Author Topic: Is WinXP still worth it?  (Read 1367 times)

Offline Skidder.

• Minster. Aka The Censored Baron XII. I remember watching that as a skid!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
Is WinXP still worth it?
« on: April 12, 2017, 02:16:38 pm »

Long story short, looking to go back to XP as primary operating system - why? Out of all the OS's that I have used, XP has always been the best performing with less hog on resources.

Other options I was thinking was to install Ubuntu and create a Virtual XP environment.

Anyone else still actively running XP?
Continually on 11,420.

Offline WhoHe

• Legacy Fan
Re: Is WinXP still worth it?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2017, 02:26:01 pm »
I had XP on a laptop that I had until recently and it was fine, there is no official support, bug fixes or security updates anymore. I have Windows 10 and for me it has been shit so if you are happy on xp then go for it as you can always do the other options later.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2017, 03:07:11 pm »
http://www.computerworld.com/article/2488674/malware-vulnerabilities/hackers-find-first-post-retirement-windows-xp-related-vulnerability.html
http://www.computerworld.com/article/2489407/malware-vulnerabilities/microsoft-sticks-to-vow--leaves-xp-exposed-to-ongoing-attacks.html

Perhaps not then - I assume a good firewall is no good option.

Half of me wants to believe that this is Microsoft scare-mongering... they've been trying to get people off of XP for years; either way, can't ignore that information like.
Continually on 11,420.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2017, 03:15:31 pm »
Perhaps not then - I assume a good firewall is no good option.

Half of me wants to believe that this is Microsoft scare-mongering... they've been trying to get people off of XP for years; either way, can't ignore that information like.

Unpatched vulnerabilities are a bit too scary for my taste.

I would suggest going the Linux route, you could always use something like this:

http://segfault.linuxmint.com/2015/08/cinnxp-makes-cinnamon-look-like-windows-xp/

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2017, 03:31:41 pm »
Unpatched vulnerabilities are a bit too scary for my taste.

I would suggest going the Linux route, you could always use something like this:

http://segfault.linuxmint.com/2015/08/cinnxp-makes-cinnamon-look-like-windows-xp/

But then, I might as well just go with Linux and a VM with XP in it.
Continually on 11,420.

Online Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2017, 03:43:19 pm »
What's wrong with 7 or 8.1?

I've found XP to be a headache when I've used it recently, I can't see any sane reason to use it.
:D

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2017, 03:47:21 pm »
What's wrong with 7 or 8.1?

I've found XP to be a headache when I've used it recently, I can't see any sane reason to use it.

Yeah, was just chatting to my friend over Skype and he said something similar - might just install 10 and run it in a VM.

Need to do some desktop recording, kind of wanted a stripped down OS to get more FPS (and for editing).

Continually on 11,420.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2017, 04:54:25 pm »
It's not your operating system. It'll be you computer specs if you are finding 7,8 or 10 sluggish.

Going back to XP means that DirectX 9 will be your limit. Any program that requires 10 or above either won't run, or won't run properly.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2017, 07:23:32 pm »
If you have a PC/Laptop that can only run XP, then you are better off installing Linux on it (Plenty to choose from too)
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2017, 08:46:07 pm »
No.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2017, 09:10:37 am »
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline BeingJohnMarkovic

• Anny Roader
  • Its All In The Game
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2017, 09:36:57 pm »
Long story short, looking to go back to XP as primary operating system - why? Out of all the OS's that I have used, XP has always been the best performing with less hog on resources.

Other options I was thinking was to install Ubuntu and create a Virtual XP environment.

Anyone else still actively running XP?

That really would not be at all advisable. XP hasn't had any security updates for bang on 3 years now - also, Google, Mozilla and most other third-party vendors have dropped support for their products on XP. For example, Google Chrome only runs up to about version 49 on XP - it's up to version 57 now.

It would make absolutely no sense to go back to it at this stage. If your hardware is old and you need something usable, consider a lightweight Linux distribution. Windows XP would be dangerous to use on the Internet these days, if you value your personal privacy.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 09:39:17 pm by BeingJohnMarkovic »
It ain't what you takin', it's who you takin' from, ya feel me? How you expect to run with the wolves come night when you spend all day sparring with the puppies?