Author Topic: The iPhone  (Read 1040412 times)

Offline SMD

• Shit streamer. Can't be found by drive man.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The iPhone
« Reply #80 on: January 10, 2007, 09:54:34 pm »
Fair enough.

I want someone to get their hands on one and use it in every day life, because it is only the practicalities of the design of it that I think make it stupid.

There's another level where I personally find it pointless, but that's because I would never want to own such a device as I have no need for it at this point in time.

The size thing, looks about the same size to me, which for me would be annoying for going into my pocket... the exact reason why I opted originally for the Mini over the normal iPod 2 years ago, all my friends had the normal one and I thought it was too big/bulky and looked a bit fragile... noticing a trend ;)

Frankly I'm worried by your...'smaller' tastes. :-X :P
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #81 on: January 10, 2007, 11:15:54 pm »
I fail to see what is so revolutionary about this.

And are those really the gig sizes, because that's really worthless if so. I'll stick to my RAZR phone and Video iPod, thanks!

Also, they need a better name.

Edit: I'm not the only one who doesn't like the name

SAN FRANCISCO - Cisco Systems Inc. said Wednesday it is suing Apple Inc. in federal court over Apple's use of Cisco's registered iPhone trademark for its new handheld device.

ADVERTISEMENT

Cisco has owned the trademark on the name "iPhone" since 2000, when it acquired InfoGear Technology Corp., which originally registered the name.

And three weeks ago, Cisco's Linksys division put the trademark to use, releasing an Internet-enabled phone called "iPhone" that uses the increasingly popular Voice over Internet Protocol, or VoIP.

On Tuesday, Apple unveiled the iPhone, its "game-changing" touch-screen-controlled cell phone device that plays music, surfs the Web and delivers voicemail and e-mail.

"Cisco entered into negotiations with Apple in good faith after Apple repeatedly asked permission to use Cisco's iPhone name," said Mark Chandler, Cisco senior vice president and general counsel, in a statement. "There is no doubt that Apple's new phone is very exciting, but they should not be using our trademark without our permission."

Cisco is seeking injunctive relief to prevent Apple from copying Cisco's iPhone trademark.

"Today's iPhone is not tomorrow's iPhone. The potential for convergence of the home phone, cell phone, work phone and PC is limitless, which is why it is so important for us to protect our brand," Chandler added.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2007, 11:25:33 pm by RedFerLife »
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: January 10, 2007, 11:31:20 pm »
And are those really the gig sizes, because that's really worthless if so. I'll stick to my RAZR phone and Video iPod, thanks!

I think it'll only 4 & 8 gb because they'll put flash media in it rather than a hdd.

Probably wrong about this, but wouldn't the fact that this is a mobile phone effect the hdd if they were to put one in it? cos it's magnetic, and the phone signal can cause problems?

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: January 10, 2007, 11:44:00 pm »
You are far more techno savvy than me!

They should have left the phone off until flash is up to tens of gigs. I think in trying to outdo the Zune they made a mistake. First in not realising they didn;t need to outdo the Zune.

Offline SMD

• Shit streamer. Can't be found by drive man.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: January 11, 2007, 06:10:45 am »
I think it'll only 4 & 8 gb because they'll put flash media in it rather than a hdd.

Probably wrong about this, but wouldn't the fact that this is a mobile phone effect the hdd if they were to put one in it? cos it's magnetic, and the phone signal can cause problems?

Samsung have a mobile that has an HDD, so it can be done.
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

Offline JP-65

• FA/UEFA/FIFA are not fit for purpose
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #85 on: January 11, 2007, 07:05:55 am »
You are far more techno savvy than me!

They should have left the phone off until flash is up to tens of gigs. I think in trying to outdo the Zune they made a mistake. First in not realising they didn;t need to outdo the Zune.

There has been some significant breakthroughs in flash technology recently, won't be long before flash will be available in much larger sizes

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Semper in excremento, sole profundum qui variat.
  • Super Title: Coming soon! Official Launch May 2008
« Reply #86 on: January 11, 2007, 08:38:10 am »
Matt
I bought my wife an IMac and a Blackberry over xmas.

Blackberry doesn't sync with Mac either, but I found a 3rd party software that does this.  I'd think something would be out there to enable you to do this.

Yes it does. I was setting up my bosses new one for his powerbook the other day.

I'm no longer on RAWK, but if you need to contact me about anything, you can email me on nigelmorrison@connectfree.co.uk

Offline GBF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The only religion with a God that you can touch!
« Reply #87 on: January 11, 2007, 09:35:03 am »
I fail to see what is so revolutionary about this.

