Author Topic: John Henry: May be no more Anfield expansion due to ticket price considerations  (Read 24557 times)

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
This is where I'm at as well. I think perhaps a more carefully worded statement on the club website would have been a better way of going about it.

Sometimes its not so much about the message, but how you get the message to land. This has come down with a louder bang than the bitters did last Saturday afternoon.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
That's the "might" in my sentence. It "might" not be worth doing...
My apologies then mate, didn't read it correctly, I'm down with Flu!
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
My apologies then mate, didn't read it correctly, I'm down with Flu!

No worries, it's all well and good to be disappointed in the statement, it's a horrible PR worded statement, they could have done much better with it, no one is saying different. I think everyone would agree a bigger stadium would be welcome, but it's not a discussion here, it's a bitchy, whiny moan fest by people.

Offline Smurfite

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
So the 2/3 million from the planned increase would have been enough to build a whole new Annie Road?

Fuck me maybe I should consider gettin that new shed.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
No worries, it's all well and good to be disappointed in the statement, it's a horrible PR worded statement, they could have done much better with it, no one is saying different. I think everyone would agree a bigger stadium would be welcome, but it's not a discussion here, it's a bitchy, whiny moan fest by people.

you forgot absolute knee-jerk with no middle ground either.

Offline murgaz

• Anny Roader
Not really arsed abar anyone else but us. 70,000 is a no-goer, simple as, we'd never fill it regularly enough to justify it.

Does anyone really think that season ticket and match day prices are to go down and go down consistently or not even follow some level of inflation?

I await the next knee jerk clamour debate for not enough season tickets and we can align it to this thread. 

Some people want their stand and to s-eat in it.

Sorry mate I disagree. We have a huge untapped fan base that we've chosen to exclude over the last 25 years because we haven't had the imagination to build a proper stadium expansion. Every stand has been done up short term and on the cheap.
There are 1000s of local kids who never go to Anfield, there are 1000s more who have jibbed it because of the price. We filled Wembley for a pre-season friendly. It's imagination we lack not supporters.
I think FSG are just the latest in a line of short termist thinkers who are happy to make a quid and pass us on to the next can on the rank.
Our whole mindset is warped. Why is the stadium about revenue? Why not make it about supporters like in Germany. The real money is in media and sponsorship.

Offline kcbworth

• Legacy Fan
Maybe it's not going anywhere, maybe it was just an off hand comment?

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
The club will project costs and revenue for the expansion. If the stand pays for itself within a period short enough for them, they will go ahead, otherwise they won't. Ticket prices affect those revenue estimates.

But for the club as well as FSG there is no point expanding the stand if it loses money. At some point that extra couple of million will be the tipping point.

I suspect the club's favoured option was always to wait and see how the revenue from the main stand performs against expectation, and how the demand decreases with the increased capacity.

yup, some still seem to think FSG see the club as a charity not a business

This and This.

Nail on the Head.

Guys, I get it, we're supporters and we don't want to be blamed and want to get into the games at an affordable price, but this is modern football, we are owned by businessmen, this is how it is and if you yourselves had business and gave all your mates discounts because deep down it's the right thing to do etc even the small profits/margins would add up in the end and you'd run it into the ground.

I for one like that our club is run by FSG, as far as businessmen they seem to be smart and made good moves, they have ran LFC well and some people here on the first page already asking them to fuck off over one article like this.

Grow up you, some have forgotten what other types of owners we had not long ago, what owners other clubs have... wise up and stop thinking FSG owe you something, they don't.

Bring in a great manager, just given us a world class new stand which we needed, let the manager do his thing... and we still moan.

Best fans in the world......

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I was wondering about this and whether we have been selling out the ground following the Main Stand expansion. Or more specifically the corporate section. Be interesting to know if this is playing into any decision to reconsider the ARE extension.

Corporate tickets seem to be available on the website for all home games -  even including United. Will be interesting of what the take up of these tickets are for Spurs. Given it's the 1st midweek game of the new season.

I've got a bit of a bee in my bonnet about the whole corporate thing because I think we're doing more corporate than was originally promised - but I'd like to see more detail - I posted something in the Season Ticket waiting list thread http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=271765.0 seeing if anyone had any info to build on Harinder's work.

But you say availability is still there for United, what it looks like has happened is that planned corporate sold out fairly quickly, so they added more packages, there's now 4x offsite offerings which is 1st time this season that they have been available. So I think they keep adding until demand is covered which means fewer GA tickets.

