Author Topic: MLS Thread  (Read 80606 times)

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: MLS Thread
« Reply #240 on: March 21, 2017, 11:06:28 am »
Over in the footy betting thread a few of us have been making some good cash out of young Venezuelan striker Josef Martinez who is scoring for fun for new MLS franchise Atlanta United.  The lad played a few seasons and scored a few for Torino in Serie A and perhaps looks a class above MLS standard.

New team, new stadium, shit loads of passionate fans I believe.  They seem to have a pretty good squad too.  Think they were unlucky against NYRB in their very first game then have easily won their last two.

I quickly grabbed Atlanta at 50/1 to win the MLS title after Saturdays game and they have since been slashed to 25's.

So...Any of the more well informed MLS guys care to elaborate if Atlanta really do look the real deal or is it just a flash in the pan, Honeymoon period type of thing?

Also, does MLS have a transfer window as such or is it a transfer free for all?

The kid from Paraguay, Almiron, he's got some serious jets...

Not forgetting this guy too. Atlanta do seem to have some classy players.

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #241 on: March 22, 2017, 03:50:45 pm »
They are the real deal.

Minnesota on the other hand built their "franchise" (God, I hate that word) using MLS1.0 techniques with a lot of the squad being promoted from when the team was in the NASL. Chicago (even after signing Schweinsteiger) & New England are possibly the two worst managed teams in the league, with the owners not giving a shit.
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #242 on: March 22, 2017, 04:49:39 pm »
Thus far, Atlanta have done very well, nothing lucky or flukey about how they've played.

I live in Atlanta and want the team to do well.

Tata has done a very good job so far, and the owner, Arthur Blank, has also backed the club by being willing to pay relatively good money for loan players like Martinez or young DP players like Almiron or Villalba.

They've "built" the new team in a way wholly different to the standard procedure alluded to by Y2J, although I would add the comment that Adrian Heath and his tremendously outdated tactics might be as responsible for Minnesota's early struggles as their being built around an essentially NASL roster.

Going to South America for young, fast, skillful players around whom to build a team has resulted in an incredibly exciting playing style.

The one worry about Atlanta is that their playing style is very high-energy, with aggressive pressing in certain parts of the pitch and lightning quick transitions from multiple players.

It's modern soccer and very attractive to watch, but MLS referees tend to be very tolerant of what amounts to low post basketball defending, hands all over, all the time, and the tremendous travel distances will also make maintaining such a playing style difficult as the season progresses...

Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline ncred

• ble
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #243 on: March 23, 2017, 08:09:32 pm »
^^ not to mention as the weather warms up it might be hard to maintain.  Atlanta isn't very comfortable in the dead of the summer

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #244 on: March 28, 2017, 01:12:25 pm »
Cheers for the replies on Atlanta guys. Very informative and encouraging (in parts) too.

Atlanta have a massive game away at MLS champs Seattle on Friday night.  A win there surely must signal a serious statement of intent?

From a betting Point of view I'm taking the 4/1 on Atlanta and will as usual be smashing into Josef Martinez.

Hope its on Telly here in UK :)

Offline mc_red22

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #245 on: March 28, 2017, 07:56:52 pm »
Cheers for the replies on Atlanta guys. Very informative and encouraging (in parts) too.
http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/Smileys/default/undecided.gif
Atlanta have a massive game away at MLS champs Seattle on Friday night.  A win there surely must signal a serious statement of intent?

From a betting Point of view I'm taking the 4/1 on Atlanta and will as usual be smashing into Josef Martinez.

Looking at the scheduling for Saturday early hours, it isn't on in the UK which is bollocks.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #246 on: March 28, 2017, 09:56:22 pm »

Martinez got hurt playing for Venezuela in a qualifier. Don't make your bet!  :wave

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #247 on: March 28, 2017, 10:07:13 pm »
Martinez got hurt playing for Venezuela in a qualifier. Don't make your bet!  :wave

Fucking internationals :no

If it's not Lallana it's Martinez

Without him I won't be backing Atlanta on Saturday :(

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #248 on: April 1, 2017, 09:31:48 am »
Good draw for Atlanta last night at Seattle.

Looking at the stats it seems the visitors had plenty of chances to win it.

