Author Topic: John Barnes  (Read 171294 times)

Offline Trousers

• All Mouth And...
  • Legacy Fan
Re: John Barnes
« Reply #160 on: January 23, 2009, 10:43:35 pm »
Which of the brothers got him was it Ian Or David?
I hate them with a passion for doing Barnes.

The useless pair of snide shitstains.
Militant Internet Terrorist.

Offline murgaz

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #161 on: January 24, 2009, 12:06:32 am »
Which of the brothers got him was it Ian Or David?
I hate them with a passion for doing Barnes.

The useless pair of snide shitstains.
Lad, can't remember which manc. Was at the match,think it was a mid-week from memory. We had the whole wooden bench Platt Lane and he got done from behind deliberately; awful challenge. He lost that acceleration after that and was never quite as incredible. Only Torres has come close to a signing since tho.
Fitting day to sing
'His name was Jonny Barnes and he came from Jamaica...'

Offline Barrowboy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sky Sports - It's shite
« Reply #162 on: January 24, 2009, 12:17:00 am »
Watched an interview with Aldo once and when asked who the best player he ever played with his answer was emphatically "John Barnes no question". Now I know that Aldo was only here for a couple of seasons and he spent most of his career in the lower leagues but it was the finality of his statement and then his explanation. Barnes was absolutely unplayable for the whole time Aldridge spent at Anfield, he was impossible to mark, impossible to chase, impossible to tackle. Poetry in motion was Barnes and I think what also makes him such a legend was how he adapted his game after the afore-mentioned shit house tackle that affected his pace so much. He carried on playing for Liverpool long after his pace had gone and helped bring on players like Fowler with almost his sheer presence alone. Legend, and a shoe-in at left wing for most of us in the all-time best ever LFC side 
If Kenny Dalglish cannot influence the team to play with more pride in their shirts for the millions of fans they represent, then what chance does anyone else have?

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #163 on: January 24, 2009, 09:22:57 am »
Legend, and a shoe-in at left wing for most of us in the all-time best ever LFC side 
a
Billy Liddell ?

Barnesy is definitely in my best team although it would mean no place for the truly great Ray Ken but older reds may take a different view. I think we'd have to find a place for both Barnesy and Billy.

Offline Monkey Red

• Jacques Cousteau
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Just add salty water
« Reply #164 on: January 24, 2009, 10:41:53 am »
Top, top bloke. Love him to bits! I was at Anfield with my Daughter, who was two at the time. I adked JB for an autograph, and, because he was the first black guy she´d ever seen, she seemed to be a bit scared, so he just took her off me and cuddled her. Legend!
'It'll whisper to them of Liverpools five glorious European Cup victories"

Offline Barrowboy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sky Sports - It's shite
« Reply #165 on: January 24, 2009, 02:36:04 pm »
a
Billy Liddell ?

Barnesy is definitely in my best team although it would mean no place for the truly great Ray Ken but older reds may take a different view. I think we'd have to find a place for both Barnesy and Billy.

Fair enough but I never saw Liddell play so I would probably give Barnes the nod as I saw him play frequently. Interesting point though, do most people tend to go with players they've seen play when naming their all-time best XI or do they put someone in on reputation alone? My old man always had Roger Hunt, Ron Yeats and Tommy Smith in his best ever side. I saw Smith play but not the other two so all I have to go on is dvd and video plus what I read about them.
If Kenny Dalglish cannot influence the team to play with more pride in their shirts for the millions of fans they represent, then what chance does anyone else have?

Offline Livani

• Kemlynite
« Reply #166 on: January 24, 2009, 07:35:13 pm »
Was that the game Ronnie Whelan scored an own goal from about 40 yards. Utterly coasting and then got messy for a bit.

Yeah it was.

Offline Livani

• Kemlynite
« Reply #167 on: January 24, 2009, 08:10:38 pm »
Re: Kennedy vs. Barnes.
I'd sidestep that by having a 3 man midfield with Souness, Ray Kennedy and Terry Mac or SG (I'd probably plump for SG). You could then have a front three of JB, Rushie and Kenny. Lots of flexibility there, you could easily switch between formations.
You have to have Kennedy in there. On the Liverpool managers dvd Bob Paisley says that for 3 or 4 years Ray Kennedy was the best mdfielder in Europe.
(Rest of my side would be Clem, Smith right back, Nicol left back, Hansen & Lawrenson. Nicol won Player of the Year whilst playing fullback. Can't think of another precedent for this).

