Author Topic: The first part of the Luis Garcia RAWK interview: the Football  (Read 12900 times)

Offline Spanish-Red

• Correspondiente Español
  • Main Stander
First all excuse me for the translation. I'm sure that it is a poor translation but I think you can understand everything. It's a mixed translation between google and me ...  anyway I hope you enjoy it!

Luis was writing Thursday afternoon for an hour or more. I was filtering and translating for two and a half hours so, here is the first part:

FOOTBALL

1. What is your favourite position? Right midfielder, just behind the striker?

My favourite position is just behind centre forward, since in that position I can move around more and try to do many things. Also in that position I am nearer the penalty area, so nearer the goal.

2. What aspects of your game have you been told to work on most by the coaching staff since arriving? What aspect of the game do you feel is your strongest part?

I have always been a player who understands what the trainer wants and with respect to tactical subjects I haven't had to work on much. It has instead been the technical areas. For example the coaches have stressed to me that I must play simpler football, not to always try the spectacular play or the pretty thing, since it means I lose simple balls sometimes.

I think that what always has been more natural to me is goal scoring. I think I have the luck to have that gift, the knowledge, as to where the ball is going to go depending on the moment. Like for example the goal against the Everton, in that moment I knew that if the ball did not go into the net it was possible it would hit the bar so I would have my opportunity.

3. Do you put our poor away form down to mentality?

Yes I agree. I think we struggle a lot  to play away since we don't have the home support of the fans. I personally feel discomfort playing away.

In Spain I have always scored more goals away than home games, since a side when playing at home go on the attack with many of his players  and leaves spaces, but here in England this I find it hard to adapt to the away games.

I hope next year that knowing what has happened this season, to improve in this aspect. I think that all the team knows that we must change that mentality if we want to fight for the title.

4. Rafa nearly always comes across as a pretty cool customer during a game, and in interviews, but does he have a dark side?  Does he rant and rave after a disappointing result, or poor performance from player/s?

He's not a trainer who usually loses his temper and begins to shout.  I know him and I know when he is getting angry or not and he demonstrates it by working hard on the aspect of our game that was a problem in a poor match. Of course like all managers there are some occasions he shouts and has some disagreements but this not a common thing.

5. What do you feel you can do as a player now that you couldn't do two years ago?

Two years gives you time to improve many things, as much personally technical as tactical, but what I think that I have improved is approaching the bad moments in a season.  It's very difficult to be at the same level throughout one season, there are good and bad moments and when I was in a bad run of form and everything went badly, that used to cost me a lot of time to recover that confidence. Now at those bad moments I attempt to maintain a level of 5, an average level, until regaining all the confidence and returning to give the 9.

6. Which Liverpool players have impressed you in a special way so far? And from reserves?

Obviously Steve Gerrard. I was not surprised by how good a player he is, but if there is a player to say he has surprised me, it has been Steve Finnan. When I arrived and he was playing in right midfield I didn't know much of him and in fact I thought he couldn't contribute much to the team. As the days passed he started to surprise me, and every day he continues surprising me. He is a player who gives all each match, contributes with things in attack and is difficult to beat in defence. I am very pleased playing with him behind me, because that gives security to me. Of the reserve team I think that Steve Warnock and Darren Potter are both doing big things, and they are players with a great future.

7. Is being two footed something that is encouraged in Spain from an early age or is it just natural? Which is your better foot to shooting?

I really can't remember that. But I think that it isn't trained. I am left-handed, but most of the control and dribbling I do better with the right foot. However I would take a penalty more confortably with my left foot.

8. How does it feel to be 'targetted'  by big physical defenders, maybe battered  by  "dogs of war" teams  twice in one week (Blackburn, Everton - it was clear to us that their managers told defenders to target you)? Is it much worse than Spain?

