Author Topic: Liverpool Night Clubs - Your first, Worst and Favourite!  (Read 96891 times)

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Liverpool
Liverpool Night Clubs - Your first, Worst and Favourite!
« on: December 5, 2009, 06:08:28 pm »
To take my mind off the horror that was this afternoons game, I got thinking back to the "the good old days" when things were cheaper, better and people were more friendly...sometimes!

So, my question is this; What was the first night club you frequented, the worst dive you have ever had the misfortune to find yourself in, and the best place in Liverpool (closed or still open).

My offering - the first club I went to with my mates was called Pickwicks which was also known as "Pick-a-dicks"  ;D It was on Fraser Street (I think) by the now coach station and It was a great place full of birds and quite easy to pull - even for a 16 year old like me!

The worst by far was the Buzz in Skelhorne Street - a real dump of a place and always full of kick off merchants, only went twice and that was twice too many!

The best - and many of you may disagree.... The Cabin, Wood Street. Great place, never ever any trouble, completely random music and full of nurses! I admit though, it has gone a bit quieter lately...but still, a real great place!

Other good clubs that we used to go to - The Riverside, Southport, The Montrose (for entertainment value) and who can forget Ferrarri's!!!

"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarįs Solo.
Re: Liverpool Night Clubs - Your first, Worst and Favourite!
« Reply #1 on: December 5, 2009, 10:31:08 pm »
Used to love Liquidation when it was at the old Hardy's in Hardman Street, in the days when it was so popular there'd be not only a massive queue to get in but also a queue to get to the upstairs bit where the indie music was played, because numbers were so limited on that floor! Would be there most Saturday nights. Also used to go to Le Bateau and The Krazyhouse quite a lot. This is mainly around mid to late 90s time.
The Razz was probably the biggest dive I went to.

There used to be a club in the road just off near the top of Bold Street, just by where the railway goes past, can't remember what it was called or even if it's still there?
« Last Edit: December 5, 2009, 10:33:47 pm by redgriffin73 »
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline jaffod

• Living a double life as Billy Bunter after midnight. Has until July 3rd to figure out what from his womans clothing range to wear.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Common beermat and towel thief.
« Reply #2 on: December 5, 2009, 11:06:38 pm »
First was Rotters when I was about 15, just remember being rooted to the spot most of the night.

Worst? Too many to mention, but I never liked the Grafton with all the sweat or whatever it was dripping onto the downstairs bar area from upstairs. Honerable mention to the El Toro on Rice Lane (now long gone).

Best , and agreeing with the OP, was the Cabin. Met my other half there. Never knew whether the fucker on the door would let you in or not, and always got a lollipop on the way out!

Offline jaffod

• Living a double life as Billy Bunter after midnight. Has until July 3rd to figure out what from his womans clothing range to wear.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Common beermat and towel thief.
« Reply #3 on: December 5, 2009, 11:14:11 pm »
Just remembered another boss one from the early eighties, but can't remember it's name. Seem to remember it was up by Berry St somewhere and was for New Romantics.
 I'm think it was called the Pink Parrot! It was great and played stuff like A Flock of Seagulls, Japan and the Human League. Full of blokes in frilly shirts and mascara!

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #4 on: December 5, 2009, 11:18:31 pm »
The Razz was probably the biggest dive I went to.

There used to be a club in the road just off near the top of Bold Street, just by where the railway goes past, can't remember what it was called or even if it's still there?

Razz was a dump and half - still is by all accounts - but that's part of the appeal ;)

The one in Bold Street - do you mean the Mardi Gras? Very close to what is now the Oxfam shop? Enter at ground level close to the footbridge over the railway, then upstairs to a bar area and upstairs again to the dancefloor? Still got my membership cards from 87, 88 and 89 :)

First for me: The State in 1984  "teen disco" in the summer one Tuesday night - got knocked back cos I looked "too old" according to the bouncers so I went back the Thursday and was told I looked "too young". I was a cocky fucker then so asked the same bouncer which it was to be. Ended up going twice a week for 5 years ;)

Best for me: Macs in 88/89 with their acid nights.

