Author Topic: Liverpool - SUPER PORT  (Read 6603 times)

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
Liverpool - SUPER PORT
« on: March 21, 2007, 09:11:05 am »
Link to the fantastic news re port expansion enabling Liverpool to reclaim its rightful place at the top of UK ports.

For those with half empty glasses - and there are many such miserabilists on the likes of these fora - ram this one up yer negative asses and whistle Liverpool Lullaby

;D

http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/liverpoolecho/news/echonews/tm_headline=super-port-given-green-light%26method=full%26objectid=18785631%26siteid=50061-name_page.html

Offline Ste G

• Legacy Fan
Re: Liverpool - SUPER PORT
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2007, 09:54:22 am »
This is excellent news.

I think there was talk of places like Middlesbrough and Hull getting extra money to develop their ports and while they're areas that need investment, there is no other port in the country that should have this sort of project.

Liverpool's history is the docks and shipping and it'll be great to see more ships coming back.

On a related note, the go ahead was given for a freight railway line extension not so long back increasing the capacity of our railways and also making it easier for trains to get in and out - think they previously had to reverse at one point if they wanted to change directions which added one hour onto their journeys. This link is only a quarter of a mile long but it means they don't have to turn around to continue their journey.

All great news. This is the sort of thing Liverpool needs, it's long term and self sustaining.  :)

Offline Joe Rogans Chin

• Has an uncanny grasp of Aldo's balls
  • Legacy Fan
  • I Don't Know What It Is But I Love It
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2007, 10:03:21 am »
Any investment is great news for the city,

However does make me think though, went to a anti terror briefing in work given by special branch yesterday, They said that Liverpool is rated as the third most recognisable water line in the world behind New York & Sydney (not sure about that - Hong kong & shang Hai?), but we must be in the top 5.
He said that water borne explosive attacks are a real threat & Liverpool is an obvious threat for Muslim extremists.  :(

Offline Kez

• hallowed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2007, 10:04:27 am »

However does make me think though, went to a anti terror briefing in work given by special branch yesterday, They said that Liverpool is rated as the third most recognisable water line in the world behind New York & Sydney (not sure about that - Hong kong & shang Hai?), but we must be in the top 5.
He said that water borne explosive attacks are a real threat & Liverpool is an obvious threat for Muslim extremists.  :(

Just have to convince Everton to rekindle their move down to the docks then :)

Offline Ste G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2007, 10:33:29 am »

I doubt it. Liverpool isn't as important as New York, Sydney, Hong Kong etc. so it wouldn't be that appealing to terrorists.

Might be a slight risk as behind London we're the next most important city in terms of being on a big river, but there are bigger fish to fry for the extremists I think.

Offline Joe Rogans Chin

• Has an uncanny grasp of Aldo's balls
  • Legacy Fan
  • I Don't Know What It Is But I Love It
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2007, 11:45:35 am »
I doubt it. Liverpool isn't as important as New York, Sydney, Hong Kong etc. so it wouldn't be that appealing to terrorists.

Might be a slight risk as behind London we're the next most important city in terms of being on a big river, but there are bigger fish to fry for the extremists I think.

The UK along with America & Israel are joint first targets for Muslim extremists.

It's not about Liverpool being as important as those other cities mentioned, although I do think you are under selling Liverpool world appeal, it's about the coverage an attack would generate. The guy from special branch, said with the capital of culture, Liverpool getting a cruise ship terminal & now a bigger port, Liverpool will become a target for the extremists.

I'm not making this up & it makes me shudder that MI5 & special branch are thinking along these lines.

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2007, 12:28:52 am »
This is excellent news.

I think there was talk of places like Middlesbrough and Hull getting extra money to develop their ports and while they're areas that need investment, there is no other port in the country that should have this sort of project.

Liverpool's history is the docks and shipping and it'll be great to see more ships coming back.

On a related note, the go ahead was given for a freight railway line extension not so long back increasing the capacity of our railways and also making it easier for trains to get in and out - think they previously had to reverse at one point if they wanted to change directions which added one hour onto their journeys. This link is only a quarter of a mile long but it means they don't have to turn around to continue their journey.

