Author Topic: MATCH PREVIEW: Liverpool v Hull - Saturday September 24, 15:00  (Read 38329 times)

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
Re: MATCH PREVIEW: Liverpool v Hull - Saturday September 24, 15:00
« Reply #80 on: September 21, 2016, 03:24:56 pm »
Mig played with his gob all smashed in so I don't think he's as wussy as people think. Just a bit indecisive, but I'm tired of Mig bashing, Klopp said essentially we want two #1 keepers

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #81 on: September 21, 2016, 03:28:05 pm »
Why play Sturridge over other two though?  Out of the three, Sturridge has been the least productive. 

I do agree that it's great that we don't have to rely on one player and the fact that there is even a debate about which player to leave off just goes to show how much of a better position we are in then just a year ago.

Simply because there's a slight difference in how we set up when we play Sturridge in the no.9 and when we play Firmino there. Sturridge will run defenders all over the place send create space for people like Firmino and Coutinho and Mane to exploit. Firmino will link up with other players incredibly well without that same threat in behind.

It's just my gut feeling really. None deserve to get dropped. One will have to be.

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: September 21, 2016, 03:41:51 pm »
Simply because there's a slight difference in how we set up when we play Sturridge in the no.9 and when we play Firmino there. Sturridge will run defenders all over the place send create space for people like Firmino and Coutinho and Mane to exploit. Firmino will link up with other players incredibly well without that same threat in behind.

It's just my gut feeling really. None deserve to get dropped. One will have to be.

I think you are discounting the movement that Firmino brings as a #9.  While Sturridge definitely did a great job with his movement in the Leicester match I still think that Firmino brings a little more to the table right now and I think he will start.  Also have to factor in Sturridge not training (if true) the past couple of days and Klopp's insistence on players being 100% fit to play. 

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #83 on: September 21, 2016, 03:46:06 pm »
I think you are discounting the movement that Firmino brings as a #9.  While Sturridge definitely did a great job with his movement in the Leicester match I still think that Firmino brings a little more to the table right now and I think he will start.  Also have to factor in Sturridge not training (if true) the past couple of days and Klopp's insistence on players being 100% fit to play. 

Firmino's movements are often to drop deep between the lines whereas Sturridge's (and Origi's) movements are down the channels and more direct. They pull defenders out of position and create space for others to exploit. Our first two goals against Leicester don't happen with Firmino up front as he's not looking to get in behind like Sturridge is.

I'm pretty sure Sturridge is on a tailored fitness programme which is why he didn't train the other day, Klopp said he wasn't injured.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline Mr Mingebag Squid

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #84 on: September 21, 2016, 03:52:08 pm »
I'd be tempted to go Sturridge up top, Mane, Coutinho and Firmino behind, with Lallana and Henderson behind them. Wijnaldum the unfortunate one to miss out - but he can be brought on later for fresher legs.

That way you utilise Sturridge movement up top, you get the creativity and cunning of the boys from Brazil and you get the pace of Mane.

Henderson and Lallana to chase everything that moves down. Could work on paper, but whether it'd work in practice is another thing.
My Sporting Dream Team:-
LFC - Worcester Warriors - Warrington Wolves - New England Patriots - Jenson Button
My Twatter : @MrHappySquid

Offline Cracking Left Foot

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: September 21, 2016, 03:54:17 pm »
Some good Smiths references there for us mid-80s indie kids.

Just hope we score loads. I know, there's more to life than goals, you know. But not much more.

Offline RogerTheRed

• Danke Juergen
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's a golden sky on the way
« Reply #86 on: September 21, 2016, 03:58:46 pm »
Come on Redmen!!
If we can brush these away in the first 60 minutes I think we will all start to believe. Hope to see Sturridge back along Mane and Firmino with Coutinho, Lallana and Hendo as second three.
Suspect Dan will start on the bench though.
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!

