Author Topic: The Metal thread. Show your horns!  (Read 180727 times)

Offline kinkytones

• Anny Roader
  • Ta for the profile reset. Bellends
Re: The metal thread. Show your horns!
« Reply #120 on: August 24, 2009, 07:17:35 pm »
"Our purpose was to document the event" - Mossad agents arrested on 9/11 caught filming the attacks.

Offline penfold102

• It remains unclear as to whether "102" refers to my IQ or my dad's age - let RAWK decide! :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #121 on: August 25, 2009, 09:48:40 am »
I don't mind them, I just can't stand the artsy faggot brigade that follow them... "Oh it's sooo unique and doomy, and heavy". It's alright like but I despise it when people try to intellectualise it. The same people wouldn't even like it was nothing to do with Stephen O'Malley.

Agreed, met O'Malley at the Patton/Melvins ATP last year. Seemed a nice enough guy but there were some proper arselickers hanging around him at all times. Not a massive Sunn ))) fan but I am enjoying the new album - Attila's voice is quite mesmerising.

In my experience, if you want to listen to some good doom, buy an ASVA cd.
Fils et pere - Trade count of 35+

What's tomato with you?

Offline Henry Chinaski

• Gay for Dirk, wants him naked.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #122 on: August 25, 2009, 02:21:31 pm »
Any deathcore-fans? Currently enjoying a slice of Job For a Cowboy. Really love that all-surrounding Metal Blade-sound on almost all of those releases of the past few years. (God Dethroned, Goatwhore, JfaC, Behemoth, ...)

Can't help it, I'm not a genre-purist (before all the anti-deathcore-comments get spouted ;))
"I look at life like a big book and sometimes you get half way through it and go 'Even though I've been enjoying it, I've had enough. Give us another book'"
~ Karl Pilkington

Offline Eluamous

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #123 on: August 25, 2009, 11:03:32 pm »
I quite like BMTH. No idea why, I usually can't stand deathcore and Oli Sykes is such a twat... yet I still like 'em ???

Offline Henry Chinaski

• Legacy Fan
"I look at life like a big book and sometimes you get half way through it and go 'Even though I've been enjoying it, I've had enough. Give us another book'"
~ Karl Pilkington

Offline Henry Chinaski

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: August 27, 2009, 10:52:22 am »
~ Karl Pilkington

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: August 28, 2009, 12:12:12 am »
Just got home from seeing Deftones at Kentish Town Forum... fuuuuucking hell they were amazing tonight. Been top of my 'favourite band' list for a long time but no-one's even in touching distance now.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: August 28, 2009, 11:22:48 pm »
Just heard a tune by pre Van Halen Sammy Hagar with a band called Montrose.

Excellent rocking guitar Track called Bad Motor Scooter.

Think I'll check out a bit more of Montrose and early Hagar stuff.

Any recommendations?

Offline Capon Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
« Reply #128 on: August 28, 2009, 11:57:27 pm »
Dont know much by these,but used to love these 2 tracks when I was younger. brother used to always play them when he came round to mine.and we'd fuck up some people on the K dancefloor when we were out ;D

Otep - T.R.I.C
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/0epEAyyzyyA&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/0epEAyyzyyA&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1</a>

Otep - Blood Pigs
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/w4kdO24qgH0&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/w4kdO24qgH0&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1</a>
MAM!!! OUR BARRYS WEARING ME UNDIES AGAIN!! TELL HIM WILL YE!!

https://thedeadradiobroadcast.bandcamp.com/releases
https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com

Offline astowell1

• Legacy Fan
  • Klopp!
« Reply #129 on: August 29, 2009, 01:39:28 am »
Metallica are the fucking shizzle, just thought I would add that :D

Love metal, hate the metal community.

Offline Red_Isle_Chap

• Hairy Fool
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blimey!
« Reply #130 on: September 2, 2009, 11:10:37 am »
Metallica are the fucking shizzle, just thought I would add that :D

Love metal, hate the metal community.
I have no idea what "the fucking shizzle" is, but Megadeth have just crushed Metallica. Again. New album out called Endgame and I think it's a fucking pearler of an album. It's heavy, fast and pure, pure megadeth. Of course it's only opinion, but for me they've really shat on metallica from a great hight over the last few years.

Just out of curiosity Fernando-9-Torres, who do you mean by the metal community? I'm genuinely interested as bar a few of my close mates who are into the same sort of music as me, I generally find the average metal gig goer a bit of a twat. But I have realised that's because they're normally younger than me and now that i'm over 30 I regard the youth of today as generally being twats. No offence to some of you nice, under 30 street urchins that are on here.

