Author Topic: Prometheus: Ridley Scott's Alien Prequel  (Read 100818 times)

Offline Skuzzlebutt

• Legacy Fan
  • Hulk share opinion!!
Prometheus: Ridley Scott's Alien Prequel
« on: July 1, 2011, 01:05:58 pm »

****** WARNING ******

DO NOT READ THE SPOILER IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THE PLOT OF THE FILM.

This synopsis of the films plot was leaked by the studio just a few days ago.

Spoiler
Earth. Year 2058.

Archaeological digs in Africa reveal alien artifacts that humans were genetically engineered by a advanced alien race (space jockeys). These "Alien Gods" also terraformed Earth in order to make it habitable for their human creations. Amongst finds are coordinates to the Alien God's home-world, to Paradise. Months later the Weyland Corp launch the spaceship PROMETHEUS and his crew, into deep space to make first contact. Thanks to faster than light travel a few years later the PROMETHEUS enters the Zeta Riticuli star system. Humans are greeted by their makers, then transported further into space to a scary yet fascinating world. The Alien Gods are proud of their "children", their first creation to reach such levels of intelligence.

As a reward they share bits of their astonishing bio-based technologies with the humans. But for one crew member of the Prometheus it's not enough. In a treacherous act he steals the "bio-source code" to Terraforming, a technology at the origin of all Gods' power, that could make humans equal to the gods. The Alien Gods may be scientists but are also ruthless conquerors, destroyers of worlds who will not accept humans as equals. They unleash on the escaping human crew their favorite bio-weapon, a creature used to "clean up" worlds before colonization. But something goes wrong in the process and humans manage to turn the bio-weapon against their makers. Giving birth to a smarter, nastier, bigger breed of gut eating creatures. Creatures that will be the demise of Paradise. What's left of the Prometheus crew manages to escape the doomed planet.

On their trail a survivor Alien God in very familiar ship with one ultimate mission.

Bring the wrath of the Gods to Earth.
[close]

This film deserves its own thread.  From that plot outline I think it will be one of the best Sci Fi movies for a long long time.
We're gonna win the league-omiter

[00.........................................................]

V5. 2013 edition.  Optimism levels rusted solid.  We're givin' her all she's got Captain!!!

Offline Beav

• Football is impatient. Loves Vader's Helmet.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Prometheus: Ridley Scott's Alien Prequel
« Reply #1 on: July 1, 2011, 01:25:14 pm »
Cooooooooooooool
Twitter:  http://twitter.com/__Beav

Ah. Another Manchester United fan crashes out from the woodwork like a bemused koala that has taken three hits of crystal meth.

Offline The_Cutter

• It must be Summer the TdF is on and The Cutter appears!
  • Legacy Fan
  • And then I went.
« Reply #2 on: July 1, 2011, 01:28:52 pm »
Neat, not too fussed about the synopsis, but hopefully the old man still has some magic left in him. Always wondered if the Aliens were some sort of biological weapons.
"A story should have a beginning, a middle, and an end . . . but not necessarily in that order." Jean-Luc Godard

'I'm sorry Wayne. Please finish your cider.'

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #3 on: July 1, 2011, 01:44:43 pm »
Excellent news.

The background story of the Jockey was never satisfactorily explained, though I always thought that in itself was part of the mystery and attraction of the original film, something deliberately left enigmatic and to our imaginations to fill out the details.

Here's hoping it's good.

I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Online lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #4 on: July 1, 2011, 02:07:03 pm »
Read something from Damon Lindehof who has been working on the script, he made it sound like this wasn't a prequel to Alien. The synopsis above could be that, it is from the same universe but this isn't another Alien film if that makes sense. The above storyline sounds pretty damn cool to me; something different and kinda interesting, away from any hoopla about special effects and 3D. Ridley Scott and 3D is also something we need to see though; he's a design guy at heart so could be fantastic.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline hassinator

• RAWK Funk Soul Brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oot and proud
    • good egg hq
« Reply #5 on: July 1, 2011, 02:13:44 pm »
michael fassbender is playing the lead

Offline Gobias Industries

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: July 1, 2011, 02:22:47 pm »
I had an idea for a script quite similar to this a few years ago, but it had differences. I'm kinda disappointed something so close to my idea is being made if I'm honest.

