Author Topic: The Walking Dead  (Read 386073 times)

Offline JLStretton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Walking Dead
« Reply #4360 on: March 16, 2017, 06:19:13 am »
I'm in awe of how much pointless filler they've managed to get into a 16 episode season.

The last line of that episode just summed this show up.

"We have to fight"
"Yes, but not today"
*does some gardening*

:lmao
choose Life.

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #4361 on: March 16, 2017, 12:07:18 pm »
I think what's really summing this series up in general these days is the fact that a bunch of battle hardened men, who have done and seen some terrible shit, all have to meet up in some desolate car park in the arsehole of nowhere, to trade a handful of melons which have been loaded into a back of a truck. Think about that for a second. Melons. Yeah.

Melon farming being the perfect metaphor for a show that is not allowed to say "fuck"?
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline Xxavi

• Qatari Minister Of Information
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4362 on: March 16, 2017, 03:44:25 pm »
I think what's really summing this series up in general these days is the fact that a bunch of battle hardened men, who have done and seen some terrible shit, all have to meet up in some desolate car park in the arsehole of nowhere, to trade a handful of melons which have been loaded into a back of a truck. Think about that for a second. Melons. Yeah.
That was frustrating me senseless. Is it even worth the time and gas for 10 melons? Seriously, if those 10-20 people saved their 2-3 hours (and gas), and worked in the garden instead, they'd get 50 more melons in no time. I mean weekly melon exchanges... come on, just make that truck full of stuff at least. The show has gotten absolutely ridiculous at this point.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #4363 on: March 16, 2017, 03:47:37 pm »
Well, I mean the point was that it's all about control, hence the small offering and the over reaction to one missing melon.

Offline Xxavi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4364 on: March 16, 2017, 03:55:47 pm »
Well, I mean the point was that it's all about control, hence the small offering and the over reaction to one missing melon.
Forget about 1 melon, I am not sure if 10 melons are worth traveling that far, and wasting half the day and petrol for it.

It made sense several episodes back when they brought a truck full of meat (pig), fruits, vegetables. 10 melons? Come on, this must be a joke. 1 melon? The show writers need to rewatch that episode 10 times.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #4365 on: March 16, 2017, 04:01:27 pm »
Again that's about control, and showing that control. It's a trivial thing, about as trivial as you can get. But The Kingdomers have no choice in the matter.

Offline Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #4366 on: March 16, 2017, 04:06:08 pm »
Again that's about control, and showing that control. It's a trivial thing, about as trivial as you can get. But The Kingdomers have no choice in the matter.

That was my take too
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline Xxavi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4367 on: March 16, 2017, 04:06:14 pm »
Yeah, but I am not criticizing the actors or the characters. I am criticizing the writers. That control thing can be demonstrated and shown more logically. It's like the writers have brain farts and look for an easy way out at times. Like they must deliver 10 melons, or else, they are punished. OK. One melon is missing, so somebody has to die, even if both parties hate that part. OK. One frustrated member of community is grieving the loss of his comrade, he walks empty streets crying. He is so frustrated that he goes and starts kicking empty boxes on the street. And surprisingly, the missing melon is under one of those boxes. The yellow one, to be precise. He immediately connects the dots and decides to avenge.

Look, that's a lot of BS alright. Control or no control.

Offline cloggypop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4368 on: March 16, 2017, 04:37:54 pm »
Maybe it's budgetary cutbacks and they could only afford 10 melons due to the big explosions they are going to have in the last episode.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4369 on: March 16, 2017, 04:50:26 pm »
Yeah, but I am not criticizing the actors or the characters. I am criticizing the writers. That control thing can be demonstrated and shown more logically. It's like the writers have brain farts and look for an easy way out at times. Like they must deliver 10 melons, or else, they are punished. OK. One melon is missing, so somebody has to die, even if both parties hate that part. OK. One frustrated member of community is grieving the loss of his comrade, he walks empty streets crying. He is so frustrated that he goes and starts kicking empty boxes on the street. And surprisingly, the missing melon is under one of those boxes. The yellow one, to be precise. He immediately connects the dots and decides to avenge.

Never thought i'd say this but the amount of melons is actually irrelevant. They need to provide to Negan's group what is agreed however small that number is, the fact they didn't means they get punished. I don't see what is annoying about that. Benjamin wasn't meant to be killed.

