Author Topic: DC Mega Topic, it's not the MCU  (Read 329423 times)

Offline Mouth

• Loretta the Wool. Closely related to SHF's Trousers....and thought Thomas Müller was down to miss a penno. He's behind yooo. Wants you to say "what?" one more time! Dreams about anal sex but couldn't come even if he wanted to.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Filmed in front of a live studio audience
    • www.bigassfans.com
Re: Superman/Batman film coming 2015
« Reply #160 on: August 23, 2013, 06:27:10 pm »
I think the biggest criticisms aren't even to do with his acting ability as much as the fact that he's just a big soft bastard with no sense of menace and he has a babyface.
Luckily he will be wearing a mask
"Paranoia is a very comforting state of mind. If you think they're out to get you, it means you think you matter"

Jurgen! What is best in life?

Crush your enemies. See dem driven before you. Hear d'lamentations of der vimmen.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #161 on: August 23, 2013, 06:28:12 pm »
Dat jaw.
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline Something Awful

• is stinking out the feedback forum. Wants a blow job from a velociraptor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice
« Reply #162 on: August 23, 2013, 06:28:57 pm »
Luckily he will be wearing a mask

'Despite their  cup pedigree - since they've returned to the top flight in 1962 - Everton have, after today's results, once again gone further in the FA Cup than their much vaunted neighbours. For the record it's Everton 23 Liverpool 22  and 7 ties in 52 seasons'

Offline Mouth

• Loretta the Wool. Closely related to SHF's Trousers....and thought Thomas Müller was down to miss a penno. He's behind yooo. Wants you to say "what?" one more time! Dreams about anal sex but couldn't come even if he wanted to.
  • Legacy Fan
    • www.bigassfans.com
« Reply #163 on: August 23, 2013, 06:32:56 pm »

It also wont be a Joel Schumacher gay wet dream
"Paranoia is a very comforting state of mind. If you think they're out to get you, it means you think you matter"

Crush your enemies. See dem driven before you. Hear d'lamentations of der vimmen.

Offline Skidder.

• Minster. Aka The Censored Baron XII. I remember watching that as a skid!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #164 on: August 23, 2013, 06:33:26 pm »
Dude citing Sum of All Fears, a movie that killed Jack Ryan for 11 years, and Paycheck, a movie that completely and utterly convinced anyone that saw it that Affleck is a terrible action hero does not work.

He's got more bad than good on his cv, and while there's definitely been a upswing in quality, it's not been because he's suddenly grown into the roles he's playing, he's playing roles that fit his talents. Playing a middle aged CIA agent and a dim witted criminal from Boston don't exactly lead him into playing someone completely different.

I think the biggest criticisms aren't even to do with his acting ability as much as the fact that he's just a big soft bastard with no sense of menace and he has a babyface.

No, you're mistaken. The film, Sum of all Fears, didn't live up to the expectations of the very, niche'd and precious fans of Jack Ryan and Tom Clancey. The film, was decent, just decent compared to the previous Jack Ryan films. But don't be foolhardy in thinking that this was due to Affleck's portrayal of Jack Ryan, he's just going to be the fall guy, the script and the marketing was shit. If you look into the history of Jack Ryan films, they have all been succesfull and pretty well received. There were so many factors as to why this film didn't do as well that it's seriously easy to see. But that is a different portion of chips totally, apples and oranges...

But more to the point, Affleck was good in this and if it shows anything it's that he can in fact step into the role that has been shaped by someone else's face. (Ford and Baldwin).

Don't let the film rule the man no more than you can let the man rule the film.

And what exactly is "wrong" with Paycheck exactly?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 06:38:16 pm by Shauno »
Continually on 11,420.

Offline Something Awful

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice
« Reply #165 on: August 23, 2013, 06:46:06 pm »
No, you're mistaken. The film, Sum of all Fears, didn't live up to the expectations of the very, niche'd and precious fans of Jack Ryan and Tom Clancey. The film, was decent, just decent compared to the previous Jack Ryan films. But don't be foolhardy in thinking that this was due to Affleck's portrayal of Jack Ryan, he's just going to be the fall guy, the script and the marketing was shit. If you look into the history of Jack Ryan films, they have all been succesfull and pretty well received. There were so many factors as to why this film didn't do as well that it's seriously easy to see. But that is a different portion of chips totally, apples and oranges...

