Author Topic: Today's shooting - The Sandy Hook Memorial Thread - Thoughts and Prayers  (Read 528126 times)

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
Re: Yet another mass shooting in America.
« Reply #1040 on: April 13, 2017, 01:48:26 pm »
I'm not so sure that's true. Even if only 5% of the population took up arms, that's a 15-million-strong force fighting asymmetrically to deal with. What with army defectors and the constraints of a government fighting its own populace, I doubt any tyrant would last.

Not that there's much chance of this happening any time soon.

I admire your optimism but that all assumes that the passionate 2nd-Amendmenters wouldn't actually take sides with the tyrant.

Many tyrants come to power through the ballot box by appealing to the baser instincts and reactionary impulses of the population. Using fear, xenophobia, outright racism, fetishisation of militarism and sabre-rattling they appear as populists who 'speak for the people', get elected and then consolidate their power. There's nothing a tyrant loves better than law and order, harsh punishments and best of all, a willing support that does half the job of enforcing tyranny by acting as a quasi-police force.

But yeah... there's no chance of that happening anytime soon in America.

GA III% Security Force guarding a Trump rally during the presidential campaign.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 01:56:30 pm by Alan_X »
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm in love with here and I feel fine
« Reply #1041 on: April 13, 2017, 02:52:56 pm »
GA III% Security Force guarding a Trump rally during the presidential campaign.

It's all good.

III%SF and its members shall not and will not ever cause or create any attempt to attack or overthrow any local, state, or federal department. Says leader and founder Gen. Bloodagent.
source

Their home page is equal parts sad, hilarious, and terrifying. Here a kid is literally crying whilst his mother orders him to "drop and give me 20".

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/9t8kpY5Tf48?t=8m28s" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/9t8kpY5Tf48?t=8m28s</a>

« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 03:01:24 pm by telekon »
What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1042 on: April 17, 2017, 12:33:21 am »
Anyone hear or see anything of this lunatic that is apparently running around killing people on a live Facebook stream in Ohio?

Offline brownie 09

• Long-winded.....but never mind :)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • twitter - brownie09RAWK
« Reply #1043 on: April 17, 2017, 12:36:49 am »
Anyone hear or see anything of this lunatic that is apparently running around killing people on a live Facebook stream in Ohio?
I clicked on a video earlier on twitter by accident and it was him shooting that 78year old fella.

He just walks up to this arl fella, asks him a question and pulls a gun out. Poor guy begs him not to.

Its fucking horrific. I genuinely thought this has to be fake.

Never watch those types of videos.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 12:38:58 am by brownie 09 »

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1044 on: April 17, 2017, 12:39:07 am »

http://ktla.com/2017/04/16/cleveland-police-look-for-man-in-connection-with-fatal-shooting-broadcasted-on-facebook-live/

Sounds like a prick, hopefully he's caught soon.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1045 on: April 17, 2017, 12:55:19 am »
I clicked on a video earlier on twitter by accident and it was him shooting that 78year old fella.

He just walks up to this arl fella, asks him a question and pulls a gun out. Poor guy begs him not to.

Its fucking horrific. I genuinely thought this has to be fake.

Never watch those types of videos.

I'm the same. Got the video sent and it didn't look real the way it happened.

He's apparently killed 15 people. Why it's not headline news now is baffling if it's true. I suppose that's a good thing, as it's obviously what the c*nt wants.

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1046 on: April 17, 2017, 01:15:22 am »
That video is seriously messed up, some fucked up people in the world. Sadly America continues to give them guns
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline Buggy Eyes Alfredo

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤
« Reply #1047 on: April 17, 2017, 01:47:37 am »

Randomly getting out of his vehicle and walking up to innocent strangers and telling them to say "Joy Lane". Apparently that is his ex who he is blaming for him "snapping". States he has already killed fourteen people.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #1048 on: April 17, 2017, 02:47:19 am »
I just did the same thing been watching other stuff and went onto Twitter and the first thing I saw was something about Cleveland and a video.