I don't necessarily have a problem with building the corporate side, but it there needs to be a bit of openness about how many GA tickets will be there for members and you'd like to think that given the club sells the atmosphere, they are aware of the need to balance the Corps/THomas Cooks with people who'll make some noise.

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
This is what happens when we're living inside a bloody equity myth!
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline murgaz

• Anny Roader
This and This.

Nail on the Head.

Guys, I get it, we're supporters and we don't want to be blamed and want to get into the games at an affordable price, but this is modern football, we are owned by businessmen, this is how it is and if you yourselves had business and gave all your mates discounts because deep down it's the right thing to do etc even the small profits/margins would add up in the end and you'd run it into the ground.

I for one like that our club is run by FSG, as far as businessmen they seem to be smart and made good moves, they have ran LFC well and some people here on the first page already asking them to fuck off over one article like this.

Grow up you, some have forgotten what other types of owners we had not long ago, what owners other clubs have... wise up and stop thinking FSG owe you something, they don't.

Bring in a great manager, just given us a world class new stand which we needed, let the manager do his thing... and we still moan.

Why just accept something if it's wrong?
This 'leave them alone they're businessmen' completely reductive. They have made a tidy £3/4bn by not doing anything other than managing our expectations downwards. Do you think a long term approach of excluded your support base is good for business or just good to go?
What is the purpose of this business anyway? Profit? Asset appreciation or perhaps football has a broader social and cultural purpose that all this neo-liberal thinking wants to obliterate

Offline PhilV

• Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
Why just accept something if it's wrong?
This 'leave them alone they're businessmen' completely reductive. They have made a tidy £3/4bn by not doing anything other than managing our expectations downwards. Do you think a long term approach of excluded your support base is good for business or just good to go?
What is the purpose of this business anyway? Profit? Asset appreciation or perhaps football has a broader social and cultural purpose that all this neo-liberal thinking wants to obliterate

It's not acceptance as such, it's being realistic, I want our club to be ran well, I don't want them to be in debt like we were before, I don't want us to have dodgy dealings, I want the club ran well so that it is sustainable and we can buy players when we need them and so on.

Realistically people say oh it's only an extra 3M a year, the stand costs 100M why does it matter?

It matters because they calculate how much money they will make back per year and how long it will take to pay back the loan for the stand, if the money works out long term, return on investment if you will, this is normal business practice, not FSG being dickheads... hence "being realistic" is my point.

Where did you get this £3-4B they have made from out of interest???
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 02:56:10 pm by PhilV »

Offline istvan kozma

• Legacy Fan
  • "We have dreams and songs to sing"
Given that the club has made a profit on transfers this season, it'll be interesting to see where that money goes in the accounts. I've got a feeling it's gonna pay for a new mansion for Henry and Werner

Much more important than reducing the crazy demand for anfield tickets I guess, sat below Newcastle and soon spurs is just the sweet spot for a club our size
Why do posters like yourself keep coming out with BS that you can't back up. Certain people are desperate for FSG to be H+G, it gives them a opportunity to get back up on their soap box and have a rant.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 02:57:20 pm by istvan kozma »

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Sorry mate I disagree. We have a huge untapped fan base that we've chosen to exclude over the last 25 years because we haven't had the imagination to build a proper stadium expansion. Every stand has been done up short term and on the cheap.
There are 1000s of local kids who never go to Anfield, there are 1000s more who have jibbed it because of the price. We filled Wembley for a pre-season friendly. It's imagination we lack not supporters.
I think FSG are just the latest in a line of short termist thinkers who are happy to make a quid and pass us on to the next can on the rank.
Our whole mindset is warped. Why is the stadium about revenue? Why not make it about supporters like in Germany. The real money is in media and sponsorship.

There's a lot that I agree with in this post, particularly the final part. Sad that the stadium should always be about revenue, and not the supporters. We have an opportunity to get 5,000 more supporters into the stadium, and give more people the opportunity see the game. We have a 25,000 strong season ticket waiting list.

With the low net spend on transfers, increased TV revenues, and increased corporate revenues from the main stand ... taking this all into account, could they throw us a bone and give a bit back to the supporters. You know, being "custodians" and all that bullshit. Laughable.

I live in the real world - they're decent owners. Grateful they got the stadium project progressed and they've been steady, and brought in some good players and an amazing manager. We've progressed under them. But they're not stupid - an amazing manager saves them money on transfers and wages.

Overall impression - careful spenders (good!), quite disconnected from the supporters (not so good!)

Football is so dead, yet we get sucked back in every time.
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline murgaz

• Anny Roader
It's not acceptance as such, it's being realistic, I want our club to be ran well, I don't want them to be in debt like we were before, I don't want us to have dodgy dealings, I want the club ran well so that it is sustainable and we can buy players when we need them and so on.

