Author Topic: A Boyhood Dream  (Read 8183 times)

Offline WOOLTONIAN

• The Garston Gasworks XI.....aka "Beryl".....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Brodrick ; Vice Admiral of the Reds
A Boyhood Dream
« on: March 5, 2004, 11:38:43 am »
As a little "Rag Arse" running around Garston, I used to dream about becoming a great footballer. My role models at the time were:

Ian St. John, a powerful header of the ball.
Roger Hunt, a prolific goalscorer.
Ron Yeats, the Collossus.
Tommy Smith, the Anfield Iron.
Peter Thompson, Our first "twisty-turny" who could peel an orange with his left boot.

If I could colate all their skills together, what a great footballer I would have been. Sadly my dream of playing for Liverpool did not materialise, perhaps 8 was a bit young.

On moving to Woolton, my heroes changed...

Tommy Smith, was still kicking everything in sight.
Emlyn Hughes, covered nearly every inch of turf.
John Toshack, became the role model for heading.
Kevin Keegan, was the heart of the team.
Terry McDermott was the "twisty-turny"

But for all my dreams of playing for my beloved club, the call up never came. I had to settle with schoolboy football at Preston North End. Which didn't last long.

So the best I achieved at 16 was playing for Hillfoot Hey (Saturday morning), Woolton Boys Club (Saturday afternoon) and Garston Villa (Sunday morning).

The following years I spent more time watching, than I did playing. Watching Liverpool was like a drug. Boyhood dreams of scoring at Anfield had passed. Adolescent dreams took a different turn. No longer was I sending in a diving header, another sort of diving was more the order of my dreams.

And so the years passed.

I met and married Lynn Case from Speke. My only game in those early years of marriage was playing for BICC. We were a reasonable side, but the talent scouts did not tend to follow what was basically a pub side. Four pints before a match and 4 after.

Then came our two kids, Billy and Desperate. My only dreams at this stage, were that my son could succeed playing football, where I failed. But he too found "hide the sausage" much more fun than running around a field kicking a ball.

My two children are now adults and the old fellah's dreams of greatness on the footbal stage, had all but disappeared. At 46 and being a Grampa, I suppose getting a call up is about as likely as me winning the Lotto.

and then I got a letter ....

"You have been selected to take part in a penalty competition on 4th April. To be held at Anfield at half time during the Blackburn home game"

Sorry, I must have misread that .....

"You have been selected to take part in a penalty competition on 4th April. To be held at Anfield at half time during the Blackburn home game"

No it couldn't be. Obviously it was one of my mates taking the piss.

I read it for a third time.

"You have been selected to take part in a penalty competition on 4th April. To be held at Anfield at half time during the Blackburn home game. You will be supplied with a full kit, which you can keep. Just bring yer own boots. You will be supplied with a match ticket for the main stand"

Now some who know me well, would suggest sitting in the main stand was my worst nightmare. But worse, my last boots have been somewhere on a Liverpool Council dump for 20 years. Do I go looking for them or do I go out and buy the latest version of "Puma Pele"?

Do I buy "White"?

Last night my boyhood dreams turned into a nightmare of monolithic proportions.

Would I trip over me own feet on the run up.
Worse, would I trip up when I step on the pitch.
Would I hit someone in the crowd.
Would I make a total idiot out of myself in front of the wife and kids.

and then it dawned on me ...

No, I was likely to make a total idiot of myself in front of 45,309 Liverpudlians. Or worse, the ruddy game would be televised on Sky, ergo me parading my idiocy in front of millions.

Needless to say, I didn't sleep a wink last night. But as the sun rose this morning and the larks were larkin' around I dosed off. Back came all the boyhood dreams. I was a young lad again stood in front of the KOP ready to take my brace of pens. If I put them away like my dreams foretold, I can honestly say, I will go to my grave a very happy man.

The moral of the story?

Never give up hope, never give up on your dreams.

The event is the RAOTL Ray Kennedy Penalty Shoot out in association with Parkinson's Disease Society. If there is anyone here who would like to sponsor me, please contact me by IM or leave details below.

Fully fortified with the "Spirit of Liddell" will I put the two away, will it be just the one, or will I make a total ass of meself?

You decide.

© Wooltonian 2004
« Last Edit: March 7, 2004, 06:09:16 pm by Rushian »
Living descendant of Sir Thomas Brodrick, Vice Admiral of the Red in the 18th Century

Offline WOOLTONIAN

• Legacy Fan
Re: A Boyhood Dream
« Reply #1 on: March 5, 2004, 12:06:32 pm »
Cheers SK
IM returned
Living descendant of Sir Thomas Brodrick, Vice Admiral of the Red in the 18th Century

Offline Life

• goes on.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: March 5, 2004, 12:17:17 pm »
That's fantastic Wooly, get practising!  And remember, even if you fall on your arse, how many other people can say they've made 45000 people piss their sides.

