Author Topic: Leonardo: Ronaldinho 'not the player he once was'  (Read 8650 times)

Offline kkhaku

• Kaladze
  • Legacy Fan
  • Twitter: k_rrar
Re: Leonardo: Ronaldinho 'not the player he once was'
« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2009, 11:56:26 pm »
Watched their match against Udinese today. Came on when Milan were down 1 nil and really changed the game playing behind the striker. May not have the same strength and speed anymore, and defenders know a bit more about what to expect - but his awareness is still amazing. The amount of thru balls he put in to the strikers in crowded areas within 20 minutes was amazing.

Unfortunately, Leonardo is a bit of a tool. Took off Inzaghi and Pato, and left Ronaldinho with Huntelaar to supply to. The movement in front of him turned to shit, and he still managed to generate quite a few chances himself, even after Milan went down to 10 men.

He may not be the player he once was - but he's nowhere near past it.
"God is dead." - Freidrich Nietzsche, 1882
"Nietzsche is dead." - God, 1900

Offline _00_deathscar

• Has a quite operational deflecsor shield.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
    • The Suite Life by Chinmoy Lad
« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2009, 06:24:30 am »
Same age roughly as Gerrard, and look how Gerrard has kicked on since 2005, to where he's at now..which is somewhere near his peak.

Shows how much football is also really down to mentality at the very, very top level, rather than just ability.
All things luxury travel. Be inspired for your next trip: https://www.thesuitelife.com.hk

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2009, 08:31:28 pm »
He's clearly lost the motivation and that's because of the fall out with Rikjard at Barca

Or because he's a pisshead. He was fat when we beat them in the Nou Camp. Classic Brazilian stuff.
He was unbelievable at his best though. Did things that Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo still don't do.

Offline Xxavi

• Qatari Minister Of Information
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2009, 08:36:41 pm »
Or because he's a pisshead. He was fat when we beat them in the Nou Camp. Classic Brazilian stuff.
He was unbelievable at his best though. Did things that Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo still don't do.
You could also say that Messi does what Ronaldinho never did.

Offline Lent§

• RAWK Stuff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2009, 08:40:11 pm »
psn = Lents123

Offline Surprise me.

• Is 2" bigger than fordy87.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Formerly El Torres.
« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2009, 08:44:22 pm »
really want to see him at the world cup, hopefully he can really get into gear for it at the very least.

Offline koolkamal

• There's a kind of hush
  • Legacy Fan
  • Our dreams are what make us who we are.
« Reply #46 on: September 26, 2009, 09:17:13 pm »
Still think he's a class footballer - he just needs to check the attitude and find that passion and determination.
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them". Walt Disney

Offline Dr Cornwallis

• Ministry of Scilly Talks :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: September 26, 2009, 09:17:32 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoLcISqhZGw the man was class,

Just watched that short clip and then went for a trip down memory lane on Youtube for just about half an hour, just finding all his mad shit.  Just amazing, just truly amazing with the ball at his feet.  I don't think a lack of pace would dampen his ability, if you re-watch all his stuff he never really beat a man for pace ever.  It was his awareness of where other people are, his awareness of the movement of his opponent, and his ability to manipulate the ball under intense pressure that made him stand out.
He could still be a star anywhere.  Whether or not he's too arsed about it is another question altogether.

Offline alfonso

• Simply adores orange squash. With not one, not two either, but yea verily with three, that is correct, THREE ice cubes therein! Do not forget his straw though.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Salford - crime capital of England
« Reply #48 on: September 27, 2009, 07:11:31 am »
A loan option could be a good bet provided Benitez would want to take a punt.

If he is not in the first team week in week out for Milan, then he may consider it.
"I know Liverpool fans care more about their club's success than the national team." Rafael Benitez

"Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second." Bob Paisley

"When zonal marking goes wrong, the system is blamed. When man-to-man marking fails, an individual is blamed and the system goes uncriticised." A LFC fan talking sense

Offline Endoe

• Legacy Fan
  • A liverbird on my chest
« Reply #49 on: September 27, 2009, 08:47:22 am »
I'd have him here for 10m in a heartbeat. It's about fitness for me. Get him fit, off the booze (If he enev is) and he'd add a lot more than say Babel(just an example)

I still believe his best was better that C Ronaldo best and Messi's best. Opininion of course.

Offline all_funkt_up

• ....the valentino of the boards... really knows how to treat a lady.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget. Never Buy the Sun.
    • The Daily Punt
« Reply #50 on: September 27, 2009, 09:38:52 am »
He should follow fat Ronaldo's example.

Go back to Brazil and shag trannies? Dont really see how that helps his career mate...
Roy. Shut up. Just shut up.

Betting Banter and Stuff

http://thedailypunt.com/forum/

"Zlatan was released by Ajax because of his fucking attitude. Released by Juve cos just not good enough to play alongside Trezeguet.
He won't score or make an assist at

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #51 on: September 27, 2009, 09:44:00 am »
Go back to Brazil and shag trannies? Dont really see how that helps his career mate...