Then again, when I was in my early 20's I was an utter twat, and I probably still am ;D
And when you find yourself along the untrodden path
Remember me with a smile, a drink, a gesture or a laugh
And a toast for the man who loves every hour of every day
And a feast for the friends and faces met along way
Gratitude

Offline Henry Chinaski

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: September 2, 2009, 01:52:47 pm »
I have no idea what "the fucking shizzle" is, but Megadeth have just crushed Metallica. Again. New album out called Endgame and I think it's a fucking pearler of an album. It's heavy, fast and pure, pure megadeth. Of course it's only opinion, but for me they've really shat on metallica from a great hight over the last few years.
Whole lotta truth. New album kicks ass. Although one can argue if any of the big 4 (5? with Testament) thrash metal-bands are really that relevant anymore.
~ Karl Pilkington

Offline Red_Isle_Chap

• Hairy Fool
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blimey!
« Reply #132 on: September 2, 2009, 01:58:37 pm »
Whole lotta truth. New album kicks ass. Although one can argue if any of the big 4 (5? with Testament) thrash metal-bands are really that relevant anymore.
Depends if you like them or not. Megadeth and Testament are still very, very good and I enjoy their stuff. The others not as much, although Slayer are still good. If they're still thrash? I get confused :P
Gratitude

Offline Tom Illi

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #133 on: September 2, 2009, 02:02:42 pm »
Thought Deftones were boss at Reading but the crowd just stood there watching, no atmosphere at all which ruined it.

Offline Juan Loco

• down in Acapulco. LIkes 'em salty and succulent, the wee lambies!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We've got our valuation and we're sticking to it
« Reply #134 on: September 2, 2009, 05:00:35 pm »

We could have philosophical debates about whether any music is really relevent. Musically it's not innovative, but lyrically? Mustaine has still got more going for him than the more musically innovative bands whose lyrics are 'abstract' to be kind or "fucking pointless" to be honest.

I've only heard a couple of tracks off the new album. It - along with new Isis, which I haven't heard yet, hence no reply sorry - is next on my list of "albums" to buy.

Oh, and the songs do sound kick ass, which again puts Drab Magnet into perspective. Just because it's the best Metallica album in years doesn't make it anything other than a poor album.

The songs I've heard on the new album sound like the better elements of the last few albums and 'modern' metal with the best stuff off KIMB, just with a much more palatable tone. Looking forward to hearing it all and seeing what sort of Megadeth guitarist Chris Broderick turns out to be.
"It's the football philosophy that counts, not the system."

A fully signed-up member of SPAS
The Stuart Pearce Apologist Society

Offline Red_Isle_Chap

• Hairy Fool
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blimey!
« Reply #135 on: September 2, 2009, 05:55:51 pm »
We could have philosophical debates about whether any music is really relevent. Musically it's not innovative, but lyrically? Mustaine has still got more going for him than the more musically innovative bands whose lyrics are 'abstract' to be kind or "fucking pointless" to be honest.

I've only heard a couple of tracks off the new album. It - along with new Isis, which I haven't heard yet, hence no reply sorry - is next on my list of "albums" to buy.

Oh, and the songs do sound kick ass, which again puts Drab Magnet into perspective. Just because it's the best Metallica album in years doesn't make it anything other than a poor album.

The songs I've heard on the new album sound like the better elements of the last few albums and 'modern' metal with the best stuff off KIMB, just with a much more palatable tone. Looking forward to hearing it all and seeing what sort of Megadeth guitarist Chris Broderick turns out to be.
Both albums are top, top quality Juan, you won't be dissapionted at all.

Isis are such a good band, but I find I have to be very selective as to when I can listen to them, if i'm not in the right mood then I really can't be arsed. But the new one is awsome. I'm not sure if it's as good as Panopticon or Oceanic (which is still my fave), but it's pretty fucking massive!

As for the Megadeth, I haven't heard them sounding this good for a whole album for a long time. I remember when I heard Kick the Chair and I though "fuck me if the whole albums like this it'll be awsome". System fell short on a few songs and some of the others were more melodic. This one is solo-tastic and reminds me in places of Rust in Peace, which is heavy praise. It still needs more listens, but it sounds so utterly killer and fresh it's quite startling really.
Gratitude

Offline andrewt67

• Kopite
« Reply #136 on: September 3, 2009, 07:29:04 am »
Just heard a tune by pre Van Halen Sammy Hagar with a band called Montrose.

Excellent rocking guitar Track called Bad Motor Scooter.

