Author Topic: MATCH PREVIEW: Liverpool v Manchester United - Monday, October 17, 20:00  (Read 79931 times)

Offline 007.lankyguy

• Subject of a restraining order by a regular member of the HIGNFY crew. Hasn't got a clue when Liverpool play next. Fully stopped.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
DATE: MONDAY 17th OCTOBER 2016
PLACE: ANFIELD
TIME: 20:00

vs

The difficulty in narrating an atmosphere change in football is that it can very quickly turn the other way again. United are no longer the irrepressible force they were under Mr Ferguson yet they've still finished above us in the last two seasons. For one wonderful, magical season, a resurgence looked on the cards. Then it rapidly crumbled away, back to where it had started. The force was significantly weaker but our overhaul plan didn't sustain.

And yet here we are, seven games into the season, entering this game as favourites. Confidence is soaring, people are starting to make hints about a potential title challenge (premature or not) and we've deservedly won six of our last seven games in all competitions (the one draw coming against second place Tottenham). Two of our starting midfielders may miss the game through injury but hey... we've got two very strong replacements to come in if they don't make it. The signs are that the landscape is changing.

This is no more evident than when looking at the quandaries surrounding each team going into this game. For us, the question is more or less that of who's fit. The system of play (base formation, pressing, tempo) is unlikely to alter. In United's camp though, the questions appear to be far more reactive, i.e. 'Just how will we go about resisting Liverpool's attacking threat?'.

Of course Mourinho has history of being able to subdue attacking forces. He's famous for his attitude to big games ('the team that wins is generally the team that makes the fewest mistakes'). He's done it enough times that people are no longer shocked when it happens. Obviously, we all painfully remember consequences of the time it happened to us.

But this feels different. If we're to look at the bigger picture beyond this game, it feels different. Even if United finish above us in the league this season, it feels different.

That's not all down to our manager; it's very rarely all down to one person, especially given the fickle short-termism that poisons fan bases in the modern game. But no one is kidding themselves enough to deny that a significant portion of it is down to our big German. Monday Night Football would have been swiftly forgiven the other week for cancelling their showing of Burnley v Watford and replacing it with an extra three hours of Jurgen Klopp discussing the history of paintbrush manufacturing had it come to it. That wouldn't have been restricted to our fans either - even neutrals and opposition fans cannot help but be overwhelmingly impressed by the man. And that is perhaps his greatest achievement so far; that just a year into this 'project', opposing managers, players and fans are already more focused on our strengths than they are on our weaknesses. We're effectively on the front foot before a ball is even being kicked.

What makes this even more extraordinary is when you take into account just how far off we are from being the finished product (if such a thing exists). Should United score on Monday, we will have gone ten Premier League games without a clean sheet (https://twitter.com/DanKennett/status/785150287048835072), our worst run since 1998 under the tenure of Roy Evans. Make no bones about it - that's a terrible record. Any suggestion that we might have found the formula for a solid defence is extremely naive at this stage, even with our recent domination of games (Swansea notwithstanding) in mind. Yet it's that domination that is proving of primary focus for people outside the club, so much so that the lack of clean sheets appears, for the moment, to be a background element. Should the lack of clean sheets continue (especially if it's via crosses and set pieces) then this may change a little. But even then, it will be impossible to ignore or put to the back of your mind what we have the capability of doing to you.

That's how we go into this game. We've beaten better teams than United already this season. By contrast, they've failed their only big test so far. They're improving (they comfortably beat Leicester two weeks ago and they easily had enough opportunities to beat Stoke) but so are we. This is a game we can go into with belief. That doesn't make us complacent; no one of rational mind thinks this is a foregone conclusion and our confidence will not have been misplaced should we lose. In no way should we be reluctant though to consider ourselves favourites in case the result does not come. Our manager wants a new era of belief and he's repaying us already. I think we're all confident there's a lot more to come.

Starting Monday.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 04:58:18 pm by lankyguy007. »
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second." Sir Bob

Offline Billy Elliot

• Legacy Fan
Re: MATCH PREVIEW: Liverpool v Manchester United - Monday, October 17, 20:00
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2016, 04:25:13 pm »
Let's just fucking twat them.
With me 3 star jumper half way up me back!

