Author Topic: In Celebration of Lucas Leiva  (Read 39362 times)

Offline SquirrelandGman

• 24 Hour Party People Plastic Face Carnt Smile (White Out)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Shagging a sheep somewhere.
Re: In Celebration of Lucas Leiva
« Reply #40 on: July 8, 2015, 02:54:26 am »
First name on the teamsheet, when fit, for me. Should be captain too.

Since gerrard left yes. Been here the longest and deserves to be captain

Offline LiverBirdKop

• A moron. Twice. No flies on their nullshit
  • Legacy Fan
  • 51,077 Deleted
« Reply #41 on: July 8, 2015, 02:56:06 am »
Since gerrard left yes. Been here the longest and deserves to be captain
For me....I agree. No doubt.

Online apassant77

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #42 on: July 8, 2015, 09:25:36 am »
For me he came of age against Man United at Anfield when we won 2-0 in 2009. No Gerrard in the team and Lucas stepped up and bossed it.

Lucas signed shirt is my sons prized possession

Online lucas65

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: July 8, 2015, 09:53:22 am »
We named our dog after him (patterdale terrier) as he's got similar qualities.

He's got a great heart, never stops, loyal, tenacious and you can't get a ball off him  ;D

I'd be gutted if he left.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #44 on: July 8, 2015, 10:03:13 am »

I'd be gutted if he left.

I can imagine, he sounds like a great dog.

Offline RedDevo

• Main Stander
« Reply #45 on: July 8, 2015, 11:52:02 am »
Lucas always had ability but I think he struggled early in his Liverpool career to adjust to the intensity of the Premier League. Not being first choice his game time was limited, so when he did get minutes on the pitch he often seemed to be caught out by the pace of the game, the evident step down in quality from Alonso and Mascherano was painfully exposed. His lack of physical presence was compounded by the tendency to want an extra touch, an extra second on the ball, his football brain was still on Brazilian time.

These early months seem to have left a lasting impression with a section of the fan base and I admit it took me some time to appreciate the player Lucas could become.

It would have been easy for Lucas to cut and run to Spain or Italy where his style would surely have been more suited. It is to his immense credit that he was determined to make himself a success here. An all action Gerrard probably did little to help his development but once he was afforded the chance to recalibrate his boots to GMT the improvement in his performance levels and the growth in his influence on the team was palpable.

He reads the game exceptionally well so combine that with someone who moves the ball quickly and intelligently and you have an top class player on your hands. By the time of his ACL injury he had become Liverpool's most important player and in lots of ways despite being used sparingly by BR he still is. People in football still eulogise about Makalele, if Lucas had played for Chelsea and Real at the time I dare say he would have enjoyed similar adulation.

If I was manager he would be my captain.

Offline mickeydocs

• Legacy Fan
  • Jurgen Klopp - best Liverpool coach since Paisley
« Reply #46 on: July 8, 2015, 12:19:13 pm »
Hope he spends the rest of his career here. Most of all hope the lad finds his pre-injury form.
It’s easy to believe when it’s going well.

Offline boots

• upon a hippo only look good if they match the tutu - fact! Oor Wullie, Your Wullie, A'Buddy's Wullie.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #47 on: July 8, 2015, 12:22:26 pm »
Was a bit of a car crash at the beginning but now hes a midfield general. Great engine on him and 100% commitment. What more can you ask for?
Typing with my finger on my computer. Other appendages are available.

Offline livesound

• Kopite
« Reply #48 on: July 8, 2015, 12:51:06 pm »
Despised him like many others in the beginning but if I thought back in 2008 thinking he'd still be here all these years later and become my favourite player in the team (yes, I'm fucking shocked I have a fave player at my age) I'd laugh myself to death. Lucas Leiva is a fucking hero.

I'd let him destroy me bird. If I had one.

Offline poopscoop

• Kopite
  • And what a delighted scorer – it's Tommy Smith!
« Reply #49 on: July 8, 2015, 01:05:14 pm »
I second that. But it makes me wonder, how does he fit in tactically if Can is moved to midfield?

