Author Topic: RAWK Preview: Liverpool v Crystal Palace Saturday 5th K.O.15:00  (Read 56289 times)

Offline Number 7

• Gegenpresser
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • And the sweet silver song of a lark..
You'd have to go back to 2005 to find out the last time Liverpool played Crystal Palace. Liverpool wore the prestigious tag of being current European Champions at the time. Just 6 months earlier they had taken part in of the most memorable games in the clubs history. Istanbul was still fresh in the air, and the buzz of winning their 5th European Cup still had everyone bouncing with a spring in their step.

The Eagles brushed us aside that day in a League Cup encounter that included the likes of Liverpool legends such as Gerrard and Hyypia, and other supporting cast who had played a major role in Istanbul like Hamann and Luis Garcia. Gerrard scored in the game, but Liverpool's pressure was to no avail.

I don't remember it of course. League Cup defeats over the years don't really set off a lightbulb in my mind. What I do remember though - very faintly - was an FA Semi Final against them in 1990. I remember us going in as hot favourites, only to majestically cock it up and end up losing 4-3 in extra time. I remember spending the entire game watching in awe and refusing to believe that we'd actually lose. We were terribly undone by set pieces, and Palace went through to the Final leaving me quite shellshocked. I'd ponder over defeats in those times for days upon end. We were Liverpool, we were invincible but Crystal Palace beat us. When you're young those things are hard to decipher. Strangely enough, Liverpool had beaten Palace 9-0 just earlier that season in a league game in September.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=xaMa4MdYCao

Liverpool fans are all too familiar with the threat of administration, but that's exactly what happened to Palace in 2010 with debts of around £30 million. You never want to wish that on any club, especially a club that was founded over a 100 years ago. So, it was welcome news later that year when they reported they were out of administration. Ironically, one player that had to sell when going in to administration was none other than our very own (or our loaned very own) Victor Moses. Yes....Victor Moses used to play for Crystal Palace. I know!.....I didn't know either. So, go on Moses score against your former club - you won't have to celebrate.

Ian Holloway once said that Charlie Adam was 'our Alonso' - we just needed to buy him. Adam did eventually turn up at Liverpool, and lasted all of one season. Alonso wasn't exactly quaking in his boots. Holloway has done well to get them promoted, although he hasn't really been in charge for one whole season. His press conferences are always enlightening so I'll be keeping an eye out on what he has to say this Thursday.

On to the game.....

Palace haven't started off well. We have. They're second from bottom, we're second from top. Of course in today's Premier League that means absolute bugger all. Any team can beat anyone other on their day - as this past weekend's results illustrated perfectly. This should be a routine win. Right? A home banker...of sorts. Or shall we just say a 'win'. It's a potential banana skin, but unless you're playing one of the top sides these days what game isn't? We haven't been notorious as of late winning games at Anfield that we should be winning easily, but we really should win this game. We'd be on another high going in to the second international break of the season, either top or 2nd if we were to gain victory. We'll have a week's rest in between so there should really be no excuses.

They've got Marouane Chamakh who's scored at Anfield before, when Reina missed the ball in the sun. Cameron Jerome was that guy who scored a belter at Anfield once while playing for Birmingham City, right? I believe Palace like to pass it around a bit (haven't seen an awful lot of them), which should suit us as we have more problems with bullish teams who came at you.

Who replaces Lucas? Allen is probably still not fit so I'd like to see Henderson in the middle with Gerrard. If the midfield has looked laboured of late, conceding too much possession, we'll now see if anything changes with the energy of Henderson in there. I know there are still Lucas doubters aplenty (not me) so we'll see if his absence hurts us or not. If we're going to stick with the 3-5-2 Henderson will most likely vacate the right wing-back role, with Sterling most likely to fill it. Although, I wouldn't be adverse to seeing Moses there and Alberto given a run in the hole. Alberto is the most natural replacement for Coutinho as a #10, so what better game to play him than at home against a struggling side. And besides we have to bed him in at some point.

I'd personally stick with the same back 3, and I'm struggling to see how Agger gets back in the team on current form. Sakho is a beast, Toure is a beast and Skrtel has exceeded expectations so far this season. The only way I can see Agger coming back in is if he replaces Sakho, and quite honestly I don't want Sakho departing the first 11 right now.

