Author Topic: Hvar Island, Croatia  (Read 3513 times)

Online J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Hvar Island, Croatia
« on: April 22, 2017, 01:20:52 pm »
I've won a holiday through Heart radio to Hvar Island in Croatia, never been before and Croatia isn't somewhere I've ever looked into travelling to.

Was wondering if anyone's ever been to the island and could give me some advice and what the do's and don't's are, some things to see and do ect.

We're going to try and do the game of thrones tour but apart from that, we have no idea what else there is to do.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Re: Hvar Island, Croatia
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2017, 03:11:59 pm »
I've won a holiday through Heart radio to Hvar Island in Croatia, never been before and Croatia isn't somewhere I've ever looked into travelling to.

Was wondering if anyone's ever been to the island and could give me some advice and what the do's and don't's are, some things to see and do ect.

We're going to try and do the game of thrones tour but apart from that, we have no idea what else there is to do.

Commiserations for listening to Heart.

Been there on a day trip from the mainland but couldn't tell you much. The neighbouring island of Bracelet has a great beach in a place called Bol.

It's all beautiful round there but fairly quiet I'd say. Nice little ports,  usually all stony beaches bit really nice clear blue sea. Enjoy.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2017, 03:25:20 pm »

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2017, 03:55:10 pm »
I'm hoping to do Zagreb in the summer.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2017, 07:24:01 pm »

Is 'we're' you and your mate or you and your gf J?  It might make a difference to suggestions :)

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2017, 08:00:12 pm »
Went to Pag in 2010, weather was great the country was beautiful but it lacked nightlife.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarįs Solo.
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2017, 08:04:15 pm »
Commiserations for listening to Heart.

Been there on a day trip from the mainland but couldn't tell you much. The neighbouring island of Bracelet has a great beach in a place called Bol.

It's all beautiful round there but fairly quiet I'd say. Nice little ports,  usually all stony beaches bit really nice clear blue sea. Enjoy.

Gotta love predictive text! ;D

Congrats on the competition win, Croatia is one of my favourite places in the world. Haven't been to Hvar though I'm afraid but all the islands are stunning.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2017, 08:15:32 pm »
Gotta love predictive text! ;D

Congrats on the competition win, Croatia is one of my favourite places in the world. Haven't been to Hvar though I'm afraid but all the islands are stunning.

Ha, wristy business relying on your phone not to mess things up.

Online J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2017, 09:12:27 pm »
Is 'we're' you and your mate or you and your gf J?  It might make a difference to suggestions :)

Me and the Gf mate, very good point that! ;D

Cheers for the info everyone, any laws I need to be aware of before travelling with the missus? I know the duct tape and body bag is a no go already.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2017, 09:14:57 pm »

Cheers for the info everyone, any laws I need to be aware of

Watch out for Brian, he throws plates.

Offline androulla

• aka little monkey
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2017, 11:53:20 pm »

How lovely is that!

Hope you both have a wonderful time there 😃

Heard good reviews about Croatia in general. Enjoy!

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2017, 12:49:42 am »
Hvar is fucking amazing. With a boat ride, you can get to Makarska within an hour or so, and the night life is top notch.

I haven't been there in over ten years, so I can hardly remember or tell you where to go at this point. However you'll have a blast definetly, and pretty much anywhere on the coast of Croatia you'll have a tremendous time. Enjoy

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2017, 12:51:03 am »
Hvar is fucking amazing. With a boat ride, you can get to Makarska within an hour or so, and the night life is top notch.

I haven't been there in over ten years, so I can hardly remember or tell you where to go at this point. However you'll have a blast definetly, and pretty much anywhere on the coast of Croatia you'll have a tremendous time. Enjoy

That's where I stayed, in the shadow of some massive mountain, beautiful place.

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2017, 12:53:57 am »
That's where I stayed, in the shadow of some massive mountain, beautiful place.

I have some family there, and in a small town called Zivogosce, which is about 30 minutes away from Makarska. Ah yes Mount Biokovo, runs through there and the entire Makarska riveira, highest mountain in the country. Lovely place

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2017, 12:58:23 am »
I have some family there, and in a small town called Zivogosce, which is about 30 minutes away from Makarska. Ah yes Mount Biokovo, runs through there and the entire Makarska riveira, highest mountain in the country. Lovely place

That's the one. Nicked the pic off the Internet, I'm sure I managed  to take one almost as good!

Offline ThepepeReina

• Space Cadet with a monoflatulent other half
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2017, 01:17:52 am »
Its sick you'll love it. rent a boat out and explore around it. Few pub crawls to get drunk on, but the better nightlife (and equally stunning) is split, which is about 30-40 minutes away via speedboat. We did 2 nights there 3 in hvar and 1 in zadar which was perfect.
Gamertag - GOUGHYlegend
I aint got time to bleed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2017, 01:23:08 am »
Its sick you'll love it. rent a boat out and explore around it. Few pub crawls to get drunk on, but the better nightlife (and equally stunning) is split, which is about 30-40 minutes away via speedboat. We did 2 nights there 3 in hvar and 1 in zadar which was perfect.