Absolutely agree with that. Very steady influence.

Offline Red Sea

• ...has (de)parted.
  • Legacy Fan
  • BR is the hero we need, not the hero we deserve.
« Reply #50 on: July 8, 2015, 01:11:56 pm »
how about playing him in defence? He' got a boss spring on him.

Offline reds7

• Kopite
  • Walk on Tommo
« Reply #51 on: July 8, 2015, 01:14:46 pm »
We all love Lucas, but is he really what we need going forward in that position?

Way too much blind love in here. He's been a magnificent servant but on the pitch, doesn't have too much to offer anymore IMO.

Off the pitch though, another story.

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: July 8, 2015, 01:30:23 pm »
We all love Lucas, but is he really what we need going forward in that position?

Way too much blind love in here. He's been a magnificent servant but on the pitch, doesn't have too much to offer anymore IMO.

He's a lovely chap though. The kind you'd want your daughter to marry.
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline Thepooloflife

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 97
« Reply #53 on: July 8, 2015, 01:33:34 pm »

I disagree - I think he's still got plenty to offer. Couldn't agree more with the first two posts - he's a fantastic professional and has much valuable European experience, which will be needed. But for his terrible injuries, he 'd have played many more games and rightly so imo. Much of his game reminds of Ronnie Whelan, though he could do with a few more goals. But, for me, the celebration of Lambert's goal at Villa just sums this man up........absolutely love the guy !! No question we need to keep him.

Offline Jinxsy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Ich bin ein Berliever
« Reply #54 on: July 8, 2015, 01:35:26 pm »

He'll continue be one of the smartest brains & most disciplined players in the team if he gets game time.

He's the type of player that we've always had and will always need - no matter what technical innovations there are in the game.

Don't forget that he came here as an attacking midfielder, with a reputation for running with the ball - the sheer volume of work he's put into 'learning' and mastering the different game he's had to play here whilst under pretty filthy barracking from some of our own is an example to all new signings IMO.
'You think you're having it tough??' Think about Lucas.
'You think you don't need to work?' Look at Lucas.
'Injuries are difficult and the work is hard - you need inspiration?' Look at Lucas.

The lad should be our captain, and I'm certain he would be if his body could be relied upon to get him on the pitch more than 20 games a season.
PoP and others may talk about the fact that more game time would actually allow him to play with less injuries - I'm all for that.

Get him on the pitch more often and give him the armband: He's got plenty left to offer.

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #55 on: July 8, 2015, 01:35:42 pm »
I am not posting this to "try and be cool because I was in the know before others" but I always loved Lucas.

My friends always bad mouthed him, oh he hasn't got this, he hasn't got that, to me that just shows how good a player he is, he does the job asked of him everytime without having to pull some fancy trick, he bossed players many times his size and/or skill in the mid... he just gets the job done and he has always been one of my fav LFC players in recent years along with Hendo, who again got flak where it was not deserved (mostly due to his price tag) and look at him now as well.

Good on you, Lucas! I hope he stays here all of his career, he has a lot to offer on and off the pitch as he seems like an all round nice guy

Offline reds7

• Kopite
  • Walk on Tommo
« Reply #56 on: July 8, 2015, 01:42:52 pm »
He's a lovely chap though. The kind you'd want your daughter to marry.
Absolutely.

Still be nervous around him on the chrimbo kickabouts though.

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: July 8, 2015, 01:53:16 pm »

He'll continue be one of the smartest brains & most disciplined players in the team if he gets game time.

He's the type of player that we've always had and will always need - no matter what technical innovations there are in the game.

Don't forget that he came here as an attacking midfielder, with a reputation for running with the ball - the sheer volume of work he's put into 'learning' and mastering the different game he's had to play here whilst under pretty filthy barracking from some of our own is an example to all new signings IMO.
'You think you're having it tough??' Think about Lucas.
'You think you don't need to work?' Look at Lucas.
'Injuries are difficult and the work is hard - you need inspiration?' Look at Lucas.

