Author Topic: Old photos of and around Liverpool  (Read 834711 times)

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Would welcome a premature one, apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Old photos of and around Liverpool
« Reply #2160 on: January 1, 2015, 10:28:16 am »
A few interesting ones from CW on his latest update. The 1st Great Charlotte St one in particular; bloody hell 1960 and I can't recall it at all.

http://streetsofliverpool.co.uk/farewell-to-2014/#comments
Plenty well, no pray; big bellyache, heap God

Offline only6times

• a night. Founder of the Breck Road Brasses mediation service. Owner of an out of control Fat Finger.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2161 on: January 1, 2015, 10:49:08 am »
There may even be one knocking around of your kid in the 40's :)
haha. Mike had mentioned you had met our Terry.
bitter,not me.a granddad,but I'm not even 40

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2162 on: January 2, 2015, 12:57:16 pm »
A few interesting ones from CW on his latest update. The 1st Great Charlotte St one in particular; bloody hell 1960 and I can't recall it at all.

http://streetsofliverpool.co.uk/farewell-to-2014/#comments
The building about halfway down Great Charlotte street looks amazing, anyone know what happened to it?
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2163 on: January 2, 2015, 04:37:15 pm »
The building about halfway down Great Charlotte street looks amazing, anyone know what happened to it?
  Great Charlotte Street c1960

Looking down Great Charlotte Street, the sandstone building on the right is the Fish Market, designed by John Foster as an adjunct to the main St John’s Market of 1822. Beyond, to the left of the Royal Court, is the Stork Hotel in Queen Square. In the foreground, I was unaware that Liverpool had a branch of Kendall’s – I had assumed that it was a Manchester shop only.

As shown on the 1906 map below.

All of this area from Elliot Street going North, was cleared in the 1960s to make way for the new St.John's  Precinct.

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2164 on: January 2, 2015, 09:52:41 pm »
So there were technically two fish markets, an ordinary one and a wholesalers' one?
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline L12

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2165 on: January 2, 2015, 10:40:59 pm »
Different entrances and levels by the look of it, steps for retail and drive in for wholesale
« Last Edit: January 2, 2015, 11:24:11 pm by L12 »

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2166 on: January 7, 2015, 12:30:56 pm »
This link to Yo has a bunch of markets, the one at No.12 is another of Great Charlotte street fish market, but it doesn't seem right to me.

Apropos of nothing really, but In the 1860 directory there is a fish dealer named Henry Rotton!

http://www.yoliverpool.com/forum/showthread.php?51233-Old-Liverpool-Markets-plus-other-images-tagged-with-market

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2167 on: January 11, 2015, 01:43:14 pm »
Liverpool Central above ground station, 1971

Exchange Street station, 1970s

« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 01:49:29 pm by Red Beret »
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2168 on: January 20, 2015, 12:11:06 am »
http://www.buzzfeed.com/jobarrow/liverpool-then-and-now#.ax6VGB8nR

My favourite is the "slider" image of St John's gardens, where you can flip between the trees lining the park and then see them as newly planted saplings

Popcorn's Art

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2169 on: January 29, 2015, 11:55:35 pm »
There's a beautiful Edwardian building here that's going to be demolished, Gibson House.  It sits on the Mersey overlooking your side of things but, yeah it's had an application for it to be demolished put in to the council.  We're simply after a signature or three from you lovely people to present to Wirral Council when they make their decision on it in a week or so.

https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/save-andrew-gibson-house-in-wirral

Please help.  Ta.
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2170 on: January 30, 2015, 01:22:58 am »
There's a beautiful Edwardian building here that's going to be demolished, Gibson House.  It sits on the Mersey overlooking your side of things but, yeah it's had an application for it to be demolished put in to the council.  We're simply after a signature or three from you lovely people to present to Wirral Council when they make their decision on it in a week or so.

Please help.  Ta.

Signed and published

Popcorn's Art

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2171 on: January 30, 2015, 12:48:14 pm »
Signed and published
Cheers sausage!  :thumbup
My Twitter

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2172 on: January 30, 2015, 05:25:48 pm »

Signed.

Be a crying shame if a lovely building like that can't be saved. For more bloody waterfront flats.

