Author Topic: Windows 10, professional spyware.  (Read 99803 times)

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Last Edit: September 3, 2015, 05:24:48 pm by Kashinoda »
:D

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
Re: Windows 10 free upgrade, even if your copy if pirated
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 09:05:52 pm »
Interesting.
There has to be an angle.
Wonder what it is?

Microsoft in legitimising piracy shocker...

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 09:06:46 pm »
Interesting.
Wonder what it is?

Easy way to catch the pirated copies?

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 09:08:53 pm »
Right, and what's there actual motive here?

Offline Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2015, 09:10:42 pm »
Widespread adoption is their angle, seems straight forward to me.

I remember when they let pirated XP users upgrade to SP3 for free too, was no angle there either.

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2015, 09:13:51 pm »
OK guys, everybody pirate Windows 7 so you can update to Windows 10 for free.

Offline Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2015, 09:17:51 pm »
OK guys, everybody pirate Windows 7 so you can update to Windows 10 for free.

Except the amount of people who don't have a legit copy of Windows 7 or 8 in some form is extremely small, it's heavily pirated but not when you put it in context.

EDIT - Though I haven't really considered Russia, China and India here. I imagine there could be some mass scale pirated Windows 7 to legit Windows 10 in these countries  ;D

Windows 10 market share could be phenomenal, potentially a genius move.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 09:27:15 pm by Kashinoda »

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2015, 09:20:53 pm »
Yeah but it seems too good to be true. I'll wait and see how other people find it and upgrade within a year if it's cool.

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2015, 10:04:27 pm »
Not sure why they don't just offer free updates like apple. Would mean they have a larger base adoption their latest platform - making it easier to manage.

Offline LFCDynamic

• Legacy Fan
  • To support a team in bad times shows character!
    • LFCDynamic - I Have a Question
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2015, 11:28:52 pm »
Except the amount of people who don't have a legit copy of Windows 7 or 8 in some form is extremely small, it's heavily pirated but not when you put it in context.

EDIT - Though I haven't really considered Russia, China and India here. I imagine there could be some mass scale pirated Windows 7 to legit Windows 10 in these countries  ;D

Windows 10 market share could be phenomenal, potentially a genius move.

I'm running in the Indian version right now xD
To support a team in success is easy. But, to support a team even during bad times shows real character.

Offline LFCDynamic

• Legacy Fan
  • To support a team in bad times shows character!
    • LFCDynamic - I Have a Question
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2015, 11:29:27 pm »
Interesting.
Wonder what it is?

Maybe they know it's shit already.
To support a team in success is easy. But, to support a team even during bad times shows real character.

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2015, 11:41:36 pm »
they're offering it free so they can have all the people on one platform, or at least the vast majority, get everyone on windows 10 and it means you don't need to support 7 and 8 as much

also consider that 80% of their sales go to businesses and not to home users, they will still charge for OEM versions and work machines

get a load of home users to beta test their release and they can sell more copies earlier to business when the platform proves itself stable, most businesses are years behind home users in their OS, i know we only moved from XP when they stopped supporting it, expect to see the support window for legacy OS decrease from here on in
STFU and agree with me.

Offline Banquo's Ghost

• Macbeth's on repeat. To boldly split infinitives that lesser men would dare. To.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2015, 09:27:24 am »
Not sure why they don't just offer free updates like apple. Would mean they have a larger base adoption their latest platform - making it easier to manage.

Apple is a hardware company. The operating system enables them to sell hardware as an integrated unit plus walled garden ecosystem (primarily supplied by third party developers) so there's little point in them using OSX as a revenue driver.

Microsoft is a software company. They have always relied on market share, and revenue from the Windows OS. However, this model is under pressure as other OS and hardware platforms proliferate - MS is no longer the massive near-monopoly it was. Except in business operations, where their biggest software revenue comes from Office. Allowing free upgrades preserves the installed base - especially since the disaster of Win 8. Most business systems are on Win7 (a pretty substantial number are on XP still).

This is not new as a tactic. As noted above, in many parts of the world outside Europe and the US, the Windows OS is largely pirate copies. MS has always turned a blind eye in Russia, India and China. It would cost them too much to enforce their IP anyway, in countries where the rule of law on copyright and IP is shall we say, nebulous.

MS hopes to sell more Office software across the world to legitimised businesses. If a few home users get a benefit, it doesn't worry them.

But it's always worth understanding the fundamental difference between Apple and MS as business models.
Be humble, for you are made of earth. Be noble, for you are made of stars.

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2015, 10:53:47 am »
Reminds me of when Stagecoach used to offer free buses to drive the competition out of business.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline reniformis

• Legacy Fan
  • Innocence and Arrogance Entwined
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2015, 10:08:15 am »
Reminds me of when Stagecoach used to offer free buses to drive the competition out of business.

