Poll

I'm just wondering about this...

I normally vote Labour, but I'd vote Lib Dem if it guaranteed binning Brexit**
97 (69.8%)
I normally vote Conservative, but I'd vote Lib Dem if it guaranteed binning Brexit**
0 (0%)
I normally vote Labour and I'd vote Labour Regardless
17 (12.2%)
I normally vote Conservative and I'd vote Conservative Regardless
1 (0.7%)
I feel I have to vote on something and none of those options apply to me, so I'll vote this..
24 (17.3%)

Total Members Voted: 138

Author Topic: Would you vote Lib Dem to Stop Brexit (If it would, obviously...)  (Read 10837 times)

Offline Libertine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing behind me, everything ahead of me
Re: Would you vote Lib Dem to Stop Brexit (If it would, obviously...)
« Reply #80 on: April 5, 2017, 07:06:04 pm »
Exclusive: Conservative poll showed party would "lose seats" to the Liberal Democrats

Election strategist Lynton Crosby warned the party would lose MPs to the Lib Dems in an early election, sources say.

Against some expectations, Theresa May has kept her promise not to seek an early general election. The Prime Minister prides herself on sticking to her word and a campaign would cost valuable Brexit negotiating time. But one factor has received little attention: the increasing threat posed to the Tories by the Liberal Democrats.

Last month, Conservative MPs from Cornwall and Devon urged May not to go to the country for fear they would lose their seats. In Richmond, Tim Farron's party overturned Zac Goldsmith's 23,015 majority by attracting Remain voters and the Lib Dems have won 34 council seats from the Tories since May 2015.

The MPs' fears, I can reveal, were later reinforced by private Conservative polling. According to multiple sources, a survey conducted by Crosby Textor showed the party would lose most of the 27 gains they made from the Lib Dems in 2015, including all those in south London, all those in Cornwall and most of those in Devon. Lynton Crosby, who masterminded the party's general election triumph, is said to have personally told May of the grim findings. The Australian strategist's reappearance at CCHQ had encouraged speculation that the Prime Minister was preparing to seek an early contest. Tory MPs hope that by 2020, the scheduled date of the next election, the anger felt by Remain supporters at Brexit will have diminished.

Since their general election nadir, the Lib Dems have risen to double figures in national polling and now boast 87,000 members (more than double their low point under the coalition). Tim Farron told the New Statesman last week that only his party could deprive the Tories of their slim majority of 15 seats.

"The SNP cannot gain more than one seat off the Tories, so it can't be them ... Nobody, but nobody, thinks the Labour Party is in any position to make net gains from the Tories at all. So we are living with a Tory government for as long as we can see into the future, unless the Liberal Democrats, through our route, are able to bash the Tories to below a majority. That is the only plausible route at the moment, for Tories losing their majority.

"So I am doing progressive politics the biggest favour I can by strengthening my party, making it more attractive to people who are currently maybe Remain-voting, pro-market, moderate Conservatives, not for the protectionist wing."

A Conservative spokesman said he was unaware of the poll and that the party never comments on such matters.

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2017/04/exclusive-conservative-poll-showed-party-would-lose-seats-liberal-democrats

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81 on: April 5, 2017, 07:45:52 pm »
Our best hope indeed.  Grabbing a couple dozen seats off the Tories whilst praying they don't make their numbers back up from Labour.

Imagine if the SNP contested some of the big urban areas in Northern England?
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: April 5, 2017, 07:48:13 pm »
I heard about that on Sunday Politics. They were stating exactly that the Tories are under threat from the Lib Dems in the South West and could lose anywhere up to 25-30 seats.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: April 5, 2017, 07:52:46 pm »
Only real opposition south of the border right now

Offline Bunter

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #84 on: April 5, 2017, 10:06:17 pm »
Surprised as everyone has seemingly been creaming their kecks over May for doing pretty much fuck all.

Offline Anfield Ed

• Middle name "Dick". Wants it hard, wants it fast.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Warrior #224
« Reply #85 on: April 5, 2017, 10:27:02 pm »
Lib Dems are scum and I see them at close hand in Cambridge - they have no morals and lie all the time.

I am so glad they'll never have an inkling of power again.
« Last Edit: April 5, 2017, 10:28:49 pm by Anfield Ed »

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: April 5, 2017, 10:37:11 pm »
I'll certainly be voting for them again at the next GE.

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: April 5, 2017, 10:41:02 pm »
No, fuck the Tory loving, lying c*nts. They're happy to jump into bed with the right for a taste of power.

