Author Topic: Simon Mignolet  (Read 278865 times)

Offline RedHands

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: The Simon Mignolet is boss thread.
« Reply #40 on: October 6, 2013, 03:55:23 pm »
Thought Reina was pretty bad last season. Routinely got beat at the near post and dropped some absolute clangers. On many shots, he made no attempt to make a save. I think he was probably in the bottom five keepers

Love, love Mignolet. He is superb at what he's paid to do which is stop shots. His distribution could definitely improve though but it will come.

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: October 6, 2013, 03:58:49 pm »
Mignolet IS boss and he's only going to get more comfortable with how we want to play. An upgrade on Reina, at this point.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline EmotionalCitrus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: October 6, 2013, 04:01:42 pm »
He doesn't fill me with confidence I gotta say. He doesn't seem commanding enough for me.

I bet he's gutted.

Offline Xanderzone

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: October 6, 2013, 04:05:15 pm »
Reina was never "awful". David James from 1996 onwards was awful, and Dudek in his last two seasons was awful.

Pepe's Liverpool career simply went stale. Both the player and the club needed a new beginning. I think he can be a world class goalkeeper again, but I don't think it was going to happen with us, so it was the right decision. In the last 2 seasons, there was 6-10 goals where Reina was either directly at fault for, or should have done better. Home and away against City, he cost us points last season.

And in Mignolet, we've signed a superb goalkeeping talent who will only get better.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #44 on: October 6, 2013, 04:10:37 pm »
Why does everything Mignolet related have to turn into a Reina debate.

We're lucky to have signed an excellent young goalkeeper who is still improving and who's made an excellent start to his Anfield career.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Beninger

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: October 6, 2013, 04:10:53 pm »
Saved a few points for us already this season.  Might as well be goals he's scoring with some of his saves...

Offline Cochise

• Not the man he used to be and is looking for a fresh start. Still cannot escape the fact that he's had an X-Factor Winner. Twice.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • DON'T BUY THE S*N
« Reply #46 on: October 6, 2013, 04:15:50 pm »
I bet he's gutted.

You think so? Hope my opinion doesn't keep him awake at night.
JFT96 - YNWA

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: October 6, 2013, 04:19:18 pm »
You think so? Hope my opinion doesn't keep him awake at night.

If he goes onto be shit from now I blame you.  you have brought the downfall of the mighty reds.

Offline PIPA23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: October 6, 2013, 04:24:21 pm »
best GK in Premier League after maybe only Cech...

i wouldn´t swap him for anyone.

Offline Butter Keks

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: October 6, 2013, 04:59:28 pm »
He's won us games single handedly? Scoring goals aswell now?

Offline Cochise

• Not the man he used to be and is looking for a fresh start. Still cannot escape the fact that he's had an X-Factor Winner. Twice.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • DON'T BUY THE S*N
« Reply #50 on: October 6, 2013, 05:01:17 pm »

Whats that? We won the game 1-0. Did he do it single handedly?
JFT96 - YNWA

Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

Offline Butter Keks

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: October 6, 2013, 05:02:20 pm »

Well if it wasn't for him we wouldn't of got the win. Not sure why you are purposefully trying to be an awkward arsehole but carry on.

Offline Cochise

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • DON'T BUY THE S*N
« Reply #52 on: October 6, 2013, 05:04:07 pm »
Well if it wasn't for him we wouldn't of got the win. Not sure why you are purposefully trying to be an awkward arsehole but carry on.

I'm not purposely trying to be an awkwrd arsehole but no player wins games on their own. No player.
JFT96 - YNWA

Offline Cochise

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • DON'T BUY THE S*N
« Reply #53 on: October 6, 2013, 05:04:59 pm »

Also prior to that pen save he'd had a pretty poor game.
JFT96 - YNWA

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: October 6, 2013, 05:06:53 pm »
Also prior to that pen save he'd had a pretty poor game.

No, he had a nervy first half an hour (on debut btw) and then went on to make that penalty save and a couple of others including that stunning reaction save off the rebound on the penalty.

