Author Topic: Awesome documentaries thread  (Read 281241 times)

Online Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
Re: Awesome documentaries thread
« Reply #1080 on: December 7, 2016, 01:55:50 am »
People are saying Thee coming war on China was good tonight may have to give it a view on ITV player.

Is Monday at 10.40pm after the News their new documentary slot?

Unusual for ITV to show a 2 hour .documentary
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1081 on: December 7, 2016, 12:44:49 pm »
The guy they made captain once the keeper left was a crafty little shit wasnt he. Players were told not to speak to the fans about the issues but he went and told them he was with them etc. The Argentine lad summed it up perfectly when he said the Jewish folks have been abused racially for ages they shouldnt do it because they know how it feels. Felt sorry for the younger muslim player who had his mum come watch him and she would hear his own fans racially abuse him and even assault him in one case.

Definately worth a watch.
It was rival fans Maccabi Haifa who started attacking him.

Interesting the owner went to jail for 3 years in France for money laundering,should also point out it was disgusting what his son and others did to Portsmouth by the way and no one is held accountable.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Online Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #1082 on: December 9, 2016, 05:58:31 pm »
Looks interesting about the power of films.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/4n7fosK9UyY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/4n7fosK9UyY</a>
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Igor Tripod Biscan

• Got it, got off it, got on with it. Is rice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96
« Reply #1083 on: December 9, 2016, 06:35:56 pm »
I am Bolt is a good watch.  Not massively revealing or that but an enjoyable watch
Liverpool is the pool of life.
Carl Jung, 1961.  Alan Partridge didn't ask for a second season you meff

Offline jason67

• He likes the 15cm morning glory boy!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1084 on: December 12, 2016, 06:26:43 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Nd6qN167wKo?fs=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Nd6qN167wKo?fs=1</a>

Found this quite interesting, about how Edward Snowden managed to get away from the US intelligent services. Lengths they went to were incredible and what a prick General Michael Haydon (ex NSA boss) comes across as.
At last the TRUTH 26th April 2016

Still don't buy the s*n.

Offline stara

• ra-boom-de-ay. RAWK's very own Dicktionary Corner.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1085 on: January 5, 2017, 02:06:01 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/5ETRMWX9op4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/5ETRMWX9op4</a>

Guardian: "I sometimes complain about having to watch mediocre movies, but this rather puts that into perspective. At least I don’t have to chisel chunks of molten pig iron from my flesh at the end of my working day."
50+1. Real FFP rules. Now.

Offline elbow

• grease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss Tha
« Reply #1086 on: January 14, 2017, 12:59:36 pm »
Just finished watching "Miss Sharon Jones" on Netflix. Oh man, I'm a wreck after that. Heartbreaking.
We are Liverpool!

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96
« Reply #1087 on: January 14, 2017, 01:31:34 pm »
Just finished watching "Miss Sharon Jones" on Netflix. Oh man, I'm a wreck after that. Heartbreaking.

I'm in floods after watching the HBO boston marathon bombing doc - I'm such a mard arse, I'm gonna have to watch that now

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1088 on: January 14, 2017, 07:47:56 pm »
Command and Control was quite good. Scary stuff.

A chilling nightmare plays out at a Titan II missile complex in Arkansas in September, 1980. A worker accidentally drops a socket, puncturing the fuel tank of an intercontinental ballistic missile carrying the most powerful nuclear warhead in our arsenal, an incident which ignites a series of feverish efforts to avoid a deadly disaster.

http://www.commandandcontrolfilm.com/

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96
« Reply #1089 on: January 23, 2017, 09:00:39 am »
Watched a documentary called 'author the jt leroy story' on a plane yesterday

It was fascinating.  I wont spoiler it or spoil it but its about a 'hoax' (although there is tons more to it than that simple label) in the literary, fashion, music, movie and celebrity worlds

Offline 'Mondzz'

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1090 on: January 23, 2017, 07:05:57 pm »
Black Market with Michael K Williams (Omar).

