Author Topic: How Intelligent Are Other Animals?  (Read 101310 times)

Offline brussels sprout

• Fucking Beaut.
  • Kopite
How Intelligent Are Other Animals?
« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2013, 06:20:06 am »
I met a Utd fan once, who could tie his own laces.
Photos, or it didn't happen.
A bastion of invincibility

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: How Intelligent Are Other Animals?
« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2013, 06:24:09 am »
I met a Utd fan once, who could tie his own laces.
Well play'd sir.
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline NOTBORNIN1982

• and neither is he the best poster on here, not even close in fact. Maybe the 1982nd.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand
« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2013, 07:39:34 am »
These sort of things push me to ponder the magnificence of the earth. There is something infinitely amazing in the nature of creatures who live with delicacy on the earth without doing anyone harm, just going about their business. The reality about an animal is far more moving and altogether more stunning than all the myths about it.

There are infinite examples of animal intelligence yet It is just like man's arrogance and cheek to call an animal dumb because it is dumb to his dull sensitivity.

"How much do you smoke, sir? Two packs a day, is that right? Pussy. I go through two lighters a day. That's right, two lighters! You're a health nut compared to me."

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2013, 10:56:27 pm »
I once read that 80% of all life on the planet, by mass, is microbial and mostly lives underground. My guess is those fuckers will around a long, long time after we're gone.

I'm wrong here. All those guys below depend on all our animals and plants and water and shit. They wouldn't last much longer than us, in the event of some surface razing catastrophe. Some would survive, though.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2013, 11:19:56 pm »
....Some would survive, though.
The fittest...

A creature I have an amount of respect for and a degree of interest in is the Springtail.
If you look carefully, you often see these when you lift up stones or leaf litter in your garden, they're tiny and jump around vaguely like fleas, and variations of the species exist just about throughout the whole world.
I think it was an Attenburgh programme on TV a good few years ago that showed them in Antartica living in the moss and said due to the intense cold slowing down their metabolism, those particular ones down there have a lifespan estimated to be perhaps over 50 years. Quite remarkable for such tiny critters.
Incidentally, I have also read that here in the UK there are reckoned to be several hundred varieties of them yet to be formally identifed and named so if anyone wants immortality  through one of these being named after themselves, it's perhaps an opportunity not to be missed.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 11:55:41 pm by The Gulleysucker »
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #45 on: April 4, 2013, 12:31:45 pm »
Metacognition: Ability to 'think about thinking' not limited to humans

Humans' closest animal relatives, chimpanzees, have the ability to "think about thinking" – what is called "metacognition," according to new research by scientists at Georgia State University and the University at Buffalo.

Michael J. Beran and Bonnie M. Perdue of the Georgia State Language Research Center (LRC) and J. David Smith of the University at Buffalo conducted the research, published in the journal Psychological Science of the Association for Psychological Science. "The demonstration of metacognition in nonhuman primates has important implications regarding the emergence of self-reflective mind during humans' cognitive evolution," the research team noted. Metacognition is the ability to recognize one's own cognitive states. For example, a game show contestant must make the decision to "phone a friend" or risk it all, dependent on how confident he or she is in knowing the answer. "There has been an intense debate in the scientific literature in recent years over whether metacognition is unique to humans," Beran said. Chimpanzees at Georgia State's LRC have been trained to use a language-like system of symbols to name things, giving researchers a unique way to query animals about their states of knowing or not knowing. In the experiment, researchers tested the chimpanzees on a task that required them to use symbols to name what food was hidden in a location. If a piece of banana was hidden, the chimpanzees would report that fact and gain the food by touching the symbol for banana on their symbol keyboards. But then, the researchers provided chimpanzees either with complete or incomplete information about the identity of the food rewards. In some cases, the chimpanzees had already seen what item was available in the hidden location and could immediately name it by touching the correct symbol without going to look at the item in the hidden location to see what it was. In other cases, the chimpanzees could not know what food item was in the hidden location, because either they had not seen any food yet on that trial, or because even if they had seen a food item, it may not have been the one moved to the hidden location. In those cases, they should have first gone to look in the hidden location before trying to name any food. In the end, chimpanzees named items immediately and directly when they knew what was there, but they sought out more information before naming when they did not already know. The research team said, "This pattern of behavior reflects a controlled information-seeking capacity that serves to support intelligent responding, and it strongly suggests that our closest living relative has metacognitive abilities closely related to those of humans."

source

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #46 on: April 4, 2013, 01:59:33 pm »
Enjoying this thread - some brilliant articles and other media posted.  Those videos could soften even the meanest hearts!

