Author Topic: Radiohead  (Read 80814 times)

Offline Bennyo

• Wasn't arsed about having a custom title, so all he got was this.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Radiohead
« Reply #200 on: February 15, 2011, 12:11:57 pm »
Feeling like Cartman before the Wii came out.

Cum-own!!

Offline gaz_h

• Main Stander
« Reply #201 on: February 18, 2011, 10:14:02 am »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfOa1a8hYP8

Fucking quality. Welcome back.

Offline Bennyo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #202 on: February 18, 2011, 11:36:33 am »
The album's online to download from the Order Tracking page for those who have pre-ordered.

Offline Libertine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing behind me, everything ahead of me
« Reply #203 on: February 18, 2011, 12:33:38 pm »
8 tracks and 38 minutes long?  ???

hmmm..... isn't that what used to be called an EP?

nevermind, first song sounds sweet already.....  ;)

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #204 on: February 18, 2011, 12:33:43 pm »

Offline litliper

• Legacy Fan
  • Does anybody wanna buy a country?
« Reply #205 on: February 18, 2011, 12:35:12 pm »
Feels like an album of two halves. With the first 3 song as one whole and song nr 4 as the middle part. Lotus Flower opens the more downbeat second half which is probably where the singles are going to be coming from.

But this is just from one listen and maybe I'm getting it wrong.
"My country is the world, and my religion to do good." (Thomas Paine)

Offline gaz_h

• Main Stander
« Reply #206 on: February 18, 2011, 12:46:40 pm »
Awful video.

Haha :)

I was referring to the song more than the video though.

I've just finished listening to the album, what does anyone think of it? Codex I think is magnificent.

Offline Matt S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • MattShaw
« Reply #207 on: February 18, 2011, 01:33:07 pm »
It's very well made, as you'd expect but it's going to take a few listens I think. It's difficult not to compare it to their other stuff, but it needs to be listened to without the old stuff in mind I think?

Will give it another bash later on.

Offline litliper

• Legacy Fan
  • Does anybody wanna buy a country?
« Reply #208 on: February 18, 2011, 02:22:39 pm »
"My country is the world, and my religion to do good." (Thomas Paine)

Offline felix.

• easily impressed Baldrick Mark II
  • Legacy Fan
    • last.fm
« Reply #209 on: February 18, 2011, 03:15:10 pm »
Feels like an album of two halves.

totally. i like the first half better.
MOSES SAID COME FORTH
    BUT WE CAME FIRST

Offline KJR71

• Main Stander
  • We all live in a red and white Kop...
« Reply #210 on: February 18, 2011, 05:49:55 pm »
It's not the Radiohead I like, but then again that Radiohead hasn't existed since 1997.  There's been a load of tracks since then that I've loved - Bodysnatchers, How to Disappear Completely, Got To Sleep - but as I like more rock, guitar-based music the more Aphex Twin kind of stuff doesn't interest me.

I'm a bit gutted that there aren't more tracks that I'd listen to regularly, but realistically they were never going to make another The Bends or OK Computer were they?

Offline rob1408

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: February 18, 2011, 06:22:21 pm »
The album is short, but has anyone noticed the last track is called 'seperator' and contains the lyrics "If you think this is over. then you're wrong".  Hmmm (puts on paranoid Radiohead hat).

Offline Libertine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing behind me, everything ahead of me
« Reply #212 on: February 18, 2011, 06:29:44 pm »
It's not the Radiohead I like, but then again that Radiohead hasn't existed since 1997.  There's been a load of tracks since then that I've loved - Bodysnatchers, How to Disappear Completely, Got To Sleep - but as I like more rock, guitar-based music the more Aphex Twin kind of stuff doesn't interest me.

I'm a bit gutted that there aren't more tracks that I'd listen to regularly, but realistically they were never going to make another The Bends or OK Computer were they?

they'll certainly never go back to the bends, but i thought In Rainbows was a perfect balance between their innovative and "musical" streaks. have only listened to half of this so far (don't want to do it all at once), but it definately moves back to a more kid A direction.

this one will take a while i think, certainly doesn't have the "fuck me, this is amazing" feeling that in rainbows did at first listen.

Offline KJR71

• Main Stander
  • We all live in a red and white Kop...
« Reply #213 on: February 18, 2011, 06:59:37 pm »
Yeah, I'm with you there Libertine.  I liked In Rainbows and it was a happy medium between their new and older stuff.  I totally agree that this is more like Kid A which initially was really hard work for me to get into.  In Rainbows had a number of good songs; some which stood out straight away for me like Bodysnatchers, Nude and House of Cards and a couple of growers.

To me this sounds more like stuff off The Eraser but hopefully with more listens it'll grow on me.  It's going to take time, but I'm patient!  Codex is the standout track for me.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 08:23:12 pm by KJR71 »

Offline rob1408

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #214 on: February 18, 2011, 09:03:32 pm »
I actually really, really like it, but then I loved Kid A straight away.  In fact I preferred Kid A to Ok Computer.  I listened to a couple of songs from King of Limbs a while back, but they were acoustic versions with just Thom Yorke, it's amazing how much the songs have grown.

