Author Topic: Travel sickness pills  (Read 2160 times)

Offline LFCsnoopz

• Legacy Fan
Travel sickness pills
« on: October 20, 2008, 05:32:09 pm »
i've got to meet someone tomorrow morning about a job, only thing is the only work he said on the phone he has available involves going round in a truck and such for quite a while i'd imagine, and i get travel sick

i'm 18 and feel i need to do something with my life, even if the job is crap, at least it's something. anyway i was wondering if these pills actually help, and what the best ones are?

not got good memories of travel sickness pills, they made me feel worse (when i was 10)

also are they okay to take with anti-biotics? ta.

Offline Kez

• hallowed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Travel sickness pills
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 05:36:22 pm »
I get Boots own brand travel sickness tablets. I've never had any problems with them and they let me read in the car. Nip into Boots pharmacy and ask them. I don't think they're particularly expensive either. The pharmacist should be able to advise about taking them with antibiotics but I can't think why it'd be a problem.

Well done on the job thing as well :)

Offline ElMagico

• hato with a rabbito. Abrocadabro!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 06:22:54 pm »
It's all pyschological.
If someone gave you a tablet which was actually a sherbet sweet and you didn't know and took it for a travel sickness pill then you would be fine.

Offline LFCsnoopz

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 06:27:39 pm »
I get Boots own brand travel sickness tablets. I've never had any problems with them and they let me read in the car. Nip into Boots pharmacy and ask them. I don't think they're particularly expensive either. The pharmacist should be able to advise about taking them with antibiotics but I can't think why it'd be a problem.

Well done on the job thing as well :)

my mums just found some boots travel calm tablets, i think they're what you meant.

side effects seem a bit extreme! drowziness, dry mouth, constipation, vomiting (!), disturbed vision, dry skin and slow followed by rapid heart rate with palpitations

edit: that was rude of me, thanks for the well done  :D
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 06:32:11 pm by LFCsnoopz »

Offline MadMusician

• Kemlynite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 06:40:14 pm »
Hi yes was going to recommend the Boots own brand as well.  Helped me spend eight hours on a coach.

Offline LFCsnoopz

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 06:44:05 pm »
it just ladies - and me, that gets travel sick? :(  :-[

if you can survive 8 hours on a coach with them they should be okay, just getting on a coach makes me feel sick, i can't stand the smell.  :wave

(smiley attack in that post almost)

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2008, 06:56:56 pm »
Ginger has been known to help with motion sickness. The taste can be horrible though so could take it with a bit of honey and water to wash it down.
It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3

Offline kingmonkey007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2008, 06:58:57 pm »
It's all pyschological.
If someone gave you a tablet which was actually a sherbet sweet and you didn't know and took it for a travel sickness pill then you would be fine.

this is true, it was proven on tv, people who get travel sickness were given different tablets to see which was the best, they were told this one is the cheapest no name brand, when relay it was said to be the best on the market but since the people were told it was the cheapest they said it did nothing to stop them feeling sick.
Then they were given a vitamin C tablet and told it was a new high end scientific breakthrough for people with travel sickness and guess what.......they didn't feel sick at all.

Offline Kez

• hallowed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2008, 07:44:58 pm »
my mums just found some boots travel calm tablets, i think they're what you meant.

side effects seem a bit extreme! drowziness, dry mouth, constipation, vomiting (!), disturbed vision, dry skin and slow followed by rapid heart rate with palpitations

edit: that was rude of me, thanks for the well done  :D

I sometimes get a dry mouth but that's it.

Yes I know its probably psychological but I'd rather take a pill that I think works, for it to "work" and not to feel queasy on the journey!

Offline lainey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2008, 08:26:58 pm »
boots own brand have always worked for me with my kids aswell

nothing works for me though :-X I have to drive or sit in the front seat keeping my eyes on the distance in front of me, don't read or look out of the side or anything else you'll be  :P

Offline alhLFC

• Main Stander
  • JFT96!
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2008, 09:26:39 pm »
They're not sickness tablets, but Boots sell travel sickness wrist bands that have always worked for me

Offline Mother.F

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2008, 09:32:40 pm »
anyway i was wondering if these pills actually help, and what the best ones are?
not got good memories of travel sickness pills, they made me feel worse (when i was 10)
also are they okay to take with anti-biotics? ta.