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #168 on: January 24, 2009, 09:49:41 pm »
Great thread.  Can remember the teams from late 70's onwards and without doubt the 88 team was the best in my mind for attacking strength.  Every time Barnes got the ball you knew more often than not something was gonna happen.

Even when he was past his best in the 90's he scored an unbelievable effort from way out when Beasant ran out of the box & cleared for Southampton.  Barnes nonchalantly hit a screamer along the ground into the smallest of gaps which avoided all the players between him and the goal.  Superb.

Offline mattyox

• Boys Pen
« Reply #169 on: January 24, 2009, 11:10:09 pm »
He was unreal. just what we needed at the time. different class.Like the scouser in the black joke. Remember when the floodlights went out.came on after a few minutes to a rendition of barnesy is back allo

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #170 on: January 24, 2009, 11:34:54 pm »
Loved him as a kid, though I was too young to appreciate him fully.

The only reason why Digger is not considered amongst the greatest players in the world (ever) is the lack of Euro football at his peak, racist England, and the horrible injuries he got. Nevertheless, European and world footballs loss was our gain. Still believe we paid half as much for him as we did for Beardo (who was worth his fee as well).

If he played nowadays, he would been even better than he was then
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline Manila Vanilla

• aka Spud Balls!
  • Legacy Fan
    • Baile Family Website
« Reply #171 on: January 25, 2009, 12:23:30 am »

********* JOHN BARNES VIDEO NOW POSTED  *********

I've now posted a compilation video. It was cobbled together quickly but contains most of the items that people asked to see in the thread.
It's in the form Assists - Goals (+Headers) - Free Kicks.

The main problem was what to leave out. I could easily have made it four or five times longer but it will at least give an idea of how lucky we 'arl arses were..!!!

You can find it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmAo0uiarvA

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #172 on: January 25, 2009, 12:41:50 am »
Manilla Vanilla you utter legend! That's the best 6 minutes I've had in a long time! Found his header v the Mancs and free kick v QPR that I hadn't seen in years. Some of those assists too - he really was untouchable!

Offline johnybarnes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #173 on: January 25, 2009, 01:30:43 am »

Thank you very much, boss little video that. The amount of assists he provided as well as the amazing solo runs, truly a one off.

Offline jaydog

• Main Stander
« Reply #174 on: January 25, 2009, 01:36:36 am »
So many pundits etc only too willing to talk about the great gooners/Mancs sides and their expansive footlball and what great teams they were; yet the football played by Kenny's team with Aldo/Barnes/Beardsley was some of the greatest ever.  The Forest match where we took them apart was some of the most incredible football I have seen.

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #175 on: January 25, 2009, 03:32:33 am »

I've now posted a compilation video. It was cobbled together quickly but contains most of the items that people asked to see in the thread.

The main problem was what to leave out. I could easily have made it four or five times longer but it will at least give an idea of how lucky we 'arl arses were..!!!

You can find it here:

You are a fucking legend. Nice one lad..

Offline zimmie'5555

• passenger on an intergalactic spaceship... sometimes wishes he was a woman
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #176 on: January 25, 2009, 03:36:43 am »
You are a fucking legend. Nice one lad..

Ditto. Much appreciated

Offline Manila Vanilla

• aka Spud Balls!
  • Legacy Fan
    • Baile Family Website
« Reply #177 on: January 25, 2009, 06:54:22 am »
That's the best 6 minutes I've had in a long time!

What? Better than making love six times...?

The point on what we now call "Assists" is an interesting one. We tend to remember the goals but when I put together the compilation I had to try and cut a lot of the "Assists" out, to get some balance. I could have made ten minutes worth of Assists. But that was John Barnes. The most supremely talented individual I've ever seen on a football pitch, yet he played for the team first. He looked to play in a fellow player if he could - but if he set off on one of those runs you couldn't get near him.

