Author Topic: Daniel Sturridge  (Read 386807 times)

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Daniel Sturridge
« on: January 27, 2017, 01:38:09 am »
Daniel Sturridge in decline: Speed statistics highlight the problem

The speed stats that highlight the gradual decline of Liverpool striker Daniel Sturridge.

Jamie Carragher knows better than most how devastating Daniel Sturridge can be at the peak of his powers. In the 11 games that the two men started alongside each other for Liverpool, Sturridge not only scored nine goals but the team never lost.

So the Liverpool legend's verdict on his former team-mate following Liverpool's EFL Cup semi-final exit to Southampton at Anfield on Wednesday night would not have been made lightly. Sturridge missed some good chances. But the long-term issue is his pace. "Sturridge is a completely different player now to when he first came to Liverpool," Carragher told Sky Sports. "The whole point of Liverpool buying Sturridge under Brendan Rodgers when I was at the club was that he gave us penetration in behind, he had pace.

Jamie Carragher on why Liverpool are effectively playing with 10 men

"But there was one occasion in the game tonight where he fell over into the hoardings in front of The Kop and I thought he had to get that ball. I don't know if his pace has completely gone or whether he's that worried with injuries that he pulls out of something."

The Premier League tracking data supports the argument that Sturridge's pace is now a problem and the numbers are alarming for anyone hoping that the player of old will ever be seen again. His top speeds have been declining for each of the past four seasons.

Sturridge enjoyed the form of his career during Liverpool's title tilt of 2013/14, scoring 21 goals in 29 Premier League games. Only Luis Suarez outscored him, but Sturridge showed he could lead the line during his strike partner's suspension, scoring in four games in a row.

His pace was a key feature of his game and the figures back that up. In 13 of his appearances that season, he produced sprints in excess of 33 kilometres per hour. He was Liverpool's quickest player in eight Premier League games and the fastest man on the pitch five times.

But in the three seasons since then, it has been a very different story. Not once has Sturridge hit speeds of 33 km/h in a Premier League game. Not once has he been the quickest player for Liverpool, let alone on the entire pitch. Injuries have taken their toll.

While the hamstring has been a recurring issue, it was thigh and calf problems that saw Sturridge miss 32 consecutive games in the winter of 2014. In fact, he has not been clocked at over 32 km/h in a Premier League game since that autumn.

His latest hip injury hampered his preparations for the current campaign and Sturridge's top speeds are down once more. Indeed, in a complete about-turn, he has had the lowest top speed of any Liverpool starter in three of his five Premier League starts this season.

Of course, his knack for scoring goals remains formidable. Even over the past three injury-hit seasons, Sturridge's 14 goals have come at a rate of one every 161 minutes - putting him among the top 10 finishers in the Premier League in that period.

Clearly, he is still a force when the chance presents itself, much like Robbie Fowler and Michael Owen in their later years. But the player who is able to stretch the play and fashion those opportunities for himself appears to be only a memory now.

"When you look at his Liverpool record - his finishing and goal-to-game ratio - it's fantastic," added Carragher. "But I'm talking about his pace and overall game because when he doesn't score it's like playing with 10 men."

The stats suggest that problem will not be going away.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11669/10743388/daniel-sturridge-in-decline-speed-statistics-highlight-the-problem

I think the debate surrounding his effectiveness over the last few seasons has been ongoing. People have been debating his loss of pace for a while now with some seeing an obvious drop and others arguing that he hasn't actually lost that much pace or that he was never lightning in the first place. I think these stats are damning because they clearly show how much speed he has lost and with that IMO he's a shell of the player he was before. Still a good 1 in 3 player, but the lack of pace is seriously concerning, and it doesn't seem to be getting better. Where does he go from here?

