Author Topic: Liverpool 2 Reading 0: A Comprehensive Victory  (Read 7879 times)

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
Liverpool 2 Reading 0: A Comprehensive Victory
« on: November 4, 2006, 07:48:22 pm »
After the dress rehearsal in the cup a couple of weeks ago, The Royals were back in town. Same two football clubs, but two different teams fielded, as both Benitez and Coppell restored some of their key men.

Benitez went for our strongest back-line, including ‘keeper Pepe Reina inbetween the sticks. A midfield four, which contained (from right to left) Pennant Alonso, Gerrard - in the centre for a change - and Zenden over on the left. Up front a familiar partnership of Peter Crouch and Dirk Kuyt.

Coppell’s men set-up in a 4-5-1, leaving Kevin Doyle up front on his own, only servicing and supporting him on counter-attacks.

It was a bitter evening at Anfield, as I developed frostbite in the opening thirty minutes. I must have looked like I was mimicking that goal celebration from Michael Owen from my seat in the Paddock. Smile obviously excluded. Depressingly, the floodlights were required to light up a gloomy Anfield surface, too. Bloody farmers.

The customary boo rang around the ground as the referee for today was read out over the tannoy, Uriah Rennie. For once, I actually meant it. In hindsight, he didn’t have a bad game, but he hardly had World War 3 on his hands.

Liverpool’s early start did nothing to remove the Jack Dee expression I had on my face, as Reading started the brighter. If it wasn’t bad enough, somebody about three rows behind me thought he was John Motson and started commentating on the game. ‘Xabi Alonso… back to Sami Hyypia, across to Carragher....’ Truly bizarre. Where does the RTK campaign stand on this?!

Glenn Little – who was one of Reading’s better performers both today and in the League Cup game – received the ball on the wing and pulled the ball back to the advancing James Harper. If it wasn’t for Jamie Carragher desperately tracking back, they would have taken the lead. No harm was done and Liverpool could take it as a warning.

Benitez was up on the touchline shouting words of encouragement to his players, but the players in Red couldn’t find the fluidity they had against Villa last week, as Alonso and Gerrard couldn’t get a grip on the game and Zenden and Pennant weren’t offering the width we needed to stretch the opponents.

But on fifteen minutes, a beautifully lofted cross from Steven Gerrard found Peter Crouch in a promising position. Everybody rose out of their seats expecting the big man to head home, but a half-scuffed header found Dirk Kuyt in space. The Dutchman adjusted his body and fired home to give Liverpool a lead they didn’t particularly deserve. 1-0.

After the opening goal, everybody predicted the game would open up, as Reading would have to come in search of an equaliser. They never really did. Liverpool still had the initiative, but Reading weren’t committing men forward, leaving a polite Kevin Doyle to raise his thumb and clap at… well, crap balls forward.

Sami Hyypia and Jamie Carragher, given the space to roam due to the fact they only had to worry about one striker, were probably Liverpool’s best attacking players on the pitch. And, seriously, that is no exaggeration. The two were like Brito and Piazza from the famous Brazil 1970 World Cup squad: defenders by name, but not necessarily by nature. In a good way, that is.

Steven Gerrard was the instigator in everything that was threatening about Liverpool, as he waltzed around the field with the good kind of arrogance. Once again he threw the ball into a dangerous position and Ivar Ingimarsson – whose name would collect more points in scrabble than Reading are likely to get in the league this season – deflected the ball towards his own goal. Marcus Hahnemman – whose borrowed Robert Pires’ slug beard – spared his defenders blushes.

Kuyt had another chance when he headed wide, following a cross from the right hand side. His headers towards goal have a touch of the Crouch’s about them and it is one attribute that he is lacking from fully warranting the comparisons with Alan Shearer. I am very critical, I know.

Steven Gerrard beat Sam Sodje a couple of times, before curling the ball just wide, after half an hour, before Jermaine Pennant struck a shot from range, which Hahnemann saved fairly comfortably. It was good pressure from Liverpool and Reading were looking fatigued already.

Jamie Carragher – with his license to get forward – ran into space before flashing the ball just over the top. He ran back towards The Kop to an acknowledgeable ovation. God knows how Anfield will react when/if he actually fires one in.

Half time came and the opposition looked fairly happy to be going in at the break just a goal down. George read out the scores from around the Premiership, as Pako lead out the substitutes for a half-time warm up. There’s something really nice about the same old routines at Anfield, which is rightfully reclaiming the ‘fortress’ tag.

