Author Topic: The GAA Thread  (Read 633741 times)

Offline goalrushatgoodison

• crapinbed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Still waiting for the great leap forward.
Re: The GAA Thread
« Reply #8880 on: February 14, 2017, 10:46:53 pm »
Have to admit I think Connolly is Overated too. He's not the most Overated player ever, he's a bloody good footballer, but he's not in the very top echelon either, imo. I also believe that peak Alan was better than peak Bernard, by a fair bit too, to be honest.

Jacko was fab, and so was Mullins before the car crash. Different players really, Mullins was an out and out midfielder while Jacko could have played anywhere. It's hard to compare them to players of the modern era though purely because of the difference in fitness levels, speed of the game etc. For instance many who have seen Sean Cavanagh, this past 15 years, would take some convincing that there was ever a better player.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 10:18:53 am by goalrushatgoodison »
Those whom the Gods would destroy, they first make mad.

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #8881 on: February 26, 2017, 03:28:41 pm »
Dubs on TG4 V Donegal Live.

Cuala looked very impressive yesterday.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #8882 on: March 4, 2017, 09:26:50 pm »
Mad statement ;D

No one in Kerry would agree. Jacko generally considered the greatest Kerry footballer along with Mick O'Connell

I never said he was the outright best Kerry player of all time. I just said that on his day, he could do a job on anyone. Mullins and O'Shea included

why no Jimmy in your team?

Because he's prone to brain farting

Mmmm remind me who buried that penalty  last October to clinch two in a row

Gee, I don't know. I'll take a stab in the dark and say Connolly?

Do I win a prize for answering a question that proves fuck all?
When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.

Offline Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #8883 on: March 4, 2017, 09:27:36 pm »
Anyhoo ;D

What do you all make of this quarter final round robin malarkey ?
When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.

Offline didi

• A complete Klopp out
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8884 on: March 4, 2017, 09:31:39 pm »
I never said he was the outright best Kerry player of all time. I just said that on his day, he could do a job on anyone. Mullins and O'Shea included

Because he's prone to brain farting

Gee, I don't know. I'll take a stab in the dark and say Connolly?

Do I win a prize for answering a question that proves fuck all?

It proves he doesn't  go missing so sorry no prize for stupidity

Offline Billy The Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #8885 on: March 5, 2017, 10:36:07 am »
It proves he doesn't  go missing so sorry no prize for stupidity

How does being a designated penalty taker prove that he doesn't go missing?

Surely you're not so soft between the ears as to build your argument around his penalty taking?

Offline didi

• A complete Klopp out
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8886 on: March 5, 2017, 12:00:21 pm »
How does being a designated penalty taker prove that he doesn't go missing?

Surely you're not so soft between the ears as to build your argument around his penalty taking?

OK what about the previous game an All Ireland semi final v Kerry heading into injury time and he kicks a sublime point on his weaker foot to settle the game
Get over your childish criticism the lad has four allIreland's and a club championship medal and you like most of people outside the capital can't give him the credit he deserves, people in the capital rate him as one if not the most talented players the county has produced, not bad considering

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #8887 on: March 5, 2017, 12:27:56 pm »
So, so insecure. Can't take even the slightest criticism of Dublin or a Dublin player

Offline didi

• A complete Klopp out
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8888 on: March 5, 2017, 12:31:28 pm »
So, so insecure. Can't take even the slightest criticism of Dublin or a Dublin player

Touche

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #8889 on: March 5, 2017, 12:55:17 pm »
You said Darragh would stick Jacko in his arse pocket. Which would get you laughed back over the county bounds to Cork. Both players are equally as legendary, Jacko probably has the edge in most peoples eyes because he was a better all rounder and physically a colossus.

Darragh could have looked after himself better towards the end, far too fond of 'blowing out the dirty petrol', where as his two brothers got the best out of their bodies right until the end. Darragh's greatest attribute was his ability to get the head up straight away and pick the right pass, nearly always looking to the boot as well, helping him dictate the majority of most games he played.

They are two greats and to say one could put another in their arse pocket shouldn't really dignify a response. And I just realised that now.

Offline Billy The Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #8890 on: March 5, 2017, 02:33:14 pm »
You said Darragh would stick Jacko in his arse pocket.

I said on his day he could. As in when he was on top form. He would be capable of it

I never flat out said Darragh O'Se was a better player than Jacko or Mullins. That's something else entirely

They are two greats and to say one could put another in their arse pocket shouldn't really dignify a response. And I just realised that now.

Stop taking yourself so seriously. It's nauseating

Offline my usenme changed?