Online Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2016, 04:30:35 pm »
Let's fucking smash these twats!
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline Crimson_Tank

• Rhyming Slang. RAWK Virgil. Knows a proper spit-roast when he sees one.....something to do with the law of the bi.....Is truly a giant amongst the short staff.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Time is an illusion, Lunchtime, doubly so." F.P.
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2016, 04:33:14 pm »
I think we will smash these 4-0.
I watched a YouTube video and decided that Paul Konchesky looked like a player.
A dead animal is a dead animal. And a piece of meat is a piece of meat.

Offline Eleven

• Voted for Trump. Not keen on LGBT rights.
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2016, 04:35:35 pm »
Cracking OP

I'm extremely confident of us winning this game, I haven't been this confident of a game against United since 13/14.

I know Gini is out and Lallana could potentially miss the game, we have more than enough squad depth to make do with their absence from the game.

Can will come in for Wijnaldum, Coutinho will drop into a deeper role and Sturridge will play out wide.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 04:43:53 pm by Eleven »

Online Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2016, 04:38:48 pm »
Who's the ref?
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Online Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2016, 04:39:28 pm »
Sorry only joking.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline Billy Elliot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2016, 04:43:22 pm »
Last time I was this confident of battering them was when we got them in the League Cup in 1990, so I'll go for 1-3 again.
With me 3 star jumper half way up me back!

Offline SC04OCT

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2016, 04:48:07 pm »
Not a fan of the lo-res Liverpool badge next to the HD United one. If anything, give them the shitty quality badge! :lickin

Offline SC04OCT

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2016, 04:54:03 pm »
The 9 games without a clean sheet record is a shame, although we should have had one against Leicester, as their goal was illegal.

Offline 007.lankyguy

• Subject of a restraining order by a regular member of the HIGNFY crew. Hasn't got a clue when Liverpool play next. Fully stopped.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2016, 04:59:13 pm »
Not a fan of the lo-res Liverpool badge next to the HD United one. If anything, give them the shitty quality badge! :lickin
Resolved ;)
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second." Sir Bob

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2016, 05:01:52 pm »
Who's the ref?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37629246

Liverpool v Man Utd: Anthony Taylor appointment criticised

Former referee's chief Keith Hackett has criticised the appointment of Manchester-based Anthony Taylor as the man in the middle for Monday's meeting of Manchester United and Liverpool.

Taylor lives six miles from Old Trafford, which Hackett believes could lead to allegations of partiality.

"No-one is questioning his integrity," Hackett said. "But what if something goes wrong? It would be intolerable."

Offline aggerdid

• Reads the subtitles on "Queer as Folk" from right to left
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2016, 05:31:09 pm »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37629246

Liverpool v Man Utd: Anthony Taylor appointment criticised

Former referee's chief Keith Hackett has criticised the appointment of Manchester-based Anthony Taylor as the man in the middle for Monday's meeting of Manchester United and Liverpool.

Taylor lives six miles from Old Trafford, which Hackett believes could lead to allegations of partiality.

"No-one is questioning his integrity," Hackett said. "But what if something goes wrong? It would be intolerable."

don't like the sound of that. Everyone tweet the fa and it'll get changed
We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey - Kenji Miyazawa

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2016, 05:35:55 pm »
He could be a City fan ... Then the mancs will be upset but who gives a shit about that
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline TheFlyingScouseman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nice day
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2016, 05:48:11 pm »
A 1-0 would be nice, hell, would anyone on here take a draw? Given it's still early the season, had a few mates who said they would take a draw, think their on cloud cuckoo clock land myself.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2016, 05:49:11 pm »
You`d have to be the ballsiest man alive to be biased towards Utd at Anfield with the whole nation watching. I don`t see that happening.

Offline scalatore

• Kopite
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2016, 05:59:39 pm »
So who's the referee for this derby game?  ;D

Seriously though, we're playing much better football than these. I don't think I've felt so confident going into a game against United since 2013/14. Look, they have the capacity to frustrate us, but taken purely on the context of having watched the two teams you'd expect us to be the better team on the day. And it seems silly saying it so early in the season, but a win here really does help our chances of finishing in a Champion's League spot (not in an insurmountable way, but if you could start a 30 game season with a 6 point headstart on these, you'd totally do it).