The country voted for Brexit, I voted remain, most of us here voted remain, but the country voted Brexit. You can't just accept democracy when it suits you, and ignore it when it doesn't. Any party trying to stop Brexit now is wrong
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
« Reply #88 on: April 5, 2017, 10:43:21 pm »
No, fuck the Tory loving, lying c*nts. They're happy to jump into bed with the right for a taste of power.

The country voted for Brexit, I voted remain, most of us here voted remain, but the country voted Brexit. You can't just accept democracy when it suits you, and ignore it when it doesn't. Any party trying to stop Brexit now is wrong

The country voted for the Tories, I voted for Labour, most of us here voted Labour, but the country voted Tory. You can't just accept democracy when it suits you, and ignore it when it doesn't. Any party trying to oppose the Tories now is wrong.
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: April 5, 2017, 10:49:31 pm »
The country voted for the Tories, I voted for Labour, most of us here voted Labour, but the country voted Tory. You can't just accept democracy when it suits you, and ignore it when it doesn't. Any party trying to oppose the Tories now is wrong.

You're right, if we attempted to overthrow the Torys and install a Labour government then that'd be totally wrong too. Argue for a soft Brexit or whatever, but standing on a "stop Brexit altogether" policy is wrong
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline TheShanklyGates

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: April 5, 2017, 10:52:09 pm »
You're right, if we attempted to overthrow the Torys and install a Labour government then that'd be totally wrong too. Argue for a soft Brexit or whatever, but standing on a "stop Brexit altogether" policy is wrong

Except they aren't standing on a 'stop Brexit altogether' policy, they're standing on a policy of giving the country a second referendum when it becomes clear the deal that the government get isn't what they voted for. It's a coherent proposal and makes far more sense than whatever mess Labour are pushing at the moment.
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: April 6, 2017, 08:13:45 am »
Can Article 50 even be cancelled?  I'd have no problem with a second referendum in two years' time where people get to vote on whether or not to accept the deal we've been offered.

Maybe we can clobber the likes of Johnson over the head with his battle bus slogans and hold the bunch of lying shitheads to account for their bullshit.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: April 6, 2017, 08:50:08 am »
After they showed they care fuck all about their manifesto, as long as they get a nominal position auch as deputy PM, why would anyone vote for them ever again?
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline Libertine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: April 6, 2017, 08:53:47 am »
After they showed they care fuck all about their manifesto, as long as they get a nominal position auch as deputy PM, why would anyone vote for them ever again?

Must have missed them getting a majority in parliament after the 2010 election.....

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: April 6, 2017, 09:22:20 am »
Must have missed them getting a majority in parliament after the 2010 election.....

They won't be getting a majority now either. So their track record suggest they will do fuck all to stop Brexit.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline Dowling10

• Busted
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scousers rule the country.
« Reply #95 on: April 6, 2017, 09:29:51 am »

That's slightly ironic because the reason the Lib Dems 'jumped' into bed with the Tories was because the Tories had the majority. Democracy?

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: April 6, 2017, 11:03:34 am »
If they do well and take seats off the Tories with no real damage to Labour then if you're in a marginal then go for it.  A Lib/Lab coalition is a far better premise than a Lib/Con one.

Me, it's kind of a wasted vote anyway, I'm in Wallasey and Angela Eagle's majority was 16,348 with over 60% of ALL the vote.  Not happening but I vote Green (who also campaigned to remain, though are going with the result of the referendum) who finished ahead of the Lib Dems.
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline TheShanklyGates

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: April 6, 2017, 01:53:28 pm »
Can Article 50 even be cancelled?  I'd have no problem with a second referendum in two years' time where people get to vote on whether or not to accept the deal we've been offered.

Maybe we can clobber the likes of Johnson over the head with his battle bus slogans and hold the bunch of lying shitheads to account for their bullshit.

It's up for dispute, I believe there is an ongoing court case to settle the issue. The European Parliament seem to think it is.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-39501866

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: April 6, 2017, 02:42:37 pm »

Democracy has been a casualty of Brexit. ive never had so much disgust for any government than I have for the Tory party over the last 9 months. they have acted like fascists. democracy had been show little respect since last June.
I also dont think any government should ignore the referendum result but that doesn't mean we shouldn't have the right to vote on our next step when we know what Brexit actually means.
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #99 on: April 6, 2017, 02:49:55 pm »
I would never vote for them again.

