Author Topic: KENNY DALGLISH: A KING AMONG MEN  (Read 7571 times)

Online ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
KENNY DALGLISH: A KING AMONG MEN
« on: September 22, 2015, 04:02:56 pm »
I don't know if this "deserves" it's own thread or not but with how most of us are feeling down right about now, thought it'd be nice to see something we all agree on :)

KENNY DALGLISH WASN’T THE MOST SKILLED PLAYER, nor was he blessed with blinding pace or immense strength, but scenes of a stealthy and intelligent Scot with straw-like hair and ice-blue eyes cutting defences apart, scoring goals seemingly at will, and lifting trophy after trophy paint the picture of one of football’s true greats.

For most players, football is a puzzle solvable when they can stop, think, and then execute – quite a rigid process. On the pitch, knowing when to move and when to stay put takes practice. Knowing where to move is a skill honed over time. Defining players in the mould of Johan Cruyff, George Best, Zinedine Zidane and, of course, Kenny Dalglish are proof football rewards brains over brawn, for these players also know the why to football’s in-game quandaries. For players of this ilk, expectation of success supersedes the hope of it. “What he [Dalglish] had was speed of thought. That will always overcome speed of movement,” said Celtic assistant manager, Sean Fallon.

Kenny Mathieson Dalglish was born on March 4, 1951, in Glasgow’s docklands of Govan. In a 22-year footballing career he played for Celtic and Liverpool, two clubs from cities fiercely defined by their football triumphs, the competitions they dominated, and the nationalism resulting from footballing success and tragedy. These clubs, whose rich footballing history catapulted and associated their images with a brand of football before the true globalization of the sport in an age when news travelled over the airwaves, was transmitted through a fuzzy television reception, or wet the thin parchment of city periodicals – everyone who knew football, knew Celtic and Liverpool.

Few strikers match the wit and balance of Kenny Dalglish. His positional awareness to drop off his markers and collect the ball deep in midfield made Dalglish as much a threat as a provider as he was a lethal finisher with either foot. Dalglish blessed football with a once-in-a-generation kind of intellect. His technical ability unlocked defences with ease and his unrivalled sense of anticipation made the football Dalglish played otherworldly. With passing ability equalled only by his finishing ability made famous by a trademark beautifully struck shot curling into the top corner of the goal. Both skill sets, however, are nothing compared to the selflessness and ‘team-first’ philosophy that governed Kenny Dalglish as a player and manager.

Dalglish began his budding professional career with Celtic in 1967 – the year they club became the Britain’s first European champions. Legendary Celtic manager Jock Stein sent his assistant, Sean Fallon, to watch Dalglish. Describing the player, the late Fallon said: “Tremendous ability, skill, great touch on the ball and his reading of situations was 100 per cent. He was a boy, but once you actually looked at him, you’d sign him straight away.” The young Scot’s stock in Glasgow’s football scene continued to rise as Rangers were rumoured to be interested in signing him, yet the interest was only that – no formal call ever arrived for Dalglish to join the Ibrox club.

Despite Dalglish’s talent and potential, he needed a taste of the hard side of Scottish football. Stein sent him to Cumbernauld United to give Dalglish a taste of first team football and to toughen him up. “He’d been down in England to two or three clubs – he actually spent a month at Liverpool and he came back home. We fixed him up then and placed him out to Cumbernauld where he was playing among men there.” After a return of 37 goals for Cumbernauld, Dalglish found himself back at Celtic Park, ready to continue his footballing education under the tutelage of Stein and skipper Billy McNeill. Before long, Dalglish was part of a supremely-talented young class of Celtic reserve players pushing their way into the first team for a club on a run of nine straight leg titles.

During the 1971–72 season, Dalglish established himself in the first team and went on to score 23 league and cup goals in 49 appearances. The following year, Dalglish was Celtic’s top scorer, netting 41 goals in total. Over the next three years, Dalglish played the function of prolific goalscorer, talismanic maestro, and captained the side in 1975. However, a new challenge came calling – one that could not be ignored. In August 1977, after making 320 appearances and scoring 167 goals for Celtic, Kenny Dalglish signed for Liverpool for a then-record British transfer fee. During his time at Celtic, Dalglish won four Scottish First Division titles, four Scottish Cups and one Scottish League Cup.