Offline Halibut-Thumb

• I apologise for my shit user name and piss-poor spelling. You know, my friends and family tell me they are surprised I couldn't think of anything better. Ah well, such is life.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
  • Lesbian ham?
« Reply #87 on: September 21, 2016, 04:00:31 pm »
Watched them play Arsenal.. They were rubbish defensively, Arsenal were nowhere near their best and tore the apart with ease and wasted loads of chances. The key for us is to get the early goal and get on the front foot. We are getting the fear factor back and this is at Anfield, Sturridge needs to start for me.
In Soviet Russia, fish fingers you.

Offline LFCEmpire

• Legacy Fan
  • Icelandic Kopite
« Reply #88 on: September 21, 2016, 04:09:15 pm »
Always get nervous when we are bang on form! dont want it to stop. Win please  :wave

Offline mascherano20

• Main Stander
« Reply #89 on: September 21, 2016, 04:10:42 pm »
Personally would have the same team that played against Chelsea with Origi coming in for Sturridge and Karius for Mignolet as much for improving their consistency as anything else. We can't afford to take any game lightly as Klopp showed with his selection last night, but feel Origi needs to get back to 2nd half of last season levels quickly to have more impact in bigger games, whether as a starter or off the bench.

3-0 Redmen, yes I said it, an actual clean sheet in the league!

Online JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #90 on: September 21, 2016, 04:11:57 pm »

It's definitely not difficult to make the case that's Sturridge is a better 9 against a low block than Firmino

Wouldn't be surprised if all 4 started. We're going to have the ball a lot in this game .... a lot

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: September 21, 2016, 04:18:47 pm »
It's definitely not difficult to make the case that's Sturridge is a better 9 against a low block than Firmino

Wouldn't be surprised if all 4 started. We're going to have the ball a lot in this game .... a lot

Yeah, I toyed with idea of all 4, but I don't see who misses out from midfield?

Henderson - belter of a game and goal against Chelsea and the captain.
Lallana - Has basically been first name on the sheet for Klopp since he took over, also had a brilliant start to the season.
Wijnaldum - is the biggest possibility, but I dont see Hendo/Lallana as a midfield 2. Suppose you could swap Coutinho in here, but Klopp shown no indication that he wants Phil in MF. Also - regardless of those points - Wijnaldum had his best game for us against Chelsea and was quite prolific at home for Newcastle. Late runs into the box could also prove a useful weapon against the low block.

As much as I'd love to get Sturridge/Mane/Coutinho/Firmino on the pitch from the start, I don't see it happening any time soon..

Offline Digger2God

• Legacy Fan
  • Believe IT!
« Reply #92 on: September 21, 2016, 04:26:26 pm »
Yeah, I toyed with idea of all 4, but I don't see who misses out from midfield?

Henderson - belter of a game and goal against Chelsea and the captain.
Lallana - Has basically been first name on the sheet for Klopp since he took over, also had a brilliant start to the season.
Wijnaldum - is the biggest possibility, but I dont see Hendo/Lallana as a midfield 2. Suppose you could swap Coutinho in here, but Klopp shown no indication that he wants Phil in MF. Also - regardless of those points - Wijnaldum had his best game for us against Chelsea and was quite prolific at home for Newcastle. Late runs into the box could also prove a useful weapon against the low block.

As much as I'd love to get Sturridge/Mane/Coutinho/Firmino on the pitch from the start, I don't see it happening any time soon..

The conundrum is that if you want to have a 3 and a 1 (Sturridge infront of Bobby, Coutinho and Mane), you need to have a solid 2 in the middle which has to be two out of Hendo, Can and Wijnaldum -- no Lallana. I do not see Lallana not starting.

Most likely is a 4 -3-3 with Coutinho in place of Wij -- that is a gamble I am willing to make at home against Hull.
"How many do you want?! How MANY do you want?"

Offline Chalky Boots

• Legacy Fan
  • Neurotic Fan Fiction
« Reply #93 on: September 21, 2016, 04:32:57 pm »
Honestly don't think it's a particularly difficult decision. If it's going to be a game against them playing a low block and if Dan is fit then I can only see him coming in for Coutinho who can get targeted in those games if he starts to frustrate and ends up holding on to the ball too long.