Offline 'Mondzz'

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #249 on: April 2, 2017, 06:20:16 pm »
Schweinsteiger scoring on his debut for Chicago to help them with their World Cup push.
THOSE AREN'T FINGERS. THOSE ARE SCARF TASSELLS.

Offline thelinnen

• Tepid Water Lite. Serial Moaner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #250 on: April 2, 2017, 06:54:18 pm »
I'm sure Bastian was attracted to Chicago because of it's decorated history of deep dish pizzas.
Then in the midddle out pops a smiling glen johnson pulling up his jersey to reveal a t-shirt of suarez with a text saying. "OUR SUAREZ IS A FRIEND TO ALL COLOURS!"

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #251 on: April 11, 2017, 11:17:45 am »
What is it with the BBC Sport Website and Bastian Schweinsteiger?

Every other day there seems to be a tweet and picture of him doing something or other totally underwhelming.

Today its a picture of him with Fire's owner holding up a shirt.

Great player in his day no question but who really gives a a fuck. (German people and Chicago Fire fans aside?)

Offline Aceldama

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #252 on: April 12, 2017, 04:32:31 pm »
The funny world cup question story would have generated a load of clicks and interest so they're trying to ride that wave. Obviously the BBC with the way it's funded shouldn't reduce itself to publishing rubbish and using shitty clickbait strategies but it doesn't stop them sometimes.

Offline afc tukrish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #253 on: May 29, 2017, 12:06:15 am »
Atlanta United beat NYCFC at home 3-1, fabulous burst of three wicked goals all stemming from Tata's relentless full pressing...

Christ, they're a lot of fun to watch... :wave

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #254 on: July 19, 2017, 06:46:47 pm »
Atlanta pushing nicely towards the playoffs and that 50/1 I got is looking juicy now. They are Into 14/1.

Away at Orlando at the weekend who are one place below Atlanta.  Massive if they can engineer a win there.

Offline afc tukrish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #255 on: July 19, 2017, 07:13:30 pm »
Especially since they play Orlando again eight days later at home on July 29th...

Picking up points against direct rival for playoffs would be very handy.

And yes, MLS scheduling is a complete farce... :wave

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #256 on: July 19, 2017, 07:22:57 pm »
What is it with the BBC Sport Website and Bastian Schweinsteiger?

Every other day there seems to be a tweet and picture of him doing something or other totally underwhelming.

Today its a picture of him with Fire's owner holding up a shirt.

Great player in his day no question but who really gives a a fuck. (German people and Chicago Fire fans aside?)

If he'd gotten the Ballon d'Or in 2013 I don't think anyone had complained. But that fall from grace was fast...
Linudden.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #257 on: July 22, 2017, 12:13:56 am »
Orlando v Atlanta just kicked off.

No Josef Martinez. That's a blow. Is he injured again?

Atlanta play with so much pace. Great to watch.

Offline afc tukrish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #258 on: July 22, 2017, 02:13:49 am »
Orlando v Atlanta just kicked off.

No Josef Martinez. That's a blow. Is he injured again?

Atlanta play with so much pace. Great to watch.

Screamer from Villalba...

Doctor, ordered, just what, etc... :wave

Offline LFC_1981

• Legacy Fan
  • The Glory round Anfield Road!
« Reply #259 on: July 22, 2017, 12:08:30 pm »
Chicago Fire back in action away to NYCFC. Looks like it should be a good top of the table clash. GO ON THE FIRE!

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #260 on: July 22, 2017, 12:16:48 pm »
Screamer from Villalba...

Doctor, ordered, just what, etc... :wave

Fucking hell mate your not wrong. The game was fading fast into a 0-0 when Tito hit that rocket. I woke the missus up celebrating!!

How good was Brad Guzan on his debut?  Saved Atlanta a few times first half and is very vocal as you'd expect from a man with his experience. Gonna be a great signing by United.

I had £40 on Tito to score at 3/1 too. Well happy all round with the result.  WIth a bit of last nights winnings I've just reloaded on Atlanta to win the MLS cup at 12/1.  Have now got them at 50/1, 14,1 and 12/1 now.

The only thing that worries me about Atlanta is that they may be found out defensively by the more wily teams during the playoffs. (I'm sure Atlanta will make the playoffs)

Are the playoffs 2 legs?

Also, whats the news on Martinez?  Where the hell was he last night?