But more to the point, Affleck was good in this and if it shows anything it's that he can in fact step into the role that has been shaped by someone else's face. (Ford and Baldwin).

Don't let the film rule the man no more than you can let the man rule the film.

And what exactly is "wrong" with Paycheck exactly?

Haven't seen it in years, but all I remember is it being terrible and Affleck being terrible. The majority of reviews seem to agree. As does Affleck himself. As for Sum of All Fears, have you ever read the full series? Affleck was a horrible choice and helped ruin a pretty poorly conceived movie.

Jesus, looking at his filmography he did Daredevil, Gigli, Paycheck, Surviving Christmas and Jersey Girl in a row. The first three he won the golden raspberry, the latter two he was nominated for it. Unreal.
'Despite their  cup pedigree - since they've returned to the top flight in 1962 - Everton have, after today's results, once again gone further in the FA Cup than their much vaunted neighbours. For the record it's Everton 23 Liverpool 22  and 7 ties in 52 seasons'

Offline Something Awful

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice
« Reply #166 on: August 23, 2013, 06:47:10 pm »
And the point is that he's just not a guy who could play Batman. Neither is JGL, neither is Orlando Bloom, neither is Johnny Depp or George Clooney or Matt Damon or any number of talented actors.

Offline Mouth

• Legacy Fan
    • www.bigassfans.com
« Reply #167 on: August 23, 2013, 06:48:52 pm »
I think he is a very, very good choice indeed. He's a very safe choice and it makes good, sound sense to me. Still though, I do wonder why he has accepted the role, because he is successfully carving himself out a career as an allround indie director/actor. (and doing a bloody good job about it too). It does make me wonder, it makes me wonder a lot as to why he would choose the role. I mean, who wouldn't accept the role of Batman, I know I would. But with playing in Daredevil, and getting slated for his portrayal; then going on the path that he has, it almost feels a bit like a back step, in one sense or another.

I think for a few reasons. First being you don't say no if you get asked, like any of the iconic roles, like say Bond, they ask you do it. Secondly if its successful it will afford him more power, more power to do projects he wants to do, it will open more doors in terms of finance and opportunity. Think he had a big struggle to get Argo made, wont be the case if this works out.

Online OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #168 on: August 23, 2013, 06:50:31 pm »
Saw some mention Gosling as a Hollywood-choice Batman on the last page. Completely true. He's better off serving as Steve Trevor in the Wonder Woman movie that they will never make.

Offline Mouth

• Legacy Fan
    • www.bigassfans.com
« Reply #169 on: August 23, 2013, 06:52:15 pm »
And the point is that he's just not a guy who could play Batman. Neither is JGL, neither is Orlando Bloom, neither is Johnny Depp or George Clooney or Matt Damon or any number of talented actors.
He is and he will prove it.

This sort of thinking highlights why its such a good casting and why its left field. Because so many people are writing him off before he has even started, he will prove you wrong.

As others have stated if there are any problems with this, its not going to be Affleck, it'll be down to the script and the director.

Offline Something Awful

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice
« Reply #170 on: August 23, 2013, 06:54:28 pm »
He is and he will prove it.

This sort of thinking highlights why its such a good casting and why its left field. Because so many people are writing him off before he has even started, he will prove you wrong.

As others have stated if there are any problems with this, its not going to be Affleck, it'll be down to the script and the director.

You're right, casting him means expectations have been lowered so that unless he turns up overweight with a barely masked Boston accent he'll achieve them.

Offline Mouth

• Legacy Fan
    • www.bigassfans.com
« Reply #171 on: August 23, 2013, 07:03:48 pm »
You're right, casting him means expectations have been lowered so that unless he turns up overweight with a barely masked Boston accent he'll achieve them.
I don't think you should watch it, we might have to put you on suicide watch if it doesn't live up to your narrow personal expectations.

Offline Something Awful

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice
« Reply #172 on: August 23, 2013, 07:06:37 pm »
I don't think you should watch it, we might have to put you on suicide watch if it doesn't live up to your narrow personal expectations.