They enabled the Tories that in the end lead to Brexit and also to millions of people suffering.
« Last Edit: April 6, 2017, 02:54:02 pm by Trada »
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Libertine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: April 6, 2017, 02:52:30 pm »
If they do well and take seats off the Tories with no real damage to Labour then if you're in a marginal then go for it.  A Lib/Lab coalition is a far better premise than a Lib/Con one.

Me, it's kind of a wasted vote anyway, I'm in Wallasey and Angela Eagle's majority was 16,348 with over 60% of ALL the vote.  Not happening but I vote Green (who also campaigned to remain, though are going with the result of the referendum) who finished ahead of the Lib Dems.

While yours seems like a safe Labour constituency, in general people should be wary about reading too much into the 2015 results to identify the best placed progressive candidate to defeat the Tories. The Lib Dem vote was severely reduced in many places and would not be a good indicator of where it would be now or in 2020.

In my constituency (safe-ish southern Tory seat), Labour were a clear second in 2015 but I imagine would be nowhere now and the Lib Dems will be the main challenger again.

And in Manchester Gorton for example, the Lib Dems were nowhere in 2015 but will push Labour close in May.

The post-coalition recovery, Brexit and the state of Labour will change the dynamics in many seats. Past voting (2005, 2010 as well as 2015), Remain/Leave % as well as the demographics will be the big factors in determining who will challenge in the nest election.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #101 on: April 6, 2017, 04:30:31 pm »
I would never vote for them again.

They enabled the Tories that in the end lead to Brexit and also to millions of people suffering.

Brexit is far more of a Labour issue. The only way you can blame the Lib Dems for Brexit is if you blame them for not winning enough seats in 2015. The same charge applies even more so to Labour. And the Lib Dems did actually campaign for Remain.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: April 7, 2017, 02:23:01 pm »
The Lib Dems smash UKIP in Aylesbury last night!

Their vote increased in all the council seats that were being contested yesterday.

https://twitter.com/britainelects

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/850116341927489536

Offline TheShanklyGates

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: April 7, 2017, 02:54:11 pm »

Their vote increased in all the council seats that were being contested yesterday.

Big swing, pretty meaningless in isolation though. Be interesting to see how they do at the upcoming local elections though.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: April 7, 2017, 02:56:41 pm »

My local council. More likely a post coalition rebound than anything wildly significant nationally. The Dems have a good reputation at council level here.

Offline Libertine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: April 7, 2017, 03:05:05 pm »
Big swing, pretty meaningless in isolation though. Be interesting to see how they do at the upcoming local elections though.

People say this with every gain the Lib Dems have had over the past year. Now 35 or so gains, many with swings even bigger than this.

They are NOT in isolation. It IS a trend at this stage.

Offline SP

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: April 7, 2017, 03:36:03 pm »
People say this with every gain the Lib Dems have had over the past year. Now 35 or so gains, many with swings even bigger than this.

They are NOT in isolation. It IS a trend at this stage.

They were punished locally for the coalition during the last Parliament. With the wipeout in Westminster,   that stigma has been flushed away, certainly at council level.

For the Lib Dems they must almost viewed as different parties at local and national level.

Offline Fortneef

• Palace Fan. Punka wallah?
  • Kopite
« Reply #107 on: April 10, 2017, 04:06:14 pm »
you trust them when they clearly haven't got a clue?

And I'm guessing your hate of the lib dems is about the student fees u turn, boo fucking hoo, politicians backtrack all the time and there are far worse backtracks they could have done, plus going into coalition helped keep the Tories relatively in check, not as if they'd have gone in with labour in a coalition was it?

a labourlibdemsnpeveryonelse coalition would have fallen apart after 5 minutes and there'd have been a full tory government instead.

theres no point in a middle party unless it can flirt with both sides to get the best deal. but then, that was the problem. nominally the middle party but voted for by greens and other assorted idealists.

Offline Libertine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: April 24, 2017, 04:29:26 pm »
Passed 100,000 members today - massive surge since last week and well over double the membership since the 2015 election.

Offline bigbonedrawky

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: June 7, 2017, 03:33:24 pm »
Half way down the second page  8)  I'm sure they're still relevant but I'm not hearing much from them.   
So how's it going for the Liberals are those ex labour voters in the poll, still going with the Libs.
How many seats are they hoping for ?

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: June 7, 2017, 03:35:11 pm »
Tim Farron is pretty awful - if they had a half decent leader I would have considered voting Lib Dems.
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline Libertine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: June 7, 2017, 03:40:23 pm »
Half way down the second page  8)  I'm sure they're still relevant but I'm not hearing much from them.   
So how's it going for the Liberals are those ex labour voters in the poll, still going with the Libs.