Think I'll check out a bit more of Montrose and early Hagar stuff.

Any recommendations?

The album simply titled "Montrose" is the one to get, featuring Bad Motor Scooter, Space Station No. 5, and Rock The Nation.

Also, Ronnie Montrose had a spin-off project called Gamma..........they only made 2 albums to my knowledge, entitled Gamma1 and Gamma2.

Offline Juan Loco

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: September 8, 2009, 04:41:29 pm »
Any Acid Bath fans about? Been listening to them repeatedly over the last few days, just getting reaquianted. What a fucking incredible band. I don't know how to describe them to anyone who hasn't heard them. They're down as kind of sludgy stoner metal I guess but there's so much more to it than that. They've got beautiful ballads and songs with just haunting acoustics, and they've got some tunes with just crushing riffs and drumming that at could be grind or just very heavy metal/death metal. Just a wonderfully unique band.

If you're not a fan already Mr Chinaski I dare say you might like 'em.

Just a few songs to show how broad their infleunces are...

Jezebel

Toubabo Koomi

Venus Blue

Bones of Baby Dolls

Bleed Me an Ocean - one of the coolest songs ever. Shame the ending is cut off.

Paegan Love Song

Something for everything there. A couple of brutal tunes off the first album, a couple of nice 'ballads' and two amazing songs off the 2nd album. Bleed me an Ocean in particular is just lush.

I was riding the turbulence, an ocean of hades, the taste of dead sex on my tongue...
« Last Edit: September 8, 2009, 04:43:44 pm by Juan Loco »

Offline Red_Isle_Chap

• Hairy Fool
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blimey!
« Reply #138 on: September 9, 2009, 10:07:11 am »
Any Acid Bath fans about? Been listening to them repeatedly over the last few days, just getting reaquianted. What a fucking incredible band. I don't know how to describe them to anyone who hasn't heard them. They're down as kind of sludgy stoner metal I guess but there's so much more to it than that. They've got beautiful ballads and songs with just haunting acoustics, and they've got some tunes with just crushing riffs and drumming that at could be grind or just very heavy metal/death metal. Just a wonderfully unique band.

If you're not a fan already Mr Chinaski I dare say you might like 'em.

Just a few songs to show how broad their infleunces are...

Jezebel

Toubabo Koomi

Venus Blue

Bones of Baby Dolls

Bleed Me an Ocean - one of the coolest songs ever. Shame the ending is cut off.

Paegan Love Song

Something for everything there. A couple of brutal tunes off the first album, a couple of nice 'ballads' and two amazing songs off the 2nd album. Bleed me an Ocean in particular is just lush.

I was riding the turbulence, an ocean of hades, the taste of dead sex on my tongue...
I've never heard AB before, thanks for that Juan, sounds fucking excellent. Dammit another band that i need to add to the collection!
Gratitude

Offline Red_Isle_Chap

• Hairy Fool
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blimey!
« Reply #139 on: September 17, 2009, 03:16:43 pm »
Another new one for the lovers of all things extreme....

Excellent slab of black metal. It's nasty, it's grim, it's blisteringly fast in places whilst being very atmospheric with some excellent changes of pace. All in all, it's a bit of a beauty. Then again, I love black metal, so i'm biased..... ;D
Gratitude

Offline Eluamous

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: September 17, 2009, 06:37:57 pm »
Slayer. Manc Academy. 20th November. Ohfuckyeah :)

Offline Red_Isle_Chap

• Hairy Fool
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blimey!
« Reply #141 on: September 17, 2009, 07:55:59 pm »
Slayer. Manc Academy. 20th November. Ohfuckyeah :)
To be fair to Slayer, they've never let me down once when i've seen them, be it at a festival or a smaller gig. They are fucking great ;D
Gratitude

Offline Eluamous

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: September 18, 2009, 01:34:28 pm »
To be fair to Slayer, they've never let me down once when i've seen them, be it at a festival or a smaller gig. They are fucking great ;D
Yeah I saw them at Download 2007 and The Unholy Alliance, boss both times (somehow managed to be too loud at the latter though).

Next year's shaping up nicely for gigs so far; Lamb Of God and Machine Head in Feb and Trivium in March.

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
  • Call Meeeeeee The Splund
« Reply #143 on: September 18, 2009, 01:59:50 pm »
Some (personal) thoughts on bands...

Every time it's the same with Megadeth. Every time. 'This new album is killer, lyrics are amazing'... and it goes nowhere.