The second half got underway and Reading started to take the initiative as the likes of Long and Little began to support the lone striker. But Hyypia still looked enthusiastic in getting forward past the half-way and about ten minutes into the second half curled a shot just over the crossbar.

Mark Gonzalez replaced Zenden whose performance can only be described as ‘industrious’, but in search of another goal, Benitez added more creativity and pace to the side with the Chilean International.

Whilst the debate will still continue over Steven Gerrard, on today’s performance, where he played in three different positions – as a central midfield, a left midfielder and as a second striker – one thing is clear: it doesn’t matter where he plays, because just as long as he is on the field, he will be a menace to the opposition. The skipper was unlucky not to score today and it’s great to see him regaining some form.

Gerrard fired in a shot that was knocked behind for a corner by a Reading defender and from the resulting set-piece, delivered well by Pennant, Gerrard almost scored with a glancing header.

Crouch caused commotion in the penalty area shortly afterwards and won a corner. The ball was floated in and Crouch, unmarked, headed the ball at the American goalkeeper Hahnemann, but he parried it out into a threatening position and Kuyt fired the ball in with his left-foot from close range. A real striker’s goal and his fifth on the season. 2-0 and Mohamed Sissoko soon came on to eek the game out.

The last fifteen minutes were comfortable for Liverpool. Ibrahima Sonko had about a dozen throw-ins, that he delivers as well as a cross, that were dealt with comfortably from Hyypia: from one colossus to another. Ki-Hyeon Soel had an opportunity to score with his first touch of the ball, but his shot was fairly easy to handle from Pepe Reina who was about as active as Onslo from Keeping Up Appearances, in truth.

Robbie Fowler came on with about five minutes to go and just as he did against Aston Villa last week, found himself in an opportunity to score, but some good defending inside the six yard box from Sam Sodje (I think) snuffed out the danger.

Gerrard almost capped off a great day’s work with a goal, but his header was collected by their goalkeeper.

The final whistle went. Business as usual at Anfield. The confidence taken from these four home wins needs to be taken onto the road, as we face 3 matches away from Anfield.

Steve Coppell will be glad that he doesn’t have to come here again in another two weeks, but it seems that they have more than enough about them to do reasonably well this season.

Man of the match: Sami Hyypia. Sounds fairly negative to give MOTM to a centre-half in a match that we won 2-0 and the opposition had about four shots in, but his contribution and distribution was simply awesome. Two Xabi Alonso-esque passes found their targets in the second half and his dominant headers and escapades into uncharted territory gave Liverpool an unexpected source of threat.

© Garstonite 2006
« Last Edit: November 4, 2006, 09:44:45 pm by Rushian »

Offline ksparks063

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Liverpool 2 Reading 0: A Comprehensive Victory
« Reply #1 on: November 4, 2006, 08:11:33 pm »
have to agree, well stated...

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2 on: November 4, 2006, 08:11:43 pm »
Another great write up...Would toatlly agree with Hyypia - excellent today...We weren't at our best as you say but a win is a win and we were never in much danger....

Particularly enjoyed the discription "industrious" for Zenden....Particularly flattering for a player who looked well out of his depth today.......

Becoming part of the matchday routine reading your write-ups.....really enjoying them...Cheers....

Offline Tarpaulin

• Polish Ambassador to Liverpool
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: November 4, 2006, 08:14:02 pm »
It was a win, without inspiring, and without the players wanting to get out of 2nd gear.

This is the difference between us, and say Man United or Arsenal...they would have taken the opportunity to spank Reading today and put on a show. We just wanted the 90 minutes to end.

Offline Tarpaulin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: November 4, 2006, 08:14:18 pm »
Oh....but a good read though bud. ;)

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: November 4, 2006, 08:16:17 pm »
It was a win, without inspiring, and without the players wanting to get out of 2nd gear.

This is the difference between us, and say Man United or Arsenal...they would have taken the opportunity to spank Reading today and put on a show. We just wanted the 90 minutes to end.

Not the difference between us and Chelsea - two time Premiership winners - though. They can play below par and come away with wins. We grinded out a result today and it's the sort of game that, last season or the season before, without a goalscorer like Kuyt, might have been unable to win.