Realistically people say oh it's only an extra 3M a year, the stand costs 100M why does it matter?

It matters because they calculate how much money they will make back per year and how long it will take to pay back the loan for the stand, if the money works our, return on investment if you will, this is normal business practice, not FSG being dickheads... hence "being realistic" is my point.

Where did you get this £3-4B they have made from out of interest???
£.75bn. It's the difference between what they paid for us and what they could sell us for now, give or take. They're an investment fund and we're an asset. I think we should aim higher

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
£.75bn. It's the difference between what they paid for us and what they could sell us for now, give or take. They're an investment fund and we're an asset. I think we should aim higher

Like who?

Offline PhilV

• Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler

Oh right, I misread that sorry.

As for the other bit, I get it and I honestly know where you are coming from, but I think we have been ran fairly well, short of an owner like City have we can't do much better I would say given our size.

Realistically, someone like City have, as in, astronomically rich, is the only type of owner where they could build a new stand and price tickets at a good price to get kids in, fill it up week in, week out and essentially build it at a loss to ensure a future generation of supporters and so on.

FSG as you say are a business, business run with an idea to make money, we are also a business in a way and they won't give us a new stand out of the kindness of their hearts, I get that it sucks an all but I am just being realistic, if it was me I wouldn't do it for free, I'd expect to make a little more per year for the provision of something that could be there for minimum 5 decades

Online stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
This and This.

Nail on the Head.

The problem in my view is that you cannot run a football club as a business in certain areas. For the most part, I think FSG have done a decent job. However, they still don't seem to have grasped that football clubs in Europe aren't franchises like the teams in US sports. Clubs are very much part of the community. Supporters don't just go there to be entertained or have a nice day out. They go there to support the team. They are part of it. I'm not saying that this might not be the case for some sports franchises in the US, but in general there seems to be much less attachment to teams and it's more about having an entertaining afternoon and if the team gets relocated people just pick a different activity. That's why the whole "If you don't like the prices, just don't go to the match" might work in the US, but won't work in Europe. People are passionate about their club and cannot simply stop going to the match unless they are really priced out.

Offline murgaz

• Anny Roader
Like who?
If they put us up for sale tomorrow do you imagine there would be no buyers? One of the most recognisable names in world sport in a market with the a TV rights deal second only to the NFL. With a global fan base to attract sponsors in a field where multi-media platforms are desperate for (especially sports) content. Where Internet traffic has been barely monetised yet.
Like who indeed

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I don't know about others, but I don't know where this "FSG have just tricked you into lowering expectations" comes from. They certainly haven't lowered mine.

I also refuse to blame them for 1 trophy in their 6 years here and if there was any kind of blame to go around, it would make more sense for it to be towards managers and players, past and present, and not the ownership group that has pumped in hundreds of millions of pounds towards transfers, agent fees and wages of said players and managers.
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Offline ollick

• Huge Dick..and a Big Knob too!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Arghhhh

With the low net spend on transfers, increased TV revenues, and increased corporate revenues from the main stand ... taking this all into account, could they throw us a bone and give a bit back to the supporters. You know, being "custodians" and all that bullshit. Laughable.

Low net spend due to Klopp,no? Don't you think it's wise to have money available for transfers when needed? Haven't FSG shown in the past that they support their manager when going into the transfer market?

Revenues from the MS are being used to pay for the MS no? that has always been their policy, there is no 'extra' revenue from the MS until it is paid off hence why the increase in corporate prices and their ill fated attempt to increase ticket prices, pay the MS off sooner.

Where else do you think this increased TV revenue could go? we are not the only club to recieve this money, everyone in the PL is supposedly awash with cash, prices for players and the money they get will also increase.

Would you be happy if the development of the ARE directly impacted on the clubs ability to attract and then hold on to player? I wouldn't.

I live in the real world - they're decent owners. Grateful they got the stadium project progressed and they've been steady, and brought in some good players and an amazing manager. We've progressed under them. But they're not stupid - an amazing manager saves them money on transfers and wages.

How does it? How does having an amazing manager save them money? Didn't under any of our previous managers (and by that I am looking at Rafa and Kenny in terms of spending during their time at the club, not under FSG for Rafa obviously)

Why do people quote other people for the sigs?  What' the point?

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
There's a lot that I agree with in this post, particularly the final part. Sad that the stadium should always be about revenue, and not the supporters. We have an opportunity to get 5,000 more supporters into the stadium, and give more people the opportunity see the game. We have a 25,000 strong season ticket waiting list.