All great news. This is the sort of thing Liverpool needs, it's long term and self sustaining.  :)

Offline molbyscorchio

• Anny Roader
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2007, 04:43:02 pm »
Fantastic news.  We need 1,000 times that number of jobs though if we're to re-establish ourselves as a major business centre even in the UK.

Offline Dickie_Mint

• Minty Dick
  • Kopite
  • Cesky Sen!
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2007, 07:39:16 pm »
“The new terminal will bring significant economic benefits to Merseyside, creating up to 180 directly- employed jobs, with many more indirectly created jobs for the local area.”

180 jobs! whoop-de-fuckin-doo! How many fuckin manufacturing jobs have been lost in the last ten years? Instead of importing a load of shite produced in slave like labour conditions in China, how about spending the 90 million on creating manufacturing jobs in this country?

Jim Teasdale, chief executive at Mersey Maritime, the umbrella organisation for the shipping sector, said: “This is excellent news for the maritime sector on Merseyside and will further enhance Mersey Ports’ position as a key global gateway.

It's only excellent news if the stuff is being exported from the country. Unless, that is, your name happens to be fuckin Jim Teasdale who is on mega bucks for coming out with wanky phrases like "key global gateway".

Presumably he won't have lorries rumbling past his house at three or four o'clock in the morning.

Arsehole!

Offline BIGdavalad

• Major Malfunction. Yearns To Be A Crab! MOD Agony Aunt. Dulldream Believer. Is the proud owner of a one year old login time.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2007, 07:48:28 pm »
180 jobs! whoop-de-fuckin-doo! How many fuckin manufacturing jobs have been lost in the last ten years? Instead of importing a load of shite produced in slave like labour conditions in China, how about spending the 90 million on creating manufacturing jobs in this country?

And how do you force people to buy inferior quality shite for twice the price just because it's made in Britain? Until you can get British workers to work for 30p a week, the Far Eastern manufacturers will always undercut the Western companies.
Joining Betfair? Use the referral code UHHFL6VHG and we'll both get some extra cash.

All of the above came from my head unless otherwise stated. If you have been affected by the issues raised by my post, please feel free to contact us on 0800 1234567 and we will send you an information pack on manning the fuck up.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2007, 09:49:51 pm »

It's only excellent news if the stuff is being exported from the country. Unless, that is, your name happens to be fuckin Jim Teasdale who is on mega bucks for coming out with wanky phrases like "key global gateway".

Presumably he won't have lorries rumbling past his house at three or four o'clock in the morning.

Arsehole!
It's true that manufacturing was a key measurement of a sound economy at one stage, perhaps up to a few years ago. If real, long term jobs can be created, albeit not all highly paid, then this will create regional stability and economic growth. re your point about buying British - would you buy a Nissan? No, even though they're built here they are bland.
Liverpool is changing more than I ever imagined and there may be big, big projects ahead. The people need to move with the pace.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2007, 02:48:06 am »

Arsehole!

Yep - you most certainly are - and a miserabilist negative glass totally fuckin empty one at that.

:butt

Offline Kop4

• Legacy Fan
  • Can't get his avatar's boobs to jiggle.
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2007, 12:23:46 pm »

::)

As far as I know that is 180 jobs more than zero jobs.  And that ignores indirect jobs.  You do actually need to start somewhere you know.

Spend £90m on jobs in the country? ...... yeah right, that will benefit Liverpool.

What time is your next flight back to Moscow?  We will have a whipround.
A travesty of a sham of a mockery.

Offline Dickie_Mint

• Minty Dick
  • Kopite
  • Cesky Sen!
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2007, 01:47:46 pm »
What time is your next flight back to Moscow?  We will have a whipround

:D

All of these "good news" stories about Liverpool's economic regeneration remind of the joke about the bloke in hospital who gets a visit from the doctor who tells him he's got some good news and some bad news. The bad news was they had to amputate both his legs.

"What's the good news," asks the legless man?

"The fella in the next bed wants to buy your slippers," replies the doctor.

I totally agree Liverpool needs investment. But 180 jobs is a drop in the fuckin ocean. And when people start believing the hype put out by MPs and overpaid chief execs it makes me think that people have started settling for second best.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2007, 11:39:37 pm »
:D

All of these "good news" stories about Liverpool's economic regeneration remind of a joke.