Offline afc tukrish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #261 on: July 22, 2017, 01:25:00 pm »
Fucking hell mate your not wrong. The game was fading fast into a 0-0 when Tito hit that rocket. I woke the missus up celebrating!!

How good was Brad Guzan on his debut?  Saved Atlanta a few times first half and is very vocal as you'd expect from a man with his experience. Gonna be a great signing by United.

I had £40 on Tito to score at 3/1 too. Well happy all round with the result.  WIth a bit of last nights winnings I've just reloaded on Atlanta to win the MLS cup at 12/1.  Have now got them at 50/1, 14,1 and 12/1 now.

The only thing that worries me about Atlanta is that they may be found out defensively by the more wily teams during the playoffs. (I'm sure Atlanta will make the playoffs)

Are the playoffs 2 legs?

Also, whats the news on Martinez?  Where the hell was he last night?

http://www.ajc.com/sports/more-martinez-injury-for-atlanta-united/6Y654yEZZ1BqsRNtXIHhHM/

foot contusion, apparently. Possibly back next weekend for the home match...

Play-offs, of course, are complicated as fuck...

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/12/09/mls-commissioner-confirms-playoff-format-remain-unchanged-2017

"The league's current playoff format sees 12 teams qualifying, six from each conference. The four lowest seeded playoff teams in each conference kick off the postseason in single-elimination Knockout Round matches. Those are followed by home-and-home, aggregate-goal Conference Semifinals and Conference Championship series in both the East and West, where the first tiebreaker is most away goals scored in the series. The final two teams left standing go head-to-head in a one-game MLS Cup final."

Away goals in effect...

So finishing first gives you a conference semifinal against 5th or 6th, finishing second a semi against 3rd or 4th.

Yes, twelve teams qualifying is stupid.

Play-off format doesn't favor Tata's style of play, but if Atlanta qualifies, and I'm guardedly positive about that, it would be quite an accomplishment since new clubs in MLS have a notoriously difficult time even qualifying at all.

They're really a fun side to watch...

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #262 on: July 23, 2017, 02:20:08 am »
Can you hear united sing.. no
Can you hear United sing no ..no
Can you hear United sing, we cant hear a fucking thing
no . no . no

Funny as fuck the Orlando crowd signing that small time shite and Atlanta then scoring minutes later :lmao

The BT commentator then apologising for the bad language  :lmao

Offline LFC_1981

• Legacy Fan
  • The Glory round Anfield Road!
« Reply #263 on: July 24, 2017, 06:00:42 pm »
Haha love it.

On another note how Chicago Fire didn't at least come away with a point is beyond me.

Offline NHRed

• Main Stander
« Reply #264 on: July 25, 2017, 08:30:16 pm »
http://www.ajc.com/sports/more-martinez-injury-for-atlanta-united/6Y654yEZZ1BqsRNtXIHhHM/

Play-offs, of course, are complicated as fuck...

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/12/09/mls-commissioner-confirms-playoff-format-remain-unchanged-2017

"The league's current playoff format sees 12 teams qualifying, six from each conference. The four lowest seeded playoff teams in each conference kick off the postseason in single-elimination Knockout Round matches. Those are followed by home-and-home, aggregate-goal Conference Semifinals and Conference Championship series in both the East and West, where the first tiebreaker is most away goals scored in the series. The final two teams left standing go head-to-head in a one-game MLS Cup final."

Away goals in effect...

So finishing first gives you a conference semifinal against 5th or 6th, finishing second a semi against 3rd or 4th.

Yes, twelve teams qualifying is stupid.

Not saying you're wrong, but it's the offset to not having promotion and relegation.  This is an old, well-worn topic among people who follow MLS but the bottom line is that promotion / relegation is not going to happen anytime in the foreseeable future in MLS for a variety of reasons.

Offline afc tukrish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #265 on: July 26, 2017, 01:32:36 am »
Not saying you're wrong, but it's the offset to not having promotion and relegation.  This is an old, well-worn topic among people who follow MLS but the bottom line is that promotion / relegation is not going to happen anytime in the foreseeable future in MLS for a variety of reasons.

Turned down a 4 billion dollar tv contract because promotion/relegation requirement gave Don Garber's metaphorical panties a twist. I agree that it's unlikely in the near and long-term future, but that does not mean that twelve teams are necessary for an interesting play-off system.