Good call on Split, forgot about it. You have plethora of options, and every one of them is quality. The pair of you won't be bored, for sure.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2017, 01:23:31 am »
That's the one. Nicked the pic off the Internet, I'm sure I managed  to take one almost as good!

Must go back, it's been far too long

Offline Stubbins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2017, 12:51:54 pm »
In the Times travel supplement last week, they described Hvar Town as a cross between St Tropez and Ibiza Town.

We went for the day last year during a holiday in Split (ringing endorsement for Split, going back in September). Thought Hvar was great, so much so that we considered spending a few nights in Hvar and a few in Split this time round.

Hvar Town was busy in the height of Summer, with the numbers swelling with the arrival of the ferries from Split and the neighbouring islands. Very cosmopolitan with all different nationalities. Wealthy Russians and a good number of Italians who travel across from Ancona by ferry.

Stari Grad is the capital of the Island I think. Lot quieter and laid back than Hvar Town and only 20 minutes away by bus. Needed to get there to get the evening ferry back to Split.

Great Island, you'll love it.

Online J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2017, 08:17:15 pm »
First day here today and the place is outstanding!

From the very italian feel of the architecture, the beautifully clean streets, the friendly people and the lovely food, truly a place to retire in one day.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2017, 08:39:30 pm »

From the very italian feel of the architecture, the beautifully clean streets, the friendly people and the lovely food, truly a place to retire in one day.

Glad you're enjoying it mate

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2017, 07:35:01 pm »
Just asking, but I've got four days in Zagreb coming up in June and was thinking of getting £100's worth of Kunas.  Will that be enough?  How expensive is stuff in Croatia?

Popcorn's Art

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2017, 02:10:29 am »
Just asking, but I've got four days in Zagreb coming up in June and was thinking of getting £100's worth of Kunas.  Will that be enough?  How expensive is stuff in Croatia?

That's probably not enough mate. Croatia has become more expensive since joining the EU, particularly Zagreb. Four days worth of eating,drinking, will cost you more than a 100 quid just to be on the safe side.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2017, 01:57:16 pm »
That's probably not enough mate. Croatia has become more expensive since joining the EU, particularly Zagreb. Four days worth of eating,drinking, will cost you more than a 100 quid just to be on the safe side.

Cheers.  I was going to take some sterling as well, as apparently they accept that, but I might take £150 worth of Kunas and less sterling. :)

Mind you, I'm staying with a friend and her bf, who are planning to use their spare bedroom for an air bnb so I might just need to give them some money for food and beer. ;)

Popcorn's Art

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2017, 02:23:51 pm »

Croatia was one of the more expensive countries, prior to joining the Euro I always thought. Remember ending up in Split for a few days in '05 as I travelled around the former Yugoslav states and ending up in a bar overlooking the sea and it costing 10 quid for a couple of drinks even then, which was about 4 days' budget for me at the time ;D

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2017, 08:51:16 pm »
I spent £1100 in Croatia in 7 days.

Offline jason67

• He likes the 15cm morning glory boy!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2017, 08:57:02 pm »
I spent 776 in Croatia in 6 days.
At last the TRUTH 26th April 2016

Still don't buy the s*n.

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2017, 08:58:09 pm »
I spent 776 in Croatia in 6 days.

I spent £15 in the chippy last night.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2017, 11:54:51 am »

any travelers tips would be appreciated mate....going to a wedding there next year!  8)
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Online Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2017, 04:11:45 pm »
Just came back from there, amazing place.

Also Korcula next door is incredible, really laid back.

Some tips for Hvar... if renting a scooter or boat I used Antonio rent, the guy Juri is as sound as they come an everything spot on. Took a ride around the island then rented a boat from him the next day all for about £60, was well worth it though.

There's a restaurant called dalmatino, probably best service I've had anywhere.

If you like wine go to Tomic winery in Jelsa, the wines are great and nearby fishing villages are really nice, especially after a few glasses!

I'd probably try to avoid high season as I heard it can get a bit packed and it would be a lot different, so April-june, September-October probably best times to go if you can.

Only place I didn't like so much was Dubrovnik as its crazy touristic, much preferred Split, but everyone is different and although I loved Korcula some would find it a bit quiet.

The people in Croatia are genuinely some of the nicest I've met anywhere in the world, also around all these parts of Dalmatia it is incredibly safe.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2017, 05:43:36 pm »
Echo the friendliness part of it. I liked Dubrovnik but have to admit I was just a daytripper contributing to the business!  We ducked out of the tours and just wandered the back streets and in the walls by ourselves. Beautiful place but agreed, definitely very busy in peak season (we went in July).

Mate from work is flying to Split for a stag this weekend. Quite jealous now!

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2017, 08:57:44 pm »

Well I wont be spending that.  mostly because I don't have it.  ;D

Like I said though, I'm staying with a friend so I don't have to worry about a hotel - just food and ale probably.  I'll ask her opinion though, just to be safe. :)

Popcorn's Art