Overall impression - careful spenders (good!), quite disconnected from the supporters (not so good!)

Why should they? I'm curious.

Offline Bend It Like Aurelio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
If they put us up for sale tomorrow do you imagine there would be no buyers? One of the most recognisable names in world sport in a market with the a TV rights deal second only to the NFL. With a global fan base to attract sponsors in a field where multi-media platforms are desperate for (especially sports) content. Where Internet traffic has been barely monetised yet.
Like who indeed

Yes, and the next buyer would just be apt to expand the stadium, out of pocket, lower ticket prices, and then still spend loads on transfers, because we are Liverpool. Yes.

I see already this thing about not wanting us become the next Chelsea/City in the Chinese thread. Then people expect a billionaire owner (a really rich one needed) who has great ethics to come in, buy the club, and become a charity case for the club?

Sorry mate, you can aim higher, but the type of owner you want doesn't really exist anywhere, in any sport.

Offline exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97

NFL would be a more accurate comparison (though they play less)

Not always.  Plenty of $150-$200 per game tickets knocking around in the NFL.
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Online 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
Like who indeed

Where were these buyers all lined up when they could have had us for a relative song when H&G owned us?

Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Like who indeed

So who is going to buy us that will immediately expand the stadium, lower ticket prices, buy 40m-60m players out of their own pocket?

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Wait, what am I missing here?

Wouldn't an amazing manager, like Klopp is, tend to attract better players who command higher transfer fees and wages?

And wouldn't an amazing manager, like Klopp is, hopefully get us a trophy(s) and get us back into the Champions League, where more money is to be made?

What kind of conspiracy theory have you got going on?
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Online 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
I'd also like to point out...we don't have the new tv money to spend.

We won't until next August. That's when the PL allocation to clubs happens based on the previous season.

You can, if you want to be like Everton and constantly borrow against future revenues and pay the interest associated along with the principle.

Offline ollick

• Huge Dick..and a Big Knob too!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Arghhhh
Like who indeed

Struggling to find a sponsor for the new MS though.

Hard for the club to provide multi-media platforms that would generate the kind of revenue that we would need, there was a case a while back that the club should go it alone and stream it's own matches away from Sky, but to do that would need the agreement of all other clubs in the PL and they wouldn't give it. It would only increase the disconnect between the big clubs and the likes of Bournemouth and Hull etc.
Why do people quote other people for the sigs?  What' the point?

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
So who is going to buy us that will immediately expand the stadium, lower ticket prices, buy 40m-60m players out of their own pocket?

Maybe Moshiri will want to create a combined Liverpool super club? He's got £1.3bn he'll happily throw away, apparently.

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
Why do posters like yourself keep coming out with BS that you can't back up. Certain people are desperate for FSG to be H+G, it gives them a opportunity to get back up on their soap box and have a rant.

In one.

Some fans want, no, demand, that the club must be owned by people who are willing to plough every penny they own into it and then to borrow more at their own expense and put that into the club, too, without ever taking a penny out or ever considering the prospect of selling.

Of course, if such lunatics exist, they'll already long ago have pissed away any money they have and be in no position to buy a packet of fags, much less a Premier League football club.

There's also a depressing willingness, no, determination, to read everything in the most negative and offensive manner imaginable. I remember some kids like this at school, who would always leap on anything anybody said, desperate to find some excuse to take offence. I thought it was idiotic then and I haven't warmed to it since. Surely it gets tiring? Surely it is irritating? What satisfaction can there be in it? Someone said something that can possibly be interpreted as an insult, so I must take it that way and get all hissy about it, even though I have no idea of the context. They have to know they are doing this? Just knock it off for a week or so, see if life gets easier.

Nobody here knows what extending the ARE would cost. Nobody knows what ticket prices FSG had envisaged for it. Nobody outside of the club and the owners has any of the information needed to calculate what it would cost them to lend the funds to the club to do the work, or indeed if there is proven demand for that many more tickets.

I especially like the double-think around the "new tv deal" money. As if we were competing not with other Premier League sides, who have all also got "new tv deal" money, but with the Liverpool FC of a few years ago. As if we were somehow preserved in time, locked in the recent past, and our competition were all electing not to spend their own income on transfer fees and wages for never-specified reasons, but were playing according to the budgets they had before.

And finally, the "FSG are bleeding us dry" bullshit needs to be called for what it is. Like them or choose to loathe them, they have never taken money out of the club and they have never taken money out of the Red Sox. That's not how their business model works. More money for the club just means more spent on players, mostly on wages. If anyone's "bleeding us dry" it's that mercenary bunch of lads in red.