Offline Digger2God

• Legacy Fan
  • Believe IT!
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2016, 06:03:43 pm »
To Wij or not to Wij?
"How many do you want?! How MANY do you want?"

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2016, 06:09:40 pm »
Can't wait for the despair in the voices of Tyler and Neville when we knock in our 4th goal.

Offline McSquared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2016, 06:11:25 pm »
Can't see anything other than a win for us. They're shite.

Offline IzeOfAnfield

• Main Stander
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2016, 06:11:59 pm »
I don't think Anthony Taylor is biased for or against United, but unfortunately he may find himself in a situation where he can't win. Imagine he was reffing that game where Gerrard took 3 penos? Utd fans would be crying out that he loves Man City, and if the situation were reversed, we'd all be shouting he loves Utd. The FA is idiotic for even putting him in this position in the first place.
Got to love the Klopp

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2016, 06:15:50 pm »
Can't see anything other than a win for us. They're shite.
well, we know how little form counts in these types of games. I think we'll win but after that loss to Aloysius Paulus Maria "Louis" van Gaal's Utd at Anfield (where mata scores two) I'll never be too certain of a win no mater what the comtext is. We were on a hot streak amd they were getting wins, but playing dreadfully, every match. Everyone was convinced of the win and them lo and behold, we screwed it up. Of course, we're mich better than we were then and they're only slightly better tham what they were
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline sonny crockett

• Been highly respecting A@A since 2007, honestly, thinks the world of him!
  • Kopite
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2016, 06:23:26 pm »
DATE: MONDAY 17th OCTOBER 2016
PLACE: ANFIELD
TIME: 20:00

vs

vs

If you're going to mess up anyone's badge, why would it be ours?  ::)

Online Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2016, 06:25:50 pm »
What's our record like with the seeing is believing logo?

Offline Kekule

• Not fussy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2016, 06:40:29 pm »
You`d have to be the ballsiest man alive to be biased towards Utd at Anfield with the whole nation watching. I don`t see that happening.

I'm not saying for one moment that he will be, but if, if he were (or any other ref), what would be the worst that would happen? A bit of booing? Some knobheads somewhere tweeting him shite? Graham Poll and Howard Webb sitting in their ivory towers telling him he got it wrong? I suppose he might be stood down for a week but that's about it. We've seen utterly shite performances from refs before and it's not harmed them, they always come back and it never seems to do them any long term harm. I mean look at the two I've mentioned, they made complete hashes of games on the biggest stage and they are now paid to criticise others.

Not sure it would take balls of steel, particularly. That said I don't think he'll be biased. He might be shite and easily influenced (or overly stubborn to try and seem like he's not easily influenced) but not biased.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 06:44:39 pm by Kekule »

Offline RogerTheRed

• Danke Juergen
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's a golden sky on the way
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2016, 06:58:19 pm »
Come on Redmen!!
Phil and Emre in midfield alongside Hendo and Stude up top with Mane and Firmino will cause them more problems than they can cause us.
Just need cool heads in the last third and we will win comfortably
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!

Online lfcthekop

• knows how to inbed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2016, 07:11:45 pm »
Just fuckin Win.... Cant stand them bastards, and no doubt they will be there in there thousends  trying to drown out YNWA with the vile chants

Offline Curtisinho

• Main Stander
  • YNWA
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2016, 07:21:00 pm »
Do the badges really matter? A 3 year old handrawn Liverpool badge would still be miles better than any shit United can piece together with the world's best artists. One represents greatness, inspiration and the greatest club on earth and the other represents the shittiest shit pile from a floating shit island of shit misfits.
Walk on with hope in your heart and you'll never walk alone.

Offline ZeusMetallica

• Kopite
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2016, 07:27:47 pm »
I'm a bit nervous for this one. However it's a home game, and we've done well at Anfield so far.

Offline Le_Mot_Juste

• Pity that it is hidden in thousands of considerably less merit.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fully endorse my custom title
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2016, 07:29:15 pm »
I'm not saying for one moment that he will be, but if, if he were (or any other ref), what would be the worst that would happen? A bit of booing? Some knobheads somewhere tweeting him shite? Graham Poll and Howard Webb sitting in their ivory towers telling him he got it wrong? I suppose he might be stood down for a week but that's about it. We've seen utterly shite performances from refs before and it's not harmed them, they always come back and it never seems to do them any long term harm. I mean look at the two I've mentioned, they made complete hashes of games on the biggest stage and they are now paid to criticise others.

