Author Topic: Arsenal  (Read 5737690 times)

Offline Cliff Bastin

• Big Exeter fan, pretending to be a gooner, pretending...yawn
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: General Arsenal Thread
« Reply #43040 on: March 30, 2017, 05:49:59 pm »
I've just seen Cliff's custom title. Very apt.
I know Spurs fans that show more support for Arsenal.
I support Arsenal Football Club, not Arsene Wenger, not anymore. It is groundhog day with him now and it is lucky this international break came as before it the tension was sky high but watch it reignite again.

Offline Ashburton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43041 on: March 30, 2017, 06:13:03 pm »
I don't support Cliff's vehemence when it comes to Wenger, but the vast majority of my Arsenal supporting mates believe Wenger's time has come, and he needs to move on - and at the very least stop with the media games of "I know what I'm doing but I'm not going to tell you".  His side's form can't get any worse, why not just come out with it.

He doesn't help himself, by two weeks ago stating he has made his decision, and will let people know after the international break, and now coming out yesterday with “I’ve always been very clear in my mind. I will remain like that. It’s a subject that, at the moment, is not sorted completely out. But anyway, do I stay two months or two years? My commitment will be exactly the same.”

As others said, he's obviously staying, and will announce it when the side manages to beat someone decent.  However with only 1 point away all season against top-10 sides and a brutal set of fixtures coming up, with the side odds on for Europa, ArsenalFanTV are going to be getting their ad revenue rolling in.

What is more likely, is he will announce a new contract on the final day of the season, if the team does actually achieve CL football - he can pull the narrative of "see we got CL again anyway in a difficult season", or "I want to help the team transition to a new manager and we want CL football to do this", if he only hits the Europa.  Though frankly I consider that our level at the moment.

Offline Cliff Bastin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43042 on: March 30, 2017, 06:52:08 pm »
I don't think a good opportunity will come to announce it. It will be terrible regardless, it will cause even more commotion with supporters. Europa is our level, we aren't good enough to be in the champions league, Wenger has gradually lowered the standards and now its mission accomplished.

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43043 on: March 30, 2017, 07:10:55 pm »
Read Pires interview, he says the best player he played with was Bergkamp, not Henry. I don't disagree with him but i was surprised he said it. I wonder what Arsenal fans here think about it.

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43044 on: March 30, 2017, 07:34:42 pm »
Arsenal Fan TV now producing rap videos :lmao :lmao :lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Luh5gG4RZ-o
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43045 on: March 30, 2017, 07:48:12 pm »

"Get back to Sutton, you're needed in goal" :lmao

Some of that was pretty funny tbf, and it's for charity so fair fucks to them!

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43046 on: March 30, 2017, 07:49:50 pm »
Robbie must be raking it in
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43047 on: March 31, 2017, 03:34:17 am »

It's actually pretty fucking good. Fair play to them. ;D
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43048 on: March 31, 2017, 06:47:59 am »
Our best performance of the season that.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43049 on: March 31, 2017, 08:06:15 am »
Just heard that song again. The "Go back to Sutton, you're needed in goal" at Heavy D line is sheer genius. :lmao :lmao
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #43050 on: March 31, 2017, 11:32:48 am »
Yeah good on them doing it for charity!
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #43051 on: March 31, 2017, 11:55:37 am »
With the age profile of Arsenal's squad, plus Sanchez and Ozil contracts stalling, they're going to need to nail this next window if they're not to face a few seasons in the wilderness. 

Yep said this earlier in the thread. Every summer on the transfer threads people claim it is The Most Important Summer Ever™. In Arsenal's case it will be a legitimately important one. The core of the team is getting older and two of their best players want out. Regardless of whether Wenger stays on, whoever is there in the summer is going to have a massive job on their hands, possibly replacing at least two key players. Additionally, with it being a World Cup year, there will be players who will be pretty much looking for a guarantee that they will get a lot of playing time and an opportunity to shine before joining a club.