The Morgan kicking the box thing i agree with. I do feel as if some want constant action when that isn't a reality in this world.

Offline Xxavi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4370 on: March 16, 2017, 04:52:58 pm »
Never thought i'd say this but the amount of melons is actually irrelevant. They need to provide to Negan's group what is agreed however small that number is, the fact they didn't means they get punished. I don't see what is annoying about that. Benjamin wasn't meant to be killed.

The Morgan kicking the box thing i agree with. I do feel as if some want constant action when that isn't a reality in this world.
Some of the episodes I enjoyed most in the Game of Thrones, for example, had very little action in it. Fantastic writing helps.

Unfortunately, with TWD, it's either action or some boring, boring dialogues. Like the one quoted above ;D

"We have to fight"
"Yes, but not today"
*does some gardening*

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
« Reply #4371 on: March 16, 2017, 11:33:30 pm »
Maybe it's budgetary cutbacks and they could only afford 10 melons due to the big explosions they are going to have in the last episode.
“If Everton were playing down the bottom of my garden, I'd draw the curtains.” - Bill Shankly 1913 - 1981

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4372 on: March 17, 2017, 09:21:54 pm »

The crux of the problem I see as far as the writing is concerned is this. The writers need to remind themselves that they are writing for an audience that needs to be kept captivated by events. There's other ways to do that than invent contrivances like Rick and Michonne going to a funfare, falling through roofs for shits and giggles, and having Rick, for some ridiculous reason, climb a ferris wheel, then fall off that like some slapstick comedy show because he spotting the same cartoon deer from earlier. It's the invention of silly scenarios that make no logical sense in order to forward the plot, or put the characters in some kind of danger, because lets be honest, the zombies now in this show might as well be toothless now, given how utterly redundant they've been made.

A better way of showing how much power the Saviors have would be showing the effects their actions have on people outside of the usual characters. The Kingdom seems to be an all too jolly utopia for me, where kids play and go to school, and you can do a spot of gardening in the evening. People should be hungry due to the lack of provisions. There should be a genuine emphasis to show the fear and effects that the tyranny and control that the Saviors are having on the people they are supposedly controlling. Instead the Saviors and Negan seem more intent on controlling their own by having public displays of face burning, and having trophy wives. And they love their melons.

What about exploding melons?

Offline Xxavi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4373 on: March 18, 2017, 12:58:17 am »
The crux of the problem I see as far as the writing is concerned is this. The writers need to remind themselves that they are writing for an audience that needs to be kept captivated by events. There's other ways to do that than invent contrivances like Rick and Michonne going to a funfare, falling through roofs for shits and giggles, and having Rick, for some ridiculous reason, climb a ferris wheel, then fall off that like some slapstick comedy show because he spotting the same cartoon deer from earlier. It's the invention of silly scenarios that make no logical sense in order to forward the plot, or put the characters in some kind of danger, because lets be honest, the zombies now in this show might as well be toothless now, given how utterly redundant they've been made.

A better way of showing how much power the Saviors have would be showing the effects their actions have on people outside of the usual characters. The Kingdom seems to be an all too jolly utopia for me, where kids play and go to school, and you can do a spot of gardening in the evening. People should be hungry due to the lack of provisions. There should be a genuine emphasis to show the fear and effects that the tyranny and control that the Saviors are having on the people they are supposedly controlling. Instead the Saviors and Negan seem more intent on controlling their own by having public displays of face burning, and having trophy wives. And they love their melons.

What about exploding melons?
On trophy wives, actually I thought that one way to show control and to punish those who don't obey, to make slaves out of the rebels, trophy wives, too. In other words, instead of this ridiculous "bring a melon tomorrow", we will take 2 of your people as slaves makes more sense to me. You'd think they need manpower to create a slave community of their own. One could argue that they are already slaves, fine, make trophy wives, then. Anything is better than the punishment of "bring a melon tomorrow". Those guys were ready to bring 20 melons (their King said right before they shot the boy).

This show wouldn't have survived on the basis of the past 1-2 seasons. The only reason it is still going is that it build a solid reputation at the beginning.