I'm shocked can't believe people are sharing that video that poor old man and his family.

Still trying to find out whats going on nothing on the news.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 03:14:59 am by Trada »
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1049 on: June 22, 2017, 12:37:28 am »
And there you have it: Jeronimo Yanez was acquited of manslaughter for murdering Philando Castile...

Really hoped a jury would have the balls (or brains) to convict in this one.  An innocent man doing absolutely nothing wrong, murdered in front of his girlfriend and her daughter because a cop got everything wrong.

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #1050 on: June 22, 2017, 10:57:32 am »
It is shocking how a jury can watch that dash-cam video and not come to the conclusion that there is something seriously wrong with the cops behaviour. It's not easy being a policeman (especially in the US), but that situation seemed to be well under control until the policeman started to panic. Granted, it is not that easy to judge the situation without seeing what Philando Castile was doing exactly, but from the audio it seems there was very little reason to just fire seven shots into that car. Castile seemed completely calm when talking to the officer and he told him right away that he had a gun with him. You could argue that he should have stopped reaching for whatever it was he was reaching for (probably his license) when the cop started panicking, but there is something seriously wrong with the world you're living in, if that was enough to have the policeman shooting seven bullets at the driver when there's another person and a child in the car.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1051 on: June 22, 2017, 11:15:15 am »
And there you have it: Jeronimo Yanez was acquited of manslaughter for murdering Philando Castile...

Really hoped a jury would have the balls (or brains) to convict in this one.  An innocent man doing absolutely nothing wrong, murdered in front of his girlfriend and her daughter because a cop got everything wrong.

It's a nation paralysed by fear, hence the prevalence of guns 'for protection' even amongst people you'd ostensibly consider rational.

Given all police carry guns, and so many civilians do, it's not remotely surprising a jury of normal civilians can empathise/buy into the fear defence that a police person can always use. I thought he might have a gun, so shot him loads. Because I don't want to be shot. People can empathise that the guy didn't plan to kill him (aka murder), but was just scared.

Outside of police/civilian gun encounters, it is exactly the same kind of fear induced escalation that leads to so many gun attacks. Whether we're talking shooting someone 'trespassing' whose coming to knock on their door, or whether shooting a member of a rival gang cos they're terrified of them.

It's extremely easy to use that fear to gain empathy as a police person defending against prosecution. And no doubt there are times they are legitimately targetted, which further adds to the contribution.

There won't ever be progress on this, until there are major changes tackling the gun epidemic over there. You can't eradicate an individual symptom, and themn expect the wider disease not to keep producing the same symptom. Something has to be done to knock the national characteristic of cowardice out of step

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1052 on: June 22, 2017, 11:56:26 am »
It's a nation paralysed by fear, hence the prevalence of guns 'for protection' even amongst people you'd ostensibly consider rational.

Given all police carry guns, and so many civilians do, it's not remotely surprising a jury of normal civilians can empathise/buy into the fear defence that a police person can always use. I thought he might have a gun, so shot him loads. Because I don't want to be shot. People can empathise that the guy didn't plan to kill him (aka murder), but was just scared.

Outside of police/civilian gun encounters, it is exactly the same kind of fear induced escalation that leads to so many gun attacks. Whether we're talking shooting someone 'trespassing' whose coming to knock on their door, or whether shooting a member of a rival gang cos they're terrified of them.

It's extremely easy to use that fear to gain empathy as a police person defending against prosecution. And no doubt there are times they are legitimately targetted, which further adds to the contribution.

There won't ever be progress on this, until there are major changes tackling the gun epidemic over there. You can't eradicate an individual symptom, and themn expect the wider disease not to keep producing the same symptom. Something has to be done to knock the national characteristic of cowardice out of step

Yes, but being 'scared' as a police officer shouldn't acquit you of manslaughter.  That the police force has removed him from his position points to him having made a series of gross errors that led to a young innocent man being shot dead while in a car with a woman and child. This is policing like you're in a warzone. When you treat every civillian as a suspect that will pull a gun on you then you're no longer protecting and serving.

