Author Topic: Liverpool 1967-2017 50 Summers of Love  (Read 1208 times)

Offline Mag Hull

• Lanca Shire
  • Kopite
  • Celebrating National Shite Day since 1968
Get your fucking hedge cut!!!!

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
Re: Liverpool 1967-2017 50 Summers of Love
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2017, 10:28:42 am »
I'm not sure this shouldn't be in the Arl Arse thread (as I'm now actually 64) but I have vivid memories of hearing Sgt Pepper in my mates back garden played on a portable Dansette record player. His older hippy brother, whose musical tastes were obscure blues artists and blues influenced groups like Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac, was starting to get into pyschedelic music.

We were 14 year old soul boys who thought the Beatles were old hat and pyschedelia was for southern softies. Sergeant Pepper changed that. A Day in the Life still sends shivers down my spine but even listening to it through my Audio Innovations system isn't a patch on hearing it on an early June day in 1967.

At 14 the world is just about to become your oyster girls, music,football, smell of cut grass when doing school exams, first Chinese meal at the Kong Nam in Lord Street. Sergeant Pepper was the start of that journey and I'm glad I'm still around to celebrate its 50th.

Liverpool's season didn't go so well. I went to Burnley away on the 18th March expecting 2 points and a run of results to retain the League title. We lost 1-0, my banner was "lost" by the police and we only won 2 of the remaining 11 games, finishing a disappointing 5th. United 1st but they weren't the main rivals, Leeds were the team from hell.

We didn't win anything for another 5 years. Shanks would have been toast nowadays but he started to build slowly but surely, expensive mistakes on the way (Hateley and Alun Evans) but great successes like Keegan and Clemence.