Author Topic: My Favourite Player - #17 Steve McManaman  (Read 11463 times)

Offline Juan Loco

• down in Acapulco. LIkes 'em salty and succulent, the wee lambies!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We've got our valuation and we're sticking to it
My Favourite Player - #17 Steve McManaman
« on: December 14, 2012, 02:06:18 am »
Every time I hear the name I let out a little sigh.

Maybe it’s out of nostalgia, maybe out a sense of missed opportunity, or maybe because as a player he meant different things to different people.

If you were around in the glory years of the 70s and the 80s there’s a chance you associate McManaman with the failure of the 90s. Perhaps you see him as a symbol of a fall from grace. The player who screwed us over with one of the first big Bosman transfers. Not as good as Barnes but more high maintenance. White suits and contract disputes, not to mention having a barney with Grobbelaar. Not as easy to warm to as Fowler. Fowler who’d shown support for the dockers and thrown Evertonian taunts back at them. Perhaps more importantly, McManaman left of his own accord whereas Fowler looked to be pushed towards the exit.

If you were a child of the 90s however McManaman was something different. He – along with Robbie Fowler – was the brightest spot in a barren decade. A player very much of his time, he looked as much as though he should be playing bass for Cast as he did turning up for Liverpool. My rose-tinted view of the mid 90s is of poor defending, routine humiliation for English teams in Europe, and of brilliant wingers. I wonder if the players were around now whether I’d think of it so fondly, but at the time there was Giggs and Kanchelskis at United, Ginola at Newcastle and Kinkladze at City (hell, even Ruel Fox had a good month or two). McManaman was the most exciting of the lot.

Before Ginola was dancing his way through the Barnsley defence, waiting for every southern journo to give him awards because he played for one of the North London II, McManaman was gliding across half the pitch at Parkhead, sending defenders the wrong direction with a simple turn of the hip to equalise in the last minute. Years before Giggs was being reinvented as a central midfielder to wide-spread acclaim for being the 5th or 6th best player in the best team, Roy Evans had moved McManaman there and given him the freedom to destroy teams. Real Madrid then gave him the opportunity to play there in European Cup finals. … But enough about them.

Steve McManaman signed professional terms with Liverpool on February the 19th 1991, 3 days before Kenny Dalglish resigned as manager. His debut would come the next season under Graeme Souness, but perhaps the brightest moment early on in McManaman’s career was the 1992 FA Cup final. Wearing what was then Barnes’ number ten shirt, McManaman was named man of the match and created the opening goal for Michael Thomas with a piece of skill that show everything there was to come.

After using his strength and pace to get round the first man McManaman turned inside the 2nd and chipped the ball in between 2 other Sunderland players and into Michael Thomas’ path. McManaman, at the time just 20, had taken four opposition players out of the game with his brilliance on the ball.

Over the next few seasons McManaman would show in glimpses his ability. The destruction of a very poor Swindon team at the Country Ground stood out. One of my first memories is watching Liverpool and McManaman tearing apart Crystal Palace (at what my memory is telling was some sort of quarry  ) on the opening day of the 94/95 league season. McManaman speeding away down the left, starting inside his own half, cutting inside a couple of hapless Palace defenders before curling the ball past Nigel Martyn.

Later on in that season came what I would consider McManaman’s best game in a Liverpool shirt, against Bolton in the 1995 League Cup final. When I was doing research for this I found out that Sir Stanley Matthews said of the performance that “"He reminds me of me when I was playing."”, and that he wished there were more of McManaman’s ilk at the time. Perhaps it’s fitting that like Matthews; McManaman had a Wembley final remembered after him (although maybe not quite so widely remembered…  ).

McManaman scored twice as Liverpool won the match, picking up his 2nd and final piece of silverware with Liverpool.

The first was what today would probably be described as a ‘Messi’ goal. It was the type of brilliance McManaman was capable of. McManaman, by this time playing in the central role that Roy Evans had moved him to, picked up the ball behind Bolton’s midfield line and began to run at their back four. Fowler, and Rush in particular, ran Bolton’s defence inside, until they were so condensed you could’ve got them to fit inside a phone box – a fatal mistake. With the ball tied to his feet McManaman across the back line to the right in a mirror image of the type of goal you see Messi score with such regularity nowadays. Bolton couldn’t cope with his pace running with the ball. Having taken it around two players, McManaman then nutmegged the covering defender when it looked as though he’d ran out of space, before finishing under Branagan in the Bolton goal. The goalkeeping was extremely weak, but don’t let that take away from the quality of McManaman’s dribbling. It was the quality of running with the ball that was missing from Anfield since McManaman left right up until Suarez arrived, although at greater pace than the Uruguayan.