And for full disclosure, I've long held that he's dropped hugely in pace and lost much of his effectiveness though his other technical attributes make him a good player even now. But I think the time has come to seriously consider alternatives now.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 08:38:55 pm by John C »
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline Garnier

• Legacy Fan
  • thought Brendan could tame Balotelli
Re: Daniel Sturridge in decline: Speed statistics highlight the problem
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2017, 01:49:33 am »

I think the debate surrounding his effectiveness over the last few seasons has been ongoing. People have been debating his loss of pace for a while now with some seeing an obvious drop and others arguing that he hasn't actually lost that much pace or that he was never lightning in the first place.

I'm sorry, but whoever thinks this way is a jackass.

Back to Daniel, even in the 2014-15 season, when he got back from injury hell he was already looking a bit slower and it only got worse as the seasons went on. The situation now is just sad, really. Sometimes it looks like he doesn't want to run because he might get an injury. Too much time out with injuries finally caught up to him as sad as it is.

Whenever people questioned his quality or wondered if he should be sold, i always ignored it and kept the faith in the player. Now i'm pretty much expecting him to be gone if a decent offer comes in the summer. It's true, he is adapting his game to be more like a poacher, but it doesn't save him a place in the side, long term. And he is still injury prone, on top of that.

Incredible how every year he was out injured and we thought - "Just wait for Sturridge's return and the side will look a lot better/goals will come". He is not our talisman and never was, although he was supposed to be...
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 02:12:14 am by Garnier »
The change is cast

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2017, 01:59:34 am »
Nice discussion on Sturridge on TAW. Free too, if you're not a subscriber.

https://www.theanfieldwrap.com/2017/01/free-cup-tea-daniel-sturridge-question/
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2017, 09:20:06 am »
Nice discussion on Sturridge on TAW. Free too, if you're not a subscriber.

https://www.theanfieldwrap.com/2017/01/free-cup-tea-daniel-sturridge-question/

Good that, Jooney.

Very fair minded and essentially supportive of a player they all like, but don't see being here beyond this season. There were two interesting themes, for me; first: the way FSG are perceived re. vfm and wages (the fact that we're not getting vfm at present is self evident, and he will still have a high sell-on value in May). Second: the contention that Hodgson and the Euros did him no favours - given he missed three weeks of team-building, and training where Coutinho/Mane/Firmino got off to a "flyer".

I think their conclusion - that Klopp likes him both as a player and a person, is correct. Fate, timing, Lady Luck - it just seems that he and L.F.C were destined to be like star-crossed lovers; a tale of "nearly and if only"...
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Offline AaronSingh25

• Never Going to Grow Old. Dis-
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2017, 09:27:40 am »
It's the acceleration over the first five yards that's completely gone. For a striker that's the most important aspect of the whole speed issue.

Same thing happened with Torres and Owen - injury after injury ravaged that acceleration. As a result they were finished as top class players. 

Either Sturridge learns to adapt to play a different way, or he is going to struggle. Oh, and stay fit.

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2017, 09:34:31 am »
It's the acceleration over the first five yards that's completely gone. For a striker that's the most important aspect of the whole speed issue.

Brilliant player that has a ton of skill as well as the pace....but as you say, the first five yards look gone! He's still a great player for whoever plays to fit his style but not sure it's us anymore IF that is the case :(

Offline MD1990

• Makes your eyes bleed and your brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2017, 09:36:48 am »
Sturridge had 1,5 years being very good.

Got a big new contract in Sept 2014 & been no where near as good due to injuries. No top 6 club will target him very likely he will join a mid table PL club.

Offline DivisiveNewSigning

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2017, 09:39:15 am »
Saw this article a couple of days ago. Decent read but pointing out the obvious.

It's a real shame I think. The lad clearly has no confidence in his body and as such doesn't put in nearly the amount of effort required for this team and it's style - he's scared of going full throttle and given his history I know why he's doing it. I really sympathise with him as his career has been so stop-start with injuries the last few seasons it must be frustrating/upsetting for him.

He's still got a lot of quality, no doubt. I've never seen anyone produce so much power with zero backlift and it's always a delight to see. But I wouldn't be surprised to see him gone in the summer and go to someone like West Ham or Southampton.