I've been fuming this week as they've finally put up the flats at the corner of the bottom of Parliament St and Sefton Street near the Cains, and now my lovely view of the Mersey walking down Parly at sunset has been pretty much halved.

Fuck off with all your flats, developers. How about building some houses instead, preferably ones that aren't fucking pygmy proportions? Eh?

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #2173 on: January 30, 2015, 05:47:23 pm »

Please help.  Ta.

signed with pleasure mate....absolutely criminal that they're considering flattening it.....
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #2174 on: January 30, 2015, 06:54:26 pm »

Please help.  Ta.
Done mate.....way too much of the areas heritage already been in the name of progress.
Exercise is to the body what reading is to the mind.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2175 on: January 30, 2015, 09:08:20 pm »
Done mate.....way too much of the areas heritage already been in the name of progress.
We lost a Grade II listed building in the middle of Central Park to, well let's just say it was a 'mysterious fire'.  The history of the area gets torn up bit by bit and it's by stealth we're going to lost some of the proud buildings this side of the Mersey, and there aren't many left.  They're no Three Graces but still vanishing pretty sharpish; we've lost Woodside station, New Brighton Tower, New Brighton Pier, New Brighton Baths, various cinemas, school buildings, churches... progress isn't always progress.

One of the reasons the company are saying that it needs to come down is asbestos.  Bearing in mind that, if they pull it down, they'll have to remove the asbestos anyway.
My Twitter

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2176 on: March 21, 2015, 07:25:43 pm »
Thought I'd wake this thread up, some nice pics here:

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/whats-on/arts-culture-news/liverpools-bluecoat-show-images-1970s-8876641

I was weirded out by the layour of the little water bit in St James Cemetary, it's obviously been changed since that photo was taken. A load of the slabs are lethal at the moment, moving underfoot when you walk round it.

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2177 on: March 21, 2015, 08:10:37 pm »
Thought I'd wake this thread up, some nice pics here:

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/whats-on/arts-culture-news/liverpools-bluecoat-show-images-1970s-8876641

I was weirded out by the layour of the little water bit in St James Cemetary, it's obviously been changed since that photo was taken. A load of the slabs are lethal at the moment, moving underfoot when you walk round it.
I went to school in the Inny, over the road (81-85) and used to hang out in St.James Cem a lot of our dinner times.

Used to be fun in those water pools, especially in the winter with an inch of ice over the top of them.  ;)

Have shoved, or been shoved into them, more time than I care to remember.  :D

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #2178 on: March 21, 2015, 09:32:09 pm »
I grew up off Lodge Lane, we left  circa 1974 for the Shangri-la that was Skelmersdale...will look forward to see the Bluecoat exhibition.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2179 on: April 22, 2015, 11:44:17 pm »
The Curzon in Old Swan.
See here for more pics.

I was passing through Town last Saturday and on the way out drove past the Carlton in Tuebrook. I'd stopped at the lights so managed to have a good look.
Tragic. The place where I saw my first film in about 1958 or so as a nipper.
It looks like it's been deliberately left to rot, and it has done.

I've just been told this is in the process of being pulled down to make way for a new Home Bargains.  Criminal.  :(

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/nostalgia/look-historic-pictures-liverpool-cinema-8843105

« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 11:48:26 pm by Red Beret »

Popcorn's Art

Offline Fat Scouser

• Trolley Dolly with a 54 2/3 inch waist - last seen shopping on Scottie Road for speedos. Is just a bit.....you know.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2180 on: April 23, 2015, 12:10:22 am »

Exchange Street station, 1970s

Great memories of that place. My great Grandfather used to live right behind Exchange, Leeds St. He was ancient, well into his hundreds when he died. Always had a roaring fire going even in summer, used to make us kids sit next to it to keep warm in the middle of July. Then he'd pick out he's bets and send us the bookies to put them on for him. He used to write in that dead old squiggly way that the aul ones did then. He'd sit there, glasses on, with a magnifying glass and one of them little key ring torches, picking out bets, smoking woodbines and spitting huge yokkers on the fire.