McManaman’s 2nd goal was arguably even better.

With the ball played into space down the left channel McManaman drifted wide and picked up the ball, carrying it nonchalantly at first he slowed down Bolton’s right back Scott Green, who by this time had cover on the inside from future red Jason McAteer. Green tried showing McManaman down the line, and he duly obliged, firstly attempting to speed away from the defender, shaking Green’s attempt at a grab off and cutting inside the fullback in to the box. A quick feint threw the Bolton centreback with embarrassing ease before McManaman curled the ball into the bottom of the far corner. This time the finish did the brilliance of the build up justice.

Scott Green was substituted immediately afterwards. In fact, if you look back at footage of the goal, you can see what looks suspiciously like him pulling up having done his hamstring, after McManaman cut inside him. It wouldn’t be a surprise, they couldn’t handle him.

The ability McManaman had whilst running with the ball was exceptional, his balance – it’s worth remembering that McManaman was 6ft and especially in his earlier years, rather lanky – was frightening. Defenders were constantly on the wrong foot defending against him. A better dribbler there wasn’t in the league. More balanced than Giggs, quicker than Ginola, better on his weaker side than either.

As time goes by the Arsenal defenders of the ‘90s have turned into Baresi on meth, but McManaman had them on ice. Martin Keown, spoke of as perhaps the best man marker in England over the last couple of decades was routine sent the wrong direction as McManaman scored twice when Liverpool beat Arsenal at the start of the ‘96/97 season. Picking up the ball in the centre, always behind the Arsenal midfield, McManaman spent the 2nd half routinely running at Martin Keown and toying with the missing link. For the 2nd goal McManaman, with Dr Zaius on a string at this point, ran straight at Keown, attracting 3 Arsenal players to the ball, McManaman backheeled to Barnes to send him through on goal. Barnes drive was saved but the ball deflected back to McManaman to score a deserved 2nd goal.

Of course McManaman was known more for his creation than his goalscoring abilities. If ever a match summed up Liverpool during the era with McManaman at his best it was the classic Newcastle game. It featured a typically McManaman moment as he set up Fowler’s 2nd goal. By the time McManaman had released the ball to Fowler, perfectly matched to Robbie’s run, he had 4 Newcastle defenders surrounding him, all too concerned he would dribble it past them without the obscene amount of cover. In the build up to Collymore’s first goal he was the one who played McAteer the ball to cross. McManaman had the perfect attacking platform, a constantly overlapping fullback on either side, and two devastating strikers ahead of him in Collymore and Fowler. It gave him the platform to show his devastating ability running with the ball. The Newcastle game exposed the other side though, and showed why McManaman never won more at Liverpool. James’ flapping and suicidal ventures out of goal, Ruddock the lummox being ‘megged in the 18 yard box. The ease with which tease could play through the midfield, and the difficulty we had with the offside trap.

Like Gerrard and Carragher a decade later, I think some fans have taken the blame for our title drought and placed it at their door as the big players in their respective teams, rather than look at the pitiful lack of quality that surrounded them.

McManaman did eventually play in a team that had similar quality to himself (and indeed better in some cases), and it does need to be mentioned. I don’t want to get into what happened. I’m too young to remember whether McManaman forced the move, or if he felt obliged after the club had agreed to sell him to Barcelona the year before. It doesn’t really interest me to be honest. But with McManaman we have to mention the time abroad. Perhaps it’s that he was such a success that it’s held against him.

Players have left Liverpool previously and since, but few if any have gone on to have a better time of it. Fernando Torres may have won a European Cup since leaving, and Michael Owen may have won a league title, but their own contributions were so laughably limited in both cases that it would be comically lacking in self-awareness if either tried to claim a part of the success. That said, having seen little Mascot Mickey in his full kit, ready to celebrate the league, self-awareness is not something you can accuse Mustache Mike of being blessed with. Neither is dignity, charisma or ambition. I digress…

McManaman went to Spain and returned four years later as England’s most successful foreign export. He returned having secured Madrid’s first win in Barcelona for a decade, chipping the ‘keeper in a European Cup semi-final. He had scored  (a wonderful volley) in a European Cup final.