Castile wasn't killed for doing anything wrong, he, in fact, did everything right!  He pulled over safely. He told the officer he had a gun which he was legally entitled to carry.  He was reaching for his licence as instructed.

That the jury acquited Yanez means they bought his story: that he saw Castile with his hand on his gun.  Why would a man who intended to use a gun against an officer tell him that he was armed?  Why would he reach for a gun that was unloaded?  This wasn't murder, but it was absolutely and unequivocally manslaughter.

Trevor Noah made a good point about the NRA's despicable silence on this.

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1053 on: June 22, 2017, 12:34:58 pm »
It is shocking how a jury can watch that dash-cam video and not come to the conclusion that there is something seriously wrong with the cops behaviour. It's not easy being a policeman (especially in the US), but that situation seemed to be well under control until the policeman started to panic. Granted, it is not that easy to judge the situation without seeing what Philando Castile was doing exactly, but from the audio it seems there was very little reason to just fire seven shots into that car. Castile seemed completely calm when talking to the officer and he told him right away that he had a gun with him. You could argue that he should have stopped reaching for whatever it was he was reaching for (probably his license) when the cop started panicking, but there is something seriously wrong with the world you're living in, if that was enough to have the policeman shooting seven bullets at the driver when there's another person and a child in the car.

The world's alright, like. The US is simply dealing with the consequences of permitting their citizens to legally own and carry firearms.

Whenever there's a cop related issue in the US I'm always inclined to give them a lot of wiggle room to be honest, which may not be a popular stance. It's hard enough being a cop in a properly run country where the average idiot cannot legally access firearms; imagine the mental load on a cop in the US doing his rounds. It must be insane

A completely unnecessary set of circumstances.

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1054 on: June 22, 2017, 12:37:26 pm »
Yes, but being 'scared' as a police officer shouldn't acquit you of manslaughter.  That the police force has removed him from his position points to him having made a series of gross errors that led to a young innocent man being shot dead while in a car with a woman and child. This is policing like you're in a warzone. When you treat every civillian as a suspect that will pull a gun on you then you're no longer protecting and serving.

Castile wasn't killed for doing anything wrong, he, in fact, did everything right!  He pulled over safely. He told the officer he had a gun which he was legally entitled to carry.  He was reaching for his licence as instructed.

That the jury acquited Yanez means they bought his story: that he saw Castile with his hand on his gun.  Why would a man who intended to use a gun against an officer tell him that he was armed?  Why would he reach for a gun that was unloaded?  This wasn't murder, but it was absolutely and unequivocally manslaughter.

Trevor Noah made a good point about the NRA's despicable silence on this.

Just to be clear, I don't disagree with you at all.

I'm just saying America's gun crisis, and inherent cowardice, plays into the difficulty to convince a jury of peers to find (in particular) a police officer killing an unarmed man manslaughter. Same happens, on a smaller scale, for those who have access to expensive lawyers.

Offline swoopy

• not a mod. At all. Like ever. And certainly not on the ticket board that's for sure. Not for want of trying. Can't spell Irmingham either.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1055 on: June 29, 2017, 05:42:03 pm »

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1056 on: June 29, 2017, 05:51:41 pm »
Ohio judge gives teens book report as punishment for accidentally shooting someone in the face

Monalisa Perez, 19, was booked into county jail after shooting at Pedro Ruiz as he held a book to his chest, believing it would stop the bullet.

Guilty of both being an idiot and having an Hispanic name.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #1057 on: June 29, 2017, 05:59:07 pm »

Offline J_Kopite

• Is he or isn't she? Cougar toy.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1058 on: June 29, 2017, 06:12:00 pm »
Those two have to be candidates for the Darwin awards this year

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #1059 on: June 29, 2017, 07:03:25 pm »
Those two have to be candidates for the Darwin awards this year
They've got two children so technically... ;D
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline J_Kopite

• Is he or isn't she? Cougar toy.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1060 on: June 29, 2017, 07:05:42 pm »
Haha blame my post-work exhaustion ;D