Offline AFX

• Kopite
« Reply #215 on: February 18, 2011, 10:41:05 pm »
Grown on me so much throughout the day. Lotus Flower is too sick.

Loads of people are saying they don't like it because it's different. Why do people have to love music the moment they hear it? Be patient, give it a few listens with an open mind and you will be glad you did. There is no point comparing Radiohead albums because they're all so good and one of the main reasons for that is that they all sound different.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 10:46:44 pm by AFX »
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #216 on: February 18, 2011, 11:06:02 pm »
LOVE IT. Codex is fucking boss.

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #217 on: February 18, 2011, 11:06:31 pm »
In fact I preferred Kid A to Ok Computer.

Same.

Offline bellinter

• Infamous author of 'The Joy of Hate'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #218 on: February 18, 2011, 11:13:25 pm »
Finally home and getting it downloaded. Was a long day....
In ceremonies of the horsemen, even the pawn must hold a grudge.

Offline Matt S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • MattShaw
« Reply #219 on: February 18, 2011, 11:47:13 pm »
Second listen was fucking awesome. I'm loving this album.

Offline Bennyo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: February 19, 2011, 02:24:03 am »
5 full listens by close of play today, and it's getting better with each run through. Feels a lot more of a single unit than most other albums (in general) with few light/dark up/down contrasts, and it's certainly not their best work, but I really like this side of Radiohead. Since the vinyl is being released on two discs, and since this is only 8 tracks (and also since the last track is called 'separator' and repeats at the end the lyrics 'if you think this is over then you're wrong') then maybe there'll be a Part 2. I certainly hope so. At least something like they did for In Rainbows (which I thought contained many songs which were more than good enough to be on the main release.

Online Sammy5IsAlive

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #221 on: February 19, 2011, 02:56:34 am »
Same.

I really enjoy Kid A now, it's grown on me massively. And I'm not quite sure about the massive hype that surrounds OK Computer as there are two or three songs that are for me a little bit 'fillery'. But having said that OK Computer is still the absolute pinnacle for Radiohead. For me there Kid A lacks the stand out songs like Paranoid Android/Lucky/Airbag/Exit Music. For what it's worth, if they had done a studio version of the 'I might be wrong' live album that would have stood up to OK Computer. Just feel that both Kid A and Amnesiac had a few too many throwaway songs that got in the way of the flow of the albums.

Offline Snail

• Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #222 on: February 19, 2011, 05:30:47 am »
I really enjoy Kid A now, it's grown on me massively. And I'm not quite sure about the massive hype that surrounds OK Computer as there are two or three songs that are for me a little bit 'fillery'. But having said that OK Computer is still the absolute pinnacle for Radiohead. For me there Kid A lacks the stand out songs like Paranoid Android/Lucky/Airbag/Exit Music. For what it's worth, if they had done a studio version of the 'I might be wrong' live album that would have stood up to OK Computer. Just feel that both Kid A and Amnesiac had a few too many throwaway songs that got in the way of the flow of the albums.

It's partly because Kid A was the first album I bought myself (like, ever), I was only about 10 when it came out. Before then it had been my dad and my older brothers raving about OK Computer. I do love that album to pieces but I don't know, Kid A always seemed to have something extra for me. Idioteque is in the top five songs I've ever heard, and it'll take a lot to change that. Personally, my top two albums would be Kid A and In Rainbows. I've had people sniff at me for the latter, but to me it's the perfect balance between their poppier, more "mainstream" stuff (for lack of a better term) and their more experimental, Kid A sort of stuff, and also I'm fucking addicted to the drum loop they used in Videotape.

I still think Hail to the Thief is ridiculously underrated, by the way.

Online Sammy5IsAlive

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #223 on: February 19, 2011, 05:38:30 am »
It's partly because Kid A was the first album I bought myself (like, ever)

Picked up on that because OK Computer was the first album I ever bought out of my own money (from paper-rounds ect). I think it'll always have that sentimental link to me (maybe the same that Kid A has for you?).

Offline Snail

• Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #224 on: February 19, 2011, 05:43:13 am »
Picked up on that because OK Computer was the first album I ever bought out of my own money (from paper-rounds ect). I think it'll always have that sentimental link to me (maybe the same that Kid A has for you?).

Yep, exactly.

Offline Convectuoso

• Kopite
  • RUM HAM!!!! I'm Sorry!!!!
« Reply #225 on: February 19, 2011, 05:50:02 am »
LOVE IT. Codex is fucking boss.

Love this track.
Later dudes, S you in your A's Don't wear a C and J all over your B's

Offline blah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: February 19, 2011, 06:48:35 am »
Just downloaded the album. Please, please be good. In Rainbows was a weak album, Radiohead need to surprise me.