Well, not quite. Microsoft aren't doing it to drive competition out, they're doing it to survive. Everyone is trying for a complete ecosystem where everything just works. Apple are closest, but they don't do consoles and their hipster premium costs them customers. Microsoft's opportunity comes from the fact they cater for everything, phones, tablets, netbooks, laptops, desktops, consoles. They will be looking nervously over their shoulder at the open-source Linux crowd, Android/ChromeOS on phones, tablets and netbooks, SteamOS on PC-based consoles and Linux on laptops and desktops. If those guys ever get their heads together properly, maybe throw in Sony as well, then Microsoft are really in the shit. It's only really gaming that keeps me running Windows on my PC and Steam are really pushing for developers to make Linux ports of their games. If that becomes widespread, then bye bye Microsoft as anything but a business software developer in the future. They simply have to have their OS running on everything, then try and make their money through the app store or wherever else.

The way the world economy has gone, with recession and growing inequality, means it's the increasingly barren middle ground that has been twatted. Look at games developers, the triple A ones are still raking in the cash, like Rockstar, Activision and Ubisoft. The indies are thriving due to lower overheads so lower prices. The middle ground developers, with their premium overheads and indie quality are going to the wall. Doubtless other industries are finding the same thing, the auto industry for one with the likes of Ford and GM struggling. It's this kind of middle ground that Microsoft are trying to live in. This 'giveaway' may be their last throw of the dice. However, due to their fundamental corporate stupidity and greed as witnessed with the Windows 8/Xbone debacles I'd expect this to play out like the "Scorpion and the Frog/Farmer and the Snake" fables.

Saying all that, I've tried the Windows 10 preview and it's looking pretty good. However, I'd expect the 'free' upgrade to be the most basic version of 10 they can get away with which you won't be able to roll back easily. The functionality you're used to will come at a price, you'll have to pay for plug-ins to get stuff like multi monitor support, media players, disk burning etc back again because they know many people will pay to save pissing about looking for free alternatives. Just a guess, like.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 10:46:52 am by reniformis »
The Past Is Only The Future With The Lights On

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2015, 12:38:32 pm »
I can't see them doing that, the free version will be the Home Version I'd have thought, it will be perfectly  fine for home use. The Pro version they'll charge for
STFU and agree with me.

Offline reniformis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2015, 01:21:24 pm »
I can't see them doing that, the free version will be the Home Version I'd have thought, it will be perfectly  fine for home use. The Pro version they'll charge for

Maybe. Probably. If the figures are right and 80% of their business is, well, business then it makes sense to give home users a free version to keep everyone hooked outside work and not look for an alternative. I just expect they'll do something stupid or annoying to try and wring a few extra quid out because it works on an excel spreadsheet. We'll see.

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2015, 01:26:00 pm »
ah yeah, there'll be something that they'll want to do, it'll leak to the public, a collective go fuck yourself will be sent their way and they'll change whatever it was
STFU and agree with me.

Offline Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2015, 01:28:59 pm »
Surprised there hasn't been much of an outcry from those who are still running Vista, XP or Linux based systems. Pirates are getting it free whilst they'll need to pay.

Offline reniformis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2015, 01:39:41 pm »
ah yeah, there'll be something that they'll want to do, it'll leak to the public, a collective go fuck yourself will be sent their way and they'll change whatever it was

T'was ever thus  :D

Offline RideTheWalrus

• Legacy Fan
  • Urge to kill rising...
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2015, 01:43:19 pm »
Surprised there hasn't been much of an outcry from those who are still running Vista, XP or Linux based systems. Pirates are getting it free whilst they'll need to pay.

I think anybody still running XP or Vista don't really understand what an OS is, anyway and are just quite happy being able to see granddaughter Lucy's latest pregnancy update on facebook.
Pretty happy with Arse taking it.

Disappointing.
[/quote]

Offline reniformis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2015, 02:07:14 pm »

Well, Linux users can have no complaints, they haven't given Microsoft a penny. This is basically a damage repair exercise after Windows 8. It's quite right W8 users get it free, they deserve it for the shite they had to defend after spending their money on it. Not sure about W7 users though, they held their money back when W8 came out, so I'd say fuck 'em but it's a numbers game for Microsoft and they need W7 users on board and it's a massive number. Vista users should get it for the same reasons as W8 users. XP can get fucked, it was a good OS but come on, it's 14 years old. It's about as historically important as the other things that happened during that launch week like the IRA voluntarily disarming and the iPod being introduced. Erm..