Offline Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2017, 09:40:02 am »
Same thing happened with Torres and Owen - injury after injury ravaged that acceleration.

You beat me to it. I was just about to post the same

Even with the loss of pace though, he can still be a very effective player

He's much better at holding up the ball than Origi. He's also got vision and deftness of touch that Origi just doesn't have

If only we could keep him fit etc etc etc .........
When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.

Offline Klippity Klopp

• LFC. For life! Yes! Not just for Kloppmas.....nooo.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2017, 09:42:24 am »
It's very sad.

He certainly has lost some pace & acceleration.  He's not the player he was when him & Suarez were ripping the league apart.

Not sure whether he simply can't do it anymore or if he is scared to go full out due to his injury history.  Either way, he's nowhere near as effective.

He'll never lose his touch, his instincts to be in the right place or his finishing ability.  But that pace has made him lose that X Factor he had.

In the right team, I'm sure he could still score loads of goals.  I just don't think this Klopp team is the right one, given the circumstances.

Shame as I love the guy and would love him to get back to his best.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2017, 10:17:00 am »
Think the saddest thing for me is how utterly desperate people are to scapegoat the lad, its a popular thing to just jump all over his performances.

Clearly he's not the player he was and clearly the injuries have taken their toll, but the utter desperation people show to tell everyone he's finished as soon as he has a bad game? Its baffling. I'm not sure what it is about the lad that makes people like it, whether its just cos he's British or something more sinister..... Or because he says he believes in God, etc.

The Southampton game for example, he got crucified but there's no way he was anywhere near our worst player. Pretty much every chance or half chance went through him, his movement, his passing. He wasn't a passenger like others have been for months, he was trying to make things happen. His confidence clearly is as low as its ever been.

I think its pretty clear he's not going to really function in a Klopp team going forward, but christ show the lad some respect before he does inevitably leave.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline bird_lfc

• Would much rather have a good wank than get behind the team. Champion of Luke Shaw’s reputation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2017, 10:25:35 am »
You just know if we 'gave up on him' and cashed in, he would start knocking in goals for fun at his new club.

That amount of injuries is gonna take its toll on any player. I still think he has a huge rule to play in the squad but he's just bang out of form at the moment

The same can be said for money of our players though (can, origi, even lallana post injury) so why is he being singled out?

Offline gatcliffe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2017, 10:33:09 am »
Agree with many on here the guy has sadly experienced a decline, certainly in pace and also his goal contribution. We can only wait and see how the rest of the season pans out for him, if he can improve on his goal scoring then  he may be retained as a squad player, sadly if not he may be released by JK.
Like a bottle of wine the reds get better and better.

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2017, 11:13:59 am »
I think if he has someone up top actually pulling defenders out of position he'd shine again. Mane tends to occupy the left back AND left central defenders but at the moment everyone comes in through the middle. Hope for him yet but we need the players either back or similar to give him the room

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2017, 11:30:43 am »
No one cared how slow he was last season because he was better than a goal every two games.

He's barely featured or scored half a season on and now his future is over. I don't get that. ???

I feel desperately sad for him, the spotlight is never not on him and to certain people he will always be lazy, broken and should be 'binned'. It will be horrible if he does leave.  :'(
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 11:32:16 am by Kashinoda »
:D

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2017, 11:37:15 am »
It's really sad.

His first 6 months here he was as fast and dynamic as any other striker that ever played for us - constantly threatening in behind. He wasn't obviously only about the pace but when he used his electrifying pace over the first 5 yards it gave him a huge advantage and made him unplayable at times.

It's safe to say if Klopp inherited a 12/13 Sturridge he would have been a first name on his team-sheet in every game.

Debating whether he still has that pace or not would be a huge waste of time, looking at it objectively you wouldn't even need that article above to realize he doesn't have that electrifying pace anymore - irrelevant of whether it's because he lost it or is just too afraid to use it.