Offline Snail

• Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #227 on: February 19, 2011, 08:35:50 am »
In Rainbows was not a weak album at all.

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Let them hate me, as long as they respect me"
« Reply #228 on: February 19, 2011, 09:20:09 am »
Just downloaded the album. Please, please be good. In Rainbows was a weak album, Radiohead need to surprise me.
Jesus. There is no hope.
In a free state there should be freedom of speech and thought.
 Tiberius Caesar Augustus,
Roman Emperor & General (42 BC - 37 AD)

Offline TropicalRed

• Winner of the inaugral RAWK award for the highest number of youtube clips of godawful bands.
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #229 on: February 19, 2011, 11:23:39 am »
On first (and prodably last) listen...absolute crap, no redeeming qualities at all. It is up there with the likes of Coldplay and Kings of Leon as the most emotionless, souless , uninspired, uninteresting "music" i have ever heard.
Braindead twaddle for the braindead masses.
Just a word about my Avatar..I am Liverpool, I have always been Liverpool and I will remain Liverpool until my dying day. Me Mam come's from Hartlepool so this avatar is for my dear old mam!!

Offline Alonso_The_Assassin

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
« Reply #230 on: February 19, 2011, 11:39:44 am »
Not listened yet. Although I'm 99 per cent certain that 'Morning Mr. Magpie' is an old song which was performed on the website thanks giving surprise that Thom did just before Hail to the Thief was released. Alongside it, they played a piano version of 'Punch up at a Wedding'.

Offline Matt S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • MattShaw
« Reply #231 on: February 19, 2011, 01:18:51 pm »

Seriously?

Not making assumptions about you, I mean this as a general point:

I think some people struggle to come to terms with the other side to Radiohead. The Kid A & Amnesiac side. They want every album to be like the bends or OK Computer. It just isn't going to happen. They are so much more than that now.

Took me a long while to appreciate that I think. My fav albums are Hail to the Thief & In Rainbows, which both kind of mix the best of both sides of Radiohead I think.

Offline Visigoth33

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: February 19, 2011, 01:50:16 pm »
Interesting.Personally, I feel that In Rainbows, Kid A & OK computer are all wonderful works of art.Each album is like a painting which is uniquely beautiful by itself.

Offline bellinter

• Infamous author of 'The Joy of Hate'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #233 on: February 19, 2011, 02:02:24 pm »
Not blown away, by any means... But 3 listens in and I do like it.
In ceremonies of the horsemen, even the pawn must hold a grudge.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #234 on: February 19, 2011, 06:37:41 pm »
Hmmm.. It's an album of two halves for me so far.

First half is very dense and difficult, and hard to get into. It's not helped by the mixing on either Morning Mr Magpie or Feral - they're just hard to listen to on headphones (Feral is a mess, to be honest)

But the second half is much much better. Lotus is very good, and Codex is just superb. Separator ends it all rather nicely.

Overall, for me, it's not as strong as In Rainbows, and I won't end up listening to this album as much. There's no one track to match Nude on In Rainbows, and overall as a collection of songs it doesn't match up. But it's definitely on for Kid A fans, and I wasn't one of them.
But all of this is just a personal preference - what do I know about anything?
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Victor

• Legacy Fan
  • Daa Dah Daaaaaaaaaa
« Reply #235 on: February 19, 2011, 08:50:38 pm »
just gave it my first listen and really liked it ..  think there's a major hint of Talk Talk about the second half of it
"There are two great teams in Liverpool.... Liverpool and Liverpool Reserves"

Offline Snail

• Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #236 on: February 19, 2011, 08:51:47 pm »
On first (and prodably last) listen...absolute crap, no redeeming qualities at all. It is up there with the likes of Coldplay and Kings of Leon as the most emotionless, souless , uninspired, uninteresting "music" i have ever heard.
Braindead twaddle for the braindead masses.

Excellent contribution.

Offline TropicalRed

• Winner of the inaugral RAWK award for the highest number of youtube clips of godawful bands.
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #237 on: February 19, 2011, 08:53:29 pm »
Excellent contribution.

Your welcome.
Just a word about my Avatar..I am Liverpool, I have always been Liverpool and I will remain Liverpool until my dying day. Me Mam come's from Hartlepool so this avatar is for my dear old mam!!

Offline CarlitoB

• [color=white]CT fucked about with in unoriginal manner.[/color] Likes to brew up a storm in a teacup... (no one died in the making of this CT)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #238 on: February 19, 2011, 08:56:14 pm »
"God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven. I can't live with that."

Offline rob1408

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #239 on: February 19, 2011, 09:22:13 pm »
Excellent contribution.

I'd take a look at Sarge's 'Best albums of all time' post.  Look at Tropical's entry (which is, of course his own opinion), and then basically ignore anything he posts regarding music.

Works for me.