He came back from Spain with two league titles and two European Cups, and a scissor kick volley that put Di Canio’s to shame. His recognition domestically was reserved to calls for him to solve England’s ‘problem left’ position.

Maybe his success is held against him. We like to think we get the best out of players and then they move on. McManaman was more successful elsewhere than at Liverpool.

A depressing thought that may be, that doesn’t take away for me from the lad I always wanted to be when I played football in school. One of the players of the 90s that arguably wouldn’t have been out of place in the years previously, and a player of whose ilk we have sorely missed since.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 10:45:43 pm by Juance In Royal St David's City »
"It's the football philosophy that counts, not the system."

A fully signed-up member of SPAS
The Stuart Pearce Apologist Society

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: My Favourite Player - #17 Steve McManaman
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2012, 11:49:30 pm »
Here's a player that arouses as much, if not more amongst certain fans, ire and anger as Souness did. Like we said, this series is about writers writing about players who made an impact on their supporting lives, and for many of us Macca was one of them.

Its another brilliant write up, very enjoyable and hopefully will bring back the good memories of a fantastic player when on form:

Steve McManaman by someone who's named has been changed out of recognition for an arl arse like me ;) : Enjoy your 17th advent write up!
Yep.

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 12:01:03 am »
bump
Yep.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 12:12:22 am »
One of my favourite players. In fact, if I was to have an all-time Liverpool XI, Macca would be in it. I don't have the hate some do towards him. He left to join the biggest team on the planet and wasn't simply to warm the bench. My memories of him will be of him galloping down the wing with his almost unorthodox at times running style, all elbows flaying here and there, which was perhaps the product of McManaman being a Northwest regional cross country champion in his youth. A player capable of beating you with a piece of magic or pace. He's the type of player we've been missing for years.

Offline sattapaartridge

• The new 'pete price' of RAWK.
  • Legacy Fan
  • @sattapaal
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 12:20:38 am »
Pace stamina dribbling goals. The man was the right man to succeed the unfortunate john Barnes who lost a lot after the achiles injury. Any side,houllier, rafa, hodge, current would be a severe threat to teams parking the bus with mcmanaman in it.

Magical player for me.
did you know that 10 x 2 and 11 x 2 have the same answer?

Offline Mr Dilkington

• would rather be too cold than too hot
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never buy the Sun
    • www.level3football.com
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2012, 01:10:55 am »
Excellent stuff.

Imagine Sterling and a prime Macca flanking Suarez...
You change all the lead, sleeping in my head, as the day grows dim, I hear you sing a golden hymn.

Offline Xabier Alonso Olano

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2012, 03:34:53 am »
I knew you would baggsy Macca Juan, been waiting for the write-up and its a good one.

He is easily my favourite Liverpool player by a mile, I love the way he played, such an intelligent and silky player. The goal against Celtic ranks highly on the list of my favourite goals, I've definitely seen 'better' goals but there is something about the way he jinxed past his man (and the rest) with such ease and such a cultured finish that makes his goal stand out so clearly from the many great goals he scored.

Never knew if the following story about McManaman was true.. Always hoped it was.

Whilst away training as part of the England squad, Glen Hoddle had the lads working on corners and set pieces and Darren Anderton had been reprimanded for failing to get the correct hand signal to indicate where he would be aiming the corner kick. Hoddle enraged, removes Anderton from taking the set pieces and sends Macca out to take em instead. Macca slowly jogs out to cross it in, Hoddle asks him what the signal is and Macca proceeds to start pulling silly faces, tugging on his nose, holding his hair up etc, cue mass laughter from the rest of the squad.

Offline RedMichelFerri

• Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone - Liverpool till I die
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2012, 05:29:18 am »
The player who made me a Liverpool supporter. Magical one to watch. What could I have given to have Mcmanaman in Rafa's 2007-2009 team. That would have sealed the league for at least a couple of seasons for us.

Very well written Juan.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.”

- Rafa Benitez : RIP Ray.