Oh to have that Scully moment - still sends me to sleep with a smile on my face.
"Why should they be used in any other way? It wouldn'a be fair for one thing. Natural ability is far too precious tae be messed about wi'."

Offline WOOLTONIAN

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: March 5, 2004, 12:22:54 pm »
Cheers Life,
Wait til John Mush sees this,
after all the stick I gave him at HJC3, I'm expecting the worst
 ;D

Offline beardsley4ever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: March 5, 2004, 12:29:58 pm »
Just keep the shot down. That way, if the keeper saves it, then at least he had to dive so it'll look like a good save.  Worst thing in the world is keeping it to high and having the keeper catch it with one step to either side (hate that feeling).

Offline didi

• A complete Klopp out
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: March 5, 2004, 12:30:43 pm »
dont take any advice from that owen lad ;D
best of luck and enjoy the moment

Offline WOOLTONIAN

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: March 5, 2004, 12:56:25 pm »
Cheers both

Dont worry, in 15 years of playing I never missed the target ONCE.
I might be old and bald, but I can still see 10 yards......
or was it 12 ?
 ;D

Offline Tarpaulin

• Polish Ambassador to Liverpool
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: March 5, 2004, 04:18:45 pm »
You jammy bastard! ;D

Great little tale mate, had me giggling throughout. Im as envious of you as ugly people are of me! :)

I have a preminision [is that how its spelt?]

WOOLY, proudly struts out onto the hallowed turf, greeted with a muffling of claps and a few "Ole's"....He makes his way to the penalty area, Kop end. Its his turn to take a penno, confidently he strolls up, places the ball on the gleaming white spot, and takes 5 paces backwards.  Then the moment, that split second before he runs up...the moment of truth. This is the moment that makes or breaks a penalty. Does his arse go? Does he confidently picture his strike rippling the net, or does he simply smile in the knowledge that succeed or fail, he will have taken a penalty Kop end, at the home of true football. In that split second WOOLY does the worst thing possible, but at the same time the best...........

He looks up into the Kop.

12,000 reds [well, its halftime so probably 7000] look down upon him. They feel his anxiety, and understand his excitement. Every single on of them thinking "I fuckin' wish that was me, jammy bastard, I hope he misses!" ;D . That fatal look proves costly as karl begins his run up....panic and pressure kick in, and the legs goto jelly and the head starts to rush and a sudden bout of hotness and dizziness kicks in......"Do I go right? Do I go left" WOOLY thinks..........

Its too late, hes ran out of steps and the ball is underneath him. An instinctive strike in his new Puma Pele's, and the ball is sent goalwards at a velocity akin to NASA scientists. Natural insticnt has taken over, all those years of watching and wishing, all those dreams of the run up, all those minutes, hours and days spent watching football - and of course the many many years of enjoyment had playing the game with various teams.......The ball CRASHES.............................

into the back of the net..............

WOOLY runs off Kop bound, and raises his shirt above his head to reveal his JUSTICE t-shirt in Robbie Fowler/Docker-esque fashion........the crowd see it and go fuckin mad....they now totally feel how this 1 man feels; who has done what every single one of them wishes they had the chance to do themselves. They are proud to be a red.

Heres hoping mate.

Andy
« Last Edit: March 5, 2004, 04:44:49 pm by Roper »

Offline RogerE

• Main Stander
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #8 on: March 5, 2004, 04:43:22 pm »
Fantastic stuff. As a fellow 46 year old I grew up with the same role models and the same dreams but I'm a lot further away from living them than you are.
I'd be delighted to sponsor you for such a good cause, just let me know how to go about it.

Offline Tarpaulin

• Polish Ambassador to Liverpool
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: March 5, 2004, 04:47:51 pm »
Oh yeah....forgot to put that bit on in all the excitement.

Of course ill sponsor you Karl.

Offline koolkamal

• There's a kind of hush
  • Legacy Fan
  • Our dreams are what make us who we are.
« Reply #10 on: March 5, 2004, 08:31:32 pm »
Lucky Bastard, If I werent so jealous, I'd be really happy for you, Im so envious now. You better make sure, it a penalty worth remembering, otherwise you'd get a kick up the rear end.