:lmao

It's a nice comparision though. Ronaldinho seems to be happy with what he has achieved in football and I don't think he's too arsed whether he plays on a regular basis or not. Compare that to Ronaldo who has suffered some major injuries and looked like he was finished, but he's still going even if it's 'just' back in Brazil.

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Seńor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #52 on: September 27, 2009, 10:15:46 am »
I'd have him here for 10m in a heartbeat. It's about fitness for me. Get him fit, off the booze (If he enev is) and he'd add a lot more than say Babel(just an example)

I still believe his best was better that C Ronaldo best and Messi's best. Opininion of course.

Its not just a lack of fitness is it? Its a lack of the will to get fit again, which is infinitely worse, especially when you consider that he'd be playing for Rafa who definitely wouldn't stand for somebody lazing around when they're clearly not in any state, mentaly or physically, to be playing football at this level.

Offline Endoe

• Legacy Fan
  • A liverbird on my chest
« Reply #53 on: September 27, 2009, 10:34:07 am »
Its not just a lack of fitness is it? Its a lack of the will to get fit again, which is infinitely worse, especially when you consider that he'd be playing for Rafa who definitely wouldn't stand for somebody lazing around when they're clearly not in any state, mentaly or physically, to be playing football at this level.
I know what you're saying. But just imagine even a %75 fit Ronaldinho running round for us. It'd take a lot of pressure off Gerrard/ Torres. Not going to happen, but would love to see it happen in Jan, even as a loan with an option to buy, maybe it'd be the kick up the arse he needs. With the money we've got/ hacen't got it's the type of risks I think we need to take. See Masch for risky deals.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 10:36:10 am by Endoe »

Offline Gaz123456

• Legacy Fan
  • 2005 - The best and worst year of my life
    • Elite Financial Planning Consultants
« Reply #54 on: September 27, 2009, 07:14:50 pm »
I'd have him here in a heartbeat. Can still change games.

Offline INABITSKI

• An own-nut-fondling manly man's wool. Possibly.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: September 27, 2009, 08:58:48 pm »
Just missed an open goal from no more than 10 yrds out. Header which bounced infront of him from the keeper saving a free kick. Hardly watched the game, so not sure how he has done other than that.

Offline Xxavi

• Qatari Minister Of Information
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #56 on: September 27, 2009, 10:06:27 pm »
Ronaldinho, EtoO and Deco not being as good as they were at Barca in their respective clubs got me thinking. Yes, Barca got rid of them (Ronaldinho and Deco) in right time, as they lost interest. But can their failure IN PART be explained that they don't have Barca system around, that they don't have Xavi and Iniesta who keep the ball at least 66% of time and give them the ball time and again?

They were and are great players, but, IMO, Xavi and Iniesta were crucial for their success.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #57 on: September 27, 2009, 10:10:05 pm »
well from what I saw tonight against Bari the only thing Ronaldinho has still got is his smile!
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Seńor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #58 on: September 27, 2009, 10:13:02 pm »
Ronaldinho, EtoO and Deco not being as good as they were at Barca in their respective clubs got me thinking. Yes, Barca got rid of them (Ronaldinho and Deco) in right time, as they lost interest. But can their failure IN PART be explained that they don't have Barca system around, that they don't have Xavi and Iniesta who keep the ball at least 66% of time and give them the ball time and again?

They were and are great players, but, IMO, Xavi and Iniesta were crucial for their success.

Is this the bit where we wank over Barca?

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #59 on: September 27, 2009, 10:16:00 pm »

They weren't. Ronaldinho was pants when he was still with Barca and that's why you got rid of him. Deco is 32 and certainly not getting better as time goes by. He's also facing a lot of competition at Chelsea with Fatty McFat, Ballack, Essien and even Mikel. Of course you'll play better with better players around you and a system that you know very well, but to say that Deco, Ronaldinho and Eto'o (who has just arrived at Inter two months ago or so) are underperforming because they miss Xavi and Iniesta is bollocks...

And wasn't Iniesta injured a lot when Ronaldinho was playing well? I seem to remember something like that.

Offline Alonzo

• Main Stander
« Reply #60 on: September 27, 2009, 10:19:45 pm »
brilliant player back in the day, shame to see him fade away so badly but lets have it right hes no zidane!
Betfair referral code: UEFVVXMMG

Offline alfonso

• Simply adores orange squash. With not one, not two either, but yea verily with three, that is correct, THREE ice cubes therein! Do not forget his straw though.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Salford - crime capital of England
« Reply #61 on: September 28, 2009, 04:51:03 pm »
Stumbled upon this:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=674506&sec=europe&root=europe&cc=4716

Ronaldinho: It's win or bust for me now

September 10, 2009

As the last World Cup season kicked into gear back in 2005, Ronaldinho was universally regarded as the finest player on the planet.

Consistent genius is not a quality too many have perfected over the years, yet the 'goofy one' seemed capable of producing just that as he sparked up stages aplenty with Barcelona and Brazil and targeted glory in a World Cup finals that could have confirmed his legendary status.

As it turned out, the 2006 jamboree in Germany proved to be a tournament to forget for Ronaldinho and Brazil as both the star man and his celebrated team failed to live up to their billing in alarming fashion. A quarter-final exit at the hands of France was all too predictable after some poor displays in the group stages and 'Ronnie's' fall from hero to zero was a rapid one.

