserable sod!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: August 22, 2013, 02:14:01 pm »
Just had an offer accepted for 205k on a house in Chester, now the waiting and poverty begin!

Offline El Phes

• Answers to Judith, but only on Thurdays.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Portraits / Weddings / Commercial / Events
« Reply #93 on: August 22, 2013, 02:17:27 pm »
Just had an offer accepted for 205k on a house in Chester, now the waiting and poverty begin!

Well done mate! You'll be surprised you'll find spare money as time goes on...

It was for £105,600 and its a terraced house in clubmoor,Liverpool.

Nice one mate. Fingers crossed it all goes through for you

Offline smicer07

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: August 22, 2013, 02:21:36 pm »

Cheers :)

Offline PeterJM

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: August 22, 2013, 02:33:54 pm »

Nice one mate. Fingers crossed it all goes through for you
I only found out at 1.30 yesterday afternoon and by 4.30 I was £700 poorer after paying for the mortgage fee and survey.I've between now and contracts being exchanged to find £4600.Its going to be a few months hard graft.

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #96 on: August 22, 2013, 02:40:46 pm »
I've had my offer accepted so the big move is on.

Congrats mate. Im glad things are moving forward and I havnt seen you in the 'other' thread for a long time

Offline PeterJM

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: August 22, 2013, 03:07:05 pm »
Congrats mate. Im glad things are moving forward and I havnt seen you in the 'other' thread for a long time
Andy,I sunk myself into work and blocked all the negative stuff out.Its only after matches that I drink now and feel a whole lot better for it.Life is still a struggle but I can think a lot clearer now.

Offline Giz a Gobble

• Scouse Turkey that's hard to swallow.....
  • Main Stander
  • JUSTICE FOR THE 97.
« Reply #98 on: August 23, 2013, 10:58:22 am »
Well done chaps to those who are getting a bit nearer!

Out of interest, where do things stand with mortgage applications and overdrafts? Me and my partner both dip into ours every month, not to massive extremes, a couple of hundred in her case and about £700 for me - will that affect the application or will the fact we live within our means be okay?

We're discussing whether to dip into the savings so far to clear the overdraft or just keep it as it is and keep paying the overdraft off monthly along with the deposit saving amount. The interest we both pay on our two accounts for being into the OD is minimal anyway so it's hardly breaking us going into it.

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: August 23, 2013, 04:00:39 pm »
Out of interest, where do things stand with mortgage applications and overdrafts?

I got a mortgage with Natwest for 3x joint salary with my fiancee in January and we were both around £1,000 into our graduate (0%) overdrafts. We both have really good credit ratings though, no missed payments, etc. If you have a decent deposit (15% to 25%), no missed payments and aren't right on the edge of what they'd normally be willing to lend then I'd be confident you could get a mortgage at a decent interest rate.
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline Kez

• hallowed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: August 24, 2013, 01:26:15 pm »

£205k in Chester? Not likely you're buying in Newton or Blacon then ;)

Offline Kez

• hallowed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: August 24, 2013, 01:55:59 pm »

£205k in Chester? Not likely you're buying in Newton or Blacon then ;)

I got curious and checked Right Move...oh my God when did prices in Chester get to the point that houses in areas like Newton and Blacon were £200k plus?! 'Kinell...that's a surprise. It's making my house hunting around here look quite exceptionally cheap!

Offline Paulie's Wallnuts

• There's an old Italian saying: you fuck up once, you lose two teeth
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blow Me Fuckface
« Reply #102 on: September 12, 2013, 12:49:43 pm »
Im saving for a house at the moment. Looking for either a 5% or 10% deposit.

Even with the higher rates of interest i'd only be paying £5 per month more than i currently pay on rent.

My rent is only £495 and the average for my area is now over £650 so no wonder alot of people cant save enough to get a good deposit and get on the ladder!
'If you are first you are first. If you are second you are nothing.'

Offline gray19lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: September 12, 2013, 05:34:11 pm »
Quick question - How far off agreeing a moving-in date are we after the searches are completed by the conveyancing solicitors?

Solicitors have asked us today if they can proceed with searches.  We are still awaiting the survey to be carried out by the lender.

Is an exchange date the next part of the process after the searches are complete?

If we hand our notice in before the 28th of the month, we can move out of our rented apartment within 2 months.  What's the chances we will get an exchange date within the next 2 weeks?  Ideally, we want to spend Xmas in the new house!

Thanks

Offline Spongebob Redpants

• Is a spingly spangly
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: September 12, 2013, 08:31:38 pm »
Quick question - How far off agreeing a moving-in date are we after the searches are completed by the conveyancing solicitors?

Solicitors have asked us today if they can proceed with searches.  We are still awaiting the survey to be carried out by the lender.

Is an exchange date the next part of the process after the searches are complete?

If we hand our notice in before the 28th of the month, we can move out of our rented apartment within 2 months.  What's the chances we will get an exchange date within the next 2 weeks?  Ideally, we want to spend Xmas in the new house!

Thanks

Depends on all sorts of variables . Can the vendors move out anytime , will the survey affect the mortgage offer / your offer  , how far along are the respective solicitors etc .

In theory , if there are no snags in a straightforward purchase , could possibly be wrapped up in 6 to 8 weeks easy .

I'd like to know what the survey said personally before getting too advanced with the solicitors side .