Not alot of people have the chance to say: "Hey I scored 1 goal at anfield" , hell even some Liverpool players havent been able to say that. So you'd better score.
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them". Walt Disney

Offline Murf

• RAWK Wino
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sir Bob Paisley 10 years gone but not forgotten
« Reply #11 on: March 5, 2004, 08:44:00 pm »

You had better score,or your in for some
stick on here
Enjoy the day will IM your sponsor
good luck :wave :wave
never forget the 96....... justice   www.contrast.org/hillsborough

NO GAME ON APRIL THE 15th please write to

Rick Parry
Chief Executive
Liverpool Football Club
Anfield Road
Liverpool
L4 0TH

Offline koolkamal

• There's a kind of hush
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: March 5, 2004, 08:52:44 pm »
Sorry forget to metion, I cant sponsor you, well with me living in another country who's currency is WAY WAY weaker then the pound, and with money being tight, one thing I can do is wish you good luck.
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them". Walt Disney

Pheeny

« Reply #13 on: March 5, 2004, 09:17:35 pm »
Karl that is excellent news and could not have happened to a more deserving red.A shame I won't be there to see it but I also will sponsor you!

PS hope 202 can think of a song for you :P

Online Bren1892

• Badge Queen - Goes in through the window and lands in the kitchen
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Got fed up with Liverlady.....
« Reply #14 on: March 5, 2004, 09:22:21 pm »
Oh wow!   That is just fantastic - lucky you and how brilliant to be kicking a ball at anfield in front of the Kop!  If you put the details of how to sponsor I'll be among the many that do. 
 :D
YNWA
JFT96

Offline wellsie82

• Where's me tractorrrrrrrrr?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: March 5, 2004, 09:31:58 pm »
nice one karl, i might be there at that game (hope i am now!!)

ive been allowed on the pitch once but not to kick anything or anyone

am made up for you  :D :wave
the best cashback site on the net.... Click here to get signed up

Offline Roger

• The Derek Acorah of RAWK & Welsh News Correspondent
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: March 5, 2004, 09:37:52 pm »
i'm behind that goal for that game. will lash some cash.

{if you score}

;D

Offline ali

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: March 5, 2004, 10:52:32 pm »
Smashing news Wooly, will try to be there   ;D

IM me with details of how to sponsor you  :wave
for those of you watching in black and white Liverpool are the team with the ball

Offline Mottman

• OCB Rep, King of Bootle, Snake Wrangler Extraordinaire, Member of the Garston is in Runcorn Society
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: March 6, 2004, 12:04:13 am »
Well in Karl, hope you can see the goals.
A boy from the Mersey and a Son of Shankly.

Offline WOOLTONIAN

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: March 6, 2004, 10:21:04 am »
Many thanks to all the offers of Sponsorship, it's very much appreciated.
I will IM details on where to forward cheques.

Still waking up to the reality of this.
I dont know who is the most excited, me or the kids.
Lynn has just totally lost the plot.
She wants to carry my boots to the game, gerrroff yer cracked cow !

Look out for the ad shortly after the game

New size 10 pair of Boots
worn once only
Fuckin Magic / fuckin shit boots (to be decided)

Offline Mottman

• OCB Rep, King of Bootle, Snake Wrangler Extraordinaire, Member of the Garston is in Runcorn Society
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: March 6, 2004, 10:30:44 am »
Karl,

Buy a pair of "white" stylo matchmakers. :D

Offline WOOLTONIAN

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: March 6, 2004, 10:34:31 am »
i'm behind that goal for that game. will lash some cash.

{if you score}

;D

Cheers for the vote of confidence Roger  :-\
Lynn will prob collect a few pennies in the Sandon on the day
or
Pass it to someone here who knows us

failing all, I'll forward you an address to send a cheque.

To be honest I'm a pretty confident fellah, or 'kin big headed, call it what you like.
The nerves will only set in nearer the time

just picture it .........

walks on the pitch, three steps on .......
 :puke

Offline WOOLTONIAN

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: March 6, 2004, 10:35:52 am »
Karl,

Buy a pair of "white" stylo matchmakers. :D

Robbie
my last pair were "Puma Pele" mate
thats another story for the pub  ;)

Offline koolkamal

• There's a kind of hush
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: March 6, 2004, 10:43:49 am »
How about a solid pair of adidas argentina with the hard toe, just so you can blast it in.  :wave

Offline nige

• RAWK Poet Laureate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: March 6, 2004, 07:23:11 pm »
Well in mate - enjoy your  amazing day & I'll pray  for you to score .  Even if I do score when I play  there in May for FootballAid, the Kop will be empty,  but still worth every penny that i'm giving to charity for the privilege.
Hope to see you in Marseille for a drink !

