Author Topic: A Mickey Mouse Cup?  (Read 8953 times)

Offline john_mac

• The Scouse Confucius
  • Legacy Fan
  • Only got 3 bullets and there's 4 of Motley Crew
A Mickey Mouse Cup?
« on: December 2, 2004, 09:08:12 pm »
It seems like almost forever now that it has been known as “The Mickey Mouse” Cup, but how many memories it holds. Back in 1977 I remember our blue brethren being leathered by us for being arsed about it and even more once Terry Darracot fell over the ball for Villa’s winner in a second replay, yet twelve months later it meant so much when the European Champions fell to Cloughie’s Red Bastards thanks in no small part to that feather-cutted cheating twat Pat Partridge.   

That was to prove only to be the start of things in this cup for us though, a competition Shankly never even wanted to enter was to become synonymous with his successor. Who could forget Sammy Lee dancing in front of Phil Parkes at Wembley as Barney crashed the ball into the net, or the performance from a young Ian Rush in the replay in which the winning goal remains the abiding memory, with the possible exception of the hundreds of flying jacket West Ham skins waiting at the bottom of Witton Lane?

Ronnie Whelan at Wembley gave as good a performance as we have ever seen to almost single-handedly land the trophy twelve months later, which was followed by perhaps the most endearing moment the same cup has ever produced, as Sir Bob claimed the steps below the twin towers to become the first manager ever to receive a trophy at the famous stadium. The marvelous Merseyside exodus to ‘the smoke’ in 1984 was followed by the icing on the cake at Maine Road.

The tournament has been a constant source of pleasure to reds, events like Rushie's first goal after his return from Italian exile at Walsall, Robbie’s debut at Fulham followed by his five in the second leg, twice twatting the Superstore from the other end of the East Lancs in finals, even Uncle Roy managed to win the thing!

The semi-final at home to Palace in 2001 was an undoubted turning point of that season, and Robbie’s goal at Cardiff as well as Carra’s pen were marvelous, bettered only by the now traditional celebrations around the Welsh capital. A return back to Cardiff and another victory was probably the last great day of Houllier’s reign, but we fucken enjoyed it.

Many would claim the trophy has been devalued by teams playing weakened teams, but it has undoubtedly been one of the great breeding grounds for young players, not least some of those who have graced the red shirt, not least those mentioned above.

Which brings us fittingly to this season. How I was bloody dreading extra time as the game against Boro appeared to be drawing to its inevitable conclusion, till the much maligned Mellor had his say. Now I’m not going to say Neil is gonna set the world on fire but since I first saw him as a bungling teenager he has come on in leaps and bounds. His enthusiasm and commitment is beyond doubt, even if his lack of pace and sometimes clumsy control is sometimes a bit embarrassing, there is not a doubt in this fucken world that the lad knows where the goal is and his Liverpool career has been littered with goals at every level. I can’t help but feel the lad does not have what it takes to be the top class striker we need, he can make it at some level and the way he plays the game does give me the impression that he may be one of these players who improves as he gets older.

1st December 2004 and a trip to White Hart Lane to watch a team that has struggled to set the Premier League alight, even if a few of them where part of the under 19 squad which won the league a couple of seasons ago. Even on the back of Sunday’s glory it was hard to see us competing let alone carry off an unlikely victory. The lads performed magnificently, competing in every department with debutant Raven and the extremely talented substitute Welsh coming in for particular praise, along with the old babysitters of the team Dudek and Henchoz - either could slot straight back into the first team immediately. The boys from the Anfield Spion Kop were also in fine fettle, just how can our away support regularly be so good while our home support (Sunday and midweeks apart) is generally so bad? The best chant of the day was saved for the coach  journey home with the a rendition of the Pink Floyd classic, with the classic chorus

“Hey, Rafa, Leave the kids alone!”

A fucken great day all round, and in my eyes even better than Sunday and that was another great day. I know that not many will agree but I can’t help but think that footy is about having a ball and winning things. It's about your weekends away and cup finals, it's about Wembley, Rome, Paris and Cardiff. Finishing third or finishing fourth just doesn’t inspire me in the way Ronnie Whelan curling it around a floundering Gary Bailey does, it’ll never inspire me like watching Bob Paisley walk up the stairs below the twin towers does. I don’t mind finishing fourth, I love my European trips but you take anything away from the glory of winning a cup, a Mickey fucken Mouse or not, and the days and the times the Football League, the Milk, Coca Cola, Worthington and every other guise it has come in, have been absolutely brilliant , a ball.