Offline Cliff Bastin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43052 on: March 31, 2017, 01:25:34 pm »
AST survey results: Arsenal fans report huge admiration & respect for Arsene Wenger but 78% say no to new contract (@AST_arsenal)

In summer 2015 84% supported Arsene Wenger, this has swung dramatically to 78% saying no new contract in March 2017 (@AST_arsenal)

AST survey results: 86% not happy with how the #Arsenal Board have managed the contract situation with Arsene Wenger. #AFC (@AST_arsenal)

https://www.arsenaltrust.org/news/2016/78-say-no-to-new-contract-for-arsene-wenger-in-ast-survey
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 01:31:46 pm by Cliff Bastin »

Offline thelinnen

• Tepid Water Lite. Serial Moaner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43053 on: March 31, 2017, 03:56:44 pm »
AST survey results: Arsenal fans report huge admiration & respect for Arsene Wenger but 78% say no to new contract (@AST_arsenal)

In summer 2015 84% supported Arsene Wenger, this has swung dramatically to 78% saying no new contract in March 2017 (@AST_arsenal)

AST survey results: 86% not happy with how the #Arsenal Board have managed the contract situation with Arsene Wenger. #AFC (@AST_arsenal)

https://www.arsenaltrust.org/news/2016/78-say-no-to-new-contract-for-arsene-wenger-in-ast-survey
A survey like that is irrelevant mid season, especially as Arsenal had just retained the FA Cup.
Then in the midddle out pops a smiling glen johnson pulling up his jersey to reveal a t-shirt of suarez with a text saying. "OUR SUAREZ IS A FRIEND TO ALL COLOURS!"

Online DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43054 on: April 2, 2017, 06:34:49 pm »
Things really hotting up today at the Emirates . . .

Take a look at @Footy_Fooligans's Tweet: https://twitter.com/Footy_Fooligans/status/848582025208627200?s=08
Take a look at @Footy_Fooligans's Tweet: https://twitter.com/Footy_Fooligans/status/848585988402290688?s=08
Take a look at @Footy_Fooligans's Tweet: https://twitter.com/Footy_Fooligans/status/848586123517546496?s=08

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #43055 on: April 2, 2017, 06:42:04 pm »
11 pts behind Spurs. I never thought I'd live to see the day but man it is really happening.

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43056 on: April 2, 2017, 07:53:10 pm »
11 pts behind Spurs. I never thought I'd live to see the day but man it is really happening.

To be fair, we've been 12 points behind them before, and still hauled them back, wont happen this season though.
Having said that, with 3 games of the season left last season, we were 7 points behind them, so you never know with Spurs. They would need to lose about 7 of their remaining games, because we wont be doing much winning.
There for the taking today, just met another team who seem to be playing to get rid of their manager.   Pep - Messi = Wenger.

Offline b_joseph

• b_jesus, b_mary, b_joseph and the wee b_donkey. Unloyal gloryhunter who was probably Kelly Osbourne in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43057 on: April 2, 2017, 07:55:47 pm »

To be fair, we've been 12 points behind them before, and still hauled them back, wont happen this season though.
Having said that, with 3 games of the season left last season, we were 7 points behind them, so you never know with Spurs. They would need to lose about 7 of their remaining games, because we wont be doing much winning.
There for the taking today, just met another team who seem to be playing to get rid of their manager.   Pep - Messi = Wenger.
Thats an even crazier take than your ''Messi in rapid decline'' take.

Credit to Arsenal for coming back today though. Really was a game that could have been the final nail.
« Last Edit: April 2, 2017, 07:57:51 pm by b_joseph »

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #43058 on: April 2, 2017, 07:57:45 pm »
Alexis Sanchez didn't half play himself into some difficult situations today, putting his team in trouble, did it at leaset 3 or 4 times. Is that normal with him? I can't say I've noticed, but then it's not like I'm watching a load of Arsenal games.

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43059 on: April 2, 2017, 08:00:00 pm »
Alexis Sanchez didn't half play himself into some difficult situations today, putting his team in trouble, did it at leaset 3 or 4 times. Is that normal with him? I can't say I've noticed, but then it's not like I'm watching a load of Arsenal games.

He was trying to help out by taking the ball off the center backs, because we have no midfield.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #43060 on: April 2, 2017, 08:01:19 pm »
He was trying to help out by taking the ball off the center backs, because we have no midfield.

so it's a season long thing then?