Not sure it would take balls of steel, particularly. That said I don't think he'll be biased. He might be shite and easily influenced (or overly stubborn to try and seem like he's not easily influenced) but not biased.

I think the fact the wider media have picked up the story - and the BBC have actually published an article about it - will actually work in our favour. He wont want to be seen as pandering to Utd now. He might actively ref the game in a more pro Liverpool manner, even subconsciously, as an attempt to disprove the negative headlines about his selection.
To choose dogma and faith over doubt and experience is to throw out the ripening vintage and to reach greedily for the kool-aid.
- Hitch

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2016, 07:47:53 pm »
Fantastic OP. Many thanks for expressing so well what many of us think. We are more than capable of beating them so let's make it happen. The atmosphere needs to be up there. Can't wait.
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Online Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2016, 07:53:30 pm »
I think the fact the wider media have picked up the story - and the BBC have actually published an article about it - will actually work in our favour. He wont want to be seen as pandering to Utd now. He might actively ref the game in a more pro Liverpool manner, even subconsciously, as an attempt to disprove the negative headlines about his selection.

Well going on the notion that the guy is not a complete idiot, he will of course be very conscious of being bias either way, as he knows people will be watching to see if he over-compensates.

So at best it will just completely fuck his head up to the point he will be prone to making a big error of judgement either way. Who gets that big error is down to pure luck and what happens on the night. Either way if he does mess up the FA won't care and it's no surprise at all they've done this in the first place, they have such a history of incompetence it's just another day to them.

Offline Doc Red

• Chills before posting and wishes others had too
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The eye cannot see what the mind does not know.
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2016, 08:02:13 pm »
Great OP!

Can't wait for the despair in the voices of Tyler and Neville when we knock in our 4th goal.

And this!
The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel its warmth.
There go my people. I must follow them, for I am their leader.

Offline Wingman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2016, 08:41:47 pm »

They will park the bus. I have a horrible feeling that it might work too.

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2016, 08:45:33 pm »
What's our record like with the seeing is believing logo?

Didn't we have that when we lost against Chelsea in 2014  :(

Edit - No we didn't  :)

Wore it against Spurs that season though  :)

West Brom in 2013  :(

Chelsea in 2012  :)

« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 08:51:13 pm by Barneylfc »
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline MolbyLovesGravlax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2016, 09:01:00 pm »
Fucking 'orrible bastards. Let's twat 'em...
"This is Anfield, this is what they do." Thomas Tuchel

@dgljones

Offline Reeves

• Back from the dead. Bit simples.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "THE DISTANCE BETWEEN INSANITY AND GENIUS.........
    • RAWK
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2016, 09:25:33 pm »
I think we're underestimating the absence of lallana and wijnaldum
..........IS MEASURED ONLY BY SUCCESS"

RAWK - HJC Champions 2003
Former RAWK Scribe 2002 - 2004

Offline 007.lankyguy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2016, 09:34:11 pm »
They will park the bus. I have a horrible feeling that it might work too.
It might do. But they'll have to cope with our pressing and our attacking play. They'll have to find a way to stop Mane 1v1 against Blind, they'll have to be more compact in midfield than they have been for most of the season to stop Henderson/Coutinho/Firmino finding space (and possibly Sturridge dropping off between the lines if he starts) and they'll have to be extra careful in the box so they don't give any penalties away.

It's a risky game sitting off against us.

Offline rscanderlech

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2016, 09:55:45 pm »
I think we're underestimating the absence of lallana and wijnaldum
Likewise. Our midfield is not the same midfield without those two. Coutinho can more or less replace Lallana if Klopp chooses to put him there but there is no substitute for Wijnaldum in particular and what he does for the midfield. And I doubt that we will put out some U23 player with the skills for obvious reasons.

But if Can plays well at his own game then I'm not worried about the midfield but it wont be the well oiled machine that has seen us at 2nd in the league for possession with superb tempo.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2016, 10:25:17 pm »
Nice OP.

Agree with the confidence coming back. We can do these.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."