Offline Xxavi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4374 on: March 18, 2017, 01:04:45 am »
Another clear evidence of the utter lack of imagination of the writers is the fact that there have been shows with a lot better dialogue and logic that happened in a prison (Oz, HBO), a small town (Twin Peaks, Deadwood etc.) or a theme park (Westworld). TWD writers have the whole world at their disposal, other continents, cities, towns, people, political angles, interpersonal angles, hunger, jealousy, envy, reproduction etc. to explore. Then, there is this whole science angle, why it did happen, what is the cure etc. This season, none of that has been explored. It's moving at a very slow pace.

To compare, a show like Oz had 5-10 interesting characters and storylines inside 5 rooms. It was all about writing.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #4375 on: March 18, 2017, 03:07:15 am »
Another clear evidence of the utter lack of imagination of the writers is the fact that there have been shows with a lot better dialogue and logic that happened in a prison (Oz, HBO), a small town (Twin Peaks, Deadwood etc.) or a theme park (Westworld). TWD writers have the whole world at their disposal, other continents, cities, towns, people, political angles, interpersonal angles, hunger, jealousy, envy, reproduction etc. to explore. Then, there is this whole science angle, why it did happen, what is the cure etc. This season, none of that has been explored. It's moving at a very slow pace.

To compare, a show like Oz had 5-10 interesting characters and storylines inside 5 rooms. It was all about writing.

Resist the midichlorians.

Offline Giovanni

• C'mon Chelsea!!! Stood on the Spyin Kop, the tricky bitch. Look out!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4376 on: March 20, 2017, 02:04:05 pm »
Spoiler
fuck eugene la, hope someone kills the c*nt soon
[close]
cyas

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4377 on: March 20, 2017, 02:41:32 pm »
Spoiler
Total series filler of an episode - one of many. Nothing major of note happened, and just slowly drags up to the inevitable is he or isn't he dead moment which they will end of the series on.
[close]

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4378 on: March 20, 2017, 07:58:19 pm »
Yeah this is getting old now.

Spoiler
What do Sasha and Rosita hope to accomplish by taking out Negan? If they were to get caught or even seen then my guess is the next guy in charge would wipe out Alexandria and maybe some of the Hilltop group too. They're supposed to be these smart, strong women but they're acting like a pair of morons.

Gregory being a dick to Jesus is getting annoying too, we get that he's a selfish piece of shit who needs replacing, we don't need more and more evidence.

The one location stuff just crawls everything to a snails pace, which would almost be okay if interesting things were happening in each group but they're really not. I still don't get why Rick's group has suddenly decided to trust this other large group enough to give them a huge arsenal of weapons, no way would the Rick of even a season ago do something like that.

I couldn't give a toss about what Maggie is up to these days either.
[close]

Offline JoeCole

• Spoiler!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4379 on: March 20, 2017, 08:12:28 pm »
It was ok.

Spoiler
The final scene was pretty funny though, was like some kind of superhero film
[close]

Offline G a r y

• Sexist Pig. Wants to mate with Dan Bilzerian
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kop 306
« Reply #4380 on: March 20, 2017, 09:59:18 pm »
Who was it at the end?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4381 on: March 20, 2017, 11:19:20 pm »
Who was it at the end?

I thought it was Eugene.

Awful episode that just drags.

"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline G a r y

• Legacy Fan
  • Kop 306
« Reply #4382 on: March 20, 2017, 11:28:50 pm »
With the crossbow? I thought Darryl was too obvious of a choice. Would he have made it to them so quickly?

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4383 on: March 20, 2017, 11:49:38 pm »
With the crossbow? I thought Darryl was too obvious of a choice. Would he have made it to them so quickly?

I thought maybe it was that Captain Burnt Face guy who's obsessed with Daryl, I'm pretty sure he took Daryl's original crossbow.

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
« Reply #4384 on: March 21, 2017, 12:42:19 am »
The last 90 seconds was the only bit that was vaguely interesting. Hope most of the characters die at the end of the season.
“If Everton were playing down the bottom of my garden, I'd draw the curtains.” - Bill Shankly 1913 - 1981

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
  • the king: making grown men feel like 10-year olds
« Reply #4385 on: March 21, 2017, 12:54:06 am »
wow, that's quite possibly a new low, even for TWD.

the only vaguely fun bit was simon's eyebrow acting.  really could not care less about any of the characters tediously going through their pained motions (and a pained motion is a pretty good description of the episode...)

best line was definitely "we'll never get another shot.  [dramatic pause] because they'll kill us!" :lmao

as an aside, after the lennie james masterclass last week, i went and watched the first season of 'line of duty' in the hope of seeing him working with a better script and cast - and yet once again he was literally the only good thing in it.
Dudek saaaaves for Liverpoool!  Liverpool have won the Champions' League!  Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart!