All the questions you ask should be answered by your solicitors - you're paying them good money so ask away . Also , the Estate Agents want the sale to go through as soon as possible , so they'll be more than pleased to offer from their side .
Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you do criticise him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

Offline Spongebob Redpants

• Is a spingly spangly
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: September 12, 2013, 08:34:03 pm »

As a matter of interest , for anyone who's recently purchased , did you offer the asking price or make the initial offer lower .

What kind of percentage did you get off the price based on the original sale price , if any ?
Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you do criticise him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: September 12, 2013, 09:13:34 pm »
As a matter of interest , for anyone who's recently purchased , did you offer the asking price or make the initial offer lower .

What kind of percentage did you get off the price based on the original sale price , if any ?

If your looking to find some sort of average then I would say don't bother.

Depends, when I bought a place I got 10k off the asking price, but I put in an offer and made it clear I had other options. That was a year and a half ago though. Things are better now so probably be difficult to get such a percentage off the price.

Basically got a 8% reduction.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 09:15:55 pm by killer_heels »

Offline gray19lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: September 12, 2013, 09:13:40 pm »

We found out what the seller paid for the property themselves and that was our initial offer.  Our second offer that was accepted, was halfway between that and the asking price.

Offline Giz a Gobble

• Scouse Turkey that's hard to swallow.....
  • Main Stander
  • JUSTICE FOR THE 97.
« Reply #108 on: September 13, 2013, 11:19:08 am »
I think there's a general acceptance to put an opening bid in around 10% under isn't there from what I've read?

I guess that could differ depending on how quickly you want the negotiating etc to end though.

At our end, we've stalled a little bit as we're now debating whether to clear our overdrafts off with the savings again to be more 'attractive' to apply for mortgages next year possibly? We tend to go into them every month and although they're being reduced, it's quite slowly. We're both roughly 1k into our OD's just before payday at present which is a bit less than last month and so on and so on.

Thinking is they're gone and cleared and then everything else can be ploughed into the savings from that point on. We've calculated roughly then about £750-£800 a month between us rather than the £500 we're currently putting away.

Interest on overdrafts is more than on an ISA I guess....

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: September 13, 2013, 12:30:55 pm »

First offer was about 15% lower than the asking price and we eventually got it for 9% lower than the asking price.

Offline ginnza

• Main Stander
« Reply #110 on: September 13, 2013, 01:01:06 pm »

I got 10 percent off the asking price
It really depends on how desperate the vendor is to sell

Offline NewHampshire_Exile

• Ambassador
  • Legacy Fan
    • www.YNWA.TV
« Reply #111 on: September 15, 2013, 03:16:32 am »
Monday I go to the estate agents and sign the final documents. then get the keys and the house is ours... got a bit of work to do on it mind...

Offline smicer07

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: September 15, 2013, 11:55:08 am »
Ha ha no we're going to be just off parkgate road, walking distance to town, shops, gym, work etc. Survey has come back fine and mortgage agreed so waiting on solicitor now!

Offline gray19lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: October 13, 2013, 07:40:54 pm »
Just had our contract sent through by our solicitors.  They have put the wrong purchase price, so I need to call and get them to change that in the morning!

However, they have said we need to get buildings insurance before exchange.  As we haven't got a completion date yet, what do we put as the start date of the insurance policy?  Do we have to start paying for the insurance from the start date we put or would no payments been taken out until we moved in to the house?

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: October 13, 2013, 09:07:54 pm »
Just had our contract sent through by our solicitors.  They have put the wrong purchase price, so I need to call and get them to change that in the morning!

However, they have said we need to get buildings insurance before exchange.  As we haven't got a completion date yet, what do we put as the start date of the insurance policy?  Do we have to start paying for the insurance from the start date we put or would no payments been taken out until we moved in to the house?

You have to put a start date so that the mortgage can be completed. Yes you do pay out but you have 14 days to cancel.

Offline Ben S

• Remember we were partners in crime. Pigeon Fancier. GTL Bus Freak. Also known as Bambi, apparently - or Miss Kitty on Wednesdays....
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 5 - 1 London
« Reply #115 on: October 16, 2013, 10:58:16 am »
Looks like I'm going to become a Widnes wool...

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: November 25, 2013, 04:23:03 pm »
Bit of a long winded one, but I'll shorten it. How long does it take for receivers to take over ownership of a house and put it up for sale?

Our landlord went bankrupt 2 years ago. The receivers have only today informed us that they now have the deeds to take it off the landlord. As far as I remember, the other residents of his houses in our street got first refusal on the house. We don't want to move so the only option we have at the minute is to buy it, but we have no money whatsoever and no clue about how to go about it.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: November 26, 2013, 10:41:06 am »
Are there any mortgages out there with less than 5% deposit? Going by the sale price of the other houses, I'd imagine we are looking in and around 80k. We don't have 4k deposit, and won't for a long time.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: November 26, 2013, 04:22:40 pm »
Cheers Claire. Problem is, both our credit ratings are shit. While I've spent the last 2 years trying to sort mine out, she spends like the world is going to end tomorrow. I'd imagine the chances of the bank giving us a loan of that much are pretty fucking slim. I've actually got an appointment with the bank tomorrow that was arranged a couple of weeks ago before we found out about this crap so I'll use that to ask a few questions.

Offline paddysour

• likes balls
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: November 26, 2013, 09:48:52 pm »
I'm in a similar situation myself, my credit rating is shite mainly because I don't actually have one. I finished uni last year, got a job and moved out this year. It's annoying that I would never be considered for a mortgage; I priced a house down the street from me and the mortgage over 20 years would work out cheaper than the rent I'm paying atm!