I love Megadeth, been to see them more than once since "So Far, So Good..." and Mustaine's lyrics are always thought provoking and smart but they're nowhere near Metallica (who until Death Magnetic have themselves fallen off over the last few offerings). Metallica are where they are for a reason, it's no fluke selling out millions of records, sold out shows, being in the hall of fame, and doing it for this long.

Machine Head - A killer, killer band. Saw them back on their first tour, met the band and have signed albums, you couldn't meet nicer, down to earth guys. They've stuck in and stuck through the tough times and outlasted Pantera amongst others. Robb's lyrics have Always been wonderful, and songs like "Clenching The Fists of Dissent" are just amazing.

Trivium - I feel they go out of their way too much trying to sound like Metallica and it's hard to take him seriously when Matt screams in that voice.

Offline jarg of pickled onions

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: September 26, 2009, 10:20:31 am »
Any Rammstein fans? Got my tickets for Manchester in Feb. Can't wait!

Offline Eluamous

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: September 26, 2009, 02:34:30 pm »
Any Rammstein fans? Got my tickets for Manchester in Feb. Can't wait!
40 quid a pop isn't it? Fuck that...

Offline Red_Isle_Chap

• Hairy Fool
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blimey!
« Reply #146 on: September 27, 2009, 12:00:01 am »
This is the cover to "All Shall Fall" the first Immortal album to be released since 2002's "sons of Northern Darkness". And it's a fucking monster of an album. It's fast in places, slow in others, very dark and very, very Immortal. They haven't just slapped something together to make some cash, it's a great, great album!

Once i've finished listening to that, the next on my list is this:

Anyone heard it yet? I'll report back on it soon........

Ahhhhhh, I fucking love Extreme Metal. Not Extreme the band, let me make that very clear ;D
Gratitude

Offline lfc_bhoy

• muppet
  • Legacy Fan
  • You is getting twatted, possibilities no-FS
« Reply #147 on: September 27, 2009, 06:49:14 am »

Megadeth have always crushed Metallica.  Mustaine and Burton were the only true musicians in that band.  Just watch the Some Kind of Monster DVD if you want to see the heart of Metallica.  For christ sake they take their kids to tennis lessons.
"Because like Bill Shankly, on more days and nights than those expert pundits ever care to recall, he made the people happy."

"There was no other color in the middle of the field except the red of Liverpool"

Offline Juan Loco

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: September 27, 2009, 03:56:10 pm »
Isn't that because Lars was could have been a pro-tennis player?

The single most cringing bit of SKOM is when Lars is crying like a little bitch about having to sell his 'art'. ... Or Kirk's "Hawaian" party. Or any time the therapist talks or Hetfield moans like the little bitch that he is.

Oh, and the extras where Hetfield sits on a giant black dildo as Kirk and Lars lick his tears and bellend.

Offline Kahuna{=}Berger

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Innovate, not imitate.
« Reply #149 on: September 27, 2009, 04:06:27 pm »
Machine Head - A killer, killer band. Saw them back on their first tour, met the band and have signed albums, you couldn't meet nicer, down to earth guys. They've stuck in and stuck through the tough times and outlasted Pantera amongst others. Robb's lyrics have Always been wonderful, and songs like "Clenching The Fists of Dissent" are just amazing.

Met Robb a few years ago too. Sound fella. Only dug out Burn My Eyes and The More Things Change the other day. I'd forgotten how blisteringly good they were.

Offline Met

• rosexual?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: September 27, 2009, 04:07:43 pm »
I'm in a mix of things right now.. For the moment I barely listen to anything else than Volbeat, Windir and Deftones..

Albert Riera yansanyusiza nyo, Mascherano muzanyi wamanyi ate Dirk Kuyt sirina Bigambo! Rafa Abeewo ! YWNWA

It's like watching the Dalai Lama snap and headbutt someone.

Offline Red_Isle_Chap

• Hairy Fool
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blimey!
« Reply #151 on: September 27, 2009, 09:39:15 pm »
I'm in a mix of things right now.. For the moment I barely listen to anything else than Volbeat, Windir and Deftones..

Windir were fucking excellent RIP Valfar! If you haven't already, check out Vreid, thats the rest of the Windir lads. They've put out 4 albums so far Kraft, Pitch Black Brigade, I Krig and Milorg. Kraft is the debut and (IMO) still the best, but Milorg, their latest, is fucking excellent!
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 10:13:45 pm by Red_Isle_Chap »
Gratitude

Offline lfc_bhoy

• muppet
  • Legacy Fan
  • You is getting twatted, possibilities no-FS
« Reply #152 on: September 27, 2009, 10:33:24 pm »
Isn't that because Lars was should have been a pro-tennis player?