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #47 on: April 4, 2013, 03:31:08 pm »

Offline Quaid

• Thinks clinical is cretinous. Takes one to know one.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2013, 05:16:46 pm »
“By definition, you have to live until you die. Better to make that life as complete and enjoyable an experience as possible, in case death is shite, which I suspect it will be.”

Offline TitanTrigger

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #49 on: May 1, 2013, 01:40:26 am »
One of my favourite videos is monkeys on equality  :D

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/GoE_6ncwESM" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/GoE_6ncwESM</a>

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #50 on: May 1, 2013, 02:14:37 pm »
Washoe (c. September 1965 – October 30, 2007) was a female common chimpanzee who was the first non-human to learn to communicate using American Sign Language, as part of a research experiment on animal language acquisition.[1]

Washoe learned approximately 350 words of ASL.[2] She also taught her adopted son Loulis some American Sign Language.[3][4][5] Using similar teaching methods, several other chimpanzees were later taught 150 or more signs, which they were able to combine to form complex messages.

wiki

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #51 on: May 8, 2013, 11:44:19 am »
Plants 'Talk' To Each Other Using Nanoscale Sound Waves To Help Them Grow, Study Suggests

The word in the garden is that basil is good to have around. Plants are known to communicate with each other via shade, aromatic chemicals, and physical touch, promoting processes such as growth and defense against disease, as well as attraction of bees and other pollinators.

Now, online today inBMC Ecology, researchers report a new type of mechanism that some plants use to communicate. The team planted common chili pepper seeds (Capsicum annuum, pictured) near a basil plant, with barriers that prevented the basil from deploying its usual growth-promoting tricks.

Despite the separation, chili seeds germinated faster when basil was a neighbor, suggesting that a message was getting through. Because light, touch, and chemical "smell" were ruled out, the team proposes that the finding points to a new type of communication between plants, possibly involving nanoscale sound waves, traveling through the dirt to bring encouraging "words" to the growing seeds.

Understanding this novel communication could help growers boost crop yields and increase global food supplies. How neighborly.

source

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #52 on: May 8, 2013, 12:33:13 pm »
Plants 'Talk' To Each Other Using Nanoscale Sound Waves .....

Nanoscale Sound Waves? What are they meant to be as there's no such thing?

Sounds a tad new age woo to me, I'm surprised quantum wasn't somehow mentioned too, so I looked up the paper and had a gander. It's here .. http://www.biomedcentral.com/content/pdf/1472-6785-13-19.pdf

No mention of nanoscale or soundwaves in it at all.

On page four of the pdf, right at the top, the authors state...

We found that this is the case, indicating that both competitive and facilitative interactions between plants are mediated by signalling modalities that remain to be identified.

I suspect some reporter's gone off and made up their own explanation for it.
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #53 on: May 9, 2013, 09:29:24 pm »

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #54 on: May 9, 2013, 09:58:08 pm »
This is a really interesting subject. I was in the BTO and we were ringing birds, that migrated off to Africa each year. Yet the next year, they would come back to the same exact place, at the same time. How on earth do they remember, I always use to wonder.

Same with Whales that swim across oceans yet always end up in the same place each year. The human race need sat navigation yet these animals have incredible intelligence and work it out themselves. We are the superior race supposedly, I'm not so sure.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #55 on: May 13, 2013, 05:21:33 pm »
Honey Bees Know the World is Round and Can Calculate Angles

Today I found out that Honey Bees know the world is round and can calculate angles.

It turns out, scientists have figured out how to interpret a Honey Bee’s dance; a Honey Bees dance is where they communicate where to find food, a new home, and things of this nature.  Using this information, an experiment was done called the “Schafberg Experiment”, which was named after the mountain it was performed on.  The only source of food for a colony was placed on the far side of the mountain.  The bees could not fly over the mountain.  However, when they communicated where the food was to be found, they communicated this angle exactly across the mountain, relative to themselves, even though it was an angle they had never flown to the food source, but rather would have had to figure out in their head.