Dalglish’s arrival at Liverpool coincided with Kevin Keegan’s departure to Hamburg and he donned the number 7 shirt recently vacated by the Englishman. Dalglish scored on his Anfield debut against Newcastle and ironically scored Liverpool’s sixth and final goal against Keegan’s Hamburg in the second leg of the 1977 UEFA Super Cup final. Any questions about the Scot being able to “replace Keegan were quickly assuaged during year one of his journey at Liverpool; making 61 appearances and scoring 31 goals – including the game-winning goal in the 1978 European Cup final. More importantly, Dalglish found himself at a club hungry to not only compete – but hell-bent on dominating British and European football.

The following year the Scot scored 21 league goals for Liverpool and established himself as an ironman for the club playing every league game for Liverpool well into 1980–81 campaign. That year, Liverpool finished fifth in the league, yet still won the European Cup and League Cup. During the 1982 season, Dalglish regained his goalscoring form, finding the back of the net 13 times in the league as Liverpool won the title for the third time since the Scot arrived on Merseyside. Over the years, partnerships with club legends like Ian Rush, Graeme Souness, Peter Beardsley, Ray Houghton, John Barnes and John Aldridge displayed the versatility of Dalglish as a teammate and solidified his impact as a leader, playmaker and goalscorer.

His time at Liverpool remains among the club’s most successful stretches. With Kenny Dalglish deployed as the club’s number 7, Liverpool continued its ascension and domination of British and European club football, winning six league titles, two FA Cups, four League Cups, seven Charity Shields, three European Cups and one UEFA Super Cup. Liverpool Football Club was on a different level and the supporters dubbed Dalglish their leader – and with that role came the deserved title: King Kenny, whom to this day is widely-regarded as the best player to ever wear the club’s famous red shirt.

Dalglish’s illuminating tale extends well beyond his club accomplishments. He is a national symbol for Scotland and Scottish football. With 102 appearances for his country, it makes him Scotland’s most-capped player, and with 30 goals to his name he shares top spot with the great Denis Law. Dalglish still lacked the worldwide acclaim of other international footballers at the time – perhaps because he played for an often-unfancied Scotland team. The sad irony is that despite their perceived lack of quality, Scotland boasted some of Britain’s best players at the time.

Beyond his playing capacity, Dalglish’s used his genius from the sideline when he became player-manager of Liverpool and eventual manager of Blackburn Rovers, Newcastle, Celtic and Liverpool again, winning more cups and titles along the way.

As impressive as his football CV is, it’s impossible to measure the quality of a man who narrowly escaped the Ibrox stadium disaster as a boy, watched in horror as a player during the Heysel tragedy, and, as a manager, attended all 96 funerals for the victims of Hillsborough. The impact of Kenny Dalglish transcends football. He helped galvanized two cities whose images are demarcated by not only their football, but the cultural impact that the sport brought to the region.

As a national symbol, a sporting ambassador and as an inspiration for generations, Kenny Dalglish may very well be the greatest British footballer – but that’s the stuff of opinion. What is not up for dispute is his place among legends, heroes and icons – all of which are notable titles reserved for the most-talented and loyal players and coaches. However, one moniker surpasses all aforementioned labels beyond mere semantics: King.

So here’s to you, King Kenny. Thanks for the memories.

http://thesefootballtimes.co/2015/09/20/kenny-dalglish-a-king-among-men/
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline cowtownred

• We're only making plans for Nigel, We only want what's best for him, We're only making plans for Nigel, Nigel just needs a helping hand
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: KENNY DALGLISH: A KING AMONG MEN
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2015, 04:25:56 pm »
 :wellin

Truly the King among men.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2015, 04:28:48 pm »
Kenneth Dalglish retweeted
M Dalglish Appeal ‏@MDALGLISHAPPEAL 54m54 minutes ago

AMAZING news: @kennethdalglish to auction his winning 84 #EuropeanCup Medal this week to help cancer patients on Merseyside. Thank you! X

Offline Aggers-Elbow

• Kopite
  • The reds are coming up the hill boys
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2015, 04:31:56 pm »
Boss. I'd walk a million miles...
They all laugh at us, They all mock at us, They all say our days our numbered.

@Danny_Timmis89

Online exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2015, 04:39:05 pm »
Pure class. Hopefully the Club / Museum buy it for a silly amount.
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2015, 06:00:46 pm »
Or someone buys it for a silly amount and donates it to the club.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2015, 06:07:12 pm »
Or someone buys it for a silly amount and donates it to the club.

Or gives it back to him...

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2015, 06:08:48 pm »
Whoever buy's that 84 European Cup winners medal should donate it back to the LFC museum.  I know Kenny is doing it for a good cause but no one not associated with a memorabilia like that  in any way should have it in their possession.