He's obviously now become a different profile of a striker - a poacher in the box. I personally hope we make some kind of arrangement with him to help us from the bench next season as his lethal finishing will never go away I don't think.

Offline whiteboots

• Kopite
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2017, 12:09:04 pm »
Sturridge's ability has never been in doubt- his mentality has.

It is interesting listening to other pro's talk about injury. How fear of injury can slow you down, how it can rob you of confidence going into challenges, thereby increasing the risk of injury, in a vicious downward spiral.

I don't think that Danny is a bottler, or shirker, or hypochondriac. I don't know whether he has physically lost his pace, or whether mentally he is afraid to stretch himself through fear of injury.

When you look at his age, and how few games he has played over his career, he certainly isn't suffering from burn out.

But whatever the reason, when you can't make a difference in a cup semi final, or early round tie against Plymouth, there is a problem. His wages will stop the overwhelming majority of clubs from buying if a significant fee is asked for as well.

Someone may gamble. Maybe a change of scenery, manager, and team would help? And if he really wants to play - he will make it happen. My guess is that he will see out his contract here, and head for the MLS.

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2017, 12:15:45 pm »
You don't need Usain Bolt pace to be a top drawer striker.
The 'problem' is the style of play under JK.
Studge is quality no doubt about that.
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline Kelvinlfc

• Legacy Fan
  • #JFT96
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2017, 12:17:00 pm »
There goes £20m off his asking price

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2017, 12:21:08 pm »
Think the saddest thing for me is how utterly desperate people are to scapegoat the lad, its a popular thing to just jump all over his performances.

Clearly he's not the player he was and clearly the injuries have taken their toll, but the utter desperation people show to tell everyone he's finished as soon as he has a bad game? Its baffling. I'm not sure what it is about the lad that makes people like it, whether its just cos he's British or something more sinister..... Or because he says he believes in God, etc.

The Southampton game for example, he got crucified but there's no way he was anywhere near our worst player. Pretty much every chance or half chance went through him, his movement, his passing. He wasn't a passenger like others have been for months, he was trying to make things happen. His confidence clearly is as low as its ever been.

I think its pretty clear he's not going to really function in a Klopp team going forward, but christ show the lad some respect before he does inevitably leave.

I agree with this - not sure about the confidence bit mind - but he's playing better than he's being given credit for.
He's phenomenally good at creating half yards of space to receive the ball in and when he's played recently ...we've been phenomenally bad at trying to find him with the ball - mostly kicking it over his head in recent games!

He's definitely declined physically from his peak. It seems to be his power endurance that's gone.
He does still seem able to find an extra yard but not to hit top speed when sprinting and especially later in games
So while he can look devastating in cameos (watford etc) he really does badly physically over 90 minutes
I don't know enough about physiology to know why that would be and why at his age you can't train it back ?? Anyone???

It's not a black and white thing where he's either Pele or trash...... As this article points out he still scores at an effective rate when he plays.
Knutson posted his radar the other day and it looks like a decent premier league striker... when pre his big injury it was elite. So that's where we are

Offline RobbieRedman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2017, 12:27:22 pm »

Bang on.

Offline Zoomers

• Legacy Fan
  • Meow
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2017, 12:36:15 pm »
Hope we continue to stick him while Mane is out, especially against Chelsea.
Shut the fuck up and put some respek on Lucas name playboy

Offline whiteboots

• Kopite
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2017, 12:40:55 pm »
You don't need Usain Bolt pace to be a top drawer striker.The 'problem' is the style of play under JK.Studge is quality no doubt about that.
The paradox is that although Sturridge is unquestionably a top class goal scorer ( his goal in the EL final), he is not a top class player for the way most elite teams play now.

A team like Swansea used to be, death by passing, or Palace under BFS may be, getting the ball into the box as often as possible, may suit him better.

Offline gatcliffe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2017, 01:22:39 pm »
The paradox is that although Sturridge is unquestionably a top class goal scorer ( his goal in the EL final), he is not a top class player for the way most elite teams play now.