Luis Suarez and Daniel Sturridge - fresh off their devastating display against Sunderland - should again see some joy in the final third.

All in all, I expect to see a good performance and go at them right off the bat. None of that giving them too much respect malarkey. We're a better team than them, so if we do the basics right our class should see us through.
 As usual anyone posting just formations will have their posts removed.
« Last Edit: October 2, 2013, 04:13:21 pm by Hinesy »
YWNA

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
Re: RAWK Preview: Liverpool v Crystal Palace Saturday 5th K.O.15:00
« Reply #1 on: October 2, 2013, 05:05:45 am »
This game should be made for our 3-5-2. They play up the middle, play some long balls, and their only real crosser is Puncheon. Chamakh could be a danger for aerial balls, but I think the back three can more than handle that. They've only scored 4 goals in the league, and one of those came from a defender - and only 2 goals came from open play. We should be looking at a clean sheet in this game, and probably another three goals. Possibly a Suarez hat trick. If we score 2 goals early enough, it could end up at 4. Henderson in midfield for Lucas, and one of Kelly/Wisdom/Sterling/Moses at Right Wing Back, I think. Everything else to stay the same.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline NorthamptonKopite

• Non-
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
« Reply #2 on: October 2, 2013, 05:55:09 am »
Like to see Kelly given his first start in this one, see if he's near fit enough. As said above Hendo will be needed in the middle so a great chance for Kelly to step up at right back in a less pressured situation what with 3 centre backs behind him.

Really think Suarez and Sturridge should be too much to handle for Palace. Infact I think that'll be the case in a lot of games this season aslong as they both stay fit and ban free. Too deadly to be kept out I think.

Offline 88_RED

• Not a real bookie though.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: October 2, 2013, 06:34:00 am »
I dont think there's a chance Moses will be right wing back.. we need his direct running and power from the forward areas.. sterling however could do a job there.. i remember seeing him there in the u21a few weeks ago (think it was against sundeland..not too sure) and he was devastating..

Henderson moves in to cover lucas.. Would like the back 3 to remain the same.. same with the front 3 or front 1-2 whichever way u like it..

Have seen a couple of palace games this season.. they dont have an outstanding player who will worry us.. their youngster gayle is decent and can be direct.. their midfield is controlled by Jedinak who has an eye for a pass but isnt very mobile..

Their back 4 can be got at..

3-0 to us.. with SAS doing the business again.. sturridge x2 and suarez
« Last Edit: October 2, 2013, 06:42:02 am by 88_RED »
F*CK 0FF Mourinho..

Offline Scouserpool

• Legacy Fan
  • https://twitter.com/Thommas86
« Reply #4 on: October 2, 2013, 09:25:49 am »
Hopefully this will be the match were we finally comes out of 2nd gear and play some good football all the 90 mins. I think we can get a clean sheet as well as three points. Sturridge hattrick and a goal from Suarez will do it ;-)
PSN: delete_one

"If you're in the penalty area and don't know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we'll discuss the options later." Bob Paisley

"I want to use the incredible support to make coming to Anfield the longest 90 minutes of an opponent’s life." Brendan Rodgers

Offline Cattive Maniere

• Legacy Fan
  • Mentalita Ultras
    • bettingtips365
« Reply #5 on: October 2, 2013, 09:28:35 am »
want to see Aspas up front for this one

Offline paddysour

• likes balls
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #6 on: October 2, 2013, 09:32:01 am »
I've watched them a few times this season and they have been terrible. Against Spurs they had no attacking threat whatsoever until Kevin Phillips came on. He was a class above, but he should be retired really. That shows just how poor they are going forward.

As Pop alluded to they have no attacking threat down the wings (bar one of their youth players, blonde hair, forget the name). Genuinly expect us to absolutely batter them.

Offline freddwarf

• Pub bore. See? See? I was right! Gerrard back in C/Mid! Told you all months ago! See? Listen to me! I'm always right! Chose accessorising over a European Final. Gave his wife the trousers.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: October 2, 2013, 09:32:05 am »
Do we need a thread for this game...It's Crystal Palance at home.

Run of the mill home win. End of story.

Offline duelcandle

• Kemlynite
  • Adam & Callum forever
« Reply #8 on: October 2, 2013, 09:34:07 am »
Same 11 to get the result playing good football always improving and developing understandings in all areas. Out wide in the middle up front and in defence we keep improving.