Offline NatD

• Takes offence at authors and people who eat in restaurants.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4386 on: March 21, 2017, 04:24:21 am »
Spoiler
Yeah was an OK episode, but felt like another filler - which you can take if there had been lots going on previously, but there hasn't, and things are becoming pretty tedious and predictable.  I appreciate they need to build things up, but that should have started from the return of the season break.

And it was always going to be Sasha on the other side of the fence because she's signed up for the new Star Trek!!!
[close]
"...waking up at 12 in my clothes again, feel my head explode from a night of Gin..."

Offline NatD

• Takes offence at authors and people who eat in restaurants.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4387 on: March 21, 2017, 04:26:03 am »
He is so frustrated that he goes and starts kicking empty boxes on the street. And surprisingly, the missing melon is under one of those boxes. The yellow one, to be precise. He immediately connects the dots and decides to avenge.

Weren't the melons always meant to be found like that though..?
"...waking up at 12 in my clothes again, feel my head explode from a night of Gin..."

Offline JLStretton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4388 on: March 21, 2017, 04:52:02 am »
now that was a shit episode
choose Life.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4389 on: March 21, 2017, 06:49:53 am »
It's dragging a bit now, there's too many decisions that make no sense.

Spoiler
sasha and rosita have basically put every other camp in jeopardy, it made no sense for sasha to go in and leave rosita behind saying "it's not your time" haha what a fucking divvy move. Put a bullet in eugenes face already, sick of his scared shitless act.

I've gotta be honest the more they drag it out the less I care, like if negan came along and literally bashed everyone's brains in, I'd be like "oh..okay"

[close]

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
« Reply #4390 on: March 21, 2017, 08:39:00 am »
Thank God there's more people who feel the same about that episode/this season. I'm wary of coming in here and ranting every week but I really think this show has gone to complete shit.

When it's good I will say it but it hasn't been good since episode 1 of this season I think. The farm season was better.

Offline G a r y

• Legacy Fan
  • Kop 306
« Reply #4391 on: March 21, 2017, 10:57:45 am »
They had a character in Negan who they could have done so much more with. This season needed more Rick v Negan, the more Negan the better! If they kill him off at the end of the season then it is a tragedy.

It all started off so well with the bat and went shitter and shitter each week

Offline Bunter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4392 on: March 21, 2017, 10:58:27 am »
There's what..2 episodes left now? I feel like nothing has happened, seriously struggling to remember anything of substance this season bar the opening episode. I can go back to every other season and think of loads of moments of genuine interest, intrigue and excitement, that has all evaporated.

Spoiler
Really don't get what Sasha and Rosalita are doing, another daft plot device to move the narrative in a certain directon no doubt.

They've absolutely ruined the season with the 1 group/1 story gimmick, I'm struggling to remember because of sheer apathy about the other characters and their story every time they resurface after 3-4 episodes. I mean I can't stand him but the likes of Carl has had about 10 mins screen time all season.

Then you have Corbyn at hilltop, we get it he's a sly twat who will sell them out to save himself, we don't need the same scene again.
[close]

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4393 on: March 21, 2017, 11:33:54 am »
Thank God there's more people who feel the same about that episode/this season. I'm wary of coming in here and ranting every week but I really think this show has gone to complete shit.

When it's good I will say it but it hasn't been good since episode 1 of this season I think. The farm season was better.
Agreed. Upinsmoke more or less said what I was thinking last night too.

Seriously, what in the absolute fuck are the writers even thinking about here? It's terrible. I fast forwarded the moment where the two idiots had a heart-to-heart about Abraham and all. I literally couldn't give a fuck about that thread because, well, it was hardly developed to begin with. A couple of episodes back, the two sort of looked at each other and the other tried to be mates, only for Rosita to give the cold shoulder, and I had to jog my memory a bit to think what that was all about. The major problem this show has is trying to convince the viewer into suddenly giving a shit about characters that you previously didn't give a shit about because of their lack of screen time and development. Oh, and for fuck sake, someone put a bullet in Eugene. For the love of Christ, he is the most useless, annoying bastard in any TV show that I've watched. I mean, seriously, what the fuck is the point of him? He does nothing but gurn and pull faces that would make Phil Jones enviable. If Rosita had have put a bullet in his mullet, I'd have seriously laughed and applauded. That would have been great, but alas. Again, the writers of the TV show have found a way of taking a character from the comic and completely fucking it up. He's actually a caricature of his comic book self, and that says something for the fact that he's based off a comic book character.