PS... he'd give me a few coppers for running the bookies. There was a huge old Victorian machine/press thing in Victoria. Just wondering if anyone else remembers it. It looked like a huge scales, big massive dial with letters on. Levers moved a big arrow/finger to the letters, and another lever pressed the letter into a piece of metal. It used to make dog tag looking things. It sort of fascinated me as a kid. I love the technology, but I miss all that aul shite, an all. Like the pipes in Blackers. I know a few of the aul arses remember them.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 12:15:48 am by Fat Scouser »
"A peasant you are. A peasant you will remain. And we shall use all our wealth and power, to make your lot even worse and keep you exactly where you are, Bondage!"    The Boy King, Richard II, after  putting down the The Peasants Revolt in 1381.

http://misterinobody.weebly.com/

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2181 on: April 25, 2015, 02:17:45 pm »
Not sure if posted already, but randomly came across some old maps from the 1840s onwards:
http://maps.nls.uk/os/6inch-england-and-wales/

Some of Liverpool among them, you need to look for the Lancashire sheets obviously.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline Bootle

• Legacy Fan
  • Prove that we live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2182 on: April 25, 2015, 02:31:31 pm »
Something a bit different that may be of interest to readers of this fine thread- Recollections of Old Liverpool by a Nonagenarian. Published in 1863 by a then 93 year old, remembering Liverpool throughout their life.  Also available for about a tenner online if you'd prefer the book.

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/21324/21324-h/21324-h.htm

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2183 on: April 26, 2015, 11:37:11 am »
If you're into maps try this link (I may have posted this before, not sure), you can download each one and zoom in on them. There's loads of them and can be pieced together like a jigsaw.

http://www.bl.uk/search/og/search?q=liverpool&Go.x=9&Go.y=13&Go=Submit&output=xml_no_dtd&filter=0&proxystylesheet=public_onlinegallery&client=public_onlinegallery&site=public_onlinegallery
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 11:39:21 am by Tsar Kastik »

Offline vicgill

• "do the simple things but do them well"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Football is the simplest game in the world son,
« Reply #2184 on: April 27, 2015, 01:45:45 pm »
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and making yourself available to receive a pass, it is really that simple"

"Friend, mourn not, though he premature departs, his wisdom marches on within our hearts"

RIP Ray Osbourne, comrade, epic swindler, and Internet Terrorist Extraordinaire.

Offline eAyeAddio

• Legacy Fan
  • The last Kremlin-esque figure in The Main Stand...
« Reply #2185 on: April 28, 2015, 02:23:23 am »
This photo brings back happy memories of growing up in Liverpool in the 60s.........
They laugh at me because I'm different.
I laugh at them because they are all the same.....

Offline mersey_paradiso

• Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool's where I belong
« Reply #2186 on: June 9, 2015, 08:07:25 pm »
Don't know if these have already been posted but I'll stick em up.

Liverpool , just before I was born ...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/3iAQrAZasa8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/3iAQrAZasa8</a>

and Anfield in the 60's...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/iCAHS8-3ng4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/iCAHS8-3ng4</a>

and 70's

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/0MWMNlQzlFA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/0MWMNlQzlFA</a>
RIP Alex Jarmay .                                           Justice  for the 97 YNWA

Mr Alex Ferguson on Anfield after St Etienne 77 : "I didn't walk away from the ground after the game, I floated out. I had been caught up in the most exciting football atmosphere I have ever experienced...these Liverpool fans support with PASSION"

Offline sonny crockett

• Been highly respecting A@A since 2007, honestly, thinks the world of him!
  • Kopite
« Reply #2187 on: June 10, 2015, 09:31:28 pm »
I've just been told this is in the process of being pulled down to make way for a new Home Bargains.  Criminal.  :(

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/nostalgia/look-historic-pictures-liverpool-cinema-8843105

Have any photos been made public of what the new Home Bargain will look like?

St. Oswalds in Old Swan was such a big memory of my childhood. My mum would take me shopping there rather than to town.

Offline sonny crockett

• Been highly respecting A@A since 2007, honestly, thinks the world of him!
  • Kopite
« Reply #2188 on: June 10, 2015, 09:37:42 pm »

I could only find this. Bland but I suppose it could be worse.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2189 on: June 12, 2015, 09:43:58 am »
These replacements are all the same mate.  Bland boxes of girders and glass, with maybe a bit of brickwork to make it look "classy" and as though somebody put some thought into the design.  It's purely functional.