I agree he isn't as good as Reina on the ball and that his command of the area can be improved upon but currently his shot stopping is the difference between the good start we've had to this season and a disastrous one. 
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline stescouse100

• Anny Roader
« Reply #55 on: October 6, 2013, 05:10:23 pm »
The manager deserves a lot of credit for acting in the manner he did bringing in Mignolet this summer with Pepe once again fluttering his eyelashes at Barcelona.

He's been absolutely fantastic since arriving at the club Mignolet, I know its early days but he seems to have an aura about him when keeping goal, and he's only going to improve.

Offline Butter Keks

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: October 6, 2013, 05:11:23 pm »
I'm not purposely trying to be an awkwrd arsehole but no player wins games on their own. No player.

It's a figure of speech really. We all know no player can win a match on their own, it's simply a way of giving high praise to a player.

Offline andspecks

• avers would probably help my analysis
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: October 6, 2013, 05:13:05 pm »

We're lucky to have signed an excellent young goalkeeper who is still improving and who's made an excellent start to his Anfield career.

Online Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #58 on: October 6, 2013, 05:33:37 pm »
Yes he did.

If you look at the penalty he saves it with his right hand only or 'single handedly'. 
« Last Edit: October 6, 2013, 09:03:10 pm by Funky_Gibbons »
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Online farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #59 on: October 6, 2013, 06:06:52 pm »
Can't find a thread on him but fuck me what a player, save upon save, I love him. Once he gets better with his feet we'll have such a slick GK, keep it up Simon,

loves

FernandoSusoLFC.
Have you actually tried typing "Simon Mignolet" in the search engine?  ;)

Boss signing that though.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline enigma

• Anny Roader
« Reply #60 on: October 6, 2013, 06:27:08 pm »
Have you actually tried typing "Simon Mignolet" in the search engine?  ;)

Boss signing that though.

Been a while since we've really had an in form shot stopper - had a few nervy moments with a new defense and change of formations, but think overall he's been generally outstanding - can't really see how you'd argue with that.  Delighted with him and many of the other signings - without going too off topic, we have a much stronger squad than we did a year ago.

Offline Cestrianred

• Main Stander
« Reply #61 on: October 6, 2013, 06:30:51 pm »
Said yesterday at the game he's making saves that Pepe wouldn't have.
Reckon he's saved us about 4-5 points so far.

Offline Gainsbarre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: October 6, 2013, 06:30:59 pm »
Frankly, you check all threads... and it looks all are players are shit... Sakho has no positional sens, Sterling is apparently finished for the big football, can't beat his man... and Mignolet looks to be 'unsafe' (whatever that means)... I read that and I wonder what is really special with our support... nothing at all... it looks like..
"Blackstone was targeted by Internet terrorists," Hicks said. "It absolutely had an impact on them."

Offline Cochise

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • DON'T BUY THE S*N
« Reply #63 on: October 6, 2013, 06:35:10 pm »
Frankly, you check all threads... and it looks all are players are shit... Sakho has no positional sens, Sterling is apparently finished for the big football, can't beat his man... and Mignolet looks to be 'unsafe' (whatever that means)... I read that and I wonder what is really special with our support... nothing at all... it looks like..

What if, and i'm being a bit of a silly sausage here I know, all are players do have an area of their games that can be improved?

And nobody has said Mignolet is shit.
JFT96 - YNWA

Offline Gainsbarre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: October 6, 2013, 06:41:53 pm »
What if, and i'm being a bit of a silly sausage here I know, all are players do have an area of their games that can be improved?

And nobody has said Mignolet is shit.

Of course they can improve! Players can improve by default.. always.. But I think it could be more joyful discussing the outstanding saves Mignolet has done and that have brought us points on board that the not so good distribution or the lack of 'great areal' presence on crosses.. None of the latter has done any harm.. (for now) but effectively his shot stopping is amazing and is what can do a big difference for us in the ongoing season... 
"Blackstone was targeted by Internet terrorists," Hicks said. "It absolutely had an impact on them."

