Author Topic: The Wine Thread  (Read 154683 times)

Offline Gus 1855

• GusMcLean is a direct descendent of wee Jimmy the Jock McSporran, son of Ally McLeod, voted best Flower of Scotland performer 2003. Changed name in hope of attracting Bridesmaid but he's still Scottish as a Glaswegian deep fried Haggis
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Wine Thread
« Reply #200 on: November 1, 2004, 07:33:25 pm »
Drinking a 2000 Boisset Carianne Cotes De Rhone

Really dissapointing, may improve once warmer.
It looks to me as if we have signed another 'average' player. I'll hold back my complete opinion until I see the lad play

Offline Jonathan Hall ☆☆☆☆☆☆

• The name's Hall... Jonathan Hall. aka DangerPaddy. Olores de cebollas. Carly Cole Stalker. Likes to drink at Bar Fanny.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tapas y Cerveza y vino tinto!
« Reply #201 on: November 1, 2004, 07:49:17 pm »
In less than 48hrs i'll be drinking vino tinto in Galicia.
Right which bastards eaten me Tapas?

http://hfdinfo.com/digital/

Offline hooded claw

• Foiled by the Anthill Mob
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #202 on: November 1, 2004, 07:51:56 pm »
In less than 48hrs i'll be drinking vino tinto in Galicia.

Do you fancy swapping lives for a week? ;)

• The name's Hall... Jonathan Hall. aka DangerPaddy. Olores de cebollas. Carly Cole Stalker. Likes to drink at Bar Fanny.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #203 on: November 1, 2004, 07:54:38 pm »

Do you fancy swapping lives for a week? ;)

Errrrrrrr...................................................  :upyours  ;D

Offline Tetti

• RAWK Agony Aunt. Has a thing for gay singers...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • When you walk....
« Reply #204 on: November 1, 2004, 07:59:55 pm »
Trying out a Cono Sur Pinot Noir
Never give up

Offline Tetti

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • When you walk....
« Reply #205 on: November 11, 2004, 08:32:45 pm »
Popped into Waitrose tonight to get a loaf and some milk and came out with a bottle each of :

Beaujolais-Villages 2002/03 Louis Jadot,
Errazuriz Estate Cabernet Sauvignon 2001/02 Aconcagua Valley
Hardys Crest Cabernet/Shiraz/Merlot 2002/03 SE Australia,

all at bargain / reduced prices.  The Hardy's has been opened and is awful  :(

will leave it an hour and try again
Never give up

Offline Gus 1855

• GusMcLean is a direct descendent of wee Jimmy the Jock McSporran, son of Ally McLeod, voted best Flower of Scotland performer 2003. Changed name in hope of attracting Bridesmaid but he's still Scottish as a Glaswegian deep fried Haggis
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #206 on: November 11, 2004, 10:07:30 pm »
Jadot is normally quite good, if over-priced.
It looks to me as if we have signed another 'average' player. I'll hold back my complete opinion until I see the lad play

Offline Tetti

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • When you walk....
« Reply #207 on: November 11, 2004, 10:09:49 pm »
Jadot is normally quite good, if over-priced.

Fiverish
Never give up

Offline Ian H

• Kopite
« Reply #208 on: November 12, 2004, 01:02:44 pm »
Waitrose also had the canaletto primitivo knocked down to £4 , good value at that price.
more lurking than posting

Offline Gus 1855

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #209 on: November 15, 2004, 10:43:15 pm »
BOLLOCKS!

My dad's done it again!

Got a 2000 Labarac Medoc today to lay down.

Dad just opened it!

:no

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #210 on: November 15, 2004, 10:45:54 pm »
 ;D

Move the fucker

Offline Gus 1855

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: November 15, 2004, 10:53:48 pm »
;D

Move the fucker

It's not fucking funny...  ;D

Funny thing was I was discussing where to put the wines I want laid down earlier this evening. Just moving the job lot as we speak! He's not touching them ever again!

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #212 on: November 15, 2004, 10:55:16 pm »
Might buy a bottle or two next week in Nice or wherever. I'm sure Terri will have you tied to the local wine shop.

Offline Gus 1855

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #213 on: November 15, 2004, 10:56:51 pm »
I'm sure Terri will have you tied to the local wine shop.

I'm sure i'll cope!

I'm looking forward to liberating, ok buying, a few bottles myself!

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #214 on: November 15, 2004, 10:57:48 pm »
Not the only one.