The lad should be our captain, and I'm certain he would be if his body could be relied upon to get him on the pitch more than 20 games a season.
PoP and others may talk about the fact that more game time would actually allow him to play with less injuries - I'm all for that.

Get him on the pitch more often and give him the armband: He's got plenty left to offer.

Agreed mate. Lucas gets a lot of love on here for a reason. He's an example and positive role model. Us Liverpool supporters are an emotional bunch ... We respect people who show fight, loyalty and skill.
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline poopscoop

• Kopite
  • And what a delighted scorer – it's Tommy Smith!
« Reply #58 on: July 8, 2015, 02:29:41 pm »

I couldn't care less about his off the pitch persona. Just like I don't give a toss what my employer thinks of me when I'm on my own time. There are players who do the shovel work that enables others to go on and perform, without them the team is diminished. Makele was one, Descamp another, and Dunga could hardly be described as dynamic, creative and exciting.
The only obstacle, other than the manager, to Lucas being the principle defensive midfielder at the club is his injury record. He is tidier and has more positional sense and game intelligence than others in our midfield. You only miss him when he is not there.   

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #59 on: July 8, 2015, 03:33:27 pm »
Love Lucas, but I wonder what Rodgers thinks. It was a special situation with Gerrard, but that's over now.
He really makes his teammates better, but I guess he should score some goals to get more love.

Offline Roger Federer

• Christ imagine naming yourself after Roger Federer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: July 8, 2015, 04:22:31 pm »
Our best midfielder when it comes to controlling the game, his passing is quick, precise and to the right man almost every time. Not to mention his positioning, reading of the game and tackling.

It's a shame about his injuries, otherwise who knows how good he'd be. He still shows us what we lack when he's in the team and on form, but he's not quite at the level I thought he'd reach 4-5 years ago. Sincerely hope he isn't sold, he's our best option if Rodgers continues with a 'controller' in his midfield, and I don't see why he wouldn't.

Offline Dubred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: July 8, 2015, 04:49:38 pm »
I couldn't care less about his off the pitch persona. Just like I don't give a toss what my employer thinks of me when I'm on my own time. There are players who do the shovel work that enables others to go on and perform, without them the team is diminished. Makele was one, Descamp another, and Dunga could hardly be described as dynamic, creative and exciting.
The only obstacle, other than the manager, to Lucas being the principle defensive midfielder at the club is his injury record. He is tidier and has more positional sense and game intelligence than others in our midfield. You only miss him when he is not there.   

Pretty much sums it up for me.

Vital, but sometimes unnoticed, cog.

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #62 on: July 8, 2015, 06:18:06 pm »
Would love him to stay for a few reasons.

Firstly he is our only DM and like many others have mentioned he makes other players look good or allows other pkayers to play better.

Secondly, he has been with us for such a long time. He gets us and he has survived what we have survived over the last 8 years. We have just lost Stevie G and although Lucas is no replacement, he would help make up some of that loss of leadership and knowledge. We have lost Agger and others as well. That is a huge defeceit of experience.

Thirdly, we are about to see a spoiled brat with no loyalty to us leave noisily. It would be good to have Lucas, the survivor of some very dark days, Hodgeson and long term injury, around to counter-ballance that.

I'd even make him captain, but I doubt Brendan would. However I am hopeful that the new assistants may have a word in Brendan's ear about Lucas and his role at the club. They don't seem like yes-men.

Onwards and upwards, hopefully with Lucas too.