Offline Skuzzlebutt

• Legacy Fan
  • Hulk share opinion!!
« Reply #7 on: July 1, 2011, 02:36:00 pm »
Read something from Damon Lindehof who has been working on the script, he made it sound like this wasn't a prequel to Alien. The synopsis above could be that, it is from the same universe but this isn't another Alien film if that makes sense. The above storyline sounds pretty damn cool to me; something different and kinda interesting, away from any hoopla about special effects and 3D. Ridley Scott and 3D is also something we need to see though; he's a design guy at heart so could be fantastic.

It explains several hanging questions from the original.

Why was Weyland industries so obsessed with this creature?
What could they hope to learn from it?
Who was the Pilot of that ship?
Why did the Pilots ship have so many eggs on it?

I think this brief outline gives us answers to so many of those questions.
We're gonna win the league-omiter

[00.........................................................]

V5. 2013 edition.  Optimism levels rusted solid.  We're givin' her all she's got Captain!!!

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #8 on: July 1, 2011, 02:38:33 pm »
Looking forward to this.

Ridley Scott is possible the best ever out there at what he does.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Dam

• Legacy Fan
  • Rush scored 1, Rush scored 2,...
« Reply #9 on: July 1, 2011, 03:50:07 pm »
This sounds as cool as fuck! I want to watch it now

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #10 on: July 1, 2011, 03:55:08 pm »
It sounds superb, but it doesn't sound "Alien", if you know what I mean.

Offline El Diablos

• The Chronologically Trousered Philanthropist
  • Legacy Fan
  • All posts copyright of Alan Smithee
« Reply #11 on: July 1, 2011, 04:01:46 pm »
It sounds superb, but it doesn't sound "Alien", if you know what I mean.

Yeah i see what you mean. Weyland industries puts it in the Alien universe though.

Will Ridley have to accept the sequels as official cannon? I guess not looking at the synopsis as it seems to be pretty much a self contained story.

I'm looking forward to it although i haven't truly enjoyed a Ridley Scott movie in a long long time.

Offline Ultimate Bromance

• The Crab
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: July 1, 2011, 04:02:25 pm »
Very intrigued as to how this fits into the whole Alien universe. As lionel says, already been stated that it isn't a direct prequel, as it was originally intended to be, so really looking forward to seeing how it all ties in.
Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose.

Offline Tommy_W

• Jol-ly. Constipated.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: July 1, 2011, 04:07:24 pm »
I don't think I've enjoyed a Ridley Scott film since Gladiator. Hes really gone off the boil

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #14 on: July 1, 2011, 04:09:05 pm »
I don't think I've enjoyed a Ridley Scott film since Gladiator. Hes really gone off the boil

Dunno quite liked Hannibal and the A-Team

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #15 on: July 1, 2011, 04:17:20 pm »
Yeah i see what you mean. Weyland industries puts it in the Alien universe though.

Will Ridley have to accept the sequels as official cannon? I guess not looking at the synopsis as it seems to be pretty much a self contained story.

I'm looking forward to it although i haven't truly enjoyed a Ridley Scott movie in a long long time.

A self contained story?!

Eh?

How do you work that out?

It seems to fit exactly.

Spoiler

1. It explains why Weyland are interested
2. It explains why the alien space ship that crash-landed on LV-426 was there
3. It explains why the alien eggs were in the cargo hold of that ship
4. It explains the 'Space Jockey' and where he came from
5. It explains the 'space jockey's' purpose
6. It explains how 'The company' knew to redirect the Nostromo
7. It explains how 'The company' knew the ship was crashed there well before the Nostromo even set off (By putting Ash on board0
8. It explains why Ash knew what he did and why he had the instructions he had and why an android was placed onboard
9. It explains the programming and in-situ knowledge of the ship-board computer (Mother)
10. It explains why 'The Company' want to catch 'The alien'
11. It explains where the atmospheric processing technology came from
12. It explains the trap set for the colonists in 'Aliens'

[close]

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Rusty Oysterburger

• Might be George Gillett
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: July 1, 2011, 04:38:08 pm »
That does sound awesome but a few film sites are pouring cold water on that being the official synopsis, it's just a rumour at the mo.