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #215 on: November 21, 2004, 04:52:59 pm »
Will be getting some practice in tonight, then we need Gus to take us shopping in Nice  ;D

Offline Gus 1855

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #216 on: November 21, 2004, 06:50:06 pm »
Will be getting some practice in tonight, then we need Gus to take us shopping in Nice ;D

Look forward to it!   :wave

Trying to figure out the best way to carry copious quantities of wine back  ???

My dilema is this....

Due to my flight being tuesday afternoon, I want to just take hand luggage there, so i can get out of the airport and start drinking pronto. BUT. I need enough space and dunnage to take wine back. The only thing i can think of is to buy a bag out there to bring back in the planes hold.

How much are bags these days?

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: November 21, 2004, 07:29:25 pm »
Find a bag you can fold up in yer hand luggage, then transfer yer stuff on way back into that, leaving the hand luggage bag empty.

Offline Tetti

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • When you walk....
« Reply #218 on: November 21, 2004, 08:05:57 pm »
Find a bag you can fold up in yer hand luggage, then transfer yer stuff on way back into that, leaving the hand luggage bag empty.

For once, I agree
Never give up

Offline Gus 1855

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #219 on: November 25, 2004, 09:08:15 pm »
Found a little beaut of a shop in Nice, bought a fair few bottles!

Keeping them as far away from Dad's eyes as feasibly possible! Ok now he is back in scotland for the time being!

Sez_20

« Reply #220 on: November 25, 2004, 10:18:51 pm »
Found a little beaut of a shop in Nice, bought a fair few bottles!

Found a nice little shop in Nice too... wonder if it was the same one? just up from the palais de justice, past that wayne's bar, on the right? Bought a few nice bottles there myself... then had to lug them back home! Hope its worth it when they get opened!

Offline Gus 1855

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: November 25, 2004, 10:26:42 pm »
Found a nice little shop in Nice too... wonder if it was the same one? just up from the palais de justice, past that wayne's bar, on the right? Bought a few nice bottles there myself... then had to lug them back home! Hope its worth it when they get opened!

:wave

The one i went to was near-ish to that square, towards the port.

On a corner? 30ish year old bloke running it, very twee???

What did you get out of interest.

My purchases were:

1996 Chateau Malescasse
2000 Chateau Cordet
1995 Chateau Maicaillou
And some random Cahors which the guy conned me into buying. He started rabbiting on about what good value it was, and asked if i wanted to try it (the gouter word he used, NOT acheter!!!) and proceeded to whack it on my credit card, I was quite looking forward to having a little taste!  ::)

Tempted by the 1959 Latour, but i resisted the temptation to cripple by bank manger with the 1500€ tab!

Sez_20

« Reply #222 on: November 25, 2004, 11:03:07 pm »
nah don't think it was the same shop.. yes towards the port but close to the square... no shop front, just like a walk in place. Anyway, you're obviously much more of a wine fan than me.. I'll drink anything that's not vinegar! I'm not into reds so I picked up a couple of half decent bottles of white, as advised by the shop owner! Amongst them is a bottle of petit chablis which has some 'medaille d'or' that he was waffling on about..so I took my chances.

My mate J, lugged back a huge box full of exciting bottles red and white... his credit card bill was obviously much more than mine! So I'll be going round to scrounge when he opens them!

By the way, what is a "twee" person?  ???

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #223 on: November 25, 2004, 11:10:07 pm »
Was that the one nigh on next to the opera house. i.e. the one Terri and i didn't go in  :-\

Offline Gus 1855

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #224 on: November 25, 2004, 11:13:50 pm »
Petit Chablis is an area not far from proper Chablis that has fewr of the restrictions on it's production. Generally the Chablis that doesn't make the grade as appelation controlee Chablis is marked Petit Chablis, makes no difference really. It is a very stupid law that France has in it's wine classification, in fact ammusingly so. The award is the gold medal in the WSET awards that are presented each year, each region has a gold,silver, bronze, many commended and finalist wines. The Gold Medal is a good sign, but not a guarantee that you will like it of course.

I didn't mean the bloke was twee, just the shop.

Sez_20

« Reply #225 on: November 25, 2004, 11:32:22 pm »
I didn't mean the bloke was twee, just the shop.
:-\ still...what is "twee"?!

Thanks for the chablis info..will let you know what I think!

Offline Gus 1855

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: November 26, 2004, 12:00:44 am »
As in "ye olde" style.

For example a twee scotsman would be in a kilt smoking a pipe, and playing bagpipes.
A twee wine shop, being one that is dark and damp, lots of random wooden boxes, nothing vaguely pertaining to the modern day.