It's something that I am trying to take in the best possible way. I'm not a strong player to be able to easily hold off the opponent and in England it is harder than in Spain. The referees allow too much of that contact and it is therefore more dangerous for the players. Each game I must remember psychologically that the match is going to be very hard, because there is not a match in which I don't take a blow.

9. When you anticipate a chance coming your way, but have little time to assess the situation, do you rely on instinct, guessing where the goalkeeper is going to be or do you prefer to look up and outwit the keeper, or like Baros do you have a favourite corner?

When you are in front of goal in a clear situation, a thousand things pass through your head, a thousand movements to do. I normally attempt to do the first that crosses my mind. I think that is always the correct one, since if you stop yourself to think about some of the other possibilities, the keeper will probably be so near to you that you can no longer do anything.

10. How many new first team players do the current squad think are going to join the club over the summer? One or two, or far more than that?

I think more than two or three players. This season we have had many injuries and we have to be prepared in case it happens again. If we consider that furthermore there are players who are out of contract and players who might be leaving, I think there will be between three or four.

11. You obviously have a lot of respect for and knowledge of Rafael Benitez due to previous working relationships, and he has quickly established himself as an iconic figure in Liverpool fans' eyes. Having worked under a fair few managers, what is it that sets Rafa apart from all of the others ?

Rafa is a trainer who works on all the aspects of football. That means that he doesn't work just on the technical and tactical but furthermore the psychological aspect: the good atmosphere in dressing room, and the wellbeing of the player.  What do I mean by that? Simply that he worries about the player and that he doesn't have any problems that can make them lose concentration when playing.

12. Who's the best player you've played with? Why?

Ronaldinho, is the player who has 10/10 for excellence.  He has everything, quality, goalscoring, a very good physical aspect and his head totally OK. With this I mean, that he knows that much people pay attention to him as example and as such he must have an exemplary behaviour on and off the field, and he does this.

13. What did you say to Rio Ferdinand after that foul?

Hahahaha.  Nothing! Rio Ferdinand said nothing to me, it was an invention of the press. Simply I said that it looked like meaning that to me cause of the way that he looked at me after the foul, but he did not say anything to me.

14. What is the team spirit like - comparing when you first arrived to now?

I think that the team, bit by bit, has realised that we can beat any rival, and that looking to next season this is going to be very important, because it is going to give us the force to win more away, that is what we have needed this year to fight for the title.

15. What do you think are the main things our players need to improve on for next season?  What things has Rafa said we need to improve on? What should supporters look for in games?

The first aspect, I think that would be the subject of the winning mentality. That is to go to away games and feel the same confidence as at home, with which you have to think, if I cannot win, I can not lose. This year we have not drawn many matches, and in the end we need those points. Mister (Rafa) insists much on that aspect. Against Manchester City for example it should not have been possible to lose, and even less in injury time. Things like those are in which the fans must notice a change; not to be sad for one game lost or drawn but to say, we have not played well, but we took a point.

16. Are Rafa's tactics complicated or difficult to understand?

It is not complicated, but he is very meticulous at working at them. He knows that it is the day to day work that produces a team that ends up playing automatically from memory. For that reason we work almost every day on them.

17. How do Rafa and his coaching staff analyse matches?

They have an spectacular system. They have a database in which when playing the video file of a game, they analyse each player with a thousand aspects. How many  metres you ran in each half, how many balls you lose, how many you recovered, the distance that you run sprinting, how many sprints you make, everything, all in detail.  To do this they record the match from different points in the ground. I think they have 8 cameras to record all movements of players.

18. How does the tactical and training regime differ here from Barcelona?

Well it is very different work, since Barcelona is a place where the image of football differs totally from the rest of the teams. In Barcelona the treatment of ball is the most important when working. The ball is present in all the sessions of training. The tactical aspect almost becomes secondary.  Here the ball also is important, but the positioning, movements and knowledge of the plays have a main part.

