Author Topic: The Handmaid's Tale (2017 adaptation)  (Read 18442 times)

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
The Handmaid's Tale (2017 adaptation)
« on: March 24, 2017, 04:31:53 am »
Margaret Atwood's dystopian novel from 1985 is getting another adaptation. No doubt there will be much made of how relevant the themes seem to be. The first trailer for the Hulu series, due to start 26th April, seems to really catch the essence of the novel which pleases me greatly.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/PJTonrzXTJs" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/PJTonrzXTJs</a>

"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Handmaid's Tale (2017 adaptation)
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2017, 02:38:10 pm »
That looks very good - think the lead is perfectly cast. Thanks for giving me a series to look forward to!

Have Hulu made series before?

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2017, 03:03:25 pm »
I've only watched one other they've done - The Path. The first series of that was very good, if a bit drawn out. This is only 10 episodes, and Atwood herself was consulted on how best to do it, so it's got every chance of being as stunning as the trailer looks.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2017, 03:04:43 pm »
I've only watched one other they've done - The Path. Very good, if a bit drawn out. This is only 10 episodes, and Atwood herself was consulted on how best to do it, so it's got every chance of being as stunning as the trailer looks.

Oh Atwood was involved? Great!

Hope 10 episodes doesn't draw it out too much, but I'm now feeling very positive thanks!

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2017, 03:07:50 pm »
That looks very good - think the lead is perfectly cast. Thanks for giving me a series to look forward to!

Have Hulu made series before?
They've done a few, like 11-23-63.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline Rysoph76

• 43yo GCSE student. Hello, Hoodie Hater!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dangerous lurker
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2017, 03:30:31 pm »
My A level English Lit exam coursework was a compare and contrast essay on 1984, Brave New World and this so would be very interested to watch it
Stay young and invincible. Come what may we're unstoppable.

Offline Mag Hull

• Lanca Shire
  • Kopite
  • Celebrating National Shite Day since 1968
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2017, 07:24:17 pm »
I love Margaret Attwood and have banged on about Oryx & Crake on the books thread. Thought the film with Natasha Richardson not too shabby, but over 10 episodes they should really be able to get the feel of the book - a pretty prescient bit of commissioning!
Get your fucking hedge cut!!!!

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2017, 11:25:32 pm »
First three episodes were released tonight. Won't have chance to watch them til the weekend myself but the bulk of the reviews have been glowing so far.

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2017, 07:25:51 am »
This is horrific, terrifying  and utterly brilliant. I'm watching this and it's akin to great horror as I'm holding my breath is places....I'd forgotten how scary this story is. This is a story about how a society can go so easily wrong...and how wrong. There's a scene involving a singularly disturbing "ceremony" in the opening episode and I was holding my breath as it took place. The the first three episodes are full of drama, terror and even humour in places...but above all it's pertinent to now and what's going on around us....for me it's telling us wake up and see what's happening to the world before a scenario like this becomes a reality.
Exercise is to the body what reading is to the mind.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2017, 12:18:17 pm »
I snuck in the first episode this morning. It's so intelligently filmed. With an Atwood cameo too. Really looking forward to the rest now.

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2017, 07:53:59 pm »
Just watched the first ep which was very good. Got a nice sinister vibe to it.

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2017, 08:30:38 pm »

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2017, 08:51:50 pm »
Wow dave, high praise.

My girlfriend is going to kill me, but I couldn't resist the other two episodes. It's too compelling - and I went into this knowing the novel, and Atwood's other writing, well.

I love how the director has played with light and colour. There's a real nod to American Gothic about it but it stays the right side of not overdoing it. Love too the subtlety of what is going on in the background - the whole "it becomes normal" theme. It's almost more disturbing to have it done like that rather than have it pushed more overtly at you. It's really well judged.

Spoiler
Also: you can't finish an episode with Simple Minds playing without it being a light nod in the direction of The Breakfast Club. Which is fun at one level and gut punchingly grim on another.
[close]

Not sure when this becomes 'officially' available in the UK, but I hope one of the free to air broadcasters picks it up for a summer run based on the quality of the first three episodes. If it maintains the quality then it's going to be quite something.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 08:55:02 pm by Zeb »

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2017, 09:21:38 pm »
I found the scariest line to the one uttered by Aunt Lydia when she say's “This may not seem ordinary to you right now, but after a time it will.”

It's reminiscent of a line I would expect to have heard spoken by people in the ghettos before they were sent to the death camps, in the hulls of boats full of people who've been stolen from homes and families and sent to the block to be sold...an acceptance that what was once abnormal is now the norm. A process if you will.

A programme I was reminded of was Roots. The same casual, controlling use of violence perpetrated for one reason only, to control...and the rape/ sexual slavery too which I would have thought most people could have become detached from whilst watching Roots.."it was a long time ago," this though is about contemporary women and in the times we're living in must resonate a lot more.

And...wasn't Atwood a bitch. ;D

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2017, 11:35:12 pm »
Spoiler
It's like the first time the bodies on the wall are introduced. It's overt and, yes, those are men hanging there and you're narrated through. The next time, there's a gaggle of handmaids just kicking their heels, slightly to one side, chatting away as another body is put up to hang. It's very cleverly done to desensitise and then throw it back later (as in the hanging at the end of episode three) to make you question again.

As an aside, that still also captures how superbly this has been filmed. The Atlantic's reviewer calls it part Vermeer and part Kubrick.
[close]

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2017, 12:52:28 am »
I read this in high school and found to be a real mindfuhk.

I've since enjoyed lots of other stuff by Atwood. The Blind Assassin, in particular, is a legitimate masterpiece.