Offline swoopy

• not a mod. At all. Like ever. And certainly not on the ticket board that's for sure. Not for want of trying. Can't spell Irmingham either.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1061 on: June 30, 2017, 08:42:40 pm »
There have been multiple people shot at Bronx-Lebanon Hospital in New York City, according to a New York Police Department spokeswoman. Police are searching for the shooter and have advised people to avoid the area

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/06/30/us/new-york-hospital-shooting/index.html

Developing Story

Offline GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1062 on: July 1, 2017, 02:52:13 am »
re: the dumbarses who thought a book could stop a bullet, I note that they used a .50 Desert Eagle. My Playstation tells me that that is an absolute beast of a gun. Should they not have started with a Saturday Night Special (namedrop courtesy of Dopewars)?

I also want to know whether the book was a Bible. Would fit the stereotype.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1063 on: July 1, 2017, 07:13:48 am »
There have been multiple people shot at Bronx-Lebanon Hospital in New York City, according to a New York Police Department spokeswoman. Police are searching for the shooter and have advised people to avoid the area

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/06/30/us/new-york-hospital-shooting/index.html

Developing Story

The gunman is dead.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1064 on: July 1, 2017, 08:17:55 am »
Hearing it was a doctor.  :o
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1065 on: July 1, 2017, 08:31:40 am »
He'd been accused of sexual harassment apparently.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline Mumm-Ra

• Dunking Heretic. Mexican drug runner. Can go whistle for a pair of decent trainees! Your own personal cheese. Yes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1066 on: July 1, 2017, 02:04:29 pm »
re: the dumbarses who thought a book could stop a bullet, I note that they used a .50 Desert Eagle. My Playstation tells me that that is an absolute beast of a gun. Should they not have started with a Saturday Night Special (namedrop courtesy of Dopewars)?

I also want to know whether the book was a Bible. Would fit the stereotype.

It is not a beast, it is THE beast - most powerful handgun in the world. I've shot my mate's one, it was terrifying, couldn't hit a barn door with it either

It was an encyclopedia he has holding by the way. Lot of good learning in there.

Presumably they did this without doing a test, you know, without an actual human on the other end. Just unthinkably stupid

Offline bigbonedrawky

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1067 on: July 1, 2017, 02:29:35 pm »
It is not a beast, it is THE beast - most powerful handgun in the world. I've shot my mate's one, it was terrifying, couldn't hit a barn door with it either

It was an encyclopedia he has holding by the way. Lot of good learning in there.

Presumably they did this without doing a test, you know, without an actual human on the other end. Just unthinkably stupid
I heard he did a test with a thicker book and no humans, noted how far the bullet went in and then got a thinner book   :P

I don't think she should be charged though.

Offline Jshooters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Occasionally inspirational
« Reply #1068 on: July 1, 2017, 07:50:41 pm »
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jul/01/little-rock-nightclub-shooting-police

Thankfully no casualties but fucking hell, look what happens when a bit of aggro occurs at a club containing tooled up people
Believer

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1069 on: July 1, 2017, 11:12:33 pm »
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jul/01/little-rock-nightclub-shooting-police

Thankfully no casualties but fucking hell, look what happens when a bit of aggro occurs at a club containing tooled up people

Erm, 25 people were hit - do you mean fatalities?

Offline Jshooters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Occasionally inspirational
« Reply #1070 on: July 1, 2017, 11:20:18 pm »
Erm, 25 people were hit - do you mean fatalities?

Fatalities....that's what I meant  :-\
Believer

Offline Party Phil

• Boring Cunt that flies Air Bizarre
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Big in Japan
« Reply #1071 on: July 1, 2017, 11:26:16 pm »

Well, obviously he couldn't test it because that would have ruined his encyclopedia ::)
If you're lying, I'll chop your head off.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1072 on: July 2, 2017, 08:46:15 am »
I heard he did a test with a thicker book and no humans, noted how far the bullet went in and then got a thinner book   :P

I don't think she should be charged though.

What, this one?