The single most cringing bit of SKOM is when Lars is crying like a little bitch about having to sell his 'art'. ... Or Kirk's "Hawaian" party. Or any time the therapist talks or Hetfield moans like the little bitch that he is.

Oh, and the extras where Hetfield sits on a giant black dildo as Kirk and Lars lick his tears and bellend.

I think they ended their careers with that DVD, which is fine by me.
"Because like Bill Shankly, on more days and nights than those expert pundits ever care to recall, he made the people happy."

"There was no other color in the middle of the field except the red of Liverpool"

Offline Met

• rosexual?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: September 27, 2009, 11:46:11 pm »
Windir were fucking excellent RIP Valfar! If you haven't already, check out Vreid, thats the rest of the Windir lads. They've put out 4 albums so far Kraft, Pitch Black Brigade, I Krig and Milorg. Kraft is the debut and (IMO) still the best, but Milorg, their latest, is fucking excellent!

Fucking excellent band! I Krig is my favorite though, but I haven't heard Milorg yet.. Which is something I should rectify first thing tomorrow :D
Albert Riera yansanyusiza nyo, Mascherano muzanyi wamanyi ate Dirk Kuyt sirina Bigambo! Rafa Abeewo ! YWNWA

It's like watching the Dalai Lama snap and headbutt someone.

Offline Juan Loco

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: September 28, 2009, 02:54:51 am »
Listening to the new 'Deth album now. Obviously it's amazing and obviously (glen says hi) it dicks on Metallica. Still... Broderick just doesn't sit well with me. He's a kick ass guitarist and the solos are technically outstanding, but it's too polished. Since Marty I've wanted every Megadeth guitarist to go for different notes, different runs. Broderick is safe... just amazingly technical whilst playing safe. He's not a Poland and he certainly ain't Marty. A better guitarist than either but not a better fit.

Offline Red_Isle_Chap

• Hairy Fool
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blimey!
« Reply #155 on: September 28, 2009, 05:54:54 am »
Listening to the new 'Deth album now. Obviously it's amazing and obviously (glen says hi) it dicks on Metallica. Still... Broderick just doesn't sit well with me. He's a kick ass guitarist and the solos are technically outstanding, but it's too polished. Since Marty I've wanted every Megadeth guitarist to go for different notes, different runs. Broderick is safe... just amazingly technical whilst playing safe. He's not a Poland and he certainly ain't Marty. A better guitarist than either but not a better fit.
Yeah, I hear you on that Juan. Then again, with Megadeth, they'll never, ever beat rust in peace. Even with the same lineup it was never going to happen, Rust is one of the most perfect metal albums of all time (in my book). I just enjoy listening to Dave and whoever's in the band at the time doing what megadeth has always done, and that's kick ass
Gratitude

Offline Juan Loco

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: September 28, 2009, 06:25:48 am »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kyy7HdTtIA&feature=related

Kinell.

She does shit loads of Metallica as well... makes you wonder why she couldn't have written every album since Justice.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 06:28:25 am by Juan Loco »

Offline Red_Isle_Chap

• Hairy Fool
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blimey!
« Reply #157 on: September 28, 2009, 08:12:51 am »

Kinell.

She does shit loads of Metallica as well... makes you wonder why she couldn't have written every album since Justice.
That's mightily impressive to be fair, she even does a great job on the solo's! Fair fucking play, that must have taken a while to convert.

Speakign of slayer covers, did anyone ever hear Tori Amos's version of Reign in Blood? I thought it was great, then again I love ambient stuff as well as metal. Anyone else heard it?
Gratitude

Offline Eluamous

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #158 on: September 28, 2009, 05:32:16 pm »

Kinell.

I think I'm in love <3
That's mightily impressive to be fair, she even does a great job on the solo's! Fair fucking play, that must have taken a while to convert.

Speakign of slayer covers, did anyone ever hear Tori Amos's version of Reign in Blood? I thought it was great, then again I love ambient stuff as well as metal. Anyone else heard it?
I've heard her version of Raining Blood, not bad. Did she cover the whole album?

Offline Red_Isle_Chap

• Hairy Fool
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blimey!
« Reply #159 on: September 29, 2009, 10:02:04 am »
I think I'm in love <3I've heard her version of Raining Blood, not bad. Did she cover the whole album?
Nope, she did a covers album, but covers suggested by her mates apparantly. it's pretty good, but that's for a different thread...lol

On an entirely different note, the new Hypocrisy album is a fucking stormer!!
Gratitude