Offline Banquo's Ghost

• Macbeth's on repeat. To boldly split infinitives that lesser men would dare. To.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2015, 06:09:24 pm »
Wonderful, wonderful man. The King.
Be humble, for you are made of earth. Be noble, for you are made of stars.

Offline Les Willis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2015, 06:46:50 pm »
I think it was the 78 European Cup final goal against Bruges that turned me into a Liverpool fan. That turn against Spurs in the 7-0 win in 1978 was the icing on the cake.

Offline jason67

• He likes the 15cm morning glory boy!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2015, 06:14:37 am »
:wellin

Truly the King among men.
Great stuff from Kenny.
At last the TRUTH 26th April 2016

Still don't buy the s*n.

Offline LFC UNTIL THE MANAGER IS NO LONGER DESERVING OF MY SYMPATHY

• Everyone's shit. Especially me...Yeah! LFC for Life. He takes everything up to date and on the chin.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2015, 12:24:12 pm »
Should be knighted.

@LFC4LIFENET

Online kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2015, 12:25:46 pm »
Kenneth Dalglish retweeted
M Dalglish Appeal ‏@MDALGLISHAPPEAL 54m54 minutes ago

AMAZING news: @kennethdalglish to auction his winning 84 #EuropeanCup Medal this week to help cancer patients on Merseyside. Thank you! X
Wow I'd love that.
Classy gesture from Kenny as always.

Offline bigbonedrawky

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2015, 06:21:52 pm »
Cheers for posting that ScouserAtHeart

Club needs to be buying his 84 medal for the museum. No excuses...

Offline TheMissionary

• PositionIsSoooooooOrdinary!
  • Legacy Fan
  • That's nice, that's McDermott, and that's a goal!!
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2015, 07:38:29 pm »
Should be knighted.

You can't knight a King
TheMissionary
YNWA

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #15 on: August 3, 2016, 12:50:02 pm »
Portrait of an icon: Kenny Dalglish

At first, Liverpool supporters simply refused to accept the news. Fans gathered outside Anfield as a show of strength, but also disbelief. Local radio stations and newspapers were overwhelmed by phone calls from those struggling to contemplate the new reality. Nothing changed the reality: King Kenny had abdicated his throne.

The shock that followed Kenny Dalglish’s resignation as Liverpool manager in February 1991 was shared not just among supporters, but players too. “I had no idea whatsoever about what was to come and neither did anyone else, not even those who knew Kenny best,” recalls Ray Houghton. “Ask Alan Hansen, he was his closest friend and he didn’t have a clue.”

That Dalglish had kept his departure so quiet was a testament to his intense privacy, but also a reflection of his love for Liverpool Football Club. It soon became clear that, deep beneath the public facade of normality, demons had eaten away at Dalglish’s wellbeing and sapped his energy.

To understand Dalglish’s reputation in Liverpool and that eventual departure, one has to appreciate the impact of the worst stadium disaster in the history of English sport upon him. As tragic as it is inescapable, a large part of Dalglish revolves around Hillsborough.

As April 15, 1989 approached, Dalglish was just a football manager, albeit a very good one. Taking over after Joe Fagan’s resignation following the Heysel disaster of 1985, he had become the most adept player-manager in the history of the game. Liverpool had won two titles in three years and the FA Cup in 1986, completing the club’s first double. The League Championship was achieved with 1–0 victory over Chelsea at Stamford Bridge on the final day of the season; Dalglish scored the winner. Without the ban on English clubs in Europe after Heysel, we could be discussing one of the most successful British managers of all time. We are still discussing one of the most successful British players.

Before Hillsborough, Dalglish was a certified hero to Liverpool fans, but in the aftermath of that horrifying tragedy he became the city’s champion and everyman. As Liverpool’s manager, the Scot understood his role in bringing the club into the arms of its public to mourn together, but his inbuilt decency led him to extend that role far beyond the call of duty. Dalglish wrote in his autobiography how he ‘pushed himself to the limit’; that’s an emphatic understatement. It’s worth repeating: Dalglish was just a football manager.

‘Most of the church services ended with “You’ll never walk alone”,’ he wrote in his autobiography. ‘I couldn’t sing through any of the songs or hymns. I was too choked up. The words could never come out. I just stood there in a daze, still trying to come to terms with what had befallen the club and the people I had so admired.’

