Author Topic: The iPhone  (Read 1041219 times)

Offline CheshireDave

• quite apt, as he's from Gloucestershire and his name's Norman
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The iPhone
« Reply #16240 on: September 13, 2017, 09:16:18 am »
£750 in the US
£999 in the UK
£953 in Australia

Unlucky UK customers.
Fuckin' 'Ell It's Fred Titmus

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #16241 on: September 13, 2017, 09:23:00 am »
Anyone who buys a phone for £1000 is mental, let a lot the fact it's "features" are all 2 years old or about that except the animoji which I can't even believe was made into a feature at a major unveiling.

Terrible, they have gone downhill big time.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16242 on: September 13, 2017, 09:25:33 am »
Anyone who buys a phone for £1000 is mental, let a lot the fact it's "features" are all 2 years old or about that except the animoji which I can't even believe was made into a feature at a major unveiling.

Im getting it but yes that emoji thing is very silly. Who the hell would send one of those?

Offline Yanwoo

• Internet. Serious business.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Not a Man Yoo fan
« Reply #16243 on: September 13, 2017, 09:28:26 am »

Phew...was getting worried we weren't going to have a proper iphone thread here...but...a flurry of posts and we're well on the way...

- what a waste of money! check.
- they've added a stupid novelty feature. check.
- it hasn't changed much. check.
- humorous sheeple image. check.
- people are fooled by the marketing. check.
- android phones had feature X years ago. check.
- they've made an ugly design choice. check.
- why have they removed X - stooopid! check.

We're still missing a few though:

- apple hasn't innovated since Jobs died
- time to sell AAPL, they're toast
- it's only a phone

Not an exact match, but close enough. A couple more and we'll have BINGO!

Offline PhilV

• Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #16244 on: September 13, 2017, 09:29:49 am »
Im getting it but yes that emoji thing is very silly. Who the hell would send one of those?

I can guarantee you my Ma would mate, she loves them big emojis Facebook has as well like the panda thign with a heart baloon, fucking drains me.

Offline PhilV

• Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #16245 on: September 13, 2017, 09:33:41 am »
Not an exact match, but close enough. A couple more and we'll have BINGO!

You're missing one:

- Apple consumers who get offended that others find their products expensive for what they offer, ie: low value for money

Why do you guys feel so attacked when someone makes negative comments regarding Apple? Do you have apersonal connection to the company? Whenever someone says they prefer Android to Apple for price/value for money on flagships (for example, a Samsung S8 has all the iPhone X features with a price of £540 SIM free, 64GB), MicroSD card etc someone takes it as offensive to Apple somehow, baffling.

I used to have an Apple phone up to the 6, then swapped to Android first with HTC then Samsung and PERSONALLY (ie: an opinion) I prefer it's UI, performance and features (I still have to use a iPhone 7 for my work phone) it's not a personal attack on Apple "fans"
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 09:36:48 am by PhilV »

Offline RJ320

• Kopite
  • 17-01-42
« Reply #16246 on: September 13, 2017, 09:33:41 am »
Imagine you could bring Steve Jobs back and he asks Tim Cook "so how's my company doing, how's the iPhone progressed over the years?" And the best selling point he could come up with is animojis. ::)

Used to love iPhones but they've done fuck all for years while raising prices through the roof. Not hard to see why Apple have more money than some small countries, they have a huge following of sheep.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #16247 on: September 13, 2017, 09:34:23 am »

The same people who constantly use Snapchat and Instagram filters I'd guess, which is a huge proportion of the market.

Also, the price is so high due, in part, to Samsung being the only supplier of the OLED screens and they've jacked the price up to Apple to push the price point of the phone up.

Offline Yanwoo

• Legacy Fan
  • Not a Man Yoo fan
« Reply #16248 on: September 13, 2017, 09:36:05 am »

The same was said by some about emoji's...these are just more personalised and customizable emoji's.