Another thing I will say in criticism is that the editing was terrible. Does whoever directed and edited that episode not have any sense of time?

Spoiler
The scene where the generic bad guy went into the basement where Maggie and Daryl were hiding (do they not plan to keep themselves inconspicuous anyway, seeing that they are wanted by mass murdering lunatics?) only for him to stop and turn around, appearing to walk towards them, then cut to another scene. Ten minutes pass, then it shows some more meandering bollocks no one gives a shit about involving the terribly wasted Steven Ogg, then cuts back instantly to the basement where we find time has stood still, and the said bad guy has only taken one step (or he was masturbating the whole time or something) before deciding he didn't want to do the thing he was going to do, and turns around to walk out, and for some mad reason, Daryle wants to murder him, cause tension and drama. That's what that whole scene was for, right? Tension and drama? So why the 10 minute interlude between it?
[close]
Just baffling shit. Awful.

This show has already been renewed. It had better reinvent itself and improve big time for the next series, otherwise it's viewing numbers will fall off a cliff.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 11:36:40 am by Macphisto80 »

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
« Reply #4394 on: March 21, 2017, 11:39:21 am »
I seem to remember the actor who plays Rick (Andrew Lincon?) giving it loads before the season started about how this was going to be the biggest and best season yet. We wouldn't believe what what is store, etc.

Offline Garrus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4395 on: March 21, 2017, 01:16:48 pm »
I seem to remember the actor who plays Rick (Andrew Lincon?) giving it loads before the season started about how this was going to be the biggest and best season yet. We wouldn't believe what what is store, etc.
To be fair, what did you expect him to say? He's probably going to say the same before the start of next season too.

It's a pity because we had a terrific first episode and barely a memorable one after that.

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
  • the king: making grown men feel like 10-year olds
« Reply #4396 on: March 21, 2017, 03:50:11 pm »
they're on about 100 more episodes apparently... so that's maybe 15 good episodes, 20 OK episodes, and the rest talking about knots or something similar.
Dudek saaaaves for Liverpoool!  Liverpool have won the Champions' League!  Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart!

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4397 on: March 21, 2017, 07:39:54 pm »
So much God damn filler. It honestly blows my mind that people try to talk about this show next to things like Sopranos, Breaking Bad or even the likes of Game of Thrones. The show has great episodes, but it's just watered down by AMC being so money hungry that every season is just needlessly dragged out and you have to sit between 2-5 needless one story episodes between each exciting one.

Even if they kill Negan, do Rosita and Sasha not think Trevor from GTA and the other guys won't go and slaughter Alexandria and the Hilltop in return? Dumb shit. And I still don't understand WHY they told the Saviours that Maggie was dead. What did it accomplish? All it does is needlessly puts them all in danger if they find out they lied to them.

The season had such an awesome opener but it's been such a slog since then. From awful characters, shoddy CGI, crap dialogue, weak acting. The show would be better if it was just Rick, Daryl, Carol, KORALL, Negan, Dwight, Priest, Jesus and a bunch of red shirts who get eaten by zombies
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline Mr F

• uckwit
  • Kopite
« Reply #4398 on: March 21, 2017, 09:29:54 pm »
Does everyone left alive know how to hotwire cars? Seems like someone does it every episode.
Chardee MacDennis: The Game of Games

Offline simpleman

• Doesn't wash his willy
  • Anny Roader
  • Believer
« Reply #4399 on: March 21, 2017, 09:34:06 pm »
I've given up.  At the end of the last series I decided I wasn't going to watch it anymore.  Due to my shit memory I forgot and began watching this series.  This series hasn't really bothered me too much, some things I liked and kept me interested.  For some reason though after watching the first 5 minutes of last nights episode, I turned it off.  All the smiles and cheesy music during their fighting drills made cringe and ask myself what the hell am I doing watching this.  I honestly feared I was going to witness someone skipping down a prairie.  Episode now deleted as well as the series link.  I feel a burden has been lifted :)