Mickey Mouse Cup? My arse, its our Mickey Mouse Cup!

© john_mac 2004
« Last Edit: December 3, 2004, 09:51:26 am by Rushian »
We'll See Things They'll Never See

Offline cornelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Beware the beast man, for he is the Devil's pawn"
Re: A Mickey Mouse Cup?
« Reply #1 on: December 2, 2004, 09:15:47 pm »
Couldn't agree more. :wellin

:champ is what it's all about.

I wouldn't care if LFC were playing fc swaziland in a friendly for an egg cup - I'd still want us to win it!!!
« Last Edit: December 2, 2004, 09:17:37 pm by vladallover »

Roddysul

« Reply #2 on: December 2, 2004, 09:20:20 pm »
Have always had a fondness for it myself  -  remember when it was the "Milk Cup" it was almost as big a competition as the FA - would draw in just as much interest and revenue - (but the clubs allocation of tickets was much better)

I formed part of the Mersey Exodus in 1984 -  what a day out that was.  Was in the Liverpool end right in the middle behind the goal with my blue nosed dad  (it was a truly ecumenical matter)  when Rushie fired over from 5 yards out -   AAAAARRRRGGGG

Then the whole stadium as one singing "Merseyside"
Was also Grand National weekend too I recall and the worlds sporting eyes were on the city.

We practically made the trophy our own in those years. We were in the final 9 times in 13 years and I saw a number of them
 I even formed part of the impressively huge Tranmere army that went down for the last ever Wembley final and despite losing, had a great day out - especially when Tranmere lashed in an equaliser with 10 minutes left.

Birmingham on pennos.

Gerrard and Owen against the Mancs

Some great days out.  I can't believe the other "top" clubs haven't taken to it like we have over the years.

Offline America's Sweetheart

• I love you all dearly. Artichoke Festival Queen; the poster formerly known as Low.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boypants.
« Reply #3 on: December 2, 2004, 09:52:02 pm »
One of my old man's many oft-repeated stories is set in an alley outside Villa Park after the replay against West Ham, all the Scousers celebrating victory by bellowing "Mickey Mouse" - which was shortly later replaced by the time honoured "Stand" while the masses back-pedalled away from an unknown number of unhappy Hammers.

In the darkness and confusion, he missed his coach and ended up hitching a lift home with a cut lip and bleeding knuckles.

I suppose those were the days?

Offline jeremy goss

• Boys Pen
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4 on: December 2, 2004, 10:00:37 pm »
well said mac,it  was a fine sing song especialy the halewood chains on the back
row.
ps
the quality street gang rule ok

hoonin

« Reply #5 on: December 2, 2004, 10:21:54 pm »
I know that not many will agree but I can’t help but think that footy is about having a ball and winning things, its about your weekends away and cup finals, its about Wembley, Rome, Paris and Cardiff, finishing third or finishing fourth just doesn’t inspire me in the way Ronnie Whelan curling it around a floundering Gary Bailey does, it’ll never inspire me like watching Bob Paisley walk up the stairs below the twin towers does. I don’t mind finishing fourth, I love my European trips but you take anything away from the glory of winning a cup, a Mickey fucken Mouse or not, and the days and the times the Football League, the fucken Milk, Coca Cola, Worthington and every other fucken guise it has come in, have been absolutely brilliant , a ball.

Great stuff :) Welcome back j_m

Offline Dermot

• Rent this renovated space for just £3.99/month. Price includes neon backlighting.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: December 2, 2004, 10:26:56 pm »
Quality!!!!!!
The cheek of that mon, deserves a shlap

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #7 on: December 2, 2004, 10:35:03 pm »
Roll on no 8  ;D

ok we better not get ahead of ourselves :P
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline Mottman

• OCB Rep, King of Bootle, Snake Wrangler Extraordinaire, Member of the Garston is in Runcorn Society
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: December 3, 2004, 12:29:49 am »
Mickey Mouse Cup my arse.

Well in John_Mac. Great to see you posting once again.

One Life.

One love.

One Liverpool FC.

We walk on.
A boy from the Mersey and a Son of Shankly.