My guess: a good number of people will use it, especially in younger demographics. You just need to look at the explosion in the use of personalised 'visuals' in  communication channels, particularly in some demographics, to see why this might be popular. Look at the way many teens use snapchat, for instance, augmenting selfies etc.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #16249 on: September 13, 2017, 09:39:42 am »
* Apple consumers who get offended that others find their products expensive for what they offer, ie: low value for money

I've had 3 years from my 6 and it runs pretty much identical now to the day I got it out the box. Same has gone for previous iPhones I've had before this. Can't say the same for some other manufacturers phones I've had.

Same goes for my Mac. I had my first for over 12 years before I upgraded but it was still running perfectly. Second is going strong 5 years in. In the same time I have had friends and family members who are close to having purchased a double digit number of computers during that time.

Their products are at the top end of the market, for sure, but for me you do get a certain amount of quality and longevity for that premium.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16250 on: September 13, 2017, 09:40:12 am »
The same people who constantly use Snapchat and Instagram filters I'd guess, which is a huge proportion of the market.

Also, the price is so high due, in part, to Samsung being the only supplier of the OLED screens and they've jacked the price up to Apple to push the price point of the phone up.

Not sure that Apple would target teen users with this product. That said, maybe these things are big in asia with older consumers?

I just cringe at voice messages, let alone the idea of a voice message delivered by a lump of shit.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #16251 on: September 13, 2017, 09:43:41 am »
Not sure that Apple would target teen users with this product. That said, maybe these things are big in asia with older consumers?

I just cringe at voice messages, let alone the idea of a voice message delivered by a lump of shit.

Of course they'll target teens. Look at the amount of teens walking around with the latest top of the range phone in their hand - it's a massive market for them and bumping the price £150 or so won't change that.

Offline PhilV

• Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #16252 on: September 13, 2017, 09:47:45 am »
I've had 3 years from my 6 and it runs pretty much identical now to the day I got it out the box. Same has gone for previous iPhones I've had before this. Can't say the same for some other manufacturers phones I've had.

Same goes for my Mac. I had my first for over 12 years before I upgraded but it was still running perfectly. Second is going strong 5 years in. In the same time I have had friends and family members who are close to having purchased a double digit number of computers during that time.

Their products are at the top end of the market, for sure, but for me you do get a certain amount of quality and longevity for that premium.

Good response, Craig.

Personally this is what I feel Apple for well and helps shift views favourably to their side at times:

They only sell higher end equipment, ie: there is no such thing as a budget iMac or Macbook, whereas PC's are determined by the company so you can get a proper shit Toshiba and then think PC's are all shit, same goes for Android phones.

Ultimately if you get a Macbook Pro or whatever and get the equivalent SONY or ASUS or whatever the experience will be comparable, same goes for a Samsung S8 with an iPhone 8 or X I imagine, but then I see people comparing iPhones to budget Android phones and saying better camera etc etc... well of course!?!?

The fact their limit their products to high quality is a good market corner and solidifies them as a "Premium Brand" which is good, but because of said name association I personally find they've jacked up their prices too far and doesn't make them good value for money compared to equal products out there - but for those whoa re not tech minded they know exactly what they are getting and that is good.

Pros and Cons both ways. For me personally it comes down to value for money.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #16253 on: September 13, 2017, 10:04:15 am »
Yeah if you want to talk about comparing features then totally get it's ridiculous comparing a top end iPhone or Mac to a low end Android or Windows PC.

I can't see anyone in here doing that though.

I'm comparing longevity of the products, and how long they work as well as the day you got them. This is a massive part of determining if something is value for money.

My Mac is far from top of the range (it is a mid-range Mac Mini, originally released in late 2011 I think, cost around £800ish). As said it's over 5 years in and working as well today as when I unboxed it. I've personally had numerous PC's (laptops and desktops) which have cost this much or more which I've purchased since and have gone to shit long ago. I've have two family members who have spent over double the cost of my Mac for top of the range desktop PCs and they are constantly complaining about them now. My gf spent over a grand buying a decent HP laptop in January and it's already showing signs of decline - this is after her previous similarly priced HP laptop lasted around 2 years. I'm sure you've probably had or heard similar experiences too.

If you're looking to upgrade every few years then fine, the price is high, but if not (and no one is making anyone) then Apple products last, and they last whilst maintaining their performance.

Offline Rhi

• Rhisuscitated
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16254 on: September 13, 2017, 10:05:19 am »
Pros and Cons both ways. For me personally it comes down to value for money.