19. What language(s) does Rafa use in the changing room to him, Nando, Nunez, Xabi?

Always English. He doesn't like to speak Spanish there nor between us (the Spaniards). He wants a single group, not 3 or 4 groups. I think you can understand me.

-----------------

As soon as it is possible (for him and for me!) I'll post the next section of replies to your questions.

thanks mates

© Spanish Red 2005
« Last Edit: April 16, 2005, 01:06:43 pm by Rushian »
Sorry for my english, but i assure i´m trying to do well ;)

Offline rednewbie

• Legacy Fan
  • get involved!
Re: * The first subject of Luis Garcia RAWK interview: FOOTBALL *
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2005, 02:52:06 am »
fantastic well done and thank you for you hard work:wellin

please thank luis for taking the time to answer the questions :thumbup

Offline mgRED

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • Believe!
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2005, 03:00:42 am »
Great stuff!!!!  Thanks for doing this.. please let Luis knows that we appreciate him taking the time to do this and I really enjoy reading all his replies. 

Tell him he's a top bloke!!!!   :wave
"I'd won two titles and the UEFA Cup before I joined Liverpool and just because I've added one more trophy to that list, it doesn't mean my job is done. It's only just started." - Rafa Benitez

IN RAFA WE TRUST!!

Offline UNO

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2005, 03:02:59 am »
Thank you very very much, Spanish-Red. It's a very good and honest interview. I like Garcia even more now. The fact that Rafa uses 8 cameras to record the players during a match really surprises me. I don't think any poor performances can get away from him.

Offline MightyReds

• Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2005, 03:04:43 am »
Thanx spanish-red. Brilliant stuff.
"In my time at Anfield we always said we have the best two teams on Merseyside, Liverpool and Liverpool reserves" - Bill Shankly

Offline AnotherSpanishfan

• The Human Babelfish
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2005, 03:09:21 am »
Luis eres un fenómeno tio! Que sepas que los seguidores del Barça estamos contigo! Mucha suerte !

Many thanks Spanish-Red, great job.

Offline Trell

• Kopite
  • "Winning trophies has made me put on weight."
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2005, 03:10:32 am »

Spanish_Red  you are a Star  ;D

Thank you so much for doing this for us.

Please pass on my Thanks to Luis for providing the answers.

An extremely interesting read and a wonderful way to get to know something of the way he thinks.

It is nice to see your confidence is going up as you all play more games together. Believe me we are all rooting for you just as much when your away as at Anfield. Hehe maybe Rafa needs to record the Kop when we next play Chelsea and play it back to you all at full volume in the dressing room, before each away game and at half time.  ;D
Famous words of wisdom:

If you're in the penalty area and aren't quite sure what to do with the ball, stick it in the net and we'll discuss your options afterwards!

I always said we had the best two teams on Merseyside... Liverpool and Liverpool Reserves.

Offline JonnyCigarettes®

• Airfix salesman (rumoured to be training a secret wankfest monkey arsegravy army)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty fly for a white guy
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2005, 03:11:54 am »
Amazing insight.

Well done, mate.
Johnny Sack: 200 grand for insulting my wife. What's next, Carmine, he gets to fuck her for a million?

Carmine: He wants to fuck her?

Johnny Sack: I'm making a point.

Offline seawa

• will do anything for a hob nob
  • Kopite
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2005, 03:32:50 am »
Fantastic - muchas gracias!

Offline Benitude

• Main Stander
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2005, 03:33:00 am »
Always interesting to read what is inside the players heads.

Thanks Luis and SR.  Keep up the top work.

Offline cakmin

• Estoy aburrido
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • La Ostra
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2005, 03:36:10 am »
Spanish-Red you are a Legend! Many thanks, I enjoy the 'interview'. :wellin
In regard of that 'greetings' from Rio Ferdinand, it must be Steve Hunter who invented it.

