Author Topic: Marvel Musings. Now with Spidey Spoilers.  (Read 631458 times)

Offline Ultimate Bromance

• The Crab
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I like Coulson coming back, he's a pretty popular character, but I do agree it's stupid that they faked the whole thing. Would have been much better if he had died then come back using some sort of magic/ability. Who knows, maybe they're holding something back. It'd be a bit shit if was just retconned for the sake of the TV show.
Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose.

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
That really cheapens the last act of The Avengers for me, his death is the main catalyst for them actually putting their difference aside and teaming up.

Anyway, they needed someone from the movies and he's the only one they'd get for a tv show. I wonder if it'll be episodic, monster/villain of the week, or more of a season long story arc? Looking forward to all the minor/weird comic characters getting a look in.

Both, I'd imagine.

As for the mysterious black guy, apparently he's Rage and not Luke Cage.

Offline Paul JH

• Elmer Fudd. I'm a witch! A WITCH!
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Don't do drugs..."
That really cheapens the last act of The Avengers for me, his death is the main catalyst for them actually putting their difference aside and teaming up.

Agreed. And they've done it before, when the whole point of the end of Thor was that he couldn't get back to Earth because the bridge was destroyed, then he just turns up in the Avengers no problems. Nulified the end completely.

Yeah that was the reason Fury lied. It was already hinted strongly in the movie he might not have died.

No, he lied about the cards being in his pocket. He didn't lie about him being dead. He actually DID die in front of Fury, and completely ruins the whole point of why the Avengers have the focus to carry on after his death.
It's beyond rubbish to then go 'actually, he's ALIVE!'.
Sarcastic Net Pest and Sanctimonious Arse.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Is this not Marvel in a nutshell though?

Every character has been through so many reboots and deaths and so on in the comics, it's only natural they continue this to the films. I like the characters but they way they do this just drives me up the wall.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Paul JH

• Elmer Fudd. I'm a witch! A WITCH!
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Don't do drugs..."
Is this not Marvel in a nutshell though?

Every character has been through so many reboots and deaths and so on in the comics, it's only natural they continue this to the films. I like the characters but they way they do this just drives me up the wall.

AND they'll just explain it in a throwaway line too. No proper explanation. Like the Thor thing. The whole point of the end of Thor was *SPOILER* (do I need to hide it, or has everyone seen the first by now?!) that he couldn't get back to earth, and he was seperated from his love, hence the last line of 'she looks for you' or something. It was a bittersweet ending. Then ruined completely by the fact he just turns up again in Avengers. Again, explained away by a throwaway line by Loki. Rubbish.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 11:03:46 am by Paul JH »
Sarcastic Net Pest and Sanctimonious Arse.

Offline Vintage Nerd

• Legacy Fan
Both, I'd imagine.

As for the mysterious black guy, apparently he's Rage and not Luke Cage.

Yeah, I said the same yesterday on Twitter. Only two characters that fit unless its a whole new persona.
Apparently Bleeding Cool reckon its Dr Strange in the trailer on the 1 minutes ish mark. Doubt that though as his film is rumoured to slot in for phase 3.

AND they'll just explain it in a throwaway line too. No proper explanation. Like the Thor thing. The whole point of the end of Thor was *SPOILER* (do I need to hide it, or has everyone seen the first by now?!) that he couldn't get back to earth, and he was seperated from his love, hence the last line of 'she looks for you' or something. It was a bittersweet ending. Then ruined completely by the fact he just turns up again in Avengers. Again, explained away by a throwaway line by Loki. Rubbish.

The Thor thing will be elaborated on in Thor 2 though. It's the "dark magic" that Odin used to send Thor back to Earth that starts the problems with the Elves.
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."