Offline Murf

• RAWK Wino
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sir Bob Paisley 10 years gone but not forgotten
« Reply #9 on: December 3, 2004, 07:58:05 am »
What more can you say, afuckin great read and its got me buzzin for more, come on reds lets twat these Hornets and let the Welsh party begin (sadly for the last time) or is it ;)
never forget the 96....... justice   www.contrast.org/hillsborough

NO GAME ON APRIL THE 15th please write to

Rick Parry
Chief Executive
Liverpool Football Club
Anfield Road
Liverpool
L4 0TH

Offline Jimbo.

• Skint
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: December 3, 2004, 09:10:47 am »
Well in JM!

let the Welsh party begin (sadly for the last time) or is it ;)

Keep Cardiff Scouse!
Quote from: Dan_L
Chester is in chesirte, trasmneraeeeee is in wirral dfivo 1adand lpoolis merseydie lpoo2-1 everpuyokton |BluESHITE!!!!!!wert sr76yipeeeeeeeeeeeee113wt4aee

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Semper in excremento, sole profundum qui variat.
  • Super Title: Coming soon! Official Launch May 2008
« Reply #11 on: December 3, 2004, 09:14:47 am »
Great post John - echoing my feelings totally.

I actuallt think this competition has increased in importance recently as opposed to it's position in the mid-90's.

Big clubs like ourselves and man u have won it, and reached finals, and it has become a really interesting and valuable competition for clubs, rather than a hinderance, as it give the managers, and supporters, a chance to look at the fringe and young players in big game situations.

It'll never be the "big" cup, but it has found it's place, and will flourish from here on as a kind of reserve/youth cup...
I'm no longer on RAWK, but if you need to contact me about anything, you can email me on nigelmorrison@connectfree.co.uk

Offline nige

• RAWK Poet Laureate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: December 3, 2004, 09:37:08 am »

That was to prove only to be the start of things in this cup for us though, a competition Shankly never even wanted to enter was to become synonymous with his successor. Who could forget Sammy Lee dancing in front of Phil Parkes at Wembley as Barney crashed the ball into the net, or the performance from a young Ian Rush in the reply in which the winning goal remains the abiding memory, with the possible exception of the hundreds of flying jacket West Ham skins waiting at the bottom of Witton Lane?

Ronnie Whelan at Wembley gave as good a performance as we have ever seen to almost single-handedly land the trophy twelve months later,
Mickey Mouse Cup? My arse, its our Mickey Mouse Cup!

Class post, John, love the way you draw the history  into Wednesday's performance, and oh yes how we pray the Mickey Mouse Cup can throw up another Rushie or Ronnie for us .... talking of which you seem to have omitted all reference to my favourite Mickey Mouse  final, 1982 at Wembley when we ran the Spurs ragged in extra time & all the goals went in at our  end as we went F~~kin mental.

Offline Maggie May

• A true Grandmother of Sirs. The Next Vera Lynne. The Pigeon Queen. Lobster Botherer Knockout Champ. RAWK's favourite gog. Belshie Gets Hard For Her. Call that a knife??
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit. Semper Fi
« Reply #13 on: December 3, 2004, 10:41:01 am »
Great post John. 

I remember one year (I've no idea which one) when we had pre-match The Parade of the Milk Floats.  Oh they knew how to do glamourous and sophisticated entertainment for the fans in those days.  ::)
Rather a day as a lion than a lifetime as a sheep.

I can only be nice to one person a day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
I tried being reasonable.  I didn't like it.  Old enough to know better.  Young enough not to give a fuck.

Offline nige

• RAWK Poet Laureate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: December 3, 2004, 11:07:07 am »
Great post John. 

I remember one year (I've no idea which one) when we had pre-match The Parade of the Milk Floats.  Oh they knew how to do glamourous and sophisticated entertainment for the fans in those days.  ::)

'81 or  '82  that, defo remember it was either my first or second time at Wembley. Nothing Mickey Mouse about  this cup !
« Last Edit: December 3, 2004, 11:09:04 am by nige »

Offline Kemlyn 28

• Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #15 on: December 3, 2004, 11:23:11 am »
Loads of good posts about this cup,I've got loads of great memories from it,but personally I now think it is a waste of time,sure it was good to see our reserves win the other night,but travelling all the way down to London and paying a "cut price" £30 to see it is not for me.Credit to anyone who did like,but not for me.I never even bothered going down to the Man U final,just couldn't be arsed.