• Self-appointed moderator for comic topics
  • Kopite
  • RAWK Librarian
« Reply #8891 on: March 5, 2017, 08:38:51 pm »
One out of two All Irelands completed for Slaughtneil today - A great win by the camogs in HQ! Defying all the odds at the min, hopefully the footballers can do the same on the 17th!! Up the Robbies!!  ;D
Mid-Ulster Kopite  ---  BELIEVER

77 * 78 * 81 * 84 * 05 * 19
Follow me on Twitter for stuff about LFC and, er, Libraries. www.twitter.com/@cahalboyd

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #8892 on: March 11, 2017, 08:26:25 pm »
What a game this is, Tipp v Kilkenny live on eir 2
Y.N.W.A.

Online KiNki

• Smicer devotee supreme, Sammy Lee impersonator extraordinaire.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • i am an_nik_ki.
    • http://hfdinfo.com/digital
« Reply #8893 on: March 11, 2017, 08:32:40 pm »
What a game this is, Tipp v Kilkenny live on eir 2

what's the score, Tipp were ahead, such biased refereeing again towards Kilkenny.

Offline didi

• A complete Klopp out
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8894 on: March 19, 2017, 11:17:22 am »
34 and not out remarkable achievement in the modern era and a chance next week to break the record, finest Dublin side of all time and one off GAA greatest

Offline Billy The Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #8895 on: March 19, 2017, 01:07:53 pm »
finest Dublin side of all time and one off GAA greatest

Steady on. You've only won 4 All Irelands

In 3 of those finals you only won by a single point

In the other you only won by 3 points

Hardly all conquering now, is it?

Offline didi

• A complete Klopp out
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8896 on: March 19, 2017, 02:58:42 pm »

Steady on. You've only won 4 All Irelands

In 3 of those finals you only won by a single point

In the other you only won by 3 points

Hardly all conquering now, is it?

Oh ffs your actually using the scoreline in a final to knock our achievements  :lmao
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 03:00:56 pm by didi »

Offline didi

• A complete Klopp out
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8897 on: March 26, 2017, 12:07:20 pm »
Broke the record in style

Offline Billy The Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #8898 on: March 26, 2017, 12:27:11 pm »
What record?

Offline KERRYKOP

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #8899 on: March 26, 2017, 08:46:11 pm »
Kerry 37

Dublin 26

The only record that matters

Offline didi

• A complete Klopp out
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8900 on: March 27, 2017, 12:11:13 am »
Kerry 37

Dublin 26

tis very true

Offline legendkiller

• Legacy Fan
  • Never get out of bed before noon
« Reply #8901 on: March 27, 2017, 01:45:21 am »
tis very true
Did u come to Kerry last weekend .
" I asked for a sofa and they bought me a lamp ".

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #8902 on: March 27, 2017, 09:33:04 am »
Kerry 37

Dublin 26

38 if you include Aidan O'Mahony's Dancing with the Stars triumph.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Billy The Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #8903 on: March 28, 2017, 10:14:06 pm »
38 if you include Aidan O'Mahony's Dancing with the Stars triumph.

Say what?

I don't really watch TV, let alone dancing with the stars

Please tell me he didn't go on it. Please?

Online Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #8904 on: March 28, 2017, 10:49:22 pm »
He'd already done diving, like.

Online Ray K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #8905 on: April 4, 2017, 09:29:42 am »
Well this is shit news.  Can we get him to change his mind before, say, July?

Colm Cooper calls time on his illustrious inter-county career

Colm Cooper, one of the greatest Kerry players ever to grace the game of Gaelic Football, has decided to call time on his illustrious inter-county career.  The Dr Crokes player, who will turn 34 in June, does so just two weeks after winning the one medal that had eluded him for many years – an All Ireland Club Championship medal.

Cooper first came to the attention of the Kerry GAA public when winning a Senior Co. Championship medal in 2000 at the tender age of 17 in the company of his brothers Danny and Vince when Dr Crokes defeated An Ghaeltacht.

A year and a half later he made his senior debut for Kerry in the Allianz League Division 2 Final against Laois in the Gaelic Grounds and duly helped himself to 1-2 in the No. 15 jersey.

Later that year he made his Championship debut against Limerick and although he and his Kerry team-mates had to give best to Armagh in the All Ireland Final of that year, he was recognised by the All Star selectors in his very first year at senior level. He went on to play in 9 All Ireland Finals, winning 4, and was unlucky to be still recovering from a serious injury when Kerry defeated Donegal in the 2014 final.