A team like Swansea used to be, death by passing, or Palace under BFS may be, getting the ball into the box as often as possible, may suit him better.
When you say top class player what is your definition of a top class player ?

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2017, 01:29:03 pm »

Same thing happened with Torres and Owen - injury after injury ravaged that acceleration. As a result they were finished as top class players. 

Either Sturridge learns to adapt to play a different way, or he is going to struggle. Oh, and stay fit.

This is pretty much spot on. He initial acceleration has gone. It's what set him and Torres apart.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline Historical Fool

• A fool in the present too. The ban on drivel from 666 has led to a remarkable increase in forum quality. Currently being spectacularly wooshed. Seemingly by, well, just about everything.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FSG EOTM June ‘23
    • Fenway Sports Group
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2017, 01:36:03 pm »

For a celebrity, you speak a lot of sense.
Tubby thinks PGMOL are awesome..

And tubby is always right

Offline Djimi Smicer34

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2017, 01:38:21 pm »
He's still an excellent player who looks to be struggling to find any rhythm which is understandable given he isn't playing very frequently at present.  But I do think his time at Liverpool is more than likely coming to an end and it's probable he'll move on this summer.  And I'd be disappointed to see him go, if not surprised but I don't believe he's finished at the highest level by any stretch of the imagination, just perhaps not the right fit for Klopp.

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2017, 02:14:58 pm »
His athletic decline probably hurts us more in terms of our pressing than it does our attacking even. We go from having one of the best in the world at closing down in that position to someone far from it.
The trade off isn't worth it so give him a go on the right until Mane gets back.

Offline BassTunedToRed

• This X-Axis goes up to 11.
  • Kopite
    • Bass Tuned To Red
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2017, 02:18:31 pm »
Does his declining pace matter that much? Watch his goals for us:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/vyUgEdc1bcc

There's not many where he's tearing clear of defenders. Owen scored loads of his goals that way, as an example, but Sturridge's game has been built on speed of thought on quality movement, not just pace. Plus the way we're going, he'll never have space to run into again anyway, as everyone parks the old bus!

Yes he's not as a quick as he was, but I don't think it need be a disaster either.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 02:22:12 pm by BassTunedToRed »

Offline whiteboots

• Kopite
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2017, 02:20:37 pm »
When you say top class player what is your definition of a top class player ?

In this context, it implies a player with an all round game of the highest standard.

Sturridge never has been a lone striker, taking , and dishing, a battering, or a pressing dervish, denying the opposition space in their own half. When fit, and mentally right, he is a finisher- nothing wrong with that at all. But he needs to be in a team which plays to those strengths, and minimises his weaknesses.

Offline gatcliffe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2017, 02:32:20 pm »
In this context, it implies a player with an all round game of the highest standard.

Sturridge never has been a lone striker, taking , and dishing, a battering, or a pressing dervish, denying the opposition space in their own half. When fit, and mentally right, he is a finisher- nothing wrong with that at all. But he needs to be in a team which plays to those strengths, and minimises his weaknesses.
So are you saying we are not playing to his strengths ?

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2017, 02:51:57 pm »

This ^

Tho I don't think its anything sinister....just that people sometimes get this way about players who really are a class above and have the potential to be brilliant but don't fully realise that for one reason or another.

Some of the criticism in his performance I believe is justified, but ott. Let's hope he and Klopp figure out a way to get the best out of him together, which is surely the best case scenario. Unlikely as it is...
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2017, 03:02:28 pm »

For me, and i've been a bit OTT with Daniel at times, so this could definitely refer to me, anyway, for me it's the fact that when we play Daniel we sacrifice everything else to accommodate a player that doesn't fit. If he's scoring goals for fun, then absolutely play him, but for the past 4/5 games we've been shoehorning Daniel in at the expense of other players. Right now the benefit of that has been minimal, and it's frustrating seeing it happen again and again with no result.