Hunter S. Thompso
n

Offline RedSandgrounder

• Legacy Fan
I read somewhere that Coulsen might be the Marvel Cinematic Universe version of The Vision, maybe SHIELD had his image and brain patterns on record, found a way to keep his life force/soul in the 'program' and uploaded him into the hologram, if that makes sense?
PSN: DHitchers

Offline RJH

• doesn't know his alphabet
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
No, he lied about the cards being in his pocket. He didn't lie about him being dead. He actually DID die in front of Fury, and completely ruins the whole point of why the Avengers have the focus to carry on after his death.

They don't actually show Coulson dead though, do they?
You see Fury standing there, and medics running past him. You only have Fury's word that he actually died. It seemed to me at the time that it was deliberately done that way. So I think it could well be something that was planned, rather than Marvel going back and retconning anything.

I will agree with you though that if they just sort of handwave his return and then quickly move one, it would be rubbish and rather pointless. But it could be used as a more major plot point in the future - with the Avengers being split over Fury tricking them like that.

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Clark Gregg, who plays Coulson, says his return from the dead will be a big plotpoint in the first season.

Offline Rusty Oysterburger

• Might be George Gillett
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I'd rather he was actually dead in The Avengers and then brought back later on by magic/aliens/cloning/time travel.

Its daft but it would be better for rewatching The Avengers and its pretty standard in comics for decades now.
www.twitter.com/savagefletch

"'Do it?' Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome? I did it thirty-five minutes ago."

Offline MagicB8all

• Legacy Fan
  • Meh
Yeah, I said the same yesterday on Twitter. Only two characters that fit unless its a whole new persona.
Apparently Bleeding Cool reckon its Dr Strange in the trailer on the 1 minutes ish mark. Doubt that though as his film is rumoured to slot in for phase 3.

The Thor thing will be elaborated on in Thor 2 though. It's the "dark magic" that Odin used to send Thor back to Earth that starts the problems with the Elves.
interesting. I thought Mjolnir allowed Thor to open wormholes.
Goodbye & thank you Rafa. You've given us more than we ever had a right to expect from you and you stayed loyal and fought for us even when some of our own turned on you. I truly hope that you find somewhere with the support that you deserve & win everything in sight.

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Looking forward to the series, my only hope is it remains reasonably seperate from the films in that I don't have to be up to date with that to get multiple references and plots in the films.

Guessing it'll premier just after before Thor The Dark World to act as a nice filler between Thor and Captain America next April
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Marvel panel at Comic Con just revealed the title for Avengers 2...

Avengers: Age of Ultron

So that's the villain confirmed!

Sounded like a really good panel. Tom Hiddleston took to the stage as Loki, which was predictably awesome:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/6V_PA1qoAFU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/6V_PA1qoAFU</a>

And the cast of Guardians of the Galaxy all came out, and despite only filming for two weeks showed what was apparently a very impressive teaser. Oh, and Karen Gillan has shaved her head for her role in the film?!

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
Massively disappointed with the Age of Ultron news because the comic event which has just finished was incredibly shite. 10 issues and you never even saw Ultron. Guessing that the movie and comic will share only the name and have a completely different story.

In the comics, Ultron achieves sentience and takes over the world overnight. Wolverine goes back in time and kills Hank Pym (Ant-Man who is getting his own film soon), which then creates an alternate universe where Tony Stark is now Ultron. Sounds reasonably ok but trust me, it wasn't.

I can see them maybe using that overall plot line but all the hows and whys of how they actually get there will be completely different. They can't use Wolverine for a start! And I can't see Hugh Jackman's Wolverine going back in time to kill a friend, even if they did get the rights to use the character.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
The name's shit btw.
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Reading over the Age of Ultron plot description on Wiki, seems to me that very little will remain the same! Maybe have Hank Pym as a S.H.I.E.L.D scientist who has created Ultron as part of Nick Fury's Phase Two plans, and then the Avengers have to come together to stop Ultron when he turns?

Offline Geormajesty

• Legacy Fan
They can't use Wolverine for a start! And I can't see Hugh Jackman's Wolverine going back in time to kill a friend, even if they did get the rights to use the character.
Whedon's confirmed Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver will be in Age of Ultron, and Quicksilver's been cast in DOFP, so Fox giving the rights up might not be that unlikely.