I will get around to seeing this at some point, but I think the anticipation of the oppressive atmosphere is putting me off for the time being.

Offline filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2017, 01:51:08 pm »
Really excellent first 3 episodes, any idea when the rest of the season is out?

Online Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2017, 01:58:47 pm »
Is this uk or am I off to Kodi to find?

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2017, 02:00:55 pm »
Really excellent first 3 episodes, any idea when the rest of the season is out?

A new episode every Wednesday for another 7 weeks.

Offline KiNki

• Smicer devotee supreme, Sammy Lee impersonator extraordinaire.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • i am an_nik_ki.
    • http://hfdinfo.com/digital
« Reply #19 on: May 1, 2017, 01:05:39 am »
Well I've watched the first two shows, i like it, was wondering how they'd balance the book's first person narrative with tv show dialogue, i think they've got the balance right so far.

Like the reference to craiglist, tinder etc and the occassional blast of music.

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: May 3, 2017, 01:17:29 am »
I'm 3 eps in and it's gripping stuff. Heavy going at times and hard to watch in parts.
A few minor gripes like the use of well known pop tunes, which doesn't work for me at all. Also Aunt Lydia seems to be popping up everywhere, which feels unconvincing.

Very thought provoking show though. You find yourself wondering how you'd handle it in a situation like that.

Offline KiNki

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • i am an_nik_ki.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #22 on: May 5, 2017, 09:33:49 pm »
Episode 4 was out Wednesday.

Spoiler
Not sure what to make of that one. The deliberate efforts to try and lighten the end seemed too forced after the unremitting grimness of the previous 55 minutes. Still very watchable and excellent. Just a bit too "found a meme, changed the world" in how it handled the story. Can understand an argument that the episode was pure misery from start to finish without it but then that's the point of Gilead...
[close]

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2017, 11:25:19 am »
Watched episodes 3 and 4 last night and all of them have been fascinating. Great connection with the main character, gripping stuff with what happens with and around her ( especially through the flashbacks) and the rest of the characters have promising traits as well.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2017, 05:28:14 pm »
I missed last weeks episode, I was away on my bike....and I also missed the news that this has been given a second season by Hulu. I think this is great news.

Dinner, then two new episodes. 8)

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2017, 12:10:57 pm »
Moss is doing a great job of her character. (Almost) masterfully depicting submission combined with silent rage.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2017, 09:47:07 pm »
Moss is brilliant, yeah. Finally caught up with episode 5 this evening. Really powerful juxtaposition with how they used the flashbacks this time.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2017, 09:20:13 pm »
Not going to read any of the thread yet.

I knew nothing about what the story was about but I had heard of it

Just watching the first one totally brilliant not what I was expecting I thought it was a 19th drama like in the wild west or the Amish.

Not set in a future world.
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2017, 09:23:44 pm »
Not going to read any of the thread yet.

I knew nothing about what the story was about but I had heard of it

Just watching the first one totally brilliant not what I was expecting I thought it was a 19th drama like in the wild west or the Amish.

Not set in a future world.
Think about it.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2017, 01:23:44 pm »
Every. Episode. Is. Brilliant.

Great stuff again in the latest episode. At least a certain couple of scenes stood out and some wonderful character development again.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2017, 11:23:47 pm »
Was that the first female director since the initial three episodes? There was a real punch to that one. Kind of wishing they'd just let it peak at 10 episodes now.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2017, 11:49:18 am »
I'm really 'enjoying' this, in the sense that one can enjoy such a horrific dystopian nightmare...it's very well made. They've done a good job, just watched episode 5...
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2017, 10:00:52 pm »
I'm up to episode four. Does it get any less depressing as it advances?

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2017, 07:53:49 pm »
I'm up to episode four. Does it get any less depressing as it advances?

There are moments of dark humour, but it's true to the novel and unflinching in portraying what Gilead is like. Obviously, no idea how series will end but the novel left the ending for Offred deliberately ambiguous.

Offline Rysoph76

• 43yo GCSE student. Hello, Hoodie Hater!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dangerous lurker
« Reply #34 on: June 1, 2017, 02:54:12 pm »
watched episode 1 on catch up yesterday. Enjoyed it. Looking forward to the rest of the series although i'm shit at keeping up with these series so it will probably take me a year to see all 10.
Stay young and invincible. Come what may we're unstoppable.

Offline saoirse08

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • TRUTH. JUSTICE. ACCOUNTABILITY.
« Reply #35 on: June 1, 2017, 03:56:22 pm »
A tremendous interpretation of the novel so far, after 4 episodes. Elisabeth Moss is just sensational.
“The socialism I believe in is everyone working for each other, everyone having a share of the rewards. It’s the way I see football, the way I see life.”

"The old is dying and the new cannot be born; in this interregnum a great variety of morbid symptoms appear."

Offline KiNki

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • i am an_nik_ki.
« Reply #36 on: June 3, 2017, 03:23:00 am »
There are moments of dark humour

;D

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #37 on: June 3, 2017, 08:55:50 pm »
 ;D

Offline Sahara

• Kopite
  • 8 Dimensional
« Reply #38 on: June 7, 2017, 05:00:10 pm »
I'm thoroughly enjoying the show just finished watching episode 8.
★              ★              ★              ★              ★             ★ 

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2017, 11:20:01 pm »
Finished this today. Very, very good overall. Love these dystopian type things. Felt it slowed a little in the middle and towards the end but can't fault it too much.

Beautifully shot, great music, great cast. Probably some of the best tv I've seen in a long time.
“If Everton were playing down the bottom of my garden, I'd draw the curtains.” - Bill Shankly 1913 - 1981