Worst for me: when PlanetX moved from their excellent original location in Temple Street (?) to the "new and shiny" place on Hanover Street, I think it was. Went once to the new one - about as far removed from the original as you could get.
« Last Edit: December 5, 2009, 11:20:56 pm by 24/7 »

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarįs Solo.
« Reply #5 on: December 5, 2009, 11:24:21 pm »
The one in Bold Street - do you mean the Mardi Gras? Very close to what is now the Oxfam shop? Enter at ground level close to the footbridge over the railway, then upstairs to a bar area and upstairs again to the dancefloor? Still got my membership cards from 87, 88 and 89 :)

That's the one, thanks! Spent some good nights in there.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: December 5, 2009, 11:26:03 pm »
That's the one, thanks! Spent some good nights in there.
Me too :) Was good in there but the dress 'code' was always a bit too highbrow. One night I took the piss and turned up in a tux that I'd bought from 69a ;)

Offline Bootle

• Legacy Fan
  • Prove that we live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #7 on: December 6, 2009, 12:18:59 am »
S'pose it was Secrets in Litherland. Twas the first, the worst and everything- with apologies to Barry White.

Didn't go to Fallows but Kiss was OK, never a Paradox man myself.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #8 on: December 6, 2009, 01:07:44 pm »
First - Bunters (051).
Best - The State  8)
best romantically - The Venue
Most frequented - The aforementioned Cabin. Brian on the Door - what a twat :D
Hardest Bouncer - Panama from the State
Best fight - Outside Hoffenbraus circa 1982 - marvelous - town was like the wildwest then.
Most obscure, but usually a good night, Chauffeur's on Hope Street.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: December 6, 2009, 01:33:11 pm »
Word......just a carefully-selected and tactful word ;)

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Liverpool
« Reply #10 on: December 6, 2009, 01:43:29 pm »
First - Bunters (051).
Best - The State  8)
Best fight - Outside Hoffenbraus circa 1982 - marvelous - town was like the wildwest then.

The same fella is still on the door in the Cabin, when I first started going he used to open the door and look you and up and down for ages before letting you in.....and you still get drumsticks on the way out!
"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Offline L7 Red

• Kopite
  • Kensington is Red
« Reply #11 on: December 6, 2009, 03:25:48 pm »
First was the Cavern I think, best was the State in the early to mid 90's.

Also liked the Academy (Now Cream), the Hard Dock, 051 and one or two around the Bold Street area that I can't remember the name of, think one was called the Circle?

Never liked the Buzz, best fight was some lad outside the Hippodrome fighting about 4 or 5 lads and winning! Roundhouse kicks were boss, big crowd watching as well.
"Oh that's boys own stuff but it's been that sort of night and it's been wonderful too see"

Offline L7 Red

• Kopite
  • Kensington is Red
« Reply #12 on: December 6, 2009, 03:27:21 pm »
Forgot the Cokey, the Wookey and the Quad as well!
"Oh that's boys own stuff but it's been that sort of night and it's been wonderful too see"

Offline El Rey, por favor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: December 6, 2009, 05:03:28 pm »
First - Krazyhouse
Best - Heebies or The Raz
best romantically - Peacock
Most frequented - The Raz or Heebies
Hardest Bouncer - That fella from The Raz, Aba 6ft 10 and about 25stone looks fucking hard as nails.
PLEASE DONATE TO MY LONDON MARATHON RUN IN AID OF CROHN'S AND COLITIS UK: http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=312885

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: December 6, 2009, 05:33:53 pm »
Hardest Bouncer - That fella from The Raz, Aba 6ft 10 and about 25stone looks fucking hard as nails.
Try and get his name next time - let us know :wave

Offline Grushko

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: December 6, 2009, 08:16:04 pm »

First - Fallows 2. Thursday night a pound for a bottle of Stella. Remember The Bassheads on stage and loads of bottles flying toward them..

Best - The 051. Mid to late 90's. I can't remember most of it so it must have been good. Dave Graham and Lee Butler were on most weeks if i remember correctly.

Worst - The Buzz. Just a complete waste of time and money. Enough said.......
You are Always in our Hearts
You are Always in our Thoughts
We Will Never forget You
You Will Never Walk Alone

Gone, but never, ever forgotten.

Online Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #16 on: December 6, 2009, 08:24:54 pm »
Ha ha - used to love the Cabin - what a dive but loved it.

Used to frequent Uglys quite a lot as well
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline Perkins

• Legacy Fan
  • Prepare to be Skrtelised
« Reply #17 on: December 7, 2009, 12:15:39 am »
First - Fallows 2. Thursday night a pound for a bottle of Stella. Remember The Bassheads on stage and loads of bottles flying toward them..

Best - The 051. Mid to late 90's. I can't remember most of it so it must have been good. Dave Graham and Lee Butler were on most weeks if i remember correctly.