"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline macca888

• Macca the Militant Illiterate Gnok. Chief Football Hack aka macca888. Jacqui Smith and Anne Widdecombe, in any order. Or together. He's not fussy. Overdue with Crosby Nick. Recently elevated to status Sir Precious C*nt.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: July 8, 2015, 06:34:38 pm »
Not going to lie, he's my favourite player at the club and has been for a long time, even when Suarez was here. I fucking love the lad. When I see the dignity and passion he's had for us for the last 8 years, and then compare it with how some jumped up little twat treats us after 5 fucking minutes, it makes me appreciate him even more. Sentimental old fool that I am, if City knocked on the door with £50 million and said that they wanted either Sterling or Lucas for the money, but they'd leave the choice down to me, I'd have the little fucking rat out the door sharpish, while me and Lucas sat back drinking out of those weird South American mugs while he regaled me with tales of winding up Jordan Henderson and old bluenoses in the club shop. Then we'd do a search on RAWK for all the people who complain that he gives too many free kicks away in dangerous areas, and laugh as I taught him how to properly pronounce "c*nt" in Scouse. All finished off with a quick game of Race 'N' Chase. I'd even let him go the police car, even though it's faster than the baddies.
Macca resplendent!
A colossus bestriding the
moral high ground as ever.

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
  • the king: making grown men feel like 10-year olds
« Reply #64 on: July 8, 2015, 07:55:01 pm »
there was a time back in 2011 when i was convinced that we'd eventually lose lucas after he captained brazil to the 2014 world cup - he was playing that well the sky seemed the limit.

then that game at stamford bridge, cruelly the day after kenny had complained about the short rest periods and fixture congestion.  it derailed our season (i believe we would have got top 4 fairly comfortably had he stayed fit), and lucas would never - or at least, not yet - return to those imperious heights.  for a period of 18 months or so he was arguably the best DM in the league, maybe even europe.  (the only opposition midfielder who repeatedly outfoxed him was modric).

even so, he remains a wonderful player who is continually adapting to his changing physicality.  if the first yard really is in the brain, he's already about six yards ahead of everyone else.

my favourite player in a squad with few favourites remaining... there's no way he should be sold, although in truth he probably will be gone by january.
Dudek saaaaves for Liverpoool!  Liverpool have won the Champions' League!  Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart!

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #65 on: July 8, 2015, 08:37:50 pm »

Handed this to Lucas at the AC Milan preseason match in Charlotte last summer.  :wave
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline Smellytrabs

• Sme-llytrabs....what are they feeding you? It's not your fault! Has an anus that looks like a *
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: July 8, 2015, 10:39:58 pm »
For me, he's still our most important player. As people have said, first name on the team sheet. Brains and balls, a winning combination.

Offline evie

• "Might have to think about it for a bit, k? No! That's not what I meant! Damn....." Prefers to hold it in.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hero
« Reply #67 on: July 8, 2015, 10:45:12 pm »
Not going to lie, he's my favourite player at the club and has been for a long time, even when Suarez was here. I fucking love the lad. When I see the dignity and passion he's had for us for the last 8 years, and then compare it with how some jumped up little twat treats us after 5 fucking minutes, it makes me appreciate him even more. Sentimental old fool that I am, if City knocked on the door with £50 million and said that they wanted either Sterling or Lucas for the money, but they'd leave the choice down to me, I'd have the little fucking rat out the door sharpish, while me and Lucas sat back drinking out of those weird South American mugs while he regaled me with tales of winding up Jordan Henderson and old bluenoses in the club shop. Then we'd do a search on RAWK for all the people who complain that he gives too many free kicks away in dangerous areas, and laugh as I taught him how to properly pronounce "c*nt" in Scouse. All finished off with a quick game of Race 'N' Chase. I'd even let him go the police car, even though it's faster than the baddies.

:wellin

Offline shravan.satya

• Kopite
« Reply #68 on: July 9, 2015, 11:50:42 am »
A gentleman footballer. Just want to see him succeed wherever he goes although I hope he finishes off his career at Liverpool. Never spoke ill about the club, the fans or the manager through out his stint. He just puts his head down and tries to do what he does best. If he leaves us, it will make me very sad. Love him.
YNWA

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #69 on: July 9, 2015, 09:40:34 pm »
How can you not like this lad?!

leivalucas
Another good day of training !!! 👊🏼 #red #liverpool #ynwa
Unlucky there Adam lad 😂

Offline Packalacky

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: July 10, 2015, 12:06:30 am »
Our longest serving player, and if it were not for the injuries, he would've been one of the greats here in my opinion. A great player on the pitch, and lively off it

Offline xRedmanLFCx

• Legacy Fan
  • Of the glory, round the fields, of Anfield Road!
« Reply #71 on: July 10, 2015, 07:46:54 pm »
My favourite current player - he's a top player but more so, he's a fantastic human being, a real role model. The way he fought through all the negativity to get to where he is as the longest serving Liverpool player is a testament to his determination and mental strength. When he's on the field, he's the first to back up his team mates and get in the face of the opposition. For me, he should be captaining this side.