I totally agree Liverpool needs investment. But 180 jobs is a drop in the fuckin ocean. And when people start believing the hype put out by MPs and overpaid chief execs it makes me think that people have started settling for second best.

Not sure why I'm bothering to reply to such a pessimistic c*nt as yourself but I'll let the facts of this investment speak.

"THE biggest development in the Port of Liverpool for almost 50 years was yesterday given the go-ahead by Transport Minister Gillian Merron.

She approved a £90m riverside terminal at Seaforth that will enable the Mersey to handle the world’s new super-ships.

“The new terminal will bring significant economic benefits to Merseyside, creating up to 180 directly- employed jobs, with many more indirectly created jobs for the local area.”

Currently, the larger container vessels are too big to enter the existing Seaforth container terminal, but can use southern UK ports.

The project is seen as crucial for the future of shipping on the Mersey by ensuring the port can compete with the rest of the world, particularly the Far East.

The scheme will almost double the container capacity at the Port of Liverpool, which is already the UK’s number one gateway for trade with North America.

Mr Allison added: “This project is a response to the growing recognition of the Port of Liverpool's strategic position as the gateway to the richest cargo-generating region of the UK outside London.”

The Department for Transport decision comes as Transport Minister Dr Stephen Ladyman welcomed a 20-year initiative, promoted by Peel, that will see a super-port created on the Mersey, embracing the port, Liverpool John Lennon Airport and the Manchester Ship Canal. All three are owned by Peel.

The Seaforth decision will allow Peel Ports Group to create the first facility capable of accommodating the new generation of larger container ships on the UK west coast and in the north of the country.

Peel Ports’ marketing director, Frank Robotham, said: “Once the new terminal is opened in Liverpool, then industry throughout the North and Midlands can enjoy the dual benefits of being able to respond to the demands of international logistics through their own local port, utilising these larger vessels which bring their own economies of scale.”

Now is there any of that you don't quite grasp or are you going to stick to your miserabilist negative rhetorical cliche ridden shite?

Liverpool grew as a port. It declined as a port facing the wrong way as folks stopped travelling on liners and  the growth of the European Community demanded port growth on the south and east coast.

At last after many years we are finally seeing crucial seeds of a revitalisation of Liverpool's trade plus the real prospect of cruise liners returning in something like regular numbers. Containers killed large scale dock labour strength many years ago. A fact of life. The numbers of direct and indirect jobs created are not as significant in this instance as the longer term benefits to Liverpool's continued renaissance which is the key to future wealth and job creation.

Now please either fuckin embrace news like this or fuck off.

Offline kopite@m45

• A frightening peek inside the mind of a Tory voter... fuck me its roomy in here
  • Legacy Fan
  • Mo mo mo, Mo Sissoko
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2007, 09:44:26 pm »
As I understand it, it is theoretically quicker to offload a ship into Liverpool, rail freight it to the Continent, than it is to sail direct into say Rotterdam. The weak link has always been that the railway system in this country is not up to it.

Is this what they mean by 'through traffic' , going on to the Continent ?

Anyway, it is surely good to see that we will be reclaiming some of the jobs lost to Southampton, Felixstowe etc all those years ago.
A legendary dickhead, no less.

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2007, 10:03:21 pm »
The scheme will almost double the container capacity at the Port of Liverpool, which is already the UK’s number one gateway for trade with North America.

For the last 400 years...

Offline Dickie_Mint

• Minty Dick
  • Kopite
  • Cesky Sen!
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2007, 02:49:23 pm »
The numbers of direct and indirect jobs created are not as significant in this instance as the longer term benefits to Liverpool's continued renaissance which is the key to future wealth and job creation.

This is almost identical to the kind of statements you would find in the Soviet press when they were talking about the "success" of another five year plan. It's not only meaningless propaganda, it's totally contradictory. Take out the blatant PR terms "renaissance" and "wealth creation" which mean fuck all, and your left with the statement:

"The numbers of direct and indirect jobs created are not as significant in this instance as the longer term benefits to Liverpool's future job creation."

That makes loads of sense.

The whole article you quote is a PR job. 90 million quids worth of investment in a city the size of Liverpool is a fuckin joke. The journalist who wrote the piece probably did so after being wined and dined by the PR bloke from Peel Ports.