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Star. Top Kharbooja. Heat-Sikhing Missile Launcher. Purveyor of burning bushes, interpreter of dreams, provider of Egyptian travel before the age of 30, and saviour of RAWK. Also he has a beard.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2012, 08:30:33 am »
Gangly running, scruffy haired, skinny yet mesmerising and a talent sorely missed

Another brilliant write up for another brilliant player.  :thumbup
Just clicked on the main board and my virus scanner came back with this

"When we visited this site, we found it exhibited one or more risky behaviors."

:lmao

Strip his knighthood https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/47770

Offline stewy17

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2012, 08:44:02 am »
McManaman is probably my favourite Liverpool player. Shaggy hair, jinxing runs, magnificent goals.

My hero as a lad.

Offline MaschHead

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2012, 08:51:43 am »
Loved him when I was younger, he was my favourite player after Barnes.

Offline groove

• eeeeee baby!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2012, 09:43:06 am »
Yeah, my first boyhood hero. Anyone remember the goal against Villa where he ran straight at Southgate, twisted one way, then the other causing poor Gareth to nearly fall flat on his arse, before pushing the ball beyond him and finishing in the corner? The spin and volley over Seaman at Highbury?

I think he's exactly what our attack is missing right now. Just slot a peak Macca in behind Luis and we'd triple our penetration, composure and intelligence in the final third instantly.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2012, 10:07:29 am »
Yeah, my first boyhood hero. Anyone remember the goal against Villa where he ran straight at Southgate, twisted one way, then the other causing poor Gareth to nearly fall flat on his arse, before pushing the ball beyond him and finishing in the corner? The spin and volley over Seaman at Highbury?

I was at that Villa game. I think it was the week after his Celtic goal. He and Fowler really carried that team for a while, especially when the likes of Barnes were out with long term injuries.

One of my favourite 'forgotten' performances of his was away at Newcastle in the 97/98 season. We went a goal down before coming back to win 2-1 with Macca scoring both. He was hardly famous for his bullet of a shot but the first goal was a beauty, a sweeping move found him with a cross fiwld ball about 30 yards out, he chested down and half volleyed in. His second was a very tidy finish too from an Owen cut back.

So many great memories of him, his goals in the cup run of 1992 were vital, he saved us a couple of times from embarassing home defeats to Bristol Rovers and Ipswich. Then obviously the League Cup final of 95 that Juan has talked about. The 90's could have been even bleaker for us were it not for him.

Offline davidg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2012, 10:17:04 am »
He was a fabulous player who would have graced any Liverpool team in any era.

' When you over simplify, you become unjust ' - Ernest Hemingway

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2012, 10:18:07 am »
Enjoyable OP.

I absolutely loved McManaman - when him and Fowler were on-form we were a joy to watch. When he played the 'free-role' under Evans he was almost unplayable at times. His game intelligence in that role was superb, always knowing the best position to be in to receive the ball and hurt the opposition.

His finishing was sadly a bit inconstant and a great run would often end with a scuffed shot wide, but when he did get them on-target he scored some magnificent goals. Was absolutely gutted when he we first agreed to sell him to Barcelona, but even more when he left for nothing a year later. But I never resented him for it as much as I did others who had done the same.   
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline rhylred

• Here, There and Everywhere Bar Hull City.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2012, 11:42:47 am »
Was lucky enough to be at Parkhead when he scored THAT goal,christ just thinking about it now brings a smile to my face :)

Offline jaffod

• Living a double life as Billy Bunter after midnight. Has until July 3rd to figure out what from his womans clothing range to wear.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Common beermat and towel thief.
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2012, 12:02:38 pm »
He was quick alright, in the early part of his career if he was subbed he would often be in the Royal Oak on Spellow Lane before me.
 He could certainly play and carried us on a good number of occasions but in all honesty I'd never really put him in the top bracket of our ex-players.

Offline The Fletcher Memorial

• Feels mildly violat.................. ed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reality is hard to find
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2012, 12:08:42 pm »
He should have been great, but he wasn’t. Disgraceful waste of talent.

He was without doubt one of the most frustrating players to watch, for me. He had all the talent but just never fully utilised it did he? When he did turn it on, he was great. Skinny legs, baggy shirt and stupid locks flowing as he’d skip down the wing, passing defenders as if they were statues. He could hit a ball too, scored some crackers.