There's a sequence on the video against Chelsea. I watched that in the ground as he ran towards us on the Kop, effortlessly hurdling desperate lunge after desperate lunge. The fluidity of movement was beautiful.

Even things like the "Anfield Rap" showed him as a team man first and foremost and he contributed as much as anyone in the aftermath of Hillsborough, attending funerals. He was one of those few people who genuinely deserve to be called a "legend".

Offline whtwht

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #178 on: January 25, 2009, 09:37:08 am »
Thank you very much, boss little video that. The amount of assists he provided as well as the amazing solo runs, truly a one off.

Brought a smile to my face this morning..... Some goals i completely forgot about on there
He'll win the league in the next 3 years. Quote me on that.
Quote me on this, but come next season he'll be great for us. Just needs to remove the walking headless chicken next to him

Offline johnybarnes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #179 on: January 26, 2009, 12:44:32 am »
Brought a smile to my face this morning..... Some goals i completely forgot about on there

Same, had to watch it again after the result.

Offline LRRP

• Main Stander
« Reply #180 on: January 26, 2009, 10:38:36 am »
I had the pleasure of meeting the great man when he came down. Totally warm, personal and pretty humourous a person. Very friendly and obliging as he went round the pub to take pictures with fans and sign autographs. He was already my fav player then, that encounter made the association concrete. Top man I say.

Offline zimmie'5555

• passenger on an intergalactic spaceship... sometimes wishes he was a woman
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #181 on: January 26, 2009, 01:30:42 pm »
One of the things that sticks out when watching these clips is how many great goals he scored with his right foot. Just a naturally beautiful footballer.

Offline barnseysleftpeg

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: January 26, 2009, 01:46:13 pm »
Re: Kennedy vs. Barnes.
I'd sidestep that by having a 3 man midfield with Souness, Ray Kennedy and Terry Mac or SG (I'd probably plump for SG). You could then have a front three of JB, Rushie and Kenny. Lots of flexibility there, you could easily switch between formations.
You have to have Kennedy in there. On the Liverpool managers dvd Bob Paisley says that for 3 or 4 years Ray Kennedy was the best mdfielder in Europe.
(Rest of my side would be Clem, Smith right back, Nicol left back, Hansen & Lawrenson. Nicol won Player of the Year whilst playing fullback. Can't think of another precedent for this).
[/quot

Kennedy was class but didn't Heighway play down the left as well or was it down the right - he was a cracking player as well

Offline barnseysleftpeg

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: January 26, 2009, 01:56:34 pm »

You can find it here:

Mate that is the best Barnes compilation I've seen - absolutely fantastic well done!!!!!!!!!

I'm sorry he's got to to be for sheer talent and end product the finest player englands ever produced.

Gazza, Stevie, Hoddle, Charlton are all up there but Barnes was simply unplayable and was clearly world class.

For me during, his pomp only Maradona was better

Offline thechulloran

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #184 on: January 11, 2010, 05:41:11 am »
Liverpool 5 Leeds United 4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RH076SXfvcs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=428AhTAa4tg

John Barnes what a player, a freak of a pass for the first goal :o :o :o, and playing the simple 1-2s throughout.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 09:45:16 am by thechulloran »
"Blackstone was targeted by Internet terrorists" - Tom Hicks

Offline Red_Isle_Chap

• Hairy Fool
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blimey!
« Reply #185 on: January 11, 2010, 06:43:42 am »

You can find it here:

That's fucking brilliant, watching that again. It's all amazing, but the control of the through ball on 5:00 is just out of this world!!

What a legend!
And when you find yourself along the untrodden path
Remember me with a smile, a drink, a gesture or a laugh
And a toast for the man who loves every hour of every day
And a feast for the friends and faces met along way
Gratitude

Offline The Red artist.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • With hope in your heart.
« Reply #186 on: January 11, 2010, 11:50:10 am »
Unbelievable player.  If Kaka is getting bids of £100m, then Digger would have been worth half a billion at his peak.  Even when he was fat and spent the entire game in the centre circle he was still better than any player we have now.  Messi is the only player in world football who is close to how good Barnes was in 87/88/89, and I'd happily argue that in terms of raw ability he's the best player we've had at the club.