Have held but not fired a .50 Cal Desert Eagle, but my Dad fired one at the Fulwood range in Aintree. The range was long but narrow so they had to open the door when it was fired or the shockwave blew the flourescent tubes.

I think its right she's been charged with second degree manslaughter, you don't fuck about with guns, they're not toys. Something I was told on my induction at the gun club when discussing range safety - never point a firearm at anyone unless you intend to kill them. If she is confident enough to aim and fire a Desert Eagle, and I assume she has fired it before, as its a physically large and heavy handgun and most if all novices would be intimated just holding the thing and wouldn't be able to point it straight, then unless she is utterly stupid, common sense tells you to never trust that a book was going to protect him. Her tweet beforehand saying how dangerous the stunt was shows she fully aware of what they were doing. There is no defence to what she did.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1073 on: July 2, 2017, 10:22:49 am »
What, this one?

Have held but not fired a .50 Cal Desert Eagle, but my Dad fired one at the Fulwood range in Aintree. The range was long but narrow so they had to open the door when it was fired or the shockwave blew the flourescent tubes.

I think its right she's been charged with second degree manslaughter, you don't fuck about with guns, they're not toys. Something I was told on my induction at the gun club when discussing range safety - never point a firearm at anyone unless you intend to kill them. If she is confident enough to aim and fire a Desert Eagle, and I assume she has fired it before, as its a physically large and heavy handgun and most if all novices would be intimated just holding the thing and wouldn't be able to point it straight, then unless she is utterly stupid, common sense tells you to never trust that a book was going to protect him. Her tweet beforehand saying how dangerous the stunt was shows she fully aware of what they were doing. There is no defence to what she did.

A lot of assumptions there. How do you know she was confident? Why must she have fired it before? Maybe she was intimidated but by all accounts this was at point blank range so no need to aim accurately. And there's a Mythbusters episode on paper armour where layered paper armour outperformed steel and there are endless videos on YouTube of gormless people firing through all sorts of things including books. A .22 won't penetrate a textbook about an inch thick. A 9mm will. There's a video I found where two and a bit packs of printer paper stops a Magnum.

The problem is that no one should have a gun that powerful outside of the military or the security services in order to even try such stunts. If you're relying on 'common sense' to stop a young pregnant mum being able to shoot at the father of her child with a lethal weapon there is something fucked up with that society.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1074 on: July 2, 2017, 11:16:25 am »
A lot of assumptions there. How do you know she was confident? Why must she have fired it before? Maybe she was intimidated but by all accounts this was at point blank range so no need to aim accurately. And there's a Mythbusters episode on paper armour where layered paper armour outperformed steel and there are endless videos on YouTube of gormless people firing through all sorts of things including books. A .22 won't penetrate a textbook about an inch thick. A 9mm will. There's a video I found where two and a bit packs of printer paper stops a Magnum.

The problem is that no one should have a gun that powerful outside of the military or the security services in order to even try such stunts. If you're relying on 'common sense' to stop a young pregnant mum being able to shoot at the father of her child with a lethal weapon there is something fucked up with that society.

Assumptions based on personal experience and seeing people react to various firearms. I've been shooting on and off for over 20 years, 10 years with 9mm and .357 semi autos and reveolvers.  I've taken quite a few non shooters to the range and every time, the first time they picked up any handgun, they've gripped it much too tight and its wobbled everywhere. The Desert Eagle is a big, heavy gun - they weigh almost 5 pounds and are very intimidating. Novices flinch, they anticipate the bang, they do things like shut their eyes, they never ever pull the trigger slowly, they snatch at it and the firearm always drops. Even at a foot, its easy to miss the book, I've seen people drop the barrel 6 to 8 inches and bounce the round off the floor of the range.For him to be confident enough that she's not going to do any of those things and kill him, then its logical to conclude that she was used to firing handguns.