The cast looks great too; Michael Fassbender, Noomi Rapace, Charlize Theron, Guy Pearce, and Idris Elba. Im quite excited about Ridley going back to sci fi films, he's only made two in his career and they are both absolute classics.
www.twitter.com/savagefletch

"'Do it?' Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome? I did it thirty-five minutes ago."

Offline PROPER crazyemlyn72

• is Android
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: July 1, 2011, 05:24:05 pm »
i wish he would revisit the blade runner universe.

with all the shite that gets deemed worthy of sequels prequels trilogies and quadrilogies, why the fuck cant they give me one more blade runner movie :no
« Last Edit: July 1, 2011, 05:26:13 pm by crazyemlyn72 »

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #18 on: July 1, 2011, 05:29:44 pm »

with all the shite that gets deemed worthy of sequels prequels trilogies and quadrilogies, why the fuck cant they give me one more blade runner movie :no

He's just another crazy Skinjob mate :(

Offline Mouth

• Loretta the Wool. Closely related to SHF's Trousers....and thought Thomas Müller was down to miss a penno. He's behind yooo. Wants you to say "what?" one more time! Dreams about anal sex but couldn't come even if he wanted to.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Filmed in front of a live studio audience
    • www.bigassfans.com
« Reply #19 on: July 1, 2011, 08:26:10 pm »
Cant wait for this, its not a sequel or a prequel is it, its meant to be an expansion of the Alien universe. Very happy about that, wish more films would be made like this, instead of tired rehashes, so glad there is no Ripley in this.

Robin Hood was absolutely terrible, one of the worst films I've ever seen. But Body of Lies, American Gangster, Kingdom of Heaven, Black Hawk Down & Hannibal were all good. Particularly Kingdom of Heaven, I think thats the best film he has done in years, better than Gladiator even.

There sort of is, like Prometheus, Soldier is meant to be an expansion of the Bladerunner universe.
"Paranoia is a very comforting state of mind. If you think they're out to get you, it means you think you matter"

Jurgen! What is best in life?

Crush your enemies. See dem driven before you. Hear d'lamentations of der vimmen.

Offline Paul JH

• Elmer Fudd. I'm a witch! A WITCH!
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Don't do drugs..."
« Reply #20 on: July 1, 2011, 08:43:22 pm »
I agree, Robin Hood was terrible. Nothing happens in it. One of the most uneventful movies I've ever seen.

As for this NOT being an Alien prequel, I'd say we might find out eventually that it is, but they don't want to link it to much because of people's apathy to sequels, prequels and everything else. I think it will be linked with Alien, and be a 'prequel' but still be it's own beast entirely. If it's about the Space Jockey's, it can be it's own thing.

Even in Aliens when Ripley says that the company wanted the Alien for it's 'bio weapons division', it gives away some of the possible story to this. Sounds great, really looking forward to it.
 :)
Sarcastic Net Pest and Sanctimonious Arse.

Offline hassinator

• RAWK Funk Soul Brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oot and proud
    • good egg hq
« Reply #21 on: July 1, 2011, 08:52:16 pm »
its definitely a prequel

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: July 1, 2011, 08:53:44 pm »
This will be the best film of it's year of release.

Anyone who hates it can fuck off starting now.

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #23 on: July 1, 2011, 09:07:00 pm »
This will be the best film of it's year of release.

Anyone who hates it can fuck off starting now.

Should be summer 2012. Luckily in 2012 we will also get to see Ghost Rider 2, Underworld 4, Clash of the Titans 2, Scary Movie 5, GI Joe 2, a Jason Bourne film without Matt Damon as Jason Bourne, Resident Evil 5,  Twilight 5, oh and there's also Phantom Menace in 3D.