And I haven't seen anything that suggests everyone who pirated windows will get a free legit upgrade, just those in China where the original report was sourced. The implication/inference (whichever's the right one) from the reports of the reports is that Microsoft will give it free to those pirates in the third world that can't afford it rather than those in the west who can but just don't want to pay. All hearsay and second-guessing obv.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 02:17:33 pm by reniformis »

Offline hixxstar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dont Worry I'm From The Internet
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2015, 09:30:45 pm »
Correct me if i'm wrong here.... Windows 10 is free for the first year then you have to pay for it ?
That is what i was lead to believe ....  ???
Shanks on Leaving Liverpool FC

"It was the most difficult thing in the world, when I went to tell the chairman........ It was like walking to the electric chair.... That's the way it felt."

Offline rob1408

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2015, 09:39:08 pm »
Correct me if i'm wrong here.... Windows 10 is free for the first year then you have to pay for it ?
That is what i was lead to believe ....  ???
It's a full upgrade with updates and support.

Offline hixxstar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2015, 09:52:29 pm »
It's a full upgrade with updates and support.

Thanx.. i was sure you had to pay after a year.. never know with 'Microshaft'...  ;D

"It was the most difficult thing in the world, when I went to tell the chairman........ It was like walking to the electric chair.... That's the way it felt."

Offline zabadoh

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on with hope in your heart
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2015, 11:40:02 pm »
Thanx.. i was sure you had to pay after a year.. never know with 'Microshaft'...  ;D
If you upgrade your Win 7/8 license after the first year after Win 10's release date, then you have to pay.
“It's impossible,” said Pride.  “It's risky,” said Experience.  “It's pointless,” said Reason.

“Give it a try,” whispered the Heart. - Ken-Obi

Offline hixxstar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2015, 10:35:07 pm »
what i ment to say was.... if you upgrade your win 7.. 8  now, then after a year you have to pay.

you have it for a year or so for free... trial, then pay or revert back to your original windows. that's what i thought it first was..  ;D

Offline Smudgester

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2015, 06:58:19 pm »
Wait ... so is it free or not?

Offline rob1408

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2015, 07:29:44 pm »
Wait ... so is it free or not?
It's free.

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2015, 07:58:57 pm »
Free forever*

* if you upgrade in the first year

It's a bit like unlimited broadband that way
STFU and agree with me.

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2015, 09:12:32 pm »
Free forever*

* if you upgrade in the first year

It's a bit like unlimited broadband that way

Except there is no subscription after the first free year.

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2015, 10:17:56 pm »
yet...

you know the dream for MS and Apple is OS as a subscription service :)
STFU and agree with me.

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2015, 01:39:54 pm »
That's ok, after 3-6 months most will know if it's shite and then you can upgrade or not :)

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2015, 07:19:54 pm »
Microsoft really wants people to upgrade to Windows 10 when it comes out this summer. So much that Microsoft announced at an event in January that upgrading to Windows 10 would be free for a year.

But then what?

I had a chance to sit down with Aaron Woodman, senior director of product marketing at Microsoft, to get the skinny on the “Free Windows 10” offer.

To recap what we’ve known since the Jan. 21 Windows 10 announcement: Microsoft will provide an upgrade from Windows 7 or Windows 8 to Windows 10 for free, for a period of one year from the release of Windows 10. There are some important details to this deal that were revealed, and a few that weren’t. In my talk with Woodman, I got what I think is the definitive take on who will have to pay for Windows 10 and when, and who will not.

Versions you can upgrade from

The Windows 10 upgrade will be free and a one-step process for consumers using the current versions of Windows 7 (SP1) and Windows 8 (8.1). If you’re using an older version (Windows 7 or Windows 8 proper), you’ll have to upgrade to the current version first. Those upgrades are free, too, but Windows 10 won’t upgrade Windows 7 or 8 until it’s made current. That’ll make the upgrade a two-step process for users on older versions.

How long the offer will be good for

From one year after Windows 10 is launched, sometime this summer, you will be able to upgrade from Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8.1 for free. But only if you are a specific kind of user.

The offer isn’t for everyone

The free-upgrade offer is for consumers upgrading their own computers. It’s not available to to users of enterprise licenses of Windows: If you want to upgrade the machine on your desk at your big corporate job, the free offer won’t apply. Your IT department won’t get a bunch of free upgrades to give out; they’ll have to pay for them. Likewise, PC manufacturers won’t get free licenses for Windows 10 to install on new, unsold computers. For these guys, and in general, “in no way is Windows free,” Woodman said.

After a year? Still free

Woodman clarified for me that if you upgrade your PC to Windows 10 with the free offer, you won’t be socked with a payment demand after some arbitrary period. Windows 10 isn’t “freemium.” It won’t convert from a free upgrade to a paid or subscription-supported operating system. He told me, clearly, “Once you’re on Windows 10, you’re on Windows 10, and there will be no additional charge.”