Also, they need a better name.

Edit: I'm not the only one who doesn't like the name

SAN FRANCISCO - Cisco Systems Inc. said Wednesday it is suing Apple Inc. in federal court over Apple's use of Cisco's registered iPhone trademark for its new handheld device.

ADVERTISEMENT

Cisco has owned the trademark on the name "iPhone" since 2000, when it acquired InfoGear Technology Corp., which originally registered the name.

And three weeks ago, Cisco's Linksys division put the trademark to use, releasing an Internet-enabled phone called "iPhone" that uses the increasingly popular Voice over Internet Protocol, or VoIP.

On Tuesday, Apple unveiled the iPhone, its "game-changing" touch-screen-controlled cell phone device that plays music, surfs the Web and delivers voicemail and e-mail.

"Cisco entered into negotiations with Apple in good faith after Apple repeatedly asked permission to use Cisco's iPhone name," said Mark Chandler, Cisco senior vice president and general counsel, in a statement. "There is no doubt that Apple's new phone is very exciting, but they should not be using our trademark without our permission."

Cisco is seeking injunctive relief to prevent Apple from copying Cisco's iPhone trademark.

"Today's iPhone is not tomorrow's iPhone. The potential for convergence of the home phone, cell phone, work phone and PC is limitless, which is why it is so important for us to protect our brand," Chandler added.

Lets hope Cisco put a dent in Apple's marketing of the Iphone :D

Also the Gordies have been say AyeeePhone for ages :D
01111001 01101111 01110101 00100111 01101100 01101100 00100000 01101110 01100101 01110110 01100101 01110010 00100000 01110111 01100001 01101100 01101011 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101111 01101110 01100101

hoonin

« Reply #88 on: January 11, 2007, 09:49:19 am »
Cisco will settle for a nice handsome cheque from Jobs and it'll all be forgotten.

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Semper in excremento, sole profundum qui variat.
  • Super Title: Coming soon! Official Launch May 2008
« Reply #89 on: January 11, 2007, 10:09:26 am »
Cisco will settle for a nice handsome cheque from Jobs and it'll all be forgotten.

as they fucking well should.

the iAnything name is pretty much recognised as an apple branding, (in much the same way if you seen an easyBog, you'd think it was Stelios) and they're cheeky fuckers for even trying to get away with it in the first place. Apple should sue the arse of them, same as Stelios does to anyone who even tries an easyBusiness.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2002/11/12/easyart_com_to_face_stelios/

http://www.out-law.com/page-7023

and he's not alone in sueing to protect his corporations image :D

http://www.newswireless.net/index.cfm/article/1980
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 10:12:38 am by nidgemo »
I'm no longer on RAWK, but if you need to contact me about anything, you can email me on nigelmorrison@connectfree.co.uk

hoonin

« Reply #90 on: January 11, 2007, 10:14:26 am »
I agree, but cant blame them for wanting a slice of the pie. It is a bit cheeky, but they have a legal case. They'd be foolish not to follow up on it.

Offline mulfella

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hedgehogs are boss
« Reply #91 on: January 11, 2007, 10:30:09 am »
as they fucking well should.

the iAnything name is pretty much recognised as an apple branding, (in much the same way if you seen an easyBog, you'd think it was Stelios) and they're cheeky fuckers for even trying to get away with it in the first place. Apple should sue the arse of them, same as Stelios does to anyone who even tries an easyBusiness.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2002/11/12/easyart_com_to_face_stelios/

http://www.out-law.com/page-7023

and he's not alone in sueing to protect his corporations image :D

http://www.newswireless.net/index.cfm/article/1980

True, but for how long? Certainly over the last few years, but if it is true that Cisco registered it 7 years ago (thats what I heard), then its certainly true that the iThing wasn't guite so ubiquitously associated with Apple at that point.

Its only over the last 3 or 4 with the resounding success of the iPod that the association has really been made.
A place full of grammer Nazi's?
'Grammar' and no apostrophe in 'nazis'.

hoonin

« Reply #92 on: January 11, 2007, 10:38:57 am »
the iAnything name is pretty much recognised as an apple branding, (in much the same way if you seen an easyBog, you'd think it was Stelios)

I dont think theres actually a case to argue for that, otherwise other companies such as iRiver an Cowon (iAudio) would be fucked.

You could also argue that Cisco have a much greatet claim to the name iPhone, given they have been a player in the IP Telephony market for a considerable period of time. Apple have zero presence in the Telephony markets, AFAIK.

Bit of a flimsy piece of brand protection if you are basing everythning around the letter 'i'.