Offline Tarpaulin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: November 4, 2006, 08:18:23 pm »
Not the difference between us and Chelsea - two time Premiership winners - though. They can play below par and come away with wins. We grinded out a result today and it's the sort of game that, last season or the season before, without a goalscorer like Kuyt, might have been unable to win.

Naaah mate - gonna disagree....the fact that we cant take points in the league against Man U, Arsenal, & Chelsea consistently has meant we havent won the league.

Offline WesternRed

• Optimistic realist with moments of lucidity.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Waiting for the fabled Number 19...
« Reply #7 on: November 4, 2006, 08:20:42 pm »
I wouldn't say we were lacking in ideas so much as Reading played so compact, we found it difficult to make the space to exploit.  Still, a relatively comfortable 2-0 win, I'm happy with that.  Nice report, by the way, Garstonite!
"Against Madrid, Liverpool became a steamroller...  Because of the manner in which they demolished Madrid and then thrashed United they are clearly the side everyone will want to avoid.
- Johan Cryuff, March 17, 2009.

Offline Angelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: November 4, 2006, 08:22:30 pm »
Naaah mate - gonna disagree....the fact that we cant take points in the league against Man U, Arsenal, & Chelsea consistently has meant we havent won the league.

i think what he meant is that even without playing good football, we can grind out decent results whereas the likes of man u and arsenal who play silky football, if they're not on form, usually slump to a defeat or a draw and are not able to grind out results. that's the comparison made between us and chelsea.

i think it's a good sign that we are able to do this. to complement it, we have to improve the level of play. then the trophies can't be far away.

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: November 4, 2006, 08:22:41 pm »
Naaah mate - gonna disagree....the fact that we cant win in the league against Man U, Arsenal, & Chelsea consistently has meant we havent won the league.

Oh deffo, but look at Chelsea against Reading and Sheff Utd in the past few weeks. Shite displays, 6 points. Chelsea get as many points as Man Utd who fucking whack Bolton and Wigan and then when the two sides meet, Chelsea have enough about them to cheat, kick and whinge their way to a controversial 1-0 or something, going onto the win the league. For us, we're a way off this season and I'd be delighted to come 3rd again. Because we've gained a bit of momentum, the game against Arsenal will be interesting. If we lose, the same old shite by the same old faces will come out. But I suppose if we win all 3 games at Anfield against these sides, which we can, then it evens itself out.
« Last Edit: November 4, 2006, 08:24:14 pm by Garstonite »

Offline Tarpaulin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: November 4, 2006, 08:24:23 pm »
Yeah, good points to make mate.

Guess I want the balance of quality against shite team, and grinding out points from the tough teams.

Oh a perfect world eh? :)

Offline Rushian

• Blanco y en botella
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ¡No Pasarán!
    • Red and White Kop
« Reply #11 on: November 4, 2006, 08:37:39 pm »

Think you're being far too generous to both clubs - the last 100 and how ever many years of league champions is full of teams that win games like today 1-0 or 2-0. We did it all the time under Shankly, Paisley, Fagan and Dalglish with the possible exception of 87-88. Comfortable stoic 2-0 wins over lesser opposition are the norm.
If you're going to sign up on Betfair and fancy getting a free £25 on sign-up then use my refer code 749DCNQGK and I'll also get a £25 bonus ;)

Offline zamagiure

• tujenkins
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: November 4, 2006, 08:42:21 pm »
Not read a better match report this weekend i bet
mines a pint

Offline Rizla

• Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Once a knob always a knob
« Reply #13 on: November 4, 2006, 10:02:59 pm »
Wouldnt say it was comprehensive as such...but it was solid, indicative of our home efforts this season

Need to start putting in these efforts away now as well though when we arent really firing but we are getting the job done

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: November 4, 2006, 10:07:40 pm »
Wouldnt say it was comprehensive as such...but it was solid, indicative of our home efforts this season

Considering the statistics, comprehensive is the only word that I find most suiting to this game. It could have been 3 or 4 and in a game that everybody will agree we were not our best in, that says a lot about how creative we've been in the final third at Anfield this season.

Offline Mr Mojo Risin'

• No longer counts double
  • Legacy Fan
  • i've been down so god damn long
« Reply #15 on: November 4, 2006, 10:12:19 pm »
each of our last 4 games we could have bagged a load.
compihensive it was.
DON'T BUY THE  SUN.