In all he played 85 Championship games for Kerry scoring 23-283 in the process and along the way he won every honour available to him including Texaco Footballer of the Year in 2004 and 8 All Stars.

Cooper, an exemplary sportsman, endeared himself not only to the Kerry faithful but also to the wider GAA community where he was the perfect role model for our youth. He exuded class in everything he did on the field of play and we were once again reminded of that on St Patrick’s day when he scored the all important goal as Dr Crokes triumphed in the Club Championship final – 25 years after their first title when a youthful Colm Cooper was the team mascot.

Colm Cooper leaves a treasure throve of memories behind him for us all to savour and on behalf of Kerry supporters everywhere and indeed on behalf of the extended GAA community, today we say thanks for those memories Colm.

Offline KERRYKOP

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #8906 on: April 4, 2017, 01:31:24 pm »
Would be nice for him to say his goodbyes before the League Final on Sunday. The whole of Croke Park and The Hill rising in admiration for the man

Online deano2727

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8907 on: April 4, 2017, 01:36:00 pm »
Probably the greatest player i've watched in my ~10 years or so of watching GAA. A true legend. As much as I wanted Slaughtneil to win the AI club championship, I cant begrudge Gooch winning it. It would be akin to Gerrard not winning the PL.

Haven't been posting here much due to being away backpacking over the winter. I have to say, I'm deeply impressed with what I did get to see of Donegal in the league. I knew we had the talent to start challenging again in a couple of years, but an Ulster Championship doesn't seem unlikely this summer, with a couple of outings at Croke Park more than possible too.  I know its only the league, but its promising nonetheless. The only teams I see as clearly better than us, is Kerry and Dublin, but nothing has really changed there. Impressive when you consider the players we have lost. Some of the players introduced this year have done exceptionally well, and may well play big parts this summer.

We are in an U21 Ulster final on Monday against Tyrone too.

Online Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #8908 on: April 4, 2017, 01:59:21 pm »
He went on to play in 9 All Ireland Finals, winning 4,

Not a great return, like.

Online deano2727

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8909 on: April 4, 2017, 02:05:19 pm »
Not a great return, like.

;D

Bloody hell. 9 AI finals in a players career. All ye Kerry hoors are spoilt.

Offline Billy The Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #8910 on: April 9, 2017, 02:34:23 pm »
Hopefully Kerry will show Dublin up for the frauds that they are today

Referee's have been letting them get away with murder recently

Offline KERRYKOP

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #8911 on: April 9, 2017, 04:50:05 pm »
Connolly letting his team down again I see

Online Ray K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #8912 on: April 9, 2017, 05:08:29 pm »
Good game this.

Offline Billy The Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #8913 on: April 9, 2017, 06:51:15 pm »
I only caught the 2nd half. I heard Gooch's name being mentioned during the acceptance speech

Was he not at the game?

Was anything done to mark his retirement?

Offline KERRYKOP

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #8914 on: April 9, 2017, 09:53:59 pm »
No sign of The Dubs and their blathering of course

If I was a Dub I'd be counting titles in April but there is only one prize that matters

Offline Billy The Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #8915 on: April 9, 2017, 11:12:55 pm »

If I was a Dub I'd be counting titles in April but there is only one prize that matters

I think they might twig it if we both act the bollox with the shameless goading ;D

Did you go to it? Farted your way to your seat 10 minutes after kick off, you did?

League final shtyleee?

Offline legendkiller

• Legacy Fan
  • Never get out of bed before noon
« Reply #8916 on: April 10, 2017, 01:42:18 am »
Came in here for a good read and the usual slagging but alas nothing ...maybe they all watching the masters
" I asked for a sofa and they bought me a lamp ".

Offline goalrushatgoodison

• crapinbed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Still waiting for the great leap forward.
« Reply #8917 on: April 10, 2017, 07:26:04 am »

If I was a Dub
I'd be counting titles in April but there is only one prize that matters

We are still here KK, nursing our wounds and in my case a hangover!

I have bolded the bit where you muse about being a Dub, to remind my fellow metropolitans in the thread that things are never so bad that they couldn't be worse 😉

Those whom the Gods would destroy, they first make mad.

Online Ray K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #8918 on: April 10, 2017, 01:45:48 pm »
By the way, can RTE kindly fuck Joe Brolly off for once and for all? Know-nothing gobshite.

Offline Billy The Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #8919 on: April 10, 2017, 03:07:11 pm »
By the way, can RTE kindly fuck Joe Brolly off for once and for all? Know-nothing gobshite.

He's quite an obnoxious little prick, isn't he?

And I know a thing or two about obnoxious prickery