You act like I'm in the minority here.

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #173 on: August 23, 2013, 07:08:03 pm »
Haven't seen it in years, but all I remember is it being terrible and Affleck being terrible. The majority of reviews seem to agree. As does Affleck himself. As for Sum of All Fears, have you ever read the full series? Affleck was a horrible choice and helped ruin a pretty poorly conceived movie.

Jesus, looking at his filmography he did Daredevil, Gigli, Paycheck, Surviving Christmas and Jersey Girl in a row. The first three he won the golden raspberry, the latter two he was nominated for it. Unreal.

Whilst Affleck didn't fully develop the character as well as Baldwin and Ford did, he didn't do too much of a bad job considering the shoes he had to fill. And personally, I think he did a very good job under circumstances, I genuinely do not see how he, himself, alone is the true reason behind the flopping of this film. I went to see it in the pictures with some other students at the time and to be honest, I'm not sure how it was marketed over here, but it was one of those films of 01/02 that had it's opening delayed due to the content and plot of the film. The film itself received a shelling stateside as it was pressured into being pulled all together and when it was released, a lot of theaters didn't play it due to the controversy. Basically, it bombed, waaaayyyy before it's release and Affleck was at the centre of it.

Edit: (Sorry should say that I was Stateside then)...  ???

I implore you to watch it again before you categorically state that Affleck's role is as bad as you are saying. He's no Harrison Ford, he's no Alec Baldwin, he sketched out his own role and I don't think he did a bad job. I think the film is underrated, but I also think that the cut that came out, didn't do itself any favours.

And to answer your question mate, no, I have never picked up a Tom Clancey novel in my life.

Daredevil was shit yes, I can't argue with that, it was crap, crap, crap; as was a few Superhero movies at that time, it focussed on Style without Substance. I haven't seen Gigli so I'm not in a position to criticise it. Surviving Christmas, I haven't seen it since my girl made me watch it at the time, but I remember him being good in it. I haven't seen Jersey Girl, so I couldn't comment on Afflek's role in it.

Affleck has had his fair share of haters in the past and it isn't just because of his acting abilities. Do you remember the fucking furore that surrounded him after that fucking film... The one were he dates Liv Tyler? - He was a pin-up after that film!. My ex (and all our friends), loved him and as a result, he instantly became, what Robert Pattison is today. It didn't help his outward and open personality too, he has pissed off a lot of Hollywood in the past with his "big mouth".

But back on track. Good choice, Moneyball type of choice and I'm sure he'll do well, I actually hope he does well. 

« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 07:12:22 pm by Shauno »
Continually on 11,420.

Offline Mouth

• Legacy Fan
    • www.bigassfans.com
« Reply #174 on: August 23, 2013, 07:08:11 pm »
You act like I'm in the minority here.
You're a very vocal minority who take it all far too seriously, you should go sign the petition to get Affleck booted off.

Offline Something Awful

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice
« Reply #175 on: August 23, 2013, 07:10:47 pm »
You're a very vocal minority who take it all far too seriously, you should go sign the petition to get Affleck booted off.

Do you have Twitter?

Offline Beav

• Football is impatient. Loves Vader's Helmet.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #176 on: August 23, 2013, 07:17:38 pm »
What Mouth is getting at is that literally all we have to go on is that its Ben Affleck. No script, no plot, no trailer, no images, nothing. So really we are just speculating, but youve pretty much written it off as if youve been and reviewed it already.

Basically, give him a chance.
Twitter:  http://twitter.com/__Beav

Ah. Another Manchester United fan crashes out from the woodwork like a bemused koala that has taken three hits of crystal meth.

Offline Something Awful

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice
« Reply #177 on: August 23, 2013, 07:19:15 pm »
What Mouth is getting at is that literally all we have to go on is that its Ben Affleck. No script, no plot, no trailer, no images, nothing. So really we are just speculating, but youve pretty much written it off as if youve been and reviewed it already.

Basically, give him a chance.

I tried that earlier in the thread. Then I got Afflecked, haha.