We don't resent them for it, though, do we?
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
Maybe Moshiri will want to create a combined Liverpool super club? He's got £1.3bn he'll happily throw away, apparently.

He has to spend that and then borrow more against the club and put all that in, too. That's what we demand.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline murgaz

• Anny Roader
Yes, and the next buyer would just be apt to expand the stadium, out of pocket, lower ticket prices, and then still spend loads on transfers, because we are Liverpool. Yes.

I see already this thing about not wanting us become the next Chelsea/City in the Chinese thread. Then people expect a billionaire owner (a really rich one needed) who has great ethics to come in, buy the club, and become a charity case for the club?

Sorry mate, you can aim higher, but the type of owner you want doesn't really exist anywhere, in any sport.
Nothing to do with charity it's about long term thinking. German stadiums are open for fans all day, the concourses are full before and after the games. They make money. As fans we have a much greater power to dictate what our club should look like than we could ever imagine. Last year's protest showed what could be done. German supporters would never let their game go the way of ours.
If we lie down and accept what we're given then of course we'll end up happy with what we've got. FSG's model is for short term gain why not demand more and more of a say

Offline murgaz

• Anny Roader
Where were these buyers all lined up when they could have had us for a relative song when H&G owned us?

The H&G you supported?

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
Like who indeed

Rumours continue to abound that for the right price they would sell. Hence Chinese interest in buying the club or at least a stake of it.

What do you mean "up for sale"? At what price? Are they desperate to sell, and would do so at a loss? Or would they as an investment fund hold out for all they could get?

Because if they're, as you say, merely a short-termist investment fund - why AREN'T the trying to sell us given the amount of value they've added to the club? They've been here 6 years now, and short of expanding the Anny Road I can't see them being able to do much more off the pitch. If we get into the CL then fantastic but apparently they don't give a cr*p and would rather we be mediocre (an argument I've never understood when talking about investors selling an asset but never mind).

And who would buy us? More businessmen? Would they make decisions in a different way? Better for the fans? Or might they be worse? A sugar daddy with oil money? Or some hypothetical benevolent billionaire Liverpool fan, who would allow 49.5% fan ownership, and make all decisions in the fans best interests?

I would dearly love the latter, and for the club to be built on that German model. But it's a dream, and unless someone steps up and identifies themselves then we're just left with a choice between more of the same (who could well be worse - see H&G, Randy Lerner, etc) or Abramovich/Oil Sheikhs. Who don't give the impression they give much of a cr*p about the fans either.

It's all a bit pointless to argue that there are people who want to buy us when there simply isn't any evidence to suggest this is the case. There might be people who would be tempted if we were shopped about but no guarantee they'd be any better.

Online 4pool

• Legacy Fan
Struggling to find a sponsor for the new MS though.

Hard for the club to provide multi-media platforms that would generate the kind of revenue that we would need, there was a case a while back that the club should go it alone and stream it's own matches away from Sky, but to do that would need the agreement of all other clubs in the PL and they wouldn't give it. It would only increase the disconnect between the big clubs and the likes of Bournemouth and Hull etc.

In Liga MX, the Mexican league for those who don't follow, Club America this season has gone to streaming their own matches on their own in house club website channel. Club America is in Mexico City and is one of the two most popular and successful sides in Mexico. Chivas of Guadalajara being the other.

Their up takes on subs for streaming have been disappointingly low. It has also effected home attendance as supporters are pissed off at the money grab from the club by forcing the supporters to pay to watch at home because they can no longer watch on tv. So the silent protests have had an effect.

Be careful what you wish for.. :P

( not you personally btw.)

Offline FrancisB

• Main Stander
Yeah, how dare anyone criticises Henry for blaming an irrelevant ticket protest, for their decision to opt out of ARE expansion.

Offline Commodore64

• Kemlynite
Re: John Henry: May be no further Anfield expansion due to ticket price protests
« Reply #238 on: September 29, 2016, 03:32:18 pm »
How about they take it out of the enormous profit they've already made on the back of our history and culture?

I don't think they have mad anything like a profit, much less an enormous one.

Offline stevensr123

• bedwetter
  • Legacy Fan
I don't think they have mad anything like a profit, much less an enormous one.
they will do when they eventually sell us because

1. They bought us on the cheap.
2. The CLUB would have paid for a brand spanking to stadium they can tout for a few hundred million more.

Seriously don't know why FANS defend them as much as they do.
PUSSY cat, PUSSY cat, I love you,  yes I do.......