Boss little 6 part documentary series where he goes around the US and other countries checking out gambling rackets, gun runners and all sorts. Kept me up until 4am getting through them.
THOSE AREN'T FINGERS. THOSE ARE SCARF TASSELLS.

Offline CrasherKid79

• Crashedandburnedkid2017
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1091 on: January 23, 2017, 07:10:32 pm »
Black Market with Michael K Williams (Omar).

Boss little 6 part documentary series where he goes around the US and other countries checking out gambling rackets, gun runners and all sorts. Kept me up until 4am getting through them.

Who better than Omar himself? I will be on this quick as a flash sounds right up my street.

Offline 'Mondzz'

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1092 on: January 23, 2017, 07:14:16 pm »
Who better than Omar himself? I will be on this quick as a flash sounds right up my street.

Definitely worth a watch mate. I struggled finding it in the usual places online so had to sign up for a free NowTV trial to stream it on there if that helps.
THOSE AREN'T FINGERS. THOSE ARE SCARF TASSELLS.

Offline Ycuzz

• of the wonderful things he does! I've soiled myself..
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1093 on: January 23, 2017, 09:19:47 pm »
Just watched this on Netflix:

From IMDB:

The Barkley Marathons: The Race That Eats its Young (2015)
In its first 25 years only 10 people have finished The Barkley Marathons. Based on a historic prison escape, this cult like race tempts people from around the world to test their limits of physical and mental endurance in this documentary that contemplates the value of pain.

Would recommend to anyone who enjoys an offbeat documentary. Really enjoyable and still don't know what to make of the race organiser, a jolly bearded gentleman who at first glance seems like a friendly Santa Claus, but on closer interview sort of a sadist Donald Sutherland lookalike .... especially the grin when he talks about people failing the 100 mile race.

Scary, weird and often funny.

Oo, yeah. That was a good one - weird, but interesting watch.
@Yvanicuzz

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96
« Reply #1094 on: February 8, 2017, 05:39:30 pm »
Gimme Danger - Documentary about The Stooges

Really good documentary, Ive been a casual fan in the past but think I'll go back and re-listen to more of their catalogue

Iggy is ace and its filmed well with lots of concert footage

Offline Original

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #1095 on: February 27, 2017, 09:52:54 am »
The JINX is on sky plus available as a download for anyone not seen it. 

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #1096 on: February 27, 2017, 02:44:05 pm »
Looks interesting about the power of films.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/4n7fosK9UyY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/4n7fosK9UyY</a>

Watched this last night. Just wonderful.
It's on the BBC iplayer if anyone's wondering (it was on BBC Four last week).
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #1097 on: March 2, 2017, 10:59:30 am »
Just watched the first 2 hours of the OJ:Made in America doc.  Really enjoyable so far.  He was some player.

Offline IgorBobbins

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • BOBBINS!
« Reply #1098 on: March 2, 2017, 12:23:12 pm »
Just watched the first 2 hours of the OJ:Made in America doc.  Really enjoyable so far.  He was some player.
Yep - I watched Part 1 on the iplayer last night.  Couldn't stop watching - I found it really well structured and paced.

Looking forward to spending another 3 hrs on part 2 tonight (like the saddo I am  :))

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1099 on: March 3, 2017, 08:57:40 am »
Stumbled on 'World War II in Colour and HD' on Discovery History Channel last night.

Absolutely brilliant programme. All original archive footage that has been converted to colour and in HD (obviously).   It was Episode 1 last night too so I have series linked it.

I've already learnt so much about the run up to WWII in that first hour of TV than i knew in my 46 years.  Understanding now what was going on with Hitler, Mussolini, Stalin and Franco in their respective countries and the antics of the Japanese, it seems WWII was all but inevitable.

