Author Topic: Liverpool CEO Ian Ayre to join 1860 Munich  (Read 4428 times)

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
Liverpool CEO Ian Ayre to join 1860 Munich
« on: September 27, 2016, 05:49:04 pm »
Ian Ayre will take over as general manager at German club TSV 1860 Munich when he leaves Liverpool next summer.

Jordanian businessman Hasan Ismaik, who is the Second Division club’s majority shareholder, is planning a big shake-up in order to push for promotion to the Bundesliga and targeted Ayre to be part of it.

Boyhood Liverpool fan Ayre announced back in March that he would be stepping down as the Reds’ chief executive when his current contract expires at the end of this season.

“We want to get the best people to help us,” Ismaik told Bavarian newspaper Munchner Merkur.

“Peter Cassalette (club president) and I have led the conversations with him. He is the right person for our future.

“The fact that we were able to convince such a big name to come from a world association to 1860, we are proud. That was not easy,

“When he found out about the tradition of the club, he was very enthusiastic.”

Ayre joined Liverpool in 2007 as commercial director and was promoted to managing director in 2011 and then chief executive in 2013.

Speaking back in March about stepping down from his role, Ayre said: “If becoming chief executive of Liverpool Football Club was the greatest honour of my professional life, then deciding to step down at the end of my current contract is by far the most difficult.

“Having the privilege to lead this great club comes with huge responsibility and challenge but one which I have relished and I feel proud of my achievements in the role.

"I believe the end of next season is the right time to pass the CEO baton on to a new person, who will take on the challenges and opportunities with a fresh enthusiasm and vigour.”

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-ceo-ian-ayre-join-11946719
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Re: Liverpool CEO Ian Ayre to join 1860 Munich
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 05:51:05 pm »
Actually thought he may have ended up in the US, so bit surprised to see him head to Germany.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 05:52:22 pm »
Ian Ayre on the Autobahn will be a sight to see.

Offline Zee_26

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2016, 05:53:48 pm »

Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads...

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2016, 05:55:07 pm »

Are the leather clad German biker bars similar to how they are depicted in movies?  :o ??? ;D

Offline goalspaytherent

• Just thought of a CT.....then saw the post history.....not gonna bother.......
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm your huckleberry
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2016, 06:01:26 pm »
"Pubic" ( his nickname in school ) , will only be a few hundred miles down the road from the Ukraine ...he will be there in a couple of hours on his bike ....only needs a sidecar fitted to bring a player back in

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2016, 06:03:21 pm »
Hah. Wonder if 1860 make their staff pose in lederhosen like Bayern do....
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline Passmaster Molby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2016, 06:05:19 pm »
Fucks sake, we keep losing our best talent to the big clubs.

FSG out, no ambition, etc etc........

Offline Alan B'Stard

• Wistfully recalling maternal tongue.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never rub another mans rhubarb!
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2016, 06:14:10 pm »
Are the leather clad German biker bars similar to how they are depicted in movies?  :o ??? ;D
You mean the blue oyster bar?
“If you don't stand for something you will fall for anything”

🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆
77 78  81 84 05 19

Offline exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2016, 06:22:19 pm »
Maybe he can keep a look-out for some up-and-coming German talent for us.
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Offline KingOfStrongStyle

• Anny Roader
  • Dub Nation!
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2016, 06:29:39 pm »
Julian Weigl was signed by Dortmund from 1860 Munich for 500k, hopefully he can aid us to find gems of that ilk.

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2016, 06:56:23 pm »
Well in Ian.  Hopefully he can lead them back to being the biggest club in Munich again.

Offline De La Goal

• Anny Roader
  • Me, Myself and LFC
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2016, 07:03:50 pm »
Good luck to him. He may not the best-loved figure among supporters, but he played his part in emptying out H&G, massively improved the club's commercial side and oversaw the arrival of Klopp. All of which puts him on the side of the angels.

Offline crackerbox

• Yes boys, shorts weather
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Up n' about
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2016, 07:04:17 pm »
Hah. Wonder if 1860 make their staff pose in lederhosen like Bayern do....
They do. They also make a special one-off Oktoberfest kit every year.

I was in Alder Hay with an abscess on my hip in about 1973 and Bill Shankly never came and played the bongos for me.

http://twitter.com/crackerboxx

Offline WidnesJon

• Sworn enemy of RuncornPaul
  • Main Stander
  • Kemlyn Hughes
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2016, 07:20:41 pm »

Wir fahren fahren fahren auf der Autobahn

Cheers
Jon

Offline Lazy Gun

• Anny Roader
  • My wife, Jurgena.
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2016, 07:23:55 pm »
Well I'm sure he will enjoy the beer culture there.  Every time Ive seen him in town he's been well on.
Believer

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2016, 07:30:16 pm »
They do. They also make a special one-off Oktoberfest kit every year.