Sez_20

« Reply #227 on: November 26, 2004, 12:07:23 am »
..ahh should have looked it up! Well it could have been the same one based upon that description! Unless of course, there were 2 twee shops in Nice!  :P

Anyway, where you one of the two guys I met up with when I met Graeme and Rhi in Monaco? When we went on the drinks hunt? Also think I saw you at the airport today, I was getting the Liverpool flight at 4.50pm ish...

Offline Gus 1855

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #228 on: November 30, 2004, 11:10:37 pm »
Indeed it was.

At the airport too, hungover as a thing that is very hungover, but  :-\

As far as wine goes...

...just opened a bottle of 2001 Duboeuf Moulin-a-vent, very dissapointing, but typically over-priced.

Offline patrick

• Main Stander
  • ĦQue maravilla, Sevilla!
« Reply #229 on: December 1, 2004, 07:58:07 am »
if you're into Spanish wine try this:

Coma Vella 2001

at 15 euros a bottle - it's the best you'll get at that price this month. Highly recommended by moi. (And I know what I'm talking about re Spanish wines).
"How long have I been on?" Dean Martin

Offline Gus 1855

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #230 on: December 1, 2004, 09:02:50 am »
if you're into Spanish wine try this:

Coma Vella 2001

at 15 euros a bottle - it's the best you'll get at that price this month. Highly recommended by moi. (And I know what I'm talking about re Spanish wines).

a) Where is it from in Spain?
b) Where can I get it?

Offline IrishRed

• Driven but can't drive...
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 96
« Reply #231 on: December 1, 2004, 11:59:39 am »
Anyway, where you one of the two guys I met up with when I met Graeme and Rhi in Monaco? When we went on the drinks hunt?

he certainly was

actually very reserved at that point - most likely due to no immediate alcohol consumption

LFC SHOULD NEVER PLAY ON THE 15TH APRIL, NOT THIS YEAR, NEXT YEAR OR ANY OTHER YEAR

Justice

Offline Gus 1855

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: December 1, 2004, 02:39:16 pm »
he certainly was

actually very reserved at that point - most likely due to no immediate alcohol consumption

Not to mention the fact I hadn't had a beer for a week previously! Bastard Monacan (it that right) bar not giving me the amber nectar!

Offline Gus 1855

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #233 on: December 6, 2004, 10:17:16 pm »
Drinking Lindemans 2002 Bog Standard Shiraz, £4.99 at Unwins. Awesome value for a damn tasty wine. Don't get fobbed off by the 2001, it was rank!

Offline Gus 1855

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #234 on: December 19, 2004, 09:45:35 pm »
By the way one perhaps for Terri if my memory serves me correct.

Tesco have just bought out thier 2003 Tesco Finest Malbec Reserve. Reduced from £7.99 to £5.99.

Very very impressive, but MUST be at room temp at least.

Offline Tetti

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • When you walk....
« Reply #235 on: December 19, 2004, 10:00:22 pm »
By the way one perhaps for Terri if my memory serves me correct.

Tesco have just bought out thier 2003 Tesco Finest Malbec Reserve. Reduced from £7.99 to £5.99.

Very very impressive, but MUST be at room temp at least.

bugger, just finished my order to them.  Wil have to drop in to get some. Branching out tonight with an Oyster Bay Sauvignon. Nice and light  :)
Never give up

Offline Gus 1855

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #236 on: December 19, 2004, 10:06:51 pm »
bugger, just finished my order to them. Wil have to drop in to get some. Branching out tonight with an Oyster Bay Sauvignon. Nice and light :)

That is so so good, for the money there are few better NZ Sauvs, although if you can get it 2000 Hawksbridge Sauvingnon Blanc is a cracker. Revelstokes in Putney are the only place i suspect it can be bought retail, mainly sold to Le Caprice and The Ivy, except for my private stash!  ;)

Offline Tetti

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • When you walk....
« Reply #237 on: December 19, 2004, 10:12:25 pm »
That is so so good, for the money there are few better NZ Sauvs

I have restocked already after tasting the first bottle  8)
Never give up

Offline Gus 1855

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #238 on: December 19, 2004, 10:22:05 pm »
Bingo! http://www.revelstoke.co.uk/

they have the 2003/4, which I have not tasted, but must be good!

Offline Gus 1855

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #239 on: December 19, 2004, 10:26:15 pm »
I have restocked already after tasting the first bottle 8)

Excellent!

When I get this months salary, I think a wee order is on the cards too!