It's not been a great campaign obviously for a number of reasons - plenty of time to go into that over the coming days/weeks.

I'll certainly be voting Lib Dem tomorrow. For me it's a Brexit election first and foremost which means the only options are Lib Dems and Greens. And the Lib Dems for many reasons are the obvious choice between those two.

How many seats? Who knows. There's few if any safe seats around, so if the 8% of the vote is accurate it could go terribly wrong. Alternatively if the local campaigns have worked well, and Labour voters are smart enough to vote anti-Tory tactically (and that's a big IF), then it could be relatively successful.

Would love to get 20+, would settle for 15 at this stage.

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: June 7, 2017, 03:42:24 pm »

I'm a left leaning floating voter (I wouldn't describe myself as "ex Labour" even though I've voted for them in the past) and was determined to vote Lib Dem this time round to save this country from Brexit (what with Corbyn being anti-EU).

I naively thought there'd be a groundswell of Remainers doing the same. Hasn't turned out that way though. It seems that, for one reason or another, people are putting (relatively) minor irrelevant issues ahead of preventing this country becoming an irrelevant shithole for future generations and instead choosing to vote Tory or Labour.

So as I live in a very close LAB/CON constituency I've decided to do a vote swap and vote Labour (the lesser of the two Brexit evils) while my sister will vote Lib Dem in her Tory constituency.

Re: number of seats - no idea, nowhere near what I would have liked though.

Offline SP

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: June 7, 2017, 03:50:14 pm »

A Labour supporter gloating the day before this election is potentially a tad unwise.
« Last Edit: June 7, 2017, 03:56:49 pm by SP »

Offline Libertine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: June 7, 2017, 03:50:22 pm »
Although.....

@neilmonnery
Second time in two days I see canvass data in a non target seat for the Lib Dems where they are ahead. Very strange... #GE2017

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: June 7, 2017, 03:55:18 pm »
It's not been a great campaign obviously for a number of reasons - plenty of time to go into that over the coming days/weeks.

I'll certainly be voting Lib Dem tomorrow. For me it's a Brexit election first and foremost which means the only options are Lib Dems and Greens. And the Lib Dems for many reasons are the obvious choice between those two.

How many seats? Who knows. There's few if any safe seats around, so if the 8% of the vote is accurate it could go terribly wrong. Alternatively if the local campaigns have worked well, and Labour voters are smart enough to vote anti-Tory tactically (and that's a big IF), then it could be relatively successful.

I thought once people started looking at the evidence of how damaging Brexit would be they would start to reconsider. the only option i thought they had to stop the Tory hard right was to get behind a party who would fight it, the lib dems looked the only option. decided to put £50 x3/1 for lib dems to get over 20% of the votes at the next GE which looked like 2020. last time I checked the price was 50/1. looks like i got i badly wrong.
People have either ignored the evidence or they think we have to follow the Tory con of the wishes of the people.
Corbyn has stated he will get a deal, I don't take his word as gospel but ive no option but to take him at his word.
« Last Edit: June 7, 2017, 04:06:25 pm by oldfordie »
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: June 7, 2017, 03:57:18 pm »
Although.....

@neilmonnery
Second time in two days I see canvass data in a non target seat for the Lib Dems where they are ahead. Very strange... #GE2017

Oh man, this is confusing me even more. It's been doing my head in trying to second guess how people in my area are going to vote - it's North London suburbia traditionally split between Lab & Cons with a large secular Jewish population (so anti-Corbyn?) and very pro remain (so anti-Tory AND anti-Corbyn?). Got me thinking that maybe everyone's got the same idea as me to vote Lib Dem, so I should too. Or are they going to do what they always do and hence I should vote Lab?? AAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHHH
« Last Edit: June 7, 2017, 03:59:44 pm by Xabi Gerrard »

Offline SP

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: June 7, 2017, 03:58:46 pm »
My seat one candidate is polling at over 80% at the moment.  Even more futile that usual.

Offline bigbonedrawky

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: June 7, 2017, 04:18:22 pm »
A Labour supporter gloating the day before this election is potentially a tad unwise.
That counts as gloating ???
RAWK has become a very sensitive place nowaday's.

Offline bigbonedrawky

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: June 7, 2017, 04:24:07 pm »

Nah Nah Nah Nah Nah Libs are only getting 15 seats  ;)