If only he did it more often. If only he didn’t stand around so much, running his hand through his stupid hair and then pointing. Oh the fucking pointing; you watch any game he played in and his stats would read something like:

Passes: 20

Pass completion: 64%

Shots: 4

On target: 1

Combed hair with hand: 78

Pointing to where another teammate should pass the ball rather than show for it: 352

He basically seemed to think that having the potential to be great was enough. Most of the time, watching him was like watching a coach of a kids team in training, occasionally getting involved but mostly pointing a lot. Did he think he was better than his team mates, could he see the passes they should make? I don’t know, but it certainly came across like that to me and I fucking hated him for it. I remember him leaving and I was actually made up.

And going to Madrid, winning two European Cups etc. So what, he was in a great side, his style suited them and they could carry him and his pointing for most of the 90 minutes. Doesn’t hide for me the fact that he was, by and large, a waste of fucking space!
The sky does not know of east or of west;
it is in the minds of men where such distinctions are made, and then they believe them to be true.

Offline Fuzion6

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2012, 12:44:54 pm »
Love that Celtic goal...best thing about it was he started the run off with a one-two with himself haha. What a great player, loved him. Inconsistent and his finishing was so hit and miss...but dribbling ability was amazing. Superb stamina too...Macca would run all day. Man that team was close to winning the league...was great team to watch.

What happened with the Barca thing again? I remembered he was going and then it got pulled but can't remember the background at all. Can someone also explain to me how he ended up a holding midfielder for Madrid. I know Redondo was class and easy to play with, but I could never work out how Mcamamamaman went from being a free spirited dribbler to a CM. I guess Dembele did a similar move more recently...

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2012, 12:49:33 pm »
Barca used him as a bit of a smokescreen to get Rivaldo didn't they? But we panicked a bit (I think) and gave him permission to speak to Barca, pretty sure he got as far as flying out to Spain.

Basically set the wheels in motion for him to leave a couple of years later (he may have wanted to go anyway, who knows).

I haven't really got an opinion of it either way but that's how I remember it (albeit a bit sketchily!).

Offline CB

• Kopite
  • Chi non salta della Lazio e'
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2012, 01:49:17 pm »
Every time I hear the name I let out a little sigh.
And me
Milan nel incubo!

E grazie a Dio che non sono Laziale!

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2012, 01:57:06 pm »
Very enjoyable OP, thanks.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2012, 05:59:22 pm »
Remember him against vladikavkaz in the very early days.

Scored from an impossible angle.

Very exciting player to watch...
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Red Genius

• Part of the Neville clan. Voted "Most misnamed RAWKite" 2009-10. Reformed Coprophagiac
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2012, 06:50:17 pm »
Loved watching him, we placed so much weight on his shoulders to deliver n all, every time he picked up the ball anywhere from the halfway line you'd wanna see him take players on.... remember one game can't recall what season where he tore Arsenal a new one, he was fantastic that day.
"I have been privileged and lucky to wear the legendary red shirt. No one can take it away from me. YNWA, I don't have to walk alone because Liverpool FC will always be in my heart."

The Legend - Sami Hyypia

Offline koppper

• Berrg
  • Kopite
  • My hovercraft is full of eels
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2012, 06:53:38 pm »
Remember him rampaging 20 yeards down the left wing and turning defence instantly into attack.
My postillion has been struck by lightning

I am the berrgman

Offline SpartanTree. No deccies or lights.

• Legacy Fan
  • This is ANFIELD !!!
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2012, 07:34:55 pm »
Remember him rampaging 20 yards down the left wing and turning defence instantly into attack.

His pace, dribbling & trickery certainly made us much more of a threat both when launching a counter attack and when dealing with teams who were defending deep. 
Boy could we do with him right now !

Frustrating at times as his finishing was hit and miss - should definately have scored a load more goals.
Was part of the whole spice boys thing and i seem to recall that he was a bit of a joker within the squad.

I agree that he was an exciting player & a definite bright spot during that era but for me he never really realised his full potential.

Can't believe he left for fuck all...

'Siempre es posible' - my eyes have seen the glory...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9OHC7lIfvk4

Physical death I do not fear, death of conscience is a sure death.