In 2012 I got Lucas on my LFC shirt. My non Liverpool supporting friends couldn't believe it. They weren't hearing me when I said, "I love him. He is the most underrated player I have ever seen. Hero." I never rated him in the early days (nobody did), but he changed my mind quicker than he changed most others. What he does is only missed when he's not around.

Now most realise what some of us already knew.

Vice Captain for me for sure.
I always said we had the best two teams on Merseyside… Liverpool and Liverpool Reserves.

Offline Dougle

• and the bleu cat!
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: July 13, 2015, 10:40:15 pm »
I am very pleased with this thread. He is also my favourite player currently playing at Anfield. I like how he plays and the role he takes on when he plays. Obviously I don't know him from Adam but from interviews he has given and what a lot of people intimate he is one of those guys who glues the club together. I would imagine he's helped PC a lot, he would understand where he is coming from. I also think he will help Fermino to settle in both socially and within the dressing room.
I think he's fiercely determined and I would have liked to see him given the vice-captaincy personally. I hope he stays and continues to upset all those who can't figure out why he gets on the team. A great guy and a fine footballer.

Offline RainbowFlick

• The Test Ticket Tout. Head of the RAWK Vice Squad.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: July 14, 2015, 09:32:03 am »
He was never my favourite player I admit, but he's been a vital part of the squad ironically - he became core to the little semblance of the old Liverpool Way during tough times for him & the club. He contributed enormously to Suarez settling which isn't really appreciated due to the manner of his departure eventually.

I'd be gutted if we contemplated selling him this summer unless it was for something ridiculous like £20m.

Great OP.

I agree. Like Kolo, he's also great to have around the squad. He's my favourite alongside Sakho, for definite.
YNWA.

Offline redtrev

• Running dog of CAPITALISM
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #74 on: July 29, 2015, 05:26:39 pm »
Lucas has more bass the whole squad put together. When fit he walks into this team.  If he was fit for a long period he'd be my captain also. 

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #75 on: July 29, 2015, 08:04:57 pm »
Lucas has more bass the whole squad put together.

Eh?
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline xRedmanLFCx

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: July 29, 2015, 08:11:09 pm »
His first name is Lucas, is Lucas, is Lucas!

His second name is Leiva, is Leiva, is Leiva!

And that is why we like him, we like him, we like him!

In fact we fucking love him, we love him, we love him....
I always said we had the best two teams on Merseyside… Liverpool and Liverpool Reserves.

Offline guyko21

• Kopite
« Reply #77 on: August 3, 2015, 08:43:00 am »
Hear hear ... great OP and thread!

Such an honest and thoroughly decent fella.  Deserves huge respect. 

Offline WhingingMoaningUpstart

• 'The socialism I believe in is everyone working for each other, everyone having a share of the rewards. It’s the way I see football, the way I see life.' Bill Shankly
  • Anny Roader
  • Al-Monstart Ibn Paisley Ibn Shankly
« Reply #78 on: August 6, 2015, 04:31:34 pm »
Wonderful, wonderful thread. I am so glad I stumbled unto this.

A gentleman off the pitch, and a football scholar on it.

Loyal, humble, hardworking, courageous, selfless - and he reads the game like a book.

I hope to see him dominating the league once again.
RAWK, where childish mods protect their cliques and punish dissenting voices.

Socialism is not communism.

Offline xRedmanLFCx

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: August 21, 2015, 11:16:40 pm »
What a man. I hope and pray that we keep him.

In fact, I hope he starts on Monday night at Arsenal and continues to do so for the rest of the season.