Plus the movement of that attacking trio is awesome and lets us play quicker in the final third.

edit:

You could drop him back but Klopp's midfield 3 isn't ≈ Brendan's 3/4. If you think about the periods where Leicester and Chelsea were suffocated by the press it was quite often down to the physical nature with high balls and then following up on the second balls after. Having Phil there means we lose that in midfield. He is a good trump card later on if we want to kill the game though.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 05:41:33 pm by Chalky Boots »

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #94 on: September 21, 2016, 04:41:31 pm »
In possession we've basically been playing with a single deep midfielder in a 4-1-4-1 formation:

Sturridge

Firmino Lallana Wijnaldum Mane

Henderson

Against teams who aren't looking to attack I think Coutinho could come into one of those two attacking midfield positions.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline bodhisattva

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: September 21, 2016, 06:02:22 pm »
I seriously hope we stop with Firmino as a false 9. We lack penetration especially against teams who will be looking to drop deep and narrow like Burnley did and Hull probably will.

We've scored 14-goals in four games with either Sturridge or Origi up front and generally look more potent.

It's going to be interesting to see the difference Mane makes in this regard, against Burnley we had no one that was prepared to attack their marker
and force them to make difficult decisions inside the penalty area, Mane will do this and it is something Sturridge also usually does well.

If teams are going to defend deep we have to be more bold in those 1v1 situations try and create panic in the opposition box and when that happens
you're usually going to get chances when you have lots of bodies going forward (which we will). Suarez was the master of it, he'd play 1-2's off the oppositon
kick into them and feed off the chaos that ensued, we need to do more of this against this type of team.

The beauty of the current team is if you double mark Mane, or Firmino or whoever we have 3 or 4 other forward thinking players that can take advantage of
the extra space and you can't do that with them all.

Offline bodhisattva

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: September 21, 2016, 06:04:24 pm »
I think Lallana and Gini where there. Not sure if Studge was.

I agree with you by the way, I was just pointing out why some may understandibly think it!

I fully expect him to be in the squad for Saturday.

I also read a comment after the Chelsea game that Sturridge was taken off cos he couldn't sprint anymore. Now that might be cos he ran himself
into the ground for 55min or because there was a problem?

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #97 on: September 21, 2016, 06:09:27 pm »
I also read a comment after the Chelsea game that Sturridge was taken off cos he couldn't sprint anymore. Now that might be cos he ran himself
into the ground for 55min or because there was a problem?

yeah I think thats what Kloppo said that he couldn't sprint anymore. But he did say after the game he wasn't injured as far as he was aware too!

I think it's just a fitness thing. He is ultra careful right now with players having had different pre-seasons, and not up to 100% fitness, and Sturridge didn't have a full pre-season did he, with England duty followed by a little injury issue.  And as he showed with Bobby last week, he isn't taking risks this early in a season.

Offline TheFlyingScouseman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nice day
« Reply #98 on: September 21, 2016, 06:42:28 pm »
Their shite, we're boss, let's win, 3 points.

Offline jboy14

• Kopite
« Reply #99 on: September 21, 2016, 06:59:20 pm »
I've got zero worries about this game, we will batter them. 5-0 to the mighty Reds.
Of all the unimportant things in life, football is the most important.

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #100 on: September 21, 2016, 07:02:01 pm »
To be taken seriously as top 4 contenders we have to win these type of games...cos that's what top 4 teams do!
If we drop points that inconsistency tag will rear its ugly head again.

Inconsistent teams very rarely win anything, we've deffo got to get over that label.

Early goal and we should run out 3-0 winners, we should have far too much fire power for these to handle
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 07:33:14 pm by mikeb58 »
Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Online JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #101 on: September 21, 2016, 07:11:57 pm »
To be taken seriously as top 4 contenders we have to win these type of games...cos that's what top 4 teams do!
If we drop points that inconsistency tag will rear its ugly head again.

Inconsistent teams very rarely win anything, we've deffo to get over that label.

Early goal and we should run out 3-0 winners, we should have far too much fire power for these to handle

A quote that's stuck with me for life - not just football - from Gerrard Houllier
 "if you're inconsistent it just means you're not good enough"

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: September 21, 2016, 07:54:55 pm »
Taken off early vs Chelsea.
Didn't train two days later.
Not in the squad for last nights game despite been taken off early vs Chelsea.