Offline Lanky

• Anny Roader
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2005, 05:33:24 am »
Always enjoyed reading the site but have never posted anything.  I just had to say thankyou to Spanish red and Luis though.  Fascinating.  Can`t wait for the next installment.
Martin Skrtel does not sleep. He waits.

Offline Kinch

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2005, 06:01:00 am »
Gracias Spanish Red y Luis, compran algunas bebidas para ustedes mismos y me envian la cuenta!
"Since the beginning of the world you have fought against our gentle power with your coarse weakness; and when you triumph over us for an hour, you croak and clamour merrily like the frogs of the water. And when we conquer you and subdue you for an age, we remain as silent giants."

Offline LFC #1

• Main Stander
  • The Rafa Revolution!
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2005, 06:12:11 am »
cheers Spanish-Red, what a legend Luis is, taking his time to answer our questions, brilliant!    :)   

Offline vitch

• Kopite
  • Pikine Guinaw Rail
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2005, 06:25:05 am »
Amazing article. I can't praise you enough Spanish-Red!

Down with Slysport, this is what journalism is all about. :clap:
Fergies so purple i had to turn down the contrast on the tv.

Offline SMD

• Shit streamer. Can't be found by drive man.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2005, 06:44:00 am »
Thanks a million, Spanish Red. Is it still too late to get Luis to post on RAWK?  ;D
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

Offline wyatt

• Boys Pen
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2005, 07:05:02 am »
Wonderful stuff.

So the Rio Ferdinand "Welcome to the Premier League" was an invention of the press?

Not surprised to see that Luis appreciates having a first-rate right-back playing behind him. I think Stevie F. would be many people's choice for surprise of the season.

Offline Red in Korea

• Claims to be from Korea but we're not convinced...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2005, 07:12:20 am »
Fantastic stuff. This is what makes RAWK the best  :scarf
"What is called for is dignity. We need to set an example." Kenny Dalglish

Offline nige

• RAWK Poet Laureate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2005, 08:15:30 am »
Many thanks Spanish Red & Luis  :D for the time & trouble you have taken !

Offline Armin

• Reformed RAWK Traitor
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm up on the pavement
  • Super Title: Keep off the Grass!
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2005, 08:21:11 am »
First all, excuse me once again for the translation. Im sure that is a poor translation but i think u can understand everything.
It´s a mixed translation between google and me, so...  :'(  :wave

In the end, i hope u can enjoy it.

Luis was writing this afternoon for an hour or more.
I was filtering and translatign for 2h and a half, so....here is the first chapter ;)

Great stuff SR, muchas gracias to you and Luis.  This is definite front page material, when you post the second part I can stitch them together and put it up there.

Well, I don't know what it is, but there's definitely something going on upstairs

Offline D🐶G

• Sworn enemy of C🙀T
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2005, 08:23:46 am »
Thanks for that. :)
Twitter - @ElmDag - 19 League Titles • 8 FA Cups • 9 Football League Cups • 16 FA Charity Shields • 6 UEFA European Cups • 3 UEFA Cups • 4 UEFA European Super Cups • 1 FIFA Club World Cup

Offline Armin

• Reformed RAWK Traitor
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm up on the pavement
  • Super Title: Keep off the Grass!
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2005, 08:24:13 am »
Now at those bad moments attempt to maintain a level of five until obtaining all the confidence and returning to give the 9.

This is something I wish some of our fans could understand. 
Well, I don't know what it is, but there's definitely something going on upstairs

Offline gramck24

• Tryathlete
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2005, 08:44:50 am »
Cheers for that Spanish-Red. Keep up the good work.  :wellin

:wave

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Semper in excremento, sole profundum qui variat.
  • Super Title: Coming soon! Official Launch May 2008
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2005, 08:58:23 am »
Thanks spanish red - and thanks to luis for taking the time to talk to the supporters. Tell him to keep doing what he's doing!
I'm no longer on RAWK, but if you need to contact me about anything, you can email me on nigelmorrison@connectfree.co.uk

Offline jfpower

• Legacy Fan
  • Yanks out!
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2005, 09:04:42 am »
Thanks for the article. Looking forward to the 2nd installment.