Worst - The Buzz. Just a complete waste of time and money. Enough said.......

Lee Butler used to have about 6 birthdays a year 'MAIN EVENT, THE MAIN EVENT, LEE BUTLER'S BIRTHDAY'
To avoid murdering each other, you'll have to keep yourselves anaesthetised with DVD boxsets and the occasional holiday. Life partner? Joy thief, more like

Offline tinman1

• A friend of Dorothy
  • Kopite
« Reply #18 on: December 7, 2009, 02:59:59 am »
First was 'Flintlocks' on Wood Street

Enjoyed.....The Buzz, 051, Scotts, Fridays, The State
“Well to be honest with you, I’ve not got a lot to say about David Haye apart from he’s not a proper fighter, is he? He’s basically a bit of a gay fighter as I’ve said. Nothing against gays, but if there was ever a gay fighter David Haye would be one. He showed nothing! He had all the talk beforehand and he went in there and acted like a bitch!"

Offline BIGdavalad

• Major Malfunction. Yearns To Be A Crab! MOD Agony Aunt. Dulldream Believer. Is the proud owner of a one year old login time.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: December 7, 2009, 08:37:32 am »
First - Howl at the Moon just round from Central (I think, we are talking 15 years ago) Station

Worst - One4, full of kids who think they're Fiddy Pence

Best - I was usually far too pissed to remember.

Christ, it's a long time since I went out in Liverpool
Joining Betfair? Use the referral code UHHFL6VHG and we'll both get some extra cash.

All of the above came from my head unless otherwise stated. If you have been affected by the issues raised by my post, please feel free to contact us on 0800 1234567 and we will send you an information pack on manning the fuck up.

Offline Shaun101

• Didn't take up his ticket for the Screen Sports Super Cup
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Where did I leave it?
« Reply #20 on: December 7, 2009, 11:10:03 am »
First

One of Secrets then Flames and then the Quad. Not the Quad as in House music but the Quad when it was all chinos and Blazers and Rick Astley haircuts

Best.

Fallows- ahhh have some happy memories

I worked at the Cokey for about 2 years between there and Le Jardin (near Quiggins) had more fun working in clubs than going to them.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #21 on: December 7, 2009, 12:52:48 pm »
First 'Secrets'

Worst 'The State'

Favourite - Pickwicks used to be funny, the Continental was good as well. The Old Streets used to be great.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #22 on: December 7, 2009, 12:56:19 pm »
First - Bunters (051).
Best - The State  8)

Used to go to Chauffers quite a lot myself. Usually found dancing like a divvie after 25 pints of Stella.

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Rusty Oysterburger

• Might be George Gillett
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: December 7, 2009, 01:44:19 pm »
I went to La Bateau on Saturday for the first time in about 3 years and it was great. Good atmosphere, nice range of tunes, £1.20 for a bottle and some mental girl, who was chewing her face off, bouncing off the walls and the ceiling.
www.twitter.com/savagefletch

"'Do it?' Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome? I did it thirty-five minutes ago."

Offline kavah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: December 7, 2009, 05:21:50 pm »
Used to go to Chauffers quite a lot myself. Usually found dancing like a divvie after 25 pints of Stella.

ha ha same, our footie team always seemed to end up there. did you play for us ( Walton Vale ) ?

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #25 on: December 7, 2009, 07:08:04 pm »
Anyone remember The Harry? It used to resemble an Amsterdam coffe shop.
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline pascoli

• Shit Googler & Easily Amused Bar Steward...
  • Legacy Fan
  • PER ARDUA AD ASTRA
« Reply #26 on: December 7, 2009, 07:10:21 pm »
First - The Paradox

Worst  - Secrets

Favourite - Probably the paradox.

A mention has to go out to fallows / the kiss and its £10 to get in and all ya drinks for free nights.
INTERNET TERRORIST. AND PROUD TOO.

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #27 on: December 7, 2009, 07:47:54 pm »
Think me first club was the Pen and Wig.
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #28 on: December 7, 2009, 08:35:25 pm »
ha ha same, our footie team always seemed to end up there. did you play for us ( Walton Vale ) ?

Nah just used to go in there with some of my mates from Giro.

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #29 on: December 8, 2009, 03:19:02 pm »
I'm glad no one has said my club is their worst yet!