I'll still see it, like, but it's a bad idea and doesn't fill me with faith for their vision.

Offline Sir Harvest Fields

• And it burns, burns, burns, the ring of fire. Generally an all-round decent fella but owes a great debt to felines globally. And to Jim. Shine On, You Crazy Diamond. "Winston? Winston! WINSTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • Quicker Than Yngwie? Maybe!
« Reply #178 on: August 23, 2013, 07:24:14 pm »
Bet you lot are fun in the pre season threads...
"Woe to you, Oh Earth and Sea, for the Devil sends the beast with wrath, because he knows the time is short...Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number, its number is Six hundred and sixty six."

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #179 on: August 23, 2013, 07:25:55 pm »
I think for a few reasons. First being you don't say no if you get asked, like any of the iconic roles, like say Bond, they ask you do it. Secondly if its successful it will afford him more power, more power to do projects he wants to do, it will open more doors in terms of finance and opportunity. Think he had a big struggle to get Argo made, wont be the case if this works out.

I honestly think in The Dark Knight Rises, Bale's Batman was becoming a bit stale and stagnant. He was vehemently overshadowed totally in The Dark Knight and whilst he played a fine role in Batman Begins, he still went at it with broad strokes if you ask me. I enjoyed Bale's performances, I really did and I think he's a great actor, but as I say, I found his definition of Batman/BW a bit too polarised. (Which is something that I said from Dark Knight).

Clooney was far too pedestrian, and the movie was terribly produced, terribly scripted and Joel Schumacher should just hang his head in shame. However, as I say, Clooney didn't explore the character at all, he was there as a reader and for all intents and purposes, Schumacher's Batman's are all about the interplaying ensemble than anything else. So I mean, whilst people severley criticise Clooney's Batman, I don't blame Clooney himself, I blame the film itself. He did what he could with what he had at the time.

Practically, I'd pretty much say the same about Kilmer. What Kilmer did was to create a pastiche of a character, struggling with the dynamism of his own character, and his need for duality. Whilst this didn't really come across so much in the film, it was all about BIG characters, BIG actors portraying the characters that they fleshed out. What is interesting about Kilmer's role is the very distinct themes where he almost fights to keep Batman and Bruce Wayne apart.

But then, for me, personally, Keaton played Batman/BW to a tee. Slightly quirky, slightly sinister and almost with a naive charm that shows the duplicitous nature of Batman/BW. His physicality and manner is what sold it for me, even clown-like in his ways at times.

I think each have their own merits to a degree, and whilst personally I do have favourites, professionally I can objectively see the performances and governing dynamics of each outing and I think they should all, more or less, be given their own status within a series.

Affleck is a good choice, he has a good bit of stock since Argo and The Town and whilst I didn't like him when Armageddon came out, he has certainly grown on me as an all round performer.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 07:28:11 pm by Shauno »
Continually on 11,420.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #180 on: August 23, 2013, 07:47:21 pm »

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #181 on: August 23, 2013, 07:58:03 pm »
Hahaha. Good shout that like. (Even though I ain't seen it).
Continually on 11,420.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #182 on: August 23, 2013, 08:40:58 pm »
Some of you are as bad as the knee jerk twats in STFU. And I say that as someone not a fan whatsoever of Affleck.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #183 on: August 23, 2013, 08:42:52 pm »
Some of you are as bad as the knee jerk twats in STFU. And I say that as someone not a fan whatsoever of Affleck.

A fan of Batman though right?
Continually on 11,420.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #184 on: August 23, 2013, 09:20:47 pm »
Yes, why?

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #185 on: August 23, 2013, 09:23:28 pm »
Continually on 11,420.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #186 on: August 23, 2013, 09:29:41 pm »
About what? The casting or the film as a whole? For both I'm in wait and see camp. It's too early to decide anything. I'd say though, that if you've already decided it'll be shite, you should probably move on to something else you're a bit more positive about.

Online OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #187 on: August 23, 2013, 09:34:44 pm »
Coming through now that Cranston will be Luthor, Damon is their top pick for Aquilani, and Mark Strong could return as Sinestro if they choose.