Offline red_dub

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2012, 07:54:33 pm »
Loved him when I was a kid, class player. I especially remember that goal v arsenal when he had the armband and the yellow jersey! Top coner half volloy :)
“Aim for the sky and you'll reach the ceiling. Aim for the ceiling and you'll stay on the floor.”

Bill Shankly

Offline Robotforaday

• Fifty shades off white
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2012, 01:36:52 am »
Here's what I wrote about him for Sarge's Great Player Debate a couple of years ago (though the OP here is fantastic and puts my ramblings back then to shame):

The trouble with Steve McManaman is that so many people were left angry by his Bosman-style departure for Real Madrid. And let's not even mention his time on Setanta. So this turns into a hard-sell. But it really shouldn't be. McManaman was a truly great player for us. Never forget that the lad could really, really play. And I strongly believe that if we had a Steve McManaman right now, he would be the perfect addition on our way to number 19. I don't think we've ever really filled his place.

Brought into the squad by Dalglish, named as the most promising player in Liverpool's ranks by Ian Rush, Steve was singled out by legends and, it seemed, destined to be a legend. He became a regular first team fixture at a relatively young age, but was in no way out of his depth. Our FA Cup triumph in 1992 owes a great deal to him. His 3 goals in the early rounds were crucial in getting us through the final, where he set up Michael Thomas' goal in a man of the match winning performance. That match shows very well what Mcmanaman brought to the team - a beautiful performance on the wing and a great assist to break the deadlock.

Over the years to come he would establish himself as a crucial part of the team. He had more assists than anybody else in the Premier League for much of the 90s, winning him a place in the PFA team of the year for four consecutive years. As Ian Rush and later Robbie Fowler and Stan Collymore ratcheted up goal after goal, he was the crucial supply line. The 1995 League Cup final was another vintage performance, and a chance to show everybody exactly what he was capable of. Two brilliant goals and well deserved and another well deserved man of the match award. The 90s were a barren decade in terms of trophies, but without Mcmanaman's brilliance in 92 and 95, they could have been a whole lot more barren.

McManaman could take players on and beat them time and time again. When he received the ball and began to accelerate, there was always a huge sense of excitement in the pit of my stomach - expectations were sky high. You just knew that something amazing was about to happen. Fantastic solo runs. His ability to get the ball from near the half way line, or even in his own half, and beat several players before drifting into the box was legendary. He was also a brilliant pass and move footballer. He could slot the ball to another player and then move lightning quick into the box to receive the ball again and send it home. He knew exactly where to place the ball and exactly where to receive it.

McManaman made chances were there were no chances, and created goals where nobody else could. Little wonder that Sir Stanley Matthews said "I wish there were more dribblers like him". And someone of Stanley Matthews' calibre certainly knew what he was talking about. In Steve McManaman I think it's possible to say that we had the one of the best dribblers - and one of the most talented footballers - in a generation.

Offline BreakfastPercy

• Legacy Fan
  • Follow me: @BreakfastPercy
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2012, 03:54:14 am »
As time goes by the Arsenal defenders of the ‘90s have turned into Baresi on meth, but McManaman had them on ice.
I have a boner for that line. Especially since I've just caught up with the latest season of Breaking Bad and keep asking everyone I know if they'll start a Meth lab with me!

Remember when players went on a 'mazy'? The perfect word for Macca if ever there was one, seems to have gone out of use though. I also always believed that with him in the team we had a good chance of getting that late winner or smashing four past a team regardless of our team's weaknesses at the time. There were some mental games.

Top write-up Juan, cheers for that.

Offline Neil D

• The new Kop pin-up model. Met Momo in the ASDA.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2012, 11:33:38 am »

He was without doubt one of the most frustrating players to watch, for me. He had all the talent but just never fully utilised it did he? When he did turn it on, he was great. Skinny legs, baggy shirt and stupid locks flowing as he’d skip down the wing, passing defenders as if they were statues. He could hit a ball too, scored some crackers.