Offline Jim Price

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: December 8, 2009, 04:34:59 pm »
First was the Razz, worst was Friday's (or was it Scott's) under the Adelphi. Had some good nights at Nation though probably Paradox was a better club.

Offline waittillmay

• Nicks sweets off kids.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: December 8, 2009, 04:47:16 pm »
First was either the paradox or PJ's which then became howl at the moon. Best was flute and firkin on hardman street which is a pub i know but lived there every night for best part of 2 years, knew everyone in there and got away with murder. Boss times. Worst is probably the cream or similar complete waste of money if you weren't into drugs.

Offline IfOnlyYouKnew

• Slow reader
  • Anny Roader
  • "No truly great man ever thought himself so"
« Reply #32 on: December 8, 2009, 05:41:00 pm »
Late 80's-early 90's

The State. 1 Penny to enter (a 2p piece and you didn't get in!) Always cool Indie Stuff. The Smiths, The Cure, Lloyd Cole and The Commotions etc

The Smiths nights at The Pink Parrot.

Walk betweens between The Mardi and MacMillans! They'd stamp your hand. Macs was Indie, The Mardi was Hip Hop! (Wednesday Nights At The Mardi were cool).

Garlands BEFORE it was garlands (Images!).
The Everyman Bistro!
The Student Union on Maryland Street.
The Lisbon Pub.
The Casablanca.
La Bateau.
Quinns 2 (F*ck me)

The early-Mid 90's.

The Baa Baa (The first! The innovators)
The Heebee Jeebies
The Mellow Mellow
Cream @ Nation (The bad Scalls went to 051, Lee Butler and all that Shit).

The Late 90's

The Living Room,
The Blue Bar,
Mosquito.

Then it got shit.

Offline BIGdavalad

• Major Malfunction. Yearns To Be A Crab! MOD Agony Aunt. Dulldream Believer. Is the proud owner of a one year old login time.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: December 8, 2009, 07:41:31 pm »
PJ's which then became howl at the moon.

Was it PJs first? I could have sworn it was Howl when I first went, for some reason.
Joining Betfair? Use the referral code UHHFL6VHG and we'll both get some extra cash.

All of the above came from my head unless otherwise stated. If you have been affected by the issues raised by my post, please feel free to contact us on 0800 1234567 and we will send you an information pack on manning the fuck up.

Offline todda

• Who the fuck you trying to kid....
  • Legacy Fan
  • My Team, My Club, MY Life!
« Reply #34 on: December 9, 2009, 11:37:40 am »
For me it was Quad Park, then the 051 and then The Cream, sadly all those daze have long gone but, still stored in the memory banks (at least part of it)

The worst night I had was queing for Cream getting about 4 people away from being let in only to be told "door is shut now, club full, do one" great! thenwe wen't to Garlands my mate tried to offer the bouncer a tenner to let us jump the que, so we got knocked back there and ended up in the Club (if you could call it that) uinderneath the Adelphi along with the DJ the bar staff and a few goons who'd been let out of the nuthouse for the night.
"Friend 1st, Boss 2nd,......... Enteratiner 3rd!,  If I was asked to name 3 intellegent people, I wouldn't say Einstein, Newton..... erm you know, I'd Say Cleese, Milligan, Everett................ Sessions!" David Brent.

Offline James B

• anned.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all dream of a team o' Caraghers!
« Reply #35 on: December 9, 2009, 11:39:52 am »
You gotta love the reflex!

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #36 on: December 9, 2009, 12:28:27 pm »
Actually the Mosquito is a top choice someone mentioned. I like the NewZ bar as well.

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: December 9, 2009, 01:02:10 pm »

Then it got shit.

Town always has and always will be shit. The best nights were when you got so off your face you couldn't remember just how shit is.

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Errol Flynn when he's had a few
  • Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
« Reply #38 on: December 9, 2009, 04:44:31 pm »
Never went out in town much, but remember one place called Hollywoods I think, mid-eighties. Wasn't much good. Went to the Cabin and Flintlocks a few times as well.

Early eighties I used to go to Shorrocks in Formby, the Lido and Toad Hall in Ainsdale and a couple of places in Southport; Follies, the Kingsway and one that used to be in the old baths near the new bridge.

Anyone go to Flames in Bootle? Great place.
Legacy fan

Offline kavah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: December 9, 2009, 10:25:33 pm »

Anyone go to Flames in Bootle? Great place.

a couple of times, being a south ender it was a long way for our mob, had a good time like but can't really remember much about it. Everyone had a muzzy i seem to recall :D