Impressed by your translation - I wish I could speak a second language that well.

Offline jiky

• Rafa's monkey shoulder
  • Legacy Fan
  • i think i want to die.someone shoot me
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2005, 09:09:48 am »
Garcia the Great!!!!!
He even smiled there for a second
im off to switzerland,baby. Wanna assist?

Offline sydney_gal

• descended from pomegranates
  • Legacy Fan
  • Evil Twin
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2005, 09:14:44 am »
Awesome!!

Good read.. ta

"you've gotta fight for every dream cause who's to know which one you let go, would have made you complete.."

Offline mjv

• Main Stander
  • 5 times baby, 5 times!!!
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2005, 09:23:38 am »
a very interesting read and very informative

cheers. :)

Offline laddo

• Forum Perv
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2005, 09:56:42 am »
Great read, thanks.

Offline hoobastanker

• Kopite
  • Ye dirty halien Ye
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2005, 10:01:11 am »
Thank You Spanish Red, for that insight!

Looking forward to the next one already  :)
Xabi for Ireland

Offline Andy-oh-six

• Legacy Fan
  • Mr Susan in 'the world of mirrors'...
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2005, 10:05:06 am »
cheers, SR. And many thanks LG for the time to answer the questions. Very much appreciated  :)
Internet terrorist

Offline Redlady

• Fantasy Football Queen
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2005, 10:11:08 am »
Thank you very much Spanish-Red and Luis for that  :wave

Really interesting read, and as well as hearing about Luis, it's good to get a bit of an insight into Rafa too. Found number 17 particularly interesting.

Offline redforlife

• For future reference an equals sign looks like this: =
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We Are Liverpool
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2005, 10:18:14 am »
Thanks very much for the time you took to do it, and thanks to Senor Garcia too.

Looking forward to the secong lot already
Didi Hamann

In the corridors and changing rooms of Anfield I met many people - the great, the talented, the legendary.  I know that I only met one genius.  He was a small, smiling man with a neatly clipped beard.  His name was Rafael Benitez.

Offline fudge

• RAWK Gaylord
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm a swine, its my nature"
    • Fat man dancing
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2005, 10:18:20 am »
Thats fucking ace, class all round.
Rubber Dinghy Rapids....

Offline wembley78

• Main Stander
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2005, 10:19:49 am »
Thanks to both of you for that.  Brilliant stuff   :wellin

Offline sangria hero

• Main Stander
  • In love with Robbie Fowler.
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2005, 10:22:01 am »
Feels great to finally find out what a player really, truthfully thinks.

Great job.  :)
"He's been knocking the goals in during training already, it's clear that when it comes to scoring goals he's a natural." -Rafa

Dang it Rafa, I'm excited enough already.

Offline Joe C

• Kopite
  • use your head hicks
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2005, 10:22:34 am »
Yeah cheers spanish red and Luis!
RTK

Offline Not worthy

• Anny Roader
  • Raaj Carragher Khalsa
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2005, 10:25:14 am »
Thanks for all your hard work and Luis for taking the time out for us, it is very much appreciated

Offline Life

• goes on.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2005, 10:26:48 am »
Thanks a lot - that Luis fella is consantly going up in my estimation.
"Why should they be used in any other way? It wouldn'a be fair for one thing. Natural ability is far too precious tae be messed about wi'."

Offline capt k

• aaaaaaaavemaaaaaaaaan!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • id rather be fishing
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2005, 10:30:51 am »
Luis eres un fenómeno tio! Que sepas que los seguidores del Barça estamos contigo! Mucha suerte !

OY......

If Rafa wont tolerate it nor shall we.... :no

Only messin :wave

Spanish. a huge thanks for that pal ;)
JFT 96