Offline seawa

• will do anything for a hob nob
  • Kopite
« Reply #25 on: March 6, 2004, 09:03:46 pm »
That's fantastic - best of luck!

Offline Mottman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: March 6, 2004, 10:38:04 pm »
When we were kids we used to play footie wearing them brown plastic sandals from Woolies.

They used to hurt your feet when the main "sandal" bit broke, it used to flap around in the wind, but we still all ended up doing Tommy Smith's.

Offline Jon G

• I'm Jim Rockford, at the tone leave your name and number and I'll get back to ya. PM Jon Hall if you can read this...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 78 stone wobble
    • not mine
« Reply #27 on: March 7, 2004, 11:03:17 pm »
You really need to wear a pair of Gola's :D

I'm not jealous at all, you dersrve it :wave
NOTHING GREAT HAS EVER BEEN ACHIEVED WITHOUT PASSION - CARRAGHER 23

Offline speker

• Main Stander
« Reply #28 on: March 8, 2004, 10:06:06 pm »
"Fully fortified with the "Spirit of Liddell" will I put the two away, will it be just the one, or will I make a total ass of meself?"

Wooly, just picture yerself out there on the big pitch surrounded by the running track at Hillfoot and remember everything Mr Atherton taught you.
  A Garston lad and an Hillfoot graduate.............You'll walk it,lad  ;D

Offline WOOLTONIAN

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: March 9, 2004, 10:37:39 am »
"Fully fortified with the "Spirit of Liddell" will I put the two away, will it be just the one, or will I make a total ass of meself?"

Wooly, just picture yerself out there on the big pitch surrounded by the running track at Hillfoot and remember everything Mr Atherton taught you.
  A Garston lad and an Hillfoot graduate.............You'll walk it,lad  ;D

:o  :o  :o

Blast from the past !
That pitch you're talkin about was one of the best in Liverpool.
Ever play on it ?
I ran round it once in 54.7 seconds a record until the school was knocked down.
Probably take me 5 mins nowadays

Offline Ben S

• Remember we were partners in crime. Pigeon Fancier. GTL Bus Freak. Also known as Bambi, apparently - or Miss Kitty on Wednesdays....
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 5 - 1 London
« Reply #30 on: March 9, 2004, 01:14:14 pm »
How old are you Wooly, me old man went to hillfoot

Offline speker

• Main Stander
« Reply #31 on: March 9, 2004, 05:56:54 pm »
"Blast from the past !
That pitch you're talkin about was one of the best in Liverpool.
Ever play on it ?"

Yep , regularly for the school team on Saturday mornings. Twas indeed a great pitch.Played against Billy Ashcroft  of Boro fame on that pitch when he was at St Margarets. Also ran the 100,220 and relay for the school on that track. Was in Dalton House.

Offline WOOLTONIAN

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2004, 01:41:29 pm »
How old are you Wooly, me old man went to hillfoot

47 this year, assuming yer old fellah is about that age, ask him to tell you about teachers
NOBBY Forbes
BOARDHANGER Lott
TAFFY Jones
I'm sure he will know them.

Offline Ben S

• Remember we were partners in crime. Pigeon Fancier. GTL Bus Freak. Also known as Bambi, apparently - or Miss Kitty on Wednesdays....
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 5 - 1 London
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2004, 08:06:23 pm »
Old mans about 5 years older than you, will ask him next time i see him

Offline WOOLTONIAN

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2004, 08:18:37 am »
Fantastic stuff. As a fellow 46 year old I grew up with the same role models and the same dreams but I'm a lot further away from living them than you are.
I'd be delighted to sponsor you for such a good cause, just let me know how to go about it.

RogerE / Liverlady

many thanks for your VERY generous sponsorship.
I will be banking all cheques on the 29-3-04.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2004, 08:07:02 am by WOOLTONIAN »

Offline WOOLTONIAN

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2004, 12:02:42 pm »
Many thanks to all for the cheques and cash received so far.
Very much appreciated

Offline Jonathan Hall ☆☆☆☆☆☆

• The name's Hall... Jonathan Hall. aka DangerPaddy. Olores de cebollas. Carly Cole Stalker. Likes to drink at Bar Fanny.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tapas y Cerveza y vino tinto!
« Reply #36 on: April 1, 2004, 06:56:02 pm »
Has Ben asked his old man yet?

Song? You can keep the fucking wooly off the pitch.
Right which bastards eaten me Tapas?

http://hfdinfo.com/digital/