What a year for film. What a fucking year.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: July 1, 2011, 09:08:52 pm »
Should be summer 2012. Luckily in 2012 we will also get to see Ghost Rider 2, Underworld 4, Clash of the Titans 2, Scary Movie 5, GI Joe 2, a Jason Bourne film without Matt Damon as Jason Bourne, Resident Evil 5,  Twilight 5, oh and there's also Phantom Menace in 3D.

I just threw up.

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: July 1, 2011, 09:14:01 pm »

My point has just been proven.

I thank you kind sir.

This and the new Star Trek are going to be the two best films of the next few years IMO.

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: July 1, 2011, 09:19:40 pm »
This, Django Unchained, Dark Knight Rises, Star Trek 2 and Avengers are the only ones I'm looking forward to next year, and the latter two could go horribly horribly wrong.

Hopefully Fincher starts something soon and gives us something next year to follow on from the relatively quick productions of Social Network and Dragon Tattoo. Please. Going to be a shite, shite year for cinema.

Offline Ultimate Bromance

• The Crab
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: July 1, 2011, 09:22:24 pm »

You forgot the Total Recall reboot, Titanic 3D and Battleship; yes, a movie based on the game Battleship - Rihanna's in it. Oh and another American Pie.

But still, it's not as if there ain't going to be much to look forward to. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_in_film Doesn't look that grim, and as always, there'll be a few films that you go to thinking they'll be rubbish and they surprise you.
Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose.

Offline litliper

• Legacy Fan
  • Does anybody wanna buy a country?
« Reply #28 on: July 1, 2011, 09:24:33 pm »
Sounds awesome.

I'd add The Hobbit to the list of movies to look forward to in 2012.
"My country is the world, and my religion to do good." (Thomas Paine)

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: July 1, 2011, 09:27:16 pm »
This, Django Unchained, Dark Knight Rises, Star Trek 2 and Avengers are the only ones I'm looking forward to next year, and the latter two could go horribly horribly wrong.

Hopefully Fincher starts something soon and gives us something next year to follow on from the relatively quick productions of Social Network and Dragon Tattoo. Please. Going to be a shite, shite year for cinema.

Sorry to go off topic but I'm actually worried about the new Star Trek to be honest.

The last one was superb in every way possibly, amazing CGI scenes, brilliant score, great and interesting storyline that didn't bore you half to death and the characters got developed exceptionally well.

Also liked the way they just threw the characters at you and didn't spend to long introducing them, it was basically just here's a character, now on the enterprise and into the fight.

Really really hope the next one can stand upto the brilliance of the last but I do have my doubts.

Offline Paul JH

• Elmer Fudd. I'm a witch! A WITCH!
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Don't do drugs..."
« Reply #30 on: July 1, 2011, 09:28:34 pm »

I was genuinely about to say you've missed The Avengers and The Dark Knight Rises until I saw the films you listed and realised you were on a wind up ... :D
Sarcastic Net Pest and Sanctimonious Arse.

Offline Mouth

• Loretta the Wool. Closely related to SHF's Trousers....and thought Thomas Müller was down to miss a penno. He's behind yooo. Wants you to say "what?" one more time! Dreams about anal sex but couldn't come even if he wanted to.
  • Legacy Fan
    • www.bigassfans.com
« Reply #31 on: July 1, 2011, 10:46:43 pm »
I agree, Robin Hood was terrible. Nothing happens in it. One of the most uneventful movies I've ever seen.

As for this NOT being an Alien prequel, I'd say we might find out eventually that it is, but they don't want to link it to much because of people's apathy to sequels, prequels and everything else. I think it will be linked with Alien, and be a 'prequel' but still be it's own beast entirely. If it's about the Space Jockey's, it can be it's own thing.

Even in Aliens when Ripley says that the company wanted the Alien for it's 'bio weapons division', it gives away some of the possible story to this. Sounds great, really looking forward to it.
 :)
Its a sidequel. Its set in the same universe at the same time as Ripley is around, she just wont feature in it, so I think it will be set after she blows the ship and jumps in the life pod, it will show what happens back on earth when they find out the Nostromo has blown up and the steps they take after that. So Ripley and her story wont really be relevent.
When they started writing it it was envisioned as a sequel, I think to scrub Alien 3 onwards from memory and reboot the series. To go back to the ship and find out what the deal was with the original alien. But they kept having ideas that wouldnt really fit in a sequel, they kept expanding the universe and so ditched the Ripley angle and came up with this. The bio weapon idea in the above leak fits, as Scott has said thats an idea they were thinking about, that the xenomorphs were designed to be a kind of bioweapon designed to clean planets.