My mum used to do most of our shopping in Old Swan as well when we were younger.

Popcorn's Art

Offline jimbo196843

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #2190 on: June 14, 2015, 11:04:32 pm »
These replacements are all the same mate.  Bland boxes of girders and glass, with maybe a bit of brickwork to make it look "classy" and as though somebody put some thought into the design.  It's purely functional.

My mum used to do most of our shopping in Old Swan as well when we were younger.
did she go to the original Fruitique Boutique

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2191 on: June 15, 2015, 12:49:57 am »
did she go to the original Fruitique Boutique

Oh yeah, I was dragged in there plenty of times!

Popcorn's Art

Offline jimbo196843

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #2192 on: June 15, 2015, 06:24:01 am »
Oh yeah, I was dragged in there plenty of times!
My nan owned a florist called butlers on the same row of shops,by the fire station. Memories!!

Offline alfonso

• Simply adores orange squash. With not one, not two either, but yea verily with three, that is correct, THREE ice cubes therein! Do not forget his straw though.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Salford - crime capital of England
« Reply #2193 on: July 23, 2015, 04:55:00 am »
"I know Liverpool fans care more about their club's success than the national team." Rafael Benitez

"Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second." Bob Paisley

"When zonal marking goes wrong, the system is blamed. When man-to-man marking fails, an individual is blamed and the system goes uncriticised." A LFC fan talking sense

Offline The Fletcher Memorial

• Feels mildly violat.................. ed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reality is hard to find
« Reply #2194 on: July 24, 2015, 01:24:04 pm »
Liverpool Central above ground station, 1971

See them, look at the light. I can't be alone here in thinking that there was something "belonging" to the 70's about the characteristics of the light back then? I could have identified the time they were taken, not by the cars or the train, but by the light. Summers were summers back then, music was proper music, and yes, light was erm....70's light. I miss it.

Maybe I'm chatting complete shite.  ;D
The sky does not know of east or of west;
it is in the minds of men where such distinctions are made, and then they believe them to be true.

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #2195 on: July 24, 2015, 11:30:45 pm »
Maybe I'm chatting complete shite.  ;D
Nah :)

Look at those cars. Makes me want to get one and do it up immaculately and drive it around on a sunday for no apparent reason. Something completely unfashionable, like a Maxi or an Avenger or a Vauxhall Viva or a Hillman Hunter. Just to preserve a little bit of the 70's.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2196 on: August 12, 2015, 03:02:17 pm »
Just been to see the Frank Green exhibition in St George's Hall.  Can't recommend it highly enough.  Some incredible pieces of art showing parts of Liverpool all the way back to the early 70s.  Like the Anfield Methodist church:

The exhibition is only £2.50 to get in so it's well worth the visit.  Here's his website where you can buy prints of his work: http://frankgreen.co.uk/

Popcorn's Art

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2197 on: August 16, 2015, 11:10:17 pm »
Nah :)

Look at those cars. Makes me want to get one and do it up immaculately and drive it around on a sunday for no apparent reason. Something completely unfashionable, like a Maxi or an Avenger or a Vauxhall Viva or a Hillman Hunter. Just to preserve a little bit of the 70's.

Was in Speke/Hunts Cross today picking my wife up from her mates and saw an old Marina driving along Hillfoot Ave - surprised to see one of those old bangers still going.

My Dad used to work for Triumph, I went to both No1 and No2 factories as a kid, walked along the TR7 line when they were on the 17 week strike. The Asda is now on the site of where No2 used to stand and I think the estate her mate lives is built on the old No1 factory.

Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2198 on: August 19, 2015, 08:11:22 pm »
Interesting to share this, given the discussion on explosions after what happened in China earlier this week.  Here's a link regarding the SS Malakand, which exploded in May 1941 in Liverpool.  A burning barrage balloon landed on the vessel, which subsequently caught fire and led to the explosion of a thousand tons of shells and bombs.  Incredibly though, only four people were killed.

http://www.liverpoolpicturebook.com/2013/01/TheSSMalakand.html

Popcorn's Art

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2199 on: September 3, 2015, 08:14:06 pm »

where's that from mate? would love a higher resolution copy