Further evidence of this amazing ability and that they take into account the roundness of the earth is found in their typical food finding dances.  When Honey Bees dance to communicate where a good food source is, they will dance on a comb surface.  The dance consists of the bee turning in circles, on each revolution the bee will bisect the circle at an angle;  the angle with respect to the 12 o’clock represents the angle to fly with respect to the sun.  For instance, if the bee ran from 6 to 12 o’clock, this would mean fly straight forward towards the sun; 7 to 1 o’clock would mean fly just to the right of the sun; 12 to 6 o’clock, fly directly away from the sun.

But it gets even better; these little dances can take a really long time.  So the angle of the sun is going to have changed in the meantime.  The dances might even take all night to communicate.  So while doing the dance, the bee actually calculates the change in angle based on where the sun is right now with respect to the hive.  So if it’s at night when they are doing the dance, they calibrate the angles to associate with where the sun is right now on the other side of the world!  Likewise, when the bees are following the instructions and flying towards the food, they calibrate what they learned based on where the sun is right now vs when the instructions were given.  So basically, bee’s are tiny little math nerds with amazing time keeping abilities and ability to calculate distances without any discernible measuring device… NERDS!!!!

Now in addition to knowing angles, they also need to know how far they need to go in each direction. In order to accomplish this, they wiggle their abdomen’s while crossing the circle.  The more wiggles, the greater the distance; and like with the angles, this is no vague notion of distance.  The bees take and communicate relatively precise measurements on how far they need to go.  Now if the distance to the food source is under about 80 meters, it has been found that the bees will not do the wiggle part of the dance, but will just give the direction to the best spot to go.

But this isn’t the only fascinating things honey bees do.  Today I also found out a boatload of other crazy information about the absolutely amazing Honey Bee:

(spoilered for length)

Spoiler
Honey Bees share out jobs based on their age.  For instance, worker bees that are 1-2 days old spend their time cleaning cells, starting with the one they were born in, and keeping the brood warm; from 3-5 days old they feed older larvae;  from 6-11 days old they feed the youngest larvae; from 12-17 days old they produce wax, build combs, carry food, and perform undertaker duties; from 18-21 days old they get guard duty, protecting the hive entrance;  from 22 days on until their death at around 40-45 days, they get to fly from the hive collecting pollen, nectar, water, pollinating plants, and things like that.
Honey Bees do die when stinging humans, but not when stinging many other things.  The reason being that the barbs in the stinger get caught in our flesh and rip off the stinger and some of the bee’s insides attached to the stinger, spelling certain doom for the bee.  For stinging insects, for instance, this is not the case and they can continue to sting the insect multiple times without harm to themselves.
Honey Bees can fly around 15-20 miles per hour.
Honey Bees can’t see red, but they can see well in the ultra-violet;  flowers then end up being like beacons for them as they reflect a ton of ultra-violet light.
Honey Bees are not native to the Americas.  They were brought over by Europeans.  Native Americans called Honey Bees “White Man’s Flies”.
A Honey Bee colony will fly a total of around 55,000 miles to make just one pound of honey.  In addition to this, a hive can produce as much as 60 pounds of honey in a good season with about 25 pounds more than they need to survive the winter.
When a colony gets crowded, the bees will decide to make a new queen bee.  The process to do this is as follows:

step 1: Bees construct up to 20 wax queen cells
step 2: The current Queen lays fertilized eggs in each queen cell.
step 3: The young nurse bees feed the young queen larvae with a special rich creamy food called Royal Jelly and extend the cell downwards until it is about 25mm in length.
step 4: Nine days after laying, the first queen cell is sealed with a layer of wax.
step 5: A large swarm, called the prime swarm, of bees leaves the hive led by the older bees.  The old queen gets starved so she is thinner and able to fly.  The older bees then convince the old queen to join the swarm and they go off scouting for a new place to create a colony.  Amazingly, this swarm will take a lot of breaks along the way, sending out scouts to go search.  Scouts report back and from this information, they chose the best spot to go next.
step 6: Eight days later the first virgin queen leaves her cell.  Now, either she then takes an additional small swarm and leaves this hive to start a new one.  Or she locates and kills her sister potential queens by stinging them through the wax wall of their cells.
step 7: The young queen flies around and orients herself to her new surroundings.
step 8: The queen will take several mating flights and will mate with up to 20 male bees called drones; the drones will die after mating.
step 9: Three days later the mated queen will begin to lay fertilized eggs at a rate of about 2000 per day.  Fertilized eggs become female worker bees.  Unfertilized eggs get fertilized by male drones and become new drones.  At any given time there is 1 queen bee, up to 40,000 or so female worker bees and a few hundred male drones.
step 10: This queen will stay with the colony for at least a year until a large enough swarm is available to go start a new colony somewhere else.  Though the worker bees only live 40 or so days and drone bees die in mating or are evicted from the hive in the autumn to conserve food as they do no actual work, the queen bee can live up to 5 years.