Yeah I think that's fair. I won't be spending a grand on a phone, but I did recently spend £1300 on a MacBook because it was perfect for what I needed, and because my experience of Apple products previously matches Craig's - i.e. they last YEARS longer than the equivalent spec non-Apple products. That's the big sell for me - their longevity. My MBA is 5 years old and still works perfectly. Prior to buying that I'd bought 3 Samsung/Sony "ultrabooks" in 3 years. There's just no comparison in terms of staying power, IMO. For phones I feel a bit differently and can't see a time in the near future where I'll spend £600+ on a phone. But I can understand why people opt for Apple over the Android offerings. Some people prefer the OS, some people love the design, and others value the staying power and prefer to spend £1000 once than £400 three times. A lot of people don't have the luxury of being able to make that choice. It is what it is. Silly to have these back-and-forths every year though. Tiresome.
“Above all, I would like to be remembered as a man who was selfless, who strove and worried so that others could share the glory, and who built up a family of people who could hold their heads up high and say 'We're Liverpool'.” - Bill Shankly

Offline Yanwoo

• Legacy Fan
  • Not a Man Yoo fan
« Reply #16255 on: September 13, 2017, 10:07:12 am »
Of course they'll target teens. Look at the amount of teens walking around with the latest top of the range phone in their hand - it's a massive market for them and bumping the price £150 or so won't change that.

Agreed. It's a long term play too, hook 'em when they're young, so when they hit their affluent 30s they're invested in the brand and ecosystem.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #16256 on: September 13, 2017, 10:12:18 am »

Especially when a lot of them will be on a two year contract and paying for the phone over that period, so they're probably going to end up paying maybe £10/15 a month more than they were previously.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Yanwoo

• Legacy Fan
  • Not a Man Yoo fan
« Reply #16257 on: September 13, 2017, 10:14:13 am »
You're missing one:

- Apple consumers who get offended that others find their products expensive for what they offer, ie: low value for money

Why do you guys feel so attacked when someone makes negative comments regarding Apple? Do you have apersonal connection to the company? Whenever someone says they prefer Android to Apple for price/value for money on flagships (for example, a Samsung S8 has all the iPhone X features with a price of £540 SIM free, 64GB), MicroSD card etc someone takes it as offensive to Apple somehow, baffling.

I used to have an Apple phone up to the 6, then swapped to Android first with HTC then Samsung and PERSONALLY (ie: an opinion) I prefer it's UI, performance and features (I still have to use a iPhone 7 for my work phone) it's not a personal attack on Apple "fans"

Haha...true (although I'm not sure there's been much of that in this thread). And vice versa too.

My quip was more that these are pretty much exactly the same critique that get rolled out after pretty much every iphone launch. With alarming consistency...it's groundhog day! Yet, of course, millions still buy and enjoy their iphones.

Offline PhilV

• Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #16258 on: September 13, 2017, 10:23:58 am »
Haha...true (although I'm not sure there's been much of that in this thread). And vice versa too.

My quip was more that these are pretty much exactly the same critique that get rolled out after pretty much every iphone launch. With alarming consistency...it's groundhog day! Yet, of course, millions still buy and enjoy their iphones.

True, at the end of the day I think it might be as basic as "different strikes for different folks" haha everyone likes different things, and that's not a bad thing :)

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16259 on: September 13, 2017, 10:44:24 am »

Pretty much the same.  My 6 was bought when it launched and is still running great.  I already have someone offering me £100 for it if I decide to upgrade to the X. 

We have 5 Mac computers in the house.  Some old, some new.  None have given us a smidge of bother. My 5-year-old MacBook pro is still a beast of a machine. They definitely do give you longevity compared to some other similar products I've owned.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #16260 on: September 13, 2017, 10:51:00 am »
I already have someone offering me £100 for it if I decide to upgrade to the X. 

Envirofone are offering £170 for an unlocked 32GB 6. Think are coupon codes for an additional 5-10% out there too.

Not sure what other places are offering, that was just a quick look.

Offline thejbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16261 on: September 13, 2017, 11:00:21 am »
Envirofone are offering £170 for an unlocked 32GB 6. Think are coupon codes for an additional 5-10% out there too.