Offline Armin

• Reformed RAWK Traitor
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm up on the pavement
  • Super Title: Keep off the Grass!
« Reply #93 on: January 11, 2007, 10:58:04 am »
Apparently Bert, Ernie and Grover from Sesame Street are next in court after Apple found out last weeks program was brought to you by the letter 'i'. Big Bird turned states evidence and copped a plea bargain whilst the Count and Cookie monster are on the run.
Well, I don't know what it is, but there's definitely something going on upstairs

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: January 11, 2007, 11:14:02 am »
nidegemo the ultimate mac zealot

how dare they use the letter i

APPLE OWN I
STFU and agree with me.

Offline bradigor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Henrik Zetterpig
    • Pucks Across The Pond
  • Super Title: Loves Ron Dennis
« Reply #95 on: January 11, 2007, 11:25:19 am »
Victoria Beckham vs Peterborough FC

hoonin

« Reply #96 on: January 11, 2007, 12:11:34 pm »
Victoria Beckham vs Peterborough FC

Who won that in the end? Please tell me it wasn't that skinny talentless waste of air?

Offline Armin

• Reformed RAWK Traitor
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm up on the pavement
« Reply #97 on: January 11, 2007, 12:14:59 pm »
Who won that in the end? Please tell me it wasn't that skinny talentless waste of air?

Since when did Pennant play for Peterborough?

???
Well, I don't know what it is, but there's definitely something going on upstairs

Offline Captain Haddock

• No New Posts. Ever.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #98 on: January 11, 2007, 12:32:09 pm »
Er... is it only me who thinks this is shit?

And no, Nidge, it's not cos it's made by Apple, I just find these claims from Jobs absolute bollocks, and as Matt says, Microsoft have been doing those smartphones for a while, and I wouldn't have one of theirs either.

They've re-invented fuck all, just crammed things into one device, something that other companies have been doing for a while, and then put a touchscreen it... ooh, I'm so... unimpressed.

The phone I have now does most of those things, and it's not a smartphone nor did it cost a fortune.

Anyone who pays the ridiculous premium to own one of these not-so-'revolutionary devices' is a fucking idiot.

Er.....you were the same person that started a new thread saying how you couldn't wait for your end of month pay cheque so you could buy a new hard disk, and how you excited you were about getting a new disk drive for your PC.

Not suggesting that's incredibly sad but.....

And swearing fo the sake of swearing, doesn't make you look hard.

Or cool.

Offline bradigor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Henrik Zetterpig
    • Pucks Across The Pond
« Reply #99 on: January 11, 2007, 12:33:01 pm »

I believe it was her.

I am also fairly sure she was just trying to stop Peterborough trademarking the name themselves, rather than trying to stop Peterborough using it. It was twisted and shaped by the media.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 12:36:44 pm by bradigor »

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: January 11, 2007, 12:35:59 pm »
Er.....you were the same person that started a new thread saying how you couldn't wait for your end of month pay cheque so you could buy a new hard disk, and how you excited you were about getting a new disk drive for your PC.

Not suggesting that's incredibly sad but.....

Or cool.

I'm glad you take an active interest in my postings on RAWK, it means a lot.

hoonin

« Reply #101 on: January 11, 2007, 12:36:16 pm »

Or cool.

Oh bollocks. I'm fucked :-\

Agggh. Oops. Sorry.

Offline bradigor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Henrik Zetterpig
    • Pucks Across The Pond
« Reply #102 on: January 11, 2007, 12:38:07 pm »

I do, but I only want you for your camera ;) ;D

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #103 on: January 11, 2007, 12:42:47 pm »
The main issue with this phone for many users will be the effectiveness and the useability of the hardware and software to operate it as a simple phone. In all other respects it seems like a fairly common or garden smart phone, and useability is the main problem with smart phones.

I used to carry a HP iPaq PDA, a Nokia mobile and an iPod around with me, until I picked up an Orange SPV M600 earlier last year. I've got issues with it regarding the processor speed, and it very occasionally freezes and drops a call. On the plus side it syncs with Outlook (which runs my life for me), it has Windows Media Player and a SD card slot, so I have a 2Gb card with loads of albums to listen to, and which is easy to change by dragging and dropping from My Music folder on my PC onto the card. It has wireless and Bluetooth, camera, etc, and loads of stuff I don't use.

The main problem with it is getting used to the way the phone element operates - it's not as simple as a straightforward mobile, and as it's easier to use the stylus, texting can also be more fiddly. The user interface is more time consuming than the 1-9 digit keyboard on a normal phone, and as it uses Windowes Mobile the menu system is more like a PDA than even relatively complicated pure phones.