Apparently Affleck signed a 13 picture deal and Cranston will be in a minimum of 6 and up to 10 films.

http://movies.cosmicbooknews.com/content/exclusive-bryan-cranston-lex-luthor-batman-superman-matt-damon-Aquilani-mark-strong-sinestro

This is all in addition to the fact that Charlie Hunnam is The Flash in all of their private concept art for that project right now.

EDIT: FFS mods its been years, please allow us to say Aquaman again on this forum ;D
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 09:38:25 pm by OsirisMVZ »

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #188 on: August 23, 2013, 09:37:07 pm »
I think it's a masterstroke, so many fanboys still bitter about Daredevil, a second rate adaptation of a third rate character, that they will queue round the block to see this movie just for the pleasure of being the first to take to twitter and slate it afterwards. Then they'll go back to get the bits they really hated down pat and come up with lame "satirical" tweets about line-specific moments, and then they'll enjoy all the bile so much they'll go and see it again just to remember the hilarious things other people wrote about "that" scene - all the time raving about what a terrible movie this is and breaking box office records left, right and centre.

None of this will reflect the quality of the film itself, or the performance of Ben Affleck.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Online Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #189 on: August 23, 2013, 09:40:09 pm »
Coming through now that Cranston will be Luthor, Damon is their top pick for Aquilani, and Mark Strong could return as Sinestro if they choose.

Apparently Affleck signed a 13 picture deal and Cranston will be in a minimum of 6 and up to 10 films.

http://movies.cosmicbooknews.com/content/exclusive-bryan-cranston-lex-luthor-batman-superman-matt-damon-Aquilani-mark-strong-sinestro

This is all in addition to the fact that Charlie Hunnam is The Flash in all of their private concept art for that project right now.

I've seen the Cranston rumours (though he'd be far better as Commissioner Gordon) but I don't believe the rest of that report. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think there's a chance Affleck signed a 13-picture deal.

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #190 on: August 23, 2013, 09:47:46 pm »
I've seen the Cranston rumours (though he'd be far better as Commissioner Gordon) but I don't believe the rest of that report. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think there's a chance Affleck signed a 13-picture deal.

I would have to agree with you. That's ridiculous. That's as many as all the Connery and Moore Bond films put together.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: August 23, 2013, 09:48:00 pm »

EDIT: FFS mods its been years, please allow us to say Aquaman again on this forum ;D
that link also says you're playing Plastic Man, congrats!

Offline Mouth

• Legacy Fan
    • www.bigassfans.com
« Reply #192 on: August 23, 2013, 09:52:17 pm »
f its true wont be 13 batman films, it will be to make 13 different films.

Interesting if true as it makes even more sense him taking the job, a 13 picture deal is mucho dollar.

Online OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #193 on: August 23, 2013, 09:59:57 pm »
Yeah he'll be in and out of the other ones like Samuel Jackson in the Marvel ones.

Bet you Afleck fucking fleeced WB for everything he possibly could. 13 films as Batman and they've probably blind-greenlit his next directorial pitch as well.

Online Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #194 on: August 24, 2013, 12:52:24 am »
Hollywood Reporter was saying today that Nolan tried to get Affleck to direct Man of Steel before they got Snyder.

Would love to see him direct the next Batman solo flick, although might be difficult to both direct and star in such a huge film.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: August 24, 2013, 04:30:22 am »
He will direct JLA.

Offline Something Awful

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice
« Reply #196 on: August 24, 2013, 05:58:23 am »
Cranston is a great pick to play an evil bald mastermind. I wish they'd kept Spacey though, he was ace I thought.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: August 24, 2013, 06:11:17 am »
Cranston is a great pick to play an evil bald mastermind. I wish they'd kept Spacey though, he was ace I thought.

Aaron Paul for Robin now.

Offline rob1408

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #198 on: August 24, 2013, 06:23:05 am »
I think Affleck will do a good job.  In my opinion he's a very good actor that took his eye off the ball during the whole 'Bennifer' thing, that damaged his reputation, perhaps unfairly, but he's finally got his career back on track.

A brave choice, but one that I think will work.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #199 on: August 24, 2013, 07:27:51 am »
"A man loses forty cakes at a party and you think that of me? No Superman. I steal the cakes."