Interesting if the leak is true, as the terraforming idea was part of the first spin off comic that Mark Verheiden wrote, that the xenomorphs themselves were part of the process, eradicating all other life then by building their hives, the hives themselves became terraforming structures, turning the infested planets habitable for the other aliens.
"Paranoia is a very comforting state of mind. If you think they're out to get you, it means you think you matter"

Crush your enemies. See dem driven before you. Hear d'lamentations of der vimmen.

Offline medley

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Garrincha
« Reply #32 on: July 1, 2011, 11:30:32 pm »

Don't forget they are making another American Pie movie. Its called American Renion. Mad Max: Total Fury (Tom Hardy), Total Recall (Colin Farrell) also coming out in 2012 too.

Here is the fan made teaser poster:

« Last Edit: July 1, 2011, 11:32:41 pm by medley »
My mate is Sarah Harding's cousin from girls aloud, he looks a fair but like her which is a bit weird when i'm cracking one off over MTV like

• is Android
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: July 1, 2011, 11:32:12 pm »
There sort of is, like Prometheus, Soldier is meant to be an expansion of the Bladerunner universe.

go on, tell me more.....oh and if its not directed by scott and not scored by vangelis and doesnt have a melancholic feel, then i wont like it.
« Last Edit: July 1, 2011, 11:34:01 pm by crazyemlyn72 »

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #34 on: July 1, 2011, 11:34:58 pm »
go on, tell me more.....oh and if its not directed by scott and not scored by vangelis and doesnt have a melancholic feel, then i wont like it.
picky with your films!

• is Android
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: July 1, 2011, 11:46:02 pm »
picky with your films!

scott should call me up, i will tell him how to do it!   on second thoughts they should leave it alone. you know someone like james cameron would get to direct it and it would be godawful.

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: July 2, 2011, 12:10:38 am »
You mean Paul WS Anderson or whatever his name is. You could do far worse than James Cameron on a sequel to Blade Runner.

Offline Mouth

• Legacy Fan
    • www.bigassfans.com
« Reply #37 on: July 2, 2011, 12:23:32 am »
Oh you wont like it, not many people do.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soldier_(film)

Soldier was written by David Peoples, who co-wrote the script for Blade Runner. By his own admission, he considers Soldier to be a "sidequel"/spiritual successor to Blade Runner. It also obliquely references various elements of stories written by Philip K. Dick (who wrote the novel Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, on which Blade Runner is based), or film adaptations thereof. A "Spinner" vehicle from Blade Runner can be seen in the wreckage on a junk planet that features in the film.

I get what you mean though, I'd like to see more of the Bladerunner universe, but its the risk of fucking with the legacy that puts me off. Dont think I'd like to see a sequel, but it was such a brilliant setting its a shame we got to see so little of it. Maybe some kind of tv series with a massive budget would be good. Comes down to story though, not sure just following an everyday Bladerunner would be able to sustain a series and in another film it would be weak.

All in all if we cant have more Bladerunner, I'd at least like to see sci-fi done on the same level, with the same vision and style. Hopefully Prometheus will fit the bill.

Online Mr Dilkington

• would rather be too cold than too hot
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never buy the Sun
    • www.level3football.com
« Reply #38 on: July 2, 2011, 12:40:39 am »
Didn't like Gladiator or Robin Hood, but this sounds promising.

Hopefully this reaches something near his best work.
You change all the lead, sleeping in my head, as the day grows dim, I hear you sing a golden hymn.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: July 2, 2011, 01:20:30 am »
I was never hot on Gladiator. I thought large parts of it were quite boring. And I'm not averse to a long film. But there were times nothing was happening. I also saw it much later than most people and had already heard how amazing it was meant to be. It never lived up to that for me.

And Robin Hood was fucking pish beyond belief.