I'm aware of layers being used to stop bullets, that's how bullet proof vests are made, layer upon layer laid on top of each other, but there comes a point when the energy in the bullet is too much for the book or vest to stop it. I wouldn't expect a .22 to go though a book, they are used in rifles for hunting small game such as rabbits or in pistol form mainly for target shooting, although they are capable of killing people as the bullet stays inside the body and bounces around, a head shot will send the bullet rattling around inside the skull. A .22 is a small bullet that is lighter than a 9mm, is fired from a very narrow case with a small amount of powder, so it is slower and carries 3 times less energy than the 9mm parabellum, which is why the .22 doesn't go through the book when a 9mm does. A .50 Cal has four times the energy of a 9mm due to the size of the case and the amount of powder.

Totally agree that the gun should not be available to the general public. I can see a need for anyone who HAS to be where bears are likely to be, eg Park Rangers, for defence from a bear, but for a sport shooter its a pointless thing. If you are one of these I need a gun for home defence, its not a good choice for that either, too big and heavy, a .45 or a 9mm semi auto is a much better choice.
« Last Edit: July 2, 2017, 12:16:27 pm by rob1966 »
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline bigbonedrawky

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1075 on: July 2, 2017, 07:07:31 pm »
What, this one?

If stupid was a crime eh  :)

If this was a Vegas stage act like throwing knives or shooting at balloons held by assistants or some nutter trying to catch a bullet or something like that .Would you charge anyone ?
What good comes from jailing her ? what harm comes with jailing her and what of her soon to be born baby ? 
Is she a danger to society ? is she likely to re-offend? I cant say she is.
Even without prison,she'll be serving her own sentence for years to come and the grieving is just the start.   

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1076 on: July 2, 2017, 07:27:11 pm »
If stupid was a crime eh  :)

If this was a Vegas stage act like throwing knives or shooting at balloons held by assistants or some nutter trying to catch a bullet or something like that .Would you charge anyone ?
What good comes from jailing her ? what harm comes with jailing her and what of her soon to be born baby ? 
Is she a danger to society ? is she likely to re-offend? I cant say she is.
Even without prison,she'll be serving her own sentence for years to come and the grieving is just the start.   

The catching a bullet is fake, its a blank and slight of hand - the knife throwing is years of practice and making a safe routine appear dangerous, not comparable to pissing about in a house with a .50 cal pistol. What if she'd jumped from the recoil and let another round off that went out the house and killed a child or a neighbour?

Its up to a jury/judges/lawyers to decide what happens to her, but you can't let every soft c*nt who kills someone doing something so fucking stupid just walk away. Might sound really harsh, but like I said, never point a gun at someone unless you intend to kill them. They are not toys.

Offline Brissyred

• RAWK's Great Uncle Google......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1077 on: July 3, 2017, 12:25:04 am »
Quote from: bigbonedrawky
Is she a danger to society ?
If you're that stupid, yes you are.

Offline Mumm-Ra

• Dunking Heretic. Mexican drug runner. Can go whistle for a pair of decent trainees! Your own personal cheese. Yes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1078 on: July 3, 2017, 02:35:27 am »

That argument doesn't hold up, you rely on common sense in the UK for a young pregnant mum to not hit her man with a chainsaw when he's holding a book, or douse him in petrol, or shoot a bow and arrow at an apple on his head, etc. You can't legislate against complete stupidity like this.

I do agree that a 50 cal is ridiculous and there is no valid reason for a civilian (or really anyone) to own a handgun like that.

Offline Brissyred

• RAWK's Great Uncle Google......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1079 on: July 3, 2017, 02:46:28 am »
That argument doesn't hold up, you rely on common sense in the UK for a young pregnant mum to not hit her man with a chainsaw when he's holding a book, or douse him in petrol, or shoot a bow and arrow at an apple on his head, etc. You can't legislate against complete stupidity like this.

I do agree that a 50 cal is ridiculous and there is no valid reason for a civilian (or really anyone) to own a handgun like that.
The difference is that guns are designed to kill things, pistols are primarily designed to kill people why the need to have one in the house in the first place?
I shoot, my guns are kept in the gun safe and only come out when I go hunting/to the range.