Subs on 60min onwards to continue impressive display and add there own personality.

Are we up for it yes. Fans and players will enjoy Saturday. 3-0 maybe 4.

YNWA.
Middle Linner

Online Roady

• Streety's long lost brother. AKA the Shit Buhunt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: October 2, 2013, 10:02:54 am »
Youd like to think this is a banker 3 points.
Id love to see a strong composed 3 or 4-0 nil victory.
The good thing for me is even if we play poorly (which i dont think we will) Sturridge and Suarez will always get you goals.
Feeling very positive for this one. 4-0. Sturridge and Suarez with a couple each.
Giant sponges. That is the answer for flooding.

Offline xerxes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: October 2, 2013, 10:04:12 am »
They are as bad a team as I have ever seen in the top flight. I'm looking for another 9-0 to be honest
Xerxes MBE

Offline Lippy The Lion

• Kopite
« Reply #11 on: October 2, 2013, 10:06:05 am »
Was going out with a girl from Croydon in 1990 when they beat us in the cup. She rang me straight after the game to take the piss

Then a couple of weeks later she finished with me.

IF YOUR READING THIS EMMA I HOPE WE STUFF YOU 10-0
'To do is to be' - Sartre

'To be is to do' - Descartes

'Do be do be do' - Sinatra

Offline DeLeiva

• StanDan
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA -
« Reply #12 on: October 2, 2013, 10:10:29 am »
Was going out with a girl from Croydon in 1990 when they beat us in the cup. She rang me straight after the game to take the piss

Then a couple of weeks later she finished with me.

IF YOUR READING THIS EMMA I HOPE WE STUFF YOU 10-0

That is fucking hilarious.
Well played lad.

Offline robgomm

• He just can't get enough of Luis Suarez.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: October 2, 2013, 10:16:58 am »
I don't know why every home game feels a bit sketchy to me, we just don't seem as fluid and I think that's crucial at home. But this is as good an opportunity to confound that as we will have, even with sour memories of Holloway's Blackpool niggling away. They just aren't very good. I hope we score within 10 minutes.

Offline AM76

• Joylessly cynical skimreader aka IQ76
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: October 2, 2013, 10:23:13 am »
Worst team in the premier league by a country mile this lot. Got to be looking at a convincing win against these. Would love to think that we will at least score 3, but this is liverpool were talking about.

Offline Severely

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We go again
« Reply #15 on: October 2, 2013, 10:23:51 am »
Honestly, it's hard to see the partnership of Suarez and Sturridge not yielding goals. I'd love to see Alberto thrown in, home game against the second last team in the division, who are a team that like to attack. What better situation could there be?
HERE LIES JOSE MOURINHO

THE BALL WAS OVER THE LINE

R.I.P.

Offline TheVeg

• he might
  • Main Stander
« Reply #16 on: October 2, 2013, 10:27:18 am »
I don't know why every home game feels a bit sketchy to me, we just don't seem as fluid and I think that's crucial at home. But this is as good an opportunity to confound that as we will have, even with sour memories of Holloway's Blackpool niggling away. They just aren't very good. I hope we score within 10 minutes.

I think this could be key. A nice early goal to set the ball rolling and I think we could see 4 or more goals for us. However, the longer we go without a goal, the more nervous we seem to get and I think if we haven't scored by half time, we may struggle to keep our heads up. That said, Crystal Palace are rubbish. And Suarez and Sturridge are quality and will score. Should be a routine home win.

Offline reds7

• Kopite
  • Walk on Tommo
« Reply #17 on: October 2, 2013, 10:35:30 am »
Should def be three points. Interested to see how Brendan is going to set us up. Do you play 3-5-2 at home against Palace?

Offline sattapaartridge

• The new 'pete price' of RAWK.
  • Legacy Fan
  • @sattapaal
« Reply #18 on: October 2, 2013, 10:41:24 am »
I'd also like to see Kelly played at wing back too, he's a powerful player with a good engine. There are others who would like to see Sterling play right wing back, but Crystal Palace arent that bad that we could take the piss like that surely?

Questions: Are Agger and Allen fit?
did you know that 10 x 2 and 11 x 2 have the same answer?