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #16 on: November 5, 2006, 09:04:57 am »

I was about to say the similar. We used to complain that the top sides would grind out a routine result sometimes when they are not playing so well.

We did that today, and got the much needed 3 popints.  I suppose after the 4-3 the other week, this was going to be nothing but a 'defensive' display from the Reds.

Happy with the write up, happier with the 3 points. 

Offline mulfella

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hedgehogs are boss
« Reply #17 on: November 5, 2006, 10:44:55 am »
Whilst the debate will still continue over Steven Gerrard, on today’s performance, where he played in three different positions – as a central midfield, a left midfielder and as a second striker – one thing is clear: it doesn’t matter where he plays, because just as long as he is on the field, he will be a menace to the opposition. © Garstonite 2006

And there is lies the answer. I always get the feeling that Rafa plays him not where he'll do the most damage to the opposition, but where he feels attempting to do that damage will least damage the structure of the team, if that makes any sense.

Of course, other factors like injuries force his hand sometimes, but Gerrard in the middle with Alonso should be ok against a side with few forward ambitions, but leaving Xabi alone against a team who will come forward and have some quality in the centre is much more risky. When Gerrard plays in the middle it does often leave Xabi with an awful lot to do when Stevie's off and away.

Not a criticism of Stevie at all, he's crucial to us, but we need to balance those two factors to be successful.

A place full of grammer Nazi's?
'Grammar' and no apostrophe in 'nazis'.

Offline BrettD

• Legacy Fan
    • Want an accessible website? Click here!
« Reply #18 on: November 5, 2006, 12:14:13 pm »
Everybody rose out of their seats expecting the big man to head home, but a half-scuffed header found Dirk Kuyt in space. The Dutchman adjusted his body and fired home to give Liverpool a lead they didn’t particularly deserve. 1-0.

Wouldn't have said that Crouch's header for the goal was 'half-scuffed'. If you watch the replays, it's Kuyt's movement towards the back post that Crouch sees and instead of going for goal himself and getting pilliaried, looks for Kuyt who has a much better chance of scoring.

Aren't you being a bit harsh on Crouch Garstonite?

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: November 5, 2006, 03:11:49 pm »
Wouldn't have said that Crouch's header for the goal was 'half-scuffed'. If you watch the replays, it's Kuyt's movement towards the back post that Crouch sees and instead of going for goal himself and getting pilliaried, looks for Kuyt who has a much better chance of scoring.

Aren't you being a bit harsh on Crouch Garstonite?

to be honest, it looked a lot different in the ground that it did on telly. From where I was in the Paddock, anyway.

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: November 5, 2006, 09:47:39 pm »
another good read Garst.
I noticed yesterday that Sami was almost needing oxygen, he was that far up that often.
Reading let him come on to them so much, they just parted. He seemed to get almost to the penalty box then mostly not know what to do with it.
It seemed when he then consequently lost the ball (not always admittedly) had to leg it back as they counter-attacked. So was it a deliberate policy ? I doubt it but I notice Carra and Gerrard having heated discussions, I think about the midfield coming to pick up the ball off Sami sooner.
Certainly after a while Xabi started to stay further back until Momo came on, and even then Momo played higher up than Xabi.
I've never seen Sami get that much freedom ever. Carra evenhad a run when he had his speculative shot in the first half.
I did worry that Sami thus became our creative outlet for a day, when there are those who are better than him at that.
Yep.

Offline srm

• Main Stander
« Reply #21 on: November 6, 2006, 01:31:33 am »
first anfield game for me really enjoyed it apart forom the not so good seats.,and the clapping before the end of ynwa :butt

i couldnt believe how easy it was for sami and carra going forward and enjoyed the irony of pepe taking out the reading player in the first minute.perked up even more with the arsenal and chav results think were right back in there
gilette and hicks out

Offline XPeriment626

• Main Stander
  • Class and grace - money can't buy either of these
« Reply #22 on: November 6, 2006, 02:57:03 am »
Just a few comments...

I personally didn't feel that Hyypia was the best player on the pitch. Much has been said about the freedom Reading gave him to advance and I think that pretty much explains why he looked better than he has been in recent times. Teams that come to attack, especially with pacy runs from the middle, tend to expose him very easily. Reading didn't bother to come into Liverpool's half at all most of the game, and this meant that Hyypia had a relatively easy game. His distribution has also been somewhat dodgy of late, passing to the opponent when under no pressure whatsoever. Many of the goals conceded recently I would link directly to Hyypia's lack of pace, in some instances leading to the entire defence being skewed out of position because he is caught so far off to one side of the pitch. I have nothing but respect for the "Iceman", but I think his best years are way behind him and I would dearly love to see Agger given more of a run.