An average sized colony in the summer will contain over 35,000-40,000 bees and in the winter about 5000 bees.
Honey Bees are cold blooded.  Unlike many cold blooded creatures, they do have the ability to generate heat by vibrating their bodies; a bee in flight for instance will typically have a body temperature of about 130 F.  However, if caught in cold rain or the like, a bee can lose the ability to move.  A honeybee hive is typically kept at around 98 F.
Honey Bees make honey by taking nectar from flowers and mixing it with enzymes from glands in their mouths.  This is then stored in hexagonal wax honeycombs until the water content has been reduced to around 17%.  Once this happens worker bees cap the combs with a wax seal until the bees need it for food, for instance in the winter time.
Capped honey can be kept without spoiling for many thousands of years; the current oldest known honey that is still good being found in the tombs of Pharaohs, put there over 3000 years ago and still tasty.
Honey Bees make wax by clustering a bunch of bees together, raising their body temperatures.  Their wax producing glands under their abdomen then slowly secrets slivers of wax.  Other worker bees then harvest these wax strands and take them where they are needed.

It takes eating about 6 pounds of honey for Honey Bees to produce about 1 pound of wax.
Royal Jelly, the food only fed to the queen and future queen larvae, is a creamy white color and is very rich in proteins and fatty acids.  It is a substance produced by glands in the mouth of young bees.  Because so little is needed (only enough for one bee), it is extremely expensive to buy, though supposedly has many health benefits associated with it.
Honey Bees do not hibernate.  They stay very active year round, though in the winter primarily stick to staying inside their hive for warmth as they are cold blooded.
Honey Bees are generally considered the highest form of insect life with the most sophisticated colonies and complex behaviors, even among other bee types.
Changing queens will change the personality and behavior of bee colonies.  Beekeepers use this fact to control certain bee-haviors among colonies like aggressiveness and enthusiasm for their work.
If the queen bee dies prematurely, the worker bees will immediately start doing what is necessary to create a new one from existing larvae.  As long as there are larvae that are under 3 days old, they can be converted to being a queen bee.  The bees know if the queen dies because they will stop smelling her pheromones.
Honey Bees pheromone communication is extremely sophisticated.
Contrary to popular belief, Honey Bees do in fact sleep, though there is always a ton of activity in the hive 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.  Research done in 1988 does show though that occasionally Honey Bees will take a rest and become relaxed, body temperature drops, and become somewhat unresponsive.  Their sleep is nothing like human sleep, but it is considered a form of sleep.
It would only take about one ounce of honey to fuel a honey bee for a flight around the world!  Now that’s efficiency.

Two million flowers must be tapped to make just one pound of honey (no wonder they need to be so efficient).
Smoke triggers bees to stop whatever they are doing and consume as much honey as they can as there may be a need to abandon the hive if there is a fire.  This allows beekeepers to divert their attention so they don’t get swarmed while they do things to the hive.
Beekeeping has been going on for about 13,000 years, with the Egyptians particularly having developed very sophisticated means for keeping hives and harvesting honey.
A Honey Bee can fly as far as 5 miles from the hive to search for food.
Ounce for ounce, honey is one of the healthiest things you can eat and contains many beneficiary medicinal values.  It’s also a decent antibacterial and works extremely well at helping get rid of pink eye and helping burns heal as well as soothing the pain of deep burns.  It has also been shown to help allergies, if you eat honey made from the area you live in.
After working 16 hour days making honey for about 20 days of it’s life (1/2 it’s life), a worker bee will only be able to make about 1/12 of a teaspoon of honey in that lifespan.
[close]

source

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #56 on: May 17, 2013, 11:34:07 pm »
Honey Bees Know the World is Round and Can Calculate Angles

On review, only half of this sentence is true. Bees can indeed calculate angles but I would stop short at them knowing the world is round. They know what works, which is a different thing.