;D

Now add the Harley...
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline ryatnalkar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2016, 07:43:23 pm »
I never understood the hate that majority of supporters feel about their own clubs CEO's. When a club loses out on players, Ian Ayre doesn't decide what offer to make for a player. He is the face of the organization that takes numbers from a mix of football and finance guys and represents that to the selling club. If a manager really believes his hand being underplayed and he can't achieve the targets set without this said player. Then he needs to convince the CEO about it. The responsibility lies with the manager pretty much every where in Football. if you agreed to a contract that doesn't give you power over things you thought are important then you aren't worthy of being in the top top managers list.
Other big parts of CEO success such as making the club a bigger attraction for new supporters, getting new commercial deals to improve success on pitch are mostly overlooked by supporters.

Almost all CEO's who are considered very successful in the job in last 15 years, you will notice belong to clubs who win things a lot. The manager is the most important guy for on pitch success. What this tells me is supporters are rating the manager instead of the CEO really. I don't think the majority of supporters can understand what the details of the role entail and how successful Ian really was. I wish him good luck.

Offline Dave D

• Dozy, Beaky, Mick and Tich
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2016, 08:56:17 pm »
What have 1860 Munich done to deserve such a fate?

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2016, 08:59:12 pm »
Isn't general manager basically like a DOF there?

Offline Reeves

• Back from the dead. Bit simples.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "THE DISTANCE BETWEEN INSANITY AND GENIUS.........
    • RAWK
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2016, 10:27:09 pm »
This is a bizarre move for him. Can only be ££££££££ or that no other club wanted him?
..........IS MEASURED ONLY BY SUCCESS"

RAWK - HJC Champions 2003
Former RAWK Scribe 2002 - 2004

Offline Louis Bimpson

• Boys Pen
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2016, 11:31:25 pm »
Kind of agree, club did miss a few targets during his tenure but assume that was mostly budget driven, or did I miss some bad shit he pulled?

I never understood the hate that majority of supporters feel about their own clubs CEO's. When a club loses out on players, Ian Ayre doesn't decide what offer to make for a player. He is the face of the organization that takes numbers from a mix of football and finance guys and represents that to the selling club. If a manager really believes his hand being underplayed and he can't achieve the targets set without this said player. Then he needs to convince the CEO about it. The responsibility lies with the manager pretty much every where in Football. if you agreed to a contract that doesn't give you power over things you thought are important then you aren't worthy of being in the top top managers list.
Other big parts of CEO success such as making the club a bigger attraction for new supporters, getting new commercial deals to improve success on pitch are mostly overlooked by supporters.

Almost all CEO's who are considered very successful in the job in last 15 years, you will notice belong to clubs who win things a lot. The manager is the most important guy for on pitch success. What this tells me is supporters are rating the manager instead of the CEO really. I don't think the majority of supporters can understand what the details of the role entail and how successful Ian really was. I wish him good luck.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2016, 12:50:14 am »
Seems like a very odd move. Definitely a challenge though. 1860 were almost relegated from 2 Bundesliga last year. They sold their share in the Allianz Arena around a decade ago to stave off bankruptcy and are tenants there until 2025. They pay €1.5m in annual rent and hardly make any money. When their chairman invested in the club, he bought 60% of the club's shares, but didn't take into account the 50+1 rule . So while he believed he was majority owner, he was actual more so their largest investor. Thus, you have a situation, in which the club's main investor cannot do anything without approval, but the club's membership need the investor's money to stay afloat. In the past, he's tried to push certain managerial candidates as recent as last summer (i.e. Pellegrini, McLaren, Eriksson), but the club have rejected it because they believe some of these candidates would not fit the profile of a club that was almost relegated to the third division last season. Additionally, the German FA has strict rules re: financial losses, which also shapes the club hierarchy's ideas. Despite previously been linked with pulling out his investment in 1860 and then possibly investing in Everton, their chairman apparently wants to build a 50,000+ seat stadium in Munich with an adjacent zoo filled with Lions (1860's nickname is the Lions) named after former 1860 players.

I think this is a massive challenge for him. A team that hasn't been in the Bundesliga for twelve years after finishing fourth in the Bundesliga less than four years earlier. Obviously, he'll have to learn German pretty quick, but he has no experience with the German league, or legal system. Despite all the ways people knock him, he does have experience in improving commercial prospects, as well being part of expanding/developing a stadium, which would be right up 1860's street.

Viel Glück Ian.

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2016, 04:23:05 am »
Wonder if he'll show up in Munich in his Scruffs and tell fans they should be careful what they wish for. Out of touch, condescending wanker who constantly treats fans with disdain and like a bunch of idiots. Tried to turn OOTs on the fan groups by saying they want to discriminate against non local fans.

Enjoy the second division Ian, found your level
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 04:25:38 am by Crosby Wych »
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline ThePoolMan

• Not quite the Pool Man, more like the ESL Man
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2016, 04:27:40 am »
Good luck to him. He may not the best-loved figure among supporters, but he played his part in emptying out H&G, massively improved the club's commercial side and oversaw the arrival of Klopp. All of which puts him on the side of the angels.

He was also responsible in part for Benitez's departure, was he not? If so, that offsets most of the good he did do.

Leaving Liverpool on his own accord or he was told nicely that his contract wouldnt be renewed?

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2016, 05:57:38 am »

yeah i'd leave that to klopp, krawitz, buvac, etc.