Offline simsim

• Kopite
  • High tempo pass and move is the Liverpool groove
« Reply #65 on: October 6, 2013, 07:25:11 pm »

Because reina is still on the books and is one of the best to play for the club.

Offline juan1001

• The Dumb One
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: October 6, 2013, 07:27:54 pm »
Said yesterday at the game he's making saves that Pepe wouldn't have.
Reckon he's saved us about 4-5 points so far.
More like 8-10 points. Has been the biggest difference between last year and this year. The team actually played better football last year, but was constantly being let down by below average goal keeping.

Rodgers best signing. Long may it continue.

M I G N O L E T. !!!

Offline elpistolero7

• Biggest waste of space in history.
  • Legacy Fan
  • What's in a name anyway? No, I'm not bitter.
« Reply #67 on: October 6, 2013, 07:31:22 pm »
best GK in Premier League after maybe only Cech...

i wouldn´t swap him for anyone.

I'd swap him for Cech  :P
What belongs to you, but is used by others?

Offline juan1001

• The Dumb One
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: October 6, 2013, 07:31:51 pm »
Yes he did.

If you look at the penalty saves it with his right hand only or 'single handedly'.

:) :) :) :)

Online quinny

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #69 on: October 6, 2013, 07:37:41 pm »
He took 55 Belgian fans who'd flown over for the game yesterday out to dinner. He's also a boss keeper.

Offline FernandoSusoLFC

• Has a boner for Bony. Listens on mute. broke the Flanno to Fiorentina story. may be @indykaila or @melly mellwood #incognito
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: October 6, 2013, 07:48:26 pm »

As our fans are twats. Just appreciate how good Mignolet is you tits.

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: October 6, 2013, 07:52:55 pm »
Won us 4 points in the first 2 games and has shown throughout what an incredible shotstopper he is, his reactions are immense and I feel his triple save against Southampton is getting overlooked because we like to ignore what happened that game.

Because reina is still on the books and is one of the best to play for the club.

WAS one of the best to play for the club. Living in the past doesn't help anyone, and anyone thinking Reina was close to as good as Mignolet for the past 2 years is living in a dream world.
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #72 on: October 6, 2013, 08:12:51 pm »

There's Pepe Reina threads for Pepe Reina, this is a Mignolet thread.

He won't be playing for us again anytime soon.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #73 on: October 6, 2013, 08:15:12 pm »

Reina's no Bob Bolder, that's for sure.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline WorldChampions

• Charlie uniform november tango fan...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: October 6, 2013, 08:17:17 pm »
Great reaction save yesterday when the shot deflected in front of him.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #75 on: October 6, 2013, 08:18:18 pm »
Reina's no Bob Bolder, that's for sure.

Can he fix it?

Yes he can
Better looking than Samie.

Offline thekitkatshuffler

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #76 on: October 6, 2013, 08:21:21 pm »
He's got a lot going for him.  Now if only he can stop pushing daisy-cutters back into dangerous areas and start commanding his box better.

Room for improvement, but young enough in goalkeeping terms to expect those to materialise.  Nowt wrong with his reflexes or athleticism.  Seems a bright lad too, which gives me cause for hope that he can fix the things that need it.
« Last Edit: October 6, 2013, 08:23:58 pm by thekitkatshuffler »
David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.

Offline thekitkatshuffler

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #77 on: October 6, 2013, 08:23:20 pm »

Love Sterling's little hops in that clip.  :D
David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.

Offline jhatch

• Main Stander
  • White liquid in a bottle has to be milk.
« Reply #78 on: October 6, 2013, 08:26:48 pm »
I was a Pepe fan and was surprised to see him go. But I've been very impressed by Mignolet. His shot stopping is brilliant. Definitely a step up.

Offline PIPA23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: October 6, 2013, 08:40:03 pm »
I'd swap him for Cech  :P

he can be better than him in few years...