Imagine that for just a moment. Having been your club’s greatest player, you agree to take over as manager following a terrible stadium disaster. Four years later, disaster is not only repeated but eclipsed, throwing your city and life into a semi-permanent haze of grief.

In that situation, most of us would take one of two options. We’d either continue our job, proclaiming that the club must act as the emblem of a city determined to recover, stay strong through adversity. Or we’d fall back into the shadows, offer our condolences respectfully but be unable to continue in the role of manager. Nobody would offer blame in that scenario, tragedy breaks even the strongest person and personality. There is no possible censure attached to an inability to find a coping mechanism; sometimes they just don’t exist.

Admirably, Dalglish attempted a combination of both. “I thought to myself ‘Why should I feel any pressure’. The people under pressure were those who had lost their loved ones. In truth, I had wanted to leave Anfield in 1990, a year before I eventually resigned. In the 22 months between Hillsborough and my resignation, the strain kept growing until I finally snapped.”

Dalglish personally attended many of the 96 funerals – including four in one day – but took responsibility for ensuring a Liverpool presence at every one. He kept letters of gratitude from families under his bed for years. Most importantly, he carried the city’s grief on his own shoulders. Sporting success could provide distraction, but never an escape. No manager in history has done more to bring a football club and its community closer together.

“He only told my mum the night before he was quitting,” daughter Kelly later recalled. “He just couldn’t go on doing the job. All the emotion and stress of Hillsborough, all the weight of responsibility he felt, had taken its toll.”

Yet the most revealing assessment comes from Dalglish himself: “I decided that I had to get out. The alternative was going mad. Liverpool needed somebody who was going to be authoritative, somebody who could make a decision. I couldn’t do that anymore.” Even now, the predominant thought was what Liverpool needed rather than what Kenny Dalglish needed.

In fact, Dalglish had become ill through stress, blotches appearing on his body and his mind desperately in need of counselling. The best manager in the country had not been mastered by the opposition, but broken by the rigours of life. In truth, it was a miracle he’d lasted that long.

If Dalglish’s conduct post-Hillsborough made him a true son of Liverpool, the King Kenny moniker was already well-established. Arriving from Anfield in August 1977 from Celtic for a British transfer record fee, Dalglish had already scored 167 goals in 322 games in Glasgow, won nine domestic trophies and been named Celtic’s captain. His reputation at Parkhead may be tarnished by that exit, but his standing in Scotland as a whole remains higher than any other player. Dalglish is still Scotland’s highest-capped player and joint-highest goalscorer.

Signed to replace the Hamburg-bound Kevin Keegan, there were initial doubts about Dalglish’s effectiveness for the role. Thirteen years, 179 goals, six league titles, three European Cups, 13 other trophies and a Member of the Order of the British Empire later, those doubts were firmly extinguished. Not only did Dalglish end his playing career as Liverpool’s greatest player (sorry, Steven Gerrard), but as the most decorated player in British domestic football.

The first thing to say about Dalglish as a player was just how ‘normal’ he looked. There was no imposing size, intimidating physique or searing pace; the magic lay beneath the tousled brown hair. Dalglish’s secret weapon was a speed of thought that blended with a technical ability to create arguably the greatest post-war British forward. Dalglish’s finishing ability with either foot matched any other forward of his generation, while his hold-up play allowed him to forge successful partnerships with an array of strikers and midfielders: Ian Rush, David Fairclough, Terry McDermott, Graeme Souness, Ray Kennedy.

The best way to describe Dalglish’s footballing intelligence is through an anecdote relayed by David Preece from a day when the then-unemployed manager assisted at a Darlington training session. Preece, a goalkeeper, described how Dalglish would receive the ball to feet and continuously turn away from the (far younger) oncoming defender without looking to see where his opponent was.

“He pointed at the sun,” Preece says. “Still, we couldn’t work it out. ‘If it’s a sunny day, like today, I can use the defender’s shadow to see which side he’s going to attack me from and stick my arse out to protect the ball and roll away on the other side.’ At the time, this blew my mind, showing how intricate his thinking must have been in moments of great pressure.”

Liverpool’s greats agreed. “Keegan was quicker,” Bob Paisley once said. “But Kenny runs the first five yards in his head. He had this rare quality of being able to know where the other players were without looking, and finding them with the perfect pass.”

“Kenny is almost impossible to mark,” was Liverpool captain and defender Emlyn Hughes’ take. “His thinking during a game is both incisive and decisive.”