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch are the only characters which can be in both series, because they were in the Ultimates so the rights are funky. They can't be said to be either mutants or that Magneto is their father in the Avengers films though.

Offline Beav

• Football is impatient. Loves Vader's Helmet.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I'd rather he was actually dead in The Avengers and then brought back later on by magic/aliens/cloning/time travel.

Its daft but it would be better for rewatching The Avengers and its pretty standard in comics for decades now.

Theyd be able to get away with a daft or magic-y explanation as its Marvel, hope they do that route.
Twitter:  http://twitter.com/__Beav

Ah. Another Manchester United fan crashes out from the woodwork like a bemused koala that has taken three hits of crystal meth.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
Did Ultron not create the Vision, who was rumoured to be Agent Coulson?
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Geormajesty

• Legacy Fan
Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch are the only characters which can be in both series, because they were in the Ultimates so the rights are funky. They can't be said to be either mutants or that Magneto is their father in the Avengers films though.
Ah right, didn't know that.

Did Ultron not create the Vision, who was rumoured to be Agent Coulson?
Vin Diesel's been cast, apparently.

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Ah right, didn't know that.
Vin Diesel's been cast, apparently.

His role in the Marvel universe is being kept under wraps but he does look like a suitable Vision. Outside possibility of Thanos himself.

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Cool concept art from Guardians of the Galaxy.

And a description of the footage shown:

The footage opens with Star Lord (Pratt) on an alien planet. He finds some sort of ancient temple and enters it, looking for something specific. He finds a strange spherical thing on a stand and picks it up. As it comes to life, blue light pouring from it, a group of armed men enter the cave behind Star Lord. Korath (Hounsou) steps forward, gun up, and orders Star Lord to drop it. Pratt's more than happy to do so, not wanting to get shot.

"Who are you?" Korath asks.

I love how Pratt oversells it when he answers, "Star Lord."

"Who?"

The whole next scene shows Star Lord being processed as part of a line-up of some sort, and it's an excuse to introduce all of the Guardians in costume and in make-up and right away, it's just visually awesome. So much fun to look at. Such cool designs. It's John C. Reilly reading off the files on each of them, with Peter Serafinowicz playing off of him, and they've got a great rhythm going back and forth.

So we see Gamora, and it's a wild look for Saldana. Dave Bautista's Drax is mammoth and savage-looking. Groot, who appears to be completely CGI, is so tall that he has to lean in to look out at Rhomann Dey (Reilly). Reilly calls him "house-plant-slash-muscle," and I'm dying to see what a fight with Groot looks like.

And then the moment that I think is going to be a lightning bolt for pop culture. The introduction of Rocket Raccoon. Laugh if you want to, but that little sonofabitch is going to be the biggest thing next summer. They have to get the voice right, and I've heard all sorts of wild stories about the search for that voice so far. I'm shocked they didn't announce it today, but I guess that gives me a reason to go to D23 in a couple of weeks. They mention that his arrest record includes over 90 counts of vehicle theft. He just sits there and bristles at them, then sneezes, and it's effortless animation. He just looks like a pissed off little sentient raccoon.

The last one they name is Chris Pratt, and as they talk about Star Lord, he acts like he's turning an invisible crank, gradually extending his middle finger to them. When he finishes, he looks surprised by it and apologizes to them. "Oh, sorry, I don't really know how this machine works."

Reilly shakes his head, unimpressed. "They call themselves the Guardians Of The Galaxy."

Serafinowicz shakes his head, equally underwhelmed. "What a bunch of a-holes."