In both cases, pandering to the owners of "franchises" is the problem...

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #266 on: July 26, 2017, 02:35:54 pm »
Dom Dwyer signed by Orlando in record breaking deal

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40728201

Hope he's not available to play on Saturday :)

Him and Larin up top should be worth a bucket load of goals

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #267 on: July 29, 2017, 06:59:11 pm »
Looking forward to the game tonight.  Massive statement of intent if Atlanta can do the double over Orlando.

Martinez out again by all accounts.  Hopefully Tito and Almiron can do the biz up front and another good performance from Guzan in nets.

Be nice to get Martinez fully fit for the playoffs should Atlanta get there.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #268 on: July 29, 2017, 10:54:28 pm »
How the fuck are Orlando leading this at HT!! Unbelievable

All United for 40 mins before that twat Kaka thumps one in with virtually his first touch.

Atlanta got to start taking their chances. 

Almiron is some player. Reckon he could get a move to Europe next season. He's a class above.

Offline afc tukrish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #269 on: July 30, 2017, 12:45:29 am »
What a fucking finish to the match... ;)

If Almiron had taken his chance, Atlanta would have won. But he's a level above, I'd guess Atlanta keeps him the rest of this year and perhaps one more year, then looks to sell him to a European side...

Offline SandyShore

• "Hodgson did a very good job". someone with low shitty standards who is probably racist
  • Kopite
  • Boooooooooooooooooooom!!
« Reply #270 on: July 30, 2017, 01:12:03 am »
Atlanta have been a breath of fresh air since coming into the MLS, definitely one of my favourite teams to watch in world football just love the way they play.

Offline afc tukrish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #271 on: August 7, 2017, 01:52:43 pm »
Nicked a late one at Sporting KC, always a tough place to play and a tough side to play against...

Coupled with Columbus, Orlando and Red Bull losing, Atlanta are slightly more comfortable in the play-off chase...

Offline NHRed

• Main Stander
« Reply #272 on: August 9, 2017, 08:03:58 pm »
Turned down a 4 billion dollar tv contract because promotion/relegation requirement gave Don Garber's metaphorical panties a twist. I agree that it's unlikely in the near and long-term future, but that does not mean that twelve teams are necessary for an interesting play-off system.

In both cases, pandering to the owners of "franchises" is the problem...

It's not the playoffs themselves - in part its about keeping down the number of dead rubber matches at the end of the season.

Offline SandyShore

• "Hodgson did a very good job". someone with low shitty standards who is probably racist
  • Kopite
  • Boooooooooooooooooooom!!
« Reply #273 on: August 9, 2017, 11:25:00 pm »
Carlos Vela will join LAFC when they enter the league in 2018.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #274 on: September 10, 2017, 09:16:18 pm »
Atlanta have been a breath of fresh air since coming into the MLS, definitely one of my favourite teams to watch in world football just love the way they play.

The boys have just gone 1 up against Dallas.

They really need to get back on track for the playoffs and get this game done and dusted.

hope I haven't jinxed them.

Offline afc tukrish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #275 on: September 10, 2017, 09:49:02 pm »

They really need to get back on track for the playoffs and get this game done and dusted.

can't finish for shit, still 1-0 at the interval, should be at least 4-0...

And the hurricane is coming through soon, too... :D

Offline rodderzzz

• Plonkah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • That's Bullshit Miss!
« Reply #276 on: September 10, 2017, 10:30:57 pm »

They have a bunch of backended home games to finish the season in the new stadium, they'll make the playoffs, but they'll struggle to win it all. The team nobody is talking about but is extremely deep is Vancouver.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #277 on: September 11, 2017, 11:33:18 am »
Nice and easy in the end for the 5 Stripes

At Home to the Rev on Wednesday night.  On paper should be another 3 points.

Still got a load of games in hand too.  Looking very good for the Playoffs at least. :)

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #278 on: September 14, 2017, 09:40:47 am »

At Home to the Rev on Wednesday night.  On paper should be another 3 points.

Wow that was a close run thing!!

:)

Offline afc tukrish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #279 on: September 14, 2017, 11:51:13 am »
Wow that was a close run thing!!

:)

Adapting to the wide open spaces in the new stadium does not appear to have been much of a problem for Tata and the boys... :wave

Eight games in 24 days will start to take its toll, though, especially when playing on turf.