Offline PaLee

• Death by football
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • This is ANFIELD!!!
« Reply #19 on: October 2, 2013, 10:41:57 am »
Maybe they are the worst team in the league now, but I remember watching them playing Man United at OT few weeks back. Man United could not score until that prick Young dive that gave them a penalty and a red card to the palace defender. I think this Palace side are capable of maybe nicking a draw at Anfield. We need to score early and then later hit them on the counter attack.

Offline Mingles

• Kopite
« Reply #20 on: October 2, 2013, 10:42:03 am »
Wouldn't mind seeing a goal or two come from midfield. But hell, I'll just take 3 points.

Offline RogerTheRed

• Danke Juergen
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's a golden sky on the way
« Reply #21 on: October 2, 2013, 10:43:17 am »
Come On Redmen!
Should be straight forward. If Lucas is banned reckon Hendo can move to middle and Kelly to right wing back as only changes.
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!

Offline Baz Smythe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: October 2, 2013, 10:49:15 am »
Far too confident in here. We have been playing poorly and last two times we have played Holloway teams we have lost. We seem to have a problem with complacency and if ever there was a banana skin its this. They'll play men behind the ball and have pop shots from 20 yards.

We should beat them but that doesn't mean we will. They only lost to Spurs from a penalty and were unlucky at Old trafford cos Ashley the diving bastard.

I hope we win, we should win. But by no means am I expecting a rollover
Follow me on twitter.

https://twitter.com/1chrissmith1

Online SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: October 2, 2013, 10:49:44 am »
I remember that epic cup game.

didn't Crystal Palace lose the final to United(in a replay?)? And hence Ferguson keeping his job, and beginning his terrible dynasty?

CURSE YOu PALACE aNd MARk RoBiNS
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: October 2, 2013, 10:54:02 am »
Far too confident in here. We have been playing poorly and last two times we have played Holloway teams we have lost. We seem to have a problem with complacency and if ever there was a banana skin its this. They'll play men behind the ball and have pop shots from 20 yards.

We should beat them but that doesn't mean we will. They only lost to Spurs from a penalty and were unlucky at Old trafford cos Ashley the diving bastard.

I hope we win, we should win. But by no means am I expecting a rollover

True they've had a tough run of games and no ones put more than two past them yet. These kind of games are rarely vintage encounters. Could well be a scrappy match. As long as we take three points from it I'd be good with that.

Offline Bangin Them In

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: October 2, 2013, 10:54:32 am »
Just put Hendo everywhere to cover everything

Defence looks OK as is 3 at the back and Skrtel seems much better with competition for his place

Just get a win
A win for the Liverpool country

Online Dougle

• and the bleu cat!
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: October 2, 2013, 10:56:34 am »

God, when was it ? Somewhere in the back of my memory something is stirring .... hmmm. Ah yeah, it was 2 weeks ago wasn't it. Liverpool 0 - 1 Southampton.

Offline Red_Rich

• Legacy Fan
  • Fan since Liverpool 5 Stoke 3 in 1976
« Reply #27 on: October 2, 2013, 11:05:55 am »
I want us to win 9-0 again and for Mark Bright to be on BBC's Final Score so I can Sky+ it.

The bitterness that nob holds against us just because of that 1989 drubbing is hilarious.

GET OVER IT MAN!!!!!
United used to win titles on easy street, time for us to take over that real estate

Offline jaffod

• Living a double life as Billy Bunter after midnight. Has until July 3rd to figure out what from his womans clothing range to wear.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Common beermat and towel thief.
« Reply #28 on: October 2, 2013, 11:06:07 am »
I want to see us set up like a Liverpool team playing Crystal fucking Palace at Anfield. None of this cagey, counter-attacking, 20 yards too deep shit. Palace are turd, absolute fucking turd, so let's treat them as such.

Offline JohnM

• Mystic tealeaf reader
  • Anny Roader
  • That's how they roll.
« Reply #29 on: October 2, 2013, 11:09:29 am »
Got the wife to review this game over the Tea Leaf's, she say's its a home win

Liverpool 3 - 0 Crystal Palace

That's how they roll

Inshallah
JohnM

Do all that is necessary and nothing that is not

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #30 on: October 2, 2013, 11:12:39 am »
want to see Aspas up front for this one

1) You are Aspas! Welcome to RAWK.