The rest of the reel was quick imagery, all cut to the song "Hooked On A Feeling." If you don't know it, it's one gloriously strange choice. We see vehicles and planetscapes and aliens galore, and there was one shot of Rocket Raccoon mid-attack that is so preposterously cool, filled with such attitude, that it is unfair. You can't show me a taste of something that crazy and not follow up with the main course. I want to see this movie more than either of the sequels at today's Marvel panel.

http://www.hitfix.com/motion-captured/marvels-strangest-film-so-far-guardians-of-the-galaxy-makes-a-strong-hall-h-debut#FgQDhYLqQGmhDQqh.99

Offline Beav

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I literally know nothing about Guardians of the Galaxy, but I'm excited for it.

Ah. Another Manchester United fan crashes out from the woodwork like a bemused koala that has taken three hits of crystal meth.

Offline Vintage Nerd

• Legacy Fan
Agents of SHIELD started in the States last night, over here on Friday!
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."

Hunter S. Thompso
n

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Thor: The Dark World Trailer (it's a couple of days old)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLdgMPcXWXE

Avengers Age Of Ultron Teaser (Comic Con crap quality)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIl8z2CrTEQ
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 10:51:05 pm by Samie The Red »

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
The new Thor film is out next week, should hopefully mean we also get a trailer for The Winter Soldier out soon
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
The new Thor film is out next week, should hopefully mean we also get a trailer for The Winter Soldier out soon

Thor 2 isn't out till October 30. And in the US it's November 8, probably won't get it until then.

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Thor 2 isn't out till October 30. And in the US it's November 8, probably won't get it until then.

My mistake :(  got my dates mixed up.

Looking forward to watching Agents Of Shield tonight though

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
Not to brag but I'm going to NYCC in 2 weeks so I hope there's a Thor 2 panel there seeing the movie will be out less than a month after ;D

Offline Vintage Nerd

• Legacy Fan

X-Men trailer that was at Comic Con is attached to it, stateside definitely anyway.

Hunter S. Thompso
n

Offline MagicB8all

• Legacy Fan
  • Meh
Agreed. And they've done it before, when the whole point of the end of Thor was that he couldn't get back to Earth because the bridge was destroyed, then he just turns up in the Avengers no problems. Nulified the end completely.

They explained that by Loki saying Odin summoned the power to send him back

Also in the comics Mjolnir can open wormholes, transport Thor anywhere in the 9 realms, and other effects like creating vortices, forcefields etc  - the point being Thor can use Mjolnir to transport himself and others between Asgaard and Earth
Goodbye & thank you Rafa. You've given us more than we ever had a right to expect from you and you stayed loyal and fought for us even when some of our own turned on you. I truly hope that you find somewhere with the support that you deserve & win everything in sight.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
According to Variety, it appears to be between Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Paul Rudd for the lead role in Ant-Man.

I'm a big JGL fan, but the idea of Rudd as a Marvel superhero just fills me with glee. I'd guess that JGL is the far likelier of the two to actually get the role.

http://variety.com/2013/film/news/paul-rudd-joseph-gordon-levitt-ant-man-1200724612/
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 11:37:07 pm by Barefoot Doctor »

Offline Geormajesty

• Legacy Fan
According to Variety, it appears to be between Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Paul Rudd for the lead role in Ant-Man.

I'm a big JGL fan, but the idea of Rudd as a Marvel superhero just fills me with glee. I'd guess that JGL is the far likelier of the two to actually get the role.

http://variety.com/2013/film/news/paul-rudd-joseph-gordon-levitt-ant-man-1200724612/
Paul Rudd would be amazing, I love the man.

I guess that confirms that Simon Pegg really was just trolling when he dropped a few hints about him getting the part on twitter in the summer, though. It's a shame, I would have loved to have seen him get the part.

Offline Beav

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Ill third the idea of Paul Rudd. Id love that.

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan

And the first screengrabs of the film

Spoiler

[close]
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 02:44:12 pm by OsirisMVZ »

Offline bryanod

• Probably in Boyzone with a name like that...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RPLP Champion 2012/2013 & 2013/2014 Double Winner
How is that not realised for the 4th July weekend.
Men of lofty genius when they are doing the least work are most active

- Leonardo Da Vinci

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Looking forward to Thor 2. Captain America is least interesting of the lot.