Offline john_mac

• The Scouse Confucius
  • Legacy Fan
  • Only got 3 bullets and there's 4 of Motley Crew
« Reply #16 on: December 4, 2004, 12:40:23 am »
Milk floats were behimd the goal against Everton, in my humble uneducated opinion. Bob Paisley picked up the League Cup INMO,  if anyone ever remebers the interviews after the Everton game every player had to have a bottel of Milk in their hand.

Sorry to  say this mate, but the I couldn't be arsed going the Cup final against Man United is a classic, I can't be arsed breathing tomorrow, ah fuck it maybe I'll go to Villa park instead.
We'll See Things They'll Never See

Offline parr

• Main Stander
« Reply #17 on: December 4, 2004, 10:39:17 pm »
Great post.

Despite the little "unpleasantness" down at Millwall, this year's competition has been really enjoyable, and we have a great chance to win it again.

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Semper in excremento, sole profundum qui variat.
  • Super Title: Coming soon! Official Launch May 2008
« Reply #18 on: December 7, 2004, 01:50:32 pm »
Milk floats were behimd the goal against Everton, in my humble uneducated opinion. Bob Paisley picked up the League Cup INMO,  if anyone ever remebers the interviews after the Everton game every player had to have a bottel of Milk in their hand.

Sorry to  say this mate, but the I couldn't be arsed going the Cup final against Man United is a classic, I can't be arsed breathing tomorrow, ah fuck it maybe I'll go to Villa park instead.

Everton final was 84.

The one Bob picked up the cup was the year before, as Joe was manager by 84...
I'm no longer on RAWK, but if you need to contact me about anything, you can email me on nigelmorrison@connectfree.co.uk

Offline Maggie May

• A true Grandmother of Sirs. The Next Vera Lynne. The Pigeon Queen. Lobster Botherer Knockout Champ. RAWK's favourite gog. Belshie Gets Hard For Her. Call that a knife??
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit. Semper Fi
« Reply #19 on: December 8, 2004, 09:50:26 am »
Everton final was 84.

The one Bob picked up the cup was the year before, as Joe was manager by 84...

I'll bow to your knowledge (honestly, there were so many in those days one gets confused).  I'm only grateful there are people who can still remember the milk floats.  I thought Mr May and me were the only ones left.   
Rather a day as a lion than a lifetime as a sheep.

I can only be nice to one person a day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
I tried being reasonable.  I didn't like it.  Old enough to know better.  Young enough not to give a fuck.

Offline Murf

• RAWK Wino
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sir Bob Paisley 10 years gone but not forgotten
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2005, 04:48:06 pm »
I could read that article a million times, another mickey Mouse final hey
never forget the 96....... justice   www.contrast.org/hillsborough

NO GAME ON APRIL THE 15th please write to

Rick Parry
Chief Executive
Liverpool Football Club
Anfield Road
Liverpool
L4 0TH

Offline ALPH1217

• Legacy Fan
  • "C'MON YOU MIGHTY REDS!"
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2005, 06:17:28 pm »
Interesting article although I've never taken this competition seriously since its inception. It's great that we've done well through the years in this thing but it's way down there on my priority list, that's for sure. Still, I hope we knock off Chelsea and keep our Cardiff record intact.

Offline codger

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #22 on: February 1, 2005, 03:55:02 pm »
Yeah we've had a lot of fun in this comp.  My only final; was 81.  Paid a visit to my brother and the kids for the weekend. 
As for the game:  Would Sammy be considered 'active' now do you think?
And then the replay -with Rushie looking the business- and the Ball going off Sir Billy's knee for No2
And the Hammers fans chucking coins over the barrier; what a cheerful bunch they were

Could really do with a win in Cardiff, and you never know: Jose
's boys HAVE to come unstuck sometime.  Could be Stevie' s last chance to lift a pot for himself - cos John n Terry will be doing it next year.
« Last Edit: February 3, 2005, 01:50:00 am by codger »

Offline Djimi

• Legacy Fan
  • Don't stop believing
    • up the seasiders
« Reply #23 on: February 1, 2005, 04:10:13 pm »
exactly micky mouse cup my arse

a cup is a cup no matter what compition it is in

:champ
LIVERPOOL FC - CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINNERS 2005

I'M A VOYEUR, AND A DAM GOOD ONE AT THAT!