However, on balance it's a great piece of kit, and I'm more than happy with it. For me, the iPhone is covetable purely on how it looks, rather than what it does.

Offline Armin

• Reformed RAWK Traitor
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm up on the pavement
« Reply #104 on: January 11, 2007, 12:46:02 pm »
Like a frigid supermodel?

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
« Reply #105 on: January 11, 2007, 12:47:49 pm »

Offline Armin

• Reformed RAWK Traitor
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm up on the pavement
« Reply #106 on: January 11, 2007, 12:56:49 pm »
iWould.

I do covet the iphone, I admit it. I just couldn't justify the purchase and really all these combined devices seem like a compromise. If I want to shoot video I've a DV cam that will give far better results. If I want to listen to music ditto for the mp3 player. It would be nice to unite all the functions but the killer question has to be how the phone itself functions as a phone. That's what put me off the N70 and until the iphone is shown to have nailed down the same level of functionality in that regard as my aged but trusty Nokia 6100 I'm not really interested.

Although if the chicks dig it I'll get one anyway.

Offline Captain Haddock

• No New Posts. Ever.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #107 on: January 11, 2007, 01:02:02 pm »

You're welcome.

Oh bollocks. I'm fucked :-\

Agggh. Oops. Sorry.

You're different - you swear naturally.

Disk drive bird doesn't.

Offline MichaelA

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
« Reply #108 on: January 11, 2007, 01:02:28 pm »
You're welcome.

You're different - you swear naturally.

Disk drive bird doesn't.

Breathe out, relax, it's only the internet. :wave

Offline Captain Haddock

• No New Posts. Ever.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #109 on: January 11, 2007, 01:13:30 pm »

Disk drive bird still doesn't swear naturally.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: January 11, 2007, 01:28:44 pm »
Disk drive bird still doesn't swear naturally.

No, I don't, I'm obviously contriving each and every one of my posts in an effort to look 'hard' on an internet forum, so people like Captain Haddock will accept me.

And now, I've been found out, so I must seek pastures new.

It's heartbreaking, it really is.

Offline bradigor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Henrik Zetterpig
    • Pucks Across The Pond
« Reply #111 on: January 11, 2007, 01:32:54 pm »
No, I don't, I'm obviously contriving each and every one of my posts in an effort to look 'hard' on an internet forum, so people like Captain Haddock will accept me.

And now, I've been found out, so I must seek pastures new.

It's heartbreaking, it really is.

Sarcasm however come ever so naturally :lmao

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: January 11, 2007, 01:38:30 pm »
Apple own 'i'? Bollocks. They're trying to rip-off Sisco, just as they did The Beatles!

Offline Sinos

• itis
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: January 11, 2007, 01:41:19 pm »
Cisco trademarked the "iPhone" in '99.

THat's 5-6 years before Apple even considered making phones
My ass cheeks clapped together louder than an excited Latino man with maracas... I had just laid the mightiest fudge dragon ever known to mankind in its very own water bath.

http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/tybuq/did_you_ever_think_you_were_going_to_die_from_a/

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: January 11, 2007, 01:43:28 pm »
Cisco trademarked the "iPhone" in '99.

THat's 5-6 years before Apple even considered making phones

Most of their software is iSomething, though isn't it?

When did the iMac first appear?

Offline bradigor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Henrik Zetterpig
    • Pucks Across The Pond
« Reply #115 on: January 11, 2007, 01:45:02 pm »

98 I think sure they had them my 1st year at college

Offline Sinos

• itis
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: January 11, 2007, 01:45:48 pm »

late 1998
My ass cheeks clapped together louder than an excited Latino man with maracas... I had just laid the mightiest fudge dragon ever known to mankind in its very own water bath.

http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/tybuq/did_you_ever_think_you_were_going_to_die_from_a/

Offline Devastatin' Dave

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: January 11, 2007, 01:46:26 pm »
This bloke makes phones? And I just thought he was a lyrical genius.

Online TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #118 on: January 11, 2007, 01:47:12 pm »

Surely the leg hair removal cream must have a case then?

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: January 11, 2007, 02:01:52 pm »
98 I think sure they had them my 1st year at college

Hmm, guess it depends on how much Cisco want to push it then.

Apple can argue the 'i' prefix is synonomous with their products, but it's not like Cisco ran out and registered the name on the back of speculation or the success of the iPod.

Surely the leg hair removal cream must have a case then?

I'm sure you already know Immac is now Veet, to avoid this obvious confusion ;)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 02:03:56 pm by Claire. »