Offline CrasherKid79

• Crashedandburnedkid2017
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1100 on: March 3, 2017, 07:37:53 pm »

Fantastic Documentary, well worth the time.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #1101 on: March 4, 2017, 08:14:55 am »
May have been mentioned on here before but Precinct Seven Five is remarkable....the story of a corrupt NYPD precinct in the 1980's....and when i say corrupt i mean jaw-droppingly-corrupt....terrific documentary ...available on Netflix as we speak
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #1102 on: March 10, 2017, 03:52:22 pm »
Crips and Bloods - Made in America (2008) ....fascinating look at gang culture and how it emerged from the ashes of Watts and the de-industrialised urban ghetto of South LA ......available on Netflix or buckshee on the excellent TubiTV....
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #1103 on: March 13, 2017, 01:51:48 pm »
JUST finished OJ - Made in America....off recommendations on here

wow. fantastic documentary.

The way it builds the context of everything to do with the man himself, the country at the time of the trial etc. very well done....for somebody who knew little about it in the first place I feel very well informed now (ignoring the fact that every storytelling has its own slant)

Would have liked to see more on the kids and their perspective....would have made it better but all in all, great documentary.
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1104 on: March 21, 2017, 11:33:45 am »
'American Justice' starts tonight on Beeb 2 at 21:00. Looks like its going to be a good one and knowing the BBC it will be the usual hard-hitting affair we have come to expect.

When he was 13 years old, Jeremiah Hill killed a man.
Although Hill was a child at the time, the nature of his crime meant it was dealt with by an adult court in Florida. He pleaded guilty to murder.
How did someone so young become a killer?
Jeremiah Hill's story is featured in American Justice on BBC Two. The first of three episodes is on television at 21:00 on Tuesday 21 March. The following episodes are on BBC Two on 28 March and 4 April. You can also catch up later online.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-39331784

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1105 on: March 21, 2017, 09:22:44 pm »
Does the History Channel have an online player job like iPlayer? Want to watch Ronnie O'Sullivans American Hustle but its not on Exodus and can't find it online. Can't find anything like an online player on the website
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #1106 on: March 24, 2017, 02:14:04 pm »
Not available at the moment but BBC4 "Inside Chernobyl Mega Tomb" is worth a watch when it next comes on, not just for the engineering but how a number of countries have collaborated to minimise the risks od further nuclear contamination.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1107 on: March 27, 2017, 12:45:35 pm »
Couldn't be arsed working this morning and stumbled across  the "9/11" Documentary  by the Naudet brothers on YouTube.  At the time they were filming a documentary on a newbie fireman that happened to to be stationed in the closest firehouse to WTC in Manhattan. (Engine 7, ladder 1 Firehouse)

Jules Naudet was out on the street with a few firefighters investigating and filming a call-out to a regular everyday gas leak when the first plane hit.  Naudet's footage is the only known clear footage of the first plane hitting the North tower direct.

The two brothers are alongside the fire crew all the way through the terrible events that occurred.

Its truly an incredible, shocking and frightening documentary that they never set out to make in the first place.  The scenes following the second tower collapse (Tower 1) filmed by Naudet are like a post nuclear fall-out.  It must have been fucking terrifying for all those poor people and emergency services involved.  His camera was still rolling (he wasn't filming intentionally) as they ran from the falling debris as Tower 1 collapsed and was covered by the Fire Chief he was with.

The looks of shock and sheer helplessness on some of the hardened veteran cops and Firefighters show just how shocking this was. Fuck knows how everyday civilians felt at the time.

I'm sat here and a bit stunned to be honest and needed to communicate about it.

Offline J_Kopite

• Is he or isn't she? Cougar toy.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1108 on: March 27, 2017, 01:23:53 pm »
^ I've wanted to watch this for ages, glad to see it's on Youtube so thanks for bringing it back to my attention.