Offline Quaid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: June 14, 2013, 10:12:28 am »
Asked myself, and subsequently Google this question earlier!

http://science.howstuffworks.com/zoology/mammals/question643.htm
“By definition, you have to live until you die. Better to make that life as complete and enjoyable an experience as possible, in case death is shite, which I suspect it will be.”

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #58 on: June 19, 2013, 01:38:28 pm »
About seven years ago, avian experts announced that nearly everything previously written and taught about the intelligence of birds was incorrect. Scientific studies were repeatedly showing that birds have complex brains as flexible and inventive as any mammalian brain. In fact, it is now clear that the cognitive capacity of birds rivals that of primates.

Chickens in particular have sophisticated social behaviors and are now understood to exist in stable social groups. They identify each other by facial features and are capable of knowing and recognizing over 100 different individuals. Behavioral scientists have identified 25 to 30 distinct vocalizations used by chickens to communicate with each other. In fact, through additional studies, scientists have confirmed that chickens are capable of long-term memory, self-control, and the ability to think about the future. Roosters will give favored foods to hens to curry favor for future mating, and hens worry about the safety of their young. Psychologist Dr. Chris Evans observed, 'Perhaps most persuasive is the chicken’s intriguing ability to understand that an object, when taken away and hidden, nevertheless continues to exist. This is beyond the capacity of small children.' source

Offline ManchesterBlue

• Hologram fan with digital flag 'full members cup runners up 1986'.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blue Moon, you saw me standing alone
« Reply #59 on: June 19, 2013, 02:05:10 pm »
Maybe not quite in the same league as a chimp learning sign language but we had a cat who would take his toys (a furry mice &  snake) down to his food bowl and would make sure their heads were in the bowl so they could "eat". That showed an incredible level of thought in my view.

Offline U can call me Cookie

• Chocolate chip on my shoulder. Let's get ready to crumble!
  • Main Stander
« Reply #60 on: June 20, 2013, 04:08:20 pm »
About seven years ago, avian experts announced that nearly everything previously written and taught about the intelligence of birds was incorrect. Scientific studies were repeatedly showing that birds have complex brains as flexible and inventive as any mammalian brain. In fact, it is now clear that the cognitive capacity of birds rivals that of primates.

Chickens in particular have sophisticated social behaviors and are now understood to exist in stable social groups. They identify each other by facial features and are capable of knowing and recognizing over 100 different individuals. Behavioral scientists have identified 25 to 30 distinct vocalizations used by chickens to communicate with each other. In fact, through additional studies, scientists have confirmed that chickens are capable of long-term memory, self-control, and the ability to think about the future. Roosters will give favored foods to hens to curry favor for future mating, and hens worry about the safety of their young. Psychologist Dr. Chris Evans observed, 'Perhaps most persuasive is the chicken’s intriguing ability to understand that an object, when taken away and hidden, nevertheless continues to exist. This is beyond the capacity of small children.'

Gotta say, that gives me pause for thought when reaching for the KFC or Nandos.
Though, is there any reason for me to consider the intelligence of my potential meal? Apart from my own subjectiveness.

Also, I may be wrong, but doesn't the intelligence of an animal influence the stringency of ethics applications for testing and research on animals? Does the current knowledge make the case for a re-evaluation of standards?

Maybe not quite in the same league as a chimp learning sign language but we had a cat who would take his toys (a furry mice &  snake) down to his food bowl and would make sure their heads were in the bowl so they could "eat". That showed an incredible level of thought in my view.

They were his henchmen... Watch your back. ;D

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #61 on: June 20, 2013, 04:20:27 pm »

If they are so intelligent, why do they keep getting eaten? You'd a thunk they'd of hatched a plan by now!
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #62 on: June 20, 2013, 04:42:10 pm »
Only just came across this thread, what a great read that OP!

Amazing!

Offline Quaid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: July 2, 2013, 09:23:25 am »
BBC article about how microbes living deep underground will be the last survivors on earth. Makes sense as it is believed that life first began with the formation of bacteria in deep sea hydrothermal vents billions of years ago.

