Author Topic: Virgin Media  (Read 126709 times)

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Virgin Media
« Reply #320 on: January 12, 2016, 10:41:18 pm »
Does anyone have any experience with cancelling all pay channels at the end of the season?  What I mean is, keeping the broadband, phone line, virgin box and access to Freeview channels (inc. HD ones) but cancelling Sky, BT and all the other crap they throw in.  What kind of price does that bring it down to and are there any issues with adding all the HD sports channels again when the season starts again?

My aim here is to save a few quid during the summer months and then (hopefully) get a better deal when the football starts again.

Done this a few times over the years , but the last two years with virgin they've just given them to me free for three months , they just say your on a new contract which because of the broadband speed I'm happy with , can still up and down grade channels as you wish throughout the year

Offline pw1008

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #321 on: January 13, 2016, 10:58:28 am »
When i got VM super hub just over 2 years ago I renamed the network so it was easy to recognise rather than look up VM0009288181 or whatever it was.

Just got a new laptop and seems to be losing connection spoke to IT in work and they said to try and pick up the 2.4ghz connection and not 5ghz but I only see one network

Any ideas on how to fix?

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #322 on: January 13, 2016, 11:09:03 am »
go to 192.168.0.1 and have a look at the settings, might not have the 2.4ghz turned on. Ours broadcasts them separately and always has (we have VM123456-5G and VM123456-2G etc) but my Dad has recently got virgin and his was setup to use the same SSID for both so it wasn't clear which one you were connected to and he couldn't get the PS4 on to the network.

Offline pw1008

• Kopite
« Reply #323 on: January 13, 2016, 11:59:12 am »
Thanks Claire. might well have switched it off when I originally set up will have a look when I get back home.

Online PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #324 on: January 13, 2016, 12:14:22 pm »
Does anyone have any experience with cancelling all pay channels at the end of the season?  What I mean is, keeping the broadband, phone line, virgin box and access to Freeview channels (inc. HD ones) but cancelling Sky, BT and all the other crap they throw in.  What kind of price does that bring it down to and are there any issues with adding all the HD sports channels again when the season starts again?

My aim here is to save a few quid during the summer months and then (hopefully) get a better deal when the football starts again.

Have a peek at NOW TV prices too, depending on how often you watch the footy, there could be a decent saving there if you have a spare HDMI socket.

OH and I must remember to rename the guest wifi to DavidMoyesIsAFootballGenius
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #325 on: January 13, 2016, 04:19:41 pm »
Speaking of WiFi network names, anyone good a good one?

Mine is 'Martin Router-King'.

I had 'Pretty-Fly-For-A-WiFi' in my old flat but I did nick that from the internet to be fair.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #326 on: January 13, 2016, 04:21:34 pm »
"FBI surveillance van Alpha"

Offline DK

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #327 on: January 15, 2016, 07:48:57 am »
Thanks for the info guys.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #328 on: January 18, 2016, 06:23:25 pm »
Just phoned up to cancel, got 40 quid off me bill and a new router and upgrade to 200mbps.

Better than nowt
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 08:37:40 pm by Upinsmoke »

Offline pw1008

• Kopite
« Reply #329 on: January 20, 2016, 08:59:20 am »
We had an issue with the 5ghz channel on our router. What had happened was an over-the-air firmware update to the router had reset the 'channel settings' which you can find in wireless network settings - to the wrong combination and ballsed up the 5ghz channel. Might be worth ringing Virgin to see if this has happened with yours. Sounds exactly like what happened with ours. They'll change it for you if you call up.

Thanks I think I'll give them a call. Although I checked and i had actually set it to 2.4ghz but its having problems with Dell windows 7 laptops. ipads, iphone and samsung phones are all ok.

I've got a powerline adaptor and that works fine. Checked the laptops and they can operate on both 2.4 and 5ghz so tempted to give the 5ghz a go but the IT fella in work says thats more flakey than 2.4ghz

Offline paddysour

• likes balls
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #330 on: January 20, 2016, 10:09:36 am »
Thanks I think I'll give them a call. Although I checked and i had actually set it to 2.4ghz but its having problems with Dell windows 7 laptops. ipads, iphone and samsung phones are all ok.