I'm flying to America tomorrow though so it might have to wait until I'm home ;D

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #1109 on: March 27, 2017, 01:36:34 pm »
Couldn't be arsed working this morning and stumbled across  the "9/11" Documentary  by the Naudet brothers on YouTube.  At the time they were filming a documentary on a newbie fireman that happened to to be stationed in the closest firehouse to WTC in Manhattan. (Engine 7, ladder 1 Firehouse)

Jules Naudet was out on the street with a few firefighters investigating and filming a call-out to a regular everyday gas leak when the first plane hit.  Naudet's footage is the only known clear footage of the first plane hitting the North tower direct.

The two brothers are alongside the fire crew all the way through the terrible events that occurred.

Its truly an incredible, shocking and frightening documentary that they never set out to make in the first place.  The scenes following the second tower collapse (Tower 1) filmed by Naudet are like a post nuclear fall-out.  It must have been fucking terrifying for all those poor people and emergency services involved.  His camera was still rolling (he wasn't filming intentionally) as they ran from the falling debris as Tower 1 collapsed and was covered by the Fire Chief he was with.

The looks of shock and sheer helplessness on some of the hardened veteran cops and Firefighters show just how shocking this was. Fuck knows how everyday civilians felt at the time.

I'm sat here and a bit stunned to be honest and needed to communicate about it.

It's an amazing film.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline paul211b

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1110 on: March 27, 2017, 03:23:05 pm »
Watched Dear Zachary: A Letter to a son about his father.  Sad stuff that.

Offline rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1111 on: March 27, 2017, 07:05:19 pm »
If you made it through it without breaking down and crying you're a robot.
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Offline Ycuzz

• of the wonderful things he does! I've soiled myself..
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1112 on: March 27, 2017, 08:11:06 pm »

I've been harping on about this forever - and will continue to do so. Everyone should see it.

If you made it through it without breaking down and crying you're a robot.

/agreed. I was a complete mess.
@Yvanicuzz

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #1113 on: April 10, 2017, 04:14:16 pm »
Anyone watched Tickled?  It's on Amazon Prime at the moment, about a NZ journalist who happened across tickling videos online, wrote about them, and then started getting abusive messages from the people who run tickling websites/businesses.

Watching the videos in the doc is weird too because some guy being strapped down, having a few other people straddle him and tickle him is... odd.  But then when someone is giggling away while it's happening you can't help but smile sometimes.

Basically I dunno how I feel about this whole fetish.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline finchy1972

• Legacy Fan
  • Here's a story of a poor boy
« Reply #1114 on: April 10, 2017, 09:18:51 pm »
It's probably been mentioned earlier in the thread but I have just watched "I'll be me" Glen Campbell on Netflix absolutely heart breaking to see such a talent being slowly taken away due to Alzheimer's.
Whatever we are , we are , whatever we will be is yet to be written .

Offline DrTobiasFunke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1115 on: April 28, 2017, 05:40:19 pm »
Not sure if it's been mentioned before but The Overnighters is definitely worth a watch.

It follows a church pastor in North Dakota who lets homeless people (more accurately people who have recently moved to the area to work in the booming oil business but fail to find a job) stay on the church premises. It starts like a run of the mill story of someone helping his community but turns into something a lot more complex and poignant.

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96
« Reply #1116 on: April 28, 2017, 05:47:06 pm »
Just watched that Jon Benet Ramsey documentary on Netflix - Unless you've watched others Id not bother, interesting concept but doesn't provide much substance.

Offline jason67

• He likes the 15cm morning glory boy!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1117 on: May 4, 2017, 05:11:38 pm »
Watched this the other night....

Southwest of Salem.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmHo677uB9Q&t=21s&spfreload=10

Excellent but quite disturbing, I won't go into the story but it's well worth a watch.
At last the TRUTH 26th April 2016

Still don't buy the s*n.

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #1118 on: May 4, 2017, 05:18:20 pm »
I Am Not Your Negro.

Available.
Exercise is to the body what reading is to the mind.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96
« Reply #1119 on: May 4, 2017, 11:06:57 pm »
I Am Not Your Negro.

Available.

aannddd is very very very well made