I'm going to have to dig out my old 'The John Barnes Story' video and stick it on.

Yeh mate boss video that, there's a clip on it. i think it might be brighton away (blue kit) and the camera is at ground level and our dugout is in line of the shot behind digger. The peice of skill he does is quite simply unbelievable and the reaction of our bench says it all.

Unbelievable footballer, great at every aspect of the game. Up there with the best players i've ever seen anywhere.
Y.N.W.A....J.F.T.96.

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #187 on: January 11, 2010, 12:56:12 pm »

You can find it here:

So many fantastic goals and bits of unbelievable, individual skill from an absolute World class player, who in my opinion had it all.
It's like poetry in motion.
The goal he scores on 2-55 minutes of that vid, against QPR is as good a goal as you will ever see.

Pure, pure genius.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #188 on: January 11, 2010, 01:02:31 pm »
great thread. Thanks to whoever started it.

Offline youll never walk alone it

• Can no longer walk alone as he has whiplash... or that's what his insurer thinks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #189 on: January 11, 2010, 01:14:50 pm »
it was ian who crocked him dont think his brother played any significant games for city....
Im drunk  but i havent had  a drink!  bob paisley after rome 77                The times i had here wernt all great, we only  finished 2nd one  season....the great  bob paisley

when shanks was asked  how he relaxed,  he said  he looks at the league table and checks where everton are...

Offline Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity. Considerably more greedier than yaow!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ceux qui écrivent clairement ont des lecteurs.....
« Reply #190 on: January 11, 2010, 02:23:40 pm »
He had the uncanny ability to keep the ball (whether it was through feints, speed, trickery, dribbling, and sheer strength.)

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Mod
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #191 on: January 11, 2010, 02:54:26 pm »
5:00.

Fantastic.

Offline Keens

• Kopite
  • Thanks for the memories Rafa!
« Reply #192 on: January 11, 2010, 03:06:50 pm »
My hero!
"I think I have said it before, but there is no one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club....." - Kenny Dalglish

Offline itsgunnabebarnes!

• Neghead. hard and gagging. Will never be Barnes
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #193 on: January 11, 2010, 03:12:31 pm »
ive still got the john barnes story on vhs. always love watching that.
'Tramps like us, baby we were born to run!'

Offline wednesday25052005

• Kopite
  • JFT96
« Reply #194 on: January 11, 2010, 03:15:23 pm »
Awesome player Johnny Barnes!

Top avatar that Keens

Offline stevied

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: January 11, 2010, 03:17:51 pm »
How many goals did he set up for Houghton, brilliant vid thanks for that
i can tip em but cant back em

RAWK Aintree tipping champ 2013

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #196 on: January 11, 2010, 03:22:05 pm »

You can find it here:

Ah, "pass and move" how I miss you. Amazing how many of those goals were scored from defending from the front. The speed and the movement must have been terrifying for the opposition, particularly when Barnes broke out on the left and you'd have two or three Liverpool players sitting in and around the box waiting for his delivery.

He was never the same player after his Achilles injury, but he was still capable of showing moments of class.  Hands down the best player to put on a Liverpool shirt in my lifetime. I think only Torres comes close to matching the sense of anticipation you received when Barnes had the ball at his feet: you knew something special and unexpected could happen in an instant.

Offline stevied

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: January 11, 2010, 03:29:07 pm »
And he could rap better than Babel before the babelmania starts
i can tip em but cant back em

RAWK Aintree tipping champ 2013

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #198 on: January 11, 2010, 03:32:43 pm »
That was just beautiful. I do not think there is any other player in my lifetime that has looked so perfect on the pitch as the man just flowed out there. Most of us without the ball struggle to move but that ball looked like it smiled everytime Barnesy had it. Wish I never got my avatar Barnesmagic banned.

Easily the best player at the club for the past 25 years and may even rank up there with Kenny.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #199 on: January 11, 2010, 04:40:26 pm »
definitely deserved a few more honours during his time here. can anyone confirm how his achilles injury came about? a few comments about brightwell from city but i could have sworn he got injured on england duty, possibly in finland. can anyone confirm?