I've got a powerline adaptor and that works fine. Checked the laptops and they can operate on both 2.4 and 5ghz so tempted to give the 5ghz a go but the IT fella in work says thats more flakey than 2.4ghz

Nothing in my house can connect to the 2G connection. Everything runs fine on 5G though

Offline DK

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #331 on: January 20, 2016, 10:50:54 am »
Speaking of WiFi network names, anyone good a good one?

Mine is 'Martin Router-King'.

I had 'Pretty-Fly-For-A-WiFi' in my old flat but I did nick that from the internet to be fair.

When people have changed their router names and passwords, have you had to log all your devices back in again?

Offline .adam

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #332 on: January 20, 2016, 04:07:45 pm »
When people have changed their router names and passwords, have you had to log all your devices back in again?
Yes. Just the one time though, obviously. I tend to rename my router and change the password as soon as I get it.

I find it quite funny when I ask someone for their WiFi password and they have to go and turn the router upside down to get it. I just change it to something I can hand out off the top of my head. 

Offline owens_2k

• Bagged the role of third spud in the annual RAWK panto
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #333 on: December 21, 2016, 12:50:02 pm »
Mate who works for virgin said they are doing 200mb Broadband, XL TV with BT Sport and a Landline for £30/pm for new customers. They need to meet quotas for 2016.

Offline pazcom

• Kopite
« Reply #334 on: December 22, 2016, 08:46:44 am »
Cant see any value in paying £115 one off fee and an extra £14.25 a month for their new V6 box - as far as I can see its for 3 additional tuners only...no 4K content either (apart from Netflix  / You tube).

Keira 29/04/1999
 --- Violet 09/09/2020
 --- Myles 13/10/2021
Sophie 26/04/2006

My little Reds

Offline paddysour

• likes balls
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #335 on: April 26, 2017, 10:02:59 pm »
Anyone know if it's possible to get an install date moved up so it's quicker? Moving into a new place and ordered today, but the waiting time is 4 weeks. I work from home a couple of days a week so that's a really long time to wait!

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #336 on: April 26, 2017, 10:35:25 pm »
I was in the same boat mate...tried to get it brought forward but they were adamant they couldn't do it ...had to make do with a mifi box for a month....did the job ok
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline pw1008

• Kopite
« Reply #337 on: April 27, 2017, 09:51:54 pm »
Anyone have issues with Windows laptops and VM Broadband wifi - ours is terrible with windows 7 and 10 - getting worse. had router replaced about a year ago and was ok for a bit but issues seem bad again now. Apple and Android phones & tablets seem fine and even Kodi streaming.

Works fine using the home plugs wired connection. VM no use over the phone - any ideas? tried googling but cant find anything

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #338 on: May 2, 2017, 11:31:03 am »
My work one, dell, only seems happy on the 5G network but even then it's always got the yellow triangle on it despite being in the same room as the router.

both macs and iPad/iPhones all fine everywhere else.

Offline pw1008

• Kopite
« Reply #339 on: May 3, 2017, 09:04:05 pm »
These are Dells as well so could be in something like them rather than Windows cos it was the same with Windows 7 always fine with XP

Just a frustration when your in the middle of stuff

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #340 on: May 4, 2017, 12:51:50 am »
I run a ThinkPad on W10 wirelessly and I've never had any problems.

At a guess... Maybe Dell drivers not liking the band you're on?

Offline DanFromMars

• Stays up all night playing cards. Henri Winterman cigars
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Indie Retro News
« Reply #341 on: May 25, 2017, 05:28:22 pm »
How much are people paying for their bb from these?  I was paying £28 a month now it's suddenly jumped to £45 on my latest bill!   Was thinking of switching to another provider if they don't reduce the monthly cost.
Indie Retro Gaming News Site
http://www.indieretronews.com/

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #342 on: May 25, 2017, 09:39:43 pm »
How much are people paying for their bb from these?  I was paying £28 a month now it's suddenly jumped to £45 on my latest bill!   Was thinking of switching to another provider if they don't reduce the monthly cost.