I think before his injury he could trust his body plus he had Suarez doing a ton of running and closing down next to him, after his injury and with the removal of Suarez it's a different Daniel. He's still got phenomenal finishing ability but when that's not firing it's not much else. He doesn't close down passing lanes, his starting acceleration is way down so usually doesn't get on the end of things and his confidence would obviously be down. For a striker like him it's a tough road.

I guess the question is what do you do with him, when he's on form and scoring he's unplayable , when he's not I agree with Carra, he's not much use to the team.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 03:10:21 pm by Chakan »

Offline eyescream

• ewes'cream
  • Kopite
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2017, 03:19:47 pm »
In an interview after a game, he sounded a bit desperate that despite his efforts, it just didn't go the way he wanted.
In my opinion, his best skill is to take the ball with his back to the goal, turn and shoot without preparation.
I hope he regains his strenght and speed, no matter how slim the chances are.

Offline pathetic

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2017, 03:33:56 pm »
He missed two absolute sitters against Southampton but I think he gave his all trying to close down and running after players. Was he as good as Firmino at closing down players? Maybe not, but he's got other things going for him which Firmino doesn't. It seems inevitable that he will leave at the end of the season and just like Torres before him, his last big injury has stole from him that explosive pace which made him so lethal and dangerous. Just like Torres, he still is an excellent striker, just not a world class one like he was on course of becoming when he joined.

Offline whiteboots

• Kopite
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2017, 03:34:44 pm »
So are you saying we are not playing to his strengths ?
What do you think?

Offline rakey_lfc

• pwned by Ronaldo...and eBay
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm a people's man - only the people matter.”
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2017, 03:37:53 pm »
I've noticed his work rate has improved lately, I wondered whether this was why he doesn't seem as quick anymore. Is he too tired to chase through balls down now because he's worn out from pressing. Bit far-fetched I know.

I like him, I rate him. I think he is just off form, he's naturally going to get slower. If he scores one of those two chances against Southampton then I don't think this article would have been released.
SUPPORT AND BELIEVE

You'll Never Walk Alone

Xbox 360 gamertag - TonyB1604

Offline gatcliffe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2017, 03:45:28 pm »
What do you think?
Think his strengths is his shooting ability around the box. Trouble is we are ploughing the ball wide far too often of late, and crossing into the box thus bypassing him. The two chances in second half he had the other night both came from crosses,

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2017, 03:56:10 pm »
For me, and i've been a bit OTT with Daniel at times, so this could definitely refer to me, anyway, for me it's the fact that when we play Daniel we sacrifice everything else to accommodate a player that doesn't fit. If he's scoring goals for fun, then absolutely play him, but for the past 4/5 games we've been shoehorning Daniel in at the expense of other players. Right now the benefit of that has been minimal, and it's frustrating seeing it happen again and again with no result.

I think before his injury he could trust his body plus he had Suarez doing a ton of running and closing down next to him, after his injury and with the removal of Suarez it's a different Daniel. He's still got phenomenal finishing ability but when that's not firing it's not much else. He doesn't close down passing lanes, his starting acceleration is way down so usually doesn't get on the end of things and his confidence would obviously be down. For a striker like him it's a tough road.

I guess the question is what do you do with him, when he's on form and scoring he's unplayable , when he's not I agree with Carra, he's not much use to the team.

I was astonished (well not really....) that someone like Carra would say something so stupid.

Honestly even now, if you just think he only scores goals then you're massively mistaken. His touch, technique and passing is still a level above most of our players. Plenty of times against Southampton just his body shape in receiving the ball opened play up.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2017, 04:02:52 pm »
I was astonished (well not really....) that someone like Carra would say something so stupid.

Honestly even now, if you just think he only scores goals then you're massively mistaken. His touch, technique and passing is still a level above most of our players. Plenty of times against Southampton just his body shape in receiving the ball opened play up.

I still think we lose to much by playing Daniel Sturridge, his output over the last couple of games doesn't justify playing him centrally.