None of those stupid pills work. Personally I always try to not eat too much before I go, and when it's over, I eat something calming, like some toast and an orange. While I travel, I make a concerted effort to stay relaxed, and if it's at all possible, breath fresh air. (I find that the weird perfumed air on planes and the ilk contributes a lot to feeling nauseous) I try to sit in the front, and focus on something kind of distant on the horizon. Also, even though it's futile advice, don't work yourself up too much, worrying doesn't help. Other than that, I don't know what advice to give, your going to have to grit it out.   :-\  :-*

this is true, it was proven on tv, .
Then they were given a vitamin C tablet and told it was a new high end scientific breakthrough for people with travel sickness and guess what.......they didn't feel sick at all.

Similar studies have been conducted on all kinds of minor ailments, allergies etc. I agree with the mind over matter ideology, placebos often have similar effects as the 'real thing', but perhaps that is a testament to the greedy misguided modern pharmaceutical industry as much as anything else. Furthermore, if you couple that with the plethora of hypochondriacs in the world who enjoy the attention they get for feeling ill, then maybe you start to wonder how many of those people should be taking that medicine at all, and how many just think they have all these illnesses because they are brainwashed by telly commercials.  ( ;D um, sorry, I'll just remove the tin-foil hat now) Anyway, that doesn't mean that there aren't people who are genuinely afflicted by these various ailments. And none of that negates the fact that getting motion sickness is not fun.

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2008, 11:21:59 pm »
this is true, it was proven on tv, people who get travel sickness were given different tablets to see which was the best, they were told this one is the cheapest no name brand, when relay it was said to be the best on the market but since the people were told it was the cheapest they said it did nothing to stop them feeling sick.

There maybe some truth in the placebo effect but there is also lots and lots and lots of 'evidence' behind the physiological effects of motion sickness and what goes on in your brain and rest of the body when you throw up. There maybe a psychological element in some cases but anti histaminic and other motion sickness pills work because they have certain physiological effects on the body which have been shown to work.

Mind you.....ginger....try it ;)
It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3

Offline love:the:game

• Yes mate...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • If found please return to nearest Blackjack Table
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2008, 01:28:57 am »
I got these little wristbands from Boots, which basically have a plastic bit the size of a pea in the middle. The idea is you wear them and the hard plastic bit compresses something somewhere between your ulnar and radial nerves, and it stops you feeling sick. They just look like ordinary sweatbands, but they did seem to work.
I think we'd have won the league if we'd sold Keane to Man United.

Offline flw

• Famous Last Words
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • History is made so we never forget
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2008, 01:50:53 am »
When i was young i had occasional travel sickness, still do if im in the back of a car. I was always given a barley sugar sweet and a penny to hold , but today i would reckomend the boots . The bands also help  and know they work for sea sickness.
If you have faith, you have everything.
Without it  , you have nothing.

If you are blind, you cannot see, If you are deaf you cannot hear, but if you are dumb God help you

We are like grains of sand, one amongst millions ,  and like sand ...when you walk this earth we leave behind out footprints

Offline Auspool

• Legacy Fan
  • We Came, We Saw We Never Walked Alone...
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2008, 09:14:20 am »
Drowsiness is a big prob with the ones I've taken...

Try this - if you're RIGHT handed, put some cotton wool or blu tac or if you're really struggling gum in your LEFT ear.  If you are LEFT handed, put it in your RIGHT ear...

Apparently motion sickness affects the biogical 'level' you have in your head...

Works like a dream for me...
Don't lie, cheat or steal.  The Government doesn't like the competition...

Offline miss_heather

• hit_gorse
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nerd.
    • Twitter
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2008, 09:40:14 pm »
kwells are good :)

Offline Auspool

• Legacy Fan
  • We Came, We Saw We Never Walked Alone...
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2008, 05:40:51 am »
kwells are good :)

Those are the bastards that knock me out!
Don't lie, cheat or steal.  The Government doesn't like the competition...