Related: See Microsoft’s Windows 10 site

Except for a very small number of users, that is

There are some individuals who won’t be eligible for the offer, but not many. He implied that even if you miss the one-year free-upgrade window, it’ll still be free: “Basically no consumers will pay for Windows 10,” Woodman said. Almost everybody will get the operating system either on a new PC (where the PC manufacturer pays for it), through work (where the company pays for an upgrade), or through the free-upgrade offer.

There are, though, “edge cases” that add up to a small fraction of Windows users. If you want a fresh copy of Windows 10 to install on a home-built computer or on a virtual machine (like Parallels or VMware Fusion on a Mac), you might have to pay for the operating system. Woodman said, “We never said Windows is free,” but also, “We haven’t made the decision” on whether it will be free for these users, nor what it will cost if it is not free.

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/microsoft-clarifies-who-gets-free-windows-10-114730456889.html
STFU and agree with me.

Offline justsean

• Two goals in his first two minutes of match commentary. Take a bow...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2015, 09:52:09 am »
Quick question for you lads (and lasses) ... I'm looking to buy a new laptop in the next few weeks. Obviously comes with Windows 8.
My question is - if I upgrade from 8 to 10 will it effect the performance at all?

I remember back in the days when I bought my XP machine it was before Vista had been officially released and it was a similar scenario - I was promised the free upgrade. But when I did make the move from XP to Vista on that particular laptop - performance was effected massively (and it wasn't just because Vista is shit).

Any advice would be appreciated ...  :wave

Offline Slick_Beef

• RAWK's Master Baker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2015, 11:48:04 am »
Quick question for you lads (and lasses) ... I'm looking to buy a new laptop in the next few weeks. Obviously comes with Windows 8.
My question is - if I upgrade from 8 to 10 will it effect the performance at all?

I remember back in the days when I bought my XP machine it was before Vista had been officially released and it was a similar scenario - I was promised the free upgrade. But when I did make the move from XP to Vista on that particular laptop - performance was effected massively (and it wasn't just because Vista is shit).

Disclaimer - I haven't used Windows 10 yet. Generally each version of windows does have higher system requirements. However, the jump between Windows XP and Vista was particularly big, and worse, manufactures were slapping "Certified for Windows Vista" stickers on everything, even if it barely met the very minimum requirements and half of the features were disabled. Microsoft were sued for that fiasco and have been a bit more careful since then, so I doubt you'd have the same experience.

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2015, 11:53:41 am »

The hardware requirements for Windows 10 are the same as for 8 so you should be fine.  I have installed the Windows 10 technical preview on a 3 year old Dell laptop and it was fine.

These are the minimum requirements for 8:

Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster with support for PAE, NX, and SSE2
RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) (32-bit) or 2 GB (64-bit)
Hard disk space: 16 GB (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)
Graphics card: Microsoft DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM driver

http://www.neowin.net/news/windows-10-hardware-requirements-to-be-the-same-as-windows-8

Offline justsean

• Two goals in his first two minutes of match commentary. Take a bow...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2015, 01:25:07 pm »
Disclaimer - I haven't used Windows 10 yet. Generally each version of windows does have higher system requirements. However, the jump between Windows XP and Vista was particularly big, and worse, manufactures were slapping "Certified for Windows Vista" stickers on everything, even if it barely met the very minimum requirements and half of the features were disabled. Microsoft were sued for that fiasco and have been a bit more careful since then, so I doubt you'd have the same experience.

Thanks for the reply. This is exactly what happened to me. Sticker and all. Thanks also to elmo_swatloski for the specs. Very useful.

Has anyone else noticed that almost every second version of windows is good and the one in between is awful?

You have:
98 (good)
Millenium (awful)
XP (good)
Vista (awful)
Windows 7 (good)
Windows 8 (awful)

I'm probably missing a few but they are the major launches I remember of the Windows OS.

Offline JasonF

• Frenkie says "Ilaix, don't do it"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Funny T-Shirts
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2015, 01:46:09 pm »
Thanks for the reply. This is exactly what happened to me. Sticker and all. Thanks also to elmo_swatloski for the specs. Very useful.

Has anyone else noticed that almost every second version of windows is good and the one in between is awful?

You have:
98 (good)
Millenium (awful)
XP (good)
Vista (awful)
Windows 7 (good)
Windows 8 (awful)

I'm probably missing a few but they are the major launches I remember of the Windows OS.

Personally I thought they were all improvements other than ME (which I only used briefly, didn't take to) & Vista (which I didn't mind personally, but my hardware was good enough to handle it).

Windows 8 was a good upgrade on 7 (admittedly I've never used the Metro interface, straight to desktop), especially performance wise and I'm really enjoying the Windows 10 technical preview, performance is really good and they've probably achieved what they were trying to do with 8 and 8.1 in terms of the whole desktop/metro thing. I think it'll prove to be very popular when it comes out, the free upgrade won't hurt that I'm sure.