As for the comment about Stevie G being employed wherever he would cause "least damage" to our team, I actually think that makes a little sense. Against teams which are strong in attack, Sissoko seems to be the preferred choice in the middle, and Gerrard is given license to roam and attack. Against teams which are likely to park a bus in front of goal like Reading did, Gerrard in the middle gives more attacking creativity and options, although the defensive solidity in the centre is compromised a little. I'm certain Rafa will revert back to XA-MS with Gerrard out right against Arsenal.

As for the "grinding out results" issue, I think that two factors contributed to our performance on saturday. The first was that Reading came to frustrate and play compact defence. You generally don't get spectacular football on either side because of this, when there is hardly any space to pass a ball. Villa, to their credit, came to attack and the game was very open, so we could do some awesome moves and put on a better show. The second contributing factor was that the club was under a lot of pressure prior to the Villa game, especially with the scandal over Noel White's comments. I felt that the team went out with something to prove and really laid into Villa with a vengeance. Against Reading, however, there was a lot less pressure, given the CL success and the previous week's results. The team seemed to take their foot off the gas somewhat and play in a lower gear, conserving energy and avoiding injuries. Not too good for the fans from an entertainment point of view, but if I were Rafa I would be pleased with a decent win, a clean sheet, and no new injuries. I think we have to accept that some games will be played like this in order to keep the team strong for the second half of the season. No point blowing Reading away 7-0 only to go flat by Christmas and drop points.

As for "silky football", I agree that Man U and Arsenal play much more entertaining attacking football than us in general (except for when Xabi is in his zone). However, they have corresponding defensive frailties which can and have been exploited, clearly demonstrated in Europe during the week. While the goal is for us to reach Rafa's Valencia's standard in terms of attractive football and defensive strength, right now I would prefer Chelsea's industrious 1-0 march to the title, than our traditional 4-3 victories over Newcastle. Until we get the elusive number 19 under our belt, attractive football may have to wait in exchange for effective football.

« Last Edit: November 6, 2006, 03:01:12 am by XPeriment626 »
Maybe football won't end all the wars in the world. But it sure keeps people distracted long enough for you to steal their guns!

Offline XPeriment626

• Main Stander
  • Class and grace - money can't buy either of these
« Reply #23 on: November 6, 2006, 03:08:06 am »
i couldnt believe how easy it was for sami and carra going forward and enjoyed the irony of pepe taking out the reading player in the first minute.

I thought it was a little amusing how Pepe decided to send an early message to Stephen "I broke Petr Cech's skull" Hunt. =)
Maybe football won't end all the wars in the world. But it sure keeps people distracted long enough for you to steal their guns!

Offline Jonno

• Anny Roader
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
    • Malaysian Red And White Kopites
« Reply #24 on: November 6, 2006, 04:46:10 am »
As for the comment about Stevie G being employed wherever he would cause "least damage" to our team, I actually think that makes a little sense. Against teams which are strong in attack, Sissoko seems to be the preferred choice in the middle, and Gerrard is given license to roam and attack. Against teams which are likely to park a bus in front of goal like Reading did, Gerrard in the middle gives more attacking creativity and options, although the defensive solidity in the centre is compromised a little. I'm certain Rafa will revert back to XA-MS with Gerrard out right against Arsenal.

Well said mate, I reckon that with him in the middle against teams like Reading will give him the freedom to roam left or right or simply charge down the middle. What did not happen is for both out wingers to drag the full backs or midfield wide for the likes of Stevie or Xabi to exploit.
By putting him on the right or left against bigger team that would come at us, Rafa is using his pace and vision to hit the opposition on the break as well as to curb the attacking threat from that flank. With him on the right or left (personally I prefer right as Riise and whoever plays in front of him is doing quite all right there), him and Finnan can snuff out the danger with ease and at the same time hit them on the break with his runs and crosses. With the option to cut in or to go to the byline, the opposition will no doubt think twice about commiting wingers on that flank, instead, they will probably put one of the CM to have an eye on him too, that way, by dragging the shape out of them, it will make us easier to go through the middle or either flank.
What did not happen is that he gets frustrated when he doesn't see the ball as often if he is out right, thus will go searching for the ball, when this happens, rather than dragging the opposition out of shape, we're left with only Finnan on that side with no cover, many times we got done by rfom the flank this way.
If he make those little runs down the lfank, dragging the defenders or midfielders with him, it will open up play for us to exploit.
A little off topic I know, just me 2 pence worth. Good read Garstonite! Couldn't said it better.
"Son, every man on the street and in the pub has his own view about who should play where, his own team, so do I. The difference is, my team was put to the test time and again, yours weren't and will never be." Roy Evans to me in Kuala Lumpur.