Just a few weeks after winning the Champions League with Barcelona, his star was on the wane as the next season got underway and he has never fully rehabilitated himself on the world stage in the years that have followed.

Now 29, he should be at the peak of his powers, yet it is as if his glory days seem long gone. After being eased out of Barcelona in 2008, Ronaldinho's move to AC Milan was designed to reinvigorate his career and yet he has rarely looked like the player who was feared by all in his new Rossoneri colours.

Substituted in the harrowing 4-0 defeat against local rivals Inter in his last Serie A outing, he is in need of a starring performance as Milan take on Livorno this Saturday.

"I realise that I don't have the right to fail this season," begins Ronaldinho. "It really is win or bust for me from now on. I had such high hopes after arriving at Milan and was devastated I could only partially show everybody what I'm capable of.

"Now I have got a second chance to make a great impact here and I'm hoping to turn the negative feelings I had into one big positive. I'm 150% ready to show everyone in Italy the real Ronaldinho. I'm burning to give the Milan fans the trophies they crave, as well as a lot of spectacle and entertainment. Every player at Milan is expected to find that little bit extra to get the club back on the right path as we need to be winning every season.

"That is especially true now that we are without Kaka and his departure leaves me feeling as if I have a lot of new responsibilities. We've lost a world-beater and a standard-bearer of the club, but now we have to go forward. If the fans stick with us, we can deliver in both in Serie A and the Champions League and it is up to me and the other senior players to lead the way and inspire those around us."

Ronaldinho's positive vibes need to be backed up with performances and the early signs are not good for a Kaka-less Milan this season. New coach Leonardo is already under pressure and the senior players in his squad need to fuse together quickly to create a competitive unit as Serie A swings back into gear after the international break.

"It has become a trend to say Milan are in crisis," continues Ronaldinho. "When I look at all the champions we have in this squad, I don't feel desolate and we can bounce back from our disappointments. I have never been one for half-hearted ambition. We have the ability to beat Inter, Juventus and the rest to the Serie A title and simply have to believe it.

"The journalists may not consider Milan to be serious contenders anymore, so it's up to us to prove them wrong. This lack of respect will spur us on and one big difference compared to last season is that we are all fit now.

"The Gods were not in our corner last season because the injuries we suffered were beyond belief, totally crazy. When you lose key guys like [Alessandro] Nesta, [Gennaro] Gattuso and [Andrea] Pirlo for long periods, there are bound to be bad consequences. We were fighting with only half our weapons, so hopefully we'll be playing to another script this season.

"Also, we are all fully behind our coach and want to help him to succeed at Milan. Leo is a very intelligent guy. Of course, as a Brazilian he has a romantic approach to the game, but at the same time, he has absorbed a lot of ideas from European football. He's a clever organiser and knows how to communicate with top players."

A return to form for Ronaldinho may be the quickest way for Leonardo and Milan to answer their critics and the man who wears the No.80 shirt insists his motivation is as high as ever as he enters another World Cup season.

"I started last season on cloud nine and felt as if I was getting my old sensations back," he concludes. "I was enjoying myself again and when I scored the winner in the derby against Inter, I felt as one with the fans.

"Then it did not progress. I had a leg muscle injury and in the second half of the season the coach (Carlo Ancelotti) didn't want to use me. He thought the team had a better balance without me. Naturally I didn't agree and I tried to show in training that I still had a lot to offer the team. It had no effect as I don't think I was Ancelotti's type of player.

"Now I want to prove I can be as good as before. I very much appreciate that the club owner Silvio Berlusconi and Leonardo have faith in me. It's great to have their backing and it's also fantastic that my team-mates are close to me. They want me to succeed and I always perform at my best when I'm completely at ease in my surroundings. That's the way it is for me in Milan today.

"I'm determined to prove that Ronaldinho did not die when he left Barcelona. I'm still only 29 and far from at the end of the line. I have plenty more goals to aim for, both collectively with Milan and individually."

They may be the words of a player trying to convince himself that his revival is imminent, but those who have watched Ronaldinho in action over the last couple of years can only come to the conclusion that he is a player in terminal decline.

"I know Liverpool fans care more about their club's success than the national team." Rafael Benitez

"Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second." Bob Paisley

"When zonal marking goes wrong, the system is blamed. When man-to-man marking fails, an individual is blamed and the system goes uncriticised." A LFC fan talking sense

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #62 on: September 28, 2009, 04:59:53 pm »
Good interview, let's hope he can fulfil his true potential and get back
to being one of the best in the world.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Dr Cornwallis

• Ministry of Scilly Talks :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: September 29, 2009, 09:21:49 am »
I feel sorry for the lad because Milan's success and failure will ultimately be considered in his hands solely.  People forget there are another 10 players on the pitch who have to give 100% as well, and yet the spotlight is firmly shone in Ronaldinho's face and not Pato's, Seedorf's, Huntelaar's, or Pirlo's mugs.
And lest you forget he has 10 goals in 38 games for them so far, he hasn't exactly been shit.

Offline myrlas