Not saying I believe there is an issue, but I'm just guessing that's what's making some people wonder!
Thanks. Not being on bench yesterday is of no concern.

Offline Doc Red

• Chills before posting and wishes others had too
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The eye cannot see what the mind does not know.
« Reply #103 on: September 21, 2016, 08:34:37 pm »
Wonderful OP!
Thanks for that! :wave
The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel its warmth.
There go my people. I must follow them, for I am their leader.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: September 21, 2016, 08:42:23 pm »
They'll have to be the luckiest team in the history of universe to come away with anything more then shards of their broken pride.

Offline Tony19:6

• Begets John 3:16
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born and Bred
« Reply #105 on: September 21, 2016, 08:49:43 pm »
I dont subscribe go the fragile reds mantra anymore. For me this season is different.

Klopps been here a good while now and you can clearly see the methods he wants to instill are coming together. Not perfect but getting there.

Not too bothered about this net spend mullarky (but back to that in a minute) as you can clearly see why he brought in the players he did.

Injuries permitting Klopp has a free(ish) run at continuing to coach his side throught the season and improving even more.

Hell because of the +ve net spend he's in a position to spend in January should it be deemed necessary to go again.

Fuck it lets just trash the bench warming balloon bursting manc bellend's team  :scarf

A Great man once said...
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass.
It is terribly simple."

http://twitter.com/Tony19_6

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #106 on: September 21, 2016, 08:59:16 pm »
Agree. Goal difference could come into it as well. For the number of goals we have scored ours should be better. These are the sort of games that if you play well and break them down then we should be maximising chances to increase the goal difference. It may seem like a minor detail now but it could be vital

Agreed.....at the end of the season it will be worth an extra point
#JFT97

Offline 88_RED

• Not a real bookie though.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: September 21, 2016, 10:02:00 pm »
We have played the most vibrant brand of football in the premier league so far this season..
Only city come close to us in terms of attacking and intricate play in the opposition third..

We look like scoring consistently at the moment and are the highest scorers in the calendar year..
Our forward line is confident and there's fierce competition for places..

We have depth.. we have quality.. we have Klopp..

Let's twat these fucking twats from Hull..

F*CK 0FF Mourinho..

Offline RayPhilAlan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: September 21, 2016, 10:14:13 pm »
The term "just win" springs to mind.

Think we'll have a lot of possession which is why Mane will be such a crucial addition for us.

Jurgen will have the headache of trying to pick three out of Phil, Bob, Studge and Mane, but like many said in the lead-up to the Chelsea match - it's a nice headache to have.

Must be tired - read that as Phil Babb for a moment!

Offline mrantarctica

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: September 21, 2016, 11:03:50 pm »
This will be a real test of our goal scoring abilities. They are a difficult side to break down at the best of times. They beat leicester and swansea, and came within minutes of getting a point of Man U, and with 10 men were 2-1 to arsenal but for the last 5 mins or so. Will be intriguing to see who Clop goes with for our front 3.

Offline ash2001

• Klop up front, Chan in goal & Milner in defence.
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #110 on: September 21, 2016, 11:04:54 pm »
I agree.

The thing is the run of five games we just played are our hardest games on paper but we last season we took 11-points from them and this season we got 10-points.

The five games we have coming up we took two points from last season (substituting Hull for Norwich - both come up through the play-offs) so it's these 'easier' game son paper we've struggled in.

That's why we've got to start this with a high tempo and not give them a chance to get comfortably like Burnley did. We need pace and movement up front to pull them around which is why I hope Sturridge or Origi start.
I agree

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm in love with here and I feel fine
« Reply #111 on: September 21, 2016, 11:18:40 pm »
Excellent OP, thanks. Although I'm not sure the residents of Dublin will thank you for labeling it a provincial town...

On today's evidence, Can isn't ready to start on the weekend. Hopefully he'll make the bench and get a bit more playing time.
Migs will stay as first choice between the sticks for the meantime and Milner will be back, left back. 