2) You are Aspas' agent! Welcome to RAWK.

3) You are Aspas' mother! Welcome to RAWK (but be careful what threads you read).

Ta.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline SMacDougall

• Kopite
« Reply #31 on: October 2, 2013, 11:14:19 am »
My registration finally went through! Took ages to get approved.

Expecting a convincing win here. Especially with Suarez and Sturridge up front.

Online Roady

• Streety's long lost brother. AKA the Shit Buhunt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: October 2, 2013, 11:17:09 am »

God, when was it ? Somewhere in the back of my memory something is stirring .... hmmm. Ah yeah, it was 2 weeks ago wasn't it. Liverpool 0 - 1 Southampton.

In fairness doogle Southampton are a decent side. This Palace side is fucking shite. Anything other than a win and id be concerned.Im confident and i think the vast majority of fans are too.They like to try and attack, weve got goals in us with sturridge and suarez up front.I cant see anything other than a home win.
Giant sponges. That is the answer for flooding.

Offline helmboy_nige

• A diplomat... except in the face of total morons
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: October 2, 2013, 11:26:55 am »
A win... a big win... if only to sock it Lippy the Lions ex from 1990.  We should do a banner!

3-5-2 seems like a good way to go.  It's looked strong in the first couple of games we have tried it in this season.  We were unlucky against Man U and the Sunderland game went well.

I'd really like to see Kelly in the wingback position. He needs some games and it's the right type of game for him to start. Better putting him in against Crystal Palace than Arsenal.

Henderson into the middle where he will hopefully be able to free up Gerrard a little more.  I'd really like to see Luis Alberto given the number 10 role for a game like this, which leaves Moses out of the team, but I think it's important to try to work some of these new players into to the right games.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: October 2, 2013, 11:32:33 am »
For me I think its games like this that Brendan earns his corn.

Ok so he has to get the team selection right and his tactics correct as usual but he also has to get his team right mentally for this. It must be quite easy getting the lads 'up' for the Manc and Everton games but playing a 99.9% certain relegation candidate at home often makes teams complacent.

I do hope BR's priority this week is drumming a 'must win' mentality into the boys.  If ALL the squad are up for this, then a few changes here and there to the starting 11 should not make much of a difference in my opinion.

Offline freddwarf

• Pub bore. See? See? I was right! Gerrard back in C/Mid! Told you all months ago! See? Listen to me! I'm always right! Chose accessorising over a European Final. Gave his wife the trousers.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: October 2, 2013, 11:33:08 am »

My remark was aimed at a time when games like these were a easy gig. Tommy Smith would telephone in as he was hardly needed.

In fact down the years these were the games that, if we were not 3 up by half time, the moaners on the Kop would kick off....ahh...the good 'ole days..

Offline Red-Dread

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #36 on: October 2, 2013, 11:34:11 am »

Would be furious if the team took to the field with an attitude in any way resembling this.
first ever avatar..... ben(d)oak

Offline GlenJohnson2

• Legacy Fan
  • ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
« Reply #37 on: October 2, 2013, 11:35:25 am »
1) You are Aspas! Welcome to RAWK.

2) You are Aspas' agent! Welcome to RAWK.

3) You are Aspas' mother! Welcome to RAWK (but be careful what threads you read).

Ta.

:lmao

Aspas' real agent or the wrong one Ian Ayre spoke to when we tried to sign him?
Manchester United could win fifty titles, but they will always be the Rolling Stones of football. Good, just not quite that band from Liverpool.

You should literally be skinned for such a fucking daft answer :o

Offline freddwarf

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: October 2, 2013, 11:44:02 am »
Would be furious if the team took to the field with an attitude in any way resembling this.

I refer the honourable gentleman to the reply I gave some moments ago..

Offline jslice

• Main Stander
« Reply #39 on: October 2, 2013, 11:50:31 am »
After the southampton game it should be clear that there is no 'given' in the league...And although palace started a little shakey, they will still be up for it, they have no problem going at the bigger teams, but if we play possession football and not play too direct then i can see us slotting in a few, we're better in every aspect, we just need to keep the bloody ball...

Would love to see hendo in the middle for this game and gerrard ahead of him, let hendo do the running and gerrard find the space between the defence/midfield, he'll be creating goals for fun from there