Given Dalglish’s iconic status in Liverpool, it is considered a shame by many that he returned to the club in 2011. Time can be a healer, but it can also act as a blanket, muffling the memories of glorious times past. Too often in modern sport you are only as good as your last game and, to a generation of supporters, Dalglish will only be the Liverpool manager between Roy Hodgson and Brendan Rodgers. His public backing of Luis Suarez during the race row with Patrice Evra was misjudged and brought an equally public apology.

Yet the return of Anfield’s ‘King’ was actually soaked in its own pathos, two decades spent believing he still owed Liverpool for leaving them in February 1991 when nothing could be further from the truth. Dalglish had tried to resign at Blackburn Rovers before winning the Premier League title and struggled at Newcastle United too. Only Anfield ever truly felt like home; only Anfield ever will do.

Dalglish has always been a proud Scot, but Merseyside will remain closest to his heart. In a city that has always considered itself separate from the rest of England, the boy from Glasgow’s East End became Liverpool’s poster boy. His successful tenure as manager only added to that reputation, but it was Dalglish’s emotional maturity in the face of terror that most sculpted his stature. Despite having no warning of – or expertise for – the situation, Dalglish did more than most to rebuild a broken club. He only stopped when he’d broken himself.

That distinct melancholia associated with Dalglish is a real shame, and I hope it changes. To picture him as a player is to think of a smiling, happy striker, taking delight in outfoxing defenders and scoring goal after goal after goal. To remember him as a manager is to think of furrowed brow and tense stare. If the eyes were haunted, they had seen plenty of ghosts. After everything, this is a man who simply loves every aspect of football, who is captivated by the minutiae of the game.

Hillsborough hangs over Liverpool like a fog and always will, despite the overdue justice the campaigners are finally closer to achieving. Yet there is a hope that we can finally see Dalglish in a happier context: Liverpool’s greatest player, perhaps even Britain’s greatest striker. Dalglish’s service to the city of Liverpool merits a lasting legacy. King Kenny deserves to sit proudly on that throne.

Daniel Storey

http://www.football365.com/news/portrait-of-an-icon-kenny-dalglish#fb-comments
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline RedorRed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
Sir Kenneth Mathieson Dalglish
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2016, 08:23:46 pm »
When is this man going to be recognised properly for what he and Marina have done for football, cancer charity and most importantly for the families of the 96 and the city of Liverpool!!!!

They gave Whiskey nose his for his services to Football but Kenny has done as much and more and its a disgrace he's not been knighted.

If you looked at one of his achievements he and Marina have done he would deserve this accolade.

It's time there was a concerted effort to get Kenny the knighthood his services to the club and all the people of Liverpool have so richly deserved.

Sir Bob was another that deserved a knighthood but they left it too late and he sadly passed away.

King Kenny for a knighthood......

What do we need to do?

Also does the Centenary still need to be called the Centenary? That dates been and gone...... we've moved on......... what would people think about the Sir Kenny Dalglish Stand? Again given the unwavering dedication his given to this club... I think he deserves it and has earnt it.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Sir Kenneth Mathieson Dalglish
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2016, 08:38:01 pm »
Why be a knight when your a king?

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2016, 08:49:31 pm »
I'm not entirely sure Dalglish would accept a knighthood. In fact, I'm pretty sure he'd turn it down.

Online Oscarmac

• Kenny is King
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2016, 09:09:58 pm »
My Hero.
They are only great because we are on our knees......let us arise!

Offline GIPPO77

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2016, 09:17:12 pm »
LEGEND.
YNWA

Offline CentenaryBoy

• Kopite
  • JFT97
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2016, 09:18:48 pm »
I'm not entirely sure Dalglish would accept a knighthood. In fact, I'm pretty sure he'd turn it down.

I have a funny feeling he may already have done so.

Offline iAnfieldRoad

• Legacy Fan
  • JUSTICE IS COMING
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2016, 10:19:12 pm »
Being called king kenny from liverpool fans will probably be enough for this humble scotsman.A legend and one of the reasons i support liverpool.Thanks king. :scarf
Justice for the 97
You`ll never walk alone

Online meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2016, 10:36:22 pm »
Why anyone would accept or want him to get a knighthood from that shower of shite is beyond me. And I'm pretty sure he wouldn't take it either. Anyway, that black and white photo with his back to camera is up there with my favourite Liverpool shots full stop. He'll always be the greatest.

Offline TealC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2016, 10:38:07 pm »
Just saw this.. Does anybody know what the 84' medal went for?