If only he did it more often. If only he didn’t stand around so much, running his hand through his stupid hair and then pointing. Oh the fucking pointing; you watch any game he played in and his stats would read something like:

Passes: 20

Pass completion: 64%

Shots: 4

On target: 1

Combed hair with hand: 78

Pointing to where another teammate should pass the ball rather than show for it: 352

He basically seemed to think that having the potential to be great was enough. Most of the time, watching him was like watching a coach of a kids team in training, occasionally getting involved but mostly pointing a lot. Did he think he was better than his team mates, could he see the passes they should make? I don’t know, but it certainly came across like that to me and I fucking hated him for it. I remember him leaving and I was actually made up.

And going to Madrid, winning two European Cups etc. So what, he was in a great side, his style suited them and they could carry him and his pointing for most of the 90 minutes. Doesn’t hide for me the fact that he was, by and large, a waste of fucking space!

Not disagreed with a post as much as this in a long time. The last line isn't a fact - it's the exact opposite. One his medals and MOTM performance in a European Cup final easily dispels.

Macca was a brilliant player for us, always involved in everything, and a brilliant player for Madrid. One of our few genuine world class players in the 90s. Great opening post.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 11:35:39 am by Neil D »

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2012, 04:01:47 pm »
memories for me are obviously his performance in the 1992 fa cup final and his two sublime goals in the 1995 league cup final. i also remember him scoring an absolute screamer of a volley away at highbury one season straight from a throw in.

great player who strangely enough started as a winger but ended up thriving playing more centrally.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2012, 11:45:38 pm »

This is an angling trip right?

Loved Macca, some incredible nights on the Kop watching him and Fowler terrorise the best defences in the league.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2012, 11:50:22 pm »
Macca in his pomp.

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2012, 12:21:26 am »
Best thing about him was that he never ever stopped showing for the ball. Top player Macca.

Really suited the role Evans gave him which allowed him to use his amazing stamina to play with either wing back and double up time and again.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2012, 11:46:51 pm »
Best thing about him was that he never ever stopped showing for the ball. Top player Macca.

Really suited the role Evans gave him which allowed him to use his amazing stamina to play with either wing back and double up time and again.
Yep, only really achievable by playing in that team with 3 at the back leaving him as a spare man in midfield to adopt one of the the biggest free-roles you'll see in football. And your're right, he made himself available all over the pitch, he took responsibility to keep play going. It did only last a couple of seasons though didn't it? But it was in a team that should have done far, far better and took the PL.

He had an impact on England as well, Jamie Redknapp was a more regular starter if I recall rightly, but his game improved by 20% once SM trotted on from the bench.

to be honest, I didn't actually like anything else about the man, it wasn't the manner of his leaving, I just don't like him - I haven't even a rationale explanation. When he's punditing I have no fondness towards him.

On the subject of punditing, remember his holding back the giggles when he was in a studio (at Anfield) with Fowler when Robbie wasn't very experienced working the telly. In describing a player Robbie said something like "there's not many better when he's on blob" and SM nearly pissed himself.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2012, 01:11:52 am »
Great read, one of my first heroes.

Offline Benimar Col

• benimarisblonde.col.uk
  • Legacy Fan
  • Make us Dream
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2012, 02:18:47 pm »
Barca used him as a bit of a smokescreen to get Rivaldo didn't they? But we panicked a bit (I think) and gave him permission to speak to Barca, pretty sure he got as far as flying out to Spain.

Basically set the wheels in motion for him to leave a couple of years later (he may have wanted to go anyway, who knows).

I haven't really got an opinion of it either way but that's how I remember it (albeit a bit sketchily!).

Held Liverpool FC to ransom to leave on a free if my memory serves me right, I have no time for players that come through the schoolboy ranks then fcuk n fart over a contract until they play themselves into a Bosman transfer and on a salary at least as much Raul, Figo, Zidane if not more,

Good goal against Celtic though

Offline Neil D

• The new Kop pin-up model. Met Momo in the ASDA.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2012, 08:07:45 pm »
We tried to sell him to Barcelona if I recall. Think two sides to that story.

Online Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2012, 01:41:13 am »
A c*nt, he should not be in such a list.
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline tea_tree

• oily and antiseptic.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on with hope in your heart
« Reply #39 on: December 26, 2012, 04:05:00 am »
Great write up on a truly great player. Liverpool legend whose dribbling ability & decision making in the final third were exceptional. I wish we had him here now
"At Liverpool I have never pulled back, I also went to war together with my fans"

Rafa Benitez