Not sure what other places are offering, that was just a quick look.

Its a mate offering so £100 is cool.

Offline thejbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16262 on: September 13, 2017, 11:04:00 am »
£750 in the US
£999 in the UK
£953 in Australia

Unlucky UK customers.

Unlucky? Nah. Brexit was self-inflicted.

Offline Yanwoo

• Legacy Fan
  • Not a Man Yoo fan
« Reply #16263 on: September 13, 2017, 11:07:40 am »

True, but Apple has taken a pretty severe line moving products to USD/GBP parity (or close).

And it's coincided with Apple introducing some higher price tiers which makes it seem worse.

Offline CheshireDave

• quite apt, as he's from Gloucestershire and his name's Norman
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16264 on: September 13, 2017, 11:25:54 am »

Heaven knows how much their products would cost if they were made to pay taxes like an ordinary company!

Have Apple products always cost significantly less in the US than the UK?
Fuckin' 'Ell It's Fred Titmus

Online zero zero

• Karma's a bitch. Innit.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16265 on: September 13, 2017, 11:32:49 am »
Most people have said they wont be spending a grand on a phone as they find it ridiculous. Nobody is asking you not to spend your money on whatever you please. Its your money, burn it for all i care!
Come off it! You rolled into the iPhone and exhorted people to an HP laptop. Without knowing a thing about it, I expect your HP laptop is a plastic piece of crap that will break within a year, has a horrible OS and uses yesterday's technology (does it have the equivalent of a retina screen or an SSD?).
Not wanting to spend a 1K on a phone vs not having the ability to pay 1K on a phone.. Big difference.

Simply put, the Customer Value Proposition is far lower than the cost price of the product as far as I am concerned, so I wont be buying it. Doesn't imply I cannot afford it.
I have no idea whether you can afford an X or not and made no such implication. That's your own insecurities talking.

If by - Customer Value Proposition - you mean that you don't think the X worth the money, so what? Apple launched three phones yesterday and the X is aimed at Early Adopters who have repeatedly paid a premium for the latest tech. I won't be dropping a grand on a phone either.

Mostly though, I don't know why every Apple launch has to be accompanied by a bunch of posters who just have to tell us why they won't be buying Apple products. We don;t care. It's tedious.

Offline thejbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16266 on: September 13, 2017, 11:50:34 am »
Heaven knows how much their products would cost if they were made to pay taxes like an ordinary company!

Have Apple products always cost significantly less in the US than the UK?

Yeah, they've always been cheaper in the US.  That being said, the $999/£999 doesn't take into account tax.  The US price doesn't include any taxes, so in NYC, for example, it'll be $1087.66 at the till.  The UK price includes 20% VAT so the pre-vat price is £832.50 which is a £80 premium or thereabouts.  Apple will probably justify that through shipping costs and giving themselves a buffer against currency fluctuations - the pound isn't exactly bankable these days.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 11:54:26 am by thejbs »

Offline Purple Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red, Green and White Army
« Reply #16267 on: September 13, 2017, 12:21:02 pm »
The scenes when it wouldn't unlock during the unveiling. ;D

Offline Yanwoo

• Legacy Fan
  • Not a Man Yoo fan
« Reply #16268 on: September 13, 2017, 12:50:22 pm »
Yeah, they've always been cheaper in the US.  That being said, the $999/£999 doesn't take into account tax.  The US price doesn't include any taxes, so in NYC, for example, it'll be $1087.66 at the till.  The UK price includes 20% VAT so the pre-vat price is £832.50 which is a £80 premium or thereabouts.  Apple will probably justify that through shipping costs and giving themselves a buffer against currency fluctuations - the pound isn't exactly bankable these days.

Relatively recently, I think they adjusted prices upwards in GBP post-brexit if I recall (I think when they launched the new macbook pro)

Online filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #16269 on: September 13, 2017, 01:40:02 pm »
Pricing seems ludicrous but I'm sure it will still sell well, even Samsung's pricing is getting pretty bloody aggressive now at launch times, as others have said a lot of it is our own fault due to Brexit.