Offline idontknow

• idonowknowicanchangethisijustfoundouticould
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43061 on: April 2, 2017, 08:48:19 pm »
It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43062 on: April 2, 2017, 08:58:45 pm »
Called it after the 2nd 5-1 to Bayern. They're not making top 4 this time
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Online DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43063 on: April 2, 2017, 09:31:09 pm »
Bookies certainly don't think so.

Spurs 1/10
City 1/6
Liverpool 2/7
Mancs 7/2
Arsenal 6/1

Offline zanwalk

• Main Stander
« Reply #43064 on: April 2, 2017, 09:44:42 pm »
Read somewhere that Arsenal have the same points now as last season at this stage, also the wins/draws/losses are exactly the same.

Of course the reality this season is that several of the top teams who underperformed last season are getting their act together better this season.

Offline mersey_paradiso

• Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool's where I belong
« Reply #43065 on: April 2, 2017, 09:49:34 pm »
Things really hotting up today at the Emirates . . .

Take a look at @Footy_Fooligans's Tweet: https://twitter.com/Footy_Fooligans/status/848582025208627200?s=08
Take a look at @Footy_Fooligans's Tweet: https://twitter.com/Footy_Fooligans/status/848585988402290688?s=08
Take a look at @Footy_Fooligans's Tweet: https://twitter.com/Footy_Fooligans/status/848586123517546496?s=08

Fighting between themselves at the game ? Fucking hell , that is pathetic.
RIP Alex Jarmay .                                           Justice  for the 97 YNWA

Mr Alex Ferguson on Anfield after St Etienne 77 : "I didn't walk away from the ground after the game, I floated out. I had been caught up in the most exciting football atmosphere I have ever experienced...these Liverpool fans support with PASSION"

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #43066 on: April 2, 2017, 10:03:18 pm »
Read somewhere that Arsenal have the same points now as last season at this stage, also the wins/draws/losses are exactly the same.

Of course the reality this season is that several of the top teams who underperformed last season are getting their act together better this season.

Arsenal were in third on 51 points. Leicester on 57 points after 28 games wouldn't even get into the top four this season. It just shows how poor the League was last season and that Arsenal haven't moved on in twelve months.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Cliff Bastin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43067 on: April 2, 2017, 10:32:50 pm »
Once we won back to back FA cups, it has just got worse since 2015. Personally think its criminal that the club hasn't announced what the hell is going on with the manager and the whole situation. Its making it very difficult to just focus on the football.

Offline Bangin Them In

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43068 on: April 2, 2017, 10:34:36 pm »
Fighting between themselves at the game ? Fucking hell , that is pathetic.
Exactly

Never seen so many lattes spilled in my life
A win for the Liverpool country

Offline zanwalk

• Main Stander
« Reply #43069 on: April 2, 2017, 10:56:37 pm »
Arsenal were in third on 51 points. Leicester on 57 points after 28 games wouldn't even get into the top four this season. It just shows how poor the League was last season and that Arsenal haven't moved on in twelve months.

Thanks for that, and I agree that last season was exceptional for how many top teams were under performing, and I am pleasantly surprised to see how well Spurs have improved to be in with a chance of top four this season.

I was honestly expecting a struggle to achieve that this year, and although it is not yet certain it is looking good atm.

For any 'neutral' observer this season it must be thrilling to see so many top managers in the PL, and apart from Chelsea looking certain to win it, the other top five places are very close.

Arsene Wenger is feeling the heat, and their chances of top four are slim now, but I never write them off until it becomes mathematically impossible. That guy has a Teflon coat.

Offline mersey_paradiso

• Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool's where I belong
« Reply #43070 on: April 2, 2017, 10:59:16 pm »
Exactly

Never seen so many lattes spilled in my life

;D

RIP Alex Jarmay .                                           Justice  for the 97 YNWA

Mr Alex Ferguson on Anfield after St Etienne 77 : "I didn't walk away from the ground after the game, I floated out. I had been caught up in the most exciting football atmosphere I have ever experienced...these Liverpool fans support with PASSION"

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43071 on: April 2, 2017, 11:10:49 pm »
At Wrestlemania!

Offline ElCapo

• Legacy Fan
  • Bayern Munich - Mia San Mia
« Reply #43072 on: April 3, 2017, 06:12:20 am »
It's done, they needed to win today. 