Don't settle for second best.

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2007, 04:49:45 pm »
That doesn't make any sense - where would it be coming from that it'd be quicker to go to Liverpool than its intended destination in Rotterdam?

Hmm, the west coast of UK is easier to sail to than up and along through the channel to Rotterdam. The offloading of the containers has to happen somewhere, so that time is already built in to the logistics schedule. So the real debate is whether it's faster to send it by rail at 100mph+ to Europe from Liverpool docks, or sail around the southern edge of the British Isles at a slower rate of knots. :wave

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Let them hate me, as long as they respect me"
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2007, 06:37:40 pm »
Hmm, the west coast of UK is easier to sail to than up and along through the channel to Rotterdam. The offloading of the containers has to happen somewhere, so that time is already built in to the logistics schedule. So the real debate is whether it's faster to send it by rail at 100mph+ to Europe from Liverpool docks, or sail around the southern edge of the British Isles at a slower rate of knots. :wave
Makes sense to me. What doesn't make any sense, though, is why anyone would choose Liverpool over, say, Plymouth.
In a free state there should be freedom of speech and thought.
 Tiberius Caesar Augustus,
Roman Emperor & General (42 BC - 37 AD)

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2007, 10:21:12 pm »
This is almost identical to the kind of statements you would find in the Soviet press when they were talking about the "success" of another five year plan. It's not only meaningless propaganda, it's totally contradictory. Take out the blatant PR terms "renaissance" and "wealth creation" which mean fuck all, and your left with the statement:

"The numbers of direct and indirect jobs created are not as significant in this instance as the longer term benefits to Liverpool's future job creation."

That makes loads of sense.

The whole article you quote is a PR job. 90 million quids worth of investment in a city the size of Liverpool is a fuckin joke. The journalist who wrote the piece probably did so after being wined and dined by the PR bloke from Peel Ports.

Don't settle for second best.

You really do sound like a lost cause.

Nobody anywhere is claiming this as an end in itself. That would amount to little more than deluded thinking and logic - not too dissimilar to the shoite you spout.

What it is, however, is yet another meaningful link being added to a growing chain of belief that has emerged in the last few years and a very tangible investment in a city that has had its nose pressed against the window for so long but has now been given a key to the door which may yet result in the chance of the renaissance truly returning Liverpool to a place befitting its history and status.

What we as a city and a community ultimately make of this and everything else that is happening remains to be seen.

One thing is certain, however. With negative thinking miserabilists like yourself around it's not going to be easy.

Now as I said earlier - why don't you go and fuck off back to your black cloud of gloom.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2007, 10:24:04 pm by Timbo's Goals »

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2017, 08:51:56 pm »
It just goes to show how long it takes for some planned project to come to fruition , was just browsing around the Liverpool life thread and came across this from TEN years ago , it was only completed last year the port itself with the new cranes ..still no real improvement in the infrastructure to the motorway or rail networks in the area ...going by time this development took from announcement to completion everton should be in there buckshee stadium just after the 2026 commonwealth games

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2017, 04:53:51 pm »
Funny. Only yesterday, I was staring at the size of those cranes.  :o

Bloody enormous things, that fill the skyline.

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2017, 05:41:27 pm »
If we do get this trade deal with the US , I wonder wether this will have a big impact on the port

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2017, 08:10:35 am »
If we do get this trade deal with the US , I wonder wether this will have a big impact on the port

I was watching the news the other day and the ceo of peel ports said he'd hope that would be the case.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2017, 07:08:04 pm »
Funny. Only yesterday, I was staring at the size of those cranes.  :o

Bloody enormous things, that fill the skyline.

There was a small exhibition at the Maritime Museum about the new port facility. May have finished by now.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2017, 05:51:04 pm »
^ there's a great view of them from the main stand - and the river traffic, much better than the view the other way :D

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: February 4, 2017, 12:31:14 pm »
Was reading up about this the other day.  I don't think Liverpool 2 is fully online yet - I think further cranes are in the pipeline - but it's certainly a critically important step in the city's future developing economy.

But it's plainly ridiculous that the entire port is still served by just a single rail link.  That needs to change.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art