I couldn't justify spending that much on any phone myself

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #16270 on: September 13, 2017, 01:45:54 pm »
Due to the quality of the product the iPhone has a really long lifespan.

There are 2 x 5s and 2 x 6 iphones still doing yeoman duty in my family / extended family.

The 2 x Sony Xperia, 1 x HTC and Samsung phones of similar age have long died and been consigned to the bin.

Online filopastry

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16271 on: September 13, 2017, 01:54:40 pm »
Due to the quality of the product the iPhone has a really long lifespan.

There are 2 x 5s and 2 x 6 iphones still doing yeoman duty in my family / extended family.

The 2 x Sony Xperia, 1 x HTC and Samsung phones of similar age have long died and been consigned to the bin.

I've had plenty of HTC phones which saw extended duty with other users after I upgraded, of course after a while battery degradation gets them all unless you want to pay to change one on an old phone.

I can't imagine me ever using the same phone for 3+ years so to be brutally honest its not a huge priority for me how it will be running at that time, maybe that will change a bit with insane pricing now, but  I suspect I'll just start looking at mid market phones rather than flagships, the gap continues to close and I generally have better things to spend my money on!

Online Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #16272 on: September 13, 2017, 02:07:49 pm »
I have a 6, and have done for 2 and a half years, included no noticeable loss in battery quality, and I give it a good whack. I'll get this, and give the 6 to my daughter as her first phone, and have full confidence it will work perfectly for her. Until she drops it ;D

And am I missing something with the price? Isn't the next Galaxy going to be quite close to a grand?
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #16273 on: September 13, 2017, 02:08:33 pm »

Why you spending 1k on a phone?

I'm in 2 minds but 1k on a phone seems well OTT.

My 6 works perfectly also and I like it.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16274 on: September 13, 2017, 02:11:57 pm »
Why you spending 1k on a phone?

I'm in 2 minds but 1k on a phone seems well OTT.

My 6 works perfectly also and I like it.

Because I am incredibly shallow.

I have the 6 Plus at the moment and was waiting for a more signifcant upgrade really. A bigger screen but a smaller phone seems significant enough.

Online filopastry

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16275 on: September 13, 2017, 02:14:10 pm »
I have a 6, and have done for 2 and a half years, included no noticeable loss in battery quality, and I give it a good whack. I'll get this, and give the 6 to my daughter as her first phone, and have full confidence it will work perfectly for her. Until she drops it ;D

And am I missing something with the price? Isn't the next Galaxy going to be quite close to a grand?

Any battery will take a hit after a few years of heavy usage, not much anyone can do about that with current battery technology, of course it should be gradual and not too noticeable to start with.

I'm not defending Samsung's pricing here either, I think all the flagships are getting to the stage of having daft pricing for ever more marginal improvements in each generation.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #16276 on: September 13, 2017, 02:14:23 pm »

£869.

Doesn't help that Samsung are currently the only manufacturer of the OLED screen in the iPhone X, and are charging Apple around $120-130 per screen compared to the $45-55 in the 7+.

Online Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #16277 on: September 13, 2017, 02:20:08 pm »
Any battery will take a hit after a few years of heavy usage, not much anyone can do about that with current battery technology, of course it should be gradual and not too noticeable to start with.

I'm not defending Samsung's pricing here either, I think all the flagships are getting to the stage of having daft pricing for ever more marginal improvements in each generation.
Yeah, it seems people were complaining about Apple giving it this price, when it seems market. I actually think 800 for the 8+ is a bit more fucking cheeky, purely to get people to stump up the extra for the X.

£869.

Doesn't help that Samsung are currently the only manufacturer of the OLED screen in the iPhone X, and are charging Apple around $120-130 per screen compared to the $45-55 in the 7+.
Ouch.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #16278 on: September 13, 2017, 03:05:31 pm »
Worth noting that for all the technical features of different phones, the build quality of apple phones seems a country mile ahead of the opposition..

Which matters to some but not to others..
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #16279 on: September 13, 2017, 03:06:46 pm »
Worth noting that for all the technical features of different phones, the build quality of apple phones seems a country mile ahead of the opposition..

Good point mate, don't think that's been noted yet  :-X