Offline Quaid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: July 2, 2013, 08:35:42 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/jmB3KecuS9s#at=164" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/jmB3KecuS9s#at=164</a>

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Liverpool
« Reply #65 on: July 2, 2013, 09:20:17 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/jmB3KecuS9s#at=164" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/jmB3KecuS9s#at=164</a>

I only found this video for the first time a few weeks back, quite incredible. At first I was convinced the thing was a guy dressed as a bear, but its clearly not.
The question is, is this cruel or does the bear enjoy it? Personally, I think its out of order - bears aren't meant to entertain humans (except maybe Bungle or Yogi)
"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Online Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
  • My name is Henry Gale. I'm from Minnesota.
« Reply #66 on: July 4, 2013, 06:32:37 pm »
Some animals look really intelligent! But not cats there thick as shit. Well my cat is anyway.

Offline Pinky_Bieber

• shit fan whose IQ is unlikely to be exceeding 59
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: July 4, 2013, 06:49:16 pm »
there is no such thing like animal intelligence...Animals dont have intelligence, they have instict

the only species without instict on earth are human beings,therefore we have intelligence

we have intelligence because we have choices...we can also ask the question "WHY"

YNWA

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #68 on: July 4, 2013, 07:07:40 pm »
Like WHY you haven't read the thread or if you did, WHY you didn't understand it.

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Would welcome a premature one, apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: July 4, 2013, 07:17:40 pm »
Last nights Horizon showing Chimps have intelligence - in a nutshell.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b036mrrj/Horizon_20122013_What_Makes_us_Human/
Plenty well, no pray; big bellyache, heap God

Offline ♠Dirty Harry♠

• Michael Pain the tittie-fixated inflatable doll salesman
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: July 4, 2013, 07:25:59 pm »
there is no such thing like animal intelligence...Animals dont have intelligence, they have instict

the only species without instict on earth are human beings,therefore we have intelligence

we have intelligence because we have choices...we can also ask the question "WHY"

We have instincts, I engaged my face with my palm once I finished reading that, no thought required.

Offline Pinky_Bieber

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: July 4, 2013, 07:35:01 pm »
Like WHY you haven't read the thread or if you did, WHY you didn't understand it.

Why you are being so offensive? Maybe there is still some animal instict in humans blood  ;D
YNWA

Offline Pinky_Bieber

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: July 4, 2013, 07:39:03 pm »
We have instincts, I engaged my face with my palm once I finished reading that, no thought required.

we dont have instincts, we have choices

we can choose to be vegeterian for moral reasons, while a lion cant...he cant because he have instincts

the last person on the big scene who believed that we have instict was Hitler...

« Last Edit: July 4, 2013, 09:01:30 pm by Pinky_Bieber »
YNWA

Offline StrikingMidfield

• Legacy Fan
  • A red and green heart
« Reply #73 on: July 4, 2013, 08:39:12 pm »
Always though cats were very intelligent. That's really quite interesting honestly, for them to have the level of thought to understand that the toys are "animals", that they need to "eat" and that there heads are where they would "eat". Sounds basic of course, but it's really impressive in my opinion that a cat could do that.
Liverpool FC - Seattle Sounders FC

Offline ♠Dirty Harry♠

• Michael Pain the tittie-fixated inflatable doll salesman
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: July 4, 2013, 08:55:54 pm »

we can choose to be vegeterian for moral reasons, while the lion cant...he cant because he have instincts

the last person on the big scene who believed that we have instict was Hitler...

Are you okay?

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: July 4, 2013, 09:23:30 pm »

Although we are incapable of resolving WHY we can't live together, in peace and comfort without excessive greed and selfishness.

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #76 on: July 4, 2013, 09:30:40 pm »
Why you are being so offensive? Maybe there is still some animal instict in humans blood  ;D

Have you read the thread?

Offline zero zero

• Karma's a bitch. Innit.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: July 4, 2013, 09:52:50 pm »
Without listing all of our instincts; when you have a child you'll find your parental instincts kick in when they let out their distress call.

Now that you're posting on the grown-ups board, it is rather expected you read the posts and the various articles or vids contained therein. Give it a try, you might learn something.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #78 on: July 4, 2013, 10:08:30 pm »
Paul the Octopus that kept picking the winning teams in the World Cup. That was clever.....Not picking the teams of course, but that he had given himself a human name, Paul.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #79 on: July 4, 2013, 10:16:25 pm »
Loretta? What happened you?