Offline Barenco Saragih

• Kemlynite
  • i will kick your ass...
« Reply #25 on: November 6, 2006, 06:49:59 am »
Disgusting Goal.....
Should Kuyt the goal scorer..? Crouch better... 8)
Horas bah, ahu supporter sian Medan...
Bravo PSMS Medan.....!!!!!

Gerrard ma ta tuhor asa juara..... ;)

Offline Мерфи

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: November 6, 2006, 12:14:07 pm »
Disgusting Goal.....
Should Kuyt the goal scorer..? Crouch better... 8)

They can't all be sideways flying scissors kicks.  Quite nice to see Kuyt putting a couple of sitters in the back of the net, as I lost count of the number of times in the last two seasons where we could have should have had another goal.
Never argue with a fool . . . people may not know the difference .

Offline fudge

• RAWK Gaylord
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm a swine, its my nature"
    • Fat man dancing
« Reply #27 on: November 6, 2006, 01:19:49 pm »
Spot on with Sami getting MOM
Rubber Dinghy Rapids....

Offline Veinticinco de Mayo

• Almost as nice as Hellmans and cheaper too! Feedback tourist #57. President of ZATAA.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In an aeroplane over RAWK
« Reply #28 on: November 6, 2006, 01:52:10 pm »
Great report as usual.

Just to add my two pennorth to the comments.

I don't think Reading were cannon fodder for 4 goals.  They played the majority of the game with nine outfield players behind the ball.  I thought that once we got the goal we'd see the game open up a lot but Coppell stook with the same tactics until they were two behind.  This made for a rather dull, but entirely convincing win. 

I thought that we passed the ball well once more, the difference this time was that there just wasn't much space to move into as Reading were defensively very well organised.  A few years ago this was the type of game where we would really have struggled but the big difference was the freedom that Benitez seems to have allowed Hyypia and Carragher. Reading's two banks were playing very deep and preferred to hold their positions rather than come to the ball. As a result both players often had the freedom to run the ball to within shooting range, an opportunity they both made the most of.  It was refreshing to see and a far cry from a few years ago when we'd have still been seeing Hamann taking the ball from Sami's feet deep in our own half.
Tweeting shit about LFC @kevhowson Tweeting shit about music @GigMonkey2
Bill Shankly - 'The socialism I believe in is not really politics; it is humanity, a way of living and sharing the rewards'

Offline Red-juvenated

• Legacy Fan
  • "Normal One"
« Reply #29 on: November 6, 2006, 05:47:55 pm »
Good read, and glad to see that our defence looks settled, to the extent that our centre backs ventured into scoring positions! The game was played just as it should against opponents who are content to park the bus in front of goal. We are capable of all kinds of football, as the comparison with the Villa game shows.

All good signs, lets just hope we can keep this up, starting with a good run out against Brum - give Bellamy a run out and let Fowler hone his skills.
Doubters to Believers

Offline Hank Scorpio

• is really a Virgo, three pinter. Royhendo's stalker.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • POOLCHECK HOMIE
« Reply #30 on: November 7, 2006, 08:01:11 pm »
Sami Hyypia and Jamie Carragher, given the space to roam due to the fact they only had to worry about one striker, were probably Liverpool’s best attacking players on the pitch. And, seriously, that is no exaggeration. The two were like Brito and Piazza from the famous Brazil 1970 World Cup squad: defenders by name, but not necessarily by nature. In a good way, that is.
I know Hyypia did really well, when in possession, but just imagine if this was Agger coming forward with the ball.

I think we now have a player who can bring the ball out of defence with immense quality.  Teams willing to sit back will have a thing or two more to worry about.