Offline ElCapo

• Legacy Fan
  • Bayern Munich - Mia San Mia
« Reply #43073 on: April 3, 2017, 06:34:04 am »
https://twitter.com/premierleague/status/848600437074874368

Clearly the league is much more competitive this year, but Arsenal haven't improved.

Offline MagicHat

• Seeks SingleBunny For Professional Relationship And Cosy Nights In
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43074 on: April 3, 2017, 08:02:12 am »
Thought we played fairly well for an hour in midfield and attack but then seemed to run out of steam, couldn't get ball of City to launch an attack when we badly needed a win. Scored twice at home, that has to be enough but our defence was abysmal in first half whenever Man City got the urge to attack, we were cut through with so much ease

Read Pires interview, he says the best player he played with was Bergkamp, not Henry. I don't disagree with him but i was surprised he said it. I wonder what Arsenal fans here think about it.

I have said I preferred Bergkamp to Henry before so I'm ok with that ;) For a player like Pires, I can see why given it was Bergkamp feeding the ball to the players like Pires where they could cause damage

He is something of a ball hog but the losing the ball in such areas is fairly new

Offline Kovai Red

• Oh my captain!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Educated Farrago
« Reply #43075 on: April 3, 2017, 08:59:21 am »
Now I expect them to go on a winning run just enough to make it into the top-4 and possibly pegging back Spurs ;D
"Liverpool are the ones with the ball. I support them just for that"
"Ella pugazhum Iraivan Oruvanuke"

Offline b_joseph

• b_jesus, b_mary, b_joseph and the wee b_donkey. Unloyal gloryhunter who was probably Kelly Osbourne in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43076 on: April 3, 2017, 09:09:46 am »
https://twitter.com/premierleague/status/848600437074874368

Clearly the league is much more competitive this year, but Arsenal haven't improved.
Technically...if the league is better this year, then having the same points in a more difficult league is an improvement. A better league would mean more teams capable of taking points off you.

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #43077 on: April 3, 2017, 10:56:22 am »
I was shocked to see how bad Ozil was yesterday. Just before he had that chance, I don't remember the commentators saying his name once in the second half. How did he complete 90 minutes?

Sanchez surprised me a bit too, he seemed to find himself in the left back area a lot running the ball out of defence but at other times, he was allowing the ball to be passed around him and in behind him without any desire to chase it or track players. I found his performance really strange in that respect.

Agreed with Arsene Wenger at the end, although a point does nothing for either team, I really think it was a case of must not lose for them, and stopping that losing streak. They should be looking at 3 wins from their next 4 in the League, and if they do that, then they will still be right in the fight for 4th spot. That position will stay 'open' until the end of the season IMO. A defeat would have caused more hysteria and panic, a draw after going behind twice should give the players a bit more confidence and belief.

I think it's daft to write them off.
« Last Edit: April 3, 2017, 10:59:02 am by Ciara (with a capital "C") »

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43078 on: April 3, 2017, 11:18:38 am »
I was shocked to see how bad Ozil was yesterday. Just before he had that chance, I don't remember the commentators saying his name once in the second half. How did he complete 90 minutes?

Sanchez surprised me a bit too, he seemed to find himself in the left back area a lot running the ball out of defence but at other times, he was allowing the ball to be passed around him and in behind him without any desire to chase it or track players. I found his performance really strange in that respect.

Agreed with Arsene Wenger at the end, although a point does nothing for either team, I really think it was a case of must not lose for them, and stopping that losing streak. They should be looking at 3 wins from their next 4 in the League, and if they do that, then they will still be right in the fight for 4th spot. That position will stay 'open' until the end of the season IMO. A defeat would have caused more hysteria and panic, a draw after going behind twice should give the players a bit more confidence and belief.

I think it's daft to write them off.

Yeah it's way too early for people to be claiming they're done, we just about have an advantage over them but they've gone through similar turmoil before and still ended the season incredibly well.

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43079 on: April 3, 2017, 11:51:01 am »
We will need a serious collapse from one of the 3 teams below Chelsea. Its possible, unlikely at this stage. We don't seem to have the motivation to go after 4th place like in previous seasons. Most players look like they either don't want to be there, or don't want the manager to be there, same goes for the fans.
If we do get 4th, then whoever finishes below us should be ashamed of themselves. They should get there ahead of us on hunger alone. We haven't got any of that, just going through the motions.