£31 Inc phone line

Offline tedmus

• Bird Assassin
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #343 on: May 26, 2017, 08:43:41 am »
I'm on a 12 month contract for Vivid 200 BB only, got a deal for £40.25 pm and have a sim for £15 pm. Up for renewal in September so will see what happens then.

edit: Just checked the website, this is now available for £37.25 pm, bastards.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 08:48:11 am by tedmus »

Offline marcus-g

• the unfriendly ghost
  • Kopite
« Reply #344 on: May 26, 2017, 12:16:22 pm »

£27 a month, no phone line just 100mb broadband.
Also paying £13 a month for a sim, unlimited minutes, unlimited texts and 5GB data.
I ring them every year around the time my contract us up and ask to cancel, not once have i ever had to actually cancel.
Every time i've always been offered a decent discount.

Offline .adam

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #345 on: May 26, 2017, 01:03:12 pm »
Broadband only. £33.25 a month all in.

Offline DanFromMars

• Stays up all night playing cards. Henri Winterman cigars
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Indie Retro News
« Reply #346 on: June 2, 2017, 01:52:34 pm »
Gave em a rang and haggled them down to 32 quid a month, but they wanted £66 quid to disconnect my tv and phone line which I don't use. I laughed at them and they promptly dismissed the fee.
Indie Retro Gaming News Site
http://www.indieretronews.com/

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #347 on: June 2, 2017, 05:14:41 pm »
Going to be expanding their cabled network in the North West very shortly.

Offline scouser4eva

• but is Eva4Scouser? Wants an old willy
  • Legacy Fan
  • " god wanted west ham to win but gerrard said no "
« Reply #348 on: June 21, 2017, 08:14:14 pm »
Just got an email from them upgraded my broadband from up to 50mbps to 100mbps for free - nice

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #349 on: September 12, 2017, 12:09:10 pm »
Going up another four quid from November. No justification for it. Suppose Branson has some property to rebuild like.

Binning it

Online AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #350 on: September 16, 2017, 11:15:10 am »
Anyone elses Virgin BB been down all morning? Checked the website and no issues in my area . . .

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #351 on: September 16, 2017, 12:58:22 pm »
Anyone elses Virgin BB been down all morning? Checked the website and no issues in my area . . .

Fine for me man

Their site can be shite though. Tbf it's hardly ever down for me but sometimes if you ring through on 151 they'll find another problem

Unplug your router for a few mins and wait, hopefully it sorts itself!

Online AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #352 on: September 16, 2017, 02:12:43 pm »
Fine for me man

Their site can be shite though. Tbf it's hardly ever down for me but sometimes if you ring through on 151 they'll find another problem

Unplug your router for a few mins and wait, hopefully it sorts itself!
Yeah it sorted itself out mate, looks like it was a problem in the area as my girlfriends parents was having the same trouble!

Cheers for replying!

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #353 on: October 2, 2017, 09:27:34 am »
Anyone got the new virgin box and is it any good?

We used to have the TiVO one and it was proper slow.

Offline pazcom

• Kopite
« Reply #354 on: October 2, 2017, 12:30:19 pm »
Anyone got the new virgin box and is it any good?

We used to have the TiVO one and it was proper slow.
Yep. V6 box is much quicker. iplayer loads in seconds rather than minutes
Keira 29/04/1999
 --- Violet 09/09/2020
 --- Myles 13/10/2021
Sophie 26/04/2006

My little Reds

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #355 on: October 2, 2017, 12:41:26 pm »
cool, might be going back to them and it's two boxes on the contract so didn't want 2 infuriating boxes in the house! Though last time we had TiVO downstairs and the V+ upstairs, both utterly tedious to use.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #356 on: October 5, 2017, 11:34:18 am »
VIP bundle, all tv and sports, 2 boxes, phone, 300mb bb - £99/mo for 9 months then £125. Offer for new customers is £90 for 12 months, I always find it weird that they do that, why don't any of them reward loyalty! We only kept the bb with them as well.

Anyone getting it for less? ;D

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #357 on: October 5, 2017, 11:35:32 am »
You able to play Sky off against them and try to get the new customer deal?

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #358 on: October 5, 2017, 11:56:29 am »
Talking to them now, so far... it's looking like we're going back to Virgin.

Quoted me £58.30 for what we have now, which is better than the £90 it was gonna be, but just trying a little bit of 'virgin are offering this...' see where it gets me.

Offline filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #359 on: October 5, 2017, 11:59:12 am »
You able to play Sky off against them and try to get the new customer deal?

Probably the best bet, Sky are usually willing to offer substantial discounts as well which only helps in negotiating