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2016, 10:47:41 pm »
When is this man going to be recognised properly for what he and Marina have done for football, cancer charity and most importantly for the families of the 96 and the city of Liverpool!!!!

Freedom of the City yesterday, or not?

You'd think the king has the Freedom of his own city anyway....
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline jed the red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2016, 11:02:17 pm »

I don't think he would you know, to the best of my knowledge he has retained his MBE.

He doesn't need it anyway, he is our KING and they should fucking bow to him!

Offline gritsvanilla

• Legacy Fan
  • A Light Souffle With Razor Blades
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2016, 02:32:47 am »
Still my favourite player of all time, still the only idol never to let me down, great OP and that pic of Kenny with his back to the camera looking over his shoulder might be my favourite football pic of all time. The King indeed.

Offline gritsvanilla

• Legacy Fan
  • A Light Souffle With Razor Blades
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2016, 02:34:09 am »

This. I'm not convinced Kenny would accept a knighthood either.

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm in love with here and I feel fine
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2016, 03:12:58 am »
As have been said: you can't knight a king.

A true legend and hero. He is Liverpool FC in so many ways and I'm personally grateful for that.
What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Offline vblfc

• "Verily, behold! Liverpool Football Club!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let your soul and spirit fly Into the mystic
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2016, 06:26:04 am »
Enjoyed reading the OP and many memories come back of himself, great teams he played in and the hard times he led us through.  On reading, it jolted my mind & I can still see him making noise at Celtic and in that year Keegan left he blew away that impact in an instant.  Also, as I read,  I was just thinking about shots curling into top corner when the poster included this.  It's imprinted in my head and was a pure essence of Dalglish, (as was finding Rush on a pinpoint). 
In those days of no social media etc. we didn't live in players' pockets like we seem to these days, but still with Kenny there really was an aura on him.  He didn't have any one thing special, he had every special thing. That's why he was, and still is the King.

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2016, 07:57:48 am »
An amazing man.

I was gutted when Keegan left. Didn't last long.

(And, short of naming my kids after that great side, my son's initials are K.M.D.)

Offline phil236849

• loves a Kwenchy Kup
  • Legacy Fan
  • Across the face of the goal
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2016, 09:11:53 am »
I was born in 1971 so was of perfect age for needing a hero when Kenny joined. My parents thought it hilarious when I asked them "Why didn't you call me Kenny?" Obviously I was deadly serious.

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2016, 09:33:06 am »
My hero. Wife still bemused by the picture of him on out bedroom wall. There are some things you don't want to grow out of. I was born in 1974 so remember him in his pomp. What a player but more than that, what a man.
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline youll never walk alone it

• Can no longer walk alone as he has whiplash... or that's what his insurer thinks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2016, 10:03:47 am »
why  are people  saying he wouldnt accept the knighthood? i hope he wouldnt.
Im drunk  but i havent had  a drink!  bob paisley after rome 77                The times i had here wernt all great, we only  finished 2nd one  season....the great  bob paisley

when shanks was asked  how he relaxed,  he said  he looks at the league table and checks where everton are...

Offline redboxingyeti

• Main Stander
  • Jurgen Believer
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2016, 12:08:00 pm »
Quite simply the greatest.
In this day of prima donnas, King Kenny is a true legend. A truly genuine genius on the pitch and a humble man off it, this is a man who I am proud to have as a hero.

Growing up in the 70's, there was Ali, and there was Kenny - both the greatest of all-time.

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2016, 01:20:10 pm »
Why be a King when you're a GOD?

Offline number 168

• Bootle - Aigburth Vale. Mon-Sat evenings, Sundays & Bank Holidays only. Arl fart clearly past his sell-his-season-ticket-by-date.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2016, 01:24:20 pm »
"KENNY DALGLISH WASN’T THE MOST SKILLED PLAYER"?Having watched all of The King's Liverpool career, I beg to differ. I was at Highbury when he scored a goal of sublime skill, I witnessed the chip against Bruges that only a few players could have conjured. The man was simply the best player I have ever seen in a Liverpool shirt.

Offline dirkster

• Legacy Fan
  • Dirk Kuyt. Working Class hero
« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2016, 01:29:35 pm »
Simply the best Liverpool player I have ever seen. Had the pleasure of meeting him once at the players ' hotel before a charity shield game with manure. He was an absolute gent. No airs and graces at all.  Only too pleased to have pictures taken with him.
We should never forget what he has done and the sacrifices he has made for the club and city. Truly is the greatest in every way