As to who starts up front, Klopp only knows. Great to have such a strong squad, mostly injury free.

Actually read up on the lyrics whilst writing this down, and spent a fair amount of time at work today reading about Grasmere and the nuclear fallaout. I was ignorant enough to not even know that it was a town, let alone a reference to Sellafield and the Windscale fire.

“Panic” came about at the time of Chernobyl. Morrissey and myself were listening to a Newsbeat radio report about it. The story about this shocking disaster comes to an end and then, immediately, we’re off into Wham!’s “I’m Your Man”. I remember actually saying what the fuck has this got to do with peoples' lives? We hear about Chernobyl, then, seconds later, we’re expected to be jumping around to “I’m Your Man”
- Johnny Marr, NME, 1987
What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm in love with here and I feel fine
« Reply #112 on: September 21, 2016, 11:23:56 pm »
Some good Smiths references there for us mid-80s indie kids.

Just hope we score loads. I know, there's more to life than goals, you know. But not much more.

You handsome devil!
What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Offline ash2001

• Klop up front, Chan in goal & Milner in defence.
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #113 on: September 21, 2016, 11:24:04 pm »
The key to beat team that sit deep is Matip, there will a lot of space to move to and will be difficult to mark. He is the type of defender that I wanted at LFC for ages,

Offline Garnier

• Legacy Fan
  • thought Brendan could tame Balotelli
« Reply #114 on: September 21, 2016, 11:45:05 pm »
F*ck off Curtis Davies

for no reason in particular
The change is cast

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #115 on: September 21, 2016, 11:51:25 pm »
An early goal is key for us here, just like it was against Leicester. An early goal will force Hull to change their gameplan and attack us more (even subconsciously) and the space should open up for us to get three or four.

Should Hull get to the half hour mark without conceding then their confidence will rise, we might get frustrated and start getting desperate. I fancy us to get the job done though.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: September 22, 2016, 01:11:06 am »
We need to score early. The longer it goes without us scoring, the harder it will become for us to break them down. Just win, any way, any how, just win. Deflected goals, own goals, from the spot, it doesn't matter, if we can win with half a goal, I would take it.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: September 22, 2016, 03:04:51 am »
You can say the exact same for Sturridge, Firmino and Mane though.

No, I don't think you can. Firmino and Mane have a case, but I don't think the same applies to Sturridge. Ultimately, Coutinho has pulled out more games out of the fire for us in recent seasons than any other player in the squad by a long distance. That alone should see him in the line up. 
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline KopThat

• "See Tom turn red, See Tom run, Oh happy days."
  • Legacy Fan
  • He who laughs last, didn't quite get the joke...
    • GameFaceMe
« Reply #118 on: September 22, 2016, 03:37:48 am »
It's nice to have a selection dilemma with all of our attacking players a goal threat.

Firmino   Sturridge and Mane as a front three - it's hard to leave Coutinho out though
with Wijnaldum  Henderson and Lallana in the midfield - not sure Can is back to full fitness yet.
The back four picks itself Clyne, Matip, Lovren and I think Milner should start at left back
Migs should keep his spot

Offline Number 7

• Gegenpresser
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • And the sweet silver song of a lark..
« Reply #119 on: September 22, 2016, 03:41:22 am »
Great OP. Thanks Telekon.

Difficult game, and it always makes you weary because it's games like this we should be winning. I mean don't get me wrong we should try and win every game, but this is the type of game we're expected to win. It won't be easy of course, as they'll turn up with their game plan to frustrate us.

For me, I'll say again, like I've been doing for a few PL games, Sturridge has to start. We've essentially got the same dilemma we had last week against Chelsea, but a minor injury to Firmino meant that it ended up being an easy decision. Coutinho and Firmino were dynamite together against Derby and I just don't know how you can't play them again here. But I also know it's Hull, they're going to dig in, and they're going to have 2 banks of 4. We're at Anfield and with a bit more space we'll get here you just have to go with Sturridge.

I totally agree with Funky, that we need pace and movement up top to move them around. An early goal would essentially open up the game and I could see us go on to win 2-0/3-0.
YWNA