THE GAWA PROVIDED NOT ONLY A 12TH MAN BUT A 13TH AND A 14TH AND 3 MORE ON THE BENCH.

Offline Anfield-Allstar

• Prick
  • Kemlynite
  • 4 times, each one so special, especially Rome '84.
« Reply #24 on: February 1, 2005, 05:20:07 pm »
why would 35'000 scum fans go to cardiff to watch the final 2 years ago if they didnt want to win it!!!!!!

People only call it the mickey mouse cup cos there team never win it!
God bless the 96. We think about you every day and wish it hadn't turned out that way. May You Rest In Peace and YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE

Offline gates of shanks

• Anny Roader
  • Barrow Boys we are here
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2005, 05:57:03 pm »
not at all a mickey mouse cup!
When you walk through a storm
Hold your head up high
And don't be afraid of the dark
At the end of a storm
There's a golden sky
And the sweet silver song of a lark
Walk on through the wind
Walk on through the rain
Though your dreams be tossed and blown
Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart
And you'll never walk alone
Walk on.....

Offline morestellata

• Legacy Fan
  • fiends,romans and fuck off everton!!
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2005, 09:38:12 pm »
Even though we've won it so many times and I've enjoyed every one of them, I still call it the Mickey Mouse cup and the sooner it's sponsored by Walt Disney the better.
1st IS 1st, 2nd IS NOWHERE.
NEVER FORGET NEVER FORGIVE.
NEVER BUY THE SUN.
JUSTICE WILL BE DONE.

Offline BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2005, 10:33:57 am »
Just ask a Toon fan if they would like to win it.   ;D

Offline Forbsie

• Aka Fourbees
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11th August 1977...Remember the Date
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2005, 11:36:20 am »
Just ask a Toon fan if they would like to win it.   ;D

-P-

Would you like to win it  ;)
If Kenny Dalglish had simply played football for Liverpool he would be an Anfield hero. However, the fact that he managed the club to even greater success guarantees him the status of a legend.

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2005, 12:23:09 pm »
Mmmmmm let me think about our recent trophies for a minute.

Inter Cities Fairs Cup - 1969
FA Cup - 1955
Premier League (then called Division One) - 1927

Well bonny lad, after winning no domestic trophy for 50 years i wouldn't say no, would you ?

Offline Forbsie

• Aka Fourbees
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11th August 1977...Remember the Date
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2005, 12:25:46 pm »

FA Cup - 1955

Well bonny lad, after winning no domestic trophy for 50 years i wouldn't say no, would you ?

Never say no to any trophy and lots of happy memories winning this League/Milk/Worthington etc etc Cup

Fingers crossed we'll win it again on the 27th
If Kenny Dalglish had simply played football for Liverpool he would be an Anfield hero. However, the fact that he managed the club to even greater success guarantees him the status of a legend.

Offline Ron

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2005, 01:23:17 pm »

FA Cup - 1955

What about 1993 then ?
That counts as a domestic trophy, doesn't it ?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2005, 03:40:59 pm »
Yeah right, we won the old Division One Championship that year, so what.   ::)

Offline stewartw

• Toot toot to you two too
  • Legacy Fan
  • Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2005, 04:45:22 pm »
Dont matter to me what they are called shiney tin pot that needs a load of Brasso is excactly that and that is what we as a footy club an not a plc are in buisness for
That girl playing no 11 is quality, who she?  That's my daughter and she doesn't want to play for Macclesfield town girls!!

Offline gaz17

• Main Stander
  • Red all over the Land
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2005, 08:48:32 pm »
I LOVE THIS CUP, GREAT DAYS OUT IN CARDIFF, the pens against birminghem and of course stevie and mickey against the manc bastards, roll on next saturday, Cant fucking wait.

Great post by the way got me right up for it.

Offline Мерфи

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2005, 07:14:39 am »
Well in by all!  If I'm not mistaken it's shiney, it's goes clank, and you could fetch a couple of quid for it on ebay  :lickin :champ
Besides that, it is one of the jewels of the vaunted quadruple -- why not make it ours every year.
Never argue with a fool . . . people may not know the difference .